Forum Description: *AMC people* (or their family members) who have passed on
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54638
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 11:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jim Rae ( RamblerJim...RIP)
Posted By: sidewinder
Subject: Jim Rae ( RamblerJim...RIP)
Date Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 3:27pm
Just got word today ( 10/11/13)  that a well known AMC vendor from our neighbors to the North has passed unexpectedly.   Jim Rae was well known in the AMC world and supplied the hobby with numerous parts.
He was attending the swap meets in Hersey / Carlisle and apparently suffered a fatal heart attack....very sad to hear!!
To all his friends and family please accept my condolences and on behalf of the AMC Forum may I say he will be missed by all!!

Regards.....Chuck Page

-------------
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Replies:
Posted By: kirkwood
Date Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 3:47pm
Wow, that is horrible to hear. I met jim a few times, and I know he was responsible for some great parts in the aftermarket. He'll be missed. Condolences to his family.

-------------
AMO Newsletter Editor

Posted By: WeatherEye
Date Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 4:32pm
Condolences to Jim's family. I bought many parts from him over the years. He was a great guy to work with and once he got to know you he would send the parts out without waiting for the payment first. Very sorry to hear this.

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 5:23pm
That's terrible, Jim was a major influence to the Rambler/AMC scene in Ontario and beyond.

Condolences to his family.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: El Matador
Date Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 5:27pm
I'm three provinces away, so never met him in person. I do remember seeing his ads on Kijiji for parts and sometimes cars for sale. I briefly corresponded with him online regarding a Hornet he was selling a few years back. I knew he was pretty well known in the AMC world, and am shocked that he's gone.

How could a person have a heart attack in a public restroom and not be found for a few days? Unless he was in one of the stalls I suppose...

-------------
1972 Matador 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1987 Eagle 4 door

Posted By: 71SC360
Date Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 5:49pm
Very sad news indeed. I knew Jim from the many shows that we both attended.

My condolences go out to his family...

Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 10:52pm
I didnt know him, but sorry to hear this.

Posted By: Artful Dodger
Date Posted: Oct/12/2013 at 7:14pm
Jim's passing is a big loss to the AMC community.
He was my go to guy for my 67 Rebel.
I had heard today that he had been missed at his booth and was found in his hotel room. Seems a little more dignified than a gas station washroom. His bypass surgery a couple of years ago allowed him and us to benefit from his love of AMC's. Condolences to his family.
I understand there may be a son and wife who may continue Jim's quest to supply needed help for the Rambler enthusiasts.

-------------
67, 770, 232 Auto

Posted By: sherlock
Date Posted: Oct/12/2013 at 8:00pm
I was talking to Jim other day when I was buying some of his parts. He was a terrific guy who new his amc I will miss him dearly he always had a mountain of information and was always willing to share it with you

-------------
Freedom is Riding in my 73 Javelin

Date Posted: Oct/13/2013 at 10:14am
Posted on Funeral Home ( Low and Low, Port Perry ON )

RAE, James (Jim) William 

Port Perry Chapel

Of Manchester, Ontario died suddenly on Monday, October 7th, 2013 while doing what he loved best – selling Rambler car parts at a car show in Hershey, Pennsylvania.  Jim was 63 years old. He was born on July 14, 1950 in Stouffville, Ontario.  He attended Lemonville Public School and Stouffville High School.  Jim worked many jobs before realising his dream of becoming a licensed mechanic with a special passion for restoring Ramblers.  Jim was a long time member of the Northern Ramblers Car Club and served for many years as President.  Jim always had a smile for everyone even when his beloved Maple Leafs missed the playoffs again – at least he could remember when they won the Stanley Cup.  Jim is survived by his beloved and cherished best friend Jane Brose, his daughters Debbie Biot (Dionisio Biot) of Bolton and Beverly Rae Mowat (Carmine Salerno) of Brampton, his son Darryl Rae (Chantelle Kelly) of Stouffville and his adored grandchildren; Jenna, Sabrina, Daphnie and Gabriel Biot.  Jim will also be terribly missed by his father James Rae of Stouffville, brother David Rae (Nancy) of Mount Forest, and sisters Karen Rae of Stouffville and Lynn Rae of Newmarket as well as Jane’s parents Norma and Ken Brose, his many nieces, nephews, great- nieces and great-nephews.   Predeceased by his mother, Evelyn Rae (Beach). Friends and family will be received at the Low and Low Funeral Home, 1763 Reach St., Port Perry (905-985-7331) for visitation on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 from 5-9p.m.  A Celebration of Jim’s Life will take place in the chapel on Thursday, October 17th at 2p.m. with visitation from 12-2p.m.  Reception to follow.  In memory of Jim, please consider a donation to the Canadian Diabetes Society or the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation.  .  http://www.lowandlow.ca/condolence_set.php?name=James+Rae&Port%20Perry" rel="nofollow - Send Condolence

-------------

Posted By: AMX
Date Posted: Oct/13/2013 at 8:58pm
He certainly will be missed. My condolences to his Family.

-------------
1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG
1972 Gremlin X 401 4 speed
1973 Gremlin X 304 4 speed
1973 Amx Pierre Cardin A/C 401 Auto

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Oct/13/2013 at 9:23pm
Wow. Sorry to hear that. I believe I've got the improved trunnions he made on my AMX.

-Steve-

Posted By: Purpleheart
Date Posted: Oct/13/2013 at 10:09pm
Wow , I'm shocked ! He was a good guy and supplied parts to AMC people for a long time . He was the man that called out the awards at The Rambler Rama carshow they have in Port Perry every year . He'll be missed , RIP Jim !

Paul

-------------
Best time 10.38, Best mph 128.73, Best 60ft 1.38

Posted By: 70javluvr
Date Posted: Oct/13/2013 at 11:10pm
This is a huge loss to the AMC community.  I personally owe so much to Jim for my two Javelins.  The Sonic Silver Shadow Mask Javelin that is now in Texas was full of his parts and especially his knowledge.  I will greatly miss his friendship and my regular sabbatical to his place in Port Perry.  

My condolences to Jim's family He was a great man and will be dearly missed.

Dion Fleury

-------------
70 Javelin Donohue Tribute car Sonic Silver/Shadow Mask/360/Custom Interior

Posted By: mramc
Date Posted: Oct/15/2013 at 1:40pm
WoW , I'm very sorry to hear this. I think I met Jim a couple times at the big AMC meets in Kenosha. Jim was also president of the Northern Ramblers . I've been a members of Northern Ramblers for a couple years now myself. I consider the Northern Ramblers to be the National AMC car club of Canada.
This is big loss , as Jim was probably the major AMC parts vendor in Canada. LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Posted By: mymark
Date Posted: Oct/15/2013 at 7:32pm
I too am a member, I met Jim in Kenosha also 02 for 100 th rambler celebration . He loved AMC and being with AMC people , he will be missed and remembered by many. Pat

-------------
Donohue

Posted By: 70 Donohue 390
Date Posted: Oct/16/2013 at 12:30am
Wow so sorry to hear- my condolences to the family. I believe I met Jim at the 2007 Denver AMO? or was that another Jim with a white vinyl top Machine from Canada?

-------------
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction

Posted By: SportaboutX
Date Posted: Oct/16/2013 at 1:15am
While I did not know Jim, he is the third I know of in a line of genuine NICE, KIND AMC guys who have passed in the last short while, following AMXMGS, and AMCPSYCHO both of whom were like Jim apparently kindhearted souls who where happy to help a fellow hobbyist get the parts they needed for their cars.

These are the type of guys this hobby needs more of, people who do not talk down to you, and treat you like a human being when you are asking about parts and in need of help. If we do not help each other out, this hobby will not grow. Every time someone passes in the hobby it always seems to be one of the good guys, the guys everyone loved because they were nice genuine people who were not afraid to put helping others before themselves.

In short I just hope new guys show up to fill individual's like Jim's kind shoes. We need more Amarks and Bulltears and Controlfreaks, more like Peter Stathes and Galvins and less of those other vendors that like to talk down and degrade those who come to them seeking knowledge and parts (you know who they are). We need vendors who are happy to have their customers, and take the time to go the extra mile for both them and the benefit of the hobby.

RIP Jim, you sound like a class act. Thank you so much for what you have given to the hobby and all those hearts you have warmed in your involvement with these fine AMC products!

Posted By: 70javluvr
Date Posted: Oct/17/2013 at 4:09pm
I attended the services for Jim today in Port Perry ON.  It was great to see several of Jim's "Creations" in the parking lot of the funeral chapel including his own Burgandy and Grey Rambler.  I spoke with his son Darryl and Jane and we shared stories about Jim and how many people he touched.  How no matter how many trips I made to his shop or how many questions I had, he never turned me away, and how it was just 7 weeks ago that we all got together in Indiana at the Auburn/Cord Museum at the AMO show.  I was unaware how much of a Toronto Maple Leafs fan he was, I'll make sure to not hold that agains't him (LOL one more jab for the road old friend).  All the best to Jim's family in this difficult time.

Dion

-------------
70 Javelin Donohue Tribute car Sonic Silver/Shadow Mask/360/Custom Interior

Posted By: Debbie Biot (Rae)
Date Posted: Jan/21/2014 at 2:32pm
I'd like to thank everyone for the wonderful things you've had to say about my Dad, Jim Rae. 

His children, grandchildren, extended family and his many, many friends continue to mourn his passing. He was taken from us far too soon.

There is something that he said many times in and around his quadruple bypass in 2012. "If I die, it's okay because I've lived a great life." That, he most certainly did. He loved life and all it had to offer.

I have found myself often coming to this forum just to read the nice things people have said about him. In a way it brings comfort; just knowing the positive impact he had on so many.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Debbie

Date Posted: Jan/21/2014 at 3:58pm
Debbie.....
Be comforted in knowing that he is ofter remembered and missed by many of us that knew him.   His name comes up frequently at car shows, in conversations and in AMC circles all around the country.

Best Regards to you and your family.....Chuck Page ( moderator team) 

-------------

Posted By: Artful Dodger
Date Posted: Feb/27/2014 at 8:35pm
Is there any info on whether Jim Raes business will be carried on?
He was also a major force behind the AMC show held at Haugens Chicken Restaurant in Manchester Ontario. Any info on whether there will be a show held there this year?

-------------
67, 770, 232 Auto

Posted By: CloudyB
Date Posted: Feb/27/2014 at 8:40pm
From my family to Jim's Our hearts and prayers go out to
his family. He will be greatley missed.

-------------
70 BB Green Donohue

Date Posted: Mar/18/2014 at 6:39pm
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. For some reason the other computer I was using didn't want to log on!!

I asked my brother your questions and this was his reply:

"I am doing my best to supply parts until the business is sold. Anyone in need can e-mail me at darrylrae@live.com and I will do my best to locate what they are looking for. I am actively looking for someone to run or purchase the business in it's entirety to carry on with. Anyone with interest, please contact me.

As for the Rambler-Rama show held at Haugens..... it is put on by Northern Ramblers Car Club and it will not change. The show will be carried on by the club as it has been for years."

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Debbie

Date Posted: Mar/18/2014 at 6:42pm
Hi Chuck,

Still learning the ins and outs on this Forum. I answered your questions in a post near the bottom of the page.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Debbie (Jim's daughter)

Posted By: Trans Canada
Date Posted: Dec/30/2015 at 1:34pm

Posted By: Trans Canada
Date Posted: Dec/30/2015 at 1:42pm
 Bought this car from a fellow that had bought From Jim.....Great car, Jim was a great AMCer!!!meet him many times

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net