Print Page | Close Window

Devilboy's 1965 American 330

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88300
Printed Date: Apr/24/2024 at 5:45am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Devilboy's 1965 American 330
Posted By: Devilboy
Subject: Devilboy's 1965 American 330
Date Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 10:03am
The Rambler Diaries - One man's slow restoration of an American classic.

When I was younger I had a 1976 Hornet. I loved that car and was sad when the day came that I had to sell it. Recently decided I was going to try my hand at the world of AMC again. I found an ad for a cool little car out in Iowa. So I decided to go and look at it. Fell in love with the look of it right away. What a cool little ride. Sleek, clean lines that you just do not find anymore. Simplicity, style and substance all wrapped up in a neat little package. SOLD!

Session 1: Purchase. One 1965 AMC Rambler American 330 4 dr acquired from Red Oak, Ia. After purchasing a brand new battery, it made the hour and a half drive home with no issues, other than the fact that 65 is not only the year this was made, but it was also the top speed the car would make while driving on a level surface, about 35-40 on most inclines. The carb needs rebuilt something fierce and it shows, but it gets around pretty good for a 52 year old car.

Session 2: Deep clean. This baby had been sitting for a while, so it had accumulated quite the bit of dust. The interior was filthy and needed to be dealt with, so deal with it I did.

1: Opened all the doors, rolled down all of the windows and opened the trunk and hood and emptied the car of all of it's contents.
 2: Next I removed all of 52 years worth of extraneous debris and dirt that I could... with an electric leaf blower. Worked like a charm. I blew away all of the cobwebs, dust, dirt, shredded vinyl & fabric bits from the sun-decimated back seat in one fell swoop.
 3: Got out the Simple Green & oven de-greaser and went to work on the engine bay, which had a nice layer of black, sludgy road grime covering most everything. Gave it a good spray down and wiped away the filth to reveal a pretty metallic blue engine.
 4: Got inside the car and wiped down all the surfaces and cleaned the windows.
 5: Vacuumed. (Which did not take long because of step 2)
 6: Cleaned & scrubbed the trunk mat and the front floor mat.
 7: Power cleaned the trunk compartment and wiped everything down.
 8: Returned the mats and trunk contents.
 9: Sprayed all of the air vents with anti-bacterial spray and added an air freshener.

Session 3: Repaired vacuum line that runs the wipers. Fixed the broken door lock.

Session 4: Installed a temporary side mirror so that I can see until I can acquire an actual Rambler mirror. Replaced a burnt out headlight.

Session 5: Loosened the back seat so that I could cover the back seat with a fleece blanket and tuck in under the luggage shelf to make it look cleaner until I can order my new custom upholstered seat covers and install them. Tightened everything up. Looks okay for now, definitely better than a sun shredded seat...

Session 6: Ordered a TSM. I am going to need one. Ordered a new horn index ring and horn ring spring to fix the steering wheel so that the horn honks and looks correct.

Session 7: Took it for a drive. Got a lot of looks, nods, waves and a couple of people pulling up to say "nice car".

Session 8: Started to look at the carb to see whether a rebuild is in order or if it needs a complete replacement. Looked up the list number and it turns out that the carb is the wrong year. My carb is from a '64. Essentially the same carb, but the wrong numbers. So I found a numbers correct, re-manufactured one online and scooped it up. Which was serendipitous, because of what happened next.

Session 9: Went to go to the auto parts store. But as I got a block away from home, the car started chugging. I knew something was adjusted wrong so I brought it back home and took it apart. Fuel pump is working fine, but no damn gas was getting through. Turns out the jets are completely stuck in the carb and blocked somehow. Could not even loosen or adjust them. Good thing I ordered that re-manufactured one...

Session 10: Removed the old wheels and tires. The rubber was so close to falling apart, making it so that it was completely unsafe to roll around on these 30 year old puppies. One thing I learned while removing the hubcaps... Spiders and caterpillars absolutely love to live inside. Every single hubcap had 5 or 6 bug cocoons or egg sacks in it. My Rambler obviously spent some time sitting outside.

Replaced the old wheels with some new 14x6.5 Z Racing wheels and some new P19570R14 Patriot Vipers. I have to say how much the new shoes change the look of this car. To me it went from a mid-sixties sedan to a little hot rod in under an hour. I tried to get some AMC 8 slot rallies with volcano caps for it, but the guy wanted too much for the very bad condition that they were in and he only had one cap that wasn't ruined. I know my rims are not traditional for a car like this, but I really like them and I got them for a steal. They clean it up nicely and really bring out the beautiful lines on this car.

- And that is where I stand. The new carb and TSM are now here, which is awesome. I got the contact ring installed and am just waiting on the spring to reassemble my horn ring. Next steps are: Installing the new, correct carb and then new brakes all the way around. The brakes on this thing feel like they could damn near be the originals. Very little stopping power on these old drums, so new ones are paramount.

Starting to locate parts here and there. Really want to grab the quarter panels I found online in PA, but he does not ship. A plan will have to develop on that front. More as the story unfolds.

This is how it looks as of now.

Ramblin' slowly onward...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
http://theamcforum.com/forum/devilboys-1965-american-330_topic88300.html" rel="nofollow">1965 American 330

Replies:
Posted By: Cricket
Date Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 11:08am
That is a sweet little car, and you did an awesome job of bringing it back to life. The body looks to be in straight shape, with little rot. Keep up with your maintenance, and it will reward you with a long life of fun, and more thumbs up from everyone!
Cricket

Date Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 11:39am
Overall, it really is in decent shape. There is wheel well rust along the quarters, and the rockers, especially the corroded right one, have seen better days... (I come from the land of the ice and snow... where the deicer, sand and salt rock flow.)

It needs lubrication everywhere. This thing creaks, squeaks and groans when you turn it. New bushings, some Kroil & a grease gun will put things in order.

The front cowling leaks somewhere (probably around the wiper assembly, which I assume is the reason that it gets a small amount water on the floor after it rains heavy and also the reason for my rotted out accelerator pedal hinge). One of the frame rails needs some work near the leaf spring mount, but other than that, yeah, not bad at all. Most of the rust you see is surface rust, (other than the quarters), so not bad at all. That sun and water damaged paint is hard to look at though. This car has seen the elements.

It also has a new gas tank, which is definitely nice.

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 12:39pm
Nice 330!!!! And welcome to the forum...I own 4 AMC`s my American`s being my favorite`s....I think they got the size and shape just right...Mine has evolved a lot in 13 years and so will your`s as time goes on the key is to enjoy the car/project and build it for your self and not what others think it should be..keep posting as go alone there will be many wanting to follow your progress...If you want you can follow my son`s project (78 Concord Wagon) on youtube site is Homotorsports   http://s268.photobucket.com/user/78concord/media/100_0095.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> http://s139.photobucket.com/user/homotorsports/media/DSCN9093_zpsq5rmwg1r.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> http://s139.photobucket.com/user/homotorsports/media/DSCN9095_zpsbalzri1n.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> http://s139.photobucket.com/user/homotorsports/media/DSCN9092_zpsmh7xpk5m.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Date Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

If you want you can follow my son`s project (78 Concord Wagon) on youtube site is Homotorsports  

Thanks, I have seen some of those vids. Great car.

I did make some progress today.

After today, the Rambler is coming back together and I have never been more happy to drive an hour into the Nebraskan corn fields to sweat out the 96 degree weather for an hour while I rummage through a field for a 1964 Rambler American 4dr that, in the ad, looked straight and rust free. In all reality, when the weeds parted, sat a very neglected old car. Rusty was an understatement, so no parts car for me... But I did manage to talk the old guy in to letting me scavenge a few odds and ends from it that I needed for a few bucks.

Managed to score the chrome hood lip trim in good shape, chrome windshield wiper fluid spray jet nozzle, and an original chrome side mirror with R logo in great shape all for $60. Then I picked up a brand new aluminum billet 1964 hood emblem to fill the void on the hood for $35.

Yep. A damn fine AMC day indeed.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
http://theamcforum.com/forum/devilboys-1965-american-330_topic88300.html" rel="nofollow">1965 American 330

Date Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 12:30am
Today I put on the mirror, put in the windshield wiper spray nozzle and hooked the wiper fluid hose up to it. After checking the mail, the horn ring spring came today so I finished assembling the horn ring too.

So now I have a correct side mirror, a correct working spray nozzle and a complete steering wheel with the horn ring properly attached so that the horn works properly.

- One thing though. The factory drilled hole where the spray nozzle goes through the hood is totally not centered correctly. Whoever drilled it messed up. The nozzle looks funny and I think I may have to re-drill it with a bit that is larger so that I can center the hole properly. I think it will be easy to fix.

The hood emblem gets here in a few days.

Onward...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 1:28pm
To those following the Rambler's progress:

The correct carburetor is now on. The re-manufactured one was missing a part, so I had to fab something together with a piece from the old carb to make it work. Not too big of an issue. Nothing that the grinder, a nut/bolt/washer combo and some ingenuity couldn't handle. Done.

Then, after a lot of necessary fiddling with the idle screw to get the idle smooth, I finally took it for a drive and it drove great. The slight stutter the accelerator pedal had is now thankfully gone. Got it back to the house and the carb started chugging again. Going to have to take another look and make some more adjustments. It's almost like vapor lock. It has been stupid hot here the last week, so who knows.

But now the output shaft seal on the transmission has decided to completely fail all of the sudden and paint the driveway a nice, greasy shade of red.

Damn...
Back to the garage.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 1:36pm
Sorry to hear about the trans seal....just another hurdle
The more u drive it, the better.
You need a vacuum gauge.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Date Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 1:44pm
I probably do need one. Thanks Ollie. Luckily the output seal shouldn't be too bad to replace and not pricey at all.

Onward!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 10:18pm
Got the output shaft seal and ordered new brakes all around. The carb is still being weird. Myself and two mechanics have messed with it, but no dice as of yet... It is starting to become quite the little headache.

Some good news though. Got the dome light and courtesy door light switches working. I now have lights at night when I use the dome switch or open the doors! I epoxied the hood emblem into the base and got the hood lip molding fastened to the car. Huzzah! Now I just have the one more piece of valance molding left to fix and re-attach and the outer front is complete again.

The Rambler is coming together like a much loved Johnny Cash song. One piece at a time...

Onward!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Jul/29/2017 at 10:34am
Got the front brakes changed out yesterday.

The left drum popped right off no sweat. The other was stuck pretty good and took quite a bit of time, a lot of effort and AeroKroil to remove. The lug studs on the right appear to have been hammered in so hard that they have shouldered at the base where they connect to the hub making the drum really hard to remove... Going to need to replace the studs. Add that to the list.

I think the reason the right one came off so easily is that the lug studs on it are fairly new. My guess is that at some point in it's life, this car took a very hard curb check to the front left wheel or the wheel was hit in a way that managed to bend/warp the hub a bit. They probably damaged the studs in the process and when they changed them out, someone probably had a heck of a time getting it off because of the damage and beat on it like crazy. So between those two scenarios, I am going to need to replace the left front hub. Add that to the list.

Halfway through the job after the fronts were done, I realized that the girl at the parts store gave me the wrong ones for the rear. It will be a few more days till the replacements get here and I can finish the job.

Went through quite a bit of a brake cleaner in the process. These brakes were dirty...

Ramblin' onward!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 9:03pm
The rear brakes went on no problem. That job is done.

The Rambler can now stop again. That is a relief.

The issue with the right front wheel may be drum related rather than hub. There is still some wobbliness to it that desperately needs to be addressed. I am of the opinion that replacing the left front drum may alleviate the issue.

Had to get a steering wheel puller from my buddy, but I finally got the turn signal cancelling cam installed & connected too. It is so weird to me that when the cam doesn't make contact, you not only lose blinkers, but you also lose brake lights... I understand the series connection, it just seems odd compared to what I am used to.

Either way, my blinkers now return to the proper position after the turn is completed, which is awesome. No more manually shutting them off or forgetting to and driving around like Mr. Magoo with my blinker on...

The last missing piece of valance molding has been paid for and is on the way as I write. Many thanks to http://theamcforum.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=14702" rel="nofollow - BU1 for saving it aside for me and not selling it at the Kenosha meet. After that, the only thing I am really missing that was originally on the car are the upper grille supports that hold the grill up & the door tag. I am very excited to put the last missing piece of molding back on...

This week I am ordering new drums for the front to hopefully address the wobble, so that I do not destroy my tire. I am also going to get all new shocks to fix the droopy stance of the rear end and fix the very bumpy ride. The shocks that are on there now are completely shot.

Thinking of putting Gabriel air adjustable shocks on the back as an easy way to rake it a bit without breaking the bank. Thoughts?

Ramblin' onward.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 12:25pm
Today I decided to order the Gabriel shock package with adjustable air shocks for the rear and gas shocks for the front. Even comes with a free air hose kit.

Now I have got to figure out something on these front drums. Having a bit of an issue finding any new ones locally. Anyone have a reliable suggestion on where to order some?

Thanks!
Ramblin' onward.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: maximus7001
Date Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 6:14am
I went a different route with the front brakes on my 68 Javelin. Since they needed everything I decided to do a disc swap with everything all new. Bought the scarebird brackets a few years ago. That setup uses the Toyota previa rotors, cadillac fleetwood calipers, hoses and pads. Still using the drum master (same one on your car), just pull the check valve out of the front outlet. On your car you probably need to stick with the drum master for the brake light switch. You have to take the new rotors and existing hubs to a machine shop to get the hubs machined to fit the rotors correctly. In the end it was cheaper than keeping the drums and they work in the rain.

This may not be the best route for you at this point since you already have $ into the front brakes. How much $ so far?

-------------
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.

Date Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 6:47am
The front brakes I have are yours if they fit. Maybe someone can answer the question. I have everything from the backing plates out including the wheel bearings.

Is a 66 American interchangeable with a 65 American??

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 8:19am
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

This may not be the best route for you at this point since you already have $ into the front brakes.

Not that much since I only replaced the shoes so far. The hardware and everything else is still good. It is just the left front drum that is messed up. But I do not have the scratch to finance a disc brake conversion at the moment. I wish. Some day...

Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Is a 66 American interchangeable with a 65 American??Ollie

I hope so. Anyone? I just am not sure if the '66 used the same size brakes. They might be 9" x 2.5" instead of 9" x 2" like mine. But it would be nice if they did. I am having a very hard time finding two that are even available for sale or that are in stock.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/05/2017 at 8:31pm
I bet the backing plates are the same...you get it all for the same free price

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/05/2017 at 9:06pm
PM sent.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: Artful Dodger
Date Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 11:22am
Reading your thread with interest.
I am looking to replace friends front drums on 66 Classic Rebel with 290 v8. (Power brakes)
I am reading that they will be 10" diameter but seems to be question of 2" or 2 1/2" surface.
The car is still being driven but worn so drums can not be turned.
If the hub is removed, is the drum same as rear?
Have you solved this?
Thanks

-------------
67, 770, 232 Auto

Date Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 1:18pm
Cheers. Have not solved it yet. Been scouring the web for answers, but so far, no dice...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: 73Gremlin401
Date Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Devilboy Devilboy wrote:

Today I decided to order the Gabriel shock package with adjustable air shocks for the rear and gas shocks for the front. Even comes with a free air hose kit.

Now I have got to figure out something on these front drums. Having a bit of an issue finding any new ones locally. Anyone have a reliable suggestion on where to order some?

Thanks!
Ramblin' onward.

I've enjoyed reading this thread - it's fun to see a simple honest car like yours come back to life, and keeps me motivated on my Matador project.  On the air-shock idea - do understand that air shocks aren't really intended to restore ride-height.  that's the job of the springs.  Granted, Americans don't weight that much, but running air shocks with a bunch of pressure in them all the time will put a lot of strain on the shock mounts, as they aren't designed to hold up the weight of the car - just dampen the movements of the car over bumps.

The good news is that replacement leaf spring assemblies are available, and aren't a fortune. (but more expensive than air shocks....at least at 1st)

-------------
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Date Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 4:36pm
Thanks for following it! I am not a wealthy man by any means, so the going is slow. But I am enjoying this car immensely. (Quirks and all...)

As far as the shocks go, I only plan to use the air shocks sparingly and never anywhere near close to even halfway aired up. The lift will be very slight and I do plan to replace the leaf springs as soon as I can too.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the brakes Ollie has would work for me. Would be awesome to take care of that issue.

Cheers!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 9:22pm
Update:

The shocks I ordered are not coming... Sadly, Robert "Greg" Hire of National Shock Absorber out of Fort Wayne, Indiana passed away before he got a chance to send them to me. My condolences go out to his family and friends and anyone who knew him. He was a real nice guy who did a lot for the classic car world. R.I.P. Greg.

So needless to say something else will need to be found in the shock department. Unfortunately because of the death, my funds could be slow to be refunded through ebay & paypal...

On the brake front, it appears that Ollie may have just saved the day for me with the brakes he has.

So some good news & some bad.

Slowly rambling onward...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 12:25am
nice project keep up the work its really looking good the rear quarter are repairable mine were worse than that again looking good

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 8:05am
I am sure paypal & EBay will make it good money wise.....
I have a set of Monroe Air Shocks on my 66 American so there out there.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 12:57pm

I am sure paypal & EBay will make it good money wise.....
I have a set of Monroe Air Shocks on my 66 American so there out there.
Ollie

They will, but it may take a while to clear because of Greg's passing. But you are right, no worries there. Just more waiting. But there is nothing that can be done, so wait I will.

The shocks are easy. Those I can find. Greg just had a great package deal that I have not been able to come close to matching price wise anywhere else.

Also Ollie, you will totally be hearing from me on Friday with shipping details & payment for those brakes.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 9:49am
Today I got my refund from ebay so I ordered some new Monroe shocks for The Rambler. After some thought and persuasion by a few forum members, I decided against air adjusting shocks and just went gas OE Spectrum all around to even out the ride.

Sent off the payment to Ollie for the brakes. Cheers for those!

When they get here, The Rambler will be a lot happier. And I will be so much less stressed out. Definitely made some progress today with these purchases. Now the waiting for the delivery guy begins...

Rambling onward.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 2:26pm
Your Toys in Waiting....

2 boxes, twice as exciting !!!   

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 2:35pm
Cheers! Can't wait!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 4:20pm
Looks like I will be working on The Rambler sometime this week after all!

Ollie's old brake setups arrived today. Huzzah! Thank you kindly, my fine feathered friend. Looks great! If all goes according to plan, this should completely alleviate the wobble in the left front wheel. I can not wait for that to be gone...

The front shocks arrived too. Tomorrow the rear shocks get here. Hopefully the change-outs go smooth and easy.

Ramblin' onward...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/26/2017 at 4:34pm
The Rambler is finally getting back on it's feet. The brake setups Ollie sent were great and worked like a dream! They slipped right on with no issues. Took care of the wobble like Hey Presto!

The new shocks went in with no problems at all either. One thing though, when I removed one of the plastic plugs in the trunk to get to the shock bolts, there was a giant mud dauber nest in the cavity where the plug goes. Mighty skinny wasps to get in next to the shock like that. Bugs are amazing sometimes. Crazy.

The front shocks were probably factory originals. So rusty and completely shot. The rears look like they were changed out in the 80's. Either way, the Rambler is a happy camper and sitting like it is supposed to again.

Now off to my transmission guy to figure out the leaks and to replace the output shaft seal.

Then I am back on the road.

Ramblin' ever onward!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 7:32am
Glad that everything worked out great with the brakes. I been sitting on them for awhile and even threatened to throw them out a time or too.

Glad that the brakes were able to get another AMC road worthy.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 7:42am

Glad that everything worked out great with the brakes. I been sitting on them for awhile and even threatened to throw them out a time or too.

Me too. And I am extra glad that you hung onto them till they were needed again. Wink

Seriously though Ollie, I can not begin to even express my true gratitude to you. Hopefully some day I can return the favor for some other AMCer and do my part to help keep another classic alive.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: AMoCoLite
Date Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Devilboy Devilboy wrote:

Me too. And I am extra glad that you hung onto them till they were needed again. Wink

Seriously though Ollie, I can not begin to even express my true gratitude to you. Hopefully some day I can return the favor for some other AMCer and do my part to help keep another classic alive.

Awesome to see the AMC community helping each other out. Been keeping an eye on this thread...nice project.

Date Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by AMoCoLite AMoCoLite wrote:

Awesome to see the AMC community helping each other out. Been keeping an eye on this thread...nice project.

It is killer that so many of the forum members go out of their way to help others. Whether it be knowledge, opinions, or parts, this place is invaluable to an AMCer.

I drank the Kool-Aid on my first visit. Now I am in the cult... My rear window even boasts about it!

Cheers and thanks for following the progress!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: 73Gremlin401
Date Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 2:20pm
Those poor front shocks! Or should I say that poor front suspension! I can only imagine how much better the car rides now.  Now that the POs maintenance record has been revealed, lol...take a real close look at the trunion bearings, the ball joint, and the control arm bushings.

-------------
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Date Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 2:46pm
Cheers! An amazing difference indeed.

Every bushing on the front end of this car will need to be replaced at some point in the future. We are talking cracked rubber city. I think something like a Prothane suspension kit is definitely in order to bring some more life to the suspension in front.

The rear needs some work too. I have one frame rail that will need some fairly serious attention before I can safely put new leaf springs on it.

You know, the basic turmoils that come with the refreshing of a 52 year old car that has been, let's say "somewhat neglected". Fix one thing, find three more things that need to be addressed in the process that you didn't know were an issue till you started taking things apart.

At least I have a pretty time consuming hobby now. Something about idle hands... Evil Smile

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 8:05pm
A little at a time thats what makes this hobby so enjoyable to me....

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Date Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 12:39am

A little at a time thats what makes this hobby so enjoyable to me....

Cheers!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: LakesideRamblin
Date Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 12:49am
Nice sticker and glad to hear of your progress!

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Date Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 12:53am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Nice sticker and glad to hear of your progress!

Cheers! Gotta' show some team spirit!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 8:50pm
Been too long since I updated.

Things have not been going as fast or as easy as I would like with The Rambler. Still no driving. The tranny still needs to be looked at. It is leaking badly and has a bad seal. I have not been able to find anyone to get it in. Shops around here seemed to be very backed up.

This last year also has brought other things that have taken priority or have gotten in the way of the restoration and have made me very broke this year.

I have managed to locate a great number of missing parts for my car though. If I can't work on it, I guess stockpiling the parts I need & want is the next best thing.

I am only missing a few extras that I would like to get. The body line wheel well mouldings are at the very top. I think I found some, but the guy has not sent me a shipping quote. I also want to find some rocker mouldings too. They have not been easy to find at all.

Got 3 of 5 body line mouldings. Found the battery hold down I needed. Got my '65 grille and grille supports installed. Found a passenger side mirror. Scored an antenna. Got my am radio & backing plate. Bought a new Dual Voice Coil dash speaker. Got a new glove box insert. Found rear c pillar headliner supports. Installed my '65 hood emblem. Got lazy R wheel spinners for my wheels. Installed license plate lamp. Got engine paint and all proper engine bay decals for after painting. Got new door seals. New windlacing. New outer weatherseals. I have also found a few other extras too.

So in the mean time, I decided to do at least do something with the car. I took out the seats and covered them with dark blue material that looks miles better than they did before until I can reupholster them properly. They look pretty good for a total novice. Sewed every seam and stitch by hand. Wish I had a heavy duty sewing machine so I could actually attempt at least semi-professional looking ones.

I found out that under the rubber mat that the car came with, water had settled in the front floor pans. So I took out the mat, let it dry out and then tore out the nasty old carpet, padding & heat shields and spent a morning scraping up all of the worthless adhesive and sealer/protectant that was no longer serving any purpose other than holding moisture against the metal. I am really glad that I decided to do it.

Unfortunately and to my utter horror, after I was done, I found quite a few problem areas. The diagnosis is a new drivers floor pan. Mine is just too far gone. The passenger side is fine. I am also missing a hole plug from the driver's floor pan.

All of the other rust holes look as if they can be patched relatively easy, but none of the metal repair will be something I can do on my own. It absolutely needs to be attended to if I am going to save this car from deteriorating any further.

Weird that both sides have rusted badly under the front seat near where they attach to the floor. I have no idea what cause that since they are not in the floor pan... Weird.

The other bad spots are the wheel well lip & the lower edge of the quarter panels, the right side frame rail where the leaf spring attaches and the passenger rocker, which has started to open up along the bottom seam where the inner & outer rocker panels attach.

The worst parts will take a bit more attention. IE the drivers side floor pan and the seam where the floor attaches to the left side kick panel. I can actually see into my engine bay through the holes.

So since I started the job, I figured I would go all out. I disassembled, bagged and tagged the entire interior and removed the headliner. Removed the old windlacing. I scraped off all of the nasty old rotten padding off of the roof. Decided I am going to repaint the headliner after using a mold protectant primer. It is in good shape, just faded. Getting it out of the back door without ruining it was an adventure, but I managed to get it out in one piece. Cleaned up the back side and removed all of the remnants of padding and adhesive. It should clean up nicely.

The frame rail is also very bad and the most important to fix after the floor. I can not believe how bad it is. Just past it on the same side the bumper mount is rusted too. It looks as if the right rear tire was flat and the frame rail was resting in water or something for a long time. How else could only one area of one side be so bad?

Anyways, looks like I need to find a damn good welder, a fabricator and one philanthropic, wealthy patron. The easy restoration just turned into a serious one. Updates may be slow to come, but I am going to continue to Ramble forward.

Next is tearing out the dash, heater core and wiper motor, and then opening up the cowl to see where all this damn water has been getting in.

I am going to save this car if it kills me. Wish me luck. I will definitely need it.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 9:45pm
Hang in there...We have been through it...Your car has all the normal rust for the year..including the rear frame rail...I looked at a 65 about a month ago that had no floor left...It was a shame it ran mint...i just wasn`t looking for another big project

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 10:18pm
Thanks! No worries Anthony, not giving up any time soon...

I just wish I could weld better and had my own equipment. My welding skills are pretty basic. I can arc weld okay, but wire welding is not my forte. 

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 6:10pm
I forgot about my console that I built a few months back.

I decided after I bought the Rambler that I was going to build a floor console that would hold a CD player, speakers, some gauges and some storage compartments.

I really liked the design http://theamcforum.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=8450" rel="nofollow - Ollie used for his '66 American, so I measured up the dimensions of the car and built a mock-up out of cardboard that was kind of based off of his version but a bit different.

It fit well in the car and because I have a non-reclining single bench seat, I had to design the console kind of compactly so that it would fit while holding everything I wanted.

Put together the final build out of wood and it turned out great.

Cut out the necessary holes for everything and tested the fit of the components.

Primed it with Zinsser first to lock out any moisture or mold.

Painted it with gloss black enamel to protect against any moisture absorption.

After that I covered it with some dark blue vinyl wrap from Metro Restyling that very closely resembles the unique color of dark blue metallic paint with snowflake that AMC used on the metal inside the car.

I used a set of Mooneyes gauges and cut the mounting plate to make it into a backing plate that could be mounted flush against the front face of the console.

Mounted all of the components and am really happy with how it all fits together.

I used an old sun visor mirror frame as a backing plate/frame for the CD player, but I still need to find a piece of polished stainless steel that will fit inside the mirror frame and cut a hole in it to accommodate the CD player.

I added an old American script emblem to each side as a little extra touch.

I am also trying to salvage an old damaged, hood lip moulding as accent pieces on each side of the top face of the console. Cut off the usable parts that weren't too bad and cut them to length so that they will act as side rail mouldings on the console.

I may revamp it a little before I am finished. If I decide I want to, there is room on the top of the console for a 5x7 or 6x9 speaker for a fuller sound.

I also built speaker boxes for the package shelf because I do not want to cut any holes in this car. I figured out a way to attach brackets to the bottom that will affix the boxes to the shelf by the upper back seat bolts. That way they will not go flying off of the shelf in the event of an accident or sudden braking.

I need to order more vinyl from Metro to wrap the speaker boxes the same color as the console.

Progress!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 6:55pm
Sweet job Jeremy.  That is a great idea for the American with a bench seat!

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 6:58pm
Thanks Matt. 

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: SeanHatfield
Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:16pm
Really nice job! Now you can finally have cupholders!

Posted By: 232jav3sp
Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:30pm
That is one fine looking console!  I want one!

Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:46pm
Thanks guys.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 11:22pm
your floor pan are in better shape than mine were the rear frame rail is not that bad to replace I used a pc of 2x3 tube to repair mine what you lack in welding skill you make up in wood work nice job on the console look for a use mig welder its not hard to do if you can arc weld you can mig weld a little practice and you will be on your way   

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 9:15am
Jeremy,
Your console is super fantastic..........totally awesome !!!

Hang in there. You will run across the right guy to do your welding.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 10:13am
Thanks Donald & Ollie! Appreciate it.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: gtoman_us
Date Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 9:33pm
Like!

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 9:35pm
Thanks Ron.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 6:42am
If you can stick arc weld you can use a wire welder. If you get a cheap wire welder get one that uses gas, not flux core wire (or get one that can use both). The little cheap (sub $400) wire welders from Harbor Freight or Campbell-Hausfeld are short-circuit arc machines and will spit and sputter by design. They work ok with flux core wire but leave a lot of mess to lean up with a grinder behind. Buy a argon/CO2 mix bottle and the difference is night and day! Added cost of the bottle, but will last a long time. I've been through three 5# spools of wire and still have gas in my small bottle. The $500+ machines are usually spray arc. Once arc starts wire never touches metal, arcs through plasma of molten wire. The short circuit machines touch the wire to the base metal, which then melts the wire, touches again, melts, ad infinitum...that's why it spits and sputters as you weld. Not real accurate scientific explanations, but close enough. If just doing light welding 1/8" or less, and not a lot of continuous welding (once it heats up and cuts off it takes a while to cool down for much more welding) it's fine. The short circuit type actually works better for sheet metal (such as body work) because it doesn't get the metal as hot.

This is a good ~$300 welder though. Not sure if it's short-circuit type or not, though from price I believe it might be. http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-K2185-1-Handy-Welder/dp/B07FMBPNZN" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-K2185-1-Handy-Welder/dp/B07FMBPNZN

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 6:49am
One more thing. I read through all the posts and didn't see where you have retorqued the head. The 195.6 OHV engine needs the head retorqued every 10-12K miles or you will blow the head gasket and most likely crack the head. First sign of a blown gasket is running hot and a bit of power loss. The head is prone to cracking when run hot, due to age and likely being run hot a few times already. Just loosen then torque each bolt one at a time and you don't have to worry about sequence -- 62 ft/lbs. The valves need adjusting about the same time, so may as well do that while valve cover is off. Don't over tighten valve cover bolts, that just warps the cover and makes it leak more! If it leaks at the back of the engine it's time for a new rubber gasket, and make sure the cover's not warped. No sealer used on the rubber o-ring type gasket.

For more detailed info on the 195.6 OHV see http://195.6ohv.com/" rel="nofollow - http://195.6ohv.com/ . Tomj (here on forum) has done an excellent job of documenting this little engine!

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 7:16am
Thanks Frank, I do have a good friend who has a decent welding set-up. We are just both kind of novices with welding. It has been since high school for me. It will get figured out between the two of us.

The car runs well, but after I got it home, has not been driven much, under 5 miles, since I got it. As soon as the transmission issue is taken care of, the engine is going to get freshened up and I will address the head. Have had Tom's site bookmarked for over a year and often check it out.

Totally structural work for now though, but I appreciate the tips.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 6:16pm
A little bit more progress.

Went to see http://theamcforum.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=147" rel="nofollow - gtoman_us the other day and he gave me a kick panel I desperately needed to replace a cracked and broken one. What a nice guy Ron is.

Tried out some Dupli-color vinyl & fabric paint to paint the headliner, kick panels and door handle pads, but they do not make anything near the color I need. The one I was told would match my dark blue color interior was the darkest blue they make, interestingly enough called Medium Blue. The cap looked like a match, so I got some.

Tried it out on an arm rest pad that was turquoise. The product works great, but the color is nothing even close to the cap color. Suffice it to say, I did not paint any more. Way too light for my liking and does not match at all. Anyone have any suggestions? Looks like it is either SEM or Rustoleum that I will have to try. Sure could use some advice if anyone has painted their vinyl dark blue before.

I figured since I can't make it and I am not a full on stickler for originality, I bit the bullet & ordered the driver's floor pan from CTC. Hopefully it fits okay & works out.

I also went ahead and got a DMT heater box restoration kit, since I know the heater core is leaking and needs to be attended to a.s.a.p., so that will also need to be re-cored if possible or maybe outright replaced. We shall see when I pull it.

I also finally found an actual working & correct Carter dual action fuel pump! Now I can remove the combo of an old half working vacuum pump (the wipers work but it does not pump gas) and that loud, cheap, electric monstrosity of a fuel pump the P.O. put on the frame rail, and get the actual vacuum & fuel system back in order and all working properly from a single unit. And if I may say so, most importantly, working quietly.

I swear the electric pump whine sounds like it is frigging screaming as soon as I turn the key. I will be happy to be rid of it entirely...

A new windshield gasket from Peter Stathes is next.

Rambling ever forward...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 7:52am
Jeremy...
I have done alot of interior vinyl painting with very good and long lasting results. 

A upholstery man told me to use Bully Dog Adhesive Prompter first. I have always done so. 

I plan on using the same Dupli-Color on the 69 Rambler. I think we have decided to go with a black interior on this build. 

Looking forward to meeting Ron some day. Maybe another car guy get together at Rich's house?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 8:54am
http://theamcforum.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=8450" rel="nofollow - Ollie , sounds good to me. You let me know the time for the next meet-up and I will be there. Ron wanted to come but was on the road for his job. We will do what we can to make it happen.

Contacted SEM and they quickly got back and told me to send them in a sample of the color and they will figure out a match for me, so that is a somewhat positive development.

I just wish Dupli-color would offer to do the same thing. I could save a lot of money by going with them rather than SEM. The product is about the same quality, but the price difference of SEM versus Dupli-color is astoundingly different and it is about 3 times as expensive as Dupli-color. So far no response from them yet.

Rambling onward.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 11:19am
Wow. The DMT heater restoration kit got here so fast and it looks really well done. Kudos to Jim & Loretta Fillmore at Detroit Muscle Technologies. Can't wait to go at it.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 1:08pm
A better match for that dark blue might be found on the Colorbond website.  Google Colorbond Interior Paint and start searching.  You might have to look under marine interior paints.  You have a choice of "blues" there.  I have never used Colorbond products but came across a reference to them recently and might try it if I can't find a color I need in the SEM product line.  Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 1:15pm
Thanks http://theamcforum.com/FORUM/member_profile.asp?PF=82" rel="nofollow - pacerman . I will give it a shot if SEM does not work out. They have been awesome so far and have told me they will match it and mix some up for me no charge. Sent in a chip of vinyl to match.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 5:20pm
The Bully Dog Adhesion Prompter (or should that be Promoter?) is a good idea. If nothinjg else clean the vinyl first with a solvent that completely evaporates -- alcohol (even rubbing alcohol is good enough), mineral spirits, paint thinner, or even spray brake parts cleaner all work well. The key is to have no oils, even from fingers, on the surface. CLEAN!!! I've had good luck with regular acrylic spray paint (no lacquer!) on hard vinyl like arm rests after a really good cleaning.

If Duplicolor matched paint like SEM it would probably cost as much too...

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 5:29pm
Thanks guys. I have no issues with using the products. I already removed all grease, oils, dirt and other such stuff before painting and it came out great, just the wrong color. I just haven't found a color match yet.

I was more looking for anyone who could recommend a color or brand that will come close to matching the interior color, which is called Dark Blue Semi Gloss, color code 9159-LH that AMC used in 1965. But SEM is probably what I will go with.

Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

If Duplicolor matched paint like SEM it would probably cost as much too...
Good point Frank.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 3:07pm
More developments. Fuel pump is on it's way.
Floor pan from CTC got here and while not perfect, it will work just fine with some coaxing.

And, after almost a year of trying, I have finally had some success in my search.
It took a lot of work. A lot of emails. A lot of patience. But I think the ordeal is almost over.
Paid for these babies today and just have to wait for them to get shipped here.

Now I can finally add the lower body line mouldings on my '65. Been a long time searching...

Got some rocker mouldings coming from http://theamcforum.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=538" rel="nofollow - mazenoex too. Yay!
Will really help get the Rambler's look the way that I want it.

Back to it!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 9:47am
I have been trying to locate a Rambler American accelerator pedal floor pivot - parts # 350 5771 since I got my car. The pedal is no longer connected in any way and fell off several times while I was driving the car home. It had rusted away to the point that it no longer held the retaining spring and needed to be completely replaced.

Since I got my new floor pan I figured I would have to make one from a hinge, but today I just happened to get lucky and score a pedal assembly that comes with pedal, retaining spring and pivot (and a small section of floor pan from the car it was cut from).

Oh, happy day. What a relief finding that.

Other than a few odds and ends, I think I have managed to locate most of the parts I have been looking to find for this car. Other than quarter panels and a rocker panel to replace my rust issues, I have gotten extremely lucky and appreciate all of the forum's help.

Onward...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 9:02am
Since you're not really restoring the car 100%, I was going to suggest you go to a cable pedal from a modern car. All are similar to the later American pedal -- hang from a mount on the firewall. I have a Jeep XJ pedal in mine now. But you found one, so you're good to go! Might want to consider the cable pedal if you switch to a different carb or motor later though. 

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 9:19am
Good idea Frank. Thank you. I was actually suggested that by someone else and was starting to look for one but then I happened to stumble across the set up. I just got super lucky.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 9:58pm
I used the org. pedal(Upper part) and welded a plate to it....I like it much better then when it pivoted on the floor

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 7:45am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I have a Jeep XJ pedal in mine now.

I used the org. pedal(Upper part) and welded a plate to it.

Frank & Anthony, could you guys please show me a photo of what you did for possible future reference if I ever decide to change it? I am curious & interested in seeing your fixes. Thanks.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 12:28am
I used a gas peddle from a 80's ford mustang or most other ford cars have the same set up on my car bolts to the firewall and has a built in return spring

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Posted By: Lucas660
Date Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 5:28am

I used the org. pedal(Upper part) and welded a plate to it....I like it much better then when it pivoted on the floor

I have done the same thing, but welded the bottom section of a late model pedal. It's much more responsive and less fatiging to drive. Obviously remove the assembly to weld so you don't set the vehicle on fire. Or use wet towels around the area if you are lazy.

Date Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 8:48pm
Thanks guys. Would love to see some photos of your fixes.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

I have done the same thing, but welded the bottom section of a late model pedal. It's much more responsive and less fatiging to drive. Obviously remove the assembly to weld so you don't set the vehicle on fire. Or use wet towels around the area if you are lazy.
        Just starting my car is fatiguing..LOL.. I have size 13 triple e i don`t think i even need a gas pedal...

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/24/2019 at 8:35am
A long overdue update.

I managed to find an original floor pivot thanks to an awesome AMCer, so the pedal issue is now solved.

I have located both rocker panels and both replacement quarter panels. I just have to wait to be able to get them to my neck of the woods so that I can finally begin the daunting metal work.

Found a 6cyl metal fan shroud on the forum, cleaned it up and painted it. It came out great and will really help out when I get it installed.

I also scored some nice upper door top mouldings for the car too. I think they will look great and add some flair to the overall look of the car.

Now I just have to locate all of the missing clips so that I can attach the various mouldings I bought to the car, but I am having no luck finding any with any of the vendors. Talked to Galvin's, APD & Kennedy and none had any available. So if anyone knows where to locate any of these, the help would be much appreciated.

These are the mouldings I need clips for:

Left & right Rocker panel moulding clips: (26.074 448 1223L-22R)

Left & right Front door top moulding clips: (26.032 448 0335L-34R)
Left & right Rear door top moulding clips: (26.034 448 0353L-52R)
(The mouldings that run along the very top of the doors.)

5 piece body line mouldings that wrap from wheel well, across the quarters and rear panel & then to the opposite wheel well.

Left & right wheel well body line mouldings clips: (12.128 448 2135L-34R)
Left & right quarter panel body line mouldings clips: (12.128 448 1227L-26R)
Rear panel body line moulding clips: (26.038 448 1278)

I also made some progress on my headliner.

After figuring out how expensive the SEM custom mixes were, I finally found a SEM color that matches and a distributor to get it from that didn't break the bank. Here was my process:

My headliner was originally a horrible faded light robins egg blue color that I did not care for. It was also drooping very badly from coming unattached from the insulation pads. I got it out in one piece with no major issues after removing the front seat. I fixed what edge issues there were & then laid it out on a flat surface and put a bunch of weight on the center of it to reform the original contours and let it sit for a few weeks.

Then I cleaned it up really well and applied a very thin layer of mildew resistant Zinser primer to both sides with a brush.

https://ibb.co/j3kpMyW" rel="nofollow">

After that, I rolled it up into a slight u shape lengthwise and used painters tape to keep it from unfurling.

https://ibb.co/Hg8dS1S" rel="nofollow">

I ordered 2 cans of Ranger Admiral Blue SEM Marine Vinyl Coat for $15 a can that matches my interior perfectly. It took two cans & four coats to cover it completely, I think it looks pretty damn good with no additional warping or damage from the painting. I can not wait to get it back in the car.

https://ibb.co/Hn9tCQz" rel="nofollow"> https://ibb.co/h164yNG" rel="nofollow"> https://ibb.co/d7yq54P" rel="nofollow">

Progress!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Dec/24/2019 at 8:40am
Looking great Jeremy!

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

1965 GTO
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Jan/10/2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Looking great Jeremy!

Thanks Ron. Appreciate that.

Another bit of progress to report on. A while back Ron kindly gave me a black replacement kick panel because my car had one that was broken. I also picked up a replacement door armrest cushion from Brent Havekost that was turquoise.

Well since the weather yesterday was unseasonably mild, I decided to do some more vinyl & plastic repainting. I am happy to report that the headliner, all four armrest cushions and both kick panels are all now the same color.

End note: SEM makes some really great products.

And thanks again for that kick panel Ron! Cheers!

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 10:20am
After the success with painting interior my stuff with SEM, I think next up are my floor mats.

I hate to paint them because they are the very cool, green, semi-transparent, vinyl mats that have gold colored glitter flake embedded in the vinyl and would look really cool with dark blue carpet behind them.

Unfortunately, I have tried so many different products and various suggested techniques to clean them, all to no avail. The various weird, irremovable, red stains will not budge. There is also a very large unsightly cigar or cigarette burn right in the center of the front passenger side.

I made a mold of a good part of the mat and my idea was to possibly cut away the melted ridge and try to rebuild it by remelting the cut off part (or some other scrap vinyl) and using the mold I made to shape the melted vinyl, or to cut away the ridge and just leave it as is.

I think either living with them as they are or repainting them with the dark blue SEM to match everything else is the only real recourse at this point

Anyone have any suggestions?

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 11:41am
Jeremy, we should meet up. I might have A NOS clear rear floor mat need to verify it crosses over to the American you have.

I have a box of AMC clips we can rummage thru.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

1965 GTO
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Jeremy, we should meet up.
Sounds good to me. I am available Sunday afternoon if you are. Shoot me a PM.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 6:01pm
Well, not being able to afford an upholsterer, I bought all of the supplies myself. Navy blue Marine vinyl, some stylish fabric, piping, thread, burlap, hog rings, hog ring pliers, batting, foam, and spray adhesive. I stripped my old seats, sanded and primed them and built them back up with burlap, foam & batting.

Designed the look trying to retain the original look, so the patterns were made from the old seats. Then I had a very, very talented & ridiculously generous, good friend who is a tailor/seamster who offered to put them together & sew them for me for an outrageously low price.

I can not wait to get the driver's floor pan and rockers welded in so I can install these bad boys.

Altogether I am only in for a grand total of $518.00 including all of the supplies and the labor for both seats. The quote I got from the local shop was around $2500. I think I did alright...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 6:22pm
Those are sweet!  Well done.

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360

Posted By: 6t8amxetc
Date Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 7:04pm
Agreed! I really like that fabric. And what a great deal from some good friends!

Date Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 7:12pm
Thanks. My friend Lee is a saint of a friend and a wizard with a sewing machine. I can't believe how good of a job he did and was flabbergasted that he charged me what he did. I got very lucky...

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 8:54pm
Impressive Jeremy.  Turned our really nice.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

1965 GTO
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 9:38pm
Thank you all. They turned out just like I wanted.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Date Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 6:36am
You owe Lee a BIG favor!! I'm sure there will be something you can do for him one day. You both did a great job on the seats.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 9:23am
Thanks Frank. I am fully aware of how much that is true. He really went above & beyond with these. I am planning to do something nice for him to return the mega-favor that he will really enjoy.

It was a slow process that took about 10 months altogether, as I did not want the job to bite into his regular work, so he worked on them at his leisure when he had some time to spare here and there.
I told him from the beginning that there was no hurry and no worry about how long they took, because I knew that they would be done light years before the car was.

-------------
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net