Print Page | Close Window

Bought Myself a Jeep

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: Competition
Forum Name: Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
Forum Description: Rock crawling events or results, Muddin' it through the riverbed with your Eagle
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89787
Printed Date: Mar/29/2024 at 3:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bought Myself a Jeep
Posted By: WesternRed
Subject: Bought Myself a Jeep
Date Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 5:24pm
Just bought myself a 1982 Jeep:

Don't know too much about it yet, 360 powered and I assume Aussie assembled.

Doesn't run, but hopefully not too much wrong with it.

Replies:
Posted By: JERSEYJOE
Date Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 5:33pm
Nice. I had several of those in my day. Right hand drive is interesting to us here! How many miles on it>

-------------
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Posted By: amcglass
Date Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 6:28pm
COOL

-------------
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin

Posted By: hassyfoto
Date Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 7:33pm
Thumbs Up

-------------
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Posted By: idrambler
Date Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 10:09am
COOL...I have a 1990 Jeep GW....mother MOPAR built but AMC 360 powered....still had AMC logos on the hoses....

-------------
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727

Date Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 5:25pm
I'm still waiting for the tilt tray driver to pick it up for me, it is a Jeep after all , so I still haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

Date Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 6:49am
Few more pics of the Jeep:

Arrived home in a fitting manner for a Jeep:

Gotta love the license plate:

The bad side, the rest of the flat black needs to go anyway, but the body itself is pretty solid:

360 power to match the plates:

Interior doesn't look too bad other than the steering wheel being in a funny location:

Just have to see if I can get it running now.

Date Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 8:36am
Had a bit of a tinker today.

Checked fluids, all fine except the radiator is dry.

Swapped out the dead battery so it now has some power.

Turned the engine over by hand to find that its not seized.

Ran power direct to the starter solenoid and it cranks over fine on the starter.

Bypassed the transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator as a precaution after the experience of my Gremlin filling up the transmission with coolant due to a leak there. I also found that it has had an external transmission cooler installed so the one in the radiator is pretty much redundant anyway.

Found that someone has installed one of those cheap facet electric fuel pumps, which makes a heck of a racket when you power it up, but I haven't determined if it will actually pump fuel yet. I will probably just go back to a mechanical pump for simplicity anyway. I had to buy one for my Gremlin a couple of weeks back and in my wisdom bought a second spare one at the time, so I must have known something was coming.

found the Jeep has the remnants of a dual fuel LPG (propane) system and also an electronic security immobiliser installed, neither of which are likely to be functional, so I'm now trying to work out a minimalist wiring setup for the ignition to bypass all of that and see if it will actually fire up.

Wish me luck.

Posted By: steinercj5
Date Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 9:57am
I like it- hope you get it going without too much trouble. Some interesting "upgrades" like the cowl hood, steering wheel cover, and awesome dash cover. Enjoy it.

Date Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 7:32pm
Busy day at work:

PS: Steinercj5, I'm pretty sure all of those awesome upgrades will end up in the bin.

Date Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 9:35am
     A few years ago I picked up an '83 J10 sportside. The biggest problems were trying to figure out the previous owners "fixes".
    First was finding out why the crankcase had as much gasoline in it as it had oil. It seems the mechanical fuel pump failed so they installed a tiny inline electric pump spliced into the fuel line on the frame rail. Apparently it was pushing gas right past the mechanical fuel pump and into the crankcase.
     Next was (I assume) spark/timing issues. This one took me a bit to figure out because it was a wiring mess. They had installed a 70's points distributor in place of the electronic dist. (I didn't realize this until I was looking at another 83 for reference) and yes it was installed wrong too. Numerous small hack fixes a also.
     Good luck with yours and keep us posted on progress as you fix "fixes"and get it going again.

Date Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 6:00pm
Had to put fuel in the tank, swap the carby out and run power direct to the ignition and starter, so now it runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfG2mD_nHwc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfG2mD_nHwc

Doesn't move yet though, will add some more transmission fluid today and see if that helps.

Date Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 9:29pm
A couple of litres of Dex III seems to have restored motion.

Now I seem to have an overheating problem to work on.

Date Posted: Sep/24/2017 at 8:01am
Moving along now, bit of 4 wheel driving in the back yard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8cn-vD1Ho" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8cn-vD1Ho

Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 8:23am
Nice to see it running and driving. Are you going to leave it as is or are mods planned?

Date Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 9:15am
Nothing major planned, just paint it properly and fix other stuff as needed.

I did take it out for a drive on the road and it seems the tyres are square, it also looks like one of the front brake callipers is seized, so a few more things to fix along the way.

I also made the mistake of testing the tailgate window, of course the switch on the tailgate decided to self destruct when I got the window all of the way down, there goes half a day.

Posted By: hassyfoto
Date Posted: Oct/03/2017 at 9:51pm
Thumbs Up

-------------
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Posted By: amcglass
Date Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 5:21am
why is it the windows mechanics always break when a window is down?

-------------
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin

Date Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 10:27am
Have you heard of Sod's Law?

Sod's Law states that Murphy was an optimist.

Posted By: FASTNASH
Date Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 7:17am
Very cool looking Jeep.

-------------
AMO#3040 NAMDRA#1115 AMC's are just like potato chips you just can't have one.              

Date Posted: May/20/2023 at 6:27am
Well I ended up selling the black Jeep fairly quickly, decided it needed too much work to do what I wanted, sort of regretted it ever since, well not really, it did need a lot of work, but did have a decent body. Was good to see it pop up recently looking much better with a new backyard paint job.

I've been back in the hunt for a while and managed to pick up this beauty today:

It's in pretty decent survivor condition and is running the 258 inline six with a 5 speed manual transmission, quite a rare combination in this country as most were 360 automatics. Hopefully wont take too much to get it on the road, does run and drive. 

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Posted By: PAGAENT
Date Posted: May/20/2023 at 10:05am
Aerodynamically that front bumper may be an improvement over the Gremlin. 

-------------
Pat Gary

Date Posted: May/20/2023 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by PAGAENT PAGAENT wrote:

Aerodynamically that front bumper may be an improvement over the Gremlin. 

Lightweight too, made of aluminum.

-------------

Posted By: PAGAENT
Date Posted: May/20/2023 at 3:25pm
Are your rules strict about retaining factory sheet metal & accessories? Did AMC produce any GT parts for the Gremlin that you might copy if none are available? My Pinto was originally a 71 model but I swapped later parts & turned it into a 77. It had aluminum bumpers, better grill and headlight surrounds and the all important deck spoiler which allowed speeds above 180, that probably was more important than the air dam for stability as well as traction. Your software demo is a really great tool, is there a 3-D camera available for more precise calc's? In the past I have seen stainless deflectors mounted above the rear window to force air down maybe to keep the window clean but would help relieve some drag. Extending your belly pan from the center crossmember up to the radiator would clean up some turbulence also. Study your rules carefully to see what is allowed. At the end of the day enjoy that it's not an LS Camaro.

-------------
Pat Gary

Date Posted: May/21/2023 at 9:21am
The Jeep should be just the thing for towing the race car around if the old Aussie advertising is to be believed:

Kicked things off by using the trailer as a bit of a wash bay and hit the underside with the Karcher to get the accumulated mud off, pretty happy with the general lack of rust on the bottom of it:

First cab off the rank will be some new rear brakes:

Rear springs are a bit interesting, not sure if the leaf on the bottom is factory or an added override spring:

First Rockauto order is in, lots of brake stuff, some engine gaskets and new radiator hoses, has been off the road since 2008 if the old rego sticker on the windscreen is anything to go by.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/15/2023 at 7:32pm
While I was waiting on parts orders, I decided to do the first restoration job, pulled the towbar off:

Did away with the unnecessary brackets, not sure if they were for maybe swing out spare tire mounts or some sort of load distribution system for for towing, but they were pretty ugly and most likely to be the source of future injuries. Gave it a bit of a sand blast and a fresh coat of paint:

If you thought modern day 3500 kg towing capacities were a bit of a stretch, how about this, hard to imagine the old 258 would be capable of shifting 4500 kg.

Well the rear brake fix escalated somewhat:

Just needed a bit of a clean up, factory LSD in the AMC 20, probably worn full to full slip now, but will get some fresh oil at least:

I do like the added drinks holder:

Sadly I suspect I'll need to cut that off to pass the licensing inspection. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net