Print Page | Close Window

American Racing Headers

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping
Forum Name: Product Announcements
Forum Description: This section is for vendors or members who offer products or services. VENDORS, Please post here and not in the general tech forums.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85888
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 3:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: American Racing Headers
Posted By: A.R. Headers
Subject: American Racing Headers
Date Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 4:30pm
Hello AMC enthusiasts. My name is Nick Filippides and I own and operate American Racing Headers located in Deer Park, NY. We just wanted to introduce ourselves to your community and let you know we're now finishing a new prototype of high quality 304 S/S headers for the AMX, Javelin and other models similar to these chassis. We've got a lot to learn about these cars in terms of all the similarities and your help with that would be greatly appreciated.
Not to overstep our boundaries, is there a fee to participate as a sponsor of the forum? If there is please advise and we'll take the necessary steps. Once we're good to go I'll follow up and post a new thread with pictures of what we're going to offer exactly. Thank you in advance.

Nick
A.R. Headers

Replies:
Posted By: AMoCoLite
Date Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 6:52pm
Alright!

I'm stoked...had ARH long tubes, x-pipe and Pure Thunders on my Boss 302...and I'm getting ready to put an exhaust on my '68 AMX (month or so)...when will you have something available?

Welcome to the Forum!

Posted By: 70Javelin360
Date Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 7:23pm
I'd be interested in 2" or bigger for my hornet, instead of having custom made ones ;)
nice website btw!

-------------
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2431219

Date Posted: Feb/28/2017 at 8:08pm
Guys, I'm not sure that our headers will fit the Hornet if they're made for the Javelin and AMX. I'm told they will fit the Rambler. Hopefully you guys can elaborate more on that. I can tell you that they are very high in quality and should be the last set of headers your hot rod will ever need. Expect outstanding performance far superior to what you'd expect from other off the shelf headers. It seems Amocolite can attest to that. Thanks for chiming in.

Date Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 1:41pm
Guys if someone from the administrative staff can shoot me an email regarding sponsorship I'd really appreciate it. We want to post more information but not without permission. My email is nick@americanracingheaders.com

Thank you.

Nick

Posted By: KyleCim
Date Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 1:43pm
AMX/Javelin will be different than the small car Hornet/Gremlin/Spirit chassis stuff.

You guys make some killer stuff, nice to see you working on a project like this I wish I could have came up with the cash to have you do the headers for me Hornet when we were emailing.

Thanks!
Kyle

-------------
70 Hornet- 401/727/9"- Too Many Expensive parts-9.71@136
68 AMX- 401, E-Brock tunnel ram, Fiberglass front end

92 Laser RS AWD- 10.19@139 2.0L

Date Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by KyleCim KyleCim wrote:

AMX/Javelin will be different than the small car Hornet/Gremlin/Spirit chassis stuff.

You guys make some killer stuff, nice to see you working on a project like this I wish I could have came up with the cash to have you do the headers for me Hornet when we were emailing.

Thanks!
Kyle

Kyle, if at any time you want to get those custom made, we'd gladly do it for you. At this point we'd like to see where our line for the Javelin and AMX goes. If it takes off and there's demand we will look into the Hornet which probably takes care of the Gremlin as well. We've already made the team at Edelbrock aware of what's coming and we even set up our fixture to adapt a big block Mopar flange for the AMC heads offered by Indy Cylinder Heads.

We're taking this line very seriously but we do not want to upset anyone on this forum if becoming a sponsor is required before advertising. We're anxious to spread the word but we want to do it the right way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Nick

Date Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 2:51pm
Just an FYI- 

Edelbrock moved the spark plug locations on their heads on cylinders 3&5 and 4&6 compared to the stock Iron heads. Depending what primary size and flange type you guys plan to do, you will want Stock, Edelbrock and Indy SR heads on site to make sure those 4 spark plugs are fully removable with the headers installed. 

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by KyleCim KyleCim wrote:

Just an FYI- 

Edelbrock moved the spark plug locations on their heads on cylinders 3&5 and 4&6 compared to the stock Iron heads. Depending what primary size and flange type you guys plan to do, you will want Stock, Edelbrock and Indy SR heads on site to make sure those 4 spark plugs are fully removable with the headers installed. 

Thanks!

Kyle, thanks for the heads up (no pun intended) :-). I did hear about the angled plug on their heads and I'm thinking we're ok based on our tube routing. Bad news travels fast. I'm sure I'll know about a clearance issue really soon but from the looks of it, the angled plugs may provide even more space.

Nick

Posted By: Hurst390
Date Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by 70Javelin360 70Javelin360 wrote:

I'd be interested in 2" or bigger for my hornet, instead of having custom made ones ;)
nice website btw!
Coming this year!

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

nice website btw!
Coming this year!

Hurst390,   2" is a lot of header off the port. What heads, engine size, max rpm and vehicle weight with driver?

Date Posted: Mar/03/2017 at 3:59am
Jims been making them on and off for years for us small car guys. I will be using an adapter flange set he made for me on Edelbrock heads, .30 over 401, just under 800hp (on Nitrous) and 3,150 with driver. I do believe his new set are planned to be on full flanges but I will let him give that info.

Thanks

-------------

Posted By: 401MATCOUPE
Date Posted: Mar/03/2017 at 7:01am
I believe there are issues with ARP head bolt clearance on the Edelbrock Heads and maybe the AMC Iron heads when running some brand of headers.....which leads guys to some hammering at the tube-flange mating areas.

-------------
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT

Date Posted: Mar/03/2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

I believe there are issues with ARP head bolt clearance on the Edelbrock Heads and maybe the AMC Iron heads when running some brand of headers.....which leads guys to some hammering at the tube-flange mating areas.

401Mat, The flanges we're using are pre notched for bolt clearance on the center and outer ports. The headers we built, and will post pictures of, are being bolted up to a very high HP Super Stock application producing over 850HP I'm told. They are a triple step design with 1-7/8" X 2" X 2-1/8" primaries with our 3-1/2" merge style collectors. Though we can build these headers for anyone that needs them, we're focusing on those that want a high quality, 100% USA made 304 S/S headers in standard 1-5/8", 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries with collectors in 2-1/2", 3" or 3-1/2". That should have plenty of coverage to fit most applications. We only need to get the word out.

Does anyone here know who runs this site? I'd like to reach them. Thanks.

Nick     

Posted By: addic
Date Posted: Mar/03/2017 at 7:03pm
I would love to have a set 1 3/4 ,1 7/8  that tuck nicely and not hang low and ss ,tired of ceramic that starts to rust after some yrs

-------------
73 401 Pierre Cardin X P1
73 401 Pierre Cardin X F3     70 X 390 4spd
69 X 401 6 spd
69 AMX 401 auto BSO
73 AMX 401 4speed pc
73 vette 427sb 5spd
73 vette convt.?
08 zx14

Posted By: 70amxpaul
Date Posted: Mar/03/2017 at 7:43pm
How much work to make them fit eddie heads with ARP studs?
thanks

Posted By: LakesideRamblin
Date Posted: Mar/04/2017 at 12:30am
Nick, there are a few moderators for this Forum. I am sure they will be in touch with you. Thank you for producing a product for an AMC car.

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Date Posted: Mar/05/2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by 70amxpaul 70amxpaul wrote:

How much work to make them fit eddie heads with ARP studs?
thanks

70AMX, that's a great question. I'm not sure it's feasible unless the ports are raised to provide the extra clearance. Not sure if the exhaust ports on the Edelbrock heads are really any taller than stock. I'm going to reach out to Edelbrock Monday to see if they have a head they can send me for mock up. I appreciate the insight guys.

Here's a link to our website for those who don't know us. We were established 11 years ago but have come a very long way in the header industry. We are the tier one supplier or race headers for the Cobra Jet Mustang, Drag Pak V10 and V8 Challenger's and all COPO Camaro's all since their inception. www.americanracingheaders.com

Please feel free to ask us any question and I'll do my best to respond. I've been told that headers has been a sore subject for the AMC community for quite a long time. We really hope to remedy that. Thanks again.

Nick

Posted By: 70amxpaul
Date Posted: Mar/05/2017 at 1:41pm
Nick:

If I remember correctly, the bottom ARP studs on the Eddie heads are the issue. I had to mill the ARP stud down to be even with ARP stud nut/washer.
thanks

-------------
1970 red AMX 390 4speed AM FM rally PAC go PAC tilt rim blow black leather service block 60 over Canton pan Ross piston Indy intake Eddie heads Crane roller cam kit Ford 9 posi roll bar 65000 miles

Posted By: 6t8amxetc
Date Posted: Mar/05/2017 at 2:36pm
I almost wonder if a header that would fit the small bodies (Gremlin, Hornet, American, Spirit etc) would actually outsell the AMX/Javelin just because they have been overlooked for soooo long?

Date Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 9:16pm

nice website btw!
Coming this year!

mmmmmm really?!? go on

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by A.R. Headers A.R. Headers wrote:

nice website btw!
Coming this year!

Hurst390,   2" is a lot of header off the port. What heads, engine size, max rpm and vehicle weight with driver?

2600# Indy head 7500rpm 426 c.i. 650hp plus about 400hp of nitrous 

-------------

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 1:24pm
Sure bet you can sell some quality built 6 cyl headers. Only one poorly built out there.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Date Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Sure bet you can sell some quality built 6 cyl headers. Only one poorly built out there.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Ollie,  what model years and engine size?

Nick

Date Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 1:47pm
The 199, 232 and 258 are all the same, I do believe. Not sure of the year groups.

A 1981 & up 258 factory exhaust manifold has the head pattern you need.

Remember it's a six cylinder so the intake manifold and exhaust manifold bolt on the head using the same bolts.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 1:57pm
Is the later 4.0L the same, say the 1998 models and up? 

Date Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 5:05pm

I can't answer that

Ollie

-------------

Posted By: matty 401
Date Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 5:43pm

the exhaust ports are different on the 4.0 compared to the 199-232-258 ports

-------------
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Date Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 7:38pm
I want exhaust headers for a 1983, 258 and use the factory 2 barrel intake. Its in a Concord.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/08/2017 at 5:49pm
Well here is the triple step race header we built on a 71 Javelin. These are 1-7/8" X 2" X 2-1/8" with our 3-1/2" merge collector. This is what we're capable of but our main focus is providing an outstanding set of headers in the more common sizes to meet the needs of nearly most of the applications. The fact that they're 304 S/S will only prove that these headers will be a one time investment. We will post actual photo's of the standard headers in the coming days. They will be different with one piece tubes and collectors with tabs instead of springs.

More good news is that we know for a fact that they will work with Edelbrock heads. There's even more clearance with the angled plugs and head bolt clearance is not a problem. We'll be test fitting a set soon on the Rebel. We believe they will work fine on the larger frame but we will confirm that.   

Posted By: 1rwb70
Date Posted: Mar/08/2017 at 8:43pm
Was able to meet Nick last night and see these headers. These are really nice pieces.

Posted By: Jan Phersson
Date Posted: May/03/2017 at 3:36pm
Nice to see you here Nick!
I have great experience from your headers on my Super Stock GTS Viper. Will email you tomorrow to find out progress on a set for my 1969 AMX.

Date Posted: May/03/2017 at 8:53pm
Jan, we have made progress in the final design which will now be a one piece but with the option to go with individual tube for full race applications.
The delay has been finalizing the flange design which will have us machine each flange to clear the head bolts. I'll have pictures of the flanges posted here this week.

It's nice hearing from you!

Nick

Posted By: lrallen
Date Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 1:59pm
What happened to the headers? May then no more information.

-------------
AMC Forever

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 4:40pm
I have had so much trouble with small body headers that anything new would really have to be something special to get me to try them. I have had to remove suspension pieces to get them on and off, had heat problems with starters being too close, had to make heat shields to keep from cooking starters and rubber parts nearby, had chronic leaks, had to reweld them at flanges, had problems with smashing them on speed bumps and experienced working for a whole day required to take the right one off, replace a starter, and put it back together. That said, it is an uphill battle and I am curious to see if any made for small body cars will work out.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Date Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 1:40am
Nick, any updates for us?

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 7:40pm
 living near there shop and the amount of classics here on L.I. there busy... They did my friends 540 powered late model Firebird..From headers to tail pipes  Excellent Job!!!!  Someone had to fill the spot when KooK`s left...

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Posted By: jpnjim
Date Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 4:05am
Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around.

It seemed they were being very careful not to upset the admins without first registering as a vendor
(some sites are really strict in this),
I hope someone let them know things are pretty easy going over here Smile

I am in the market for a nice set of Javelin headers that work with the Edelbrocks so hopefully they'll update the thread here at some point 

A little extra ground clearance with a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8"primary would be my choice,
but would be happy if they chose to make an off the shelf header for us even if that wasn't the exact configuration.

their website does look nice,
tho I haven't had the chance to go through all of it yet:

www.americanracingheaders.com" rel="nofollow - www.americanracingheaders.com

-------------
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords

Date Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 4:57am
I meet with them at PRI and ordered a set for my AMX stroker project, will hopefully have them soon. I'll post pics and dyno data as soon as possible.

Posted By: THE MENACE
Date Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Jan Phersson Jan Phersson wrote:

I meet with them at PRI and ordered a set for my AMX stroker project, will hopefully have them soon. I'll post pics and dyno data as soon as possible.

Please do Jan!
 I haven't been able to find any pictures, info, or anything about the AMX headers on their website. I would love to see how they are made and how they fit!! 

Dennis

-------------
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.

Posted By: 1rwb70
Date Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 9:41pm
Check out their Facebook page !

Posted By: SalARH18
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 10:43am
Jan, if you shoot me an email at sal@americanracingheaders.com I will send you a nice of the headers and the press release. 
Thanks
Sal

Posted By: SC397
Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 11:25am
Hopefully, you have designed them to fit all of the Jeep vehicles as well. My guess is that this would probably double your sales volume.

Date Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 12:05pm
Sal, I have a set coming my way, will install next week.

Posted By: bob401
Date Posted: Mar/28/2018 at 10:13pm
Is the dream of making a new set of headers for the small body AMC's dead yet?

Date Posted: Mar/28/2018 at 11:11pm
No, absolutely not. We have every intention of bringing small body headers to market. We have a car we're going to look at that should be exactly what we need. The weather here in NY hasn't been very helpful. It prevented us from getting the car in our shop. Please be patient. We will build them I assure you. Thanks.

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers
100% Made In USA Since 2005

Date Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 8:47pm
Thanks for the reply.. I will be patient...Approve. Im glad teh dream is still alive.

Date Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 10:46pm

Date Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 11:30pm
http://theamcforum.com/forum/arh-small-body-amc-headers-are-finished_topic94339.html

Posted By: BrotherBamc
Date Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 12:58am
Has anyone seen their Prius they built..??? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POSKNO7z5Sw

-------------
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
http://www.lxforums.com/board/garage.php?do=user_garage_view&id=19745" rel="nofollow - My Garage

Posted By: JAD
Date Posted: Nov/09/2019 at 9:59pm
Any suggestions for headers for a 71 Javelin 401 SST. I am not sure what brand would work best with this stock engine. Thanks

Date Posted: Nov/09/2019 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by JAD JAD wrote:

Any suggestions for headers for a 71 Javelin 401 SST. I am not sure what brand would work best with this stock engine. Thanks

Jad,

We offer 1-3/4” or 1-7/8” long tube headers for your Javelin. You won’t find anything that performs, fits or comes close to the quality. I’ll need to know more about your engine and where you’re headed with performance and we’ll nail down the size that works best. I’ll be happy to help. Thanks. 

Nick

-------------
American Racing Headers
100% Made In USA Since 2005

Posted By: DragRacingSpirit
Date Posted: May/13/2020 at 11:44pm
FYI....if you can come up with a set to protype...the best factory built racing header that I have ever owned and fitted to an AMX or Javelin type car was a HEADMAN HUSTLER part number HED-95100. I have not seen a set since i sold mine like a retard about 15 years ago. Headman custom built every set.

They had a 2" tube and dogleg port with a 3 1/2" collector.

Best factory built race header I ever owned at the time and the ports were really nice...fit the dogleg really well on a stock max ported 291 head.

The only problem I had to address was fitting head studs....had to grind the flange for clearance.

On a low 11 street car that I had at the time they made 3 mph difference over a set of hooker 1 7/8X 3-1/2 headers.

They were the best quality header I ever owned for an stock chassis AMC at the time and I have not seen a set in 15 years.

Oh.....and they were $1000 dollars 15 years ago and mild steel !

I wish that I still had them, I would have sent them to you to check out.

I sold them to an AMC racer in KC at a swap show, I didn't need them at the time.

I bet I can come up with his name and find out if he knows where they are at.

FYI

-------------
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders

Posted By: tufcj
Date Posted: May/15/2020 at 2:00pm
I'm not sure anyone has posted up their 68-70 AMX exhaust.   I set mine out on the floor.  Ball/socket connectors at the header collector and behind the muffler.  Band clamps at all other connections (included).  All stainless, mufflers and tailpipes are polished, slash cut ends.

Bob
tufcj 

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford

Date Posted: May/15/2020 at 2:39pm
They look really nice !

I need a new exhaust for my 70 amx and will be calling them soon.

Thanks for the pics !

-------------

Date Posted: May/15/2020 at 4:08pm
I have to ask.

Is the whole system stainless including the pipes/tailpipes/mufflers ?

What size pipes/tailpipe/mufflers are you running ? 2-1/2" or 3"

How much did it cost ?

-------------

Date Posted: May/15/2020 at 4:21pm
All stainless including the mufflers.  I don't know if the clamps are stainless (didn't check).  The system is 3" thru the x pipe and mufflers, necked down to 2 1/2" over the axle, then back to 3" for the slash cut tail pipe.  It was $1495 when purchased in January, lifetime warranty.  Ran about $75 to ship from NJ to CO.  I do know ARH had a price increase a couple of months ago.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

and not have it.
Henry Ford

Date Posted: May/15/2020 at 9:08pm
I certainly wish he had this done before I toiled away on building my own!Confused Looks awesome!!!

Date Posted: May/15/2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

They look really nice !

I need a new exhaust for my 70 amx and will be calling them soon.

Thanks for the pics !

They are still showing 10% off and free shipping right now!Big smile

Posted By: Jmerican
Date Posted: May/16/2020 at 7:14pm
What a nice setup and fair price. Throw us a pic under the car or a sound clip sometime. Very cool. 

Posted By: Brad
Date Posted: Dec/05/2020 at 11:01pm
Any idea how these headers from ARH for my 71 Javelin will fit with a T56 transmission and a Canton road race oil pan, part # 15-554? Anyone have any pictures of them installed? 

Posted By: 68-73 amx
Date Posted: Dec/06/2020 at 11:59am
The headers fit great on my 73 Javelin , with Canton r/r pan headers are dead even with the bottom of crossmember and oil pan . No dimpling needed anywhere. You will need to tell them you're using a canton r/r pan before ordering , It will required a adjustable mini starter , the Canton r/r passenger header is different than the stock pan /starter header.  Looks to me like there's plenty of trans room between collectors . Send me your email for pics

Date Posted: Dec/06/2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by 68-73 amx 68-73 amx wrote:

The headers fit great on my 73 Javelin , with Canton r/r pan headers are dead even with the bottom of crossmember and oil pan . No dimpling needed anywhere. You will need to tell them you're using a canton r/r pan before ordering , It will required a adjustable mini starter , the Canton r/r passenger header is different than the stock pan /starter header.  Looks to me like there's plenty of trans room between collectors . Send me your email for pics

Thanks! Email sent....   sure wish they made it work with a stock starter as I have 2 of them ready to go. One brand new never used.... Ouch

Date Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 5:28pm
Just placed my order with ARH  4-6 weeks lead time. Big smile

Date Posted: Apr/29/2021 at 6:22am
Just wondering if anyone has noticed Nick's new front page?Thumbs Up

https://americanracingheaders.com/

Date Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 8:24pm
A year later, I finally got around to test fittting the ARH headers and exhaust.  69 AMX 390/auto, with the BW M-12 and Canton pan.   I had to modify the tranny dipstick pretty heavily, the headers are tight.

This is still test fitting.   All the clamps are loose.  I did have to shorten the pipes between the header and X-pipe, as they didn't align correctly with the header collector.   It uses stock hanging locations.  You do need to trim and weld the bracket to the tailpipe behind the muffler.   Over all, extremely nice quality.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

and not have it.
Henry Ford

Date Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 6:18pm
 Not really thrilled about it but I did have to hammer on # 2 cylinder pipe as it was touching the crossmember. ( brand new motor mounts installed)I couldn't start all the bolts as it needed to go back some as it was touching the crossmember. Can't see it when it's bolted up. I did email ARH before I got out the hammer, but got no response. It's not the end of the world, it won't effect performance but at this price point  hammer fitting shouldn't have been required IMO. 
They forgot one of the collector extensions and to ARH credit they did very quickly send me one but living in Canada UPS nailed me another $42 in brokerage fee's for a warrantee item, bringing up UPS total brokerage fee's to almost $450. Strong dislike for UPS! Unfortunately UPS was the only way ARH would send them.    I did put a straightedge across the flanges and they are not flat by 1/8" or so at the ends, but I'm hopeful the bolts will pull them flat  and they will seal. 
I was pleasantly surprised to see ARH included gaskets and header bolts. I didn't expect that. I did have to order 1" long header bolts as the ones ARH supplied were only 3/4" which was too short. Not a big deal as I had ordered header bolts anyway as I didn't expect them in the deal. 
They do look really nice! Ground clearance is great! Nice and flat/level with the oil pan. 

Posted By: AMXFSTBK390
Date Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 8:41pm
There's always gratification taking it to the next level. A plus is the headers arrived ahead of ETA. Did you think about modifying the crossmember instead of hammer fitting the #2 tube? 

-------------
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?

Date Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 9:10pm
My headers were very early production, before ARH realized there was a clearance problem on the right header with a Canton pan.  I sent the right header back to Nick, and they modified and sent it back at no charge.  No other fitment problems.  The current headers are made to clear Canton pans.

The dipstick on my M12 had already been bent and modified when I got the car from a previous header install.   It was no big deal to cut and re-weld it at the fitting to make it clear.  Hopefully, like they advertise, these will be the last set of headers I'll buy.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

and not have it.
Henry Ford

Date Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

There's always gratification taking it to the next level. A plus is the headers arrived ahead of ETA. Did you think about modifying the crossmember instead of hammer fitting the #2 tube? 

They didn't arrive ahead of the ETA? Timing was great though, no issues there. I did consider grinding on the crossmember but it's all nicely powdercoated so I didn't want to mess that up. I also considered shimming up the trans mount but the angles are perfect now and there is not much room in the tunnel to move it up much more.  I currently have the tunnel all cut out above the T56  to get it up high enough. 

Date Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

My headers were very early production, before ARH realized there was a clearance problem on the right header with a Canton pan.  I sent the right header back to Nick, and they modified and sent it back at no charge.  No other fitment problems.  The current headers are made to clear Canton pans.

The dipstick on my M12 had already been bent and modified when I got the car from a previous header install.   It was no big deal to cut and re-weld it at the fitting to make it clear.  Hopefully, like they advertise, these will be the last set of headers I'll buy.

Bob
tufcj

I'm also using the Canton RR pan. Fit is great there, lots of clearance! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Jun/29/2021 at 1:58pm
I'm also curious if anyone has test fitted them to an Indy Sr head ?

-------------

Posted By: mbwicz
Date Posted: Jul/23/2021 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Brad Brad wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised to see ARH included gaskets and header bolts. I didn't expect that. I did have to order 1" long header bolts as the ones ARH supplied were only 3/4" which was too short. Not a big deal as I had ordered header bolts anyway as I didn't expect them in the deal. 

Interesting, I didn't get header bolts or gaskets.  I spent a decent amount of time test fitting them to ensure that all the bolts started easily in the heads.  Some were really tough to get started straight, so I had to use a chain saw file to slot some of the holes a bit.  But I do agree that they fit my canton R/R pan without issue.

Mike

-------------
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net