Print Page | Close Window

Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Body/Interior
Forum Description: Paint, glass, interior, rust, sheetmetal goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68507
Printed Date: Mar/29/2024 at 1:45am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares
Posted By: garsod
Subject: Repro Spirit Concord AMX Gremlin GT Flares
Date Posted: Mar/21/2015 at 7:56pm
Lets start the discussion about reproducing the flares for the 1979-1980 Spirit AMX and the front flares for the Gremlin GT and Concord AMX.  There is a minimum of 12 sets to get this process off the ground at $650.00 per set that equals 7800.00. Then there will be about a $20.00 Packaging fee per set plus I would estimate $40.0-90.00 shipping from Ohio. Rough guess per person shipped would be about $730.00 per set. There have been some discussions about Kick Starter being used to get this funded, I have no idea about that but would be interested to learn and front a set or two. Who wants to look into this and report back?

The best news is that I have a set(4) of NOS flares that I am purchasing and should have in a week or two that I will be willing to send to Mirror Image to make the molds from.

I know that there are a couple of concerns that have been brought up about making sure that they fit correctly being that the material will be stiffer than OEM. That will have to be reviewed with Mirror Image and I'm sure a solution can be found.

SO WHO IS IN????????

I'm in for 2 sets that leaves 10 others to commit.

Questions? Comment?

Let see if we can make this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Garson

Replies:
Posted By: 83GT
Date Posted: Mar/22/2015 at 4:05am
Originally posted by garsod garsod wrote:

SO WHO IS IN????????

I'm in, I'm definitely in.

-------------
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around

Posted By: SPIRITAMX79
Date Posted: Mar/22/2015 at 7:37am
Count me in!

Regarding Kickstarter, I have been looking into this and I believe this is the way to go. But to put this project in place we need an exact cost per set (packed up and shipped). This way we know exactly how much to set the "funding goal" at. We wouldn't want to meet the goal and then realize we underestimated, because the person who started the project will have to cover the difference. Also, since this will be a public project, there is the chance that more than just our community here on the forum will pledge, possibly resulting in surpassing the goal. I doubt that will happen because so few people even know these cars exist, let alone own them, but that being said, it is possible that more than just us will pledge, meaning Mirror Image will have to make and ship more flares than anticipated. But I'm sure that would be no problem, as it's such a niche car. It's not like thousands of people will be pledging. Kickstarter does take a 5% cut of a successfully funded project, and 3%per pledge over ten dollars. Usually with other Kickstarter projects that the creator is pitching to the whole world, they offer different "tiers" of pledge packages to attract more people. For example, just say I create the Fender Flare project. Tier 1 could be any pledge amount under the cost of the actual flares. This allows for other people to pledge a little bit here and there just to help the cause with no reward other than helping a brother out. Tier 2 would be the 700 or 800 dollars (whatever the final cost). If project is successful, your reward is the flares and you get charged only after goal is met. And Tier 3 could be like a few dollars more, say 25 or 30 and you get, say a custom "AMX" t shirt or something exclusive like that. I'm just trying to paint a picture here of how it works. I'm sure everyone here will just pay for their flares and that would be enough.

What do you think?

Date Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 8:40pm
Thanks for the information on Kickstarter. I am open to this type of project. I spoke with Mirror Image and asked about the flares fitting correctly due to being molded off the vehicle. He stated that he has a Spirit that he can use to mount them on for casting. The will ensure the flares fit correctly.

I'm concerned that there is not enough interest to make this happen.

Kickstarter appears to be a great option. I'm open to having the purchasing of these available to who ever wants one. If there is someone willing to get that started I will help.

Dave

Date Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 1:25pm
Check is in the mail for 4 NOS flares.  How do we get more interest for this project? Dave

Date Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 2:07pm
Great news. That must have cost a small fortune! I'm possibly willing to start the project on Kickstarter. I will be PMing you soon to get some info. I would imagine anyone who ordered the spoiler would also want the flares, even if they already have them on their car, it would be good to have the nicer new ones in a matching better than factory material. Also, if the molds are made, you could rest easy knowing if anything happens to your precious flares, you don't have to sell your soul to get a replacement. Let's get this going people!

Date Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 1:51pm
The UPS fairy just showed up today with a big box!! The flares have arrived and I will be unboxing them later today. Pictures will follow!!!!!!!! 

Date Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 3:23pm
Here they are and they are as good as I could have ever imagined!!!!!!!!!!!  They will need some clean up as they have bumps and scratches from being around for 30 years. I have spoken with Mirror Image and there is a second option to get them created. Vacuum forming is an option that he is able to provide and thinks that there would be a considerable savings over the low pressure two part molding process like we did for the front spoilers.  The outside would be a perfect reproduction of the flare however the inside would not be an exact match with vacuum forming. He stated that the material used for Vacuum forming can be up to a 1/4 inch thick and remain flexible. John has the pictures and will get back to me next week with his ideas of manufacture type and pricing.  What are your thoughts forum members?

Date Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 5:27pm
Excellent! Did you sell your soul to the devil for these?!? Good find! Mirror Image knows their stuff so I'm sure they will come up with the best possible method for making these. That being said, I was very happy with the material and the thickness of the front spoiler and was hoping the flares would be of the same specs so they would match up perfectly. Either way, I'm glad progress is being made :)

Date Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 5:54pm
Luckily I was able to purchase these for a very fare price and I was able to keep what is left of my soul. I hope that this project can move forward. Next week we should have all the details we need to put together the final cost of them and see about starting a Kickstarter campaign.

Date Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 8:59pm
Its great to see progress on this!!  I have to agree with SPIRITAMX79, I'm with whatever MI recommends but would also like them to "Mirror" the spoiler for material and thickness.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/22/2015 at 1:34am
Time to get serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mirror Image responded and does think the same process for the front spoiler is the correct application for the flares. It will cost me personally over $100.00 plus another $100.00 to ship the flares to Mirror Image and back just to get a hard quote. 

Who is really in? We are logistically looking at needing to sell 12!!!! sets at about $750.00 shipped for four flares.  

I will also be putting this in the for sale section to get more attention. 

Who is in????

Dave G. 

Date Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 12:45pm
Sweet! Would've replied sooner but I haven't been getting email notifications about activity on the forums for some reason. But yes, LETS GET SERIOUS!

Posted By: uncljohn
Date Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 8:30pm
The 1980 AMX I have, the flares are flexible. So that pretty much says if body lines are not exact, that is not a problem as they are molded to the fenders using double sided tape. Now granted, the car has had one repaint. Which may be the reason why. But body conformity is not exact using 1980 manufacturing so it makes sense to me that the flares should be flexible The Eagle flares are too.
The front air dam, recently purchased due to the efforts of a forum member I am quite pleased with. It however is not flexible as far as the material goes. I do not see that as a particular problem at the moment. However, the air dam is something prone to damage and it seems to be both repairable and also capable of pretty much fitting with out much of a problem. But if those flares do not conform to the side of the car it would look pretty tacky. At least in my opinion.
While it might be nice to have a set, at the price wanted, which is not unreasonable, just expensive, something that may not fit is not terribly desirable. '

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam

Date Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 9:37pm
Hello John,
I'm the same guy that did the front spoiler and I appreciate the feedback. I spoke with John at Mirror Image and he will have a spirit to test fit and verify that the repro flares fit. I will also test fit them on mine as well to make sure they fit correctly. Unfortunately we are many many set of flares away from meeting the goal of 12 sets. Maybe a Kickstarter campaign can make it happen. Spread the word and let's see if there is enough interest to do this.
Dave

Posted By: shelbycoleman
Date Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 6:24am
Dave, nice to see your projects are going well. Here is a tip, if you stack the flares and wrap then in cardboard the shipping will be alot lower. UPS and Fed Ex only charge for box space. So taking the box away makes the shipping measurements smaller = lower shipping. I shipped a set last year from OH. to Or.  for $51.50. They arrived in perfect condition. Just a thought on keeping cost down, Shelby

Date Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 7:12am
What is the possibility that the material could be changed to something more flexible? Of course that assumes it needs to be more flexible. Granted that is just an opinion on my part but at least from where I sit? A reasonable opinion.

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration

Posted By: POS #1
Date Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 7:29am
I will be in. 

Date Posted: Apr/29/2015 at 8:51pm
The other material that they have will not resist the heat. The thermoforming will not create an exact inner and outer flare. 

Thank you for the shipping idea Shelby I will try that next time.

We have about 5 sets spoken for, still need 7 more. 

Dave

Date Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 1:12am
[QUOTE=garsod]The other material that they have will not resist the heat. The thermoforming will not create an exact inner and outer flare. We have about 5 sets spoken for, still need 7 more. QUOTE]

That makes good sense, but still it is the inner flare that needs to conform to the body curves and as that can be a variable when doing body work, it appeared to be resolved by attaching flexible flares to the body by utilizing a double sided tape.
Thus the OEM flares would then flex to conform to the existing shape of the body curves.
Granted for my example, a 1980 that had been repainted, thus the attaching method may not have been OEM, although it appeared to be, a rigid flare would leave unacceptable gaps when installed if the body curves did not conform to the configuration of the flare as produced. Whether that is a problem or not, I perceive it as one that needs to be at least evaluated as to the potential it may have.
Thus inquiring minds need a satisfied answer before a commitment would be made.
Again, I might be over thinking things though but I have had to deal with fit and finish before.
I am installing a fiberglass hood scoop at the present which is giving me minor fits in finish and that seems to be easier to fit as the scoop can be blended into the hood. The flares lie on top of the body panels.

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration

Date Posted: Apr/30/2015 at 3:43pm
John, 

Not sure that I will be able to give you more than I have regarding fit. The flares will be test fitted on a car prior to the first product being sent to buyers just like the spoiler was. The front spoiler by design was reinforced to make it sturdier that the OEM piece. The flares will be inherently more flexible due to their design. I'm currently working on finding the flare welt or a suitable alternative so that they will fit as good if not better than OEM. 

Dave

Posted By: jjwbeach
Date Posted: Sep/23/2015 at 10:26pm
Any news on the Spirit flares and air dam repops?

Posted By: Peter Marano
Date Posted: Sep/23/2015 at 10:47pm
I think a Toyota truck with wheel fairings used the same welt.

Posted By: 1970390amx
Date Posted: Sep/23/2015 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by jjwbeach jjwbeach wrote:

Any news on the Spirit flares and air dam repops?

send garsod a PM, the air dam is completed and available for sale. I dont think there was enough interest in the wheel flairs to move forward. 

-------------
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box

Date Posted: Sep/23/2015 at 11:50pm
JJ, 1970 is correct, there was not enough interest in the flares to be done. If you want to reach out to Mirror Image Plastics and see if they have any left. I still have the NOS flares if there is any interest.

Date Posted: Sep/24/2015 at 6:57am
Thank you very much, I would be in for a set or two for sure if it is still viable.

Date Posted: Sep/24/2015 at 7:00am
I have a 79 Spirit AMX H code car and the flares and air dam are cracked so bad that 
we can't fix them any more. I will reach out to them and see what's up. Thanks again.

Date Posted: Sep/24/2015 at 8:43am
I hope you have success with finding the flares. I'm up for 2 sets as well and you are up for two than we only need to have 8 more sets confirmed to start the process. Who's in?

Date Posted: Sep/25/2015 at 8:08am
I'm in for a set! Maybe 2. But definitely 1.

Date Posted: Sep/28/2015 at 10:39am
With the new interest in the flares being reproduced I reached out to Mirror Image to verify that they can still do the flares. There appears to be about 6 sets that are spoken for out of the 12 that are needed to be purchased initially. Basic price appears to be around $700.00 plus or minus for shipping.
12 sets at $700.00 is $8,400.00. If there are 6 sets presold at $700.00 that equals $4200.00 so there needs to be either a front person for the $4,200.00 or we need more presold to cover the start up. I'm including myself in for 2 sets for my car and would be willing to buy 1 or two more to move the project forward. That is a $2800.00 commitment to make this happen on my part. The full $8,400 has to be raised before production can start and I just cannot swing it on my own.

Any ideas or thoughts to help make this happen please feel free to comment. I think it would be a major boost to the value of these models to have these available.

Thanks,

Dave Garson

Date Posted: Sep/28/2015 at 5:48pm
I will ask around out area and AMC owners. I am definitely in for 2 sets. By the way, how do I post photos of my Spirit?

Date Posted: Sep/28/2015 at 8:08pm
if you go into the help section there are detailed instructions on inserting photos. Also there is a 30 post minimum prior to adding photos directly through the forum. 
Lets hope more people are interested in the flares.
Dave

Date Posted: Sep/28/2015 at 8:56pm
Do you know if anyone reproduces the front air dam?

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:02am
I am still in for a couple sets of flares!

-------------
1970 AMX BBG X-code 390, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54
1979 Spirit AMX H-code('71 amc blue), 401, A/C, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54
1970 BBO AMX 4 speed, A/C, Tilt, original needs restoring

Posted By: greasygt III
Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 4:45pm
    Alright I see 30 posts so start posting photos of that Spirit.

-------------
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:09pm
I have tried, but I can't seem to figure it out. I will try in this post.

-------------
1979 Spirit AMX H-code('71 amc blue), 401, A/C, amc turbo 400 auto, model 20 3:54

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:11pm

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:13pm

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:15pm

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:17pm

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:18pm

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:21pm

-------------

Posted By: Traveller
Date Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 10:27pm
Now THAT is a good looking Spirit.   Really clean look to it.   I like it!

Posted By: maximus7001
Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 6:34am
What are the 2 dots on the bumper?

-------------
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 7:40am
That is a nice looking car. It reminded me of my 16 years and 50,000 miles ago. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine. Happy motoring!

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 7:53am
Back up lights.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 7:55am
Thanks, color is 1971 AMC blue, interior seats are out of Honda, but am looking to change those. I have newer and cleaner door panels to install too and a dual inlet air cleaner to put on too. All AMC and true H code Spirit AMX. Started out white with blue interior. Hauls rear end with little 401!

-------------

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 8:14am
Originally posted by jjwbeach jjwbeach wrote:

Thanks, color is 1971 AMC blue, interior seats are out of Honda, but am looking to change those. I have newer and cleaner door panels to install too and a dual inlet air cleaner to put on too. All AMC and true H code Spirit AMX. Started out white with blue interior. Hauls rear end with little 401!

I was going to point out the color looks similar to my 71, Electric Blue. Though mine has faded a lot through the years, and only the back side of the trunk lid, and in engine compartment shows its true color.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 10:00am
Looks great!! The rear lights, how did you get the backup lights red?
The lack of wires in the engine compartment looks so clean!

Posted By: greasygt III
Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 11:32am
    Very nice car. I too like the tail lights.

-------------
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 12:30pm
Check the side marker lights too! I will get better photos of both in evening with lights on and post later this week!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 12:34pm
Dave Basa up in Ocala hide all the wires etc under fenders etc. Battery is in the back too. Dave did the rear lights and market lights too with special lens colors.

-------------

Posted By: AMXRWB
Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 4:56pm
Very nice AMX.

Posted By: AMC instigator
Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 9:22pm
The 79 AMX looks very nice in the blue. Nice car. I just want to mention some flare info. Original flares were installed with the body welt stapled to the back side of the flare. They were not installed with 2 face tape, and they fit pretty well due to the pressure created by fastening them to the wheel lip. There is always a little gap right behind the front bumper, half way up the fender. It pushes out due to the body line. The welting used on the Toyota Tacomas as Pete has mentioned is not exact, but a very close replacement. The best I've seen yet.  I would suggest before getting the flares copied, they be clamped at least if you don't want to screw them, to a car for a few weeks to allow them to conform. Left sitting upside down, or layed out face down they tend to warp away in the arc. I have resolved to using blocking and blankets  to keep mine nice when off the car. Hopefully you will get some more orders in the future, good flares have been an issue for many while fixing the 79-80 AMX's.

-------------
AMC RACES event coordinator
Former NAMDRA Vice President-
NAMDRA-#2398
AMO-#8370
Northstar AMC Club-#9

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 9:41pm
I would love to have them reproduced. Still not enough takers for the pre-orders. If there is anyone that is interested and has not spoken up please do so. If you read through the post we a few sets away from getting the required number.
Dave

Date Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 9:43pm
Thanks for the info, I would buy some NOS ones but haven't found any in the 6 years since I have 
owned this car. I actually had it painted once by someone in Lake City Florida who did a horrible job 
so I had it redone by Mike Therbers nephew in Ringgold Georgia and did a fantastic job, as they are 
AMC thru and thru. Mike painted my 70 AMX 15 years ago and it still looks wet! Anyway, I couldn't 
find many NOS parts or new parts, so Dave Basa and I improvised. The flares were in okay shape, 
but if we can get some repops that are at least workable, I would really feel lucky, and I know others 
would also, just need to get some sets made and try them out! I know AMC folks who just do away with 
all the flares totally, but then the cars look a little not finished, for lack of better words. Thanks for the tips 
and I hope some more folks step up to get some repops made.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 1:02pm
I like it too!!  Makes me want to get my '79 on the road!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 8:53pm
I have two 1980 Spirit based cars. One actually is a 1980 AMX and it can best be described as a survivor and as such it points out the flaws in the material used for the flares and the body kit or air dam. The car had ben cosmetically gone through in 1993 apparently and the flares are held on the car with double sided tape that apparently was designed for the purpose but they do not "hug" and conform to the body. They are in pretty good shape but the fit frankly is lousy but acceptable. When the car was painted reproduction decals and striping also was not available so the OEM style was mimicked according to the ability of the source, a snow mobile dealer in Canada at the time and owner preference. The vehicle lives out doors in a car cover and is lovingly cared for but shows it's age. The problems are the rubber or plastic materials used at the time and their exposure to U.V. from the sun and the heat here in the desert which routinely hits triple digits 1/3 of the year.
The front air dam has been slightly damaged but repaired. One has to be careful of concrete parking barriers. Also interior plastic pieces are prone to disintegration. To my way of thinking it is a hard car to do a restoration to that will last in any kind of "show" condition. But they are in all other aspects a delightful car to own and drive. Provided of course you can be happy with the I-6 performance in OEM tune. And I can.
The second car is a Spirit and does not have the AMX cosmetics except for the rear spoiler. I actually like it better with out the flares which also limit tire size, but with the right sized tires, one does not actually miss the flare the bulge of the wheel opening accents the tire and the look.
The rubber bumper parts are damaged from the sun and the UV and I am unable to get replacements any more. I have yet to see reproductions and while I have twice attempted to I have not been able to replicate the bumper extensions in fiberglass. As to the car, it too is an I-6 car with an automatic but the engine has been modified to about 180Hp and it will run more than adequate on the open road. That car has been a daily driver for 15 years and shows the wear and tear one would expect it to show. It has been a good car. It needs to be restored again.
I have purchased for the AMX enough replacement parts to put it back together if it was damaged including one of the recent front air dams. They were well done. I have a full set of Phoenix Graphics decals for the car, the only think lacking is replacement fender flares, but at the last estimate of cost close to almost $1000.00 for them, my budget does not go that far. I hope the ones on the car do not get damaged.
The 80 AMX I have is one of the rare "Base" model versions so there are some cosmetic differences and in addition it apparently had some parts added to it by the dealer when it was sold. The gauge package and consul has been added also other than that it has been maintained.

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration

Posted By: macdude443
Date Posted: Jan/12/2016 at 2:13pm
If replicating these is possible, would it also be possible to replicate SX/4/Kammback bumper end caps using the same process.  The only difference would probably be the embedding of the metal brackets and mounting studs.  I know a ton of owners would love new sets, including myself.

-------------
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Posted By: racerkilla
Date Posted: Jan/12/2016 at 5:55pm
If the flares done right they would fit the body nicely. The ones on my 79 amx fit with almost zero gap. No felting or double side tape holding them either.

Tried to show flare fitment. They take a bit of adjusting and time to get right.
http://s567.photobucket.com/user/racerkilla/media/1979%20amx%20white/IMG_2171_zpsi1vxyb82.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
http://s567.photobucket.com/user/racerkilla/media/1979%20amx%20white/IMG_2176_zps0l6djpbs.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
http://s567.photobucket.com/user/racerkilla/media/1979%20amx%20white/IMG_2152_zpsoncbsyl8.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jan/13/2016 at 1:57am
Originally posted by macdude443 macdude443 wrote:

If replicating these is possible, would it also be possible to replicate SX/4/Kammback bumper end caps using the same process.  The only difference would probably be the embedding of the metal brackets and mounting studs.  I know a ton of owners would love new sets, including myself.

At this point in time I would take almost any endcap for the bumpers I can find that are not rotted. I have gone through in the last 10 years about 4 sets of endcaps pulled off of pickApart cars in wrecking yeards. However being rubber they do flex and warp as a function of time. I have tried to purchase them from people who have bumpers for sale, but because rust pretty much makes the mounting hardware impossible to remove with out damaging the hard ware, they would not sell them and frankly on a finished car I am not willing to pay shipping for a bumper I need to re-finish to use the end caps. I know some people may have gotten a flare to fit well, but I have yet to see an OEM car that is 30+ year old have anything but miss fitting flares. And as they are also flexible and affected by UV damage and originally were not body colored but a black rubber add on painting them is an owner option. Again a part that flexes and distorts as a function of time.
Fit from a flexible part is an iffy proposition. And damage to the same part is an environmental issue.
That on the car in my driveway is something that at the present I am not in the position to afford the reproduction option at the present and will have to work with what I have. I can say that routinely in my area those AMX's that I see they are either missing due to damage, or a poor fit at best.
Which is really too bad simply because the car itself is rather unique and a very nice driver.
Making a hot rod out of one is often done as OEM they are a low performance OEM vehicle so that too is a decision that has to be made by a current owner.
One has to consider the collector value at this point in time too. IF there is any it is usually OEM configuration and the Spirit based cars either had a 2bbl 304 v8 or the corporate 258 I6 engine except for 80 where the V8 was not an option. But they did have a BASE model that year. A one year only configuration.

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration

Posted By: racerkilla
Date Posted: Jan/13/2016 at 4:18pm
Maybe its from the sun or uv light from Arizona but I have a 79 red amx I had bought from ohio.. Original faded paint still and the flares fit the car perfect with close to no gap. They still have the welting and never unbolted from the car.  Fit just as nice as the ones on my white amx in previous pictures.

Now my black amx had come from flordia 10 years agao. Those flares are very brittle and hard. They fit but with some gaps here and there.

I wonder if the 79s held up better since they were painted the body color unlike the 80's where they were all black

Date Posted: Jan/13/2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by racerkilla racerkilla wrote:

Maybe its from the sun or uv light from Arizona but I have a 79 red amx I had bought from ohio.. Original faded paint still and the flares fit the car perfect with close to no gap. They still have the welting and never unbolted from the car.  Fit just as nice as the ones on my white amx in previous pictures.

Now my black amx had come from flordia 10 years agao. Those flares are very brittle and hard. They fit but with some gaps here and there.

I wonder if the 79s held up better since they were painted the body color unlike the 80's where they were all black

Don't know, there are not that many Spirit Based AMX's around, those that for what ever reason are well cared for may be in better condition. However those that I have seen that appeared as if they had been painted early in their life and had the flare panted, the flares were dry and rotted with pieces chipping out of them. And many of the others are just rough. Environmental conditions can and do affect rubber.
Dashboards here in Arizona are brittle and will crack into pieces at the slightest touch. To restore two Hornets I am working on I have had to locate dashboards and rubber fill pieces between the bumper and bodies in states that are predominately known for their winters and as mentioned I have gone through three sets of rubber end caps on my Spirit and I am all out. They are no longer in Pick A Part yards. I also have a Saturn, sold for it's use of plastic that I am afraid to touch many area's in the car for fear of breaking things. Parts made with rubbers and plastics do not fair well in this environment, a bit like metal parts don't last long around road salt.

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration

Date Posted: Jun/03/2016 at 12:54am
Thought I would try again and see if there is enough interest from the forum for these flares to be reproduced? I hope to get my Spirit painted in the next year and these NOS flares will go on it and will not be available to be used for molds. 
Thanks,

Dave 

Date Posted: Jun/03/2016 at 7:20am
I forgot but how much would a set cost?
Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/03/2016 at 1:55pm
Gorgeous Spirit AMX!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/03/2016 at 2:02pm
I'm in for 3 full sets! And if you know of a ouple air damns to go along with them, that would be nice too!

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/03/2016 at 10:43pm
The flares last checked would be about $750.00 shipped.

Looks like if the original members who stated they wanted them previously we are close to having enough.

If you wouldn't mind please respond again and let me know how many you would like and i will contact Mirror Image to verify they are still interested in producing these.

Fyi: the spoilers are for sale by the AMC vendors.

Thanks everyone.

Dave

Date Posted: Jun/05/2016 at 7:53pm
I am in for 3 complete sets! Thanks for remembering me too!

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/05/2016 at 8:19pm
So far only 5 sets spoken for. Need 7 more sets before we can move forward.

Dave

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Jun/06/2016 at 10:49am
I know someone who is looking for a set and I am trying hard to get him to respond directly to you. He does not get on the forum very often but I will stir him up one more time.

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Nov/22/2016 at 11:09pm
Hello all, 

I was asked by Mirror Image if there was any interest in the flares being reproduced. I stated that I would reach out again and see if there was enough interest. 

Who is interested? 20 sets at about 450.00 plus shipping is what its going to take to get this off the ground. I'm in for 2 sets maybe three, that leaves 17 sets available. 

Thoughts? 

Dave 

Date Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 1:33am
How flexible would the end result be? Based on what I have seen over the years including my own cars), a rigid product would not lay down over the body if for no other reason than fit and finish of cars of that era were not good enough to work with a rigid product thus flexibility was a key issue in getting a fairly good fit.
I purchased a front spoiler which looks to be a 1st class piece of equipment but frankly purchased it as insurance should something unfortunate took place with my OEM 1980 Vehicle. This would be the issue for the fender flares also.

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration

Posted By: Budwisr
Date Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 6:10am
I would be a buyer at $450 for one set. Bud Brick

-------------

1970 AMX 1980 AMX
<br

Posted By: 401harry
Date Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 6:19am
Most Trans Am repro are fiberglass to replace the early plastic and later urethane type. I believe AMC used the urethane more to lessen the chance of breaking or cracking on the fender edges on light impacts than to conform to the body lines of the car. I would think a good casting of semi rigid material would work fine with some generic welting to fill any gaps

Date Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 9:09am
I'm in for 2 sets for certain.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 10:33am
The material would be the same as the front spoiler, semi ridged so it would hold its shape. The pieces would be mounted to a vehicle before peeping for the molds to ensure they have the best chance at fitting properly. With The gap welting and some finegeling in sure that they will fit as well as OEM. So far about 7 sets spoken for.

Posted By: AMCsavers
Date Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 11:22am
I would be in for a set at that price.

-------------
Nashes, AMCS, Ramblers and Jeeps. Even a few Fords, Mopars, and GM!

Forget the Whales, Save the Ramblers!

**Always looking for 78 AMX cars and parts!**

Date Posted: Jan/22/2017 at 6:19pm
I will take 4 sets at $450 per set!

-------------

Posted By: 401harry
Date Posted: Jan/22/2017 at 6:37pm
I have bought a couple decent used sets but would also be good for 1 set of the repros

Date Posted: Jan/22/2017 at 7:02pm
Thanks for the interest everyone. We are still short by a several sets. Current count is 9 spoken for. I would love for this to happen however cannot fund 10 more sets. Anyone want to invest in extra sets to make this happen? I did it with the spoilers and was able to sell all of them and made my money back. Thoughts?

Date Posted: Jan/22/2017 at 8:41pm
How much was it for a full set of flares and front spoiler when you did it? Just curious!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/23/2017 at 10:18pm
jjwbeach: I haven't done the flares before only the spoiler. I never did a quote for all of them, spoilers are now sold by the AMC part vendors.

Date Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 10:03pm
I am still in!

-------------

Posted By: 23baseball3
Date Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 9:22pm
I would be in for a set!

-------------
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R

Date Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 3:08pm
i still have my 79, so im still in too

Posted By: cosa
Date Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 10:20am
I need one set my -79 AMX Handshake

Date Posted: Sep/07/2017 at 2:42pm
Is that topic idea death?

Date Posted: Sep/07/2017 at 3:34pm
Still waiting for enough people to do the buy in.

Date Posted: Sep/08/2017 at 10:58am

Still waiting for enough people to do the buy in.
How many on the list right now?

Date Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 6:54pm
Looks like about 11 sets at $450.00 per set of 4.
If we doubled the set to $800.00 we would have enough for the initial batch.
I'm willing to spend $800.00 on flares.
This is of course as long as Mirror Image is still interested in producing them.
Thoughts?

Posted By: amcenthusiast
Date Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 10:45pm
Perhaps the topic name could include '78 AMX & '78 Gremlin GT to attract more attention rather than Spirit AMX only?

-------------
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/

Date Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 10:52pm
Good point. The rear flares are different for the Concord AMX and I'm not sure about the rear for the Gremlin GT.

Date Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 3:02pm

Looks like about 11 sets at $450.00 per set of 4.
If we doubled the set to $800.00 we would have enough for the initial batch.
I'm willing to spend $800.00 on flares.
This is of course as long as Mirror Image is still interested in producing them.
Thoughts?

450 sounds better of course,, but if 800 is the best # and that will make them happen, then i am still in.
Mike

Posted By: AMXRWB
Date Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 3:52pm
You can include the Gremlin GT but 99 percent of the world has no idea what a Gremlin GT is.

Posted By: jebidia24
Date Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 8:40am
I am new to the forum (but long time reader) and I am interested in the reproduction AMX/Gremlin GT fender flares.

Date Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 9:31am
I emailed John at Mirror Image. He is interested in making the flares.
He will get back to me on specifics of cost and number of minimums.
I will keep you posted.
If someone is willing to put up more seed money and have multiple sets for safe keeping or to sell that works as well.
I put up close to $3000.00 for the spoilers and was able to make my money back due to this forum. I don't have that cash to invest at the moment.
Dave

Date Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 5:09pm
What ever happened to the repop flares? I have an 80 Spirit AMX coming that is in need of set?
Thanks kindly,
Jonathan

-------------

Date Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 8:51am
Hello again everyone,
Just heard back from Mirror Image. John is still interested in producing the Flares.
Here is the quote:
20 sets at $450, minimum order of 10 to get started, with a commitment of 20 total.
I’m in for two sets at $450. That still leaves 18. I have counted the responses and we still don’t have enough sets committed for.

If someone wants to do the hobby a solid and buy more sets then they need and resell them that would be awesome.

I invested in getting the spoilers done and Inwas able to recoup my money.

If interested please let me know.

Dave

Posted By: chazman
Date Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 12:59pm
Great job, David! Now that we can get front spoilers and fender flares, maybe I should consider finding another '79/'80 AMX!  Wink

-------------
1979 AMX
Saxon Yellow
304/4 Speed

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net