Print Page | Close Window

No power to Radio...Marlin

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Electrical - non engine
Forum Description: Charging systems, lights, non-ignition system, it goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89737
Printed Date: Apr/16/2024 at 4:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: No power to Radio...Marlin
Posted By: AMXAL
Subject: No power to Radio...Marlin
Date Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 8:32pm
I have a 67 Marlin that has been totally restored within the last 3 years. Last weekend I was at a car show and we were hit with a downpour, I did not notice any issues afterward but today I went out to use the car and my radio is not working same for the turn signals and backup lights, I checked the TSM and the wiring diagram shows all three go through the same fuse, I checked the fuse at the block and nothing, I also noticed when I tested the other circuits on the panel that the fuse next to the problem area is also dead, the other circuits are good (hot) I did not see any moisture around that area but am suspecting I have a bad fuse panel, there is no power to the top two circuits on the panel, the rest of the panel is working, any suggestions.

Replies:
Posted By: Moffman
Date Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by AMXAL AMXAL wrote:

I have a 67 Marlin that has been totally restored within the last 3 years. Last weekend I was at a car show and we were hit with a downpour, I did not notice any issues afterward but today I went out to use the car and my radio is not working same for the turn signals and backup lights, I checked the TSM and the wiring diagram shows all three go through the same fuse, I checked the fuse at the block and nothing, I also noticed when I tested the other circuits on the panel that the fuse next to the problem area is also dead, the other circuits are good (hot) I did not see any moisture around that area but am suspecting I have a bad fuse panel, there is no power to the top two circuits on the panel, the rest of the panel is working, any suggestions.

I'm not familiar with your wiring set up on that car but I'm assuming it's similar to mine. When you say nothing, do you mean fuse is fine and still no power to the panel?

Date Posted: Sep/12/2017 at 11:18pm
Yes, there is no power to the fuse, the fuse is good, the 67 Marlin would be the same as an Ambassador or Rebel. but I would think this issue could be any model or year...thanks

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 4:46am
How about the heater fan or wipers, do they run ? You may have a connection or oxidation problem at the ignition switch. You may need to just clean terminals or contacts. Sounds like you lost accessory power which passes through a portion of the ignition switch.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Posted By: Moffman
Date Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:35am
I found this off matt's old cars, it's a diagram for a '66

Unfortunately no radio is listed, you don't have a pic of yours do you?

http://www.mattsoldcars.com/techinfo/images/66main.gif

Date Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:39am
George,
You are correct, no wipers or heater blower, along with radio , back up lights or turn signals. guess its time to pull the switch and clean the terminals. Thanks

Date Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:41am
Thanks for the diagram, I have one from my 67 TSM and have traced the curcuits, could not find a radio diagram in mine either.

Posted By: MarlinSteve
Date Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 11:25am
Might be the fuse block. When I had a 67 Marlin and it rained hard water from the cowl would drip on the fuse block.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 8:16pm
My thoughts now are split between the ignition switch and the fuse block, at this point having tested most of the wires coming and going to the fuse block I do not have power running from the switch to the block..thinking now a new switch is needed...thoughts?

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 5:38am
More likely to be the ignition switch itself or the connections at the switch. Sounds like the accessory terminal on the switch is not providing 12 volts when the switch is on.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 11:11pm
So I have discovered the problem, not the switch or fuse panel, the connector plug to the back of the switch, it looks like some corrosion developed at the ACC. post on the switch and caused the wire to heat up and melt the plug thus a bad connection, so now my search is on for a replacement plug or a small pigtail to replace the burnt wires. Does anyone have one?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net