Print Page | Close Window

Kenosha 2017

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Upcoming Shows and Events
Forum Description: AMC related shows, auctions or events go here. Announce club events here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78738
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 7:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kenosha 2017
Posted By: bcsideshow
Subject: Kenosha 2017
Date Posted: Apr/13/2016 at 3:20pm
Kenosha History Center website has the dates for Kenosha 2017 Homecoming July 25-9, 2017.

http://www.kenoshahistorycenter.org/events.html#" rel="nofollow - Kenosha 2017

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Replies:
Posted By: Frost White 68X
Date Posted: Apr/13/2016 at 3:40pm
GREAT EVENT !! Everyone must attend at least once. When will host hotel and other information be posted. Have to make reservations real early !!

Posted By: woody
Date Posted: Apr/13/2016 at 3:53pm
This isn't a Club event.  You should contact the History center for all details and information on Hotels.

-------------
1972 Gremlin X CA-V8,4spd, Levi.

1969 AMX Regatta Blue and tan.

Posted By: tufcj
Date Posted: Apr/13/2016 at 6:19pm
Had a blast at the 2014 show. Planning on going back for 2017.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford

Posted By: gtoman_us
Date Posted: Apr/13/2016 at 8:30pm
A must. More than a show but a true event. Friday Swap meet, parade to downtown. Saturday show. Lakeside venue, no judging just Nash, Rambler and AMC fans galorer.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Posted By: Bruce Clarkson
Date Posted: Apr/14/2016 at 7:34pm
We're recent Rambler owners and went to the last one. Both my wife and I had a great time. Recommended even if there's a lot of I-90 from Boston to there.

Bruce Clarkson

-------------
Bruce Clarkson

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Apr/14/2016 at 9:14pm
2014 was a blast, I'll be coming back in 2017 for sure...and definitely won't be reserving at the harborside!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: Red Rebel
Date Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 11:56am
Wife and I are hoping to make it to this with our Machine. Have heard a lot of good things about this event.
Tony, what is the harborside? Sounds like a bad experience? Thanks, Patrick

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 12:12pm
Look for Ollie, Teresa and The Rambler to be cruising the streets in the north woods and passing a good time.
Looking Forward to AMC Fun,
Ollie

Posted By: Rogue343
Date Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 12:38pm
Too bad the hotels don't take reservations more than a year in advance or I'd already have a room!  

Kenosha is a blast!  Cruise-ins, parades, downtown show on Friday night, the big show on Saturday.  Vendors galore.  Hotel parking lot mingling with a few adult beverages.  Never had a bad experience in Kenosha, seems like the whole town gets into it.  

If you've never been to this meet it's a MUST attend.  It's like going to Rambler Heaven! 

-------------
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003

Posted By: azfletch
Date Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 2:41pm
Maybe we should do a Rogue reunion at the 2017 Kenosha Meet?  It will be the 50 year Anniversary of the 1967 Rogue.
Can you say 4 speeds?

-------------
Mark Fletcher
72 AMX 401 with 6K original miles.
70 Mark Donohue Javelin, 390 4 speed with 47K miles.
70 AMX, 390 AT, AC Randall car.
67 Rogue Barbados Blue 290 225HP 4 speed convertible 71K miles.

Posted By: Sonic Silver
Date Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 4:01pm
If the German and the crazy Canadians are coming, count me in. The German and the crazy Canucks know who they are.

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 12:09am
I know nossing I see nossing....

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Red Rebel Red Rebel wrote:

Wife and I are hoping to make it to this with our Machine. Have heard a lot of good things about this event.
I had reservations at the BW Harborside a year in advance and they cancelled them on me 2 weeks before I was leaving to get there. "Renovations weren't completed". I heard they had corporate reservations they HAD to honor so thye just killed all of us like we were nothing. Meant I had to scramble for a room  that was a 15 minute drive away instead of right downtown where everything was going on. BRUTAL customer service...

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: SirDigger
Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 9:20am
Executive Inn again Tony?  
Wasnt a bad Place, maybe a bit off the city but the Parkinglot Gatherings were great. Wink

I will certainly come again, dunno now how i organize the trip, just fly to chicago or do an roadtrip again. 

-------------
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: Red Rebel
Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 10:03am
Tony, thanks for the heads up. That is terrible customer service. Is there normally a host hotel for the event?

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 12:29pm
There are numerous hotels listed, there were a lot of AMC folks left scrambling that's for sure.

Holger, I would probably do the executive again but it's expensive for such an old hotel. The parking lot was a lot of fun but it was also a LONG way from downtown and the showfield.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 1:35pm
I think the hotels are getting wise to how big these shows are getting.  I heard a lot of stories about how much more the hotels were charging in 2014 versus 2011.  We stayed at the BW Executive Inn in 2011 and IIRC paid about 80 dollars a night.  2014 they were getting like 125.  We stayed at the Laquinta and paid like 85 a night.  Older hotel, but clean and safe.  Most of the hotels are centered in that area, looks like there is a new Hampton Inn out there now too.  Lots of good restaurants out there as well.

It's really only about a 15-20 minute drive to most of the activities.  I think I put about 150 miles on the Rogue in the four days we were there.  It was fun to get it out and drive it that much.

What's the matter, Tony, are you afraid to drive your car?  Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by azfletch azfletch wrote:

Maybe we should do a Rogue reunion at the 2017 Kenosha Meet?  It will be the 50 year Anniversary of the 1967 Rogue.
Can you say 4 speeds?

I'm bringing mine.  You bringing yours?  

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Rogue343 Rogue343 wrote:

It's really only about a 15-20 minute drive to most of the activities.  I think I put about 150 miles on the Rogue in the four days we were there.  It was fun to get it out and drive it that much.

I bet I put at least that many miles on the AMX. I actually had to fill it up before I even left! I think quite a few of my miles were sideways so they might not count on the odometer correctly!

It's funny, I don't think I've seen pictures of your trailer princess at the racetrack...Tongue

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: Have2SC's
Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

I bet I put at least that many miles on the AMX. I actually had to fill it up before I even left! I think quite a few of my miles were sideways so they might not count on the odometer correctly!

It's funny, I don't think I've seen pictures of your trailer princess at the racetrack...Tongue
 and you probably never willLOL

-------------
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 7:50pm
Maybe the Amc Forum should team up and gather on 1-2 Hotels/motels that are close together.  Now we have enought time to reserve  rooms.

It would be great to talk to ppl from the board a little more,
as just run into them at the showfield or the cruises.
Sorry i got distracted too... LOL Too much AMC input.

Hey Lee, if i ever bring a AMC Car to Kenosha (with German Plates),
I will challenge you at the Great Lakes Dragstrip.. Wink 

You dont have to go WOT, so my chances are better LOL

-------------
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: CamJam
Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 10:54pm
I'll be there with my AMX!   Was there in 2014 but the AMX was a shell of its former self at the time... literally, so it didn't get to make the trip. 

I met Holger and a few of the other great folks there, but I was just finding my way around and it sounds like I missed most of the evening fun. Sounds like most of it was at the Executive Inn!  Anyway, it was a great venue and I wouldn't miss it!  This time I promise not to be so timid.

Gotta see if I survive Rockford first though I guess.

-------------
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 11:43pm
Just be careful with sonicsilver that guy drinks too much...

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Have2SC's Have2SC's wrote:

and you probably never willLOL

I will have you know that I can get pictures of my car at the local dragstrip very easily.  They have a big show and shine there every year!  Big smile

-------------

Posted By: amcglass
Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 7:40am
in the defense of HAVE 2SCs   we have attended many shows Rogue343 and myself that my car was the ONLY ONE on a trailer.   the 02 Rambler all because they didn't want to wait for the 24 mph to get there to the show. LOL and I can assure you they drive the cars often. :)   

-------------
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 8:07am
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

Maybe the Amc Forum should team up and gather on 1-2 Hotels/motels that are close together.  Now we have enough time to reserve  rooms.....

I second that thought.  As a minimum it would be nice if someone who is more familiar with the motels in the area would comment on the pros and cons of what's available.  The last time I was at the Homecoming was 2011 and I'm sure the accommodations have changed somewhat.  As to the event, it was GREAT!  Unless the wife or I die, I'll be there.  One thing I'm doing is making a nametag with my forum name and given name so people at least can tell who I am.  They did that the one time I was at GAD and it was very helpful to put a face to a name.

Can't help it, I'm just vibrating with excitement!  

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach

Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 8:40am

Just be careful with sonicsilver that guy drinks too much...
It only seemed like a lot because you were buying.

Posted By: Ohio AMX
Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 9:08am

Originally posted by Red Rebel Red Rebel wrote:

I had reservations at the BW Harborside a year in advance and they cancelled them on me 2 weeks before I was leaving to get there. "Renovations weren't completed". I heard they had corporate reservations they HAD to honor so thye just killed all of us like we were nothing. Meant I had to scramble for a room  that was a 15 minute drive away instead of right downtown where everything was going on. BRUTAL customer service...

Same thing happened to us, reservations cancelled a month before the show. I vowed never to return, but... after landing at the ghetto Knights Inn of Racine, fearing for our lives, and having to pay for one night just for going into the room to use the phone to find another hotel... we plan to return to the BW Harborside anyway.

-------------
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983

Posted By: sidewinder
Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 11:51am
The issue at the last homecoming was they were renovating the hotel at HS.  The time before that was an issue with trailer parking. ( they don't allow trailers)   With a little luck this time ( 2017) all will go well ...
I like it there because it's close to the park where the show is and right on the water....

Chuck Page  

-------------
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Posted By: Raybo
Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 2:37pm
Our group of 9 cars from Manitoba stayed at the Harbourside, we had to pay the full amount a year in advance to guarantee the rooms. We were pleased with the facilities and great location. We are looking forward to the next homecoming in 2017 .

Posted By: Concours dude
Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 8:51pm
In years past, has anyone tried booking rooms with a AAA discount, priceline, ect? Thinking about going for the first time.

-------------
Past owned:
62 Classic 400
1976 Hornet
65 440 H
61 Amb
59 Classic wagon
55 Ambassador Sedan
54 Ambassador Country Club
AMCRC #1929
AMO #10029

Posted By: azfletch
Date Posted: Apr/19/2016 at 10:09am

Can you say 4 speeds?

Howard, That is the plan.  If we can make it happen, we need to get a Photo shoot of the two Barbados Blue 67 4 speed Rogues being together.

-------------
Mark Fletcher
72 AMX 401 with 6K original miles.
70 Mark Donohue Javelin, 390 4 speed with 47K miles.
70 AMX, 390 AT, AC Randall car.
67 Rogue Barbados Blue 290 225HP 4 speed convertible 71K miles.

Date Posted: Apr/19/2016 at 1:12pm
A Drone with a Cam would be Great to take Arial Pictures/Videos
from the Showfield. It can totally fly along the Lake shore above the Lake  without putting PPL and Cars unterneath in a Danger.
Or we ask Tomy Z for the Fire Departments Ladder Truck LOL

And a Shoot down at the Lake, with the R/W/B Line up 
or at Night at Downtown Kenosha ..

Or a Picture on a 4-Way Crossing with 2 Rouges from the Sides and one from the Front.

Or 56th Street with the Street Car and all Parked/Moving Cars are AMC.

I know some Canadian Guy with a good eye and a Camera... Wink

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Apr/21/2016 at 9:29am

Can you say 4 speeds?

Howard, That is the plan.  If we can make it happen, we need to get a Photo shoot of the two Barbados Blue 67 4 speed Rogues being together.

I'm thinking that's something we should be able to make happen!  Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: woody
Date Posted: Apr/25/2016 at 11:06am

2014 was a blast, I'll be coming back in 2017 for sure...and definitely won't be reserving at the harborside!

AGREE!  We got a one night free stay because they canceled our room at the last minute.  We went to use the "free" room the following summer, (good for 12 months) and they wanted us to pay.  I was ready to call the police and then they approved the FREE room agreement.  Good thing we had the paperwork to prove it.  The manager was terrible. We gave him the paperwork and he wasn't going to give it back.  He then made a copy and called someone.  After about 30 minutes they "allowed" us to leave. Worst hotel experience I've ever had.

-------------
1972 Gremlin X CA-V8,4spd, Levi.

1969 AMX Regatta Blue and tan.

Date Posted: Apr/25/2016 at 12:52pm
I hope you left a bad review on Yelp or TripAdvisor. Best way I know of to warn others and to get management to fix their problems is with public shaming. 

-------------

Posted By: Trans Canada
Date Posted: May/18/2016 at 10:34am
Okay going to wait till after Rockford to book hotel for Kenosha. would like to hear from the locals as well!
Here what we CANADIAN'S need ......good bar, cheap drink's ,lots screen TV,s,Great looking young Girls that stand in front of are cars for no money! so we can take pictures and nice big parking lot so us Canadian's can talk about your new president that is going to be no better then the Selfie Shooting Pretender running our country!!!!!(He or she) and of course we need a Tim Horton's as well

Cheers

Will wait to hear

Posted By: mramc
Date Posted: May/18/2016 at 12:50pm
Trans Canada Most of the Canadians visiting Kenosha for the AMC meets stay at the  

BEST WESTERN EXECUTIVE INN

7220 122nd Ave., https://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/3479-in-Kenosha-WI.html" rel="nofollow - Kenosha , WI https://www.hotelplanner.com/zip/Kenosha-WI-hotels-in-53142" rel="nofollow - 53142 United States (USA). It at Interstate I-94 and Wisconsin 50 . It's right behind the Brat Stop (Food & Beer) . I can say for the Girls one way or the other. There are about 10 hotels in the immediate Kenosha area and I think 7 if I recall correctly are at  Cross Roads (I-94 and highway 50). There a also a Best Western  Harbor side , it's not as nice, the walls are thin. It is however right down town Kenosha on the Lakefront , close to the meet site ,lots of restaurants and bars close by, but it usually sells out early and has a limited number of rooms. Close is an advantage and a disadvantage. Try and avoid the Knights Inn at Cross Roads it's cheap but usually on the low end of things, but it right across from the Best Western at cross roads.  I like the La Quinta Inn across the street (50) myself. But you pays your money and you make your choice. LRDaum Kenosha meet veteran since 1977.

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: May/19/2016 at 2:18am
And they call us germans discerning....  
I was pleased with a bed, a Brat(not the best one in my life) and beer... or something they told me, they think its beer. Wink

Someguys say the Hotel/MotelComplex around the Executive is too far away from Downtown,
but its 10 Minutes with the car in Traffic..
Big plus is the parkinglot gatherings at the evenings...

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: matt1976
Date Posted: May/22/2016 at 1:30pm
A drone with a cam? are they cranking up drones now? lol.Smile

-------------
1969s/c rambler ,1973 amx

Posted By: UNFORD
Date Posted: May/30/2016 at 8:01pm
Ditto Tony, my experience in 2011 at the Harborside left me looking else where in 2014..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: May/30/2016 at 8:05pm
Cameron, when ya leaving for Rockford next month? Do you plan on arriving early enough for the Tuesday cruise in?

Mark

Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I'll be there with my AMX!   Was there in 2014 but the AMX was a shell of its former self at the time... literally, so it didn't get to make the trip. 

I met Holger and a few of the other great folks there, but I was just finding my way around and it sounds like I missed most of the evening fun. Sounds like most of it was at the Executive Inn!  Anyway, it was a great venue and I wouldn't miss it!  This time I promise not to be so timid.

Gotta see if I survive Rockford first though I guess.

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: May/30/2016 at 8:09pm
I didn't have a trailer in 2014 so it was a non issue. Now I do so now it's a consideration. In 2014 trailers were directed to a high school about 5 miles away, unlimited parking. I don't really want to unhook and leave my trailer unattended. I wish someone had a list of hotels in Kenosha that had trailer parking. It's getting time to make reservations for next year..

Mark

Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

The issue at the last homecoming was they were renovating the hotel at HS.  The time before that was an issue with trailer parking. ( they don't allow trailers)   With a little luck this time ( 2017) all will go well ...
I like it there because it's close to the park where the show is and right on the water....

Chuck Page  

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: mramc
Date Posted: May/31/2016 at 1:00pm
For trailer parking your pretty much limited to most of the hotels at cross roads Highway 50 and I -94 ,as they all cater to Semi Truck drivers so I think if I recall correctly 4 of the 5 hotels have semi truck parking plus the Brat Stop has a large parking area. besides being the larger collection of hotels it also has the most extra trailer parking space. Google it if you have to It's the major reasons most people stay there for the meets.
 LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: May/31/2016 at 2:59pm
Hi Larry, ya I looked at Google Maps and saw the huge parking lot behind the brat place. I'll see if I can grab a room nearby..

Mark

Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

For trailer parking your pretty much limited to most of the hotels at cross roads Highway 50 and I -94 ,as they all cater to Semi Truck drivers so I think if I recall correctly 4 of the 5 hotels have semi truck parking plus the Brat Stop has a large parking area. besides being the larger collection of hotels it also has the most extra trailer parking space. Google it if you have to It's the major reasons most people stay there for the meets.
 LRDaum

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: May/31/2016 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by UNFORD UNFORD wrote:

Cameron, when ya leaving for Rockford next month? Do you plan on arriving early enough for the Tuesday cruise in?

Mark

Mark, my plan is to arrive Tuesday afternoon. Will definitely do the evening cruise-ins, but I'm still up in the air about the 40 mile day-time drive. Like Tony, I don't really want to get my car dirty before the show.

I'm taking I-40 from Flagstaff to Albuquerque, then up on I-25 to either I-70 or I-80 across either Kansas or Nebraska. Unbelievably, the difference in distance is less than ten miles either way, so I'll likely take I-80 there and I-70 back. I-80 is a nice road across Nebraska, but usually has more truck traffic than I-70.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 12:05am
I drove through Kansas one day driving back from Charleston.....was the worst month of my life.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 1:51am

I drove through Kansas one day driving back from Charleston.....was the worst month of my life.

You obviously haven't driven across Texas. A calendar is a better option than a map. : )

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 2:18pm
That's about the same time frame I had in mind. To get there by mid Tuesday what day do you plan on leaving? I'll probably leave early Sunday morning and drive out 40. I like to drive non-stop usually. 

I take that back. Not that I like to, it just ends up that way. I hate stopping for a few hours, spend $100 for a room, then not sleep well. I'd rather just get some zzzs in my truck and keep going and bank the money for beer. when I arrive. 

In 2009 I drove from CA to St. Louis for the AMO Nat non stop. Man, those last 6 hours seemed like they'd never end. I was never so happy to lay my head down and go to sleep. Just to see if it was a fluke to stay awake that long I did it again in 2011 driving from CA to Minnesota non stop on my way to Kenosha. Much better to stop at least once! It takes a lot of coffee otherwise!

Mark

Originally posted by UNFORD UNFORD wrote:

Mark

Mark, my plan is to arrive Tuesday afternoon. Will definitely do the evening cruise-ins, but I'm still up in the air about the 40 mile day-time drive. Like Tony, I don't really want to get my car dirty before the show.

I'm taking I-40 from Flagstaff to Albuquerque, then up on I-25 to either I-70 or I-80 across either Kansas or Nebraska. Unbelievably, the difference in distance is less than ten miles either way, so I'll likely take I-80 there and I-70 back. I-80 is a nice road across Nebraska, but usually has more truck traffic than I-70.

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 2:25pm
Mark, I do the same, 750-850 miles in a day and sleep in my truck at rest areas. The only hotels are at the events which helps cover the big costs of these trips for me.

I'll be there Tuesday and leaving Sunday also.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 3:23pm
I was planning to leave Az Saturday morning. I used to drive 750-800 miles a day, but that doesn't sound like much fun any more, nor does sleeping in my truck, especially with all the crazies armed to the hilt these days. I know of several murders at rest areas in Arizona, and I'm sure it's just as bad everywhere else along the Interstates. I'm planning on 500 miles a day, and anyone who thinks they'll be able to steal my car or trailer from a motel will be sorely disappointed.

I travel 80 mph or more in my car, but towing I like to keep it under 70 mph.

-------------

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 4:00pm

.... anyone who thinks they'll be able to steal my car or trailer from a motel will be sorely disappointed....

Sounds like you travel with a couple buddies I know....Smith & friend   

Me too!!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 4:31pm
No, I just have high security chain that bolt cutters won't touch, I chain the car to the trailer, the trailer to the tow vehicle and I disable the tow vehicle so it won't run. Unless they have an angle grinder (which makes lots of noise) they won't get anywhere.

-------------

Posted By: nastynash
Date Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 4:31pm
me and Dan Wesson Embarrassed

Date Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 2:51am
Unless they have an angle grinder (which makes lots of noise) they won't get anywhere.

Problem is that Hydraulic Boltcutters got cheap...  These things will chew throught the chain like a hotknife throught butter..

I will be there probably from Monday to Monday or so.
Probably fly in to O´Hare and not doing a Roadtrip from Boston again.

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 8:51am

Unless they have an angle grinder (which makes lots of noise) they won't get anywhere.

Problem is that Hydraulic Boltcutters got cheap...  These things will chew throught the chain like a hotknife throught butter..

I will be there probably from Monday to Monday or so.
Probably fly in to O´Hare and not doing a Roadtrip from Boston again.

Even hydrauic bolt cutters won't cut it. They'll need a torch or a cutting wheel, which will be very obvious in a motel parking lot at 3 a.m.

https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chain/security_maxx/FAQ.htm

Actually, my first choice was a brand called Pewag, which is made in Switzerland, but the U.S. importer is out of stock right now.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/03/2016 at 2:56am
any of you guy's called about rooms we did  seems most hotels are all ready sold out, check for your selves Nasty

Posted By: AMXTSY
Date Posted: Jun/06/2016 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by nastynash nastynash wrote:

any of you guy's called about rooms we did  seems most hotels are all ready sold out, check for your selves Nasty

It's unlikely that all of the area hotels are all ready booked up. Someone could just be pulling your leg...

The Best Western Reservation Line 800-637-5958 (including Executive Inn and Harbor Side Locations) won't even take reservations over a year in advance.

May need to call back in late July.    Bruce

-------------
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928

Posted By: JKJavelin
Date Posted: Jun/06/2016 at 8:09pm
I made my reservation at the Executive Inn on Saturday. I first called the 800 number, and they couldn't go that far ahead. Then I called the hotel direct, 262-857-7699, and I got the room... although I'm still waiting for my email confirmation.
JK

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/08/2016 at 1:33pm
Just called them, and the guy at the phone claims they cant make reservations 50 weeks before the actual date. 

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: transcanada
Date Posted: Jun/08/2016 at 3:12pm
Thanks you the heads up

Date Posted: Jun/08/2016 at 3:19pm

Just called them, and the guy at the phone claims they cant make reservations 50 weeks before the actual date. 
They probably remember you from 2 years ago.

Posted By: JKJavelin
Date Posted: Jun/08/2016 at 5:36pm
OK- Apparently several of you called the hotel and the assistant General Manager actually called me to explain what happened. When I called them over the weekend, they were doing a computer upgrade that inadvertently allowed the front desk to access dates over their 50 week max, so lucky me was able to get a room. They're letting me keep mine, but the whole hotel is otherwise available starting mid- August (12th or so?) for our event in late July. She remembered our group being in town 2 years ago and is glad to have us back.
JK

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/08/2016 at 6:51pm
...except Holger. LOL

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Jun/09/2016 at 6:49pm
were booked at the Carlson country inn and suite confirmation in hand call direct hotel management said very few rooms left, so we ve got our rooms. we phoned  4 or 5 other hotels who also told us bookings were going fast so if some one's pulling my leg, don't care just trying to give other people a heads up Willy call me Nasty

Date Posted: Jun/28/2016 at 8:32am
Best Western Harbor side, which is closest to where the show is, has been shutdown for code violations. I am assuming it will reopen within a year but you may want to confirm if you got reservations.

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Date Posted: Jun/28/2016 at 1:03pm
If everything fails... I will camp in Zio´s front yard.. LOL

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Aug/09/2016 at 3:44am
Seems i realy have to camp in someone´s Frontyard, or they really remember me...
all Hotels in Kenosha are booked on the german Travel portals i use.

I send a FAX to the Best Western Executive Inn, not even an Response. Cry

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: steinercj5
Date Posted: Aug/13/2016 at 10:14am
SirDigger, if you run out of options I have a big backyard for tents... I would just have to let my family know why there's a big German
living in our yard. Free fire pit too. (Beer not included)

Date Posted: Aug/13/2016 at 7:37pm
 I made reservations at the B-W Executive last week, but was told there is a FOUR night minimum. I tried several times to make reservations earlier. Their computer would allow it then. They also said there still plenty of rooms still available. Very expensive! Nearly double the rate, compared to Rockford. Having second thoughts. Anyone else feel gouged or am I missing something? Bruce

-------------
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928

Posted By: dkrtgood
Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 8:45am
Just booked best western also. 3 night min special. 90 something per night plus typical taxes etc. Not too bad considering it's right there. Only single king size beds avail so bring air matresses.
This will be my first Kenosha trip...looking forward to it!!!!

-------------
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 10:30am
Dave, did you book at Harborside or the executive? I just tried AGAIN at the Executive and this time she could actually book me in...5 nights came in at 920 bucks with all the discounts. That works out to an average of $185/night which is ridiculous...I stayed there the last show and it's nowhere near worth that.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 11:53am
 Tony you could always split a room with Holger

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 1:27pm
We used to stay at the Best Western by the water and although the location is good, we didn't like their poor service, mediocre rooms, limited parking and high costs. We never arrived before check in and the hotel never had our room ready on time. We always had a long wait at the desk only to find out that the room was not ready, necessitating returning later for another long wait. The last time we stayed near the interstate, I think at Country Inn and Suites, and it was great. The cost was reasonable, breakfast was included, there was plenty of parking, the room was comfortable and good restaurants were nearby. Also, people with trailers were not ticketed as they were when parking at the BW. It was well worth the longer trip to the show field.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Posted By: Fluffy73
Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 1:57pm
Hmmmm.....  I wonder if I can have the Humpster back together in a little under a year?? hehe :)

-------------
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 4:41pm

Dave, did you book at Harborside or the executive? I just tried AGAIN at the Executive and this time she could actually book me in...5 nights came in at 920 bucks with all the discounts. That works out to an average of $185/night which is ridiculous...I stayed there the last show and it's nowhere near worth that.

Executive quoted me $865.94 for four nights (minimum) for one person. That figures out to be over $220.00/night with no discounts. Totally outrageous! I will probably just drive my old van up for the day and attend the swap meet. Only a three hour drive-if I go through Chicago. That would sure save a lot to buy parts with. Bruce

-------------
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by AMXTSY AMXTSY wrote:

Executive quoted me $865.94 for four nights (minimum) for one person. That figures out to be over $220.00/night with no discounts. Totally outrageous! I will probably just drive my old van up for the day and attend the swap meet. Only a three hour drive-if I go through Chicago. That would sure save a lot to buy parts with. Bruce

Best Western harborside Inn - 5125 6th Avenue

5 nights total was 544.74 with all taxes (Boils down to 108.94 per night) split 2 ways it's not bad 55 bucks a night

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 5:17pm

Posted info in another reply to this thread. I booked direct on their website

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 5:20pm
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/WI/Kenosha-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Harborside-Inn---Kenosha-Conference-Center/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=50130" rel="nofollow - http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/WI/Kenosha-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Harborside-Inn---Kenosha-Conference-Center/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=50130

Direct link to Harborside Inn

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 6:22pm
I am booked into the Country Inn and suites. $108/ nite AAA rate 2 queens.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

1965 GTO
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 7:52pm
When I went to Kenosha in 2014 I got an apartment on AirBnB.com. I just booked the same place again for $64 a night. It's a nice two-room apartment, in the owner's house but with a separate entrance, about a mile from downtown Kenosha. I saw another on AirBnB today that was a private room, within walking distance of downtown, about $80 a night for that one as I recall.

Only thing I am not sure about yet is whether I'll be able to park my trailer there. I didn't have a trailer in 2014. Anyone know whether the organizers have a place where we can park them?

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

5 nights total was 544.74 with all taxes (Boils down to 108.94 per night) split 2 ways it's not bad 55 bucks a night
Dave, after my issues with them cancelling my 1 year reservation 2 weeks before I was leaving, hearing about them ticketing people with trailers and then recently being shut down and reopened I will NEVER stay at that hotel. Hopefully yours works out good but I refuse to give them my hard earned money.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by gtoman_us gtoman_us wrote:

Well, I just spent a LONG time on the phone with Country Inn and the best price they would do was $127/night. They confirmed trailer parking was ok but then they were going to bill my credit card NOW for next years stay! I have never had that before and they only ever billed when you didn't show up as planned without cancelling within their policy. I cancelled my reservation and will look elsewhere.

I'm not paying for a trip a year in advance...it's like somethings telling me not to go to Kenosha :(

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 3:10am
Originally posted by nastynash nastynash wrote:

Tony you could always split a room with Holger

I Snore... like a grizzly in his winter sleep... wont be funny for Tony

Strange, The BW Executive didnt react to me, and sells other ppl rooms to ridiculus prices... Ouch

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 6:02am

Well, I just spent a LONG time on the phone with Country Inn and the best price they would do was $127/night. They confirmed trailer parking was ok but then they were going to bill my credit card NOW for next years stay! I have never had that before and they only ever billed when you didn't show up as planned without cancelling within their policy. I cancelled my reservation and will look elsewhere.

I'm not paying for a trip a year in advance...it's like somethings telling me not to go to Kenosha :(

Tony that is crazy? I have 6 pm cancellation, guarranteed on the card plus later arrival. I booked with the the hotel direct.

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

1965 GTO
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Posted By: Ohio AMX
Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 7:11am
Despite all of the past issues with BW Harborside (our reservations were cancelled last time as well) we decided to give them another shot. After our experience last time in Racine at least we know what to expect. I tried a couple of times to get reservations at the Holiday Inn Express on 50 but was told they wont take any until some time in September. I figured if that's not true, and the place is filling up, I may have trouble finding a room elsewhere. Fingers crossed that everything works out OK this time!

-------------
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 7:25am

Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

Dave, after my issues with them cancelling my 1 year reservation 2 weeks before I was leaving, hearing about them ticketing people with trailers and then recently being shut down and reopened I will NEVER stay at that hotel. Hopefully yours works out good but I refuse to give them my hard earned money.

Tony yes I heard about issues in the past and hopefully they got their renovations out of the way back then. From what I am seeing for prices from other hotels in the area from this post...this hotel was cheaper to boot. I have no trailer so parking will be a non issue. crossing fingers that all goes well with the hotel.

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 8:07am
Hope you Lakefront guys dont bet on a dead horse ....
http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/code_violations_close_lakefront_hotel_488561111.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/code_violations_close_lakefront_hotel_488561111.php

http://www.startribune.com/lakefront-hotel-closed-by-fire-officials-in-kenosha/384711531/" rel="nofollow - http://www.startribune.com/lakefront-hotel-closed-by-fire-officials-in-kenosha/384711531/

(And yes, I have a news alert on Kenosha...)

Maybe Tommy has some more info´s about that issue.

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 10:57am

http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/code_violations_close_lakefront_hotel_488561111.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/code_violations_close_lakefront_hotel_488561111.php

http://www.startribune.com/lakefront-hotel-closed-by-fire-officials-in-kenosha/384711531/" rel="nofollow - http://www.startribune.com/lakefront-hotel-closed-by-fire-officials-in-kenosha/384711531/

Run

-------------
Moderator - Emeritus

1965 GTO
"Flat Roofs are Cool"

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 11:53am
I called a few local hotels.  Hampton Inn is a new one on the interstate close other hotels and the Brat Stop.  Plenty of rooms left $149/night.  262-358-9800.  Another is the holiday Inn Express.  I book a lot of people there for work.  Down the road from the Brat stop.  Close to a lot of restaurants and shopping  ~$200 per night with hardly any bookings yet. 262-942-6000.  Best Western executive inn and country inn are also on the interstate.  Some smaller/cheaper ones around as well.  I can call more.  There are quite a few in the Kenosha area.  Not much for hotels down town but a lot on the interstate (15 minutes from the lakefront).  Any questions on areas to stay I would be glad to help.

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 1:04pm

Run

That's unsettling for sure, I called and spoke to a BW rep and they assured me that they will be open and have all code violations taken care of by next summer. Being a large chain it gives me some comfort knowing their brand is at stake if they do fail. Plus I just read a few current trip advisor reviews from Aug 2016 and all seem to be positive...while one guy said there is some construction going on it was not horrible and mentioned when it's done it will be nicer. 

Gonna keep my reservation and watch at times goes on

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 1:18pm
Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn mentioned no problem cancelling within 24 hours.  May not be a bad idea to book and wait to see if the other opens.  

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 3:55pm
Booked 2 rooms at Country Inn and Suites website @116 a nite AARP.  Just don't tell my brother I used his credit card!  LOL

IIRC I posted last Kenosha get together in 2014 that the hotels are starting to realize how big these shows are and are starting to charge accordingly.  Even the Laquinta we stayed at then was at 85 a nite, up to like 107 now.  Price we have to pay if we want to attend.  For me, personally, it's well worth it.  Just have too much fun when we are there.  Cruise ins, parade, downtown show Friday, big show on Saturday, yea, well worth it.  

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 4:02pm

Booked 2 rooms at Country Inn and Suites website @116 a nite AARP.  Just don't tell my brother I used his credit card!  LOL

IIRC I posted last Kenosha get together in 2014 that the hotels are starting to realize how big these shows are and are starting to charge accordingly.  Even the Laquinta we stayed at then was at 85 a nite, up to like 107 now.  Price we have to pay if we want to attend.  For me, personally, it's well worth it.  Just have too much fun when we are there.  Cruise ins, parade, downtown show Friday, big show on Saturday, yea, well worth it.  
Did they bill your card now or just hold the room with your card?

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 4:30pm

Did they bill your card now or just hold the room with your card?

Credit card holds the room.  Can still cancel up to 6PM on the day we're sheduled to arrive, Wednesday the 26th.  Already received the confirmation e-mail that states the same info.  Did it online on their website, don't know if that is why I had no issues.  You should try it and see what happens.  Don't have to book it all the way thru if it doesn't look right. 

On second thought, don't know if I want you and Lee in the same hotel together.  Long walk to the corner if you run out of beer!   LOL

-------------

Posted By: oldamcer
Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 4:37pm
     Got mine at LaQuinta, $132 a night($30 more than last time)

-------------
40 HudsonCoupe 304/904
33 Essex 315/904
47 Hudson 360/727/TorqueStorm

69 AmboWagon"The Flower Car"

50 StudeGasser360/T-400
74 HornetHatch 304/727
55 Hudson360/904

�

Posted By: scott
Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 4:42pm
My favorite comment from the article about the Worst Western: "I stayed there back in early November. I am not an electrician, but I am pretty sure the wires and wire nuts from the AC/Heater unit are not suppose to be tucked away under  the carpet next to the curtains".

Many years ago I stayed at a motel on the west side of the highway. In addition to renting rooms to the normal travelers, they also rented rooms long term to people. Those people appeared to be crack dealers & meth heads. There was a crowd of degenerates congregated outside a few of the rooms, & a steady stream of customers noisily stopping by late into the night. Fortunately it started to rain hard & that drove them inside.  It might be worth asking if the place you are staying rents rooms by the month, & avoiding places that do.

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 5:59pm
After reading all this, I'm thinking about skipping Kenosha, and just doing Gettysburg. It's easy to miss Chicago, going from Tennessee to Pennsylvania, and a lot closer. There is also more to see.

Date Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

My favorite comment from the article about the Worst Western: "I stayed there back in early November. I am not an electrician, but I am pretty sure the wires and wire nuts from the AC/Heater unit are not suppose to be tucked away under  the carpet next to the curtains".

Many years ago I stayed at a motel on the west side of the highway. In addition to renting rooms to the normal travelers, they also rented rooms long term to people. Those people appeared to be crack dealers & meth heads. There was a crowd of degenerates congregated outside a few of the rooms, & a steady stream of customers noisily stopping by late into the night. Fortunately it started to rain hard & that drove them inside.  It might be worth asking if the place you are staying rents rooms by the month, & avoiding places that do.

Saw that one....I have booked elsewhere and when trip gets closer I will cancel one of the 2 reservations  depending on feeling I get from BW Harborside.

-------------
Dave Goodwin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net