Print Page | Close Window

Early AMX door glass

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Body/Interior
Forum Description: Paint, glass, interior, rust, sheetmetal goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73855
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 5:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Early AMX door glass
Posted By: AMC Okie
Subject: Early AMX door glass
Date Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 9:24pm
Where can you get it? 
Looking to buy project AMX. 
Thinking the door glass would be the hardest thing to find if needed.

I've done a search using "AMX door glass" as search words, all I get is fiberglass and glass remounting issues.

Can you use Javelin glass and have it reground or cut to the right shape?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: sidewinder
Date Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 10:19pm
Replacement glass is available from the commercial vendors like APD ( American Parts Depot) and Kennedy American.   There has been some fitment issues from what I have heard but I have no personal experience with this glass.   Used glass is available ( especially clear glass )   Tinted is MUCH harder to find.   Javelin glass will not work in an AMX.   The 68/69 glass is slightly different than the 70 glass but will work in all 3 years....

Chuck Page

-------------
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Oct/01/2015 at 10:29pm
I tried the repro glass in my 70 and it was a horrible fit. It didn't even stay in the car and found some used stuff instead. The vendor informed me that "this was the first time he had heard of a fitment issue..." LOL

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Oct/02/2015 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

I tried the repro glass in my 70 and it was a horrible fit. It didn't even stay in the car and found some used stuff instead. The vendor informed me that "this was the first time he had heard of a fitment issue..." LOL

Without going into detail as to who the vendor was, what were the fitment issues with the glass? Was it dimensional, length/width/height, or was it something to do with the curvature? Were these the replacements with the holes in the bottom edge for mounting in the channels?

Odd that a company (whoever makes them) that obviously makes automotive glass for a living would have a problem duplicating these relatively simple side windows. I'm assuming no one has had an issue with the replacement windshields...?

Date Posted: Oct/02/2015 at 11:04pm
The big issue was the bottom of the glass, it was flat and should have been curved. This created huge gaps at the door to glass in the middle and looked ridiculous.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Oct/03/2015 at 7:25am
Okay, thanks. I just recently bought this glass from a major AMC vendor, but I haven't got around to fitting it - guess I'll be sending it back now. Very disappointing.

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Oct/03/2015 at 7:30am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

Without going into detail as to who the vendor was, what were the fitment issues with the glass? Was it dimensional, length/width/height, or was it something to do with the curvature? Were these the replacements with the holes in the bottom edge for mounting in the channels?
The one I just installed was not curved enough top to bottom. If you set the glass to the bottom of the shoe so the attaching holes can be used the shoes have to be adjusted too high and hang up on the window fuzzies. Using their directions on shoe depth can also make the up stops unusable. The attaching holes are useless if you set the glass at the original factory depth in the shoes.

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Posted By: CamJam
Date Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 10:46pm
I'm bringing this old thread back to life as I am about to install some side glass.  I just received it and can confirm that the current glass still has slightly less top to bottom curve, but I don't think that should be a problem if you glue the glass into the shoe at a little more of an angle to compensate.  

I can confirm Pit Crew's finding that the holes are useless if you mount the glass to the factory depth.  I haven't glued mine in yet, but I can see that with the glass at the proper depth the holes are right at the top edge of the shoe.  It's not a total waste though as the holes should give the glue a little more "bite" to the glass.

Also, I'm not quite sure what AMXDreamer encountered earlier, but the original glass is flat at the bottom from front to back.  I just checked the one I removed from my car with a yardstick. 

-------------
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Date Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 10:24am
If the curve is wrong how will it match up with the quarter window?? I have never heard of anyone that was happy with the aftermarket glass.  Be interesting how this goes....

Chuck Page

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

If the curve is wrong how will it match up with the quarter window?? I have never heard of anyone that was happy with the aftermarket glass.  Be interesting how this goes....

Chuck Page

I don't think it's enough of a difference to be a problem, but I'll know for sure in a couple days and will update.

-------------

Posted By: target
Date Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 3:52pm
Lay it on top of the one you take out. Then you can see the difference. Then tell and show us.

Date Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by target target wrote:

Lay it on top of the one you take out. Then you can see the difference. Then tell and show us.

Good idea.  I've glued the new glass to the shoes already, but when the epoxy dries I'll lay the old glass on top of it and take a photo.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 5:32pm

The new glass is in the car, and I'm pleased to report that it fits nearly perfectly without any adjustment other than the upper stops, both of which had been removed to get the old glass out of the track.

Here are pictures of the old glass on top of the new. The only place I saw any noticeable difference is seen in the third photo below where the arrow is pointing.  This is the top front corner (top of the "A" pillar) and you can see that the old glass has a little more of an inward dip at that spot.  It doesn't seem to affect to overall fit at all, My glass fits snug against the rubber all the way around.

I also see a little difference at the very bottom running the full length where there isn't quite as much overall vertical "tilt" in the bottom two inches or so of the glass. This can be negated by installing the glass into the shoes with a little more inward tilt.  I was very careful to measure the overall tilt of the glass in relation to the shoes to make sure that the angle of new glass matched the old.  I can see where it would be easy to get the tilt wrong and have a gap at the top that you couldn't adjust out.

First photo is the rear curve, the side that mates to the quarter window.  Old glass is on top.

Second photo is the front curve, the side that mates to the "A" pillar.  I already had the shoes glued to the new glass, so that might make the gap at the bottom (left side of photo) look a little more than it actually was.

This is the top front corner.  The arrow points to where a slight difference in the inward tilt was noted. 

-------------

Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I'm bringing this old thread back to life as I am about to install some side glass.  I just received it and can confirm that the current glass still has slightly less top to bottom curve, but I don't think that should be a problem if you glue the glass into the shoe at a little more of an angle to compensate.  

I can confirm Pit Crew's finding that the holes are useless if you mount the glass to the factory depth.  I haven't glued mine in yet, but I can see that with the glass at the proper depth the holes are right at the top edge of the shoe.  It's not a total waste though as the holes should give the glue a little more "bite" to the glass.

Also, I'm not quite sure what AMXDreamer encountered earlier, but the original glass is flat at the bottom from front to back.  I just checked the one I removed from my car with a yardstick. 
Not true.....there is about a 3/8 in curve from front to back.  REPRO is junk.  Don't waste your time.

-------------
they call me Capt RETIRED!

Date Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

Not true.....there is about a 3/8 in curve from front to back.  REPRO is junk.  Don't waste your time.

Curved at the top, close to flat at the bottom. Did you read my last post? The one I just installed fits fine.

-------------

Posted By: Have2SC's
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 5:50am
Cam,  It seems the newer repop glass is better then in the past.  Installed mine and fitment is ok.  Lee  

-------------
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Have2SC's Have2SC's wrote:

Cam,  It seems the newer repop glass is better then in the past.  Installed mine and fitment is ok.  Lee  

Thanks Lee. Great to know mine isn't just a fluke. I'm very happy with how it fits. The green tint is just a tad darker than the original, but not enough to be noticeable unless you see them side-by-side.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 7:55am
So instead of losing points over scratches you will lose them cause your tint is too dark.

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 8:09am
Thanks for your current updates, Cam. The other posts we've seen more recently suggest the 'first-run' of repro glass didn't fit very well; and that newer ones seem to be better.

On the tint shade, is it possible the original tint has faded a bit? Tinted windshields sure do fade over time.

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 8:17am

So instead of losing points over scratches you will lose them cause your tint is too dark.

Not enough to notice. Why so negative? We finally have some good side glass.

-------------

Posted By: Shannock
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 9:04am
You've been very helpful. Nice work Cam! Thumbs Up

-------------
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 10:10am
You would think that after revising the poor first run glass that someone would have said something about the improvement.  Thanks Paul

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 10:44am
That's great news Cam! I wonder if they have this new glass in clear?

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Thanks for your current updates, Cam. The other posts we've seen more recently suggest the 'first-run' of repro glass didn't fit very well; and that newer ones seem to be better.

On the tint shade, is it possible the original tint has faded a bit? Tinted windshields sure do fade over time.

Thanks, Paul. I wondered that about the tint. I'll try to get a photo that compares the tint with the original glass so people can decide for themselves whether it will work for them.

I did see an example of the "smoke" tint backglass and it was way darker than stock. The green tint is much closer.

-------------

Posted By: Have2SC's
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 11:07am

Tony,  yes that have clear glass.  You can see mine in Auburn.  Lee

-------------
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 11:58am
Just kidding with you cam. You are way too serious, and negative.

Posted By: Dirtydog
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 1:17pm
Somebody said earlier in the post that Javelin glass doesn't fit AMX I have to javelin with glass that I'm saving in case I need them for my AMX the doors are out of a 68 and I have a 69 AMX I always thought they were the same.

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 1:32pm
Javelin glass will not work on an AMX....

Chuck Page

-------------

Posted By: Dirtydog
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 2:00pm
Are the doors the same?

Posted By: amc'snjeep's
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 2:05pm
doors are interchangeable with small differences in 68 doors

-------------
70 javelin bbb 390 4spd sold

70 amx 390 4 spd BBG Shadow mask   
68 american
77 j20 401 66 American convertable 70 BBB AMX 390 Auto

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 2:05pm
yes......where it meets the rear window is different.

-------------

Posted By: 1970390amx
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Dirtydog Dirtydog wrote:

Are the doors the same?

doors are the same, if you look at the javelin door glass where it meets the quarter window it goes straight up, the AMX glass angles slightly forward.

-------------
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 2:30pm

Just kidding with you cam. You are way too serious, and negative.

-------------

Posted By: 69BBB3904spAMX
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 2:30pm
Smile Now for originality, and to not lose points in a close stock Concours judged class, someone needs to reproduce the stencil for etching the "bug" on the glass with the original text that was on the original glass...

-------------
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Smile Now for originality, and to not lose points in a close stock Concours judged class, someone needs to reproduce the stencil for etching the "bug" on the glass with the original text that was on the original glass...

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. On the new glass the brand name and DOT label are in the shoe and covered with glue, so that would make it easy.

-------------

Posted By: mmaher94087
Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 3:27pm
It should be stated that Javelin side glass cannot be cut, ground or sanded to fit an AMX once the glass has been tempered. It will shatter with any attempt to re-cut.

-------------
Mike

Date Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 3:35pm

Yes, as Lee mentioned.  Clear is a few $ less.

It should be noted that I have only installed the LH side glass and have no experience with RH.

-------------

Posted By: Shannock
Date Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 8:51am
Cam, do they make the smoke tinted rear back-light  for the 71-74 javelin? I would like to put that in my car.
Thanks, Tom

-------------
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST

Date Posted: Jun/17/2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Shannock Shannock wrote:

Cam, do they make the smoke tinted rear back-light  for the 71-74 javelin? I would like to put that in my car.
Thanks, Tom

No, Tom. 68-70 only.

-------------

Posted By: AMXpower
Date Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 8:20pm
Which vendor did you get the tinted glass recently that fit well for side doors?  What about 1/4 windows anybody use them in tinted???  

Date Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by AMXpower AMXpower wrote:

Which vendor did you get the tinted glass recently that fit well for side doors?  What about 1/4 windows anybody use them in tinted???  

Galvins.  Kennedy sells the same brand.

I think all the repop qtr glass is tinted, but best to ask.  I have no experience with the qtr glass, just the driver's door and backglass, both of which fit well.

-------------

Posted By: AMXpower
Date Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 8:40pm
Kennedy was the one I was going to buy it from just wanted to make sure, thanks for sending me in the right direction.  It's my winter project.

Posted By: Steve_P
Date Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. On the new glass the brand name and DOT label are in the shoe and covered with glue, so that would make it easy.

What's the bug? The glass is date coded - like almost everything
... the TM info is sandblasted

Date Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 10:24pm
i think he means the PPG name and DOT numbers.  Could easily sandblast that with a spot blaster if I had a stencil.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net