Forum Description: What makes it stop, turn, and smooths the ride
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80977
Printed Date: Apr/16/2024 at 12:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Repair Mount for Brake Booster? w/pics
Posted By: PlazinJavelin
Subject: Repair Mount for Brake Booster? w/pics
Date Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 12:02am
I tore apart the brake booster mount for my Javelin to blast and paint. Unfortunately it's in worse shape than I thought. You can see from the pictures that the metal tube insert for the pivot is eaten clean through. There are also nylon inserts that go in there and they're worn out too. (Forgot to get a pic of those).

Is there anywhere that sells part to fix these? 

Replies:
Date Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 12:55am
Found the nylon pivot bushings and booster boot at amark. Guessing I'm going to have to fab a new pivot tube myself to replace that rotted one. Doesn't look like it was meant to come apart.

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 9:24am
It wasn't, pressed fit IIRC. There is no stress on that tube, it's really just a spacer/bushing holder, it's not going to cause any problems used as is. It's hidden, I'd leave it alone, but if it bothers you you might consider grinding it down and slipping a piece of thin wall tubing over it instead of trying to remove and replace the tube. That will probably be a cut off and drill out operation, then tack weld a new one in place.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: Teamamc
Date Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 10:47am
I have some of these peices. Will dig through and see if I have a good one.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 5:26pm
Thanks, I'd appreciate it. To repair I'll have to cut the bad half off and weld on a new piece of tubing. It's pretty cooked. I could easily crush what's left with a pair of pliers and minimum effort.  

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. To repair I'll have to cut the bad half off and weld on a new piece of tubing. It's pretty cooked. I could easily crush what's left with a pair of pliers and minimum effort.  

Before I did that I'd glass bead it, do a weld build-up with a MIG or gas torch, and dress it to shape.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 7:46am
Thought about weld/patch as I've had success with other unusual repairs. Maybe the pic doesn't show well, but for this I'd have to recreate half the tube. Then when done the inside would be crud and need a lot of work. Sliding in a half inch bar of brass or copper might do help, but don't have any handy. New section of pipe would be easier. If there's no alternative it will be a weld up job.

Date Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 7:56am
I guessed that the weld repair would be substantial.  Personally I would use a gas torch as I have better control with one as opposed to a MIG.  As to the interior I was assuming (there's that word again) that since you are using the nylon bushings that the interior finish wouldn't have to be that good.  A cleanup with a die grinder may be sufficient.  But I'm just throwing out suggestions; you have the part in hand and have a better idea of what is, and isn't, feasible.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 8:32am

If you can't get a replacement, media blasting, welding the holes closed, building up the tube while using a brass shaft as a form inside looks a lot simpler than removing what's remaining of the tube and replacing it. Like others said, a die grinder or correct size mill will clean up the interior.
Brass round stock is available on ebay, and not that expensive. Flanged brass bushings are available from Aircraft Spruce and dirt cheap, less than $5 sometimes. They would work as an inner form.

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Posted By: 71SC360
Date Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 8:58am
Why are you wasting so much time on a $10 part? Even if you have to overpay for one, it's still so much less time and $ to just replace it. They are not that hard to find in good condition. I see them at shows in people's "junk parts" boxes. If you can wait until the weekend I will get you a replacement for $10 + shipping. Even if I have to send you the one from my own car...

Date Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

Why are you wasting so much time on a $10 part? Even if you have to overpay for one, it's still so much less time and $ to just replace it. They are not that hard to find in good condition. I see them at shows in people's "junk parts" boxes. If you can wait until the weekend I will get you a replacement for $10 + shipping. Even if I have to send you the one from my own car...

$10 + shipping? For that I'll take one also.  Seriously.

-------------
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

Why are you wasting so much time on a $10 part?

lol, I'm just waiting to see what Teamamc finds in his junk box. Not interesting in spending $75 worth of time/effort if I don't hav'ta. I tried to find a whole new booster mount a little while back for a good price. No luck. 

Date Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 7:29am
I have not been able to locate the peice.  I sent 2 complete boosters out to be restored.  May have sent the extra peices with it.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/14/2016 at 10:25pm
Thanks anyway for checking. I think I have some weld'n to do this weekend.

Posted By: White70JavelinSST
Date Posted: Jul/15/2016 at 9:31am

We'll be expecting the PlazinJavelin report come Monday, with pics and explanations of how you did the repair of course.

good luck

-------------
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Jul/15/2016 at 9:53am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

We'll be expecting the PlazinJavelin report come Monday, with pics and explanations of how you did the repair of course.

good luck
We'll be expecting a product announcement of a new PlazinJavelin item for sale.  LOL

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Jul/16/2016 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

We'll be expecting a product announcement of a new PlazinJavelin item for sale.  LOL

lol. the list grows. Unfortunately I'm not able to find a piece of pipe the correct size at my regular local hardware spots. Looking if it can be ordered for something less expensive than the price of a new car. :P

Posted By: hassyfoto
Date Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 7:04pm
PM sent

-------------
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Date Posted: Jul/23/2016 at 4:06pm
I  found a complete bracket assembly.   will post pictures later  if you still need this 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net