Print Page | Close Window

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64408
Printed Date: Apr/18/2024 at 6:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: '69 Javelin SST on Budget
Posted By: Red20
Subject: '69 Javelin SST on Budget
Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 7:47am
I've got a few threads about this build, but it's time to consolidate into a build thread now as I get ready to actually get some serious work done and get her back on the road.

The story:
I've long been an AMC fan owning a couple of Full Size Jeeps and a CJ8. My daily driver is a J20 with a lightly worked over 360. I've always dreamed of owning a '68/'69 Javelin (or possibly a '70). Now, I'm a US Marine stationed in Hawaii, which is a terrible place to have a vehicle. They tend to self destruct out here and return slowly to the earth in a heap of rust and crushed dreams. That said, this is the last place I wanted to come across my very own 1969 AMC Javelin SST. However, the AMC gods were smiling on me and a leisurely Craigslist browsing session turned up just that only 25 minutes away.

So my yellow, black vinyl top, black interior '69 Javelin SST with only 18k original, well documented miles was had for a quick chat and $2,000 cash. It is 99% original with a 2v 290 and automatic transmission. I'm the third owner. And the guy I bought it from had it parked for the last 20 years up on jack stands and under a car cover and awning. The only thing that's ever been done to it other than basic maintenance is the addition of some 15" chrome rims, wood accented GT steering wheel, and dual exhaust.

I had a rebuilt 360 long block with 35k miles on it that I picked up for cheap already in the garage, so I decided that would be a nice swap that would be a little more fun than the 290, so that was slated for the Javelin. Then I learned about the crank flange differences between Gen2 and Gen3 AMC engines and was advised that the aluminum Borg-Warner behind the 290 wouldn't likely last long behind the 360 anyway if I got a little too froggy. So, the search has been ongoing for a 2WD TF727 for over a year and not a one has turned up in Hawaii. I managed to grab 2 TH350s for $150, so I decided I'd go that route and have a backup for parts. The one I'm using was supposedly in a '70 Firebird, had been rebuilt "recently" and was solid. The other is a BOP pattern so it won't bolt up with a Novak adapter anyway.

The interior of this car is fantastic! It's nearly perfect and not a piece is missing, cracked, worn, etc.

Here's where I'm at so far with this ---

Currently:
Engine - 360, .060 over, stock crank, stock heads milled for roller rockers with mild exhaust porting,
Edelbrock Performer Plus cam (already had it), Comp Cams timing set, Harland Sharp roller rockers.

Transmission - TH350, B&M shift reprogrammer kit, B&M Quicksilver shifter(installed in car)

The plan:
Professional Products Powerjection III
MSD 6 (from my J20. Putting a Pertronix dizzy w/Ignitor III I already have in it)
MSD 8519 distributor (locked out with phaseable rotor for ignition control by PJ III)
MSD wires
MSD Blaster 2 coil
Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap manifold
Aeromotive Phantom in tank fuel pump with built in sump (looks to be awesome)
All new new quality fuel lines
Champion aluminum radiator (run one already in the J20. It's solid.)
Stock replacement engine accessories
Stock rebuild of suspension and brakes (for now...)
ADDCO sway bars front and rear
New tires
Novak Adapter for TH350
Yoke for TH350 (junkyard hopefully)
Resized or new driveshaft
Clean and paint engine bay
Clean and paint engine/tranny
Fresh gear oil in rearend
Lots of bulbs and fuses

I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Please, please give me your thoughts.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PicSayPro_AMCJavelin-enhanced_1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/IMAG1262.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/35E5DB5D-3DF5-4A84-8705-596EFFC19950.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER

Replies:
Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 8:05am
So, I know I'm calling this a "budget build" but am planning to do an EFI system for quite a bit more than a carb. The thing is, I happen to be getting a bonus this year, so a have a little extra to play with. I originally just needed to get it running and driving with a safety inspection to just get it off of the island when I leave in January. But having that 360 got me going and thinking and the plan grew a little. I was torn between spending my extra infusion of $$$ on either significant suspension and brake upgrades and running a carb OR taking a big leap to fuel injection and rebuilding the stock suspension. It came down to shipping to Hawaii. Having suspension and brake parts shipped out here was gonna be somewhat cost prohibitive.

I suppose I should mention my overall vision and goal for the car to bring everything into perspective. I plan on building a solid daily driver/tourer. My aim is to keep it very close to original in exterior and interior appearance, but build a car that runs and handles much like a modern sports car. The only stipulation is that I will NOT put anything other than an AMC engine under the hood. So as "modern performance" as I can achieve with an old, iron AMC block. Eventually I'll be upgrading to aluminum heads and doing a cam swap, etc. And I'm really wanting to install Nick Alfano's front suspension setup with brake upgrades and the rear setup too when he finishes developing and releases it. I'll also eventually be replacing or removing the vinyl top and reprinting the original Matador Red.

-------------

Posted By: fast401
Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 8:14am
Add a set of free flow exhaust manifolds and massage them a little bit.  Looks like a nice project to me!!!!

-------------
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 8:45am
Looks nice. Nice project so far.

If the goal is a reliable daily drive then EFI is a nice option to consider. Keep in mind that the return on investment could be questionable in my opinion. My main reason for going EFI was to get the experience of installing and working with EFI. That and a year long fight with a brand new carburetor that in the end turned out to be defective right from the manufacturer. A good quality electronic ignition system along with a well tuned carburetor would be a better investment for a budget build. Again, just my opinion.

I used the MSD Atomic EFI since it was one of the simplest to install and took the least amount of effort to get dialed in. If your going for a first time experience with EFI I would recommend it. If your going to be trying some hard core tuning then I would suggest you look at some of the other systems that are out there. 

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 9:03am
I do like the looks of the MSD Atomic, but it lacks some if the advanced tuning capability I'd like to at least have the option of digging into over time. That's one if the main reasons I'm looking to give the PJ III a shot. It's a closed loop "self tuning" system like the Atomic and several others, but the laptop software option gives quite a lot of tuneability. And it can control timing with a 2-wire mag pickup dizzy like the MSD 8519. My understanding after reading the MSD Atomic manual is that it can only control timing with a GM computer controlled dizzy or Ford TFI dizzy. I may be confusing that with another product as I've been doing nonstop research for months. I could, of course, go with MSD's programmable 6 box and program timing curves with it, but that with the Atomic is a $3,000 expense. The PJ III is around $1,600 and I already have an MSD 6A box.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 9:06am
Speaking of free flow manifolds and headers, I cannot for the life of me figure out what will actually fit without issues. Considering the fact I'm putting a Gen3 engine with stock heads in a '69 big body car, what will clear everything?

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 9:18am
Josh,

Sounds like you have done you homework on the EFI. As a point of reference the MSD will control timing with a 8519 or 8523 dizzy and a 6AL box. Good luck with your project.

-------------

Posted By: amxmachine
Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 9:41am
You got a great deal on that one.

Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 6:26pm
Oh yeah, I was simultaneously thrilled and disappointed to be trying to work on this thing in Hawaii with limited parts availability and exorbitant shipping costs. It was a deal I just couldn't pass up though.

I have the original sales contract, warranty info, manual, and dealer maintenance schedule booklet. The original owner used the maintenance booklet and had the maintenance done at the dealership through 16k miles. It was sold to and eventually stored by the guy I purchased it from. Odometer reads just over 18k. I have no reason to believe it has rolled over as it's VERY original and in fantastic shape. Certainly doesn't have the wear and tear of even a well maintained 118k mile car. And the guy I bought from is a collector and says he never really drove it much.

-------------

Posted By: cjr1985car
Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 8:47pm
Like the efi direction.

-Colton

Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 9:19pm
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed tinkering with carbs and there's just something about a muscle car with a Holley... However, these days the aftermarket is making it easier and easier to add the modern reliability of electronically controlled fuel delivery and spark control to our beloved, old iron blocks. And with simple handhelds and more user friendly computer tuning software, most any backyard mechanic with a good understanding of what's going on inside a combustion engine can apply that knowledge to EFI tuning and succeed. At least that's what they say. I'm hoping to test that out myself very soon!

-------------

Posted By: Zioamc
Date Posted: Oct/13/2014 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

Speaking of free flow manifolds and headers, I cannot for the life of me figure out what will actually fit without issues. Considering the fact I'm putting a Gen3 engine with stock heads in a '69 big body car, what will clear everything?
got free flows on my 68 javelin and have no issues at all...........have fun with it nice car to start with

-------------
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....

Date Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 5:38pm
Manifolds are gonna be expensive to have shipped out to Hawaii... I was hoping some headers I can get on Amazon in a bigger order for better shipping would work out.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 11:23pm
Ok, question about water pumps:

I'm moving over all of my bracketry from the 290 that was in the Javelin to the 360 in order to maintain the A/C the car had from the factory.  That said, I need to order a water pump.  There were different lengths through the years, yes?  In that case, has anyone had any luck with a particular brand pump for a Gen2 AMC engine?  I've read about all kinds of issues with aftermarket water pumps for our cars.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 11:58pm

In the interest of getting back to the budget part of the budget build, I'm looking at what to do for exhaust.  A $700 set of ceramic coated headers is out of the question.  There is a guy with a cleaned up a painted set of free flow manifolds for sell on EBay that I'm considering.  And just today I came across Patriot Exhaust, part of Pertronix.  I notice they have a set of headers called Clippster Headers that appear to dump out right at the stock locations.  My exhaust appears to be in good shape, so I could give those a try and not have to do to much work to the downpipes.  Anyone have experience with these? - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8600/overview/year/1969/make/american-motors/model/javelin" rel="nofollow - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8600/overview/year/1969/make/american-motors/model/javelin

Note:  I looked through the footnotes on these in their catalog and verified they are dog leg headers.  Pictures don't always match the product.  And since they come up as an option for a '69 Javelin, I had to be sure.  The ceramic coated ones go for $425.97 on Summit. 

-------------

Posted By: 232jav3sp
Date Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 11:18am
Any rust?  Doesn't look like it has much, if any.  Makes me jealous, lol.

Posted By: THE MENACE
Date Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 11:33am

In the interest of getting back to the budget part of the budget build, I'm looking at what to do for exhaust.  A $700 set of ceramic coated headers is out of the question.  There is a guy with a cleaned up a painted set of free flow manifolds for sell on EBay that I'm considering.  And just today I came across Patriot Exhaust, part of Pertronix.  I notice they have a set of headers called Clippster Headers that appear to dump out right at the stock locations.  My exhaust appears to be in good shape, so I could give those a try and not have to do to much work to the downpipes.  Anyone have experience with these? - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8600/overview/year/1969/make/american-motors/model/javelin" rel="nofollow - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8600/overview/year/1969/make/american-motors/model/javelin

Note:  I looked through the footnotes on these in their catalog and verified they are dog leg headers.  Pictures don't always match the product.  And since they come up as an option for a '69 Javelin, I had to be sure.  The ceramic coated ones go for $425.97 on Summit. 

The Patriot Exhaust headers (above) dump in the exact same place as the free flow manifolds and will fit the Javelin chassis with no problem!

Dennis 

-------------
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.

Date Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 9:13pm
It's fairly rust free, especially since it's been in Hawaii for the last 25 years.  The hood is rusting through the paint and there is some light surface rust on the rear chrome bumper.  Otherwise it's extremely solid.

Does anyone run 235/60R15 front and rear?  I just ordered a set and from all of the google image and theamcforum research I've done, I think I'll like them. 

I also just made a large order last night of parts to button up the engine and fuel system.  I still need to pick up an MSD 6 series box, Quick Fuel QFI system, all new brake parts, water pump and other accessories, and lots of other odds and ends.  I was gonna go all out on the suspension as well, but have just decided to replace all of the bushings and possibly rebuild the trunnions and install ADDCO sway bars front and rear.  That should keep me satisfied for the time being.

Anyone have any info on water pumps?  I'm putting all of the 290 bracketry and accessories on the 360.

Also, any advice on rebuilding the brake system?  I have drums all around they're all frozen up solid.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 7:05pm
You are darn lucky. I just got finished swapping over the driver's side frame rail/inner fender/fender trough from my parts car to my personal car, due to rot in the frame....

Far as the brakes are concerned; new wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, possibly adjusters, have the drums turned if necessary (sometimes just deglazing with sand paper is all they need), and replace any brake lines necessary. The master is probably toast from sitting all these years with stagnant fluid in it. Have you given any thought to front disc?

Date Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 7:23pm
I would really like to do front disc brakes. I've read up on it in the past. Do you know of anywhere I can get a list of part numbers for everything I need to order from the parts store? I don't think I'll be finding much in the way of donor vehicles out here. I can fabricate caliper mounts if I need to. My understanding is that I'll need new hubs assemblies, calipers, and rotors plus a different master cylinder and maybe an adjustable proportioning valve.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 9:19pm
Several of us have used the front disc conversion offered by Scarbird. It's only a caliper bracket that bolts to the knuckle in place of the drum's backing plate, but, it gives you an list of everything you need to convert to disc. It uses Toyota Privia rotors, GM calipers, pads and hoses. You will have to get the O.D. of the stock hubs turned down to fit inside the rotors, and you will need to drill out the wheel stud holes in the rotors so they will go over the studs. Or, you can get the hubs that Scarbird sells that fit the Privia rotors. Those hubs cost about $175 (IIRC), so it may be cheaper to have the factory hubs turned down.

^^^All of that is from memory^^^ I may have left something out.

I have the Scarbird brackets, and have the new calipers and rotors. Just not to the point of re-assembling the front end yet, so I cannot offer you anymore advice then I have.

Date Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 11:29pm
I got a new set of Cooper Cobra G/Ts, RPM Air-Gap manifold, Aeromotive Phantom 340 fuel pump kit, Russell Twist-Lok hose, and a bunch of fittings in the mail today!

So the balancer and crank pulley from the 360 I'm building is a 3 bolt and the same height pulley as well. So, I should be able to move the rest of the brackets and accessories over from the 290 to keep the A/C factory A/C. As for the rest of the A/C components, that'll have to come later down the road. At least I'll have the compressor in place.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/254EDBF0-934C-4DBB-9660-B3B668760BD6.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

I dropped the gas tank this evening, which was FULL. I know for a fact no one has put gas in it since it was parked in 1991 or so. Man, that gas looks BAD! It's solid brown and the smell will knock you out. I pulled the sending unit and ran a finger around inside and it was just covered in crumbly varnish residue. The float was no where to be found. Looks to have just dissentagrated over time.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D0755C16-8BBA-4F8E-83CC-C74545A17BB7_1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 11:44pm
Don't you just love when Christmas comes early?? Lol. Could be worse, that could have been ethanol gas! Give me good ole fashioned gasoline any day. And, yes, the float will be eaten by that old, rotten turpentine.

Date Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 11:51pm
So is it worth having the tank cleaned by a radiator shop or somewhere that'll do it? Or should I find a new tank and have it shipped to Hawaii. I have no idea. I'm considering filling this tank with water and cutting an access panel out of the top of the tank so I can get in there to scrape it out. I should probably wait until it dries out some first. I'm just itching to install this Phantom pump and start routing hoses ASAP. I'm feeling the time crunch, needing to have this car in a good running driving state by Christmas.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 11:54pm
Heck, I could even cut the tank in half using the middle seam as a guide for the plasma torch. I've done it before, but it really sucks stitch welding a whole tank back together. That's always been a last resort job. But it's been my last resort before...

-------------

Posted By: 70 Donohue 390
Date Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 12:32am
Take the tank to a radiator shop and get it boiled out. Then buy a tank re-new kit from Eastwood and you'll be fine. Did it years ago and no problems since.

-------------
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction

Date Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 1:06am
Thanks, Donohue. I'll probably do just that. There are repros to be had, but for $350 plus shipping to Hawaii, no thanks.

Gotta love opening the front door to a new set of tires.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1AF3AA81-A635-412B-BC19-749D3CEE8665.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/13C1E538-CF17-4203-9FD0-17EAB9BB5607.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Here's the intake sitting on the engine with the carb I'll be using to break in the cam before installing the Quick Fuel Injection system. It's a Holley Street Avenger 770, so it's a bit much, but it's already tuned to run pretty well on a 360, so I'm sure it'll be fine to break in the cam for 30 minutes or so.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C3C0379B-27A4-4056-A10B-BE232EAB35F8.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 3:48pm
The price on a new tank is crazy expensive. Especially when you have to save the filler neck from the old tank and braze it on to the new one. The tank from my car was trash. Too much rot and too many holes. Got lucky that my parts car had a very nice tank. Just have a rad shop stem it clean and reseal it.

Engine looks good. So you decided to go EFI?   

Date Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 4:08pm
Yeah, I'm doing the Quick Fuel QFI. I looked at MSD Atomic, FAST EZ-EFI 2.0, Edelbrock E-Street, Holley Avenger/HP, Professional Products Powerjection III, Howell's GM TBI, Megasquirt, etc. The QFI has most of the features I want. It has a handheld setup/tuner for getting a good base map to start with. It's a closed loop learning system. It will control timing. It uses OEM sensors, and Quick Fuel provides all of the part numbers for replacement parts should you need to run in to a parts house on a road trip. So much better than proprietary stuff. And you can hook up a laptop and do a lot more tuning through their dashboard software. It will also run E85, not really a requirement for me, but an option down the road. Reviews say that due to the carb like idle circuit and fuel/air routing, it seems to have snappier throttle response. I look forward to tuning and working out the kinks.

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 7:24pm
Should work well. I'm still kicking around carb or EFI for mine.

Date Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 7:41pm
Got some polished aluminum valve covers in the mail today. There's a finned air cleaner that matches it on the way too. Here's where I abandoned the "budget build" and just started ordering stuff.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6ACB1A8D-710B-4DAC-9403-D6F1DB1BC123.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 3:47pm
What do we think about this Hurst "slap shifter" for the Javelin???

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/pts/4716656216.html

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm tempted...

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 2:31am
I'm digging this air cleaner.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 8:25am
I like it because it's finned like the valve covers.

Posted By: allstarAMC
Date Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 11:28am
I love the "daily driver" discussion. Few cars actually are just that. The recent Hot Rod Power Tour my son and I were on was a fantastic spectacle and highlighted just how few cars can make trips of 2000 mile round trip. (remember you have to drive back home). 
   The goal of several current projects in the AMC world is to create cars that can survive the real world. 
It is not as hard as you think but the practicalities of creating that car become important.
Ideas: keep it simple.  No one runs big cams on the street. Noisy mufflers are for show.
          Get a nice radio. The stock one in your car will not make you happy.
          Trunnions work just fine. The front suspensions is potentially nice but what do you gain for a street driven car?
Your AC must work. Get a Sanden compressor and work possibly with Vintage Air
You need better handling and looks then invest in nice 17" rims and some better rated tires.
Don't do headers. Port and jet hot coat the freeflows.  The look great and Your friends will be able to hear the radio...
Hmmm,  .060 is a big overbore. You may run hot... try an aluminum radiator upgrade and an electric fan.
No one runs old wiring. Consider the M&H or rewire the car completely. This is common at the AMO show in South Carolina. Solves many reliability issues.
EFI is fine. It's high dollar for a budget build. Also, in Hawaii you don't need a choke.. carbs should work fine. and are way cheaper.
My 2 cents.

Date Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 11:13pm
allstarAMC, that's some great advice! Thanks a ton. Yeah, I'm wondering about that 4.14 bore. I have a nice aluminum radiator waiting to go in it, and I'm considering a high dollar water pump as well. I'll probably run a stock replacement for now and see how it does.

The guy that had the engine before me put about 30k miles on it in a CJ7 before doing a 350/700R4 swap. I got it from his friend, so I didn't get to talk to him about it. It was VERY clean. No metal in the pan and the bores all look great. I didn't pull a cap, but I feel pretty good about it.

I was gonna buy a rebuilt wiring harness specific to the car, but most were concourse exact harnesses. I don't really need that kind of detail. As long as it looks like a Javelin inside and out and has an AMC engine in it (I AM putting a 360 in a '69!), I'm good with originality. That said, I picked up a Rebel Wire universal harness that should get it done. Lights, engine, radio, A/C. Gauges, I'll deal with as I go and run a cheap 3 gauge set under the dash for now to make sure my temp and oil pressure are where they should be. Come to think of it, I'll have a lot of that on the handheld for the EFI.

And on the EFI subject, it is quite an investment for a "budget" build. Maybe I should call it budget+. I like the driveability aspect assuming everything else is up to par mechanically. I've been drooling over the aftermarket TBI systems for a long while and was wanting one in my J20 for that off camber stuff on the trail. This car came up and I knew this was a chance to finally play with EFI. How I convinced my wife it was necessary, I don't know...

My next big step right now is getting that gas tank cleaned out and sealed and the Phantom sump and pump dropped in. Then fuel lines, brakes, wiring, front end of the engine, Novak adapter for the TH350 I built, break in cam, QFI EFI, rebuild rearend, crossmember, driveshaft, etc., etc...

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 11:26pm
Also, cam is an Edelbrock Performer Plus. Good low end and makes 17-19 lbs at idle in the 360 in my truck at 16* base timing plus vacuum advance (manifold) which puts it at about 21* at 750 RPM. I'm running mech advance stops that limit me to another 16*. Starts coming in around 1300 rpm and is all in by 2600 rpm. Very streetable with plenty of pep in the standard bore 360 with Edelbrock Performer cam and intake. This .060 over 360 with the same cam, RPM Air-Gap intake, roller rockers, Patriot shorty headers, and well tuned EFI in a much lighter vehicle should be equally streetable and a LOT more fun.

Good idea on the electric fans, btw.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 7:32am
You know its the same with me. I know its going to cost some money but we let the wife know its a "budget build"!
Your car will be fun!

Date Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 3:19am
In the bottom of the oil pan.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB92553C-19FD-4EF5-9C98-0C209C5BFB79_1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

So does this look like cam, bearings, or something else? Looks to me kind of like a cam losing a little lift. Man, should I pull some bearing caps?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 3:27am
Here's a look at the driver side Patriot Exhaust Clippster ceramic coated header. They are made to bolt right up to stock exhaust systems. I'm thinking my 2" exhaust is gonna be my major flow restriction. That and the stock heads. They've head a little exhaust side work and I'm gonna port match at least.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0027BAD9-1547-4648-A5EF-7C6040B73DE1_1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 3:32am
Took the shiny stuff back off today in favor of a bunch of old parts and the timing cover I'll be using. Sealed everything up, soaked in degreaser and took a trip to the quarter car wash to knock off 45 years of grime from the cover and brackets and get the block cleaned up too.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/F147E526-02E3-4463-9BC4-9434759EE3D4.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

This is only a little scratch, but when I hit my toe point blank with the pressure washer, I thought for a second I had cut it clean off.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9E28FD65-AABD-4FCE-A26A-8CE6E21753BB.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 3:35am
I'm not lucky enough to have a gauge set with a tach, so I'm trying to decide where to put one without hacking up the interior. I mocked up my new Sunpro tach on the column, and I think I like it alright. I can't see past 90 on the speedometer, but that's probably a good thing.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5547E060-465F-4BE3-8679-433A8B611322_1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 8:21am
Pull the distributor first. Keep it simple. Looks like gear shearing..
Happens a lot.

Date Posted: Nov/09/2014 at 6:02pm
The distributor's been out since I pulled this motor apart a year ago. I've installed a new cam and lifters, machined the heads for Harland Sharp roller rockers, installed and set preload on rockers. The only thing I haven't pulled is the bottom end. I've been busy with other tasks, so this was the first time finally draining and pulling the oil pan. I'm gonna go take a close look at the dizzy and cam that were in it. The gears are probably in my bin of old gears now with several other sets. I do remember them being worn and swapping them with another set when the plan was to just run the engine as is in my truck.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/10/2014 at 10:43pm
Got the first coat of paint on the engine this evening after cleaning and priming yesterday. Turns out I didn't get things sealed up well enough for the pressure washing I did, and I had a little water in the engine. So I spent a good while pulling it apart and draining it. Then I liberally rinsed everything with WD-40. I pulled the cam and lifters and wiped them off then reinstalled with PLENTY of assembly lube. I coated the timing chain and gears with assembly lube as well. Then I reinstalled rockers and adjusted the lifter preload. I also managed today to replace the crankshaft front seal and put the new one in backwards. I was able to gently and painstakingly drive it back out and reinstall it no worse for the wear. We'll see if it leaks or not.

While I was working, my buddy Chris cleaned up and painted the engine bay for me. He also pulled all of the brake parts forward of the firewall. I told him to go ahead and cut out the stubborn lines, so I'm now fully committed to rebuilding the whole brake system. It's just as well since I'm upgrading to front discs anyway.

Tomorrow, hopefully I can put on another coat or two of paint in the morning, and by evening I should be installing the intake manifold. I need to finish cleaning up the accessory brackets and get some primer on them as well. I haven't decided on whether to paint everything in concourse correct colors or just shoot all of the brackets and pulleys in black primer. I'm not really looking for a show car. I just really wanted to open the hood to an Alamosa Aqua AMC engine.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/10/2014 at 10:46pm
Two questions:

1. I don't currently have an electrical schematic for the car. Can anyone tell me what these two boxes that were on the passenger side fender well are?
http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/B54CF8EB-84E4-4B70-B8BF-2BB9523D79EB_2.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/02A6CA4B-C744-4419-BDC7-3A23143FA9C6_2.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

2. Any advice on cleaning a fuel tank? I was thinking wood bleach from the hardware store might eat and loosen up the remnants of 20 years of a full tank of gas. The only radiator shop on Oahu who will clean it wants $300 to do it.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/10/2014 at 11:09pm
Aha! I'll be using an internally regulated alternator and the new wiring harness I'm using has a horn relay, so it looks like these are heading to the spare parts bin. Thanks!!!

-------------

Posted By: brownspirit
Date Posted: Nov/10/2014 at 11:12pm
As far as I remember the larger box is a voltage regulator, and the smaller one is a horn relay. Sounds like your making good progress, keep it up! Andy

-------------
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4

Date Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 3:08pm
You discussed a new harness. I would strongly urge you go with the internally regulated alternator with your car. For what you are doing it is trouble free... thus the voltage regulator goes in the box for the next swap meet and not on your car! That horn relay just needs to be prettier!!  gold paint...

Date Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 3:18pm
I'm gonna have to see if the alternator on my '85 J20 has the same pulley spacing so that the pulleys will be lined up, then I can just pick one of those up.

Anyone know the full current output of the stock alternator on a '69 Javelin with A/C and electric sunroof? Just kidding about the sunroof! That would be hideous.

As for the horn relay, maybe I will clean it up and keep it. The harness I'm using does include a horn relay and wiring though.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 3:20pm
Will anyone be mad at me if I paint my diff cover Alamosa Aqua? I know it's not the correct color, but I think it would be cool.

-------------

Posted By: GnipGnop4
Date Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 8:43pm
I'm a big fan of Alamosa Aqua. Hey, are you still searching for a fuel tank? I have a used but clean one that I was going to put in my '69 AMX. It was cleaned out by a radiator shop a couple months ago. No holes and It has a filler neck, too. I bought a repro instead. PM me if you're interested. I'm in CA, so UPS won't be too $$$.

My Project:

http://s905.photobucket.com/user/rtwelther/media/AMX%20Project/2b986dc5670a4114f490b4b5a2521c22_zps2564a896.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 10:26pm
You certainly do like Alamosa Aqua! That's gonna be a sweet looking car. I've been painting parts on the tailgate of my J20 today, so it's half blue now. I was thinking about how cool the truck would look in that color.

PM sent about the tank, thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 10:36pm
Here's a teaser of the engine with the shiny stuff sitting on top.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ED2342A1-CB21-4159-ABED-50240D2D6948.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Ignore the water pump. It'll be an aluminum pump and match the intake manifold.

Here are some other bits and pieces I painted too.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D90F3828-2171-42C8-B8CA-8340C00FDA39.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Ignore the fuel pump this time. It'll be blocked off after breaking in the cam with the carb and dropping on the EFI.

I tried electrolysis rust removal for the first time today on the throttle/kickdown bracket. It had some old AMC blue paint and plenty of rust on it. I set up a positive coil of wire inside a bucket of sodium carbonate solution with a negative element wire suspending the bracket in the middle for about 4 hours. Worked great. I took it out and the rust was mostly gone. The paint was softened considerably and scraped off easily. Cleaned it up with a wire wheel, primed and painted it.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5E7010FA-54E2-4A69-9137-F8AB75E9B793.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

The water started out clear, btw.

Here it is painted. Notice I had to enlarge the kickdown cable hole to fit the cable end for the TH350.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0C3DEC3A-FC39-4443-A8C8-E575C84281B9.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/11/2014 at 10:39pm
I can never paint parts without finding something else that I spontaneously decide needs a color change. Water bottle.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/83F32138-5139-4839-8ABC-C3326A3D7169.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/12/2014 at 1:52pm
If you go with the Edelbrock aluminum water pump, this is the bypass hose that fits. Stock hose isn't the correct diameter.

http://s905.photobucket.com/user/rtwelther/media/c0db87cc1b65711c45420e16b0865a31_zps4706fdae.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Nov/12/2014 at 1:57pm
Sorry...Dayco brand hose from Pep Boys.

Date Posted: Nov/12/2014 at 3:40pm
I just tried the AR5100 rust remover from ARCHOIL.  Worked awesome!  Cost more then the route you went, I'm sure, lol.  

Date Posted: Nov/12/2014 at 3:56pm
Yeah probably, lol. I payed about $3 for washing soda and the rest I had.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/12/2014 at 6:11pm
Yeah, 52 bucks for a quart of AR5100. Makes 4 gallons though. I did clean a heck of a lot with it before it went inert. Works pretty quick, too!

Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: Nov/12/2014 at 7:04pm
Looks great. Nice!

Date Posted: Nov/12/2014 at 9:23pm
Thanks! I sure hope this thing is all put together and running by Christmas. Pretty or not, if I don't get it moving and stopping under it's own power, I'm gonna be in a bind since I'm moving back to the lower 48 from Hawaii then. I can't afford to try to ship it as freight. It's gotta be a driver.

Anyone wanna take a Christmas trip to Hawaii to work on a car with me?

-------------

Posted By: 73jav
Date Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 8:32am
Man I wish I could get time off work, I would be there in a heart beat.

Date Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 10:28am
Looks like you are rolling along pretty good to.  I think it's very doable for you to have it driving by then.

Date Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 10:33am
Oh, I know I'll get it done. I'm just gonna be exhausted doing it. I'll quit my whining now. Offer still stands if anyone wants to vacation in Hawaii and stop by to give me a hand.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/18/2014 at 6:21pm
Does anyone know if 10" x 1 3/4" drums and shoes from a later model AMC/Jeep will fit a '69 Javelin with 10" drums rear? I'm finding VERY few options for replacing the drums and shoes on the rear if the Javelin.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/18/2014 at 6:31pm
I'm wondering if this will fit the Javelin.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/56215_904.htm

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/03/2014 at 12:18am
Nevermind. I forgot Jeeps were the wider bolt pattern.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 5:09am
I'm getting close to having all of the parts I need to blast through this build. I got a few more things in the mail this past week like the Novak adapter for the GM transmission, Scarebird front disc conversion parts, Quick Fuel QFI, Edelbrock water pump, other brake parts, etc...

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FD813C62-BCDB-4658-AEE6-6B9E279BF17E.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1E2E587D-5CB0-4449-8F22-0DB5633B4983.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/14D13B51-7FFA-4F28-9ED9-3EF27396B945.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 6:25pm
Lucky dog... I've been welding and grinding.

Date Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 6:34pm
I'm fortunate to have found a very solid car to start with. As exciting and challenging as a full rotisserie build is, I'm happy just redoing brakes, suspension, engine, tranny, etc. and just leaving the body and interior as is. Yours is gonna be some sweet car when it's done, though.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 7:16pm
Mine's not a rotisserie. I wish I had one though, because my body is getting beat up working on the floor. Typical east coast car. How does you car look as she sits?

Date Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 7:28pm
When I bought it over a year ago, it was super clean. There was a light dusting of rust on the rear chrome bumper and some minor paint cracking on the hood. Even the vinyl top was in fantastic shape.

I've been deployed twice and haven't gotten too far on it since then. Since I've had it, I had to junk the dry rotting car cover that was on it and didn't get around to buying another. The hood turned out to be pretty rusty underneath the under structure. Now the vinyl top is starting to crack. And I'm noticing one or two small paint bubbles in a quarter panel. I really should have taken better care of it, but all in all, it's super solid given its age. It's 99.9% original with only 18k miles.

-------------

Posted By: SnakePlissken
Date Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 8:19pm
Subbing

-------------
1976 Matador & 1972 Gremlin

Date Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 9:49pm

When I bought it over a year ago, it was super clean. There was a light dusting of rust on the rear chrome bumper and some minor paint cracking on the hood. Even the vinyl top was in fantastic shape.

I've been deployed twice and haven't gotten too far on it since then. Since I've had it, I had to junk the dry rotting car cover that was on it and didn't get around to buying another. The hood turned out to be pretty rusty underneath the under structure. Now the vinyl top is starting to crack. And I'm noticing one or two small paint bubbles in a quarter panel. I really should have taken better care of it, but all in all, it's super solid given its age. It's 99.9% original with only 18k miles.

No question, you have one solid car! I just swallowed hard and bought a blast cabinet the other day. Now I can get a lot done a lot faster.

Date Posted: Dec/14/2014 at 4:38pm
Very nice install on the proportioning valve. Did you make the lines!
Sweet!

Posted By: THE STING
Date Posted: Dec/14/2014 at 5:20pm
Nice car and build...keep up the good work.

Date Posted: Dec/14/2014 at 5:43pm
Oh no! That's a pre-made bracket and line kit made by Wilwood. It's PN: 260-13190 and includes the combo/proportioning valve.

Since I ripped out all of the hard lines and am going back with discs in front, I just decided to start fresh. It'll have a drum booster since the bracket is set up for one, but the master cylinder is an aluminum Wilwood one. Then the lines will run through the combo valve. It has two outputs for front left and right and a rear output run through the prop valve. The flex lines will all be in the same location as stock. The only thing I won't have is the stock brake pressure differential valve. I'm still considering using only one output on the Wilwood unit and splitting front left and right through the stock pressure diff valve if it's still functioning. Good used ones are available too.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 8:21am
Ok, I made things hard on myself and could use a little help. I bolted down the new water pump, timing cover, intake manifold, and valve covers today then started to mock up the accessories. The problem is, I have brackets and bolts from 2 different engines all mixed together into various trays and boxes.

The TSM is only moderately helpful in terms of diagrams for how all of the brackets mount on the engine. I'm hoping to go back with all of the original brackets from the 290 that came out of the car. The 360 I'm building is a 3 bolt crank pulley as well so they should all work. Unfortunately all of the nice pictures I took of disassembly are on an iPad that I lost recently.

Does anyone have good pictures of assembly of the front end of an A/C car?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 11:32pm
So I typed that last post this morning around 4:45 after being in the garage all night. I was a bit delirious to say the least. I have since consulted my AMC passenger cars illustrated pars catalogue and google image search and have the tools I need to sort out this complicated puzzle. If anyone has some detailed pictures it would certainly be helpful though.

And just for fun, here's a picture of where I'm at currently with this engine.
http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/15C27F93-0151-4D87-82AE-9B307B709C15.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Once I get the bracketry all mocked up, I can pull it off again for sandblasting and painting. I'm thinking of doing the brackets all in silver to match the intake manifold and water pump and the pulleys black. I may do all bolt heads in the same blue as the engine. I'm so tempted at this point just to bolt it all on as is covered in grease and grime and just go with it. But I won't. I've made things pretty thus far. Might as well keep at it.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 11:34pm
Do you all keep your oil fill tubes that tall? Seems a little odd to me. All of mine previously have been chopped down a couple inches. I'm used to the shorter ones.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 12:01am
Looks nice. I like the valve covers. They look like they might be the Hamburger covers. Have you double checked the hood clearance with that air cleaner? It seem to me from the picture that one sits pretty darn high.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 12:10am
I've been thinking about that hood clearance myself. I'm gonna have to get a new hood as it is since mine is rusted just about beyond repair, so as much as I'm trying to keep the exterior as stock appearing as possible, if it doesn't fit I'll just chop a hole and throw on a generic Mr Gasket scoop or the like.

The RPM AirGap intake does move the slightly taller Holley carb up a bit higher and the non recessed air cleaner makes it even taller. We'll see what happens. I'm used to building FSJs. An entire family could live under the hood of my J20 with the engine.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 12:13am
Maybe I'll drop the engine in place tonight to check the clearance. Got me thinking now...

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 12:15am
Just be sure not to slam the hood before you check the clearance. That could be ugly. I tend to like chopped oil fill tubes. Personal taste.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 2:34am
That is one sexy engine bay! I keep thinking that since the original oil tube is at about the same height as the air cleaner that maybe I'm ok on clearance. We'll see...

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 3:12am
I REALLY need to buy a house and build a shop!!! How do you build a car in a cramped garage???

So you take a pile of new parts:
http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FF02172B-3366-458C-B774-A3BFE82E7149.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

And a rusty pile of old parts:
http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/05C7D3E5-BCBE-45A7-ABAC-FF73794BEF45.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

And somehow in a disaster area like this:
http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/44A2F445-C770-44ED-B34E-1708146CB59B.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

You magically produce a classic AMC muscle car.

I am in the process of cleaning up, btw. I was trying to put together an engine in a 5'x4' space. Wasn't working out. I had to go ahead and push the Javelin out into the driveway.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 3:07pm
Not the fanciest shop, and it's still a dirty mess, but I can work at this level of mess.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CA3F3CA1-7BF5-4CEB-8A72-69DB40F03D6C.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Posted By: 348AMX
Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 6:03pm

Not the fanciest shop, and it's still a dirty mess, but I can work at this level of mess.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CA3F3CA1-7BF5-4CEB-8A72-69DB40F03D6C.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Suggestion:   Move that work table on the left and incorporate it into the back wall; there is a lot of space on that back wall to make shelves. Without that table there you'll have a lot more side to side room.

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 7:12pm
That whole left side of the garage is the wood working area. I build furniture when I'm not working on a vehicle. That's my wood shop table although it has 2 transmissions, a driveshaft and a crossmember on it currently...

On the other hand, I got all of the 290 front end on the 360 and it all lines up nicely. There is a little 90* angle bracket on one of the front corner studs on the compressor that was very strangely hacked and booger welded back together, so fabbed up a new one. And there is one lower bolt hole on the compressor bracket that is broken off, but other than that, it's all in place as per the TSM. Well, I'm sure I didn't use the exact washers and bolts, but it all fit.

Now to label every bolt carefully, take some pictures, and pull it all back off for cleaning, blasting, and paint.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/80D2C8A7-51AE-416C-80D8-78685861CCAD.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Here's the little bracket that I had to redo circled in yellow. It's not exactly to spec. Good thing this isn't a concourse resto.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2BABB2C5-4C29-4FAD-8EC8-07E47BFB81C7.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 7:23pm
Here are the left over bolts! And there's another set of brackets and pulleys and a ps pump among other things.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/37BE6F6A-94AC-4FBD-B13B-760B6425FF96.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Next step other than cleaning parts is to try to tap the dipstick tube out of the 290 from underneath to reuse it otherwise I'm buying a new one. I do need one for my J20 also actually. I broke it off a year ago and whittled a stick to shove in the hole. It's still there and when the oil pressure goes down to a certain point, I add a quart. Been working out for me for over a year now.   

Then I'll set the engine on blocks and mock up the transmission with the Novak adapter.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 7:48pm
I'm enjoying this thread.

Posted By: dltowers
Date Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 7:50pm
I am totally confusedStern Smile

-------------
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20

Date Posted: Dec/18/2014 at 5:53pm
dltowers, haha, what's confusing?

So I managed to salvage the dipstick and tube from the old 290 last night with a little coaxing. I got it stabbed into the 360 and painted.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6E8B6527-287B-45D3-99C0-3B8403C79F31.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

I also put the QFI throttle body on the intake to measure and cut the fancy stainless air cleaner bolt. And I just wanted to look at the pretty QFI unit. That thing is SEXY! It had better work as good as it looks.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/835ED47D-74D3-4940-9289-E8D498CCBB7E_1.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Today I've been cleaning brackets and accessories for primer and paint and installation. I'll be rebuilding the PS pump before it gets painted and hung to dry. I'm going to primer everything and paint the brackets engine paint silver and the pulleys engine paint, semi-gloss black. I'm debating what to paint the ps pump and compressor. I'll probably buy a polished alternator that'll stay as is. I've never felt ok painting them anyway.

So my neighborhood has a hazmat locker for people to drop off chemicals that they don't want when they move for instance. It's open to people who want to browse for something to use as well. Today I found 6 unused cans of some random oven and BBQ grill cleaner that I've been using to clean parts. Let me tell you, this crap is intense! It takes grease, oil, grime, even paint right off. I can't remember the chemical right now, but that stuff is NOT cool to get on your skin. Ask me how I know. I accidentally got a whiff of it as well and thought I was gonna pass out.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D2B714C3-B703-4441-8B69-9C1805ABB61A.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

I'm soaking the steering components and cross members right now and I may throw a couple cans in the gas tank to swish around too. It ate through the plastic tub I was soaking bolts in!

Last but not least, this was my view as I walked into the garage this morning. I still get goosebumps.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E1756CA3-8619-49EA-A1D2-A64344627AFB.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 8:17am
Loooong day today (yesterday now) interrupted by a Christmas dinner party that I had to come in and scrub up for. It's 4 AM now and I'm sure this post will make no sense as I'm only partly awake right now.

So I think I've gotten everything painted now, engine wise. There are parts hanging everywhere in the garage drying.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/88C6FBDB-BCCE-49FF-A6A5-86FEA160B794.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/4F648F22-A4F1-4DBA-A81D-B3C706AD2479.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

It's gonna be hard not to start finishing the engine before everything is good and cured. I'm anxious to set this thing in the engine bay and start rewiring the car. I was gonna start rewiring before dropping the engine and transmission in, but I'm too excited about seeing the engine in the car and making sure the hood will close. Tomorrow I'll fit the Novak adapter and TH350. I'm still not giving up hope of finding a good deal on a 700R4, but they don't pop up very often in Hawaii, unfortunately.

Man, it was getting crazy there at the end with the painting. By the time I finished, I had added a few silver stripes to my Alamosa Aqua water bottle, made a fixture to slightly stretch out the throttle return spring and painted it, and even made a stencil with my initials and sprayed them in silver on the top of the oil breather cap I had painted black. I think I may have inhaled too many chemicals in the last 18 hours...

After masking all of this, I'm glad I used the 6 blade fan instead of the 7 blade.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/169D014A-F6C8-4CA6-99DF-87D5437FC1F9.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A5F9F585-77BA-4BEE-89FC-041561941C1C.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Good night/morning. Gotta take kids to school in 3 hours!

-------------

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 1:03pm
Looking good.
I the one of the picture I said to myself flip flops & shorts!
Where the he11 is he were he can wear that this time of year then I see HI!
Again nice work
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Date Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 1:45pm
Thanks Dave!   Yeah Hawaii is something. I'm probably gonna go surfing today just to keep myself from touching car parts while the paint cures. Can't do that most places in December. And there's no need for a wetsuit even over here. The water is warm.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 9:22pm
Nice to be done cleaning and painting engine parts. Although I've got a workbench full of grill supports, cross member, lower air dam brackets, etc. waiting on me.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/25481526-EE3A-41E7-A173-090B1FC5CDE5.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

It seems my water bottle always ends up the victim of long nights and extra paint.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/frazierjoshua/media/Mobile%20Uploads/46CF9D87-8C0D-4DED-B7A6-213A5CC17863.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Posted By: dltowers
Date Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 1:41am
Red, You are doing a great job.
But I have a question:
With the nice Hawaiian weather everyday of the year, when do you have time to work on the car?
I am sure it takes dedication/determination with all the distractions.
QUESTION----ARE YOU A BIG SPAM EATER?

-------------
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20

Date Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 1:59am
Lol, my family has gone pretty native. We love spam musubi and kalua pork, etc. My house is about a 5 minute drive from the beach. I take a 2 hour lunch break most days and bodysurf. It's a tough life, and I wouldn't wish it on you. I'll do it so everyone else doesn't have to.   

I go in swings as far as working on my junk is concerned. I'll spend a few months doing nothing but slumming on the beach and working then something will break on the truck or I'll order parts for the car. Then I shift into mechanic mode and fool around with the vehicles for a month or so.

Until 2 weeks ago, I was leaving the island in January, so I took this time off of work to go nonstop on the car and have been emptying my pockets ordering the last remaining parts I need. At this point, I'm not leaving for several months more, so I'm not in crunch time, but I'm still taking the time off and working hard to finish it up sooner than later so that I can take some epic Hawaii drives along the coast and maybe make a cruise night or two.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net