Print Page | Close Window

Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67223
Printed Date: Mar/29/2024 at 4:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep
Posted By: Ollie
Subject: Rapid Delivery-Ollie's Postal Jeep
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 12:19pm

Ollie MotorSports is proudly announcing its latest project to the AMC motoring public, code named  “Rapid Delivery”.  Two phases of construction have been planned.

Rapid Delivery is now in phase one of its development. This will be to get a dependable  232/727 drivetrain in good running order, 2 integrated seat belt bucket seats installed, body work and paint and a long list of other stuff completed.

Phase two will be the drag race modification of Rapid Delivery. A few thoughts are the Eldebrock 232 semi hemi head, open headers, 4 barrel manifold, stall converter and a few other goodies. She will debut in Cordova someday.

I plan on keeping this project thread open for Rapid Delivery’s  history to be properly documented and become a piece of AMC history !!

I want to thank everyone in advance, the web site, all my groupie fans and all unknown admirers for your support. Yes, of course we accept donations for the worthy cause !

Doing what I try to do best, having fun. Enjoy the pics.

Ollie

http://picasaweb.google.com/105289957504618032267/RapidDeliveryOllieSPostalJeep" rel="nofollow - http://picasaweb.google.com/105289957504618032267/RapidDeliveryOllieSPostalJeep

Replies:
Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 2:40pm
Looks to be in pretty good shape! Looking at that brings back memories of working on them back in the 80's where the shop I worked at had a contract to repair them. They're crazy to drive above 40 mph. Shocked

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 4:39pm
Neat looking project.

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Feb/01/2015 at 5:18pm
Played with Rapid Delivery a bit today. 

Sorted out the spare parts, 2 sets of brake shoes, 2 sets of points and condensers, electric fan, yellow strobe light and transmission mount.

Worked on the color scheme a bit.

Going to be an eye full, hope no one misses seeing it !!
Ollie

Posted By: roguedoug
Date Posted: Feb/01/2015 at 5:38pm
Supply particulars (yr etc) in case anything usable can be found in dc/md/va Metro area.

-------------
67 Rogue Convertible 232 2bl Auto
Royal Blue 33A "ROSEBUD"
67 440 American 232 4D
08-72A "CLAUDIA"
AMO 10493

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Feb/01/2015 at 6:20pm
Ollie, your photoshop skills are coming along nicely!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Feb/02/2015 at 9:50am
Ya Tony...I am a real pro...hehehehe Big smile
Ollie

Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: Feb/02/2015 at 10:45am
Neat project. Years ago I was contemplating a Metro street rod. Never could find one so that one died.

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Date Posted: Feb/19/2015 at 12:10pm
I got a service manual that came  with my Jeep. It is a DJ-5C 1974 manual that covers the Borg Warner T-35 and M-11 transmissions.

My trans has been changed to a 727.

I need the transmission chapter from a DJ-5D (1975-1976) manual that covers a 727 Torque Flite. Does anyone have this chapter and  willing to photo copy for me? Have one they don't need?

Does anyone need the T-35 or the M-11 transmission chapters?
Ollie

Date Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 11:49am
Worked on Rapid Delivery last Sunday.

My 89 Ford F-150 wheels fit like a glove. They fill up the wells. 15”X8” wheels and 235X75X15 tires. Might be a lot of tire for my king pin front end, but throw caution to the wind, we own a welding machine.

Rear fit and cleared but I will have to re-arch the springs. They have a slight negative arch.

I drove it around the block with the front tires but did not want to risk it with the rear tires. Hate to tear up my good truck tire. Test ride was great.

Added to my jeep knowledge…no disc brake conversion kits for king pin front ends. Can somebody prove me wrong?

Ordered new front seats and seat belts. It should be considerably warmer next week.

Have fun with your AMC, I am.
Ollie

Date Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 11:58am
Messed up my picture link, hope this works Ollie
https://picasaweb.google.com/satellite1965/RapidDeliveryOllieSPostalJeep#[/URL]

Posted By: 2AMCKIDZ
Date Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 2:30pm
You need to watch out on the wider Ford wheels as if you drive it with the doors open they will rub on the doors. Had a 76 that i installed those wheels on and had that problem.

Joe

-------------
1969 AMX
1971 Gremlin

Posted By: trewyn15
Date Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 2:37pm
This will be a cool build!

If I get time tonight I'll photoshop you up some copies with your color scheme so you can get a better idea of what you're looking to build towards :)

-------------
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic

Date Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 2:42pm
I had to remove the door to get the tire on.

I am going to fabricate some steel half doors and hinge them.
Ollie

Date Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by trewyn15 trewyn15 wrote:

This will be a cool build!

If I get time tonight I'll photoshop you up some copies.. :)

TKS, cool
Ollie

Posted By: scott
Date Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 6:32pm
Ollie, there was a thread on this site a little while ago about installing front discs on an early Postal truck. The poster figured out a way to do it without too much trouble.

Found it! http://theamcforum.com/forum/disc-brake-conversion_topic42114_page3.html

Date Posted: Feb/25/2015 at 12:08pm
My seats arrived today, but todays ice storm makes it a bit to cold to work in the shop.
Looks as if the drivers side maybe a direct bolt in, but will have to make brackets for the passenger seat.
Don't see a big issue.
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/01/2015 at 8:31am
Weather was more cooperative today. Started fabricating my seat brackets. Got all four of the main supports done. Will do the final fitting today. The floor is in excellent condition. Seat belts arrived too.

This mock up gives you the general idea. Think it will look sharp. Staying with the red, white and blue theme.
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/02/2015 at 8:47am
Got the brackets the built and fitted. Picked up the height of the seat 2 1/2". Now I am looking thru the upper half of the windshield. By using the 2" wide angle I will be lining up with all the original bolt holes.
The floor is in great shape. Hope to get it bolted in today and the seat belts installed. The passenger side should go a lot easier.

Keep having fun with your AMC
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 1:39pm
Seat and belt project is Completed !!

I am ready for our local cruise in this Saturday. It will be the first time that Rapid has been to a social function.

Ready to move on to the next project: brakes. They work good, I see no leaks, but it does have a mixture of regular and silicone fluid. I will give them a complete inspection and adjustment.

Bye for now..off AMC'ing
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/10/2015 at 8:33am
Have not gotten to the brakes yet, but I jumped feet first into the fuel system. Need to get the fuel gauge working. Removed what was left of the sending unit and syphoned the remaining fuel. Will remove and clean the tank. I hope my cleaning kindness does not create a leak as it is good now.

The gauge is not working, but I do have power to it. Also the wire from the sending unit to the dash checks good. I see that I will have to replace both the gauge and sending unit.

I have discovered that the DJ and CJ tanks are not the same and the sending units are different.

I now have a question.
I can understand the sending units being different because of a different shape of the tank. My question...is the mounting ring the same?
If so, I believe I can modify the pick-up tube and bend the float arm to work. Also there seems to be a vent tube connection on the CJ sender, not a big deal.
There is a big cost difference $30 vs $90

I am not worried about the gauge as I have a autometer fuel gauge that matches the ohms of the CJ sending unit.

Need someone who has "been there, done that" to chime in.
Ollie

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 2:39pm
I have not done this swap but as a good guess they all look to be of the same size when round.

Is there any way to look up the gaskets for the 2 to see if they are the same part numbers? If they are then I would say it's good it will seal/lock.
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Date Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 3:57pm
That's the answer....I don't have part number books
I agree with you,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 7:18am
I worked on Rapid’s fuel tank today. Removed and cleaned it inside and out. I did find the missing float for the sending unit.

Discovered the fuel tank has been in an accident. The rear bumper lines up perfectly with the crease in the tank. A living testament to AMC iron, never been repaired and never has leaked.

While reading the shop manual, I discovered that the DJ has an 11 gallon tank. The CJ tank is 15 gallon. So there is the answer to the question why CJ tanks will not fit in a DJ; 4 gallons is a lot in size.

Now back to the question of the fuel sending unit… DJ vs CJ… I think that the shape of the fuel pick tube on the CJ sender unit is a different length than the DJ. Also maybe the swing of the float may be different due to the different tank sizes. But, I am still convinced that if the mounting hole is the same size I can make the CJ sender work. I might have to modify the pickup tube a bit.

Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/18/2015 at 12:53pm
I went ahead and ordered the CJ fuel sending unit. It should arrive Thursday. If it fits the tank hole I feel I can get it working.

Cleaned and painted the fuel tank.

I got a shocking discovery concerning the fuel gauge. The Autometer gauge I have is not what the box says !!! The ohms of the gauge is backwards of what I need. I am going to use it, and it’s installed. I think it will work but backwards. When the gauge reads full it will be empty.

“Rapid Delivery” will be making fuel. Starting off at empty and going to full. Good vehicle!!!
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/20/2015 at 9:39am
My new CJ fuel sender unit arrived and it is mighty close to what I pulled out. You can see the pickup tube lengths and the float swing are very close. The gasket and sealing ring are the same. The unit meters out 73 ohms empty and 10 full, exactly what I had discovered. I don’t know what a DJ ohms out at but my guess is the same. There is also a tank vent on the sending unit, but I just plugged that as the tank itself is vented.

I see what they do for the bigger CJ tank. There is a filter that pushes onto the pickup tube to add extra overall length. You cannot use that in the DJ tank. I will install an inline filter before the fuel pump.

Got the sending unit and tank installed and powered up. With the tank empty; my gauge, which has the ohms reading backwards, went immediately to full. One gallon of gas, gauge reads 7/8 full; 2 gallons reads ¾ full; 3 gallons 5/8 full; 4 gallons ½ full.

The end result is when the gauge is E you are full and when it reaches ½ tank you need to get fuel. Anything over ¾ full you are flirting with danger.

I bypassed and removed the ammeter gauge. I will replace it with a volt gauge. The ammeter gauge has been the down fall of many an old Mopar wiring harness. I don’t need that issue.

All and all the wiring harness is in excellent shape, not been messed with too much.

Having fun with my AMC, hope you are too.
Ollie

Posted By: rocklandrambler
Date Posted: Mar/20/2015 at 11:39am
Ollie, you might want to consider a re-think on the length of the pickup tube. Firstly, ALL sending units are supposed to have the push on filter (AKA sock). That doesn't make the tube longer. If your new sending unit has a shorter pick-up tube you may run the risk of getting into a situation, like going up a hill, where the tube is too short to reach any available gas and you may stall from lack of fuel. Maybe you can braze on an extension?

-------------
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H

Date Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 9:15am
Started working on the front brakes and I have discovered that both fronts are missing the self-adjusting parts. Not a problem, I am now the adjuster.

The right front had the correct shoes, but the brake linings are all cracked.

The left front had the wrong shoes, both shoes had large linings. Should have a smaller lining in the front. Both linings are cracked also.

I plan on turning the drums, cleaning up everything, repack the wheel bearings and install new shoes (that came with the jeep)
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 9:21am
Got the front brakes completed. Bleed the system and got rid of the mixture of fluid, silicone and regular. You can see the shoes were bad.
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/24/2015 at 4:42pm
Did you get to the rears yet? It almost looks like the rears may not have been doing anything and the fronts over heated and why they cracked.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 7:14am
Dave,
Just pulled the rear drums and you are 100% correct. Both rears were complete including the self adjusters. The right rear adjuster was keeping so much tension on the shoes that it has wore the brake drum out.

I could not push "Rapid" around the shop because the brakes were so tight. Now, I know why. I have new shoes for the rear and I need one new drum.

The drum may be an issue. According to the info I can find, they show that a 1974 had 11" drums. Mine are 10" X 2" which corresponds with a 1973.Rapid is an very early 1974, which leaves me to believe AMC was using 1973 parts until they used up that stock. (An old Mopar trick too)

I have to address the drum issue first. Going to take it over to my cousins today and have him look at it and see if, in his opinion, it can be turned. I sure hope so but suspect not.

Napa's web site shows a 10"X 2" for a 1973 DJ. Of course it must be ordered.

More AMC fun to follow,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 2:03pm
The report on Rapids brakes is all good news !!

The rear drum with the deep groove turned out at .023. The emergency brake lever was engaging the brake shoe at all times. The cable was frozen in the housing and I could not pull out more cable. I removed the emergency brake cable and all associated hardware on both sides.

The front 2 drums turned out at .010. They were warped because of overheating.
Remember all those shoes had cracked linings.

I was missing hardware for the front self-adjusters; so I removed all the hardware. They are now manually adjusted brakes.

Went for a 10 mile ride and exercised the brakes. Finale report: working great, stopping straight. Bring it by the shop in a 1000 miles for a brake adjustment check.

Ready to move to the engine, it needs a bit of TLC. All the smog/pcv system is to go.
Ollie

Posted By: dltowers
Date Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 10:46pm
Ollie....Are these postal jeeps "Top-Heavy", and subject to flip over easily?

-------------
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20

Date Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 3:11pm
Dickie,
That’s a very good question. I am not sure if I have figured out an answer yet. This tag is in the vehicle.

Let me start with the steering.
This is the first straight, axle king pin front end I have ever owned or driven. It has a shock mounted in the system called a steering damper. It steers differently than a car. If you are in a sharp corner and punch the gas, the steering wheel will not automatically start turning to center like a car. The driver has to turn the steering wheel, both in and out of a turn.

Top-heavy
I don’t think that’s much if an issue as the steering. Keep in mind the springs and shocks need drastic attention. I think some wider tires will help a lot.
Ollie

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 8:08pm
Please heed the warning on that placard! I've driven quite a few of them and they will flip pretty easy if you take a corner hard. I've them on 2 wheels a few times without even thinking about it. They're narrow and have a short wheelbase so they're not real stable. They really need front and rear sway bars and wider tires but the tires will interfere with the door opening.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 12:13pm
Been working in the engine compartment, we now have BLING !! Maybe not chromed to the max but some eye appeal…hehehehe… anyway …having fun.

Removed all the associated PVC plumbing. There was a vapor recovery system for the fuel tank, which is now gone. All that remains is the PVC valve itself. Removed a really nice air cleaner and replaced it with a racing chrome one! I need to list it in the for sale section.

Got rid of a radiator water recovery bottle, vacuum tank and windshield washer bag and associated hardware. Have not removed the heater core yet, but its on the list.

Hooked up my vacuum gauge and the timing and carb adjustments are perfect. My only problem so far has been a leaking thermostat housing. I tried to fix that but it is still leaking so I have ordered a new housing.

The mechanic that over hauled the engine did a great job, only a bit of oil leaking from the valve cover. Don’t all AMC I-6’s do that?

Next week I will change the engine oil, add a fuel filter to the carb and fix water leak.

The next project is the 727 transmission. Got a major leak in the pan area and it’s in bad need of linkage adjustment. I have located a couple of new pans if I need them. It is nice to have a lot of Mopar car friends…hehehehe

Keep having fun with YOUR AMC !! I am trying my best too
Ollie

Posted By: RamblinMan
Date Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Dickie,
That’s a very good question. I am not sure if I have figured out an answer yet. This tag is in the vehicle.

This is the first straight, axle king pin front end I have ever owned or driven. It has a shock mounted in the system called a steering damper. It steers differently than a car. If you are in a sharp corner and punch the gas, the steering wheel will not automatically start turning to center like a car. The driver has to turn the steering wheel, both in and out of a turn.

Top-heavy
I don’t think that’s much if an issue as the steering. Keep in mind the springs and shocks need drastic attention. I think some wider tires will help a lot.
Ollie

Having worked on straight axle front ends, the auto-correcting problem is a caster problem most likely from weak sagging springs. If a new set of leafs or recurving them doesn't fix it, they make angle shims for leaf spring front ends. I went through this when I did a front axle flip on a 64 F100. I only had 2° of caster and it wandered and wouldn't return to straight. I added a 4° shim and fixed it.

-------------
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration

Date Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by RamblinMan RamblinMan wrote:

Dickie,

Top-heavy
Ollie

Having worked on straight axle front ends, the auto-correcting problem is a caster problem most likely from weak sagging springs. If a new set of leafs or recurving them doesn't fix it, they make angle shims for leaf spring front ends. I went through this when I did a front axle flip on a 64 F100. I only had 2° of caster and it wandered and wouldn't return to straight. I added a 4° shim and fixed it.

Or frozen king pins could also be a cause.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Apr/06/2015 at 9:42am
Thanks for the info guys. I will log that knowledge. All four springs are shot. Rear ones have negative arch. It will be some time before I address that issue.
Ollie

Date Posted: Apr/12/2015 at 10:17am
I have about completed the engine compartment work. Changed out the thermostat housing and the water leak is gone. Added a new fuel filter, it’s a Ford in-line screwed into the carb. Changed the oil, 10-30 Texaco and Wix filter. Old oil looked great.

Got started on the mirror project. I bought 2 new outside mirrors. They are the biggest single post mirrors I could find. The passenger side bracket was bent and I had to completely modify the driver’s side bracket. I had a new interior rear view mirror in the parts box that came with Rapid. Got to get the brackets painted now.
A lot of chrome bling now.

Got to get going on the transmission next.
Ollie

Date Posted: Apr/12/2015 at 10:37am
Ollie,
Looking at the front license plate, did you purchase the jeep in Texas?

-------------
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20

Posted By: RebelRay
Date Posted: Apr/12/2015 at 11:46pm
Looking good, Ollie!  My DJ-5 had the same issue with the steering (wouldn't return itself to straight).  I just figured that's how old Jeeps drove and never gave it another thought.  I don't think my springs were sagging.  If I recall correctly, the previous owner had recently had them re-arched.  But don't quote me on that.

Glad to hear your Jeep's moving along nicely.

Ray

-------------
http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62739" rel="nofollow - Click here to check out my 65 Classic Wagon build thread!

Date Posted: Apr/13/2015 at 10:21am
Dickie,
Yes, I bought Rapid in Round Rock, Texas.

The history of Rapid, as I know it, is:
The lady that I purchased it from bought it to run on a rural mail route. It was advertised a new rebuilt motor and transmission. She bought it and drove it from San Antonio to Round Rock, a distance of about 100 miles. It came with the parts to do a brake job. I think Rapid has only been used as a mail delivery vehicle. It still had the mail tray in it. She never transferred the title or put it into mail service.

We went to Round Rock, stayed in a hotel, and she drove it over to where we stayed. The hotel was 20 miles from her house. Rapid checked out to my satisfaction, the motor had just been recently worked on, all new accessories, radiator and heater core. I could smell the trans fluid and tell it had not been recently overhauled.

I have a new Mississippi title and antique tags. Got a few more projects before I declare it “officially road ready”.
Ollie

Date Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 9:15am
The wheels of progress on Rapid have slowed a bit. House projects somehow seem to have a higher priority, as life can be rough when mom expects a “Honey Do” done in a reasonable amount of time.

The thermostat housing arrived and now the cooling system is 100%.

Worked on the wiring harness, got all of the transmission wires, neutral safety switch and back up light wiring figured out. Rapid originally had a Borg Warner trans before it was converted to a 727. No neutral safety switch now but I can rig up something later.

Removed the heater, heater core, associated wiring, switches and cables. Washer bag, pump and wiring also bit the dust. I still have one group of wires I have not identified yet.

I have 2 gallons of trans fluid, gasket and filter ready for my oil change.

Started on the fluid change this morning and it was not a glorious beginning. I pulled the dust cover off the trans, got the wife lined up to bump the starter to get my torque converter drain in the proper position…wife hit the key and the starter just hissed like a shook-up snake. “Oh Boy” I said….hehehehehe…maybe slightly worse.

O’Riellys has one, but of course it’s at the wrong store. It will be at my store at 3.

I have tried to add links to pictures and it has not been working lately. I have decided that the problem is the Picasa web site. I have a new site now and I hope this link works.

%20http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962" rel="nofollow - Rapid Delivery Pictures

Having Fun,
Ollie

Posted By: carnuck
Date Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 3:58pm
You have to trim the link above to the second part, then it works.

http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962" rel="nofollow - http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962

-------------
Got an Eagle?
http://forums.amceaglesden.com" rel="nofollow - http://forums.amceaglesden.com

Date Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 11:44am
Thank you for getting my link to work....
Can you explain how you "trim the link" ?????
Ollie

Date Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 5:19pm
If you click the link, you will see in the address box it has http://theamcforum.com/forum/ http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962 in the line. You can't do 2 urls at once. I think it's this site's anti-follow software blocking it from showing a hidden url.

-------------
Got an Eagle?

Date Posted: May/06/2015 at 8:24am
Time for a Rapid update.

Finished up the transmission oil change. The old oil had done its time, it had a very stinky burnt smell, a good bit of metal in the pan and the filter was hopelessly plugged.

Installed the pan and gasket and got a surprise when I pulled out the dip stick to add fluid, it was broken. I had to remove the pan again to get the last couple of inches of the stick out. I made repairs to the stick.

Rapid is shifting a lot better, he loves his new oil and the kick down linkage connected. The 727 trans is mighty tough, I suspect it will last a good while in “normal” service but expect it to fail rather quickly when we move into race mode.

I have stopped all of the transmission leaks. The only other major oil leak is the valve cover gasket and I got started on that.
Ollie

Date Posted: May/06/2015 at 1:20pm
One of the things I have done to any 727 (or any old school RWD auto) that I put into "severe" duty is add a can of STP engine oil treatment which brings up line pressure and helps the pistons engage the clutches with less slippage. It also seems to "gel" in the converter at highway speeds and improve fuel economy slightly. It definitely cut the temp while towing.

-------------
Got an Eagle?

Date Posted: May/07/2015 at 9:44am
Interesting...I have always added a can of STP to the rear end after working on it or a oil change, but have not heard of using it in a auto transmission. I will log that for future reference.
Ollie

Date Posted: May/10/2015 at 8:59am
Gave Rapid Delivery some more attention this week.

Got the valve cover gasket project completed. Moved Rapid to the wash rack and got him jacked up for the next procedure; a pressure wash.

I spent a total of 3 hours under Rapid pressure washing. I sure made a BIG improvement. The next day after everything dried up, I got him up to temperature and took him for a drive around the “shoe”. (I live on a horseshoe shaped road)

Two days of sitting in the shop on new cardboard …and not one oil leak !!!
That’s better than my Rambler. The rear main on my Rambler always leaks a drop or two unless it’s on vacation and driven daily.

I have ordered 4 new shocks….next project.
Ollie

Date Posted: May/29/2015 at 9:01am
Rapid Delivery Called into Emergency Donor Services

A bit of background….headed off to the NSRA Mid –America Nationals in Springfield, MO. Had a GREAT TIME; sorry for the shouting but I want YOU to know!

Biggest show I have ever been to. 1925 vehicles and 1921 vehicles new to me. Three AMC Americans, including mine and a Metropolitan drag car. I parked my American and me and the wife went walking. About 4 hours later we came back to our car: the guy sitting next to our American told me this car gendered more attention than any, everybody stopped to look at it. Cool!!

Now the sad news…my rebuilt trans in the Rambler is starting to left me down. I have declared the Rambler a “Zip Coder” That meaning I have little faith in its ability to leave my local zip code.

Rapid Delivery has been called to DUTY !@! He has volunteered to donate his internal organs to the Rambler.

I will be pulling the 1974 232 block and Mopar 727 trans for a complete rebuild and installation in the Rambler.

Upgrades to include Clifford intake and exhaust headers, 2 barrel Weber Carb, Electric choke, Lokar gas pedal with all the cable hook ups, external transmission cooler and probably more stuff.

I had this in my mind when I bought Rapid, but I had not planned on it happening this fast. Figured by transmission rebuild would last 20k miles but it was not meant to be.
Ollie
Pictures:
http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962" rel="nofollow - http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962

Date Posted: May/29/2015 at 10:13am
Ollie,
So you are letting Rapid Delivery "Fall on its Sword" for the overall good of the cause?

What about your upcoming journey to the Lone Star Regional in Lufkin on June 13, still plan to make it?

-------------

Date Posted: May/29/2015 at 8:54pm
Hi Dickie,
Had to cancel Lufkin as soon as Reagan changed the date.

Conflicted with a must attend local show. They support my show.

The Rambler will be in attendance, not a big drive.

Here is my show, it will be the Ramblers final fling before the repower.
Ollie

uploads/8450/VA_Fun_Run_2015.pdf" rel="nofollow - VA_Fun_Run_2015.pdf

Date Posted: May/31/2015 at 1:56pm
The Rapid Delivery project is now on hold. My Story...

I have just recently had the M-35 trans rebuilt in my 66 Rambler American.. The trans is shifting great and no vibrations. The issue; at ambient temps above 85 and a couple of hours at highway speed it's leaking trans fluid out of the front main seal. Not satisfactory for my needs.

I decided that I will to take the motor and trans from Rapid, rebuild it and install in my Rambler.

The drive train from the Rambler to Rapid. At 45+ mph in Rapid you are flirting with disaster.

This thread and project will be put on hold.

Pictures: http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962" rel="nofollow - http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962

I will start a new thread in members projects...Repowering Ollie's Rambler
Ollie

Date Posted: May/31/2015 at 4:57pm
Just reread the earlier posts. On your steering, I would check that shock. When they start seizing the steering stops returning like normal. If the toe in, isn't, then the steering stays where it's turned to. Dry king pins and steering box can do that as well. Hopefully it's not the belt drive from the pass side to driver's side system. In WA they aren't legal for use over 45 mph.

-------------
Got an Eagle?

Date Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 3:16pm
Ollie,
I know that "Rapid Delivery" has been put on the back burner, while you are 
"Re-Powering The Rambler".
But, I would like to submit (for your upmost considerationLOL), a design idea for....
"The New/Improved Rapid Delivery"....

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 3:51pm
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 6:48pm
I totally agree......... I have a picture of Rapids "little brother" on my desk top...

Rapid will make Cordova maybe next year...
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/13/2016 at 8:34am
Rapid Delivery is back in the spot light !!!

This whole project did not go the way it was originally planned.

I was going to re build the 232/727 and turn Rapid into a drag jeep and after a bit of fun I was putting that drive train in my 66 American. The rebuilt BW transmission in my American didn't cut the mustard, so Rapid was called upon to donate his internal organs, thus ending his drag career before his first "launch".

Rapid's engine and transmission are now in the American and doing fantastic. The 1968, 199 & BW from my 66 American are now mounted in Rapid and I am in the process of getting everything hooked up and running.

The engine mounts were a direct bolt in. but the transmission required a bit if fabrication. I used an American trans mount. I have to get a drive shaft fabricated.

Worked on the transmission linkage yesterday and met with success. I now have a working shift lever, rudimentary but effective.

This is now the "Launch Lever"

Next step will be getting the fire wall cleaned up and painted. I plan on relocating the battery to the left side, over the starter, and plug the holes for the heater system that was removed.

I have also decided to remove the sliding doors and build my own 1/2 doors. The front fenders and hood will not be installed...going for that open look.

I now own 3 AMC's, which in itself is not a bad thing...BUT..I do have a parking problem with Rapid. He will not fit on my lift do to the height. That is not good. I need 2 AMC's stored on my lift.

Rapid will be sold as soon as he his up and running.
He will be a cool "Rat Rod" Postal Jeep; all AMC.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/13/2016 at 10:31am
Ollie, "Welcome Back Rapid Delivery!!Thumbs Up"....
Glad to see it back in the spotlight....

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/14/2016 at 8:26am
Thanks Dickie...Congratulations on your Hemming's article...cool

Back to work on Rapid.

Good day, removed the hood and got the fire wall wiring positioned out of the way. Removed the battery tray, as it will be re-located to the starter side. Will not be an issue.

I will have to make a plate to cover the heater holes. It will be in back of the battery.

Rounded up parts !! That doesn't sound like much, but the older you get, with my steel trap memory, it turns into a major feat. Of course a few beers really helps the memory too.

I can see that the bracket division of Ollie MotorSports will be in full operation. I will have to fab a bottom alternator bracket, as the one that was on there was broken. If course at removal time I said that I was going to use a 10 si alternator so I chucked the broken one. Daaa !!    Carburetor throttle bracket ?? Custom fab here too. I surfed the web last night and not much out there. Be easier for me just to make one.

Having fun with my AMC Stuff,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/15/2016 at 8:28am
Another day of good progress on Rapid..

Got all the engine holes plugged up and ready to pressure wash.
Bumper removed and will take it to my buddy Pete's shop to straighten...

Worked on my throttle and alternator brackets a bit.

Enjoy your AMC,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/20/2016 at 8:22am
Another big leap forward on the Rapid Delivery Project...

I think the bumper came out fantastic !! Pete has a nice press and we were able to get it fairly straight. Once I got it mounted I was able to use my porta-power from the engine support bracket to the bumper to get it even better.

Got the plate on the fire wall to cover the heater holes. The bumper, firewall and frame is now in primer. The weather has taken a winter turn again so I am on hold for a few days until a warm up for painting.

Plenty more pics... http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962" rel="nofollow - http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/23/2016 at 8:02am
It's amazing how a day in the paint shop @ Ollie MotorSports can improve the looks of Rapid....

The battery tray is done and will get it and battery mounted today.

Ready to move on to the grill/radiator support. I am going to paint it red, white and blue.

Still have plenty to do, but having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/24/2016 at 2:33pm
Worked on the grill. Cleaning up, sanding and priming. It really needed blasting.

Wow, I wish it could talk because he sure has some stories. It has been professionally painted five times and the last coat was a spray can of black primer. I am 99% sure it is not the original grill. None of the rest of Rapid has that much paint.

This is my first spray can paint job and its going to look FANTASTIC. It will be the selling piece !!! The center will be white. Have to let the paint dry a couple days.

Played with the boomerang bracket some more too. Its in the paint shop now.

Sure looks like a alien space craft..wish I was a good photographer. If you want to know more about the bracket, before I unveil it here, you can go to my picture site.

Rapid is starting to look more road ready everyday.

Big car show weekend, Friday and Saturday, so Rapid will have the weekend off. It will be the Rambler's turn to shine. He gets a good bath tomorrow.

Pic site... http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962" rel="nofollow - http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962

Have AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/28/2016 at 9:12am
The bling is coming on. Can't wait to get it assembled...

More bling...the air breather...waiting on paint to dry is really exciting..

Got the boomerang bracket installed. Working as planned. Its a Carter YF carb that used mechanical linkage on my American so I had to convert it to cable throttle.

I think see the end of the tunnel...???...light there ???

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/28/2016 at 10:12am

I think see the end of the tunnel...???...light there ???

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Just so long as the light is NOT the headlight on the train.....

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/29/2016 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Just so long as the light is NOT the headlight on the train.....

I don't hear anything...is that a good sign???

Sneak pre-view.....

Have to replace both radiator hoses, there on order. More fabricating and painting.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Mar/29/2016 at 12:08pm
Looking great Ollie. Can't wait to see the finished product.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/31/2016 at 7:58am
More good progress to report on Rapid Delivery...

Got the distributer dropped in and the radiator support/grill finished up. My brackets and all thread rods worked out good.

Had paint issues with the air breather. Sanded it to metal and re-primed. Going to be a few days on that red, white and blue bling.

I am down to the cooling system and wiring now. My new radiator hoses arrive today. My mail doesn't get here until 330 pm, so I expect no more progress until next week.

We are off to the Gulf Coast tomorrow for the weekend. Believe it or not...a car show Friday and Saturday. Looks as if Rapid will have to stand by for a few more days.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Apr/02/2016 at 11:38pm
Nice! Aftermarket ignition wiring system or?

-------------
Got an Eagle?

Date Posted: Apr/05/2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

Nice! Aftermarket ignition wiring system or?

Just stock, points & condenser. All the fancy is in the Rambler.

Not to much progress to report as I have not had much time to play with Rapid. Off car playing all last weekend and leaving tomorrow to Oklahoma. We are attending the NSRA Show, OK State Fair Grounds, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.   More car playing      

I did get the new radiator hoses installed

Wiring hook up is all that's remaining now. Hope to fire Rapid Delivery up next week.

Have AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Apr/06/2016 at 10:28am
Simplicity is best!

-------------
Got an Eagle?

Date Posted: Apr/15/2016 at 8:37am
Been working on Rapid's wiring.

Ran into brain blockage on wiring the starter. Its a solenoid/starter one piece. Just couldn't remember how it was wired in The Rambler and I do remember I had to come up with the proper solenoid when Rapid's motor was put in The Rambler. (The joy's of getting older)

Our Forum to the rescue !! Thanks Matt ! He answered my wiring question right away !!

Just have the lights and new turn signals to get wired up. Back-up lights will be a toggle switch. Should be finished today.

Have not started it yet but it does turn over.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 8:34am
Big progress but not complete yet. The engine compartment, headlights, turn signals, horn and brake lights are all working.

I moved the battery and battery cables are new.

All new connectors on the alternator. I had to extend the head light harness to route to around the radiator and keep it out of the way.

A bit of wiring touch up on the taillights and clearance lights is needed. I got 4 ambler LED clearance lights as a door prize at a car show that will be installed. Back-up lights will go on a toggle switch.
Got a couple of power ports to install.

Next week, weather permitting we can get it to Jackson Drivetrain for the new drive shaft.

Remember Rapid Delivery can be yours !! He is for sale for the bargain sale price of $3995

Have AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Apr/17/2016 at 2:28pm
Ready to call the Rapid project completed or maybe better to say; the work that Ollie MotorSports is doing is completed.

Only two remaining projects are fabricating and installing the driveshaft and the exhaust system. The exhaust will look like a tractor, just a J and straight up, with a flapper. That work will be done at the respective shops.

Had a bit of a hiccup on the rear lighting. Both taillights are shot. They are flange mounted 4" LED's. Will have to order a set on E-Bay.
All electrical, including 2 power ports is working. Even have interior ambiance lighting !!!!

I do plan on fabricating 1/2 doors out of plywood. That may happen or may not. Depends on how fast Rapid sells.

I see the site is adding a AMC Vehicle For Sale thread. Cannot wait to list Rapid Delivery.

More pics: http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962" rel="nofollow - http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6882962

Having AMC Fun and hope you are too !!!,
Ollie

Posted By: 67 Marlin
Date Posted: Apr/18/2016 at 9:44pm
It's always nice to see a plan come together!

Date Posted: Jun/08/2016 at 5:24pm
Rapid Delivery has been receiving a bit of attention. I been playing. Motor cranks right up and all the wiring and lights are 100%

Loaded Rapid on the trailer for a trip to the drive train shop.

Be riding soon &
having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Jun/11/2016 at 7:09am
Rapid Delivery is home from his adventures about the town !!!

Still have issues but met with more success than problems, so that is a good thing.

First stop was the drive train shop. They re shimmed the rear end to set the pinion angle correct.

They cut down the drive shaft and got it installed. It is extremely short because of the long BW tail housing. Now the major issue is the jack leg (ME) that made the trans mounting brackets did not line it up to good.

I have vibration but the driveline man says once I get it straighten out it should be OK. I have to agree...

Went to the muffler shop and Kevin did exactly what I wanted. Sounds great too.

Played musical vehicles and got Rapid up on the lift for the trans retro-fit.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Jun/11/2016 at 2:36pm
Rapid came thru his major emergency surgery with flying colors !!!

I completely removed the trans mounting I had made and welded a piece of 3/16 plate to the top of the cross member. That dropped the tail shaft down about 1 inch. Used my come along to pull the drive shaft straight and bolted the NAPA Rambler trans mount to the plate.

Test ride was a complete success !!!!! No vibration.

To celebrate the occasion Rapid is going to be the main attraction at our local cruise in this evening !!!!!!!!

AMC Pumped UP,
Ollie

Date Posted: Jun/30/2016 at 11:45am
Rapid Delivery went to the trim shop today. He has been running like a finely jeweled Swiss watch so to award him....

He looks better showing off his name

Hope he sells soon so I can use the money for new wheels and tires on The Rambler. Big July 4 Sale...reduced to $2900

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Nov/12/2016 at 5:59pm
UPDATE ....Looks like Rapid Delivery is not going anywhere soon. I tried to sell him during Crusin the Coast and no takers. Guess Rapid is telling me he wants to stay here at Ollie MotorSports. I have decided that I have officially bonded with him. He is not really a parking problem, fires right up if I need to move him and he is actually fun to drive. I have insurance on him too.

The time will come when I have nothing to do and Rapid will be a good project to finish up. All he really needs is a paint job and I can do that myself. I mean he runs and drives 100%.

Anyway, played with Rapid today. I was organizing my parts shelf today and I found a new correct exhaust donut so I installed it. He did not have the correct donut. I also put on a battery connect/disconnect.

I hung my new sign that I purchased at the Halloween Car Show in Houston, TX. They had a silent charity auction and I bought it.

The sofa area is the No Bull Zone. That means that NO bull is spoken there !!! Anywhere else in the shop you can speak all The Bull you want. Now, if someone believes it......all the better.

Got to get The Rambler ready next week for the Winter Rod Run, Jasper, Texas Nov 18-20.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: Dec/08/2016 at 3:24pm
Ollie, I found a "Parts Source for Rapid DeliveryBig smile"....

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/09/2016 at 8:06am
WOW Dickie.......
I should be able to find any thing I need in that AMC Iron pile !!!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Date Posted: May/14/2017 at 5:10pm
I can’t believe that it has been this long since I have posted to Rapid Delivery’s page.

Rapid has been standing by for orders, waiting on a Rapid Delivery Mission, but no requests have been received at OllieMotorSports…..yet.

Rapid has been officially adopted and is one of the loved family. No offers when I had him up For Sale. In OllieMotorSports tradition we will just throw more money at him.

New custom made doors, body and paint work are coming soon.

A friend called and asked me if I want some trunk liner/carpet. I said sure. It is Nissan rejected material.

Add a qt of contact cement I see a new interior for Rapid.

Rapid has sat so long he is now broke. When I started him up the alternator is not putting out. No charge at all. I got a single wire alt on the shelf. Have to fabricate brackets.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Date Posted: May/16/2017 at 6:44pm
Me and Rapid Delivery had some bonding time today.

I mocked up the door that will replace the sliding doors. Good thing I did this before I cut the actual wood doors as my first mock up was a dud. I only have enough 1" plywood for one cut.

I am going to use Jeep hood hinges for my door hinges.

My first door looked good, but the problem was with the mounting bolts for the door hinge. They were going to end up on top of the top frame. Not good.

I had to add 1 3/4" to the length of the door. Now the bolts will be a workable area.

Got it looking good now. Need to get the other sliding door removed. I got a plan for covering the doors.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: RebelRay
Date Posted: May/16/2017 at 6:49pm
Going for suicide doors there, Ollie? Glad to see Rapid Delivery getting some love!

-------------
http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62739" rel="nofollow - Click here to check out my 65 Classic Wagon build thread!

Date Posted: May/17/2017 at 7:32am
Originally posted by RebelRay RebelRay wrote:

Going for suicide doors there, Ollie? Glad to see Rapid Delivery getting some love!

You bet.......Ray
You could call Rapid a suicide machine if you drive it much over 50 mph...hehehehehehehe

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2017 at 11:02am
Moved over to the "passenger" side last night. Mock up door fit great, no shocking surprises.

I will have to add a spacer to the hinge where it mounts to the body. It will have to be approximately 1" thick. Anyone have the cnc equipment to cut me 4 of them?

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: May/23/2017 at 7:40am
Got the doors cut out of the plywood now. The plywood is old and its a bit thicker than 3/4".

Went thru a bunch of stuff, some would call it junk, and came up with weather-stripping and edging material.

This 1/2" edging fits great. I have enough for one side. I need 10' for the other side. I will pick some up in Springfield, MO at the NSRA Show this weekend.

I have enough weather-stripping for both doors.

I am using "T" nuts on the doors. Wanted to use 7/16" but I have learned that 3/8" is the biggest made. Lowes only had 4 and my hardware store only had 2 so it was E Bay to the rescue. Ordered 12 for $5. I would have spent way more than that on gas running them down.

I had been way over engineering the spacers for the hinges. I have found 3" wide flat bar that will work. I have to get the doors mounted first to see how thick they need to be. I can space them out with washers first. I can get 3/4" to 1 1/2" thick flat bar so something will work. Cut the bar 1 3/8" long and I got a perfect fit. The hinge itself is square.

Here is a pic of the AMC Fleet........

I have located a complete serpent belt system for the Concord. I will need that when I put a Vintage Air system in the 258 Concord. It is a non AC car now. The only thing I am missing is a serpentine pulley for the power steering pump. Bet I can find one in Kenosha.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 7:33am
Hi my fellow AMC'ers..........

Got some bonding time with Rapid and I now have a door mounted !!
Looks as if the plan is coming together.

The hinges are Jeep hood hinges, thought that would be cool. Got my spacer issue figured out. I used washers, temporally, to get the thickness I needed.

A 1" spacer will do just right. The plywood is close to 3/4" and the 1" will move the door out enough for edging material and rubber weather stripping.

I ordered the spacers from Metal Depot. I got 1" X 3" flat bar, cut 1 3/8" long. They should be here next week. I can put a slide and drop latch to close the door.

Got to get my door jams cleaned up and painted. I got a really cool plan for covering the door.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 2:39pm
Rapid Delivery update.........

My spacer stock for the door hinges came in and I got to work on mounting the doors.

This is 1" X 3" flat bar cut 1 3/8", just enough to mount under the hinge.

Glad I have a 1/2" drill, that was given to me a few years ago, as drilling the bolt holes was tough. I really needed a drill press.

I think the doors are mighty sporty and are a lot better than the sliding doors. Don't I look sharp in Rapid?? (Its ok to fib a bit..hehhehehehe)

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie         

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 10:34am
More bonding time with Rapid and it looks as if I am going in the wrong direction !! Its defiantly being run thru the paint shop. I had planned on doing the paint with spray cans and I had a revelation....heck I am not going thru all this work and not do the best I job I can.

My painting days in the shop are over. To much stuff in there now. I do know of 3 people that own spray booths. I am doing all the work outside to keep my shop clean. I can do all the primer outside.

I am busting it down with 80 grit. The paint you see is South Bend paint. Rapid left the factory white top and blue bottom. It was professionally painted one time on the lower half making it all white. Then red, white and blue stripes around the middle were added. The crappy brown paint job was jack wagon. Just a scuff and shoot. Found the factory numbers on the roof, its the serial #. Interesting. Think I will put them back on.

Going to remove the dash and repaint the interior white.

Found a dent on the roof. Rapid was backed into something. You can see the bow in on the top.

About had all the fun I can handle for this week. Time to get ready for our Sunday departure to the NSRA Show in Pueblo, CO. I am sure we will enjoy the 2500 mile cruise in The Rambler.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 11:00am
After a fun trip to Pueblo and having a great time got back to work on Rapid yesterday.

Big successful day. Worked on the big dent in the top above the door on the back end. I got it looking a lot better than it was. I have the door and latch working good now.

You can see our new shop trinket in the picture; our new Jeep sign, which we purchased in Pueblo. I think its a cool addition to the shop/mancave.

I sure have learned one thing about these vintage Jeeps. The bumpers, both front and rear are a very integral part of the frame.

I put in a temporary piece of angle iron, marked by the arrow to hold the rear together. The fuel tank straps bolt to the bumper. Wife was reading in the shop manual that the rear bumper was actually riveted on at the factory.

I got the rear lights figured out. I had bought new led brake/taillight lights, so I am going to add led turn signal lights. Going to fill in the back up light holes. I am going to put a light bar on the roof, over the back door, for back up lights. I will install 4 led white flasher lights, one on each corner.

Got to get to work. Sanding the back end is today's project.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 1:54pm
More work on Rapid and he's slowly coming around.

Got all the paint sanded to factory paint. Used 80 grit. Ready to start on the body work. Got a lot of holes to fill especially on the roof. There were rubber plugs in the roof, I would think they were associated with some type of headliner. I am going to fill them all. Also the holes on the side where the sliding doors mounted need filled. Going to fill the backup light holes. I am going to mount some LED white flashers there.

The only rust holes are on the back roof rail. I am going to fiberglass it. I know that will shake up a few but keep in mind that I am trying to keep the cost down on the whole project.

The dash has to come out next.

Off to Kenosha so it will be some time before another update.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 1:53pm
Got a little more bonding time than I antiscipated. Rapid has under gone some more take apart. Got the steering column out and the dash is about to come out.

It is not going to be as big a job as it looks. I am going to make a new wire bundle for the gauges that I installed. Going to leave the original gauge cluster in. Have to paint it up nice. Might not work but it will look good.

Going to add some bling to the back door. Going to mount this license plate holder, with third brake light. I am a believer in a third brake light...one of the few "government safety laws" that worked.

The pile of parts is growing...

Hope I remember where they all go. Its heck when your old brain starts to go......

At least Rapid still has some good looking areas ...

See everybody in Kenosha.
Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/03/2017 at 2:42pm
Hi my AMC Friends........
In a stand-by mode for The Rambler. Waiting on srtuff.

More play time on Rapid Delivery = more progress

Got the dash, seat belts and drivers seat out. The interior is stripped and ready for clean up and paint. A lot to do in here.

Got my fiberglass work done over the big light holes I am not using. Removed the big back up lights and I am going to put on LED flashers. Got started on the body filler work.

Things were going mighty smooth at that point in time but then times took a difficult turn for me !! I was starting to notice water in my compressed air. I have a good Wilkerson water trap with the automatic drain.

Took my water trap bowl off and the automatic drain valve was in pieces. Not good.

They were never to be assembled in working order again..
Got me shut down. Cannot operate without dry air.

Found what I need on E bay.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 10:29am
My water trap drain valve arrived and got the Made in USA part installed. Its working like a champ now !! Back to Rapid Delivery...

Got the body work finished on both sides. Body filed and feathered out with 80 grit.

My cousin had gave me a gallon of body filler he found while cleaning up at the hospital. It was Bondo brand. First time I ever used that brand. Anyway it was to old, lumpy inside the can. Got a base coat on and had to throw it out.

I have always liked 3M light body filler, but instead of driving all the way to town I got a gallon of Bondo at Lowes. Get my Veteran 10% discount.

I see that Bondo is made by 3M and I swear that it is 3M Light. Anybody know more about this?

Making a lot of progress. All I am lacking finishing is the back end.

One more day of playin' with Rapid I should have all the body work completed.

Next weekend is Temple, Texas AMC Regionals. We are leaving Friday morning so I don't know how much time I will have next week to work on Rapid.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------

Posted By: AMoCoLite
Date Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 11:34am
First time I've checked in on this thread...I'll be checking in a bit more often I think!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net