Print Page | Close Window

car lift

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Tool Time tool review and eval area
Forum Description: Tool reviews, evaluations and tips only please.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80786
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 8:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: car lift
Posted By: gremlin 72
Subject: car lift
Date Posted: Jul/03/2016 at 9:54am
The dannmar maxjax portable two post lift is a great piece of equipment to have in your garage. I bought it several years ago, but just installed it. My gremlin fits perfectly on arms. Pushed the car right up to 46" with great room to work on the car. Now that I am older and tired of crawling under the car, this is great for me. Costly, but worth not laying on cement floor. Resale value is good also. I did use grade 8 bolts to anchor to floor. Nice to see my tires off the cement floor.

-------------
72 jolly green gremlin X

Replies:
Posted By: 79amxv8
Date Posted: Jul/04/2016 at 8:35pm
I always tell people my lift is the best tool I ever bought. I have a four post Direct lift in my garage that my 6'1" son can walk and work under with no problems. It beats working on your back any day. Bought it from Greg Smith equipment out of Indiana.

Posted By: 401harry
Date Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 5:43pm
I have been thinking of one too. I like this for the portablilty. Does it have to be anchored? not sure by the description but suppose I could install inserts in my concrete floor

Date Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 7:31am
Yes, the columns have 5 spots each for anchoring. When you set the anchors below or even with the cement floor, they are not a tripping over problem. I did drill other holes for one side further out for my larger vehicle. About 5-8 minutes to move column. The column has 2 wheels at base for moving. All hoses are quick disconnects. Trans fluid for hydraulics. I have a chair creeper to sit on while under car. I'm now removing the rearend with a trans jack. So far so good compared to my old way(on the concrete).

-------------
72 jolly green gremlin X

Posted By: raceral
Date Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 6:17pm
They say you need a 4 1/2 inch thick concrete floor as well as rebar. I don't think most home garages are that thick, and/or rebar, how critical is it, are they just covering themselves or does it really need it.
How thick are the floors you guys have that have this systems when you drilled the holes?

Al

-------------
1969 390 AMX Black,leather, air, 8-Track, auto...

Posted By: CamJam
Date Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by raceral raceral wrote:

They say you need a 4 1/2 inch thick concrete floor as well as rebar. I don't think most home garages are that thick, and/or rebar, how critical is it, are they just covering themselves or does it really need it.
How thick are the floors you guys have that have this systems when you drilled the holes?

Al

I could be wrong, but I think that's true for the two-post lifts only.

-------------
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Posted By: JKJavelin
Date Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 8:11pm
I've had my Eagle 4 post for 3 years now, and it's one of the best things I've done. I don't have it anchored and it's fine for what I use it for. I spent about a year really checking into lifts before deciding on the one I bought. There are a lot of things to consider: length, width (consider the track of your tires- you don't want them right on the edge), height, type of ramps, voltage, type of ladder locks and more. Almost all 'hobby' lifts are made in China, and I hated that, and most of them copy from each other.
JK

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/08/2016 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by raceral raceral wrote:

Al

I could be wrong, but I think that's true for the two-post lifts only.

Sorry I didn't make my post very clear, I was actually referring my question to the fellows that have the two post maxjax.

Al

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/08/2016 at 8:43pm
I measured the thickness of the cement floor to be 3 1/2" thick. The anchors set within that thickness. I do not have any rebar in my concrete. The anchors are very large, with great gripping power. So far, nothing has moved. I can get some pictures on here if anyone would like to see how it is bolted down. Mike B.

-------------
72 jolly green gremlin X

Date Posted: Jul/09/2016 at 2:55pm
Thanks Mike.

I don't recall how thick my floor is, I think I have photos somewhere of when it was first poured. Just can't remember as it has been 14 years, and like others I am getting too old and stiff to lay on cement to fiddle with the car.
I like the idea of the Maxjax as I only have an eight foot ceiling. Sitting down is better than laying down.

Al

-------------

Posted By: skynless
Date Posted: Sep/02/2016 at 12:56pm
These are on sale for $2k, glad to have come across this review.

I just had my new garage/driveway poured, 4" pad with wire mesh, and I had them put 2'x3' sections of 6" depth for various 2-post lift footprints. 

It's been a few years since this was posted, any updates on the lift? I'm hoping it will be the right size for my '68 Rebel, can you confirm? Also, is the positioning of the lift basically in the middle of the car? They mention different front/rear distances, depending on the type of car (truck/FWD/RWD).

Thanks!

-------------
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343

Posted By: SirDigger
Date Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 3:28pm
Some things to mention..

-On AMC/Ramblers you need a lift with long Front arms,
to reach the Front rails of the UniBody.
With My javelin the Front arms of my lift are nearly 90° and maxed out to get a good support.
I marked the Positions of the Wheels, where the cars has to stand.
Most Lifts front arms will be not long enought.
I investigated a bit until i found a matching Lift.

As skynless posted 4" of concrete is the absolute Minimum.
I did 10" with 2 layers of big rebar.. but I´m a contractor.. LOL

The dowlels that come with the chinese lifts...
take them, and throw them in the Trash where they belong.
Get some BRAND decent ones,
or even better an chemical anchor bolt system like something from Hilti or Fisher.
http://www.fischerfixingsusa.com/Home/Product-Range/Product-Selector.aspx/cpage-category/pcategory-1001076852/" rel="nofollow - http://www.fischerfixingsusa.com/Home/Product-Range/Product-Selector.aspx/cpage-category
http://www.fischerfixingsusa.com/Home/Product-Range/Product-Selector.aspx/cpage-category/pcategory-1001076852/" rel="nofollow - /pcategory-1001076852/

Some System like this, is highly recomended when you work with existing concrete floor of unknown Quality.
An chemical anchor bolt wont add stress to the Floor with pre tension.

-------------
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 4:07pm
My new garage has scissor trusses that give me 12' peak interior (in the middle), so I'm leaning more towards one of the two cheaper models: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Post-Lift/Overhead-2-Post-Lifts

As far as the lift points, don't I just need to reach the four pads designated "LIFT"? 

Unfortunately for me that won't be possible until everything is stripped and the frame/floorboards are correctly restored (anyone know a guy near SE Michigan?).

Thanks!

-------------
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343

Date Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 1:52am

As far as the lift points, don't I just need to reach the four pads designated "LIFT"?

Depends on the Car. Some have diffrent Lift points, and no letterd LIFT Pads

-------------
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 4:04am
I'm referring to my '68 Rebel, which has them, albeit the rear driver side is too soft to support the car at the moment.

-------------
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343

Posted By: amxlonnie
Date Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 4:41pm
I have a 9000 Lb asymetrical lift and it works great. My javelin fits it nicely, have had many different cars on it though.  68 catalina on it right now(floor pans )
 It is bolted to a floor with fibermesh reinforced concrete. I would suggest this type of concrete if you're pouring a new floor. this stuff makes it very tough, drop a rotor or axle on it and it barely marks it, no chunks coming out of this stuff
I made a section through the center of my shop 6" thick so I would know it was strong enough. no problems in five years.

Cheap lift was 1695.00 installed w/o power or fluid .

being asymetrical the front arms are shorter than the rear. it makes getting in and out of the car easier, but they are plenty long for lifting just about anything I want to lift.

Posted By: jpnjim
Date Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 5:50pm
I'm leaning towards a 4 post myself,
 would be nice to do some car stacking, and turn the two car garage into a 3 car garage.
(especially for winter parking)

Someone already mentioned Greg Smith, any comments good or bad about them?

-------------
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 7:39pm
I bought an Eagle 16 years ago when they were made in the USA...Excellent product

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Posted By: CamJam
Date Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

would be nice to do some car stacking, and turn the two car garage into a 3 car garage.

If you have limited overhead clearance, it's good to remember that four-post lifts require a little more ceiling height for stacking cars.  With a four-post lift, you are lifting by the tires, whereas with a two post lift you are lifting by the frame, so the clearance underneath the four-post lift will be reduced by the difference.  With my 8' ceiling, I can fit my Opel GT and my AMX using a 2-post lift, but with a 4-post lift I would be shy by about 2".  Obviously this is only a concern if you have a low ceiling like I do.  I guess I could always put 9" tires and wheels on the Opel. LOL

There are other pros and cons to both.  I like that you can store things other than cars on a four-post (motorcycles come to mind), but things like rebuilding a suspension would be easier on a two-post. 

-------------
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 7:41am

Love my four poster for the parking. I have found out that you can do just about anything on the 4 posters. Jack up a single wheel if need be. If you are doing a brake job I find it just as easy to jack up on the floor with jack stands. Again...love the storage of a 4 poster.

I have bought parts, Hyd valve, from Greg Smith, did me good.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Posted By: nbarr
Date Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 9:08am
I'm using one of the Greg Smith (Chinese) 2 post lifts for my Rebel. 

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-9OHSC-SS-Overhead-Two-Post-Car-Lift" rel="nofollow - http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-9OHSC-SS-Overhead-Two-Post-Car-Lift

Have had it for ~4 years and used it a lot with no issue.  Have had a weighty '57 Dodge truck on it as well as my '06 Ram and lighter stuff like my wife's Nissan.  It did not come with floor anchors.  I used some from Fastenal.  I'd HIGHLY recommend lift jackstands.  I got some a pair Harbor Freight.  Normally I steer clear of HF on safety stuff but these were literally identical to the NAPA lift jackstands.  Just makes things so much more stable when horsing something big in or out.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-underhoist-safety-stand-60759.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-underhoist-safety-stand-60759.html

Date Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

If you have limited overhead clearance, it's good to remember that four-post lifts require a little more ceiling height for stacking cars.  With a four-post lift, you are lifting by the tires, whereas with a two post lift you are lifting by the frame, so the clearance underneath the four-post lift will be reduced by the difference.  With my 8' ceiling, I can fit my Opel GT and my AMX using a 2-post lift, but with a 4-post lift I would be shy by about 2".  Obviously this is only a concern if you have a low ceiling like I do.  I guess I could always put 9" tires and wheels on the Opel. LOL

There are other pros and cons to both.  I like that you can store things other than cars on a four-post (motorcycles come to mind), but things like rebuilding a suspension would be easier on a two-post. 

The previous owner built the garage with 12'9" ceilings in anticipation of a lift (he had a 2 post),
 but I would think about getting a 2 post for the other bay if I use the 4 post as much as I think I will.

Thanks for the input,
 and an Opel GT is a pretty cool car Smile
They were rare when AMC's were still common.

Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Love my four poster for the parking. I have found out that you can do just about anything on the 4 posters. Jack up a single wheel if need be. If you are doing a brake job I find it just as easy to jack up on the floor with jack stands. Again...love the storage of a 4 poster.

I have bought parts, Hyd valve, from Greg Smith, did me good.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Thanks for the input Ollie,
 I'm hoping the jack tray, plus one of those tall jack stands nbarr posted should make pulling one wheel at a time off pretty easy.

plus giving the Mrs Jpnjim a place to park over the winter keeps everyone happy LOL

-------------

Posted By: Ram Air Rick
Date Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 4:11pm
As Cam points out, there are many considerations when purchasing a car lift.

When I purchased mine, I wanted it to have the footprint, and be strong enough so that I could do occasional service work on the my Ford Crewcab Diesel pickup truck. It mostly serves to create an additional spot in my garage, allowing my three car garage to house four.

A four post lift was my only real option, given my layout. I did however plan to do a four post lift from the onset, when building my garage.

I purchased a"Made in the USA" Gemini lift through a company in Michigan named Aresco.

http://www.aresco.org/" rel="nofollow - http://www.aresco.org/

As things turned out, the trucks footprint was a little wider than the ramps, so Gemini welded a provision onto the outsides of the ramps, to enable the tires to fit on the ramps completely.

I was very satisfied with the service I received from both Aresco, and Gemini.

Rich C.

Date Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 6:02pm
Storing=4 Point lift

PS even on an 4 Post you can store 2 Cars on an low cieling.
On most 4 Point lifts you can move the tracks to the Middle, and build some surfaces with wodden boards there the rails should be.
Place some heavy rubber blocks on the inner rails there the car should have contact, and you have the same storage height as on a 2 Post lifts.

Working on the Actual car, 2 Posts are the way to go.

I´ll have an chinese made 8000lbs 2 Post lift,~1500$ with longer arms,
and it matches the Javelins frame rails in front full contact but its on the most outter point. I have even marked the Location of the Wheels on the Ground. I had some problems with the dowels, they sucked so i went with
a chemical style rebar anchoring system, and the actual lift works fine.
I´ll have the same 2 Post lift in the companys garage, for smaller crew trucks kinda F250 Weight, and it works since 3 years with out problems.

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: one bad rambler
Date Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 8:36pm
There are pros and cons for both lifts...mostly storage and ease of set 4 post is the way to go...serv work 2 post...i have a 12 inch jack tray and a air jack that will lift by the frame or a pinch weld...4 post is nice when you order the tall/long lift i have 6 1/2 feet under my lift

-------------
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 2:58am
I have a 2 post lift in a 12ft building best money ever spent bought off best buy out of the west coast 1200$ for the lift 4oo$ for shipping very good quality built just like the bendix lifts I learned you must have 6inch of concrete had to cut out section and pour new area just for lift it cracked after a couple of weeks of use   

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Posted By: nbarr
Date Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 2:41pm

Feedback on Greg Smith- showroom is clean, well lit and spacious.  Sales folks know their stuff.  If you are driving any sort of distance to get there, call first to make sure they have your potential purchase(s) in stock.  They sometimes don't.  On both my lift and rotisserie there were a couple small pieces/parts missing.  One phone call and they FedEx them to you.  Anything big that you purchase will come in a crate and be loaded by a fork truck.  For my rotisserie, they busted open the crate and helped me reload the contents into my truck bed since I had a hardshell cover on it and the crate was too tall.  If you want to save a little more $$ with them, look for them at car shows like Carlisle.  Their show prices for a lift are $100 less than the showroom. 

As info after I used my rotisserie for a year I sold it quickly on craigslist for $300 less than I had in it including transport.  Not a bad rental fee.

Date Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by nbarr nbarr wrote:

Feedback on Greg Smith- showroom is clean, well lit and spacious.  Sales folks know their stuff.  If you are driving any sort of distance to get there, call first to make sure they have your potential purchase(s) in stock.  They sometimes don't.  On both my lift and rotisserie there were a couple small pieces/parts missing.  One phone call and they FedEx them to you.  Anything big that you purchase will come in a crate and be loaded by a fork truck.  For my rotisserie, they busted open the crate and helped me reload the contents into my truck bed since I had a hardshell cover on it and the crate was too tall.  If you want to save a little more $$ with them, look for them at car shows like Carlisle.  Their show prices for a lift are $100 less than the showroom. 

As info after I used my rotisserie for a year I sold it quickly on craigslist for $300 less than I had in it including transport.  Not a bad rental fee.

Thanks for the feedback Clap

I'm about a 1/2 hour away from one, and have a buddy with a dually flatbed that keeps offering to take the ride with me.

I guess the only thing stopping me now is me 

-------------

Posted By: andyleonard
Date Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 11:05am
I got a MaxJax due to ceiling height and it's excellent for brake/suspension stuff. I'm 6'4" and sitting on a standard roller stool I can't work under the cars. Sometimes I sit on a creeper, sometimes I put 4x4s under the lift points, and sometimes I lower the car and lie on the floor. I'm considering cutting a roller stool down and see if that works. If you're tall this is a consideration.

Also the MaxJax can be unbolted in minutes and you can have a second location - outside for example - for the cost of a second set of bolts, which is great. The pump, motor and lifters are all on wheels.

Posted By: LouB
Date Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 10:58am
I have had my Bendpak 4-post lift for a couple years now.  I agree with some of the other comments- one of the best things I ever bought for the shop.  I got the 4-post because of the ability to store a car.  The big drawback to the 4-post for me was I want to work on card without the tires being on the ramp so I purchased the roller jack option.  My only regret in not buying two, one for front and one for back for those times I want all 4 tires up.  It's a pricy option but well worth it.  It wasn't necessary to bold mine to the floor, in fact I also purchased the mobility option which is a set of wheels that attach to eacs post let allowing the entire lift to be "rolled" around the shop floor.  I have only used it once- it's not super easy rolling it around!.  The one drawback to the 4-post is if you want to lower a body over, let's say the k-member.  The ramps get in the way of such maneuvers.  I'm considering buying the MaxJax for the times I need an asymmetrical 2-post lift.   So for me, I really would like to have both but if one is only possible I would go for the 4-post with jack options for the storing capability.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net