Print Page | Close Window

Factory paint in 1965

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Body/Interior
Forum Description: Paint, glass, interior, rust, sheetmetal goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90239
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 5:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Factory paint in 1965
Posted By: Raccoonman
Subject: Factory paint in 1965
Date Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 12:32pm
What type of paint was AMC using in '65? Mainly curious. Where the paint hasn't come off, it looks solid. funny that the entire roof has little to no remaining paint on top, just the A pillars and C pillars. 

Replies:
Posted By: rocklandrambler
Date Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 1:24pm
AMC's used an acrylic enamel.  It should be stated on your door tag.

-------------
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H

Date Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 3:26pm
Looking at some color chip charts on the web, it seems that my Classic is/was Viscount Blue. Quite attractive color IMHO. Wish more of the car had good paint on it! Will definitely try to duplicate it after all this mechanical work is out of the way.

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 8:55pm
Baked acrylic enamel. It is rock hard and very durable. I've found it is harder and more durable than modern paint. 

I have several cars with original acrylic enamel on them. If you accidentally brush past them with a piece of metal on your clothing, like a zipper or jeans rivets, it won't scratch the paint. It scratches the metal piece of your clothing off onto the paint, which can then be polished off with very little effort. The paint is literally harder than some brass or steel alloys. 

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: tyrodtom
Date Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 6:47am
That's a little bit of a exaggeration there FSJunkie.

I was working on these cars straight off the transporter in 1973,  and was fresh out of the Army, still wore my old brass buckled fatigue belt.

I learned right quick you didn't lean out over a car and let your belt buckle come in contact with the paint, or the buttons on your shirt either.  Even though the paint was oven baked at 275+ degrees,  the paint didn't fully cure all the way through till several weeks later.

I agree the old oven baked acrylic enamel was tougher than anything they've come up with yet, except the full urethane paints like Imron.
  But they weren't perfect, cars still paint chipped from gravel, and other road debris,  and factories still had their occasional paint failures.

-------------
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.

Posted By: Devilboy
Date Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 9:08am
Mine was a nice metallic Viscount Blue too. Where it hasn't faded is nice. The rest, no so much. I feel your struggle Raccoonman. I would love to return mine to it's original color too.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
http://theamcforum.com/forum/devilboys-1965-american-330_topic88300.html" rel="nofollow">1965 American 330

Posted By: Samuelsc360
Date Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 10:24am
I'm a long time body and paint man. If I remember correctly, Acrylic Enamel didn't come out until 1966. Ford was the first to use it. Before then it was Nitrocellulose Lacquer or Synthetic Enamel.

Eugene

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 3:15pm
Yep.  I thought it was alkyd enamel (cured by losing the solvents only) before the acrylic enamel (indicated by an "A" in the paint code was used.  Acrylic enamel cures by chemical crosslinking and I don't the the chemistry had been used in production until about the time AMC began using it.  Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Posted By: Devilboy
Date Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 3:57pm
Weird. Mine is a 1965 and has an A paint code. P6A. Viscount Blue Metallic.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
http://theamcforum.com/forum/devilboys-1965-american-330_topic88300.html" rel="nofollow">1965 American 330

Date Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 6:09pm
The door plate on my 66 says it's acrylic enamel,  not just a a A in the code,  but it states on the plate the car is finished in oven baked acrylic enamel.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 10:36am
Would a gallon of primer/sealer and a gallon of color be enough to do the whole car? 

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Raccoonman Raccoonman wrote:

Would a gallon of primer/sealer and a gallon of color be enough to do the whole car? 

yes
I prefer a single stage paint, it looks more period correct than base coat clear coat.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:08pm
I didn't know they still made it that way. (not a paint and body guy at all, you can tell). Still, how much primer and actual color to do the whole car (less jambs, since they're the color I'm going for)?

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:10pm
sorry, I didn't realized you'd already answered that! Cool. Now, to learn HVLP painting on the run....

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:15pm
So, in my infinite ignorance of things paint related; single stage would be urethane, or acrylic? Best question: If I go to the paint store and tell the the results I'm looking for, would they be able to fix me up?

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:15pm

..... Cool. Now, to learn HVLP painting on the run....

Follow my posts in projects, Ollie's Postal Jeep. I am in process of giving it jack leg body and paint job.

Buy those cheap Harbor Freight paint guns and have fun.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
http://theamcforum.com/forum/rapid-deliveryollies-postal-jeep_topic67223.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/rapid-deliveryollies-postal-jeep_topic67223.html

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:22pm

.........If I go to the paint store and tell the the results I'm looking for, would they be able to fix me up?

Stick with one brand paint and know what u want....yes. I like Dupont and I go the cheapest, but its good paint. I like Nason Acrylic.

A urethane primer is ok for me, but the secret is the primer, a better one is better.

Remember the primer and top coat have to be compatible.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 4:51pm
I would steer as far away from a harbor Freight paint gun as I could get,  you won't have any fun with one.  It like trying to hunt with a gun that hits 6 inches off from your aim point,  in different directions every time you shoot.
  You won't know if the faults you see come from the gun, you,  the product,  or your prep.

You can get single stage paint in any paint, lacquer, enamel, acrylic enamel, or urethane.
 You can get acrylic lacquer, acrylic enamel,  or acrylic urethane,  so just saying acrylic tells the paint store nothing.

I've paid over $700 for a spray gun,   sounds like a luxury,  but it paid for itself in about a year in reduced paint wastage,  and the labor it saved me in getting a excellent paint finish. 

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 7:02pm
I'm not trying to get you to buy a $700 spraygun,   just invest at least $100 in one,  it will pay for itself in the paint you won't waste.  I've seen some spray guns that seem more efficient at polluting the air than putting paint on a surface.

As for how much primer you'll need ?  That depends entirely on how much work, bodywork,  etc. your're doing on the car.

How much paint ?  A  gallon of most colors should do any car.   Some colors cover better than others.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 7:46pm
The whole exterior will need sanded down to bare metal and a little rust repair done before primer and paint. The hood ought to be replaced, but I will try to repair the front edge first. The sides are really the only semi solid finish left, and they're rough. I've rattle canned a couple of BMW 2002's before, just to get them all one color overall.

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Yep.  I thought it was alkyd enamel (cured by losing the solvents only) before the acrylic enamel (indicated by an "A" in the paint code was used.  Acrylic enamel cures by chemical crosslinking and I don't the the chemistry had been used in production until about the time AMC began using it.  Joe
 Your right it cure`s chemically and through evaporation of solvents

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net