Print Page | Close Window

Repro bumpers

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping
Forum Name: Product Announcements
Forum Description: This section is for vendors or members who offer products or services. VENDORS, Please post here and not in the general tech forums.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67210
Printed Date: Mar/29/2024 at 7:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Repro bumpers
Posted By: Sonic Silver
Subject: Repro bumpers
Date Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 8:24pm
I was just on the phone with my friend who owns AMD ( Auto Metal Direct ), and he told me that today he had signed off on reproducing front and rear bumpers for all Javelins and AMX's from 68-74.  He said that it would probably take 6-8 months to get to market. I asked if I could post it here, and he told me to have at it. 

Replies:
Posted By: nothingface5384
Date Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 8:51pm
Cool
too bad not for a 75 hornet lol

-------------
1972 Pro-Toured Buick Skylark Twin turbo efi 355 v8

1973 Pro-Toured Ford Maverick 302 v8

1975 Stock AMC Hornet 232 I6

1978 Stock Plymouth Volare 225 /6

Posted By: Rogue401
Date Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 11:43pm
64-69 Americans would be another common one to repro.

Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I was just on the phone with my friend who owns AMD ( Auto Metal Direct ), and he told me that today he had signed off on reproducing front and rear bumpers for all Javelins and AMX's from 68-74.  He said that it would probably take 6-8 months to get to market. I asked if I could post it here, and he told me to have at it. 
That is very good news.....I hope he doesn't lose his azz on the deal with the rambler mentality.  I like their products.

-------------
they call me Capt RETIRED!

Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 9:13am
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

That is very good news.....I hope he doesn't lose his azz on the deal with the rambler mentality.  I like their products.
It's a roll of the dice with most any reproduction parts.

Posted By: SCarolinaAMX
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 10:21am
Great news! Please keep us posted!

Posted By: SirDigger
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 11:19am
Interesting news, is there an estimated Price out in the Clouds?

-------------
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

Interesting news, is there an estimated Price out in the Clouds?

I forgot to ask, but The Gray brothers , Mike and Alan (360MDJavelin) both work there, and the owner bought an AMX and a Donohue Javelin from me in the past, as well as owning a few other AMX's and a red Rebel Machine, so I am sure they are aware of the market. When I talk to him next, I will see if he has an estimate. P.S. I liked your Marine joke. 

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 12:01pm
Put them on Ebay and set a reserve of a 1/2 million...it will get everyone talking about them and get free advertising.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: 360MDJav
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 12:29pm
We haven't set the price level yet, but I'll let you know when that happens. Mike and I sent
several of our own bumpers to be used as patterns, as well as a couple NOS ones that we
received from a friend. I even sacrificed my Donohue's rear bumper for the cause because it
fit better than the NOS one that I had.

Hopefully these turn into decent sellers. I know they are needed item, especially the 1971-74 front which is impossible to find in decent shape.

Alan

-------------
1970 Big Bad Orange Donohue
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401

Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by 360MDJav 360MDJav wrote:

We haven't set the price level yet, but I'll let you know when that happens. Mike and I sent
several of our own bumpers to be used as patterns, as well as a couple NOS ones that we
received from a friend. I even sacrificed my Donohue's rear bumper for the cause because it

Hopefully these turn into decent sellers. I know they are needed item, especially the 1971-74 front which is impossible to find in decent shape.

Alan
We can always count on you to "take one for the team." Thanks!

Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 12:48pm

Alan
We can always count on you to "take one for the team." Thanks!

It wasn't easy, believe me.

-------------
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401

Posted By: THE MENACE
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 1:40pm
This is indeed great news, but only if they are going to sell them un-plated as well as chrome plated. That way people can either take them to their own quality chrome shop or paint them as needed.

If un-plated bumpers won't be available then I guess I won't be a customer. It will also take this company longer to pay for the tooling if they are not willing to be flexible on the plating or finish. It's either be flexable and sell more bumpers, or make them one way, sell fewer bumpers, screw everyone else, and complain that they are not selling enough of them. This should be a no brainer!! We'll see!!!    

Dennis  

-------------
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

This is indeed great news!! Clap 

I'll be picking up a front one for my 70 AMX, because the one on my car is pretty badly twisted, and  doesn't fit very good. It's already been straightened but it's still not a great fit.

Question: Will they be available without chrome plating, or will I have to have it stripped to paint it??

Dennis  

Dennis,
They will only be available chromed. We sent a really mint, untouched '70 front as a sample, so it should be a great one to repro from. I wanted to send bumpers that were either NOS or excellent
used. It was important to have examples that had never been bent or re-chromed.

Alan

-------------
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401

Posted By: AMXRWB
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 2:58pm
You need to grind all of the paint off of the car then put it on Feebay for millions...

Posted By: ambassador401
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 3:04pm
I'd like to have a pair made from a bit thinner material

Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by ambassador401 ambassador401 wrote:

I'd like to have a pair made from a bit thinner material

They will only be made in the OE thickness, sorry.

-------------
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401

Posted By: Machine.Ben
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 4:10pm
This is very exciting to hear!

-------------
70 Ambassador SST
70 Javelin 390 4spd BBG
70 Rebel Machine

Posted By: 69BBB3904spAMX
Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 9:11pm
I would bet that owners of BB cars would pay the price for the chrome if you left those bumpers raw metal, as it is a PITA to remove the chrome to paint the bumpers for BB cars. You would still get your full price without the cost of chrome and those needing bumpers to paint would save the cost of removing the chrome.

-------------
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer

Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

I would bet that owners of BB cars would pay the price for the chrome if you left those bumpers raw metal, as it is a PITA to remove the chrome to paint the bumpers for BB cars. You would still get your full price without the cost of chrome and those needing bumpers to paint would save the cost of removing the chrome.

Heck yeah they would! I would gladly pay for a chrome bumper if you would send it raw.

Dennis   

-------------
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:

Date Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 9:26pm

Pat,
We've talked about doing the Big Bad bumpers. I'm not sure that will happen, but I wouldn't rule it out yet.

Alan

-------------
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401

Posted By: Damn Yank
Date Posted: Mar/08/2015 at 8:07am
This is great news. Mine looks like it was pulled out of a ditch by hook and chain. Keeping an eye out here on this one.

-------------
68 SST 343- Think Green.

Posted By: Bill Mitchell
Date Posted: Mar/08/2015 at 7:25pm
I think that the biggest market for any AMC bumper would be the 64 through 69 Americans. Very simple bumpers and you CANNOT find them. My wish list item. Ha, ha.....

-------------
Bill Mitchell

Posted By: pointmarionamc
Date Posted: Mar/09/2015 at 9:09am

I would take a 1970 AMX bumper

Posted By: raysinvegas
Date Posted: Mar/09/2015 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Bill Mitchell Bill Mitchell wrote:

I think that the biggest market for any AMC bumper would be the 64 through 69 Americans. Very simple bumpers and you CANNOT find them. My wish list item. Ha, ha.....

X2

-------------
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler

Posted By: Ant
Date Posted: Mar/09/2015 at 7:30pm
Any update? Also able to get Unchromed?

-------------
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Mar/10/2015 at 1:45am
I'll be up for a front bumper for the 71 Jav/AMX, the factory design is pretty flimsy so pretty damn hard to find a good one. I'll be visiting you guys in the US next month and the front bumper is one of the things on the shopping list if I can find one while I am there.

Posted By: mstrcrftr
Date Posted: Mar/10/2015 at 7:00am
i have a good core from a 73 javelin that you might be interested in.  i also have a chrome shop that can straighten and rechrome it if you want.

Date Posted: Mar/10/2015 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

Any update? Also able to get Unchromed?

It usually takes a year from initial start up on the development until we receive the product, so
it will be a while before we have any updates. I'll keep you up to date when I get any news on
how the project is going. We may do some of the 68/9 front and the rear bumpers without chrome
to help out the Big Bad car owners.

Alan

-------------
1971 ADPS Javelin
1973 Javelin/AMX 401

Posted By: amxbart1
Date Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 9:05am
I have a NOS big bad bumper if needed, also the American bumpers are different front to back , as back have 2 more bolts some but not all 64&65 are a little different.

Date Posted: Jun/09/2015 at 3:15am
70s Javelin FrontBumper... one for the German Guy please...  LOL

-------------
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: 6768rogues
Date Posted: Jun/09/2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by amxbart1 amxbart1 wrote:

I have a NOS big bad bumper if needed, also the American bumpers are different front to back , as back have 2 more bolts some but not all 64&65 are a little different.

American bumpers are the same basic stamping front and back. Fronts have 6 bolt holes in the face; rears have 4 bolt holes in the face and one in each end. Some early bumpers had no backup light holes. They would be good candidates for reproduction because one stamping could be used for both, with varying bolt holes for front or back.

-------------
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.

Posted By: Coloradoamx
Date Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 11:11pm
Any update on the timeframe for the repro bumpers?

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Aug/28/2015 at 12:53pm
I emailed AMD and got a prompt reply - they don't expect to have any made before the beginning of next year.

Posted By: BADJAV390
Date Posted: Aug/28/2015 at 1:28pm
I was interested in this as well. At least if thats true, I can put them on the car for next summer!

-------------
1968 AMX 390/4spd
1969 Jav 600 HP Alfano 390 Protouring
1970 Javelin SST 390/4spd
next..71 amx 401/4spd, 70 AMX 390 4spd, 69 sc/rambler, 69 AMX BBO 390 4spd

Date Posted: Aug/28/2015 at 9:32pm
Thanks.  The car won't be ready for them until spring anyway, so that's good timing.

Date Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 4:18pm

Pat,
We've talked about doing the Big Bad bumpers. I'm not sure that will happen, but I wouldn't rule it out yet.

Alan

Un-plated/un-painted seems like a no brainer to help pay for the cost of the tooling to make them. These days there are a lot more than just the owners of Big Bad color cars that want to paint there bumpers the same color as their cars.

Dennis     

-------------
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:

Date Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 11:00pm
It's not all about you "modified" guys Dennis....LOL

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Sep/02/2015 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

It's not all about you "modified" guys Dennis....LOL

Ha, yeah but now days you see more and more muscle cars going to painted and body color bumpers than in the old days where chrome was king.

Dennis

-------------
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:

Posted By: 70amxvegas
Date Posted: Sep/20/2015 at 10:39pm
History seems to come around every few years. Seems we humans just keep going back to the basics. Then go wild and say hey do I need that ?

Posted By: AMXFSTBK390
Date Posted: Sep/20/2015 at 11:27pm
In Northern California Chrome Shops are nearly extinct. Most chrome plating is sent out of state. Plus, chrome plating today takes a larger percentage of disposable income than it did yesteryear. When I was building custom bikes in the 70's-80's, most of the chrome plating was done in the SF East Bay Area. The chrome shops have gone out of business, mainly because of the EPA.

-------------
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?

Date Posted: Oct/24/2015 at 1:56pm
The problem with prices now and yesterday ist, that the income has risen too,
but the disposable income is lowerd by Responibilitys you hadnt at a young guy Wink

Another Problem, today its hard to find the Deal that gives ou the same bang for the buck craftsmanship as it was comon yesterday.

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: a9094mary
Date Posted: Oct/26/2015 at 5:42pm
This is great news.Thumbs Up

Posted By: SANCAPJJ
Date Posted: Oct/28/2015 at 6:19am
So - what is the time table on these parts?   I am ready to re-chrome my bumpers - but really don't need them until the spring.   Will these be available by then? Is there a contact number for the person doing this project to inquire? Thanks - JJ

Date Posted: Oct/28/2015 at 12:26pm
I just talked to someone who is "in the know" and they should be available by spring/summer 2016. All the usual AMC vendors will be selling them.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Oct/28/2015 at 1:33pm

I just talked to someone who is "in the know" and they should be available by spring/summer 2016. All the usual AMC vendors will be selling them.
You didn't talk to me, Tony.

Edit: I went to Hershey, Pa. for the big car show a couple of weeks ago with the owner of the company that is reproducing the bumpers.

The latest word, as of 6 P.M. today is that the 1968-74 rear bumper will be the first in the pipeline. Pre-production rear bumpers have been shipped, test fitted, and approved as meeting quality standards. I was told "a couple of months away" from hitting the market.

No pre- production front bumpers have been shipped, test fitted, or approved as of today. They will come along a bit later.

Posted By: ClassicCustom400
Date Posted: Nov/14/2015 at 12:35am
Update 11-13-15

Rear Bumper has been test fitted.  Still on for sometime in 2016. (03-28-2016)
Front 1971-74  ETA 05-05-2016.
Front 1968-69 & 70 3 to 7 months later.

Anyone interested in bumpers can be put on the back order lists to be called when they come in at:

Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts - www.AMXJavelinParts.com

American Parts Depot - www.AmericanPartsDepot.com

Kennedy American - www.KennedyAmerican.com

-------------
JeepComancher
www.ClassicCustom400.com

Posted By: hitman33dp
Date Posted: Nov/17/2015 at 12:51pm
Any idea what price ranges we should expect for these?

-------------
74 "NOT A REAL AMX" Javelin / 2 x 74 Javelins / 71 Javelin SST

Posted By: SportaboutX
Date Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 10:37am
Chinese or north American production?

If North American, they should be supported to the fullest, any quality parts made here are only going to help the hobby, and manufacturers should be rewarded for bringing them to market.

If we are talking Chinese, take into account that you will have to send the brand new bumper off to be chromed again unless you like green stuff popping through in under a year. Might be cheaper in the long run to get your original re-plated correctly the first time.

Anyone that has bought a repop set of Magnum 500 center caps the vendors sell knows exactly what I am talking about if their car is stored anywhere but a heated garage.

Posted By: 401MATCOUPE
Date Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 11:01am
Originally posted by SportaboutX SportaboutX wrote:

If North American, they should be supported to the fullest, any quality parts made here are only going to help the hobby, and manufacturers should be rewarded for bringing them to market.

If we are talking Chinese, take into account that you will have to send the brand new bumper off to be chromed again unless you like green stuff popping through in under a year. Might be cheaper in the long run to get your original re-plated correctly the first time.

Anyone that has bought a repop set of Magnum 500 center caps the vendors sell knows exactly what I am talking about if their car is stored anywhere but a heated garage.

The bumpers are being done by AMD, run by AMC guys, taking a chance the AMC guys will respond to the offering. Mike and Alan have been in the AMC game from the beginning, they make bumpers off-shore....but for Mopar and GM products mostly. I have personally been at there place and the quality of the repro metal and bumpers is very high, they have been doing it for a very long time. They DO NOT use the cheapest place off-shore to create the dies and stampings and are VERY focused on their reputation...the reason they are successful in making some of the same products as other repop sheetmetal guys is because there stuff is correct in the smallest details. Maybe do some research on them...Alan is a member of the AMC Forum and owns some very choice AMC cars....I would expect nothing but the best quality from these guys, they have a substantial investment in this large of stamping and tooling.

-------------
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT

Date Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 4:20pm

The founder, owner, and CEO of the company, Mark Headrick, as well as Mike and Alan Gray, have been friends of mine for 30+ years. The founder was a VP with Year One when I was there, in the mid-late 80's. He left Year One, to start Goodmark Industries, and made it into a powerhouse in repro parts. He left there to start Auto Metal Direct. It is a fantastic facility in Georgia, maybe 100,000 square feet(just a guess).

Trust me on this, the head man, Mark Headrick, sells nothing that isn't correct for the application. Every part is made with great precision in ultra modern facilities, then pre-production models are test fitted, sent back to Taiwan if necessary, then re-test fitted, until they are right.

I would trust Headrick with everything that I own. The Gray boys aren't too shabby either. Auto Metal Direct holds licensing agreements with GM and Chrysler to make Genuine GM and Mopar Parts for classic cars. This isn't a fly by night operation.

Posted By: Slate
Date Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 5:36pm
The guarantee will tell if the quality is there. If the part is right I'd buy one. But it has to be right and that means that the covering, the chrome, has to last. Getting the sheetmetal dimensions and shape should go without saying. The finish is what there is to shout about.

I would want details about how they chrome, about reasonable care, and what longevity to expect from the finish.

Steve

Date Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

The guarantee will tell if the quality is there. If the part is right I'd buy one. But it has to be right and that means that the covering, the chrome, has to last. Getting the sheetmetal dimensions and shape should go without saying. The finish is what there is to shout about.

I would want details about how they chrome, about reasonable care, and what longevity to expect from the finish.

Steve
I would suggest that you go to Youtube and type in (Auto Metal Direct Bumper Factory) and watch a 6:54 video of the production line and chroming steps. If that doesn't satisfy you or Sportabout X, then go to your local shop and get your's redone. This isn't a bunch of barefoot Chinese villagers with hammers and spray on chrome. Most of their other make bumpers seem to retail in the $300-400 range. I have no idea of the AMC pricing.

Edit: You can also google Auto Metal Direct Bumper Reviews and read about their quality .

Posted By: Peter Marano
Date Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 10:11pm
Great info, thanks Al.

Date Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 11:22pm

Steve
I would suggest that you go to Youtube and type in (Auto Metal Direct Bumper Factory) and watch a 6:54 video of the production line and chroming steps. If that doesn't satisfy you or Sportabout X, then go to your local shop and get your's redone. This isn't a bunch of barefoot Chinese villagers with hammers and spray on chrome. Most of their other make bumpers seem to retail in the $300-400 range. I have no idea of the AMC pricing.

Edit: You can also google Auto Metal Direct Bumper Reviews and read about their quality .

I know about stock bumpers and rechroming, that is the whole interest in the reproductions, the downside of encroaching EPA and California pollution laws and the rise in not only price, but the compromises that go into re-conditioning a chrome bumper. 

I simply defined what I would be looking for in an alternative, no need to get your knickers in a bunch or lump me or my requirements in with someone elses's thanks.Wink You wouldn't be the determinant of what decision process I make before potentially buying, but thanks for the concern.

Steve

Date Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 8:36am
I think that you misunderstood me Slate. I apologize if I worded it poorly. I just meant that these bumpers may not satisfy some people, and they would need to look elsewhere. I am having lunch with the company owner today, and when we talked last night, he told me that about 5% of the people who buy their bumpers, expect show quality chrome, and at the price point, that can't be achieved.

He said to get true show quality requires a significant amount of labor. He assured me that the quality is better than came on the car, and excellent for a driver(which is what the cars were when they were bought), but were not highest quality Pebble beach winning chrome. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't look great on the field at Kenosha however.

Remember, better than your car came with from the factory, but not good enough to win Pebble Beach. I can tell you from experience. I bought my 70 AMX new, and bought 2 NOS bumpers for my SC/360 a few years ago in the wrappers. These cars did not come with bumpers good enough to win Pebble Beach. Again, sorry about the wording of my post. It wasn't meant to be quite so curt sounding.

Date Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

Great info, thanks Al.
You are very welcome Peter.

Date Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 6:35pm

I think that you misunderstood me Slate. I apologize if I worded it poorly. I just meant that these bumpers may not satisfy some people, and they would need to look elsewhere. I am having lunch with the company owner today, and when we talked last night, he told me that about 5% of the people who buy their bumpers, expect show quality chrome, and at the price point, that can't be achieved.

He said to get true show quality requires a significant amount of labor. He assured me that the quality is better than came on the car, and excellent for a driver(which is what the cars were when they were bought), but were not highest quality Pebble beach winning chrome. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't look great on the field at Kenosha however.

Remember, better than your car came with from the factory, but not good enough to win Pebble Beach. I can tell you from experience. I bought my 70 AMX new, and bought 2 NOS bumpers for my SC/360 a few years ago in the wrappers. These cars did not come with bumpers good enough to win Pebble Beach. Again, sorry about the wording of my post. It wasn't meant to be quite so curt sounding.

Actually please accept my apology, it occurred to me that you were imparting info and standing behind your friend's product. I wasn't being the most polite. And I understand passion and loyalty. I do value that you announced the availability of these items.

I checked with interest into what Mopar guys were saying about the company's bumpers about 3&1/2 years ago. I'll check later comparisons as well as you suggested. Overall the report card was quite good on appearance and quality with some exceptions. Given that, at that time at least, there was a 30 day return window that allows something to be worked out if a bumper is not what the customer expected. Some of the exceptions included instances where the buyer knew ahead of time that the bumper was a blemished/or factory second bumper and they got a really good deal and lived with the minor flaw.

It would be interesting if the company might consider providing unplated bumpers for those that wish to powdercoat/or paint.Or somebody could get a blem bumper for less and then the glassbead/paint job is almost paid for.

Steve

Date Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 7:27pm

Actually please accept my apology, it occurred to me that you were imparting info and standing behind your friend's product. I wasn't being the most polite. And I understand passion and loyalty. I do value that you announced the availability of these items.

I checked with interest into what Mopar guys were saying about the company's bumpers about 3&1/2 years ago. I'll check later comparisons as well as you suggested. Overall the report card was quite good on appearance and quality with some exceptions. Given that, at that time at least, there was a 30 day return window that allows something to be worked out if a bumper is not what the customer expected. Some of the exceptions included instances where the buyer knew ahead of time that the bumper was a blemished/or factory second bumper and they got a really good deal and lived with the minor flaw.

It would be interesting if the company might consider providing unplated bumpers for those that wish to powdercoat/or paint.Or somebody could get a blem bumper for less and then the glassbead/paint job is almost paid for.

Steve
I just got back from a 6 hour round trip to Highlands N.C. to meet Headrick for lunch. He and I meet halfway in North Carolina 3 or 4 times a year. He said that the AMC bumpers will be a relatively small run (especially compared to some other makes) so I doubt that they could afford to have them done more than one way. Anyway, he assured me that this was his idea, and not the staff.

He has bought 2 low mile original AMC's from me in the past, a 69 BSO AMX, and a Commodore Blue MD Jav. Later the Grays in Atlanta wound up with both, and then who knows? Headrick was primarily a Mopar guy, but dabbled in all makes like I have. I know that he once owned a red 4 speed Machine and a couple other AMX's at least. He hopes that this project is profitable, but only time will tell. I am glad that he has stepped up to the plate to make these available.

Date Posted: Nov/20/2015 at 11:23pm
Given the challenges that old bumpers present, I'm glad he has too.Big smile

Steve

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 10:48am
Wish I could have persuaded AMD to use my Rebel quarter to make reproductions.

They weren't interested.

-Steve-

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 11:45am
Admission: I didn't read the whole thread. When will these bumpers be available? Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

They weren't interested.

-Steve-

I am sure that they couldn't see a way to come out on that large of an investment, given the limited market.

Date Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Admission: I didn't read the whole thread. When will these bumpers be available? Joe
page 5.

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 7:26pm

They weren't interested.

-Steve-

I am sure that they couldn't see a way to come out on that large of an investment, given the limited market.

I'd been happy just to have patch panels made similar to those the AMC vendors offer for the Javelin and AMX. It doesn't have to be the whole thing.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Nov/21/2015 at 8:05pm

They weren't interested.

-Steve-

I'd been happy just to have patch panels made similar to those the AMC vendors offer for the Javelin and AMX. It doesn't have to be the whole thing.

-Steve-

I am not in the know as to the cost of tooling to do something like that. I am sure it boils down to how much a part costs to make, and how many they can sell at what price.

Date Posted: Dec/07/2015 at 8:46pm

Steve

As a cost comparison I just sent out a 1970 AMX front bumper to a well-known reputable outfit for show chrome and it's nearly $1,000 to have it done, and the bumper needs no straightening, just chrome.  Their non-show chrome is only $150 or so less.  So, if AMD is in the $300-400 range for a complete NEW bumper that's a fantastic deal.  

Date Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 3:33am
Any news on this Topic? 

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Feb/16/2016 at 9:59pm

Any news on this Topic? 
Latest news as of tonight is that the 68-74 rear bumper production has been shipped from the factory and is "on the water." That means a slow boat from China. All the bumpers have been sold to one person or business for distribution. AMD will not be selling them direct, but I would assume that the unnamed buyer will be advertising the rear bumpers shortly.

The 71 Javelin front bumper prototype has been shipped here and been test fitted (great fit according to AMD owner) and will be produced shortly. I am not a 71-74 person, so I don't know if all 71-74 front bumpers are the same or not. I was told the 71 bumper, and didn't think to ask if that meant 71-74 or just 71, but that will be the first front bumper available. Also, all will be sold to the same entity for distribution. 1968-70 AMX and Javelin prototype front bumpers have not been shipped or test fitted yet, but are in the works. 

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Feb/16/2016 at 10:50pm
Just saw this thread, this is fantastic!
I was about to have my rear bumper chromed very soon, the timing couldn't be better.

Any idea on which vendor this is yet? I would like to get on a list to get one from the first batch.

Date Posted: Feb/17/2016 at 11:59pm
AMD is the company that's working on them.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: SportaboutX
Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 11:29am

Any news on this Topic? 
Latest news as of tonight is that the 68-74 rear bumper production has been shipped from the factory and is "on the water." That means a slow boat from China. All the bumpers have been sold to one person or business for distribution. AMD will not be selling them direct, but I would assume that the unnamed buyer will be advertising the rear bumpers shortly.

The 71 Javelin front bumper prototype has been shipped here and been test fitted (great fit according to AMD owner) and will be produced shortly. I am not a 71-74 person, so I don't know if all 71-74 front bumpers are the same or not. I was told the 71 bumper, and didn't think to ask if that meant 71-74 or just 71, but that will be the first front bumper available. Also, all will be sold to the same entity for distribution. 1968-70 AMX and Javelin prototype front bumpers have not been shipped or test fitted yet, but are in the works. 

There you go guys. This is why these are cheaper. Anyone singing the praises of this being cheaper than chroming needs to realize that the "chroming" being done in china isn't even close to the same level as a shop that charges $1000 to chrome your original stateside. Do you really think that Chinese chrome will hold up long term, or short term? The quality of work being done over there is absolutely categorically substandard. Want decent chrome, you will at the very least have to send the new Chinese bumper to a real chrome shop so that it will hold up to the elements. These should be considered straight cores at best, that is assuming that they managed to make a part that actually fits a car, a rarity from the Chinese to say the least.

Sorry but if anyone has example of Chinese chrome holding up outside for 5, or 10 years like OEM, let me know...I know I personally bought the $150 magnum 500 center caps the vendors sell, only to have them turn green and bubble in under a year...do you really think this bumper will be any different....

Posted By: target
Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 11:44am
Have some faith in AMD -and Mike Gray. I think they will be great!

Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 11:49am

Any news on this Topic? 

There you go guys. This is why these are cheaper. Anyone singing the praises of this being cheaper than chroming needs to realize that the "chroming" being done in china isn't even close to the same level as a shop that charges $1000 to chrome your original stateside. Do you really think that Chinese chrome will hold up long term, or short term? The quality of work being done over there is absolutely categorically substandard. Want decent chrome, you will at the very least have to send the new Chinese bumper to a real chrome shop so that it will hold up to the elements. These should be considered straight cores at best, that is assuming that they managed to make a part that actually fits a car, a rarity from the Chinese to say the least.

Sorry but if anyone has example of Chinese chrome holding up outside for 5, or 10 years like OEM, let me know...I know I personally bought the $150 magnum 500 center caps the vendors sell, only to have them turn green and bubble in under a year...do you really think this bumper will be any different....
Go to youtube.com, and type in Auto Metal Direct Bumper Factory and watch the process. I was assured that the bumpers will be better than the cars left the factory with, but not equal to high dollar show chrome. There is a lot of fine finishing work involved in show chrome.

There are great, state of the art manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, as well as junk facilities. It is no different than the U.S. in this regard. I don't think that it is fair to knock a product that you have not seen from a company that you don't really know. AMD, nor their bumper factory, had anything to do with the $150 Magnum 500 center caps. Have you never bought a bad product made in the U.S., like a Vega or Pinto?

Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 12:13pm
I am really sorry that I stared this whole thread now. An established, very reputable company spends an absolute ton of money on a state of the art manufacturing facility in Taiwan to make OEM quality bumpers for all types of old cars, like Camaros, Mustangs, Barracudas, etc. and gets wonderful reviews on line for their products.

Then they decide to take a chance on AMC bumpers, and the product gets hammered before it is ever seen due to someone's bad experience with center caps from possibly the same country, out of a different facility, and from a totally different company. I was hoping that the AMC community would be thrilled to have these available.

Posted By: typhooner
Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 12:28pm
I would have some thicker skin on this thread Sonic. It is only natural you will get skeptics when the China subject comes up. God knows every AMC guy and nearly every person in this country has had some dealings with inferior products from China. I have faith that any person who is an AMC enthusiast who would attempt to manufacture a part, whatever it may be, will do everything they can to provide a top level product. I personally reproduced 50 sets of the hood pins for SC/Ramblers recently, and can tell you that however simple the product seems, it was not simple to get the job done. It took me six months, and a handful of headaches to produce a product worthy of AMC concours judging. As far as the rest of AMC'ers go i would encourage them to "back off with the Chicken Little negative comments" until you see the product for yourselves.

-------------
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out

Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by typhooner typhooner wrote:

I would have some thicker skin on this thread Sonic. It is only natural you will get skeptics when the China subject comes up. God knows every AMC guy and nearly every person in this country has had some dealings with inferior products from China. I have faith that any person who is an AMC enthusiast who would attempt to manufacture a part, whatever it may be, will do everything they can to provide a top level product. I personally reproduced 50 sets of the hood pins for SC/Ramblers recently, and can tell you that however simple the product seems, it was not simple to get the job done. It took me six months, and a handful of headaches to produce a product worthy of AMC concours judging. As far as the rest of AMC'ers go i would encourage them to "back off with the Chicken Little negative comments" until you see the product for yourselves.
Thank you. I am sorry, but the owner of the company happens to be my best friend, and I know how particular he is. I have also known the Gray brothers, who work for him, for probably 25 years or more. The product will be worth the money. You cannot expect a $1,000 bumper for $300-400, or however much they will sell for.

Posted By: Ram Air Rick
Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 1:45pm
I'm in the column of have faith.

I've known the Gray brothers for many years myself, and know that if they are associated with something, that it will be done right and at a price point that makes sense.

Those two are two of my favorite AMCer's and I can honestly say that it's been my privilege to have had associations with them throughout the years.

I can understand the detractor's hesitations having been burned, but that can be applied to most countries of origin. You should also remember that the vendor that chose to carry the inferior part owns some of the responsibility.

Another thing to remember here is that AMD is heavy into servicing the Mopar market. Those guys don't tolerate crap parts, and they have the dollars to back their position.

Rich C.

Posted By: 343sharpstick
Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 2:38pm

I got that, I was referring to this "Latest news as of tonight is that the 68-74 rear bumper production has been shipped from the factory and is "on the water." That means a slow boat from China. All the bumpers have been sold to one person or business for distribution. AMD will not be selling them direct, but I would assume that the unnamed buyer will be advertising the rear bumpers shortly."

So while AMD is making them, they will not be selling 'em. So I was looking for the person or vendor that I need to be contacting.

I work for a big manufacturing corp. so I see stuff from all over the world, both purchased goods, and manufactured goods from our associates there. China Manufacturing can be ok IF the Quality control is done to keep them within spec.

I very much appreciate this information, and as soon as I can order one, I will.

Additionally I'll give an unbiased report on it's quality and long term durability. Be aware however that long term durability will only reflect quality based on the fact that my car sit's in the Garage 98% of the time    

Posted By: AMXFSTBK390
Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 2:54pm
[QUOTE=Ram Air Rick]
I'm in the column of have faith.

I'm with you on having faith. Rather than make a negative remark about something I have never seen, I went to the MOPAR forums to see what the members think of AMD bumpers. The members who purchased AMD bumpers like them. Some members who commented they had their original bumpers re-chromed by reputable USA big name chrome shops, said... if they had it to do over again they would purchase the AMD bumpers. One member said he had the front bumper re-chromed by Ogden, and the rear bumper is an AMD and he can't tell the difference in chrome quality.

-------------
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?

Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

I got that, I was referring to this "Latest news as of tonight is that the 68-74 rear bumper production has been shipped from the factory and is "on the water." That means a slow boat from China. All the bumpers have been sold to one person or business for distribution. AMD will not be selling them direct, but I would assume that the unnamed buyer will be advertising the rear bumpers shortly."

So while AMD is making them, they will not be selling 'em. So I was looking for the person or vendor that I need to be contacting.

I work for a big manufacturing corp. so I see stuff from all over the world, both purchased goods, and manufactured goods from our associates there. China Manufacturing can be ok IF the Quality control is done to keep them within spec.

I very much appreciate this information, and as soon as I can order one, I will.

Additionally I'll give an unbiased report on it's quality and long term durability. Be aware however that long term durability will only reflect quality based on the fact that my car sit's in the Garage 98% of the time    
Someone on here listed 3 sources for the bumpers earlier, however I was told by the owner of AMD a couple of nights ago that one person was buying them all. I don't know who the person or business is. For all I know, that buyer will resell them to the 3 listed.

I assumed that since the owner told me that Mike Gray made the deal, and that he (the owner)didn't know who the buyer was, that it wasn't for publication yet. Either that, or since AMD is such a large operation, he may not know or care who is buying them. That is a tiny fraction of their business. If I find out who is going to sell them, and get the okay to list the vendor or vendors, I will do so immediately.

Date Posted: Feb/18/2016 at 7:32pm
I've heard a lot of time and money went into creating these and that they will be very good parts like others have said. I look forward to seeing good quality parts for our cars...it will be a nice change!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 6:43am
China is like everythere, you get what you pay for... 
when you pay an reasonable Price, and enforce the Quality Control, you get a decent Product.
And a Company like AMD has a reputation to loose..
and everybody knows Gearheads talk Gossip like desperate Housewifes on Meetings..
so they wont come up with something made out of recycled PBR Cans and EbayRicerCrome.

PS I bet 98% type their posts on Computer Hardware made in china...

@SonicSilver  Alex did you hear anything about 1970s Front Bumpers?

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Date Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 9:17am

China is like everythere, you get what you pay for... 
when you pay an reasonable Price, and enforce the Quality Control, you get a decent Product.
And a Company like AMD has a reputation to loose..
and everybody knows Gearheads talk Gossip like desperate Housewifes on Meetings..
so they wont come up with something made out of recycled PBR Cans and EbayRicerCrome.

PS I bet 98% type their posts on Computer Hardware made in china...

@SonicSilver  Alex did you hear anything about 1970s Front Bumpers?

They have not yet received a prototype for test fitting. It will come, but I'm not sure when. I would assume this year, but I am guessing. They did the rear bumper first because it fit several years, and sales of it would be greater. That way, they get money back faster.

Posted By: jeremy0711
Date Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 5:02pm
Somebody correct me if I am wrong as I believe I have tried to fit one of these... Aren't the 68-69 rear bumpers different from the 70-74 rear bumpers. They have a different angle in the center bend. I was trying to follow this tread but it is way too long for me to read but I was reading 68-74 rear bumpers...

Posted By: Ram Air Rick
Date Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 6:02pm

Any news on this Topic? 

I wanted to add something here...

When we talk about chroming our old bumpers here, what we are really talking about is restoring the bumpers.  I'd liken this process more to restoring old body panels for new paint. Each panel has to be stripped of all old coatings (paints/primers etc.), straightened to some degree, then primed, body filler applied, straightened more through sanding, primed again, sealed and painted.

Re-chroming is similar... Part has to be stripped of all old chrome, nickle, copper etc.. Then it has to be straightened, copper applied like body filler, sanded straight, nickeled, chromed etc.. This might not be the exact process, but it's meant to show that there's a lot more to refinishing a bumper than meets the eye. I think most think that the bumper just gets dipped in chrome, and walla... All done and pretty.

My reason to point this out is this... Economy of scale can be achieved through new correct dies, making new stampings. If the stampings are good, then the process for finishing is much easier (less steps). 

Comparing making a new part that is chrome plated, to an old part that has to be refurbished, is not a real comparison at all. 

Show chrome, is not persey "special chrome", just like a show paint job isn't really necessarily special paint. It's generally the prep below the top coating that determine the overall quality.

My expectations for these bumpers is high, and I don't think I'll be disappointed. Great confidence in outcome here.

I'm thinking I'm going to pounce on these while they are available.

BTW.... ever take a close look at factory new bumpers back in the day? Not real impressive as far as straightness/smoothness , and that was across the board for all makes.  

Here's a shot of what original finish bumpers look like from back in the day...

Rich C.

Posted By: sidewinder
Date Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 9:48pm
I have had a few NOS bumpers and they don't hold a candle to what comes out of the chrome shops today.   I agree with Rick and can't wait to see these be available!!

Chuck Page

-------------
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by jeremy0711 jeremy0711 wrote:

Somebody correct me if I am wrong as I believe I have tried to fit one of these... Aren't the 68-69 rear bumpers different from the 70-74 rear bumpers. They have a different angle in the center bend. I was trying to follow this tread but it is way too long for me to read but I was reading 68-74 rear bumpers...

That's been said. I'm not sure it's true with regard to the center crease. The newer bumpers do have different size holes for the bumper bolts, than the 68-9's have.

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Posted By: hffej
Date Posted: Feb/20/2016 at 7:43am
Will there be any non-chromed paintable rear bumpers for the big bad cars?

-------------
69 BBB AMX   69 BBO Javelin

Date Posted: Feb/29/2016 at 8:55pm

Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

Someone on here listed 3 sources for the bumpers earlier, however I was told by the owner of AMD a couple of nights ago that one person was buying them all. I don't know who the person or business is. For all I know, that buyer will resell them to the 3 listed.

I assumed that since the owner told me that Mike Gray made the deal, and that he (the owner)didn't know who the buyer was, that it wasn't for publication yet. Either that, or since AMD is such a large operation, he may not know or care who is buying them. That is a tiny fraction of their business. If I find out who is going to sell them, and get the okay to list the vendor or vendors, I will do so immediately.
There will apparently be 3 vendors for the bumpers. The owner told me that they were not all sold to one individual as he said previously. I am guessing the three are the ones that someone mentioned earlier......the AMC guys.

Posted By: Steve_P
Date Posted: Feb/29/2016 at 9:21pm
a "show quality" replated bumper probably has 5X the nickel on it than any (not just AMC) OE bumper does; this is what gives that gorgeous "depth".  The factory AMC bumpers were ok but like other have said are nothing like a quality replated bumper.  The rear bumper on my 2009 Tacoma is about like the OE AMC bumpers - slightly better plating than what was on the 68-70 390 valve covers but nothing like you will get from a quality plating shop

Posted By: sweatlock
Date Posted: Mar/01/2016 at 6:40am
The Big 3 of AMC parts collaborate often to get big $$$ items to market. They do this to benefit the hobby and they've done it in the past with other items - it's encouraging to see competitors that are able to cooperate like this for the greater good. To me, that tells me that this is far more than simply a business for them and it's not all about just making money, although the latter obviously fuels it.

We're extremely fortunate to have them and I don't know what we'd do without them.

Date Posted: Mar/10/2016 at 7:57pm
I met with my friend who owns Auto Metal Direct yesterday in North Carolina to look at a car he was looking at to purchase. He said that they had just received some AMX/Javelin rear bumpers in shipment, so I would think that the vendors will be selling them very soon.

Date Posted: Mar/10/2016 at 8:38pm
Great news!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Mar/10/2016 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Coloradoamx Coloradoamx wrote:

Steve

As a cost comparison I just sent out a 1970 AMX front bumper to a well-known reputable outfit for show chrome and it's nearly $1,000 to have it done, and the bumper needs no straightening, just chrome.  Their non-show chrome is only $150 or so less.  So, if AMD is in the $300-400 range for a complete NEW bumper that's a fantastic deal.  

If the bumpers are over $250.00, I'll keep mine. And I don't see any difference in 71 bumpers over 74, which someone stated   in the 4th or 5th page. My front has a small twist on thr passenger side but that is not a problem to get straightened.

To have one guy buy all the bumpers, I bet he'll be making 100% profit by the time it shelves.

Like anything Chinese, within a year you probably can find some guy from China selling onezy twozy on certain sites at less thsn 1/2 cost.

Another thing, there is a standard for replacement body parts if they dont have CAPA certification, I would question what you pay for. Just my two cents.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Date Posted: Mar/10/2016 at 9:23pm
One guy isn't buying all the bumpers. I corrected that statement earlier.

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: Mar/10/2016 at 9:25pm

One guy isn't buying all the bumpers. I corrected that statement earlier.
Corrected.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Posted By: 348AMX
Date Posted: Mar/10/2016 at 11:09pm
there is a facebook link showing the front bumpers.....

Date Posted: Mar/11/2016 at 3:01am
And a 70s Version too yes....  Big smile  I´m gonna butcher my piggy Bank.

Not sure about "Drilling Molding Holes" after Plateing , wont that create an rust problem?

And all 6 Holes? 

Like anything Chinese, within a year you probably can find some guy from China selling onezy twozy on certain sites at less thsn 1/2 cost.

Thats the Problem that keeps quality away...

-------------
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360

Posted By: raysinvegas
Date Posted: Mar/11/2016 at 8:08am

Not sure about "Drilling Molding Holes" after Plateing , wont that create an rust problem?

And all 6 Holes? 

I hope there's some kind of template available?

-------------
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net