Print Page | Close Window

Rapidair MaxLine compressed air piping system

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Tool Time tool review and eval area
Forum Description: Tool reviews, evaluations and tips only please.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71483
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 5:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rapidair MaxLine compressed air piping system
Posted By: FuzzFace2
Subject: Rapidair MaxLine compressed air piping system
Date Posted: Jul/05/2015 at 7:40pm
Last April the wife and I move from CT to N.C. and with it I got a much needed larger garage. It measures about 38’x24’ and has a work shop/storage area of 12’x24’ making the building about 50’ wide x 24’deep. I have my trailer, Gremlin & Javelin in there and can work on the Javelin.

The Garage/shop did not have enough power to run anything other than the 3 - 8’ lights, 2 in garage 1 in shop so had the power upgraded, more lights added, 8 – 8’ 4 bulb lights in the garage, more outlets and wired up my Snap On Big Red air compressor I brought with me and piped in my homemade air dryer.

Because the compressor is at the other end of the garage and did not want a mile of hose to trip over I bought 2 kits (cheaper then 1 kit, 100’ of pipe and the fittings I would need for the job) & fittings made just for compressed air. It is ¾” pipe & fittings. I also bought a 1” regulator, it was less $ than the ¾” one, as the max psi on the piping is 175 psi@75* / 140 psi@140* my system shuts off @175 and it gets HOT in that garage so will cut back the psi some.

I ran a piping loop all the way around at the top of the walls using 90* in the 4 corners and Tees at the 5 air hose drops (1 in each garage bay, 1 at each side of garage, and last 1 at front between each bay to be used outside if needed) and 1 Tee from the dryer to the loop.
It would help if you had an extra hand as I did not, to help unroll the coil of piping to get & keep it straight and to help to measure it; I used Velcro around pipe and tape measure to hold it on the end for the longer runs. Also the kit said to use holder/clamps every 5’ but found it best to do every 3’ after the 2’ I came in from each corner. I also found to use a little grease on the threads of the compression fittings when tightening to get the ¾ turn after hand tight. Other than that pretty easy to install. Other than a test psi of 120 so far all looks to be good and no leaks but did not spend much time after I had the 120 psi on it.

Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Replies:
Posted By: ttrrogg
Date Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 6:17am
Nice job, always wonder how that stuff was and how expensive it is

-------------
1970 Big Bad Blue javelin sst

Posted By: target
Date Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 8:46am
That's great Dave and so happy for you to finally have a nice shop to work in. I am in western nc. Wish we were closer together. I need an amc buddy to play with.

Date Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 9:18am
Thanks guys. Sorry I should have posted a link to where I got it from.
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/
link to the kit
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/tools/air-compressor-air-delivery-systems.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/tools/air-compressor-air-delivery-systems.html

It was a lot cheaper than Amazon even as a prime member.
As I pointed out I bought 2 kits as 1 did not have enough piping and I needed more fittings than the 1 kit came with. When I priced it out for 100' pipe only it was more then a kit so a second kit it was plus some extra fittings to complete the job.

With drops in the back of each bay, 1 between the bays up front and 1 on ether side should be more then enough as 1 in the back & 1 side I will not use as my trailer is stored there and can get to them.

As for close to have a AMC buddy sorry. There is a member I think from Franklin NC. IIRC that is north/west would he be close?
I had a guy stop by with a Gremlin on his way home from a show when I first moved in I should drop him a line to see how he is doing.

Kills me with all this nice weather, not like back in CT, and I don't have anything that I can drive or take to a show and why I am getting the garage up & running.

Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Posted By: target
Date Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 10:47am
Yes. I am about 40 miles west of franklin.

Posted By: 2AMCKIDZ
Date Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 5:56pm
I am looking into running air from my house to a shed .Do you know if you can run this underground ?(100ft.)
Joe

-------------
1969 AMX
1971 Gremlin

Posted By: gtpower
Date Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 9:27pm
I used the same stuff in my shop.  I looped it up and down on the wall to give the moisture more area to cool and condense.  I put my drains and outlets at the low points.  I have used this system for painting and media blasting and have had no moisture issues,

-------------
1968 AMX 390 4speed

Date Posted: Jul/07/2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by 2AMCKIDZ 2AMCKIDZ wrote:

I am looking into running air from my house to a shed .Do you know if you can run this underground ?(100ft.)
Joe
I don't see why you cant as it is plastic lined (inside & outside) alum. pipe. Only thing is if under ground and it is the lowest point water will collect there and you will have no way to remove it. Also come winter that water would freeze and my not get any air thru.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Jul/07/2015 at 12:44am
GTpower that is nice. old garage I did not have the wall space and why I did the fin tube for cooling and used it in the new garage.
If you also see the close up of one of the drops I add a 6" pipe at the bottom as a drip leg.
Come paint time I will get a filter/dryer assy. and plug it in to one of the drops like the hose and then the hose into it. Will only be used for painting.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Jul/07/2015 at 12:25pm
Dave,
Your installation will work very well.  The main thing (and a lot of folks don't think about this) is you need the length of run to let  the air cool so that the water can condense out and the size of line will give you the CFM that your compressor is putting out.  I still plan on tying in my older compressor to give me more CFM, but so far I really haven't needed it.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 4speed

Posted By: Jonnycopco
Date Posted: Aug/02/2015 at 12:04pm
If your experiencing condensation in your air line, consider a refrigerated air dryer. You can find these priced fairly descent, and it should resolve any condensation in the lines, and save you money and a great deal of frustration.

Date Posted: Aug/16/2015 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Jonnycopco Jonnycopco wrote:

If your experiencing condensation in your air line, consider a refrigerated air dryer. You can find these priced fairly descent, and it should resolve any condensation in the lines, and save you money and a great deal of frustration.
It is 1 thing if you are using the air to run a business and another if using it as a hobby like most of us are if refrigeration is the way to go or not. Also they are not as cheap as you make it out to be and yes I did look into it. Just like the compressor you need to size the drier for the CFM being used otherwise you will still have wet air.

I have not really put my system under a lot of load yet but so far I have not seen any water at any of the drip legs only at the tank that I drain before each use. I will post back when I use it more.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Posted By: amxron
Date Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 11:57pm
For real good info go to
http://www.tptools.com" rel="nofollow - www.tptools.com

Ron.

-------------
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787

Date Posted: Sep/16/2017 at 1:25pm
Wow guess it's been a little bit ;)
So an update:
Got to say the whole air system works great. I have only had a little water at the fin tube "air dryer" none at any of the line drops and I use only 1 most of the time. The one up front between the 2 bays.

I have used air on a 81 F100 Ford PU I am doing a frame off rebuild on.

Where I am at now

So between metal work, body work with air grinder & sanders and spray painting the fire wall, door jambs and inside of cab it has been worked hard.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Sep/16/2017 at 8:04pm
Dave, Great looking work and glad to hear how well your system is working!  Max line is super stuff and you did a very nice installation that will serve you well for years to come.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 4speed

Date Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 6:45am
Thanks on both the work done & air line.
With the air system I wanted something that would last.
Nothing like getting part way thru a job and having the system fail.

I am vary happy the way it turned out and works. With just me using the air the system is over kill but you know what they say......
Go big or go home! LOL
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Posted By: brownspirit
Date Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 9:42pm
Dave, I hope everything is going well down south for you and the family, it certainly appears to be. I think I'm probably not alone when I say that I'd love to see more pictures of the project. It looks cool for sure. Andy

-------------
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4

Date Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 10:58am
It has been a bit since I checked in here.
I do check every few weeks to see if anyone left a PM but the job keeps me busy so much so I am not in the garage like I want.

If you want to see more pictures of the truck here is a link to me site where I post them from.
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100" rel="nofollow - http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100

On the bed the factory short bed flare side has a wood floor that was nothing left of and too much money to put back to stock.
Using my parts truck long bed metal floor I made it work in place of the wood and look factory stock.
I also added duel fuel tanks, from the parts truck, that was never an option on the flare side.
Truck is almost ready for paint taken 7/4/18
Once it is back on the road I will be getting back on my 70 Javelin
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Posted By: LouB
Date Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 10:12am
I also installed the rapidair line system.  Works very well for me!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net