Print Page | Close Window

Rod Bushing service for 390...asap

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47033
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 5:53pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rod Bushing service for 390...asap
Posted By: Plan B
Subject: Rod Bushing service for 390...asap
Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:25am
Hi ,
 I am in need of a shop that can bush my stock rods from my 68 390. Long of the short, without getting into a ton of detail here is that got my pistons and pins from Bulltear and my engine shop (in the rebuilding biz for over 60 years) is not happy with the pins sizing in the rod. He wants a pressed fit and the pins are able to be pushed out by hand. All my rods are in excellent shape and within factory spec coming from a 65k car that my mother drove as a daily driver. If I can't find a shop that can bush my rods I will need a pin that is 1.0001" as the pin we got from Bulltear is 1.000". Matt could not find anything on his end.

My machine shop, Haledon Auto has done motors for everyone I know from my fathers generation in the hobby and has a stellar reputation. The owner told me that everyone he knows that was in the business that bushed rods is closed up. HelpCry

I am all ears. As always thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

Shawn

Replies:
Posted By: tsanchez
Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:30am
Run them full float steel on steel, My engine went 25 yrs with no issue(still look great), when they get bushed you will have to run them full float anyway.

Are the pistons full float?

-------------
http://s192.photobucket.com/user/antonsan/media/jav1_zps87a70dce.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:43am
The pins slide in and out of the pistons with ease and would fall out tilted to the side a bit. Is that what full float means? This is where i get lost not knowing enough basic engine knowledge. Confused

Posted By: vinny
Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:44am
I admit to not too much experience with this piston pin topic but searching 1.001 wrist pin on the Internet comes up with some stuff. 
Sleeving them means you have two surfaces that can creep and I'd try and stay away from that.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 8:48am
Clips or locks are used on the piston to retain the pin and it is allowed to spin on both rod and piston

-------------
http://s192.photobucket.com/user/antonsan/media/jav1_zps87a70dce.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: amx39068
Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 9:03am
Bulltear's pistons have pin lock recesses that hold the pins in place.  I have seen Tony's pistons and rods that he ran for 25 years with some very very hard miles and they are indeed still in as good shape as there they were when he first intalled them.  On the other hand, conventional wisdom says you bush the end of the rods when you have floating pins but Tony didn't listen to conventional wisdom and it worked out fine.  

There is a local marine machine shop in Mesa that bushed a set for one of the engines we did a couple of years ago and the cost was around $200 IIRC.  I suspect you may have an issue with your Machine Shop telling you they won't warranty the engine if the rods aren't bushed because they aren't as brave and pioneering as Tony! LOL

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 9:11am
Many import cars are like this from the factory and so was the chevy 302, not a big deal just drill a hole in top of rod and keep clearance at .001-.0015 and it will be fine.

-------------

Posted By: 390spirit
Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 9:18am
the shop that does my machining bushes rods.....they did mine.

but just like Tony says will work just fine as long as the pistons have provisions for locks.

http://precisionengine.net/" rel="nofollow - http://precisionengine.net/

Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 10:02am
Dan you are correct sir!

Posted By: jeremy0711
Date Posted: Feb/01/2013 at 11:08am
Wow, $200 to bush the rods! I got a deal at 90 bucks! I don't know if those guys take orders through the mail or not. I used a local shop that has been in service a long time and uses older equipment but they have a great reputation. There are shops in town that you can eat off of the floor basically. I like my good ol' boy shop better. Guys like me that roll in the fancy ones every 4-5 years get second based service as their regulars came first in line. I waited for two weeks on my Ford heads that all they had accomplished was a tear down. They were suppposed to be done in a few days. Those heads actually required a bunch of work that they haven't even taken two seconds to even look at.     

Posted By: 74Bubblefender
Date Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 10:07am
Bushing a rod is not a quick task if it is done right. You will need to clean up the bore first then size the bushing and a custom application can take a good deal of time and a good machinist. A jig must be made for these custom sizes or you risk collapsing the top fo the bushing as it goes in and even after rehoning you may loose the bushing, if your not careful.

Did you get it straitened out? I am very curious as to how its going and am rooting for you personally because I heard your story.

-------------
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 7:26am
So the update is as follows. sent the rods out to have them bushed at a place in Tulsa OK http://machineshoptulsa.com/   . I am paying 2nd day air both ways to get them back asap. My builder will be happy and I will be covered should something catastrophic happen down the road. 

I am up against hard deadlines with the baby on the way and the filming for TV of the trip home from the hospital in the AMX with the baby for a soon to be aired new performance automotive show. If the baby comes and the car is not done we have come up with a work around. I can tell you this much, when this TV show does air you will see quite a bit of AMX time and exposure for our brand. After meeting with the producers of this show (I have been helping to get this show to market for a few years) and telling them my story they were all over it. Now I just need paint, and my motor and we are on our way. 

If not for the AMC Forum and its generous members , and the support of my family none of this would be possible. My cousin has been driving this project with me since the 4th of July and we are so close to being done.

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 8:31am
So how is bushing the rods gonna get you a press fit? Or are you now going to full floating, if so its no different than leaving it alone and running it.

-------------

Posted By: 69 ambassador 390
Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 8:57am
All of my Ford FE engines ran full floaters from the factory.  No bushings in the rods at all, just a chamfered hole at the top and steel to iron.  And that was on a cast rod.  Never an issue as that was factory Ford as new.  Do not bush them until needed beacuse you will cause more issues down the road.  FYI!!!

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Posted By: amx39068
Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 10:24am
Steve, 
I am not sure what you are referring to that bushing the rods will cause problems. If done right it is no more or less problematic than non bushed rods.

And as Tony stated, you should now run the pins fully floating as we discussed last week so make sure there is clearance for the pins to float when they bush them and use the lock rings that came with the pistons.  It will make a very nice setup that will outlast your ownership of the car.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Posted By: SKeown
Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 12:16pm

When the factorys overshot dimensions on the rods they dipped the ends in copper/tin to obtain proper size. We're hearing about successfully running floating pins on steel, the thought makes me cringe. With the more common pin sizes they are availiable in oversizes. My rod's bushings were loose, so I ordered the pistons and pins at .929 and had the rods fitted at .001".

SKeown

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

Steve, 
I am not sure what you are referring to that bushing the rods will cause problems. If done right it is no more or less problematic than non bushed rods.

And as Tony stated, you should now run the pins fully floating as we discussed last week so make sure there is clearance for the pins to float when they bush them and use the lock rings that came with the pistons.  It will make a very nice setup that will outlast your ownership of the car.

I was only stating that Factory Fords ran unbushed rods on the FE motors and they are always full floating with factory lock rings.  ALL full floating pistons MUST run lock rings whether factory or aftermarket.  A factory rod would rquire material to be removed for the bushing installation unless the custom piston was ordered with a smaller pin size.  That is not the case here.  The OPs' pin size seems to be undersize for a correct 2000lbd press fit and the correct option here for expedience is to hone the rods for a good full float and install as is with clips.  A better option would be to drill a small hole at the top of the rod also and chamfer for oil supply also.  No need to bush these rods at all, just hone.  What is the resistance to running full float on just the rod casting itself?  does everyone think the aluminum at the other end of the pin is harder and more wear resistant????  If you have an aversion to running stock style circle clips then you could use teflon buttons as well.  My Ford 390s and 428s all were happy with this non-bushed as factory supplied setup on cast rods.  Proven system and as Tony stated, works on our AMCs also.  Bush only as a last resort or for a race engine that will see multiple taredowns.  After bushing once, they are easily replaced and honed to size in the race trailer with hand tools and a press.  Heck, it used to be standard practice to purchas pistons and pins as seperate items and the hand fit the pins  individually.  Every mechanic had a piston pin hone set and it was a part of every rebuild or piston service.  In the early 1960s "PIN FITTED PISTON SETS" became the rage as manufacterers heaped out to press fit assemblies that eliminated a manufactering step.  They are cheaper to make but not better.   

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Plan B Plan B wrote:

So the update is as follows. sent the rods out to have them bushed at a place in Tulsa OK http://machineshoptulsa.com/   . I am paying 2nd day air both ways to get them back asap. My builder will be happy and I will be covered should something catastrophic happen down the road. 

I am up against hard deadlines with the baby on the way and the filming for TV of the trip home from the hospital in the AMX with the baby for a soon to be aired new performance automotive show. If the baby comes and the car is not done we have come up with a work around. I can tell you this much, when this TV show does air you will see quite a bit of AMX time and exposure for our brand. After meeting with the producers of this show (I have been helping to get this show to market for a few years) and telling them my story they were all over it. Now I just need paint, and my motor and we are on our way. 

If not for the AMC Forum and its generous members , and the support of my family none of this would be possible. My cousin has been driving this project with me since the 4th of July and we are so close to being done.
I really hope you sent the pins and pistons also.  The bushed rods must now be pin fitted to run proper clearances.  You will get back rough honed bushings otherwise and the final fitting will have to be done at assembly of the engine.  That is no problem if your shop has the tools.

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 6:18pm
Going to run full float after bushing the rods. Pins were sent with rods for sizing. I can't wait for this all to be finished.

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 6:26pm
Then you  are good to go as long as you marked the pins for the pistons.  Good luck.

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

Posted By: Traveller
Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

I was only stating that Factory Fords ran unbushed rods on the FE motors and they are always full floating with factory lock rings.  ALL full floating pistons MUST run lock rings whether factory or aftermarket.  A factory rod would rquire material to be removed for the bushing installation unless the custom piston was ordered with a smaller pin size.  That is not the case here.  The OPs' pin size seems to be undersize for a correct 2000lbd press fit and the correct option here for expedience is to hone the rods for a good full float and install as is with clips.  A better option would be to drill a small hole at the top of the rod also and chamfer for oil supply also.  No need to bush these rods at all, just hone.  What is the resistance to running full float on just the rod casting itself?  does everyone think the aluminum at the other end of the pin is harder and more wear resistant????  If you have an aversion to running stock style circle clips then you could use teflon buttons as well.  My Ford 390s and 428s all were happy with this non-bushed as factory supplied setup on cast rods.  Proven system and as Tony stated, works on our AMCs also.  Bush only as a last resort or for a race engine that will see multiple taredowns.  After bushing once, they are easily replaced and honed to size in the race trailer with hand tools and a press.  Heck, it used to be standard practice to purchas pistons and pins as seperate items and the hand fit the pins  individually.  Every mechanic had a piston pin hone set and it was a part of every rebuild or piston service.  In the early 1960s "PIN FITTED PISTON SETS" became the rage as manufacterers heaped out to press fit assemblies that eliminated a manufactering step.  They are cheaper to make but not better.   

All the factory FE rods I've seen in the shop have bushed small ends.  We've done a couple 352's, 390's and a 428 this last couple years, and they all came apart with bushed rods that I've changed the bushings out on during the rebuilding process.   They simply get cut out and a new set gets pressed in and sized.  The co-owner of the shop has a 406, we have a couple 428's and some 427 stuff in the shop.   Even the rebuilding books on Ford FE's say that since the FE uses full floating rods, that all the rods were bushed from the factory.  All the FE's I've taken apart had bushed rods, and at least 3 of them were first runs (and TIRED).   The bushings are thin wall, but they are bushings.   The stock spec for the small end is 1.028-1.038 without the bushing, .9752-.9755 with the bushing installed.

The pictures I've seen of Ford FE rods all show a bushed rod and the rebuilding books all show a bushed rod, and replacing the bushing during rebuild.  So where does the info come from that FE Fords use steel on steel?  That's a recipe for disaster.

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 9:28pm
I guess I stand corrected.  It's been 25 years since I worked with the FE's.  But why would steel on steel be a recipe for disaster when steel on aluminum is not.  Tony ran steel on steel for many many thousands of miles and many drag passes.  If clearances are correct and there is ample oiling.  Why a problem.

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

Posted By: SKeown
Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 9:58pm

Steel on steel is not good, no matter if some have gotten away with it. NASCAR runs rods with no bushings, but the wristpins are casidiam coated and EDM pressure fed oiling. Even with those precautions the rod's small ends are turned blue from the heat.

SKeown 

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 10:42pm
And up to 9000+ RPM.  Mant stock rods are not accurate enough in the small end to accept a bushing.  Off center holes are very common. 

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

I guess I stand corrected.  It's been 25 years since I worked with the FE's.  But why would steel on steel be a recipe for disaster when steel on aluminum is not.  Tony ran steel on steel for many many thousands of miles and many drag passes.  If clearances are correct and there is ample oiling.  Why a problem.

The reason is dissimilar metals.  You can run steel against bronze, steel against aluminum, etc.   You can't run some metals that are similar metallurgically against each other, because they tend to gall themselves together.  If the metals in sliding contact have a similar surface hardness, then high spots (all surfaces have high and low spots) can rub against each other, create heat and then microweld.   With steel against steel this happens to the point that the surfaces gall quickly and sieze.  You can run bronze against bronze, and brass against brass.   You can run very hard surface finished steels against other steels, which is why transmissions work.   Constant lubrication is key, as is proper surface finish. 

NASCAR steel rods and pins are finished to a very high level, as are pretty much all the parts in those cars.  They still don't last forever, and you wouldn't do what they do in a passenger car engine.  They definitely DLC coat the pins, which is like running dissimilar metals because of the hardness and polish of the coating.

Titanium is especially bad at galling, which is why we DLC or PVD coat titanium valvetrain components.   Running titanium locks against titanium retainers or especially titanium valves usually causes them to stick to each other at disassembly time.  Putting a PVD (usually ceramic) or better yet a DLC coating on the locks stops the microwelding.   Running DLC coating on steel wrist pins stops galling of the pins in the pistons AND the rods.   Even though they run fine in a street performance engine, some of the race stuff uses quite a bit of vacuum in the crankcase, which cuts down on oil windage.   Windage is what typically lubricates the wrist pins, so they tend to chew into the pistons if you don't lubricate them.   If you DLC coat the pins, they lubricate with much less oil.  Putting oil holes on the rods doesn't help there because there isn't windage for the hole to pick up.   

Steel against cast iron can work, because the metallurgy is different.   Cast iron self lubricates to a degree because of the graphite in the matrix, which is why it's a good block material. 

In engine building, it's all about the package.   You build for specific goals and intended use.   We call it the 90% rule at our shop.  What the engine will be used for 90% of the time dictates the build.  

Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 11:59pm
So tool steel pins on cast iron rods is fine.  No bushings needed.

"
Steel against cast iron can work, because the metallurgy is different.   Cast iron self lubricates to a degree because of the graphite in the matrix, which is why it's a good block material.  "

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 6:20am
My builder did make mention of the strong possibility of galling during our conversation. 

Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 8:22am
I stand beside my statement, it has been done for many yrs with success and for a engine that will not rpm much it would be a non issue, worst that could happen is the pins tighten up in the rod and then its where you wanted in the first place.

We used to do small chevies with stock rods to 8000 rpm for hrs and just the drilled hole at top was enough oil for it, remember the pin and rod are not the same hardness. 

In the end its what your machinist is comfortable with, my guy in Albuquerque was an aircraft machinist and his stuff was spot on. 

I personally would not bush a stock rod, for one the small end strength is compromised and the cost just does not make sense for the aftermarket you can get.

-------------

Posted By: Peter Marano
Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 8:49am
 "  You can run very hard surface finished steels against other steels, which is why transmisions work"

Please excuse this small point of correction.

The contact on a gear tooth face should be rolling not sliding.

Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:00am
Except diffs lol

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

"  You can run very hard surface finished steels against other steels, which is why transmisions work"

Please excuse this small point of correction.

The contact on a gear tooth face should be rolling not sliding.

Actually, it's both.   There are both rolling and sliding forces on gears in a transmission. 

Posted By: Peter Marano
Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:35am
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Except diffs lol

Nicely done!

If I remember correctly that sliding and the resulting efficiency loss was what Ford was after when they developed the non hypoid spiral bevel 8 inch axle.

Posted By: 74Bubblefender
Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:48am

Horse a piece for sure. Lets say you dont run a oil hole and you get gauling and sieze the pin in the rod. Then your retention rings would hold anyways. But far before this happened the oil slots for the pin in the piston would allow the pin to turn in the piston like they do with a pressed rod anyways. Do some timeline work and either way it works out. Personally I wouldnt run a floating rod without a bushing for the simple fact that it may not work out or you may never reuse that rod again. If it did and sometimes it does work out then it is again...a horse a piece.   If you end up with any gauling you could stress that area and cause a crack in the rod. Its a risk. Again this is IMHO.

-------------
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564

Posted By: Hurst390
Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 6:20pm
Terry Richards never ran bushings in his low 10 sec AMX for years and never had a problem..it's whatever your comfortable with...

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Posted By: whizkidder
Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 6:33pm
Been following this thread with interest. Recently pressed some pins out of stock rods after ~25,000 miles.

There is a definite wear pattern on the bottom part of the pins at the edges of the rod contact - where the small ends of the rod were clearly stretching at TDC on the exhaust stroke. The top 1/2 - 2/3 of the pin did not show as much (or any, in some cases):

Interested in thoughts/comments.

-------------
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague

Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:05pm
Detonation

-------------

Posted By: whizkidder
Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Detonation

Hmmm... Hadn't thought about that, but certainly possible. The pattern caused by the pins deflecting, or squishing the bottom half of the small end hole?

-------------
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague

Posted By: amc67rogue
Date Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 9:27pm
IIRC the factory 67-69 Z28s did not have bushings with the full floating pins, they had a copper plated bore .

-------------
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net