Print Page | Close Window

Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: Competition
Forum Name: Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
Forum Description: Rock crawling events or results, Muddin' it through the riverbed with your Eagle
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60424
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 7:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod
Posted By: Wolfeman64
Subject: Ultimate CJ7 442ci Restomod Hot Rod
Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:19am
Well, here I am, new to the forum, but not AMC Jeep's. I have never been a 'look at me' kind of person. I am who I am, you can like or not like, that is your choice not mind. But I am honest to a fault and don't mind giving my honest opinion. I have a lot of passions in life, but one of my first was Jeeps, four wheeling and hot rodding those jeeps. I grew up on a farm and I am mechanically apt, which lead to taking the Jeep apart and putting back together a little better. I will share some pictures of these previous Jeeps ago the way.

My last Jeep I sold in 1992 and have been without since then. I had been looking at building a replica AC Cobra (this will happen), but my wife convinced me to build a Jeep. She said that since I had Jeeps in the past, it would be more fun to have a Jeep with our two kids. She made a great point.

Sooo... now for the reason of this post. As I said, I am not a 'look at me' kind of person, but this Jeep build is worthy of a thread. Mostly for the Jeep and the people I have met ago the way.

Therefore, the build began with a purchase of a '79 CJ7 304 3 speed.

Doesn't look bad, but steering, brakes and clutch needed work.

-------------
"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"

Replies:
Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:21am
BTW, I will make lots of post to get past the magic 30!

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:22am
Also, the purchase was in August 2012.

A tenth of the way there!!!

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:35am
Well, after the purchase, I had to make a business trip to Saudi Arabia via Dubai.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19084701/2012-11-03%2016.56.16.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19084701/2012-11-03%2017.20.26.jpg

...man that's a tall building.

Getting those post done.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:41am
Sorry, pasted in the wrong place.

Post, post, post...

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 9:56am
Well, after some review of jeep, I made some decisions. The body had a lot of 'cancer', some hidden with body panels put in with RTV and covered with bedliner material. Other panels tacked over rusted panels and sprayed with a quality Maaco finish.

This is all fixable, I had made the decision to make this thing as close to a new modern Jeep as possible with all the great looks of the CJ's. Therefore, I decided to do a fiberglass body. Had one back in the late '80's and liked it.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:12am
I then found part of the reason for the bad steering. At some point the chassis on the drivers side had been bent and the weld nuts for the spring shackle mounts were broken loose.

Again, this could be fixed, but CJ chassis are notoriously flexi. Therefore, decision two, new mandle bent tube steel chassis.

Posted By: 401jim
Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:32am
You da man! Keep her alive! It just takes time and moola!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:42am
I have a buddy that I helpped do a glass body on his 72 CJ5 304/3 sp stick. At first he stayed with steel fenders, then glass then tilt nose when he started racing it off road.

Keep going we are with you on this one.
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:46am
In March of 2013 a buddy of mine (Bobby McDowall aka Streetwise from Moparts and others) made a trip up to Ohio to look at fiberglass bodies at both Kentrol and 4WD Hardware. On my previous Jeep I had a 4WD Hardware body and was probably heading in that direction. My first visit was to 4WD Hardware. The people were nice, but since Tom Kennedy's death and sell of the business, it is very corporate. Oh yea, in late March in Ohio it snows.

The next morning we made a visit to Kentrol to see Tom Troll. He is the first in a long list of great people I have met on this journey. After seeing the quality of their bodies, I was sold. Great steel in the firewall and all body mounts are steel plates. Tom was not there, but I met his brother Charlie, which runs the molding department. There were a couple of areas that I wanting to get reinforced and Charlie agreed to make the changes a start on my body the following week.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 10:56am
Jim401

Yep, done spent most of the money and now I am doing the time trying to get this build thread up to date. Hope to have it on the road next month and be at the AMC show in Charleston in July.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 11:20am
While I was at Kentrol, I found out that they had bought out AJ's molds when he past away. And funny that my first Jeep was a '80 CJ5 304 4 Speed, Rag top, which I bought in 1981 at the ripe age of 17. First big mod, after headers, side pipes, wheels and tires of course, was to put a hardtop on it. I purchased it from Rebel Manufacturing that has at the time in Myrtle Beach, SC. They wanted to use my Jeep for advertising. So they did a photo shoot on the beach and made post cards.

When Rebel Mfg. closed AJ's bought the top molds and my Jeep photo ended up in AJ's catalog circa 1987. I guess if you are on the earth long enough everything comes full circle.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 11:43am
At this point I had already ordered a chassis from Jeremy at Throttle Down Kustoms. I tell you this thing makes the original chassis look like a go-cart chassis. Plus all of the holes, weld nuts are in the right place. The only thing that was missing was a rear brake line tab, but this is easily resolved. I am in the NASCAR belt and the guys painting the body are ex-NASCAR painters and fabricators and they keep talking about how nice the chassis is.

I don't have a bare chassis picture so I borrowed one from Jeremy and TDK's website.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:10pm
My plans from the beginning was to put a 401 in this Jeep. Love AMC power, unique and not another chebby. So on the way back from Ohio to NC, I gave Barry Allen a call to see if we could stop by. I had never met the man before and he didn't know me from Adam, but he said sure would be glad to see you. This guy is as down to earth and modest as you ever want to meet and what a knowledge of AMC's. He had some great AMC parts laying around the shop and the Erb's Indy block motor to be freshened up. He even had some funny heads with the spark plugs through the valve covers. This kept Streetwize happy (Mopar Nut)! I talked to Barry about offset grinding a 401 crank to 3.81" with 2.1" journals, but didn't have an engine at the time. He told me to give Alan 0'Brien a call or see him at the Z-max 4 Wide in a month. I meet Alan at Z-Max, but no luck on parts. Alan has one bad Top Dragster, Barry Allen AMC powered of course.

Our Z-Max group.

Funny Car debris. Amazingly no one was hurt.

-------------
"talk is talk, explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but performance is reality"

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:30pm
The next great group I started working with is Tarheel 4WD in Charlotte. Both Ron Crisp and Steve Owens are great people and Steve is one heck of a great fabricator and knowledge base for Jeeps. I had originally planned on using the AMC 20 rear end and Dana 30 front end. But after looking at the cost of strengthening up the parts and I preferred a little wider track, we decided to use a Dana 44 in the front and put a Dana 60 in the rear. A little more expensive but a heck of a lot stronger. I found a full size Jeep junk yard in Burnsville, NC operated by Jake and Jackie Jacob, great people and willing to help any way they can. I purchased a Dana 44 front end out of a narrow track Cherokee. You can cut 4" on the drivers side and make a wide track CJ. I also purchased a AMC TH400 auto tranny for the build.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:50pm
The build for the front and rear ends are 3.73 gears with TrueTrac diffs. The front end of course is from the FSJ, but the rear end is cut down from a Ford van. This will end up being a great gear for the auto and 442ci I ended up with (more on this later, torque and more torque and flat). Also will have 33" tires.

The rear end will get disc brakes, as I state in the thread title it is a restomod. These will also be hydroboost brakes.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

I have a buddy that I helpped do a glass body on his 72 CJ5 304/3 sp stick. At first he stayed with steel fenders, then glass then tilt nose when he started racing it off road.

Keep going we are with you on this one.

Dave ----

Dave, I had looked at a one piece front end, but decided to keep it a little more original looking. But for racing, very easy accessibility. The only metal body part is the tailgate, because I want to keep the raised J E E P letters. The color will be Deep Ruby Red with dark gray rally stripes. The glass is a lot of work to cut all of the holes, but it is easily repaired.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 2:43pm
SIDEBAR

First fiberglass Jeep build 1989
- 1977 CJ5
- Wide Track CJ Dana 30 Front End
- IH Scout Dana 44 Rear End
- T150 3 Speed
- Dana 20 Xfer Case
- '74 AMC 401 Bored .030, Crane Commander Cam, Torker, 750 Holley

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 4:10pm
Back to the current build, sent a bunch of parts out to be blasted and powder coated.

...and blasted only. The steering column tube and mounting brackets have plastic inserts so they will collapse in accident and these will be melted out if powder coated. So I had them painted.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 4:39pm
Found an engine with standard bore and crank. Torn it down to send to the machine shop. At this point, I had decided to go with 4" billet crank from K1 with 6" H beam rods, Wiseco 10.6:1 custom pistons and internally balanced. I worked with Ron Shearer at K1/Wiseco. Ron has a lot of help. The only issue with the crank is that it has a 68-69 flange and if bolting to an auto, you have to make an adapter. Ron did mention that they were looking at making one. Of course the one shown in the Performance American Style book in for a Torque Flite converter and not a GM converter, which is .100 smaller. This combo yielded a bob weight of 1712. Should spin up nicely and does!

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:01pm
Well back to the body work. Lots of hole to cut and parts to fit.

Yes, I know the tailgate hinges are on backwards.

Made a latch block with detent dimple for the tailgate latch.

Posted By: Traveller
Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:04pm
Man, serious build on the Jeep.   Looks really nice!

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:13pm
With any kit there always some fitment required. Notice the rubber bumpers for the hood. The hole for this one is blind, but you can use a dremmel tool to carve out a cavity for the tit.

I used a spline string and plumb bob to guarantee the body was centered on the chassis. Of course the chassis must be level for this to work.

The body shop will need to work on the gap between the hood and fender.

The easy stuff.

Found a mold problem with one of the fenders. Call Tom at Kentrol and they repaired their mold and sent a replacement. Great customer service.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Traveller Traveller wrote:

Man, serious build on the Jeep.   Looks really nice!

Thanks, stay tune. It is going to get a little crazy.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:16pm
Some parts off to be yellow zinc'd. Oh by the way, decided on M.O.R.E. bomb proof motor mounts. As you see the engine side is going to yellow zinc and the chassis side got powdercoated.

After plating, like new again!

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:30pm
Like Christmas at the engine builder (I will give him props later). Originally ordered a Performer RPM Air Gap intake, but later a Torker. I ended up using the Torker, just a great intake and with a engine this size any bottom end loses will never be noticed. The dyno numbers will prove this later.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:38pm
One problem with fiberglass bodies is how to secure the back side of the e-brake frame. I came up with a nice bracket that ties in to the upper and lower hinge bolts and has a piece of strut and a spring bolt to mount the e-brake frame to. It has both vertical and lateral support.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:41pm
Test fitting the newly powdercoated pedal box, steering column and hydroboost system.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:43pm
MSD 6AL Box.

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:46pm
Axle almost done

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 5:54pm
More interior fitment.

Brake push rod alignment. Not bad!

Old school racing bumper!

Powdercoating and zinc makes 35 year old parts look new

Another look at the e-brake bracket

No guys, not yet!

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:09pm
Starting to fit drive train and chassis.

The stock trans cross member is shown here, but we needed to drop the transfer case. So a new custom member will be fabricated.

The business end of the Dana 60!

-------------

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:13pm
Neat build! Look forward to more posts in this thread.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: idrambler
Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:16pm
Pretty cool build...yes keep us posted!!!

-------------
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:17pm
Custom cross member.

All this is thanks to Steve Owens at Tarheel 4WD Center in Charlotte!

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:30pm
Well with a 442ci monster not sure the 3" collectors will let it breath on the 1-3/4" Hooker Super Comp fenderwell headers. So, let's put on some Schoenfeld 3-1/2" collectors with 3/8" flanges.

New AGR variable ratio steering box install on a M.O.R.E bracket and then moved forward 1" for tie rod clearance.

Nearly complete cross member, but more to come.

Tranny cooler mounted to not add more heat back in to the motor.

-------------

Posted By: kirkwood
Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:34pm
very cool - thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

-------------
AMO Newsletter Editor

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:36pm
New seats with shifter mockup. Only the highest quality mockup material.

Again, no guys, not yet!

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

very cool - thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

I will be up your way next week. My wife is from Indy and her cousin is getting married. I guess she didn't realize it is Memorial Day weekend and there's a little race going on there. But since we are in town the 500 will be on the playlist for Sunday.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 6:49pm
Body fitment with chassis and drivetrain.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 7:06pm
Now of course with bigger header collectors there must be bigger mufflers. Therefore no off the shelf part would work. I contacted Classic Chambered Exhaust in Milford, MI, which make AC Cobra exhaust (there's that reference to a Cobra again, stay tune it will pop up again). Anyway they have some glass fitted units with 3" opening all the way through. Now that'll work. I dyno'd through these and you will see the results later.

Put a 15 degree turndown to help reduce the sound. I am sure that won't work, but what the hey.

What's that, some O2 sensor bungs. Well again restomod, there will be a MSD Atomic EFI on the beast, which will help us on the lower end and give some idle quality over a Holley DPer.

Steve at Tarheel came up with the late model exhaust hanger and should work great. Thanks Steve!

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 7:12pm
Back to the cross member that keeps morphing. Notice the driveshaft safety loop. Also the torque bumper on the near side of the transfer case. Finally the twin shift for the xfer case.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 7:15pm
After powder coating and ceramic coating.

It's either a Manta ray or a Romulan Warbird...you pick

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 7:22pm
Chassis powder coated. I tell you, powder coating is the way to go. All parts where baked, blasted, zinc treated and powder coated for just over $500.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 7:50pm
Well let's get back to the motor. The engine builder is Hollis Page of HP Engines in Norwood, NC. He and Bobby McDowall (Streetwize) spec'd most of the components in the engine and came up with a cam grind that really works.

Spec's

401 bored and stroked to 442

-72 401 Block - casting 3198951 - Barry Allen recommends this casting
-K1 Billet 4" Crank - very nice piece - lost track of $'s a long time ago
-K1 H Beam 6" 2.100 Rods - initially looked at 6.125", but CH and oil ring issues
-Wiseco Custom 10.6:1 - end up with a CH of 1.184" with a 9.184 deck
-Comp Cam Custom Hydraulic Roller (again restomod) int. 236 @.050 608" exh. 242 @ .050 612" on a 108 lobe separation installed at 103
-Bullet Hydraulic Roller Lifter - Bullet was going to grind cam, but no blanks
-Nick Alfano's cam plate and modified Rollmaster timing chain - thanks Nick
-Edelbrock heads ported and polished with 2.055 int vlv and 1.65 exh vlv. Flowed 281 @ .600 int. and 187 @ .600 exh.
-Harland Sharp 1.6 7/16" rockers
-Bulltear's timing cover with SS midplate and match dist. and cam gear - thanks Matt
-Edelbrock Torker Intake
-MSD Pro-Billet Dist.
-MSD Atomic EFI

Dyno results to come...

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:07pm
Now for some painted parts. The paint shop is JSL Motorsports in Mooresville, NC. Some ex-NASCAR guys doing some really cool stuff. Jim Lynaugh is the owner a terrific guy and pretty good painter (just kidding). They really do some nice work! Then Skeet Lathrop is the fabricator and a big AMC guys and knew Herman Lewis well, but when I walked in their shop and saw Skeet's AMC poster, I knew I was in the right place.

Had them smooth the firewall and the hood here.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:12pm
Getting the chassis back together for hopefully the last time and test fitting the body before paint.

Much better hood to fender gap now. Thanks to the guys at JSL!

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:18pm
35 Year old heater box rebuilt.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:22pm
Baby got some new shoes. Toyo 33x13.50x15 on Ultra Mongoose (remember the name it will reappear again) 10x15 wheels.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:25pm
Body paint. Ain't it pretty!

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:26pm
Reactor Products flexplate with custom crank adapter.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:34pm
For the MSD Atomic EFI. I choose the Aeromotive Phantom in-tank fuel pump kit. Capable of 1000HP EFI. Very nice setup and pretty easy to install. That is when everything is exposed.

First you cut a hole in the tank and use the included template as a gage to drill the holes and install the foam well.

Then mount the pump to the tank flange arm.

Finally tighten in to place.

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:35pm
Can't forget dad's little helper. As she tighten a couple of bolts, she said my arm is getting tired, now I know what the guys on Graveyard Carz feel like. From the mouth of babes? Great shop clothes my dear...don't tell mom!

-------------

Date Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:51pm
Now for some plumbing

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 8:26am
Reduced pix sizes to help reduce load time of pages.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 9:48am
WOW love the build. I want to ask why did you but the metal one other than for the VIN when building from the ground up! I kind of answered my question didn't I?

Funny how you start a project to fix 1 or 3 little things and it snowballs in to a total rebuild LOL
Keep on posting we are watching
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Posted By: tsanchez
Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:02am
Great build!! Outstanding craftsmanship

-------------
http://s192.photobucket.com/user/antonsan/media/jav1_zps87a70dce.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: 73jav
Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 1:49pm
that plumbing is exceptional. everything for that matter. how about some details on the GTO hiding in the background?

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 7:09pm

WOW love the build. I want to ask why did you but the metal one other than for the VIN when building from the ground up! I kind of answered my question didn't I?

Funny how you start a project to fix 1 or 3 little things and it snowballs in to a total rebuild LOL
Keep on posting we are watching
Dave ----

Dave,

I have asked myself that question many times.  But yes, I had intended on fixing the steering, clutch, rear main seal (reason for the clutch) and ...  Then the bent frame and body cancer and so on and so on.  Oh, and did I mention, I never do anything half way.  So one day I just said do it all or nothing and I think you see my decision.  So yes it did snowball, but I think more of an avalanche, but no regrets.

I have made use of a lot of the hard to find parts (and no so hard), pedal box, steering column (rebuilt and found original AMC cylinder from Doug at APD), speedo, PS pump bracket and Dana 20 xfer case.  But most importantly the 1979 VIN.  In NC at 35 years old, no more safety or emission inspection.  Don't understand no safety inspection, but I don't make the rules.  With the EFI will probably have less emission than it ever did new.

Nat

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Great build!! Outstanding craftsmanship

Thanks, but I have some great help along the way.  As they say, surround yourself with great people.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by 73jav 73jav wrote:

that plumbing is exceptional. everything for that matter. how about some details on the GTO hiding in the background?

Not mine, but I bet it is for sale.  This is at the body shop.  I kinda like the Sassy Green Duster with a 340 and pistol grip 4-spd.

One of the coolest car they have been involved with is a '69 Mustang Fastback restomod with a 2010 interior and a coyote motor.  Just first class!  JSL Motorsports (look'm up)

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Wolfeman64 Wolfeman64 wrote:

Originally posted by 73jav 73jav wrote:

Not mine, but I bet it is for sale.  This is at the body shop.  I kinda like the Sassy Green Duster with a 340 and pistol grip 4-spd.

One of the coolest car they have been involved with is a '69 Mustang Fastback restomod with a 2010 interior and a coyote motor.  Just first class!  JSL Motorsports (look'm up)

BTW, thanks for the compliments on the plumbing...I will claim that.  All industrial stainless with Swagelok to AN fittings.  I even inverted flared the stainless PS tubing, not to bad to do.  All fuel and oil lines are XRP and PS is Aeroequip.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 8:09pm
Well I needed at bracket for the return regulator on the EFI. They make them for a carb regulator, but no EFI regulator. So, I had one made. I have a sheet metal shop with a laser cutter. I gave them an AutoCAD file and had them cut and bend one out of stainless. This is the second attempt. The first one was in the center, but the return line radius was too tight.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 8:16pm
Also, needed to extend the front shift shaft for the transfer case and give it a tang instead of just a round shaft. I had the extension made and it worked great.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 8:34pm
Alright, on the way to the dyno run. Interesting story and another one of those full circle things. The original shop that was going to do the dyno run had a month and never got us scheduled. So, I asked my father-in-law, which use to be in NASCAR, if he knew any one. He gave me a name and I gave him a call. The shop is Vaselenuick Engine Development (a fantastic facility). I told the owner, Dave Vaselenuick, what I was looking to do and he said, "I have worked on AMC before, sure you came bring the Kelvinator by". Actually, he was the chief engine builder for Bobby Allison's 77 Matador just to start. Not trying to drop names, but boy what a small world. His shop is actually less than 10 miles from my house. They have some pretty cool things going on and shop full of great guys including his son and grandson and even a semi-retired Ron Neal of Prototype Engineering from the Chicago area. Great Friday afternoon stories over a beer there! Man what a stress relief!

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 9:32pm
Well the day of the dyno run. The plan was to get a baseline with a Pro-System 1050 off of my bubby Bobby McDowall's Daihatsu Rocky 414 Mopar drag motor. Then convert to the MSD Atomic EFI using the timing control of the EFI ECU. This would require locking out the distributor and putting in a phasing rotor retarded 15 degrees. On the first several pulls, they noticed that initially the timing would go in to the high 40's and come right back to around 36 at which is was set. After lunch they pulled the distributor and decide it was because of the lack of good lower support of the distributor and the shaft was flexing. They went ahead and locked out the distributor advance and set at 34. The next pull was better with only about a 2 degree swing. Not a problem on this street motor, but may be a good reason for an Indy cover or crank trigger on a race motor.

Here's the group getting ready for the first pull. Dave Vaselenuick is in the foreground, Dave's grandson Nick is beside him, Ron Neal is to the left of the motor, Dave's son Darrick is to the right and Hollis Page(ball cap & engine builder) is just looking on, going, yep got this thing is right. Funny story, Ron was timing the engine with a big flathead on the distributor and a hammer and Hollis looks at him and Ron said, "What, its not a f'n clock". Hollis doesn't know it, but that will be him in a few years. You know those engine builders "Grumpy", "Mopey", and Hollis you ain't Snow White.

Here is the best carb pull. Not bad, check out the torque curve (line) and the VE at peak HP was over 95%. Hollis congratulations!

We then converted it to EFI and made a couple pulls for it to learn itself and dialed the WOT A/F to 12.5 and here is the results

and the comparison. Pretty sweet, time for a beer! That's Coors Light at Vaselenuick's

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 9:46pm
Anyone, can I post a video?

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 9:48pm
Engine made it home and it was time for some street dress. This is a great serpentine setup from Matt at Bulltear and very reasonable compared to the March setup. Had to take off about .050 on the spacer of the lower idler bolt to correctly align the idler. Could have been from the Edelbrock water pump.

...see the next Jeep project in the background!

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 9:59pm
Made a sacrificial part out of the old bellhousing to check the mesh of the starter gear and the Reactor Products flexplate. I am using a RobbMC starter and water neck. Very nice parts. The starter mesh looks good.

But I had to open up about .100 on the support nose window due to the thickness of the flexplate.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:13pm
Bellhousing sacrificed and no clutch, but I need a torque converter. Well, for this need I went to Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts. Believe me, Lenny knows converters and can make what ever you need. With the dyno sheet in hand he made a 9 1/2" 3400 stall. He guarantees his work and will make you happy. When I first test fitted the converter, the nose was too long as well as the mounting pads due to the custom crank adapter and 1/4" thick flexplate. I took the converter back the next day (about 5 miles from the office) and he fix in about 15 mins. He is great. Just more good people I have met along the way and a definite recommend by Bobby McDowall(Streetwize).

A perfect fit

Bolted up and ready to go.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:21pm
Engne mounted in the chassis. Moving closer!

...and my presenter...Vanna watch out!

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:25pm
Need a vacuum line for the tranny modulator. Break out the 1/4" stainless and some benders.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:29pm
A few more assembly pictures.

Power steering pressure hose through a filter to the hydroboost.

EFI, got to work on the throttle cable bracket.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:32pm
Made a coil bracket/block for a MSD Blaster SS coil. Looks fitting beside the RobbMC water neck.

-------------

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:34pm
Well, believe or not I am up to date. Loading the chassis tomorrow to take to the body shop.

-------------

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 10:56pm
WOW.....that's all I can say.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 6:36am
Couple of questions?

1. Has anyone seen this problem? Edelbrock recommends a Fel-pro 1434 exhaust gasket on their heads and states that the ports have been CNC'd to the gasket. I think not.

Mr Gasket composites and Summit copper all have the same problem. But the Hooker Super Comp headers are close to the head ports and with a VE of 95%, I am not too concerned. But they all leak. I noticed that the Hookers came with rectangle port gaskets. Therefore I just notched out the dog legs with a punch.

2. Are all of the aftermarket dipstick tubes wrong? They all seem to big and not just at the bulges at the block. Can't get one in the block without straightening the lower radius, not easy with the pan on. I talked to Tony Zamisch at California Classic AMC and we figured that the original was made from 5/16" tube and the new ones are from 8mm tube. All the new ones are around .320 and the originals are around .310. 10 thou here would make a big difference. Therefore, I am getting a NOS one from Tony. We should be able to find someone in the states to make these tubes right.

-------------

Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 7:40am
I cant answer #1 as I have never looked thay close to the ports/headers/gaskets on any of the junk I have headers on.

As for #2 the NOS one will not fit either. I bought 2 tubes back in the mid 80"s and whenI went to use them a few years ago they did not fit - too large like you found.
Better have Tony measure his to make sure it will fit my guess it will NOT fit.

You have already delt with Matt from Bultear he has dip stick tubes the fit and he is the only one I know of that fits. If Tony's is right he got it from Matt.
Also make sure you use the tube bracket at the valve cover other wise the tube will break at the block.

Love the work you are doing just out standing!
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Posted By: kirkwood
Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 8:19am
great, work, i love your attention to detail on this build.

-------------
AMO Newsletter Editor

Posted By: tsanchez
Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 9:51am
Get some remflex header gaskets if you dont want headaches. ALso Im sure your engine builder probably researched it but the pcv in the rear needs to be baffled, and use a valley pan gasket or it will consume oil.

-------------
http://s192.photobucket.com/user/antonsan/media/jav1_zps87a70dce.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 10:38am

I cant answer #1 as I have never looked thay close to the ports/headers/gaskets on any of the junk I have headers on.

As for #2 the NOS one will not fit either. I bought 2 tubes back in the mid 80"s and whenI went to use them a few years ago they did not fit - too large like you found.

Better have Tony measure his to make sure it will fit my guess it will NOT fit.

You have already delt with Matt from Bultear he has dip stick tubes the fit and he is the only one I know of that fits. If Tony's is right he got it from Matt.

Also make sure you use the tube bracket at the valve cover other wise the tube will break at the block.

Love the work you are doing just out standing!

Dave ----

Dave, I actually tried Matt's and had the same problem. His too is .320, I know he compresses the bulges to correctly size. I talked to Tony for a while and compared caliper readings. It appears his are .310. When I get it, I'll let you know. I have tried three and all are .320, APD, Bulltear and Omix-Ada. I remember putting them in back in the 80's and don't remember much of a problem getting them to the bulges and then used a pair of lineman's plier and a hammer and drive it home. And yes, I do have the bracket for the valve cover. Tony suggest also putting a grommet in the bracket and I found one that would fit well.

Again, thanks for the reply

Nat

-------------

Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Get some remflex header gaskets if you dont want headaches. ALso Im sure your engine builder probably researched it but the pcv in the rear needs to be baffled, and use a valley pan gasket or it will consume oil.

Thanks for the reply. I will guess you are referring to these?

Necessity, mother of all inventions!

On the baffle, yes he cut off the back part from the cast iron manifold and installed. Had to modify the valley pan to clear the oil line. But after all of the dyno pulls I pull the line and it was dry. Install some Mr Gasket intake gasket on one back in the 80's with no baffle and it burn oil and carboned up the intake valve stems like a dirt-dabber was making a nest.

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 10:52am
Here are the Hooker gaskets before.

...and after being modified. You can see the blow by on the plugs from the dyno run.

I still think I will get some Remflex though.

-------------

Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 10:53am
Got her loaded and headed to the body shop.

-------------

Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 2:04pm
That is the first I ever heard of Bultears tube not fitting the block.
I am sure if you were to let Matt know he would make good on it.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: May/21/2014 at 8:55am

That is the first I ever heard of Bultears tube not fitting the block.
I am sure if you were to let Matt know he would make good on it.

Dave ----

Dave, yes I spoke to Matt and I am to send it back to him to review. I am just waiting on the one from Tony to compare and pass this info back to Matt as well.

Nat

-------------

Date Posted: May/21/2014 at 9:07am
Well made it to the body shop yesterday. Hopefully have some progress pictures next week. My post will slow down a bit, since now I am in real time. I am working on getting some dyno videos up on youtube and will post links once they are there...so stay tune!

Oh...and that Sassy Green Duster getting cut and polished for the Mopar guys

-------------

Date Posted: May/21/2014 at 10:25am
Here's a little taste...more to come. Dyno warm up.

Youtube Video Link http://youtu.be/o-gBZZk3JQg or click below

http://youtu.be/o-gBZZk3JQg" rel="nofollow - AMC 442ci Dyno Warm Up

-------------

Date Posted: May/21/2014 at 10:37am
...a few hits of the throttle. Pretty responsive!

Youtube Video Link http://youtu.be/_es3jhBYNOE or click below

http://youtu.be/_es3jhBYNOE" rel="nofollow - AMC 442 Dyno Warm Up Acceleration

-------------

Date Posted: May/21/2014 at 6:05pm
Here are two dyno pulls with the carb. I must have been busy back and forth making A/F adjustment on the MSD Atomic and didn't get a pull with the EFI, but you saw the results on the dyno sheet.

Youtube Video Link http://youtu.be/MBhJgDYu8P0 or click below

http://youtu.be/MBhJgDYu8P0" rel="nofollow - AMC 442 Dyno Pull #1

Youtube Video Link http://youtu.be/QbWzTZsDTj0 or click below

http://youtu.be/QbWzTZsDTj0" rel="nofollow - AMC 442 Dyno Pull #2

-------------

Date Posted: May/28/2014 at 5:55pm
I received the NOS dipstick tube here is what I found.  I had previously purchased 3 dipstick tubes (APD, Bulltear & Omix) and they all measured the same except the one from Bulltear had been size properly at the bulges that interference fit the block.

The APD, Bulltear & Omix nominal OD measurement is .326"

The NOS tube measured .306".  This .020" difference makes all the "Difference" in the world.  The NOS tube slides into the block with no interference until the bulges make contact with the block.  This is what I remember them fitting like back in the 80's.

My conclusion is that all of the reproductions (I assume make in China) are from 8mm tubing and the original NOS tube is 5/16" tubing.

I have a lead on a tubing shop locally that supplies tubing to Freightliner.  I will check to see if these can be sourced locally from correct tubing.

-------------

Date Posted: May/28/2014 at 6:09pm
BTW, made it to the Indy 500 Sunday.  What a race!  Still trying to figure out how we made it in and out without getting caught in any traffic (wife is from Indy a knew the side streets). 

...and then her luck won the pool! Beer

-------------

Date Posted: May/28/2014 at 6:13pm
...back to the regularly schedule program already in progress.

The body is now on the chassis.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/02/2014 at 6:02pm
I was over at the body shop Saturday and we set the fenders and hood to layout the rally strips.

These will be a charcoal gray like the roll bar in the background.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/02/2014 at 6:11pm
I also was going to install the dipstick tube on Saturday, but no real good tool...and after all of the time to find the right tube. So, I made one today. I had seen several good post of some tools made and put a little of my own twist into it and this is what I came up with. It is a 1/4" x 6" brass pipe nipple and coupling to provide a good place to strike. Then I milled out a slot to fit around the tube. By have the coupling, you could also add another piece of pipe or rod to make it longer if desired. Also, the brass being softer than the tube will protect the tube from damage while driving in.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 7:21pm
The strips are now painted. My daughter had a hand in the painting.

Getting cleared

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 8:20pm

Looking shiny

When I did my buddy’s Jeep he wanted Black & BBG and said have at it. I wanted to do 40s/50s scallops from the grille on to the hood but being it was a race jeep and may need to be repaired I went with something simple.

Doing the “jungle jim” (roll bar) was no fun as it could not be removed.

This is after he sold it

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/Untitled/Neals-Jeep" rel="nofollow - http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/Untitled/Neals-Jeep

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/var/resizes/Untitled/Neals%20Jeep.Dave" rel="nofollow - Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 8:42pm
Dave

That's cool. Yea, that roll cage in going no where (nice work!), but he should have felt secure in it. That hill climb reminds me of Sunday sand pit runs I use to do in high school. We had a sand pit near Carolina Beach, NC that they would dig from during the week and on Sunday about 30 4WD vehicle would go climb the new terrain. The hills had steep walls and you would go to the top and run up to the edge and hit the brakes to push off the top and eventually dragging down from the top edge. Do that several times and when hit if from the bottom. Several times a think I cleared all four on the top. Could of/should of had your roll cage then!

Nat

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 9:24pm
It was safe as he tested it once and put it on it's lid. He built a motor cage that tied into the main hoop and front frame. It had bunp stops that sat just under the hood of the full glass nose. He was able to roll it back on it's wheel and drive it off the track. It only had some scratches in the paint that buffed out for the most part.

When you race 10 trucks on a moto x track at the same time or that hill you built the cage so your life depended on it because it could! A gril rolled a CJ7 end to end 3 times then 6 times side ways till it came to a stop on that hill. Truck was a total she had a scrach on her hand and wet her pants as I think any of us would.
http://www.monsonmonster.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.monsonmonster.com/
My I always had to back back down as I had a Toyota L/C with the stock 6 and it just did not have the power to go over the top.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Jun/15/2014 at 2:56pm
Got the dash done and wired. I had Dan at Double D Fabrication make a new dash with 3 modification from the original. I wanted it to look original, so the modifications are slight. First, it has 2 gauge holes over the light and wiper switches. These are 2-1/16" to hold a volt meter and trans temp gauges. Second, is a standard DIN radio hole instead of the 3 hole opening. Last, which was Dan's suggestion, was to flip the glove box and speaker opening. A nice touch and it make the speaker symmetrical (it's the engineer in me).

The speedo was reconditioned. I disassembled, cleaned the speedo face and sprayed with a clear matte, painted the needle with Tester Florescent Red, replaced the temp and fuel gauges and replaced the trim ring with a stainless one from MTS Company, who also supplied the poly gas tank. All other gauges are Autometer Classic Chrome. There will be a Autometer 0-8K Sport Comp tach mounted on a perch above the dash.

The wiring harness is from Painless Performance with a few modified circuits. I added a Delphi Weatherpak connector for the tach and a rearview mirror with a map light. I also added a battery circuit to the rear section connector to feed a 7 pin trailer harness for aux power. Just planning ahead.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net