Print Page | Close Window

70 AMX led tail lights

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping
Forum Name: Product Announcements
Forum Description: This section is for vendors or members who offer products or services. VENDORS, Please post here and not in the general tech forums.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84112
Printed Date: Apr/16/2024 at 4:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 70 AMX led tail lights
Posted By: 4.0 Rambler
Subject: 70 AMX led tail lights
Date Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 10:09am
I contacted Digital-tails to see if they would develop LED tail lights for a 70 AMX and here is the response.
If your interested pleas s nod them a request. A link to their web site is bellow.

Thank you for your request. We are always designing new products based on
customer demand. If you want to speed up the time-to-market for your
particular request feel free to tell your friends who want the same product
to request it as well.

Thanks,

DIGI-TAILS Team

https://digi-tails.com" rel="nofollow - Digi-Tail web site

-------------
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler

Replies:
Posted By: fasttony
Date Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 4:08pm
 Kind of pricey going by 69 Camaro for $299. It looks like the array of LED's are visible from behind the OE lens :-(, if they came with a diffuser it would help. Also If they were setup like Cadillac and some others to be fast on and off, I read about fast speed led's being a function of electronic control where they strobe the power to the LED's. As they are they don't appear to have much advantage over incandescent. There is a thread here somewhere about LED tail lights with a diffuser made out of the diffusers used for overhead fluorescent lighting they looked pretty good, my link no longer works, it's possible someone here moves things around then saved links don't work anymore?

Tony

Date Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 4:59pm

I would imagine they would look similar to these and at $300 would not be bad.

-------------
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler

Posted By: AMXFSTBK390
Date Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 5:16pm
O'Rielly's sells these replacement LED bulbs. I ran them on a 68 Mustg and they are bright,low heat and are much longer lasting than incandescent bulbs. Price $17.00 a pair.

-------------
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 8:08pm
Digi-Tails makes some of the nicest LEDs on the market and they do show up well behind stock lenses. I've put a couple of sets in for friends and they've been very happy with them. Yes, they're a bit pricey but it's worth it to avoid getting rear-ended.  I tried to get them to make the for a 73-74 Javelin but no luck so that's why I made my own up. A lot of the led bulbs out there are junk so buyer beware.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Dec/03/2016 at 7:47am
Digi-Tails has agreed to take a look at the housings and lenses to build a prototype led conversion for my car. Stay tuned as things develop

-------------
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Dec/03/2016 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Digi-Tails makes some of the nicest LEDs on the market and they do show up well behind stock lenses. I've put a couple of sets in for friends and they've been very happy with them. Yes, they're a bit pricey but it's worth it to avoid getting rear-ended.  I tried to get them to make the for a 73-74 Javelin but no luck so that's why I made my own up. A lot of the led bulbs out there are junk so buyer beware.

Yep, that is why I will be making a custom set for myself as well. Geez $300 is pricey, I would make them for half the price, but there is way too much competition and troublesome ebay buyers to even think about trying.

I packed away my 71 tailight housings, in thinking I could do some snazzy custom housing work from a Dodge Charger or Challenger that allows for non fus installation. And that would be about $100 or so in cost.

IMO, having old style housings defeats the plug and play LED use on our cars. I am thinking of a replacement insert panel that must be installed when the lens is removed. This no limit with fitting through socket size. Just measure out the cup area and cut a circuit a hobby circuit board for making your panel, break an old bulb and cleanout the fitting, solder in wires with mini plug for the custom panel. Sell as a two piece kit. The bulb end is installed on the oem socket with wired mini plug going in through the socket hole. The panel goes in from the lense side and is held in place with some sticky putty along the back side edges as it is seated at bottom of the cup.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Posted By: dkrtgood
Date Posted: Dec/05/2016 at 2:16pm
I am also currently mocking up a set for my 70. Has roughly 30 LEDS per side and has built in sequential turn signals like the Shelbys. I have all the parts and an extra  tail light assy for fitment, just need to find time to see how it works out. 

LEDs use way less amperage and will be cooler and last forever....when I step on my brakes now you can watch the volt meter drop..that's how much power drain those 1157's are.

-------------
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Date Posted: Dec/06/2016 at 8:19am
Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

I am also currently mocking up a set for my 70. Has roughly 30 LEDS per side and has built in sequential turn signals like the Shelbys. I have all the parts and an extra  tail light assy for fitment, just need to find time to see how it works out. 

LEDs use way less amperage and will be cooler and last forever....when I step on my brakes now you can watch the volt meter drop..that's how much power drain those 1157's are.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that is thinking of upgrading to LEDs. They do offer a lot of benefits.
Yesterday I sent off the tail light housings and back up light to Digitails for conversion. The plan is to have  them flash sequential and I am also going to see if they can have the back up light light up with the running lights. I think this would give the back of the car a unique look when cruising, and the more lights on hopefully gets peoples attention to avoid a rear end collision. 

If everything works out I think I will also convert the fronts to LEDs. I figure they will look  something like these from a 69 Camaro. And since I run orange Hornet front lenses it will be very close. 

-------------
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler

Posted By: amcglass
Date Posted: Dec/11/2016 at 8:27pm
interesting   I may see what happens here as I finish up the 70 Donohue

-------------
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin

Posted By: IdahoSpud
Date Posted: Dec/11/2016 at 10:30pm
There were some pretty down to earth plans on sequential  tail lights on the Maverick forum about a year back. They looked very easy to build as was explained there.

-------------
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

Posted By: hassyfoto
Date Posted: Dec/11/2016 at 10:30pm
Keep us posted, been considering the bulbs for my 70 Javelin, but as already stated there are a lot of poor quality LED bulbs that don't last and so not illuminated as advertised.

-------------
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Date Posted: Dec/13/2016 at 9:17am
Will do

-------------
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Dec/13/2016 at 9:34am
I sent a request to them too.

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Date Posted: Dec/13/2016 at 9:37am
Thanks,
Matt at Digitails said this will help move things long.

-------------
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler

Date Posted: Jan/11/2017 at 2:47pm
Anyone have an update on this?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 4:34pm
I haven't been on here in a while. 
No word yet from Matt at Digitails. 

If your interested in getting a set in the future please send them a message. It will help to show interest so there will be a better chance of them making a standard retrofit.

Thanks

-------------
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler

Posted By: hassyfoto
Date Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 9:12pm
Updates are good!
Thumbs Up

-------------
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Posted By: BDCVG
Date Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by 4.0 Rambler 4.0 Rambler wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one that is thinking of upgrading to LEDs. They do offer a lot of benefits.
Yesterday I sent off the tail light housings and back up light to Digitails for conversion. The plan is to have  them flash sequential and I am also going to see if they can have the back up light light up with the running lights. I think this would give the back of the car a unique look when cruising, and the more lights on hopefully gets peoples attention to avoid a rear end collision. 

If everything works out I think I will also convert the fronts to LEDs. I figure they will look  something like these from a 69 Camaro. And since I run orange Hornet front lenses it will be very close. 

-------------
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              

Posted By: BDCVG
Date Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 6:49pm
Having the back-up light on with the side marker lights may be illegal. Most state laws address vehicle light colors quite specifically and a white light burning if You aren't backing up will not meet some specs.  I learned a lot about this after getting nabbed for X-mas lights on the roof rack of My Jeep.  Colors other than yellow and red are for emergency/ safety vehicles.

-------------
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              

Posted By: 70 Donohue 390
Date Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 2:48pm

Hey Dave, do you have a thread on how you installed the LED's?
Thanks,
Ron

-------------
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction

Posted By: lrallen
Date Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 2:55pm
Any more information on the led lights?

-------------
AMC Forever

Date Posted: Dec/10/2019 at 10:15am
Any one got any news about LED tail light setups for AMCs??

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/10/2019 at 10:19am

dkrtgood,

Did you get something mocked up for your 70 tail lights?  Any info??

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 9:31am
Just like the original post for this thread, I sent another enail to digitails yesterday.

Here's the response I got.

Thank you for your request. We are always designing new products based on
customer demand. If you want to speed up the time-to-market for your
particular request feel free to tell your friends who want the same product
to request it as well.

Thanks,

DIGI-TAILS Team

If you are interested in getting LED tail lights for your 70 Javelin or AMX please send emails to

matt@digi-tails.com

Maybe they will begin the process of making tail lights for the 70 Javelin/AMX

Thanks

-------------

Posted By: 72AMX
Date Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 7:28pm
Are they are going to produce a light assembly that fit's the existing tail lenses, or are they producing new custom LED lenses?

Date Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:24am
They are doing neither.

They won't even consider it until they get more interest is my interpretation of the email I received.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/24/2020 at 2:55pm
If you are interested in getting LED lights for your 70 Javelin or AMX, please contact either me or

sales@easyperformance.com

Easy Performance Products, LLC

4600 Bonnie Ave. SE

Kentwood, MI  49508

USA

Ph: 616-214-7880 (10am - 5pm ET, M-F)

Fax: 616-608-4625

Diditails doesn't want to consider this because they feel it will be low volume and they don't want those jobs.

Easy Performance has agreed to produce a kit. If we can get at least ten orders for 1970 Javelin/AMX LED tail light kits each one of us can save about $50 off the quoted price I got for a single set. For less than ten sets the cost will be $345.  For ten or more sets the cost will be $48.75 less per set or $276.25. Please read more on this thread.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/70-javelin-amx-led-tail-lights_topic103169.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/70-javelin-amx-led-tail-lights_topic103169.html

Easy Performance already has one of my housings and lens to work off of, so the deal is in progress.  We need to get ten or more sets ordered before April 2020.

This may be the only chance we will get for this opportunity to come along.

Give it some thought,

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/05/2020 at 11:00am
Donna from Easy performance just called this morning Feb 5, 2020 to say that Jim is working on the LED tail lights for the 70 Javelin/AMX. She said he expects to have the kit completed within two weeks.

So far there's still just two orders

myself and elliet

Contact info is ;

sales@easyperformance.com

Easy Performance Products, LLC

4600 Bonnie Ave. SE

Kentwood, MI  49508

USA

Ph: 616-214-7880 (10am - 5pm ET, M-F)

Fax: 616-608-4625

Get your order in TODAY !

-------------

Posted By: 70javrag
Date Posted: Feb/05/2020 at 1:35pm
I'd love to see them when you get them installed

Date Posted: Feb/06/2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by 70javrag 70javrag wrote:

I'd love to see them when you get them installed

I'll post photos on the forum.

-------------

Posted By: Heavy 488
Date Posted: Feb/07/2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Yes, they're a bit pricey but it's worth it to avoid getting rear-ended. 

Until you can get the screen of the phone of the person following to flash red and BRAKE, don't think it'll matter

Date Posted: Feb/07/2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Until you can get the screen of the phone of the person following to flash red and BRAKE, don't think it'll matter

Yeah, isn't that the truth but it helps. Ouch  The ones I have in mine seem to get peoples attention. The red rings around the reverse lights are hooked as third brakes lights and the have a flasher in the circuit so they flash 3 times when I hit the brake. A lot of the old cars have pretty poor tail/brake lights.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Posted By: Heavy 488
Date Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 7:21am
Like anything else, they're individual taste.
For me it's a novelty that doesn't fit an old car.

Posted By: Bernie70AMX
Date Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 7:49am
Just do not like the Led"s , Great for on the Christmas Tree But not on cars . Not even on newer cars. Ok for Driver but sure sucks for the guy coming the other way. I would outlaw them on cars. ( This coming from old Guy)

-------------
Bernie70AMX

Date Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 8:18am
To each their own but when you drive an old car as much as I do, you'll change your mind. Whether you like them or not, they do make a difference. Putting those cheap LED bulbs usually don't help but it's very dependent upon the housing style. I got rear ended several years back and that's when I decided to upgrade. Most of you don't drive your car more than 100+ miles a year so that's fine but when your baby gets hurts, believe me, you'll change your mind. Wink

I know most would laugh at this but I have a dash cam in the front and I'm working on one for the rear. Most people don't notice the front the way it's mounted and the rear you won't see unless you're really paying attention. When that guy hit me, he took off and I've had some other close calls so having proof of what happens won't hurt.

-------------

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Feb/08/2020 at 9:14pm
I’m a big proponent of originality, but when it comes to safety I think it is good to upgrade. Good power disc brakes come to mind and I believe the optional stock solid disc rotors and four-piston calipers on my ‘69 AMX are actually superior to the stock power disc brakes on later cars, such as on my ‘92 Pontiac Firebird V8. 

In the case of original brake lights, which are woefully inadequate, I am a big proponent of using LED brake lights that are well-done, with emphasis on well-done. They’re far brighter than incandescent bulbs, produce less heat and use less amperage. Anything that is better at getting the attention of the guy behind you is a good thing. 

Posted By: gtoman_us
Date Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 8:47am
Safety first.  I run 3rd LED brake light back glass mounted.

A garage or trailer queen is different from road mile warriors.  More important today with distracted drivers running up behind me.

Again to each their own.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

In the case of original brake lights, which are woefully inadequate, I am a big proponent of using LED brake lights that are well-done, with emphasis on well-done. They’re far brighter than incandescent bulbs, produce less heat and use less amperage. Anything that is better at getting the attention of the guy behind you is a good thing. 

I couldn't agree more. At the time when I made mine, I couldn't find anyone that would make them. You can't really see them until they get turned on and I tried to fill as much of the lens as possible. I wanted them to look as close to OEM as possible.
It's great that now there's an opportunity for Javelin/AMX owners to have some well done taillights. A friend of mine has a set from Easy Performance Products in his Firebird and they're really nice. I even think they might be a little brighter than ones from Digi-Tails. I hope more guys will step up and buy them and save $50. I doubt you'll be sorry. Keep in mind that LED's are hard to video or even take a picture of as I found out trying to take them of mine so their video is a bit misleading. They'll look better in person.

For anybody using a third brake light, you might want to splice this inline with it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M33BRAX" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M33BRAX

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/10/2020 at 8:37am
I like originality as well.

I don't like originality when it is no longer safe.

There are two big reasons I want LED tail lights in the White70JavelinSST.

Visibility and more Visibility to the point that it attracts a modicum of attention instead of none at all.

I drive the car roughly 2K miles a year.  I live in fear of cell phone users every time I drive it.

I live in fear of inattentive car occupants at stop lights. (cuz they aren't driving the car when they're using their phones)

I pray the light will turn green before that car coming  up from behind gets too close.

I like the occupant of the car behind me to know that I will be slowing down and turning.

I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of the kit and installing it.

The other thing I like about LED tail lights is the cool factor. Over the weekend I was behind a newer Mustang it had sequential turn signals. I've always wanted that for the White70JavelinSST.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net