Print Page | Close Window

1963 Rambler 660 Engine noise after shutting off

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made I-6 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83424
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 7:51am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1963 Rambler 660 Engine noise after shutting off
Posted By: Tommywilliams04
Subject: 1963 Rambler 660 Engine noise after shutting off
Date Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 8:16am
Hello all!
I was wondering if anyone may know what this noise is when I shut off my engine. Sometimes the rumble lasts a few seconds like this one on my video, or sometimes just a minor rumble. I'm not sure if this is anything I should be concerned with, or maybe a fix I can do myself. I've uploaded a video of the noise so you can hear it.
Thank you so much in advance,
Tommy

https://youtu.be/DmN_cCxSxWI

Replies:
Posted By: vinny
Date Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 9:24am
If it is an automatic maybe the flex plate is cracked. You might be able to see something by taking off the lower plate in front of the torque converter.

Do the crank pulley and other driven parts at the front look OK?

Oil pressure is OK with light out when it idles?

Date Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 9:35am
Thanks so much for your reply Vinny, it is an automatic. I'll check out the parts you suggested to see if I notice anything. It only seems to happen when I go for longer drives (about 15 miles to work) if I'm local it doesn’t make any noise when I shut it off..

Date Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 11:07am
I spoke to my mechanic, he suggested it could be dieseling. I have been putting just regular gas in my car. I'll try putting a bit better gas in next time. What type of gas do you all use?

Posted By: FSJunkie
Date Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 12:01pm
That is Dieseling, which is really weird considering how low the compression ratio is on that engine. It should be able to burn gasoline that has the octane of Moose piss before it Diesels like that.

The idle speed could be too high or it might have a ton of carbon deposits.

-------------
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited

Posted By: tyrodtom
Date Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 12:17pm
Actually the compression ratio on a 63 196 OHV isn't that low.   It's higher than the later 199-232s.

8.7 for the 196 verses the later sixes 8.5 and even lower for some  years until you get past the middle 70s when AMC started increasing the compression ratio.

With the more primitive combustion chamber design in the 196, it doesn't take a lot of carbon buildup to get hot spots in the combustion chamber that can lead to dieseling.

-------------
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 12:41pm
You might try shutting it off in drive. Also, make sure the idle speed isn't too high. If there's enough fuel available, and a heat source (ie hot carbon deposits) it will diesel.

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Date Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 12:57pm
Thanks so much for your replies. My mechanic also suggested shutting it off in gear. I'll give that a try. The engine is idling on the lower side I believe. I'll test out a different fuel before messing with the idle. Thanks so much again!

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 6:11am
Retarding timing may also help. Was timing set "by ear" or a timing light? The balancer may have slipped some if set with a light. Won't hurt to loosen the distributor clamp and turn it slightly. With the engine running turn it so the idle drops just a little, then tighten and see if that helps. You may have to readjust the idle if that works. If running mid grade gas helps retarding the timing a little will restore running on regular, if you prefer.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 11:04am
Thanks so much Frank! The car does seem to idle a bit on the high side, when I start the car it's on the low side, and idles high after a bit of sitting.

Date Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 5:49am
You could have an automatic choke issue. If the spring isn't connected right it could pull the choke on as it warms up instead of off. 

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 8:26am
I filled up last night with Ultra Premium gas, and it was like driving a different car! I drove this morning for about 50 minutes highway and free way and it shut off totally fine, without any residual noise. Thank you all so much for helping me figure out what the issue was I really appreciate your help!

Date Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 9:04am
If the running on problem went away with no other change than to add super premium gas then you haven't solved the problem,  you've only masked the symptoms.

If the problem is caused by a combination of deposits in the combustion chamber, along with too high a idle, rich mixture, or whatever, they'll come back later.

Because with a 8.7 compression ratio,  your engine in no way should need premium fuel, the problem is elsewhere.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 1:25pm
Thanks so much Tyrodtom! So do you think I should be looking into adjusting the idle? 

Date Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 5:07pm
  I like to quantify everything.  
If it's hot, how hot ?

You've said the engine seems to idle high, sometimes .

If I tell you to lower the idle, without knowing how high it is, may end up with it being  too low at the other times, and stall the car at the wrong time.

Your mechanic advised you just to shut it off in gear.  So evidently he didn't think it was high enough to bother with, didn't have the time, or whatever.   Even though it's only about a 5 minute procedure.

Turning off the ignition while the automatic is still in gear, with you foot on the brake, can hurt nothing as far as I can think of.  And is certainly less expensive than spending 10 cents or more for every gallon of gas you buy.

Myself i'd find out why it's running on,  but you've really haven't given me enough information to give you good advice.

-------------

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 6:19pm
That highway drive might have blown out enough carbon to give it a temporary reprieve from dieseling.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Oct/26/2016 at 9:04pm
I am not a big fan of remedies in a can, but in this case I think a can of Sea Foam added to the gas or poured into the carburetor with the engine running couldn't hurt . Get a can and use it in accordance with the directions on the can. Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 8:46am
Hi Tyrodtom, my mechanic had adjusted the idle because he thought it was set too high, but unfortunately he set it too low, because after leaving the shop it wouldn’t start when I went to leave that evening. Luckily he came and re adjusted it to be higher, and haven’t had a problem since (knock on wood!) I've noticed that when the car sits the idle seems to get higher as it sits. I start the car and let it warm up for a few minutes before leaving for my 50 minute drive. The idle is very low when I turn the key, and when I come back to leave it's idling much higher, when I give some gas it comes down.
Joe thank you so much, I'll check out that Sea foam!

I recorded another video this morning of my engine shutting off. This is after 50 minutes of highway and free way driving. average speed of 40 mph and about 65-70 on the free way. I put the car in park before turning it off. The only thing I've done so far was change the fuel type.
Thanks so much again everyone for your help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzJUlrV8-80&feature=youtu.be

Date Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 7:28pm
That idle change is the auto choke working. You set the choke by pressing the gas pedal to the floor then letting up BEFORE you try to start the engine. Then start and it should be set at a high idle. If it's a bit chilly (or cold) outside the idle may be a bit low at first, as you have observed. As the engine warms the idle will climb as the engine is just running better. When you tap the gas the choke will turn off (or at least idle down, depending on how cold outside and how warm engine is) and idle will drop. So sounds like the auto choke is working as it should. 

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 9:25pm
none of this is magical. if you dont have one, get a copy of the FACTORY technical service manual, not a Haynes etc manual, those are junk.

the only real way to do this work is to get methodical and go step by step through basic tune up and not look for instant fixes that you dont know why theyh work because it usually means they do nothing but distract you.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Date Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 11:23am
Thanks so much Tomj, I have the factory Parts and Service manual. The car had a  tune-up just before I got it. 

Posted By: rocklandrambler
Date Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Tommywilliams04 Tommywilliams04 wrote:

Thanks so much Tomj, I have the factory Parts and Service manual. The car had a  tune-up just before I got it. 

For what it's worth unless you actually did the tune up yourself you REALLY don't know what was done to it.  Check everything.  I'll also go along with what others have said that putting ultra premium in a car that wasn't designed for it is merely a "band aid". 

-------------
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H

Posted By: Ken Doyle
Date Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 12:34pm
If it runs better on premium fuel and you want to run regular fuel, you need to retard the ignition timing a bit.

The car is designed to run either regular or premium.  The owner's manual lists timing setting for both.

Date Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 1:03pm
If premium is better for the engine I don't mind spending a bit extra. I'm using it as my daily driver.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net