Print Page | Close Window

360 Knock at Idle

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90002
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 3:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 360 Knock at Idle
Posted By: Brynjaminjones
Subject: 360 Knock at Idle
Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 4:57am
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this place and the world of V8s, so please be gentle! I have had a search but struggled to find anything.

I've recently bought a 1991 Grand Wagoneer with a stock 360 V8, albeit running on LPG/propane. The clock shows 106,XXX (about 104,500 when I bought it). 

About 10 days/400 miles ago I gave it an oil change. The oil that came out was quite black, and the (Mopar) filter was well seized on. 
Prior to the oil change, oil pressure when warm was at about 35-40 at 60mph on the highway, with it dropping slightly below the first bar (so about ~8) at warm idle, but would jump up the moment I got on the gas. 
I know these gauges aren't known for their accuracy, but it seems like a decent representation. I'd also like to say that I have low voltage at idle, which I think is causing the gauge to drop ever so slightly lower than it should. 

Anyway, I replaced the filter with a Wix 51626 and filled her up with Valvoline VR-1 20W50. The oil level is a bit above the full line, as I've read that these like a bit extra.

With this new oil the pressure is much improved. When cold it sits at 60 or slightly above. When warm it's about 40-45 on the highway, 50ish when accelerating and about 10 at warm idle.

I've done a few hundred miles like this with no problems.
However, I noticed a few days ago whilst stuck in traffic that it has developed a new knocking noise at warm idle.
I can't hear it at all when the engine is cold, but once warmed up and let to idle there's a definite dull knock (sounds a bit like knocking your fist gently on a desk). It's quite a slow, consistent knock - I'd say once per engine revolution. 

I first noticed it inside the car, coming through the firewall. On inspection last night you can also easily hear it in the engine bay, although I wasn't able to pinpoint further. 
The sound is inaudible once the engine speeds up, although of course it's hard to tell if this is because it stops or because it gets drowned out. 

For those of you familiar with the 4.0 in a Jeep XJ, inside the car it sounds much like when the EVAP purge solenoid starts clicking.

I'm so used to the 4.0 engines which have been making noise for years, but I can't help but worry about this. 
The oil pressure hasn't changed its behaviour. 

From experience, where would you guys say I should start looking?

Apologies for the long read and whiny first proper post, but I'd rather give too much information than too little!

Replies:
Posted By: Lyle
Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 11:24am
Knock at idle can be from simple to difficult to just all out bad.
The list, and it won't be complete:
bent dip stick -  hits the crank
distributor cap or rotor interference
fan blade hitting shroud - usually a bad water pump bearing or bent pulley
starter not completely disengaged and hitting a spot on the ring gear or broken tooth
bad/sticking lifter
bent or broken valve
bent or broken crankshaft - yes I have seen an engine run with the crank completely broken at the connecting rod bearing.
piston hitting valve or head - bad bearing, bent rod, broken rod, bad piston ...
bad connecting rod - see piston
connecting rod hitting block - see piston

Your going to have to narrow down were the knock is coming from to determine a better diagnosis.

Posted By: vinny
Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 11:26am
First I would do a compression check to make sure the pistons are OK. I have seen it before with propane or natural gas conversions that they can run lean and destroy pistons or do other damage. Burning through pistons was on Grumman delivery vans with the GM350 running on LNG. I've also heard a pickup backfire through the carb to the point of blowing off the plastic intake manifold. That was also on a GM V8 converted to propane.

The dirty oil surprises me though because usually when on propane it comes out very clean.

Placing an iron bar to the ear helps in locating from where the noise is coming from.

Posted By: tufcj
Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 11:39am
You could pull one plug wire at a time when it's knocking. If the knock goes away with the cylinder not firing, it's almost always a rod knock. Not good, but at least it would isolate it.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford

Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 12:59pm
Thanks for the help guys. I'll use this advice to start narrowing down.
I was of course aware I'd need to investigate further, but didn't really know where to start!

Dummies' question, but is it okay to pull the spark led off whilst the engine is running? I'm sure I've done it in the past but just want to check!

Posted By: A0M190Y
Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 3:40pm
I bought a Grand Wagoneer years ago from a dealer that had the same issue. Worked good for the first couple of thousand miles then and then started to knock. Turns out the crank was shot and the dealer just put new bearings in to get it to last a little longer. Ended up needing a new engine.   

Posted By: tufcj
Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Brynjaminjones Brynjaminjones wrote:

Dummies' question, but is it okay to pull the spark led off whilst the engine is running? I'm sure I've done it in the past but just want to check!

It's OK, just use insulated tools. Quite a jolt, and lots of them if you become the ground point.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford

Posted By: Hurst390
Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 4:42pm
I've had stock fuel pumps make a knocking noise years ago..use a piece of hose held to you ear as a stethoscope and try to pin point the location.
If you think it is a rod bearing I would pull the plugs and spin it over and listen to each plug hole..that will tell you if you have a bad bearing

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Sep/28/2017 at 10:13am
You stated "original 1991" and that brought to mind another knock or loud tick at idle that is hard to find. Take a look at the exhaust manifolds and especial the dilution tubes. A leak there can also produce this noise but is often overlooked. The tubes tend to rot or crack near the manifold connection.

Date Posted: Sep/28/2017 at 4:05pm
Thanks again for all the help guys. I've been having a play today.
I tightened all the manifold bolts and found some were loose. Having been for a drive though I don't think that's helped.

I've been out in her this evening and I really have a hard time believing that it's an unhealthy engine. The oil pressure is good and at anything other than idle she's perfect. Even at idle, the noise isn't immediately noticeable.

I did also loosen the belts, and I noticed that there is some play in the water pump. I've uploaded a video:

I assume that's not normal - do you think that could be it? The fan doesn't noticeably wobble, and as I said the knock is only when the engine is warm.

Another thing I was wondering - when I'm on LPG the gas supply is shut off. Could this wear out the fuel pump and cause it to knock?   https://youtu.be/j5JUpXT7M-w - https://youtu.be/j5JUpXT7M-w

Posted By: mstrcrftr
Date Posted: Sep/28/2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

I've had stock fuel pumps make a knocking noise years ago..use a piece of hose held to you ear as a stethoscope and try to pin point the location.
If you think it is a rod bearing I would pull the plugs and spin it over and listen to each plug hole..that will tell you if you have a bad bearing

Wow, i havent heard any speak of that method in years.  Very old school and very very effective.  ^5 Hurst390.

Posted By: Boris Badanov
Date Posted: Sep/28/2017 at 5:52pm
Dry fuel pump will eventually self destruct.

Has it got headers?

They can leak at one port (and often do)
resulting in a rod knock like noise.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Sep/28/2017 at 11:44pm
use a dowl rod or broom handle or some thing that will transfer sound hold it to he ear and to different parts of motor will help find the knock lose torq convertor bolts will knock

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 2:28am
Cool, thanks guys. I need to find out how the LPG/gas system works and where exactly it cuts off the fuel, as I'm wondering if the pump could be running dry.

It doesn't have headers - just the original cast style manifold.
Whilst inspecting last night I noticed that the air pump has been removed, and as such it looks like any other ports on the exhaust have been plugged (although I'm not quite sure what the original setup would've been).

In case it was missed in my previous post, I've also got a video of some play in the water pump shaft. This is with the belts slackened off:

Do you think this could cause a knock that would only be audible when warm? I'm wondering if it could get worse once the viscous fan is locking-up, putting more force on the shaft?

Date Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 5:58am
No video, but there should be NO observable axial play.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 6:20am
Video should be sorted now - my bad!
There definitely seems to be some play.

Posted By: amcfool1
Date Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 7:35am
if your water pump shaft has play in it, its bad, thats your knock. happened to my a couple of years ago. Replace water pump, no more knock. good luck, gz

-------------
george z

Date Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 11:33am
Yep, the water pump is totally screwed.
Agreed, that's your knock.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Oct/03/2017 at 2:28am
Thanks for the help guys. The cooling system needs a good flush anyway, but unfortunately I don't have the means to do so at home, so it's booked in for a replacement next week. 
I'll report back to confirm whether that was the problem!

Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 3:00am
Hi Guys,

After an eventful week in the shop (many snapped bolts), the water pump has successfully been changed.

This has got rid of the severe play in the shaft, although the viscous fan clutch has a little play too.

At first it seemed like the knock was gone, but a couple of days later I noticed that it's back. 
The Jeep drives beautifully (mechanic said the same - I forgot to ask him to listen for the knock but he evidently didn't notice it) and I've put a few hundred miles on it with no change in sound. The knock still isn't really audible when the engine is cold (this could be because of all the other noise), or at anything much above idle. 

I've not got a video of my Jeep, but the one in this video sounds the same to me in both sound and speed:

Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 6:47am
Definitely a knock and not what I would describe as an exhaust leak sound or valve train.
Try changing your oil up a grade or two, i.e. 10w30 to 15W40 or a straight 30 weight.
If that knock changes or goes away you will know it's related to bearings, rods or pistons.
I,m just guessing hear from a distance but being an AMC V8 I would suspect #7 or #8 rod bearing has spun/worn and the piston is just touching the head at idle. At speed the oil pressure is enough to form a wedge that fills the void and the knock is gone.
If correct it may not be that bad as a refresh and new bearings, cam, lifters ... may be all that is required.
Not what you want to hear but a nice looking truck and worth the effort.
Why does the text keep changing size on on this forum???

Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 7:36am
Thank you for the advice.
If that is indeed the case, how quickly might I expect it to get noticeably worse?

The truck in the video isn't actually mine, and it's owner says it's done 7,000+ miles since that video with no change. 

I'll try to get a video later of my Waggy later when I get back from work.

I don't know what oil this motor was using before but this noise only started recently, not long after a switch to 20W50. 
With that being the case, I guess switching to a heavier grade as diagnosis isn't really possible. 
This oil has bumped up my oil pressure. 

Is it also possible that this could be the fuel pump? My impression is that this noise is at half engine RPM, which to my understanding limits the number of things it's likely to be. 

Whatever it is, it will be fixed. This Wagoneer is my dream car, a final edition in Hunter Green, and I can't see there ever being a point I'd give up on her!

Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 11:55am
I've just got back from work (25 miles there and back in the Wagoneer today) and taken a video of how it's sounding nice and warm after the drive.
You should be able to hear the knock - I'd say it's at about half engine speed, so maybe 300-350bpm.

Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 12:19pm
I still suspect rod bearings 7 & 8. The knock at rpm change and frequency would be about right and the distinct change at idle. The exhaust is not showing smoke so is just transferring noise. 
I've seen an AMC V8 go 10,000 miles like this but it was scrap metal at the end.
If required for a short time, put in heavier oil but if it was mine I'd be tearing it down while there is still a chance of relatively cheap rebuild.
That clean exhaust tells me the pistons, rings, valves and valve train are likely still in good condition.

Posted By: DaemonForce
Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 2:52pm
I'm willing to bet it's a main bearing as mentioned. Is it a good weekend to pull that thing? Ermm

-------------
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72

Posted By: limachine
Date Posted: Oct/18/2017 at 7:31pm
Have you run the engine with the belts off? You can do this, but I'd recommend a cold motor and not for more than a minute. I have a buddy sit in the vehicle and start it while I poke around under the hood, have him shut it once I get the info. If there's no noise, its a belt or a pulley. Might be difficult to pinpoint if it only happens on a hot motor. Also, if you suspect a fuel pump, unbolt it and pull it out of the way, run it a minute and listen. I've had a 390 fuel pump sound like a knock and found it that way. There's enough fuel in the carb to keep it running a short time.
In my experience, gasoline engines converted to propane don't last long without mechanical problems. It's like running jet fuel. In the late 70's, early 80's, Ford in America experimented with propane conversions without much success. That was probably mostly due to technology. About 12 years ago, GM offered propane powered vehicles and we replaced ALOT of engines at the dealer from mechanical failures.

Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 2:28am
Thanks guys. What's the likelihood of it being a flex-plate? I figure I should check before doing anything else. Is it just a case of removing an inspection cover?

As for running on propane, it's actually reasonably common over here in the UK. Our 4.0 ZJ has been on it with no engine problems for the last 75,000 miles (now at ~145k).
Lots of guys in Aus seem to run these AMC V8s on it too.
I think you're right though, that it can cause issues on a lot of engines.
On those where it does cause mechanical problems, my research shows that it generally seems to be top end though, such as causing valve seat recession.

If my problem was caused by a bad main, would I have noticed a change in oil pressure?

Posted By: DaemonForce
Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 5:15am
Check your torque converter bolts and find out? Embarrassed

-------------
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72

Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 5:24am
I'll have a look. 
Not much time for investigating this at the moment, so I just want to check feasibility before I waste time chasing something that wouldn't show these symptoms Smile

Posted By: LakesideRamblin
Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 8:32am
Also could be a worn piston skirt. Won't get worse but Won't get better. Most noticeable at idle, not so much if at all under pressure. Several causes are possible for piston skirt wear. You Tube it for more information. Good luck!

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Posted By: Midnight Rambler
Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Brynjaminjones Brynjaminjones wrote:

Thanks guys. What's the likelihood of it being a flex-plate? I figure I should check before doing anything else. Is it just a case of removing an inspection cover?

As for running on propane, it's actually reasonably common over here in the UK. Our 4.0 ZJ has been on it with no engine problems for the last 75,000 miles (now at ~145k).
Lots of guys in Aus seem to run these AMC V8s on it too.
I think you're right though, that it can cause issues on a lot of engines.
On those where it does cause mechanical problems, my research shows that it generally seems to be top end though, such as causing valve seat recession.

If my problem was caused by a bad main, would I have noticed a change in oil pressure?
A bad flexplate would probably cause a vibration.  I would think if it were compromised to the point of making a noise that the car wouldn't be driveable.

-------------

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp

Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 1:26pm
Cool, having listened to it again I don't think that is the cause.

I took the belts off tonight and started it cold - turns out the noise does seem to be there when cold after all.
Have a listen, it sounds a bit more ticky today:

Posted By: vinny
Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 4:07pm
Sounds like valves to me.

Posted By: limachine
Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 6:49pm
Yeah I hear a valve tick. Maybe an exhaust leak. Hold your hand over the exhaust pipe and temporarily block it to see if the tick gets louder. Wear an insulated glove or use a rag, don't get burned. Try it cold, then warm. If its an exhaust leak, you'll force the air back up the pipe and out the leak. Just hold your hand over the pipe for a few seconds, let off, cover it again a few seconds, back and forth until you're sure it's not an exhaust leak.

Date Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 10:21pm
So yes the knock changes frequency and pitch when you have taken forces off the front of the crankshaft.
If it is exhaust there should be no change, belts on or off.
That stated, now it does sound higher up and more like a valve noise but the video is just from one side and before the knock was just as loud at the bottom of the engine?
I would be pulling the heads in place and inspect valves/valve train and pistons. Still just guess work at this point.

Date Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 2:42am
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't have time at the moment to look at this myself, so will be sending it to my local Jeep specialist as soon as possible.

Lyle, my thinking is that the change in pitch and frequency is probably more to do with the fact that this was a cold start rather than warm, although I've not ruled out the possibility that I have a knock when warm and a lifter issue when cold!

Date Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 1:50pm
If it knocks only at half normal engine idle speed......
that's normal!

I still suspect a small engine exhaust leak.

Converter bolts are worth a look.

If loose, blue locktight them and torque them to spec.

I really like the no belt test, but not for too long.
Awesome idea there.

Piston slap, wrist pin slap, main bearing and or timing
chain slap can be potential causes.

Avoid an easter egg hunt, stay with the cheep stuff first.

-------------
Gremlin Dreams

Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 12:12pm
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I thought it would be helpful to put what I eventually discovered the problem to be.

It turns out that my knock at idle was actually a timing issue. When cold, yes, the valve-train was making some noise, but when hot I was getting an idle knock.

My 360 usually runs on propane, and I noticed that when I switched to gas the problem completely went away.

I had the timing adjusted and now it runs much, much smoother at idle, has more performance, and best of all the knock is totally gone. Looks like the timing was just out for propane all along!

Posted By: Jmerican
Date Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 1:21pm
I'm a pessimist and a realist. Go through the engine. Give it a light rebuild. Perhaps put a mechanical reference gauge on for oil pressure. Just know that likely, it's the inevitable backslide of a jeep engine. A cam bearing or two flaked apart causing oil pressure drop, the pump housing a little opened up, a bunch of heat crossover sludge damage, timing chain, bridged pivot rockers taken out by the sludge. Even on propane. It's old. Get it while you can do an easy freshen up, but budget for more. 
Maybe it's just rockers, but, it's a nice Grand, freshen it up. 

Posted By: The Anti Chrysler
Date Posted: Nov/30/2018 at 10:03am
Rod knocks tend to get louder as the engine warms up, and under load and/or with more throttle. The fact that yours didn't do that, plus the excellent oil pressure, tells you that it probably wasn't a rod knocking.

Now that it's fixed, go drive and enjoy it.

Date Posted: Nov/30/2018 at 10:49am
Thanks guys, it's been pretty good since then - I've put around 10,000 miles on it since the knock went away and it's just gotten better with time (until very recently).

Jmerican, I guess you're talking about my other post, where I now have a damaged rocker. Yeah, I'm going to fix it for now but I'm well aware that this engine is coming up for a rebuild. 

In the not-too-distant future I will be budgeting for the engine to be pulled and given a good going through.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net