Print Page | Close Window

HEEEELP!!!

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Electrical - non engine
Forum Description: Charging systems, lights, non-ignition system, it goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49062
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 4:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: HEEEELP!!!
Posted By: Miss Tillery
Subject: HEEEELP!!!
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:35pm
Have a 1970 AMC Hornet, Its BEAUTIFUL all original, got it for my sons first car, replaced alternator, selinoid, voltage regulator, coil and starter. Needed to change a part in the steering column to get it running, had a neighbor that said he knew cars, well long story short he destroyed the ignition trying to get it out, easy fix....however he broke the part behind the ignition, and now im being told we need a new steering column. They are SO hard to find!! Are there any alternative car parts that can be used? Its a non tilt automatic, shift on the column. Any advice would be great!! Son is fed up and just wants to sell it......Angry

Replies:
Posted By: wantajav
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:55pm
Hello:
...Doubtful if you have to change the entire steering column.

1.Who told you you need a whole new column (the guy who broke yours?)

2.Can you get a picture of the piece that looks broken?

----lots of great folks here with tons of parts they will let go for cheap and they know how to help
----driving old cars can be tough as a first car for a son, (or be the best thing he ever did)

Mike

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 7:22pm
the (mechanic) that fixed the ignition said there is a gap after putting it back together,needs steering column because its is broken,his opinion?

Posted By: wantajav
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 7:27pm
Yes, that is his opinion, if

a.There's a gap

b. Parts left over

he's not done yet. or he swapped in the wrong replacement parts. Might not be his fault someone gave him the wrong part but he should know when there's an issue.....take it somewhere else or give us more info

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 7:58pm
we had one guy trying to fix it,and the (mechanic) is trying to fix what he messed up! he was trying to take off the ignition with a screwdriver? the (mechanic)  came in and found out it was just a wire on cilinoid that was bad and now we have the steering column issue.Do you know of anyone in Fort worth Texas that can check it out?

Posted By: SEdmonds
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:21pm
First of all, welcome to the forum.  These guys are great at helping out. 
Second, with an AMC always beware of Mr. Strangewrench.  Not all mechanics are created equal.  Anyone gets near my car with a screwdriver and starts to "jam" had better watch out for the 5 lb. sledge he's about to get in a delicate area. Exclamation

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:23pm
Well thank you kindly for the welcome Big smile, my son was with him at the time so I had no clue what he was doing to the car, otherwise we may have had a different outcome Ouch haha

Posted By: 71SC360
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:37pm
If you can get some pix, I can help you out. I have tons of Hornet parts, including steering column parts...

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 8:56pm
I can get some pics ,but won't be until tomorrow(too dark) to take pics. but will asap.Thanks

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:06pm
wife took a few pics let me know what you think. Gotta figure out how to upload these ha ha!

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:23pm
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=219832b654&view=att&th=13de249bb0d3e119&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=1431621968145154048-local0&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=219832b654&view=att&th=13de23b37f06cad9&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1431620902486802432-local0&safe=1&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=219832b654&view=att&th=13de2432ac47f02f&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1431621526703046656-local0&safe=1&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=219832b654&view=att&th=13de23b37f06cad9&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1431620902486802432-local0&safe=1&zw

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:25pm
If you highlight the url then right click and press go to url it will pop up pics.

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:32pm
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=219832b654&view=att&th=13de23b37f06cad9&attid=0.1&disp=thd&realattid=1431620902486802432-local0&zw

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:34pm
only way I can get photos on sorry

Posted By: SEdmonds
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:56pm
You have to have 30 posts to put the pictures up unless you have them hosted on a site such as Photobucket.

Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 10:04pm
Ahhh ok got it! I sent you the,pix thanks again!

Posted By: AMX North
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 10:19pm
No problem !Smile
Here are the pics.

-------------
70 AMX/390/Auto Hialeah yellow/Shadow Mask,           Kevin Jones

Posted By: uncljohn
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 10:38pm
I have only pulled a steering column apart using a manual. I do not know what is going on. But I do have a steering column in my stash that is not doing me any good.  I don't remember what it is but if some one has a clue how to deal with this and needs a column I have one. And I can go look it up.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, AMC used GM steering columns.  In general chasing parts over the years if I look for a GM column and take note of the position of the hazard warning switch in general the GM column found is going to have the same parts in it if they both have the same location for the hazard warning switch.  Also I think that the column will be found in a GM car that is a year or two older than the AMC car you are looking for parts for.
At least that has been my experience.
Also my rumor mill sources indicated that a stolen corvette could be repaired inexpensively by purchasing an AMC steering column, the collapsible versions and collapsing it slightly and then installing it.
For what it is worth if needed.

-------------
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam

Posted By: tyrodtom
Date Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 11:38pm
  I can't tell the exact problem just from the photo.  Looks like the upper bearing in out of place,  or bad.  Does it turn smoothly,  or appears to have roughness,  or catches when you turn nthe wheel.   I've had plenty of GM columns apart.

I got a 70 Hornet Auto column I took off my 70.  I check what shape it's in.

What's your location ?

-------------
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.

Posted By: 1970390amx
Date Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 12:46am
after you take the steering wheel off there is a lock plate that keeps the wheel from turnig with the ignition off. Under said lock plate is a spring that loads against a bearing to keep every thing tight. My guess is that bearing was damaged or the lock plate is not installed correctly. Anything in that area of column is the same as similar vintage GM columns except for the outer cover.

-------------
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box

Posted By: 1970390amx
Date Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 12:55am
http://theamcforum.com/forum/tilt-column-rebuild_topic32612_page1.html?KW=tilt+column" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/tilt-column-rebuild_topic32612_page1.html?KW=tilt+column
This is a lot of info on a tilt column, but the area of the turn signal and tumbler assembly is very similar. 

-------------
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box

Date Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 6:39am
I agree, looks like someone didn't know how to install the lock plate correctly or maybe he didn't seat the turn signal switch correctly before he screwed it back down (looks like the signal arm is touching the outside housing). What are the extra parts that didn't get installed when he put it back together? How far down into the column did he take things apart?

In my opinion, the probelm is probably an easy fix, just need the right column experience. Take it back apart (or at least loosen things), make sure that everything is properly seated, and find out where the "extra parts" go.  If you can get someone that knows how to figure it out, let me know if you need any parts for it.

Date Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 7:01am
I've been looking at the pix a little more carefuly and it looks like he took the upper shell case off the column or at the very least, removed the screws that hold it down. It's possible the locking pin, gears are out of sync. so the outer case is not seating properly. It's still not a dificult fix, it's more like fitting puzzle pieces together correctly.
I hope your mechanic is a family member or the back yard type mechanic because there is no excuse for an experienced, well paid, mechanic to make these types of mistakes and then claim you need a new column to replace his lack of ability. These columns are not rocket science and an experienced mechanic can't use the excuse that they only know GM's and don't know very much anbout AMC because these columns are GM supplied parts. The only thing that's different between the GM and the AMC column is the length of the main shaft. 100% of the internals are GM!

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 10:39am
Welcome to the forum. I dont think any one said this but you sould pick up a TSM for the car. It will tell / show how any thing on the car comes apart and goes back together again.

It sounds like person #1 did not know what he was doing and he broke it and either gave up or owner pulled it out of his hands so more damage would be done.

It was given to person #2, maybe in parts, to fix. Now because it might of been in parts and this is not something a person does every day and did not have the TSM he may have winged it and did not get it just right. As others have said it looks as if something is not seated right or the top bearing is busted.
I would think if person #2 had the TSM he would get it right ro see what else is broken so it will be right.
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Date Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 3:09pm
Wow! Thank you everyone for your input! I am located in ft worth Texas........I really hope it's not a steering column I need, and is just a simple fix. Any body know of anyone in ft worth I can take it to?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net