Print Page | Close Window

69 SC Journey

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46233
Printed Date: Apr/20/2024 at 9:47am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 69 SC Journey
Posted By: kcsamc
Subject: 69 SC Journey
Date Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 8:58pm
I've decided to start posting the progress of my 1969 Hurst SC Rambler.  At first I wasn't going to do this, as the genesis of this project is now over 2 decades old.  But each time I do some work on it, I realize that it could help someone else on their project car, and for some, just the chance to enjoy the journey along with me.

So... we'll start with some history on the car, and over the next few postings I will race through the last 22 years of activity, or lack thereof, to bring the story up to today.

This SC was bought new at Savage Rambler, in Shillington PA, and has lived its entire life in northern Lancaster Co. PA.  It was driven daily and raced on weekends at Maple Grove raceway.  Running cheater slicks and Dougs headers it turned 13.5s.  in 1976, during a typical daily commute to work, the fan belt flipped off, the engine overheated, and a rod punctured the block.  That was the last day it was on the road.  At 49k+ miles its driving days were over.  By the looks of it, the car sat outside for an undetermined number of years, and passed through a couple hands.  Someon started some restoration work, but thankfully didn't get too far.  A very poor respray of white under the hood only added to the work that needed to be done when I got it.

Fast forward to August, 1990:  two years out of college, married, and now helping a friend work on his 1963 American convertible one evening, I stopped at the local grocery store to pick up a half gallon of ice cream.  Walking out with my favorite vice in hand, I scanned the glass front walls for personal ad postings and noticed a small piece of yellow legal notepad paper with a hand written advertisement selling a "1969 AMC SC/Hurst Rambler".  Needless to say, the temptation of my second vice - Ramblers took over, and within a few days I signed for the car below.  Car as seen removed from the storage barn it was rescued from:

Most folks outside the faithful few diehard AMCers really even knew there was such a car made by AMC in 1990.  Values then were nothing compared to today, and thankfully so.  Over the next couple years, I collected every NOS part I could get my hands on.  I realize today that I should have tried even harder!

In late 1990, my wife and I bought a home with a 3 car garage and I had the space to work.  In 1991 teardown started, but we soon found ourselves preparing for our first little one in 1992, as work slowed.  Still I would get a little time to dismantle and start undercoating removal underneath:

By this time I had set the goals for the car - I wanted a concours correct car, and first and foremost, I did not want reoccuring rust issues with my SC.  I decided I wanted new panels to replace the rusted sections.  Over a couple years time I had located NOS quarters that would fit, and through early 1996, the left quarter was removed, and the inside panel rust was dealt with:

At this time, work came to a near standstill.  Looking back, the combination of adding a new son to the family, and then in September 1996 we sold our '65 440 hardtop 6cyl and buying a car I simply fell in love with at first sight - my 1964 990H (the current January 2013 AMCRC calendar car by the way!) moved my attention elsewhere for a while.  The 270 horses of the '64 990H were fun and ready to go at a moments notice, so I spent what little time I had for cars on that and enjoyed it while the kids were growing up.

Moving on to 2005, I was getting the itch to get back on the Scrambler.  The kids were getting a little bigger, and I wanted to see it on the road again someday.  But, one more diversion stepped in front.  A neighboring piece of wooded property became available that we decided to buy, and build our dreamhome (and my dream barn!).  Property clearing, planning, house (and shop) designing, permits, contractors, building, whew - you name it until move in day in March 2007.  Keeping priorities straight - the Ambassador was the first item to move into the new property in Feb. 2007 (even before the contractors job johnny left!):

The one thing I didn't think about however, was that with a new shop, it was a blank slate - while it looked great on the outside, there was NOTHING inside.  Just enough lighting to pass occupancy inspection the day before the Ambassador arrived.  Also, after having our pockets emptied on all the unexpected extras to get the buildings done, I was on my own to do the work.  So... the Scrambler sat again.  This time I decided, I am working on this shop to get it 100% the way I want it before I start working in it.  Well, that took 3 more years.... I decided to fully set up my AMC memorabila room upstairs, build shelving, run all my electric, paint the shop walls all white, put up lighting, get my air compressor and airlines rerun in the entire shop, set up "shop" and do odds and ends to make it my own.

Finally in late 2010, I grabbed my growing son, and said, "it's time".  We went out and started to work at final cleanup of the Scrambler undercarriage.  That night - my son Eric, got dirt in his eye, and had to go in to wash it out, and I got it so bad in the back from laying on the floor I could hardly move the next day.  I quickly realized, I wasn't as young as I was when I started this project, and that I wanted a rotissiere for this car.  Checking out websites, I decided to buy plans and Eric and I cut, drilled, and welded all winter to make the chicken twirler.  Finally in March of 2011, we hooked the car to the rotissiere and were ready to go!

For the initial posting I will stop here in the story prelude.  I have titled this thread the "69 SC Journey", as that has what this project has become.  When I first started, I wanted a rare, wild looking screamer to go joy riding in.   Now that I am older, I think that the characteristic of patience has set in a little, and this project is much more about the journey than it is about the destination.  I now want to use this project and the time I have left at home with Eric (who is nearly 17 now), to help show him how to use his hands, fix things and enjoy using tools somewhat.  I have also enjoyed the interaction with others, as I have been searching out those last elusive NOS parts for the car, and the fun of sharing the AMC passion with them.

We have been working on that car as much as schedules and time will allow.  It is not a first priority but instead an escape from the daily grind.  In the next couple posts I will run through the progess since getting it hooked up to the twirler.  Hope you enjoy the journey now with us - it will be a couple years more in the making!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
https://theamcforum.com/forum/rare-ragtop-rogue-refurb_topic112071.html" rel="nofollow - 67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)

Replies:
Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 9:09pm
Love the journey so far.

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Posted By: bikerfox
Date Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 10:10pm
Wow--a great story to tell your grandchildren some day!

Also, kudos on the grammatical and spelling correctness of your "story."  Too often, people don't care how they write and your piece was refreshingly different!

-------------
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"

Date Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 8:09pm
Picking up on the journey, in March 2011, a new found optimism filled the shop as the Scrambler was fitted to the new twirler, and we could now finish the job started years before to clean every inch of the undercarriage from its original undercoating.  Here in the northeast, anywhere where the undercoating dried out and cracked, was a conduit for rust to develop, especially on the seams.  So it had to go.  Scraping, and cleaning with degreaser until we had nothing but clean wet rags from the wiping took a little time.  What was unearthed was interesting.  I have documented the entire undercarriage at the following SC/Rambler blog spot:

http://scrambler1969.blogspot.com/2011/05/underbody-powerpoint-presentation.html" rel="nofollow - http://scrambler1969.blogspot.com/2011/05/underbody-powerpoint-presentation.html

What is clear by looking at the photos is that these cars sat on a dolly with certain contact points and the red was sprayed first, then white; what got onto the dark brown primer was overspray, heavier in some areas, almost non-existent where the dolly shielded it.  Also note by the photos, that the bottom edge of the car had hints of blue metallic - several ideas for it have been floated - what do you think?

Eric started stripping and cleaning the floorboards during the summer of 2011, while I focused on fixing the minir rust areas in the lower shifter hump area and gas pedal heal area.  I wanted complete butt welded repair pieces placed in here.  I must say that hand hammering the patch pieces was a bit tough with the contours, and I am no expert at butt welding - thank goodness for the copper paddle and Eric's extra set of hands!

Heal area patch above just prior to welding - this was a nice hand bent fit.

Eric cleaned both floorboards with a 3M scotchbrite wheel and we wash primed and 2K'd the floors:

One big problem we had was that the "LIFT" boxes were crushed in from bottle and floor jacks in the 70s.  Doing a concours restoration has its drawbacks, and this was one - how do you fix that and make it look right?  Well, in every project you make tough decisions.  What I decided to do might seem a bit radical to some, but I decided to cut the floor boards on top like a tin can so that we could get into the backside of the damaged lettering areas, and hammer and dolly out the metal.  Poor Eric got the brunt of it and alll the noise from underneath holding a dolly as I used punches, screwdrivers and whatever else would work to put the metal back in place.  Then I had to make u-shapped backing plates and butt weld the opened areas closed again.  They are under the rear seat, so no harm no foul, and the lift boxes are in much better shape now.  Both sides were done like this:

We'll stop here for today.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
https://theamcforum.com/forum/rare-ragtop-rogue-refurb_topic112071.html" rel="nofollow - 67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv

Posted By: fast401
Date Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 9:09pm
Very nice!

-------------
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com

Posted By: bikerfox
Date Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 11:29pm
Will you do my SC some day, please!!

-------------
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"

Date Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 8:03am
LOL, Would you really want me to take 25 years to complete it!?

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: Zioamc
Date Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 9:04am
got my attention love the title of this thread 5 star rating coming up

-------------
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....

Posted By: 1ownerSC
Date Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 1:17pm
It's great to see another SC/Rambler being resurrected. 

-------------
John McKee

69 SC/Rambler - 1 owner

55 Studebaker Speedster

55 Ford F100

50 Studebaker Starlight Coupe

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 1:58pm
Nice work! Love seeing cars done to this level!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: kmanAMX
Date Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 4:51pm
I'm also from the Northern Lancaster area (Manheim) and my father and his friends told me of a S/C Rambler that used to run at Maple Grove! I can only assume that this is the one. Fantastic job! Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Posted By: ScrambledEgg
Date Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 7:35pm
Very nice write up, very nice job and very nice car. Glad to see you are documenting this Kevin.

Your finding of the various colored paint/primers underneath may be the same thing that is a very well documented use as performed by another manufacturer - Ford did this on many of its Mustangs in the 69-70 era (and possibly other years). Many Mustangs were primed with red oxide primer (most people use DP (LF)-74 to duplicate this color/look today. Many others were done with what they call 'slop grey' (again very well documented). Other Mustangs had brown, blue, green and yes with mettalic in the paint. Ford, in an effort to save money would sometimes blend what colors were left over at the end of a shift, or just save the straight color paint. These 'leftovers' were served up for/on undercarriages the next day and or shift.

I am not sure if that is what may be the case with your car. If there are some some AMC retirees here, they may be able to remember the factory 'ways' and either vindicate or negate this.

Anyway, just one theory.    

PS, here is one thread on the subject for 'slop grey'. Within the link they talk about green paint being used and there is also photos of the green and the slop grey.

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=57226.0" rel="nofollow - http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=57226.0

-------------
ScrambledEgg

Posted By: PlazinJavelin
Date Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 7:54pm
Loving the story and the pictures so far. Body's work is looking great. Looking forward to the chapter on the engine. 

Date Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 9:47pm
Time to finish off 2011 timeline actions tonight. 
One thing I failed to mention about work done in the early 90s, was the engine bay and core support work.  It is obvious that this car, like many lived a very hard and short life.  Both the lower and upper core support boxes were crushed in the center - looks like they used them to get leverage to remove the engine at one time or another.  One day in 1992, the local fire department dropped off a green 69 American 4 dr by chance and told me they were going to practice jaws of life on the car, but I could have anything off the front I wanted as long as it was done within 3 days.  I quickly removed the fenders, hood, and used a reciprocating saw to cut off the front aprons and core support.  I would later graft that green core support onto the front after blasting the whole engine bay in 1993:

The only problem from 1993 - 2011 was that the priming work was no longer any good, and it was lacquer based, so it had to go, so we restripped in 2011 and worked it back up from wash primer through 2K, and also took care of the dings to the firewall (and the vintage hammered area on the right side for more header clearance I guess):

Continuing on, Eric scotch stripped both front fender wells and prepared for priming:
You will notice some filler on the front apron.  We discovered that someone had drilled extra holes in the apron and mounted several things in times past.  Plug welding and light smoothing was necessary.

Upon full undercoat removal, we discovered that several spot welds on the left front subframe were broken loose - we would have never discovered them if we had not removed all the undercoating.  Below are photos of the fix.  I ended up drilling plug weld holes in between the original spot welds to preserve the original weld look, then used deep throat c-clamps to close the metal gap and mig welded the two subframe pieces:
A grinder is still my best friend, after putting the mig gun down.  Maybe someday, I'll do plug welds on sheet metal like a pro.... (above all fixed!)

Did you know that most of your front sheet metal panels have date codes on them?  Can't see most of them until you get the paint off, but here is an example of one on the left front shock tower:
The date above is April 28, 1969.  The latest date code I found so far is 52069 on one of the inside door panels.  It would make sense that most sheet metal would be a month or so in advance of the actual build.  The cowl boxes, door posts, etc also have date codes stamped into them.

Well, as we neared the end of 2011, I wanted to get ready to finally place the NOS left rear quarter panel on.  I pulled it down from the wall it had been hanging on, prepped it with the necessary plug weld holes, and weld thru primer on the lips, and masked it off, to apply the first full coat of white topcoat that I got to spray on the car.  As I stated before, I don't want rust EVER again on this car, so before installing the new quarter - I wanted it as protected on the inside as it is on the outside, and since you can't get to all the places after it is installed, I shot the hole inside, later, we will scuff it down in the trunk area when we do the full paint job:
Protected much better than factory that is for sure!

The pictures below are of the inside of the original quarter - these photos should strike fear into the heart of every American owner.  The panel doesn't look that bad from the outside, pin holes, and the typical circle spot; most of these areas you really can't get to:
\

Well that about gets us to the end of 2011.  Sometime I'll have to go into a little deeper discussion on the problems I found with the NOS quarter panel - nothing is ever easy!

Next up, we'll move into this past year of 2012.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by kmanAMX kmanAMX wrote:

I'm also from the Northern Lancaster area (Manheim) and my father and his friends told me of a S/C Rambler that used to run at Maple Grove! I can only assume that this is the one. Fantastic job! Looking forward to seeing the end results.

This is probably the one your family remembers. I have been told about a Scrambler that used to live in Reinholds, way back. I was told is was painted black at one point and sold before I came to the area in 1988. My car lived the early part of its life in Ephrata.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 10:34pm
Well, we've raced through about 20 years or so of restoration history so far.  As the past year started, work was a little slow with only modest methods of heating the shop, but things got a little busier as the weather turned.  For this winter, we now finally have the water heated floors to keep the cold out of our bones.  To keep heating costs down, we try to work most on weekends.

I started to turn my attention towards doing some work above the beltline early on.  As this story continues you will start to see as I have, that just about every panel will be touched with a welder or replaced or both.  The car lived a hard life at the hands of young adults, and it has plenty of battle scars to prove it.

Most everyone that remembers the 70s, remembers placing speakers in the rear deck of the car  -this car was no different.  So, we had to get the welder out and plug weld and smooth all the screw holes in the rear deck from the now long gone speakers:

We have all heard different stories about where Scramblers were finished and with which batch, etc.  I won't claim to be an expert on how much or if Hurst was involved with any finish assembly with these cars.  I have talked to some owners who say that the roof stripe on their original car started just slightly above the rear window gasket on the white paint.  That would at least point to the possibility that those cars were decaled after leaving the main assembly line - maybe even at Hurst, but who really knows.  Documented below here is a photo of the rear window channel clearly showing that the stripe was put on while on the main assembly line prior to window installation.  This is the way this car will be presented when restored, as it will be correct for this car:

I decided that I needed to document the exact location of the front edge of the decal on the roof before removal.  I used tracing paper to get an exact position. 

I scanned this tracing paper and you can download a copy of it at:

http://scrambler1969.blogspot.com/2012/03/scrambler-scheme-decal-location.html" rel="nofollow - http://scrambler1969.blogspot.com/2012/03/scrambler-scheme-decal-location.html

Getting a tip to use a pinstripe removal disk to remove the roof stripe, I spent several evenings carefully removing the roof decal.  I ended up burning through 1 1/2" disks doing it.  Buy (2) for starters if you have to do the same - that origiinal stripe is baked on!  The last little bit of removal documented for history's sake:

Off and on during 2012, I have spent some time working on the roof.  There are a number of shallow dimples, mainly along the crown.  When my dad first saw the car, he laughed and said - "you know why they are probably along the roof edge?  probably because the burnout pits were so loud, a lot of times the crew members would chop the roof to get the driver's attention".  Well, who knows if that is right - but at least it makes for a good war story...

Careful stripping of the roof provided information to how they seamed the roof at the c-pillar.  Factory did a solid weld (as seen by the raised line in the photo below), and then covered with a thin layer of light pink body filler - yes, they used some sort of filler in 1969.  There is also a brazed spot at the rear window channel and over filled with lead there.

I have discovered a flaw in the roof line on every Scrambler I have looked at since seeing it in mine this spring (probably on the Rogues too, but haven't checked non-69 cars yet).  If you look at the drip rail from the rear of the car, you will see that the right side sucks in just above where you see the weld line in the photo above.  The left side looks much more in line with the rest of the drip line.  This is causing me some trouble getting a nice feather edge on re-application of filler on the c-pillar.  I believe that what I get when done will better looking than the factory job that was done, but there is no way to correct the drip rail body line.

First pass filling in the photo below,  end product is just a thin skin over some shallow imperfections.  The left side is about done now, and I hope to do some primer shooting on the roof sometime this next month in 2013:

Before signing off for today, I thought I'd show one Scrambler only modification that I never knew about until last year.  I had seen the mangled cowl rib seam in the front wheelwell area, but never really thought much about it.  After getting a copy of the factory document - 3635636, I saw that the mangled section in the wheel well area was a factory modification on SC's only:

OK, so let's be honest now, how many SC fans/owners knew that?  Hands up!  I have to admit, I didn't know it until I put the document together with the physical characteristic on the torn down car.  I guess they were worried about front tire clearance?  Seems odd that there would be concern in the front wheel wells...

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 8:16pm
Spring and summer 2012 seemed to pass by pretty quickly with yard work, etc. but we did accomplish a lot during a couple weeks.  By mid-spring i was anxious to get the NOS quarter layed up on the left side.  i had been over 15 years since it had a panel on it, and it was over due.  I great friend of mine in the AMC hobby lives close by, and is a lifelong body shop man, so I asked him to provide moral, mental and physical support to the fitting of the panel.  Unobtainium is not something you want to risk messing up!

At the factory, the quarter panels were applied to the shell, and then the roof / c-pillar.  As I had stared at the panel and then the body - I knew we were in for some challenges.  How do you get the panel lip up under the c-pillar?  I won't go into details, but it took both me and my friend's experiences and wits to cut the least, and protect the integrity of everything, but that was just the start of the issues.  We found that the fit around the wheel lip and rear tail panel were very tight.  It wouldn't fit over the rolled lip the way it should.  We decided to let it sit and think about it a bit, and picked it back up a week or two later when we had time.  When my friend came back the next time he said - I think we need to jack the body under the rear leaf spring front support area.  So we got the jack, some long boards, and put a couple pumps on the handle - all of the sudden the panel just slid onto the wheel lip.

Even though our measurements when we put the car on the rotissiere indicated that we didn't any appreciable body distortion, the center of the car was sagging just a little, and just enough to keep the panel from fitting right.  Boy was I relieved to see that problem go away!  But we still had one more challenge - how to get the rolled lip without distorting the quarter panel.  My friend was braver than I and asked what kind of hammers I had, we decided on an old 2 lb copper hammer that was my grandfathers from way back.  It was just the right tool for the job,  Careful springing of the inner panel with a block of wood and using the copper hammer, we got the wheel lip to look very factory!  Photo below just after the battle was over!:

I still today have some welding on the panel to finish so that I can move over the right panel and start removing it, but am hoping to report progress on that in a couple weeks.

As mid-summer approached, I was looking forward to taking the July 4th - Boston, MA AMO Nationals weekend off, and had plans to do some large quantity sand blasting efforts before heading north.  I was undecided about whether to try to get the rotissiere outside this year and do the whole bottom of the car, or to work on exterior panels.  I decided for the panels, so that I would have work for months into the future.  First on the agenda, get all the NOS and original panels down out of storage and prepare them for blasting:

In all, we decided to work on the left NOS door, right NOS quarter, NOS rear tailpanel, NOS right front fender, and original gravel pan.  If we had time we would try to get to the left fender. We had one week, which I thought was a lot, but if everyone remembers the weekend after the 4th was nearly 100 degrees & 100% humidity.  Yeah - not good for blasting outside, and I knew that I had to get primer down ASAP after blasting.

One natural resource we have on-site is trees.  We made good use of them, bailing wire, boards, buckets and a big Harbor Freight tarp to make a cheap but very effective outdoor "blasting box".  And because of the trees - we had shade each day until noon to keep the heat down:

We didn't have time to blast the left front fender at this time, we did it later as I'll document next time.

What I didn't bargain for was the necessary body work afterwards.   The gravel pan was a bit wavy from dents, etc, the NOS door & right front fender had surface imperfections and dimples from shelf wear, and I found out that the rear tailpanel had a factory spot weld blow through on one of the taillight boxes, AND that it was not exactly correct for 1969.  Did you know that the 1969 panel is different than the '67-68?  Well I didn't until after blasting.  For 67-68, they punched the holes for the rear emblem, and they used thin sheet metal tabs for the wire harness, vs 1969 having resistance welded on "nail heads" - to be used with small black wire hangers.  I'll detail that more at another time, as I haven't figured out what I will do about the harness tab issue yet.  So, we still had some welding, grinding, and smoothing of the panels before painting.  The shop was full, and was kind of fun to move from one panel to the next doing different things for the couple days we had:

Running out of days, we got the panels hung around the shop first thing Tuesday morning before the AMO Nationals and got ready to wash primer and 2K each panel inside and out - it was close quarters!

Five panels in all primed inside and out.  Boy that took a number of trips back the workbench for more paint mixing!  It was a long day, but at least the goal was accomplished, and we could close the door and go enjoy some vacation, AMC flea market and car show for the next couple days.  It was nice having Eric around the whole time too, as he was a big help during the sandblasting process running equipment, and then helping on the panels as we prepped them for painting.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/11/2013 at 8:46pm
Tonight, I guess we'll talk about front fenders.  Some may be wondering why I am changing out the right front fender, rear tail panel and left door with NOS.  Well, all had body damage to some extent;  the right front fender was screwed up on the lip, a heavy crease in the fender that ripped open the wheel lip - not totally unfixable, but definitely not desirable to use.  The rear tail panel was hit at some time - almost looks like the forks on a forktruck hit it, making it nearly impossible to fix and make it look right.  The left door has a heavy crease below the bottom body line and split on the inside of the door at the vent wing.  The door was probably very fixable, but Lee Peterson nearly begged me to take the door he had back in the early 90s and use it on the car, so I agreed.

After getting back from the AMO Nationals, I still had the outdoor blast area setup, and a left fender that needed to be cleaned up.  First step was undercoating removal.  Eric spent some time with a propane torch and a putty knife to remove all the stuff seen in the photo below:

Bit rusty up around the front headlight, actually good to get them off at restoration and repaint underneath, as the undercoat only went as far as the rubber seal to the fender.

Fender date codes are stamped on the backside of the lip where it bolts to the apron back near the hood hinges.  Making out the complete date code without taking them off is difficult, you might see the distortion from the top side, but making out all the numbers is doubtful.  After cleaning off the sealers, and paint - the code on the left front fender became clear:

Sorry, the photo is upside down.  It reads:  A5  1  69   (May 1, 1969).  Guess the "A" is American?  Again, consistent with other date codes found.

Looking around at the front fenders before stripping, I documented some factory imperfections in the paint.  Pebble Beach would be agast if a car drove onto its show field looking like this - but I think it is cool, and may decide to at least replicate the taping error one on the car:
You can see the above, where the red was not fully covered when the white was sprayed.  A small triangular section of red was still showing when the factory masked it off.

Below - you can see that the black pin striping, which was supposed to straddle the red-white paint edge, didn't quite do the job as it nears the wheel lip on the right front fender.  I think I'll try to make it straight on the restoration!
The right fender is now retired, and will act as reference material for the restoration, and hang on the wall upstairs as wall art.

After blasting the left fender and getting wash and 2K primer on the inside, we were anxious to do a test mounting of both fenders and do some body work on the outside while hard mounted to the car.  Pouring through the many boxes of parts removed back in 1991 (and yess, well tagged) I found every not and bolt but the front fender clips and bolts.  We searched everywhere...  While I still haven't given up, I did want to move on.  Searching the parts books, I found out that the American front clips are the same as the 63-64 Classic/Ambassador, and I knew a friend was parting out one, and he was more than willing to help.  We got the clips in about a week, cleaned them up and used some bolts from other teardown projects.  These clips are getting as rare as hens teeth (take note everyone - make sure you take these off any parts car or junckyard car you find!!!!)

The Scrambler finally had four fenders back on and actually looked like a car again, even if only for a short time!

Time to get the holes drilled in the new right fender.  Tracing seemed to be the only accurate way to get the positions accurate.  Starting with the original fender:

Now move it over to the new fender:

Emblem fit?  Check - they haven't been on the car in 2 decades!

One last major project exists on the right front fender.  We need to roll the lip like the factory fender.  Probably later in early February, I'll be able to document the completion of that effort.

Won't be able to continue the thread until Sunday night.  When we continue, we'll be moving on to the hood and efforts to retire the original hood with another replacement.

I am hoping that this thread provides not just a log of work done, but also helps someone else figure out how to get something done on their car, or provide a piece of information that will help you also.  I definitely don't know all that much as compared to others who have restored car after car, but I have spent most of my life learning and doing bodywork.  My dad had a home shop when I was growing up in the 70s, so I got to work on a wide variety of 60s and 70s cars doing bodywork, and near restoration.  Falcons, Novas, Beetles, Mustangs, Olds Cutlass, even a full restoration of a 71 Jeepster were just part of the experiences I was priviledged with growing up.  Hoping now to repeat a little of that for the next generation!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 7:12pm
When we last left the storyline, it was the fall of 2012, just a few months back.  Having the front fenders temporarily mounted, I now had the chance to do some primer blocking work, and got to try out the newer tech Durablocks and Guide Dust.  This process is perhaps my favorite part of restoration - the blocking.  It is fun working out those final imperfections.  Back in the 1970s and 80s when I did a lot of work with my dad, we just had  SW Super Combo lacquer primer, a simple 5" sanding block and spray bomb black lacquer (guide coat!) for this job, but I have to say that the Durablocks in 11" length are really nice for this process, and the 2k primers can be blocked forever.  The front fender and left door during some early blocking:

After hosting the PA AMC crowd for a fall AMC picnic, we got back to work on the car in November.  I had decided that Eric's winter project was going to be the sanding and prep work on the new hood, but we were going to have to work on all the SC modifications together for him to be able to do the bodywork himself.  The original hood played host to one too many after race parties back in the day, and there is no way to restore it properly.  All the reflections in the photos here are dents!:

The story on the replacement for the original hood (which will now become retired wall art upstairs soon), begins many years back.  I got a call from a friend back in the early 90s telling me if I was game to come down to center city Philadelphia with my truck, that he had a lead on a bunch of used 69 American parts.  So we took off for one of the rough neighborhoods of the city and found basically a bunch of panels, and mechanical parts in the basement.  We split up the booty (all free, just to get it out of there), and I got a 69 hood in very good condition.

About the same time, my dad was clued into the junkyard location of a trashed out Scrambler here in PA.  Turned out the yard owner would sell me the whole car if I wanted, but I wasn't overly interested in transporting a whole car, so we made him a deal for a certain dollar amount (ultra low figure) that he would let us take everything we wanted off the car in an 8 hr day.  With truck, tools and burning torch in hand, 3 of us went at this Scrambler below (RIP...) and took everything of any value.  The hood was even more toasted than mine, but we burned out the flapper box and kept it:

To start the new hood project - we drilled out the spot welds from the old hood side on the above salvage SC flapper, and had it ready to use on our hood:

First step for working the hood, was getting a fix on the original location.  Eric did the tracings, learning the art of pencil rubbings:

During a conversation about how the factory made the 1500 hoods, we were able to imagine an engineer at the plant taking a piece of hood sheetmetal, and making a template to be used on all the hoods, and probably a prep worker cut and drilled the hoods from the template.  Wrong!  While I can't say how they did it - we were able to overlay the one hood cutout (salvage) over the original hood and it is clear that the cutouts from hood to hood do not match (look close, you will see that the salvage hood cutout is much larger than the car's hood):

We did our best to make the hole template work well to fit up to the salvage flapper.  After using the original hood scoop and tracings, we had all the holes, including the hood pin holes in a good position to move forward (or so we thought):

Eric, finishing the rough edge filing
Factory original scoop in place - fits!

Next posting, we'll pick up and finish the major hood metal work done in December and just after the first of the year.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: underdog57
Date Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 1:27pm
Very nice progress Kevin . A highly detailed job . Be nice to see it as it progresses and eventualy finished
Bob

-------------
SC/RAMBLER1969 More Sc/Rambler info than you can handle . http://scrambler1969.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: Jan/15/2013 at 10:32pm
OK - tonight we finish to prelude to the current storyline on the Scrambler.  At the end of the last posting, we were heading into December of this past year.  We got a little work done through the holidays, but as everyone knows, as the weather cools, and the list of holiday activities, etc increases, the car sit a little.  Still we were able to get some work done on the replacement hood.

I have always prescribed to the mantra that you shouldn't move forward with your project until you understand everything you have to do, and have everything lined up.  Well, we thought we were lined up to go when we started locating all the SC hood scoop holes.  I was planning on restoring my original hood scoop, which had been upstairs in a box for years.  I knew it wasn't in the greatest shape, but I have to say when I got it out, that the cracks, and breakouts at the fasteners, etc really got me a bit worried.  Add to that the years of age on the fiberglass, and I didn't know if I really wanted to try to fix it, and if I did, would it really hold up well?  We pushed forward with bolt hole placement with the old scoop, but the whole time, I was wondering if there was a new option out there to replace it.  I had already decided that the factory hood would get shined up in original condition and go on the wall upstairs.  I started thinking that maybe the original scoop deserved to be retired with it, and join it.  But what about that concours look I desired....

After Thanksgiving, I was bopping around here on the Forum, and found Stephen Stull's advertisement for a brand new scoop, and the photos convinced me I could be very happy to use it on my car.  I started conversation with Stephen, while starting the joining of the flapper box to the new hood:

Above:  I decided to glue (3M Panel bond) in the flapper box rather than drill holes and MIG plug weld the flapper box into the hood.  I had seen somewhere that those buying the fiberglass version are doing that, and I liked the idea to minimize panel warp.

At the same time, I needed to take care of dried out adhesive caulking on the frame - outerskin bond.  All three hoods I have are showing signs of the adhesive releasing, and I knew that I wanted to get them back together permanently.  The only problem is that you need some pressure on the frame for about 4 hours...  I ended up placing everything dense in the shop I could find on the frame to keep them together while the 2 part epoxy cured.  We tried hard to recreate the ugly looking caulking blobs in between the panels and how it oozed out!  We kept the original hood close for inspiration on the caulking globs - wasn't able to make them quite as ugly as the factory, but we did try!

Kind of thought the rig above looked ridiculous, but it got the job done.  The next day, we cleared everything off and flipped it over for a first view of the product:

Right around Christmas, we got the new scoop from Stephen Stull, and we were curious to see just how close it was to the original scoop.  Some photos we took:

What we found next was a temporary letdown, but it's just one of those things you have to deal with when you change directions in a project - no matter how small of a change.  We found that only (3) of the (8) scoop mounting holes we had just drilled in the new hood were in the location needed for the new scoop.  There is nothing wrong with the bolt location on the new scoop - they just happen to be different from my original (who knows how close each OEM unit was to each other either....)

It was clear that we were going to have to do something that kind of struck fear into me - I was going to have to MIG plug weld (5) holes shut right in the middle of my hood, and deal with any warpage that might occur.  We finally got up the courage to spend a complete Saturday afternoon on it on Jan. 5th.  Eric held the copper paddle tight against the inside of the hood, we surrounded the holes with a cool damp rag, and tentatively went at it.

Overall, the welding went well.  No appreciable warpage occurred - but we were holding our breath on one outside one.  We made a new hole template tracing for the new scoop, and set and drilled the new holes.  We were very happy to end the day with the new scoop dropping into place on the hood, and no longterm issues to deal with, Whew - dodged a bullet on that one!

With the good weather outside that Saturday, Eric also got to spot blast the back corner of the hood where it had some surface rust, and then we boxed up the new hood scoop and put it in safe storage for a little while.  Eric can now focus on stripping and bodywork on the hood.

After the nerve racking Saturday, I still had the welder out, and wanted to do something small and fun on the day after, on Sunday.  I had pulled out the old battery box tray and the replacement tray pan a month or so back, and decided I wanted to fab up the restored box.  The replacement tray was bought so long ago that it was getting a little surface rust on it!

I had separated the original brackets from the original tray (see below), and mounted up all three pieces to the front fender apron for correct angle / location.  I was then glad to be able to put to use the Hobart spot welder I picked up, nice used, this past year to spot weld the brackets onto the new tray, in the same manner that the factory attached them.

Getting everything cleaned up in the blaster, it was hung and shot with some self etching primer for safe keeping:
It was nice to have a small project for once that I could do from start to finish quickly and have just the right tools to do it well.  The right tools make all the difference!

Well, there you have it.  Last weekend we traveled to deliver our daughter back to college, and this week is Barret Jackson - looking forward to some couch time and watching the Scramblers cross the block tomorrow night!  (Lot # 499.1, and 500!)

Hopefully we'll get some shop time this Saturday.

I will be posting a couple other surprises over the next several days that relate to the story, and that followers should enjoy, and hope to report some progress on the actual car during the next weel or so.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:05pm
First - I must say, great job by Speed Channel (finally) on the coverage of the Scramblers.  And hats off to Matt Wilson and his old car for doing a great job promoting the underdog last night.

I promised to through in a few related stories to the main project over the next few posts.  Below is the first one.  Those of us that live in Eastern PA are blest with the proximately of the original and still very active epicenter of the antique car hobby.  The Carlisle events are only 56 miles away, and the Fall Hershey (grand daddy of them all) is only 33 miles for me.  For 25 years Fall Hershey has been my favorite fall destination.  For us diehards, it is what I call our "hunting season" (PA is known for it's avid deerhunters, but us AMC guys know that 80+ acres of car parts with only a handful of AMC parts is a much harder thing to hunt for than a white tail deer!).

Each year, I usually find something of an AMC treasure; most years it has been some sort of a memorabilia or dealership item, but parts are still out there too.  Out of good fortune during the 2011 hunting campaign at Fall Hershey I happened upon a license plate that just struck me that I knew from somewhere.  I asked the vendor to tel me about the plate - he proceeded to say it was an NOS AMC dealer plate - I knew something was up with it.  My AMC friend with me at the time said - yeah, that's the plate from the 1969 brochure cars.  Sure enough it was.  So 2011 yielded the front license plate that will go on the Scrambler:

In August 2012, the state of Pennsylvania finally approved use of vintage state license plates for antique cars.  I have always loved the purple and white PA antique plates, but for a number of years now, the state has made an ugly plate with the picture of somebody else's old car on it.  I quickly deciced that a vintage 1969 PA plate was on my shopping list for 2012 Fall Hershey.

A lot of vendors at Hershey have used PA plates for sale.  A couple have "NOS" plates, and I found one that even had "NOS" registration stickers.  Ultimately I made the decision to get a distinctive low number mint "NOS" plate for the rear, and a set of "NOS" 69 stickers.  While happy with it, if I ever found a similar plate with "390" on it, I would replace this one in a heartbeat, but I think this one will do fine.  So to go along with all the NOS hardware, it will have NOS licence plates to top it off!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 8:12am
This post is to engage all those date coding and door tag gurus out there that know how to decifer the info.  I have provided some component part date coding above, but have always been interested in knowing what week my car may have been put together.

If anyone knows the answer - lets hear from you!

My door tag has the following information:

Body ID:   61668
       Paint: SPECIAL (not that this should help,but since there are so many variants...)
       Body Tag No.:  E101759

It's cold out in the shop today, but think I'll try to warm it up as best I can and go do some work on the car Smile

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: theamcguy
Date Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 1:34pm
Kevin, the week of:
17 May 1969 ended with Body Tag Number 99553

the week of:
23 May 1969 ended with Body Tag Number 105614

Therefore your car was built somewhere between 17-23 May 1969 

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham
AMCRC. AMCWC, AMO, NAMDRA

Date Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 6:20pm
Bill - kind thanks for providing some great detail information.  A couple questions come to mind.  I checked a calendar for 1969.  May 17 was a Saturday, May 23 was a Friday.  Would the day differences have indicated the actual days they worked that week?  Looks like May 26 would have been Memorial Day, so maybe they cut off on Friday for the long weekend?  I guess who knows.

Anyway, to help a bit further:  The trunk date code is 51669, and I believe i had one of the interior door panels stamped as late as May 20th (I need to check this fact for sure).

Doing a little math off your information above, depending on the actual number of days they worked that week, and assuming that the body numbers represented a sequential build, would predictably put an assembly day of 5/20 or 5/21.

Thanks for your help!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 9:01pm
Heated up the shop today, and Eric and I got some time to work on the car.  Eric got to scraping and sanding on the inside of the hood:

I had decided that I wanted to wrap back around and work on the front core support.  If you recall earlier in the storyline, I had to take the original core support off and replace it with a donor unit.  Many may wonder why I have so many panels to replace. Well to do the work I had to do today, I pulled the original core support down from upstairs to use as a template and documented the following damage from its war time tour of duty:
Lower box, front side above
Lower box, back side below
Yeah, that bad....

But we're not done yet, top box here below:

The above is a testament to how this car in particular, and how many more like it were just abused, all in the name of going fast!  There was no way I was going to try to fix that...

The donor core support was welded on back in the mid-90s, but I had left one portion of the change-over undone for years - taking care of the SC/Rambler unique right hood plate pin addition:

Today was going to be the day to fabricate the new plate for the donor core support.  After evaluating the attachment of the original, I decided to not try removing the original due to spot weld melt, and I also wanted to redrill the hole fresh through all pieces.  So we started with a gauge thickness check:
The steel on this plate is thicker than the panel sheet metal, so I wanted to make sure.  0.060 equates to 16gage mild steel, and I just happened to have a box of scrap metal from a project back in the 80s with pieces of 16gage - I was in luck today!

Next step, create a paper template from an index card.  Just for history, and to help anyone else out with the correct sizing of this SC special peice, I put the dimensions right on the template:
Time to cut metal, grind and double check to the template:

Metal cleaned up, sprayed with weldthru primer, and clamped in place with location marks.

Time to get the spot welder out!  In this case, the Hobart HSW15 hand spot welder wasn't 100% up to the task.  It is made to do up to 1/8" total thickness - in this case with (2) 19gage and (1) 16gage, we were over the max, and it showed.  Took quite a bit of heating to get to a decent weld, and a look close to the factory, but I think it turned out to be a reasonable copy of the original:

A quick shot of etch primer to prep it for the next time the 2K primer gun comes out, and I was finished with this project until the hood is mounted and we can double check the hood pin hole location together and then drill the holes in the core support.

LOL LOL, worked over 4 hours on a 1 5/8" x 3 3/16" piece of metal!  I said this was about the journey!  Don't ever ask me how many hours I have into the car when it is done - I never kept track, and by seeing all the more I got done today, I can only image what the final total will be.  But it was fun today, and that's all that matters.  Air tools, bench grinders, welders, paper templates, micrometers, scrap metal, and some paint - what else could you ask for on a winter Saturday?

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: Ohio AMX
Date Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 9:17pm
It's great following along, I admire your skill and attention to detail! Just wondering if you've ever considered media blasting your body panels? I routinely have this done whenever donor parts are used, or if there is heavy paint build up. It's money well spent as it removes every trace of old paint and surface rust.

-------------
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983

Date Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 10:30pm
Ohio AMX: I do selective media blasting on panels. For instance, the donor core support was media blasted before welding on. Also, a lot of the new sheet metal was media blasted this past summer (see previous post). I am a bit worried about the amount of media blasting done on the flat panels on the top of the car and have never done hoods, trunks, or roofs that way, worrying a bit about warpage. I was even concerned with the large quarter panels, but with just a light strip of the factory primer and a little surface rust, I tried to keep the gun moving.

Truth be told, I just hate doing open media blasting, and will avoid it where possible on large pieces that don't have pitting rust. We did media blast the corner of the hood that had some rust on it, but kept it minimal. I also hate the trapped media in double paneled pieces like the hood.

I do plan to media blast the whole underside of the car this spring or summer, but don't relish trying to clean out the frame boxes when done.... All pieces that fit I the blast cabinet will get done by media for sure!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 11:13pm
Great Job Kevin! I love seeing cars being built to this level and the documentation that goes along with it.

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 9:42am
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

Bill - kind thanks for providing some great detail information.  A couple questions come to mind.  I checked a calendar for 1969.  May 17 was a Saturday, May 23 was a Friday.  Would the day differences have indicated the actual days they worked that week?  Looks like May 26 would have been Memorial Day, so maybe they cut off on Friday for the long weekend?  I guess who knows.

Anyway, to help a bit further:  The trunk date code is 51669, and I believe i had one of the interior door panels stamped as late as May 20th (I need to check this fact for sure).

Doing a little math off your information above, depending on the actual number of days they worked that week, and assuming that the body numbers represented a sequential build, would predictably put an assembly day of 5/20 or 5/21.

Thanks for your help!

The information came from here:

F.H. Brodek, Car Build Dates - 1969 Series, American Motors Corporation Interdepartmental Letters, January 28, February 25, April 23, May 26, and September 19, 1969.

The days by and large line up week by week but there a few odd balls where one week ends one a Friday or in some cases a Thursday.   

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham

Date Posted: Jan/21/2013 at 9:06pm
Had a couple hours tonight to spend, and with the bending cold snap on the way overnight, I knew it would probably be the last time during this week that the shop would feel warm enough to do anything.  Decided to get back onto welding the left quarter panel fast tonight.  Working from the top down.  Did the roof line and around the window last year, and then stopped.

After tonight - the panel is definitely married to the SC/Rambler.  Started welding on the inside along the window felt sweep lip.  Panel was prepared with plug holes here:
I still need to improve on my plug welds.  Thank goodness for the ability to grind and smooth.  I am finding welding on the NOS panel to be a bit nerve racking - you just don't want to screw it up...

I'll be moving down the door edge at the next chance, using the spot welder on that area.

I want to throw out a longshot trade opportunity to anyone in the northeast - mid Atlantic region (or within reasonable driving distance).  After finishing the welding on the left quarter, I will be turning attention to the right quarter panel.  The NOS panel I have media blasted, and primed and ready is a convertible quarter.  Should anyone out there be planning on putting an NOS right hardtop panel on a convertible, and would like to trade - let me know.  Yes, I realize that's probably a million to 1 odds, but stranger things have happened.  I know what I have to do to use the convertible quarter, and I'm prepared to do so, but it would be great to get the correct panels into the right hands to do the work on both cars.  My panel is ready to lay on a car, so if you have one with factory primer - you'd make out on the deal.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 7:42pm
20 degrees outside.  Way too cold to try to warm up the shop for a short stint in the evening.  Time to think of something warm.  Made me remember the hot summer weekend here in Lancaster Co., PA when the whole AMC hobby arrived to celebrate the multi-National AMC club event in 1994.  One of the biggest AMC gatherings outside of Kenosha.  It was also the celebration of the 25th anniversary of the SC/Rambler and the end of the Rambler nameplate (at least in US).  If I remember correctly, the thermometer topped 95 that weekend, and was dripping with humidity.

I believe 13 SC/Ramblers converged on the show field that day, another record up to that day in 1994.  What very few knew however, was that #14, was still sitting in pieces just 2 miles away.  I had hoped to finish the car for the event, I guess now looking back, that was just a dream.  Being the chapter chairman for Appalachian Trail Chapter AMCRC, and co-chair for the multi-club mega-event, pretty much took two years of our lives to execute.

Anyway - enjoy the photos of the SC's from the '94 Nationals.  Sad part was, I was so busy with the event that the only time I got with the SC/Ramblers was what time it took me to shoot these photos!  If you were here with one, you might see yours below:

Hopefully these photos warm you a little if you are stuck in the frozen north tonight!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 8:48pm
neat pictures nope my SC was not there your doing a great job on the SC keep them pictures coming

-------------
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....

Date Posted: Jan/27/2013 at 5:47pm
No progress this weekend - too cold, and we decided to check out the Philly Auto Show for a Saturday activity. Honorable mention - they had a 1948 Hudson Convertible in the Racing History section - giving tribute to the step down design and its dominance in NASCAR.
A little while back I promised to wrap back around at some point and show some of the issues with using NOS sheet metal. This post will followup on that topic.
Ever since I can remember from working with dad in his shop, NOS replacement sheetmetal never came with perfection - there was always some dimple, lesser fit quality, or something. Even when the cars were only a few years old. Today, none of us expect the NOS sheetmetal to be dent free, but what I've found with the panels for this car, are verging on ridiculous.
NOS left rear quarter panel: The rear of the panel wraps around and the top is spot welded to an extra piece in the corner where the trunck comes down - spot weld was a cold weld - had to punch a hole and plug weld it back together. (Sorry - no photos of that one). On the other end, one night I was studying both the old and the new panel together and realized that a whole bracket was missing on the new fender, and that several holes were missing on the post metal - see if you can pick up all the missing issues below:

I have to say, that's a first for me.  Dents, etc, yea - but missing parts and a total of (3) missing holes?  Somebody was sleeping that day - reject! send it to the replacement warehouse!

Below are a couple shots of the repairs needed.  I had to spot weld drill off the old bracket from the old panel and weld to the new one...
Guess nothing is supposed to be easy...

Moving on, this past summer we got the new right front fender, and just before blasting, we found the whole front headlight bucket to be flapping:

All the factory spot welds were cold welds once again, and never held.  Drilling a few more holes in between the factory welds and plug welding resolved this one too, but makes you wonder how many factory spot welds on your car actually do anything, huh?

One last item before signing off.  Thought you might like to see something I found when we stripped the left inner apron panel.  Stamped from the inside is the word  "DENCO" very near the brake line bracket.  Anybody know why?  Just one of those interesting but useless pieces of trivia:

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 9:35pm
Weird weather we are having!  Last week got down into single digits overnight, today, the temperature skyrocketed to near 60 in the afternoon.  But it did make warming up the shop easy, so I took advantage of the temps.  Last time, I got the belt-line lip welded on the left quarter.  Tonight, I started moving down the inside on all the post welds.  The original panel for reference:
You can see that there is a second line of welds out near the door edge.  I've always wondered how the factory was able to blind spot weld areas like this and also the (2) welds along the rocker edge.  You can't get pinchers in from both sides, and a spot weld needs heat from both sides to melt together...

Anyway, some welds I can do with the spot welder, others I have to do with the mig as hole plug welds.
Clamping the lip edge, and starting down the seam with spot welds:
Took a little work to draw in the rounded section, but patience is the rule when working with a material like unobtainium Wink

Anything around the shop can help when trying to apply some specific pressure, even a chisel and a clamp!
Plug welding the outer edges and grinding, pretty much has this area finished up.  A couple areas to do some fine detail work on but otherwise, not bad.
Next time, I'll move onto the bottom edges, again a mixture of spot and plug, but as many plug welds as we can to give that factory look.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Feb/02/2013 at 9:23pm
Heated up the garage today, and spent time on the car..., although I really don't have much progress to report.  Guess you could say I spent a bit of time prepping for next steps.  Hoping to do welding along the bottom edge of the quarter and inside of wheel lip tomorrow afternoon.

I did notice a few things today, one while working with some bolts and another below that I saw by being upside down looking up at the doors.

First for some trivial trivia - Eric was working on the hood, and I saw that the hood hinge bolts were still threaded in.  Took them out and cleaned and tapped the threads on both the hood and the bolts.  Then I threw the bolts in the bead blaster to clean the heads, put a light coat of primer on and bag and tag them for latter.  Just before putting them in the bag, I noticed - the "P" marking on the head are two different sizes.  Bolts were all painted the same from the factory, so they are all same vintage, but they looked a little different:
1 & 3 are smaller than 2 & 4.  I know, who cares, just thought it was interesting.

Now for something more important.  While laying on my back under the left quarter, I looked up to the open left door, and noticed that the taping for the charcoal paint didn't wrap around to the doorseal rubber.  Then looking at the back edge, where the interior door panel ends, I noticed the same thing - it has factory white verses the charcoal.  Walking around to the right door, I see for the most part it was masked off around the bottom to the seal, and the back edge is charcoal - extending the color from the door panel to the doorseal rubber - a much nicer look.  See photos below.  I have combined photos so you get a direct comparison within the same photo:

Bottom of doors:

Rear edge of doors:

OK......  well we know the same guy didn't do both sides...Confused  I guess what do you expect for less than 3 grand, right?

So...  I'm interested in hearing from other all original paint SC owners - what does yours look like?  I am going to take a while to decide how I might do the repainting.  Factory "correct" or over restored on this detail, hmmm.  What do you think?

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: FASTNASH
Date Posted: Feb/03/2013 at 9:26am
Hey Kevin and Eric good luck on project and thanks for the pictures from 1994 NATS, Was great time and all clubs work together to have great event and lot of work but was great. My SC is one of poster cars with in front basketball court. Someday be over check it out.

-------------
AMO#3040 NAMDRA#1115 AMC's are just like potato chips you just can't have one.              

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Feb/03/2013 at 10:10am
The "P" is obviously just the maker's mark on the bolts above.   I did a google search and couldn't locate the manufacturer. We need an old-timer to help us with the routine suppliers to AMC. Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Feb/03/2013 at 12:11pm
FASTNASH - tell my engine I haven't forgot about it! I am working towards the day that we'll need to tear it down and get ready for it's install. Come over anytime. Your SC will have a heated garage to come to some winter in the not so distant future as I turn the corner and start reassembly. Thinking I might need a reference car!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Feb/03/2013 at 10:15pm
It was a rather frustrating afternoon working on panel welding.  The metal thickness in the rear rocker area between door and wheel opening was too thick for spot welder to heat and wasn't getting good welds.  Had to make plug welds to secure and then need to go back over with spot welds just for looks.  Plug welds kept blowing out on me, argh...  I think I need to get the rest of the panel secured and then get the car rotated a little for better working angle.

Below I am including some photos of the rear inner lips.  Several Scrambler owners currently working on cars here on the forum have asked for me to post them.  The first one is the right inside shot of the factory roll (rust and all), and the lower one is the left one currently as ready to finish mig plug welding with the new panel.

Right inner:

New Left inner:

For those asking questions about the front fenders - the link below shows some great shots, from another Scrambler owner.  Also - above here on my post is a copy of the factory sheet detailing the specs. for the rolling.  Basically it runs body line to body line with a gradual tapering off.

http://scrambler1969.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=12" rel="nofollow - http://scrambler1969.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=12

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: 66FireRamblerW
Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 4:07pm
wow, looking good and just think once done it will feel good!

Posted By: AmeriMan
Date Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 5:00pm
This restoration thread is a very enjoyable read. Very thorough and well written.

-------------
larue390@comcast.net

Date Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 11:03pm
Hey - all you original paint SC owners out there!  See the posting above from last week, and let's hear from you.  I am going to move the question over to the SC/Rambler blog soon for additional input, but was hoping someone following along here also has some first hand information to share.  If you can share, let me know the approximate build date of your car also, we may be able to see patterns depending on when they were completed.

I've been doing welding on the left quarter over the past week.  Trying to get it buttoned up so that we can start to move onto the right quarter removal soon.  I also want to get the roof under primer in the coming week or two, and get the right front wheel lip rolled.  But first, I got to get past the nerve racking welding around the edges of the quarter.

Got the shop warmed up over night.  Here in PA, we missed the big Blizzard and got just a coating on the ground, but it was still windy and cold outside.  Shop was comfortable.  No shoveling was good Wink

Before getting started today, I wanted to inspect and checkout the latest goodies to arrive for the Scrambler.  An antenna from Georgia, a PCV hose from Texas, and a complete 4spd trans snap ring kit from my friend Bruce in the next town over.  I wish I had kept track of where every part I've bought for the car came from.  It would have been cool to click off the states (and even countries - I have one part from Australia!).  I have recently added a column on my purchase list to track it, but I don't remember more than 20% of the total list.
The Scrambler should be pretty much a NOS new car when finally put back together.  I think the chase of the parts for our "non-catalog" cars is what makes our hobby so much more fun than just a "muscle car build".  It's easy to break out a credit card and order all the parts at once and throw them on the car.  AMC owners get to experience the hobby the way it should be, and why all of us can stand back and marvel at the quality of a fresh AMC restoration regardless of the model, knowing just how hard it was to accomplish.

Time to get some work done.  Spot welds going along the bottom of the rear quarter behind the wheel - these turned out looking really good - plenty good enough to pass as factory:
Once those were done, I moved to the ones along the trunk lip.  The channel needed some extra persuasion to get into position - making it a tight working area to get the spot welder into:

Eric caught me fitting the welder in between the clamps, and starting the row of welds:
That welder is about 40 lbs of dead weight.  You have to get it in position, squeeze the tongs together, then move a little momentary switch lever under the handle, and then watch the heated area closely for the weld to occur, as this particular model does not have a timer (timer units were just too pricey for me for a home shop; if I had a body shop I'd definitely invest in a more idiot proof version, but I'll just have to settle for being a careful idiot!)

Trunk lip area all finished:

I had spot welded the rear bottom of the wheel lip earlier in the week.  Before calling it a day, I cleaned up the welds and touched up the self etching primer, just to see how the welds look under paint.  Thought they looked good, and should pass for factory:

If this car was a Rogue, I would have been able to do about 80% of the wheel lip with the spot welder.  But because it's a Scrambler, and the wheel lip is rolled, I have to plug weld the rest of the wheel lip unfortunately.  Can't get into the backside with the tongsOuch.  Even on the frontside lower wheel lip, it is too close to the inner wheelwell to get the tongs in.  I am hoping to do a little special grinding though to bring the spot weld look to those areas.  We'll see how that turns out later.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: brownspirit
Date Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 10:50am
What brand spot welder is that? The car looks great!!! Andy

-------------
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4

Date Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 1:17pm
Brownspirit: the spot welder is a Hobart HSW15. 110 unit. They are exactly the same as the Miller MSW41. Guess I exaggerated on the weight, saw in the spec sheet just now they go about 23lb. Feels like 40lb when you hold it up more than a few seconds. Brand new they go over $500. I watched Craigslist and eBay for several months. I found a semi local unit that was bought a number of years back, test fired, then put on the shelf. Essentially brand new. Expect to pay $200 - $300 for anything decent. The 220V unit may be abetted choice if you can find one reasonable price, but they are more new than this one. Timer units are even more yet.

They say these are good for up to 1/8" thick total layers. That's about right. I could just do the layers at the door jam. The bottom of the rockers with a little thicker stuff, were a no go. I had to plug weld and then do spot for looks only. My recommendation, unless you are a body shop, and can afford a high end unit, these are good units, but know the limitations going in, and try to get a nice used unit for the price you can afford. Go for the strongest power unit you can afford.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 9:53pm

Yesterday, Eric and I hit our favorite hardware store, and shopped the rack of Dremel bits.  I was looking for some special bits to do some fine detail work, with a couple things in mind for the Scrambler.  I mentioned on yesterday's post that I was going to try to do some work on the areas I have to plug weld.

This afternoon, I had a some time to play, and some more welding to do.  I decided to experiment in the area covered by the rear bumper.  Using the dremel, after plug welding and grinding the area smooth, I wanted to see how closely I could replicate a factory spot weld.  My bit of choice was a Dremel D455 - chainsaw blade sharpener:

Although not easy, and the chances of "rolling" off the spot is real, I went flat tip end in with both hands, starting hard on one side and then push in on the other side to even it out.  I found it to be quite quick, and as long as you're very careful, you can make a great looking fake spot weld.  Can you tell which one(s) below are done with Dremel vs. spot welder; how about after a quick shot of primer?
The fourth one (very bottom) is real.  The others were Dremel created.  I think I'm ready to move the process to the more visible areas after this trial run.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: PlazinJavelin
Date Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 10:19pm

Clever solution. At least from the photos I wouldn't know the difference. Dremel will need a new tool name.  D455 - chainsaw blade sharpener/Spot weld simulator.

Posted By: FASTNASH
Date Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 4:25pm
Hi Kevin and Eric sorry I didn't back to you I was in Mississauga Canada for work all week and with weather had drive home and if you ever need the SC for anything and motor in the corner waiting anytime my car has saved least 11 SC in the world that took pictures and used has template for there cars.

-------------
AMO#3040 NAMDRA#1115 AMC's are just like potato chips you just can't have one.              

Date Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 6:50pm
Progress this weekend.  I still have a little more welding on the left quarter, but I want to rotate the shell so that I can weld downhill, verses overhead in the wheelwell where there is tight space.  At the same time, I have been wanting to finish up the roof prep and get it under primer before rotating to one side, so I took this past Saturday to finish the sanding, etc and to get the roof under 2K.

I decided to guide coat sand and block the rear deck panel, so I could shoot a second coat on at the same time.  The weld and fill work from the speaker holes is smoothing out well:

Final prep on the roof and the sequence of laying down the primer.  I am using SW vinyl wash (self etch) with a top coat of PPG 2k.  I like the older wash primer as it still has a little zinc chromate in it for extra bite.  Takes a while to mix everything up, shoot, clean the gun and do it over again in the window if time to do it without scuffing in between, but all worth it.

I have always avoided paint work when I can during the winter due to room exhausting and the makeup heat needed to keep room temperature.  While I have floor heating, it is not even close to being adequate to make up the volume of heat lost when running an exhaust fan at full blast.  So, I devised a plan to run a torpedo heater in one door opening, and the exhaust fan out the other.  Blocked off some of the rest of the open space with some cardboard.  Worked really well, temps outside were near 30 I think, inside stayed about 70.  The heater was well away from the paint zone and air circulation was good in the room with quick clearing.  I think it's a plan I'll use again.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: jmhackney
Date Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 9:24pm
Looks good. The care of yours is slowly coming together. One step at a time is still good to me.

Date Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 5:21pm
DUST!  Amazing how much of it you can make when blocking out a car.  Decided I wanted to get the first round of blocking done and put down another layer of primer this weekend in prep for rotating the car soon.  After some hard blocking the roof looks to be in pretty good shape.  Primered the roof, front fender and new left door again Saturday.

Has any SC owners taken a look at the door charcoal paint masking on their cars and compared to my early post on the subject?  Would love to hear from you!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Feb/25/2013 at 9:43pm
Time for another diversion into little known and little cared about Rambler trivia.  I've been looking at this one for a little while, and with the left door nearing the time it will be finally separated from the car, I thought it good to document this one now.

Did you ever wonder how AMC was able to keep the price on the Americans so low for so long?  They claimed it was the reuse of existing tooling year over year, but we've all seen where they would slowly reduce off any item they could to save a penny.  Below is a photo of the little plate that covers the lower hinge access hole.  It looks like back in 1963 some designer figured 3 or 4 screws were necessary to hold it on for the new 64s.  By 1969, they were down to one screw!  I guess one screw was OK - doesn't seem to have moved at all in nearly 45 years!  OK by me, less weight, right? LOL

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: Rodney Schultz
Date Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 8:44am
Well... It is recessed... And that weatherstrip sure is sticky... Saved all of 6 cents now, didn't we!... Lets see, multiply by a couple thousand cars... Some brilliant guy just got a raise!

-------------
'78 Gremlin... The never ending project... But we will succeed!

Posted By: whizkidder
Date Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 9:43am
I'd be willing to bet it was just a factor of not having enough time on the line to put them all in.

-------------
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague

Date Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 8:10pm
Tonight, I've got not just an update on progress, but also a product review to provide.  I had mentioned before that I was hoping to get the NOS right front fender lip rolled before too long.  I had purchased the Eastwood #11537 fender lip roller handtool ( http://www.eastwood.com/fender-finisher-1.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.eastwood.com/fender-finisher-1.html ) last summer for the job and had tried it on a section of the lip a little while back.  Today was the day to get it done and work to get one more important modification item of the metal working checklist.

So, how did it do?  Well, it got the job done.  I don't think there is any cheap viable alternative to this tool.  However, it is not easy, and it is not perfect.  I would say the finished product will pass as original, but I think I could tell where it is not 100%.  It does protect the outer lip well, but unless you have bearclaws for hands, it is a real workout on your hands.  Patience is mandatory.  Plan on spending a solid hour or two doing the job.  You can tell that the tool is made for modern, thinner sheet metal, not the 19gage stuff on our Ramblers.  It will not do the rear lips on a Scrambler.  We had to retain the inner rolled lip on this car, and then copper hammer the outer panel lip over it.  Would I recommend the tool? - yes.  Just realize the limitations, and that nothing is easy or perfect, but for Scrambler owners faced with replacing a Scrambler front fender with another used one - go for it.

The finished product (hard to see):
Front side:

Rear side:

Now that I have accomplished this task, this tool is no longer needed.  I have no plans to do another SC to this level or need again, nor do I plan on modifying any future car with 22" wheels...
So, if someone out there could used this very lighty used tool for their project car, send me a PM and we can work something out.  I would just as soon reinvest back into the car if I can, rather than hold onto it and let it collect dust.

On the checklist for today was re-adjusting the car on the rotisserie for proper center of mass and rotation, removing the left door now that the left panel is installed and looking good for fit, and getting the car rotated so I can finish wheellip welding on the new panel.  Now that the door is removed, the car doesn't look like a Scrambler anymore Cry.  Guess I need to keep moving and get that new paint job on it!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: BBO390
Date Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 9:35pm
Very nice work Kevin!!  Talking about tools you have and want to pass on,  Have I got a tool for you...Several years ago I purchased a Wurth sprayable seam sealer gun.  This gun works excellent for duplicating the texture inside your trunk and is adjustable in both air pressure and material volume.  If you would like to try this tool please let me know.  Dave  

Posted By: JavelinManJohn
Date Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 10:20pm
Kevin,

Send you a PM about the fender tool.

John

-------------
Too many projects!

Date Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 12:06pm
Scored a set of 4 piston disc brake pads on Craigslist for $10 plus shipping. As a bonus, the box said "made in USA". Almost forgot where USA was, haven't seen it printed on a box in so long.... .

I hear these brake pads are getting really hard to find. FYI, the part number is D18-731 if you are out searching.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: 348AMX
Date Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 2:17pm
Are you a classic car restorer by profession???   You have crazy skills!!!

Date Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 8:14pm
348AMX: thanks for the kind compliment, but the answer is no, I've just done bodywork with my dad since I was about 8. He had a home shop while i was growing up, and I learned by helping on a lot of the cars that cameos, usually rust buckets needing a lot of fabbed repair patches. We did a lot of 60s 70s cars back then.

Actually if you saw my mig welding skills you would laugh. A grinder is still my best friend. I guess you could say that I'm just a perfectionist. I also spend a lot of time thinking about how to do it before I try it. Sometimes I run through the steps for months before getting around to it.

Truthfully I think anyone could do what I am doing on this project if they just take their time, and be patient. The fun is figuring out how to do it. Since this car is going to be far from having 100% of the parts it was born with, my goal is to make it look like it did. If you know what was done with it when I'm done, can you walk up to it and be able to tell? If you can't I will be very happy!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: Hurst390
Date Posted: Mar/09/2013 at 7:26am
Keep up the great work!

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Posted By: amx39068
Date Posted: Mar/09/2013 at 9:28am
Wow!  Somehow I missed this thread but all I can say it what an amazing project!!! Many people would say the car was too far gone or it cost to much to repair all the metal work and not even attempt to do what you have done to this car. And knowing what it cost to restore a car to this level in both materials and hours, it is scary to think how much it would cost to have all this work done at a restoration shop so it is great that you have the skill and ambition to do all of this work on your own. 

From all of us SC/Rambler owners/lovers, thank you for saving a car that some might have considered a candidate for the bone yard.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Date Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 8:39pm
What a beautiful weekend we had here in PA!  Felt good to be out in the sun for the first time in months.  In addition to the weather, we were treated with a visit from my parents, and dad wanted to help on the projects around the shop.  After a trip to Harbor Freight for a couple items, including a 1" abrasion disc kit to get down into the holes on the hood to clean out, dad and I spent some time trying to figure out what was squealing on the front of my daughter's '79 Concord.  After process of elimination of removing belts one at a time, and then finally replacing the new belt with the old factory original belt with part number on it, we learned that those stupid new grooved v-belts don't want to sit in the pulley right and was slipping on the water pump / PS loop.  ARGH!  So the Concord has it's original belt back on it for the time being, and the new belt goes to the trunk.  Guess NOS is best....

In the shop, dad picked some hand sanding on Eric's hood while we was away for the day.  Caught him doing a little hand sanding in the corners.  He didn't want to be on camera, but I thought it was kind of cool to know three generations worked on the Scrambler's new hood!

I decided to see how much panel ripple I had in the new quarter panel, so I layed out some guide dust on the protective wash primer and blocked the panel.  I knew there was some "shelf" bumps and bruises on the panel, and that there were stamping ripples around the wheel lip, but I wasn't expecting the panel to turn into a Dalmation!
I'm not sure if the blasting to clean off the original factory primer / light surface rust caused some warpage or not.  I was careful to keep the gun moving constantly, back when I did it, and I didn't have any trouble with the left front fender that had full paint on it and some inside surface rust that I hit much harder, but...  guide dust doesn't lie.  Instead of just some spot filling to catch the dimples I knew were there, I decided the best thing to do was skim coat the whole quarter.  I ended Saturday with mixing up several batches of filler.

Tonight after work, I got some time in with the airboard, and got a decent first pass across the panel.  Boy, airboards were made for panels like these.  Airboarding the slight curvature along a long panel like this was smooth working.  Still got some refill, and a lot of hand finish blocking to do, but I think it will turn out pretty good.  I think I'm starting to understand why I see a lot of guys skim coat a whole new panel now.  They are just not as straight as you would like them to be.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 8:10pm
Weekend warrior update:  Spent the entire afternoon hand working the rear panel skim coat, and then getting a good first thick coat of 2K primer down to prepare for blocking.  After looking at the old quarter hanging up off to the side, I think I can say that this panel is already straighter than the original panel ever was.  Seemed like a shame to put filler on a new panel, but it is a thin coat, and those ripples around the wheel lip will definitely look better now after doing it all.   Still have a little fine detail grinding to do in the weld areas that I hope to get to shortly, but a work trip coming up will keep me from the shop for the next week Cry  This panel is getting close to completion now, and focus will soon start to turn to the right quarter removal, where more fun awaits!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: 57hornetKustom
Date Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 8:41pm
wow def looking good. wish my garage looked like that lol

Date Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 6:11pm
Time for another diversion.  Some might have wondered about the mural in the background beside the Scrambler.  Back in the summer of 2009, I commissioned by daughter to make me a mural named "The Summer of '69, Alpha & Omega".  It is a semi-fictitious depiction of the Scrambler at its home track - Maple Grove Park, now called Maple Grove Raceway. 
The background surrounding the cars is fairly accurate, with the exception of the billboards (I don't know what was on the back retaining wall back then, so I thought up cool stuff I liked that was Day 1 or Day 2 stuff for the Scrambler) and the one overhead walkway sign had Marshall Chevrolet on it in real life (there was no way I was going to have a bowtie in my mural - so I replaced it with the local AMC dealer, Savage Ramber, and coincidentally the dealer the Scrambler was bought new at).

The general theme of the mural is the passing of the Rambler speed torch from the first Rambler hotrod ('57 Rebel) to the last Rambler hotrod (SC/Rambler), hence Alpha & Omega.  It is fun to look at and dream about this ultimate match up.  Of course, the '57 would have the magical electronic fuel injection to help even it up a little bit.  But even more, I get to enjoy some of my daughter's talent each time I walk in the shop.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Mar/30/2013 at 3:37pm
Been away and then out of commission a bit over the past two weeks.  Over the long weekend here, had some family company, that I recruited to help with the wall art work I had been planning to do.  The Scrambler's original and replacement trunk lid had been hanging upstairs in the barn since we moved.  It was time to pull them down, do the documentation on the original trunk lid, pull the date code metal from the back, and finally retire the hood and trunk lid to permanent wall art status this weekend.

Thought I had remembered the trunk was dated 5-16-69, but instead it was 5-6-69.  So much for my memory:
Since this is the only section different from the replacement trunk, I cut it out for later grafting to the replacement unit.  Found a little surprise inside:
After inspection of the original trunk lid, I was glad that I chose to replace.  Outside and inside, several rust areas, and body damage.  This rust on the one side had been the clincher years ago for me when I sourced another unit:
The rust has taken over the complete corner, and also on the outside skin in this area.

After some elbow grease on the outside to clean off the oxidation and make it look presentable, the hood and trunk lid now rest peacefully on the wall in the memorabilia section upstairs with the help of several family members this weekend.  The wear and tear, and patina on both pieces will now help present the Scrambler in its prior life form, and is great to be able to preserve as part of its history, even when now not part of the car.  I love the new wall art!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: underdog
Date Posted: Mar/30/2013 at 4:59pm
I just around to reading this thread. Great progress and great job. I made the scoop for this car. I need to mention when ever I make a scoop I make clear the holes were never ever drilled in the same location from car to car. They were hand built. Knowing this car was getting a new hood, It was requested to have the studs installed like the factory and bonded into the scoop as I did. You then drill out the hood to match the studs, Not drill the hood out from a old scoop and expect the studs to aling up with a new scoop. It will never happen. I have swaped out factory scoops from factory hoods and they did not match up. When I do my scoops You have the option of no studs and drill your own to match. No hijacking this thread but when buying one of my scoops I make it very clear to the buyers what I just posted. The extra work involved here (Saturday) dodging a bullet is not due the fact the way I make these Scramber scoops.
Steven W Stull

-------------
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

1970 Ford Torino King Cobra(protot

Date Posted: Mar/30/2013 at 6:04pm
For Steve and others that may have mis-understood what I posted on Page 3, you must understand the context and the chronology of the story.  I had originally planned to use my original hood scoop when I worked up the new hood.  It was only in the month after I did the mounting locations that I had second thoughts and decided to look into whether a suitable scoop replacement was out there these days.  I found Steve's recent posting for an extra scoop that wasn't sold yet, and decided I wanted to take it.  The moral of the story from that thread above, is that when you decide to make changes in direction - expect to have something to pay for it.  As I stated on Page 3 and I'll state it here again - there was nothing wrong with the scoop Steve sold me, I was happy with it, told him so, and I still am very happy with it.  I recommend it as the best alternative to factory NOS and tried to show that with the comparison photos I posted.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 9:10pm
It's been a while since last posting.  I completed a hard first blocking of the left rear quarter.  I was very pleased to see that the guide dust disappeared on about 98% of the quarter with a first sanding.

Over the past week or so, I've been messing around with the replacement trunk lid and the metalwork to get it Scrambler worthy.  A separate posting on that at a later time.

Goals for the next week or so it to finish the edges on the quarter panel, including the door jamb, strip and smooth the rocker panel, and get a first coat of primer on the inside of the hood that Eric has been working on most of the winter.  Would also like to get another primer coat on the left quarter before rolling it over for right quarter removal.

So, tonight after a little yard work, I got back to those important finishing touches on the left quarter edges.  I still had the simulated spot welds to complete in the areas that the spot welder wouldn't go.  The bottom front of the wheel lip needed the most careful effort.  I was very happy with the look.  The Dremel and some patience was all that was needed:

The key is to not make them all look the same.  The factory wasn't consistent, so simulated spot welds shouldn't be either to sell the look.  A coat of primer will be the final verdict.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: bigbadgreen
Date Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 10:52pm
Wow, excellent job to detail on the sc...my thoughts exactly..No body shop would ever pay that much attention to detail.truly , award winning!

Date Posted: Apr/20/2013 at 10:01pm
Small but significant milestone day in the shop today.  Eric has been spending the winter off and on stripping and preparing the inside of the new hood for priming; today it was finished and cleaned.  Looks good in "brushed steel"!  Time for primer, which will go on tomorrow afternoon.  A lot of hand work here for Eric (good learning experience!).  The transformation to a SC hood is looking very convincing.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Apr/21/2013 at 12:33pm
Tell Eric I feel his pain! I took the frame & hood skin apart on my 70 Javelin and did the "down to metal" thing on both sides of each part.

Are you going to pour in some rust treatment & shake it around before the primer goes on? I think you had a picture of a deck lid with rust in side. Also after pulling mine apart I am happy I did to get the rust taken care of before I put them back together again.
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Date Posted: Apr/21/2013 at 9:29pm
FuzzFace2:  Eric said he appreciates the sympathy - I think he was glad and ready to flip the hood over and do the smooth side!  Sounds like you were really working to take apart a hood and put it back together.  The American hood has spot welds around the edges even where it is crimped over.  I don't think I would have wanted to try that one...  I looked through the holes and saw that this donor hood had good coverage of the factory dipping primer as far as I could see - much better than the original Scrambler hood.  To be safe I am planning on using the Eastwood Internal Frame paint down into both back corners and the front lip - will probably do that after we flip it over as it runs everywhere.  I plan to use that in the subframes and rockers also.  It has a phosphate base in it supposedly so it should be a good rust inhibitor.

Today I shot the inside of the hood and the left rocker / rear quarter with vinyl wash and 2k primer:

I'm pretty happy with the quarter edge detailing, and I think we are about ready to flip the car over the other direction to finally start the assault on the last big hurdle on the metalwork - the right rear quarter.  After a little break for Spring Carlisle and some spring yardwork, we should be ready to do that.  With some effort, I am hoping to finish the right rear quarter and do the blasting, subframe straightening, priming on the undercarriage by fall.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Apr/26/2013 at 10:09am
Awesome Carlisle week here in Pennsylvania!  Kirkwood made a trip to the house from the fairgrounds for a visit and to hand deliver a part for the SC/Rambler (awesome shipping service!), and our group posse of friends and family had a great day soaking in the sun, fun, cars, parts, and other sights yesterday.  Sunny and 60 was great for shopping.  Filled the cart (3) times with supplies and goodies.  The last time out the poor little cart had 200 lb of bodywork materials and blasting media on it - what a load!  Got enough supplies to keep me working deep into the bodywork now.  Picked up the newest blasting material - medium grade crushed glass - they guarantee that it won't warp steel....  Thinking I might try this stuff on the trunk and strip the whole thing.

Took a number of my clips and hardware along for matching.  Finding that AMC really used some oddball stuff.  Had some luck, but I think I'm going to have to lean on some AMC only vendors to look through their stash for some of this oddball stuff.  Found that even the American bumper bolts aren't readily out there.  GM used a similar version, but length was different.  I may have to give a little on that one if they can at least get the nut on.  I did find a vendor that had the rear fuel line clips that have a scissor type attachment to body hole.  (I think this is the Grp. 4.152  P/N 47272).  Outside of that, not much AMC parts were found this time (maybe another forum member got it before me!).  Did score some Wittek radiator hose clamps for $1.00/pc with nice plating - stocked up on those!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Apr/26/2013 at 10:32am

Found that even the American bumper bolts aren't readily out there.  GM used a similar version, but length was different.  I may have to give a little on that one if they can at least get the nut on. 

We use early Mustange bumper bolts that have a slightly larger head but are nearly impossible to tell the difference when installed unless you hold an original bumper bolt next to the Mustang ones.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Date Posted: Apr/26/2013 at 4:58pm

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham

Date Posted: Apr/26/2013 at 5:00pm
"Found that even the American bumper bolts aren't readily out there.  GM used a similar version, but length was different."

I noticed that the heads on all the AMC bumper bolts were much flatter that anything I could ever find reproduction.  I found the right lengths but the heads were a lot rounder on top and stick up a bit higher.  Why didn't they all use the same bolts? 

-------------
Bill Strobel
Fayetteville, NC
1967 Rebel SST
1969 SC/Rambler
1972 Hornet Sportabout
1976 Matador Brougham

Date Posted: Apr/26/2013 at 8:03pm
Bill - I think I was finding pretty much what you were.  Almost all bolts have a higher crown than the AMC (American at least).  The GM 1" bolt had the flatest profile, but not really long enough.

Dan - thanks for the tip, I am going to stop in at the Mustang suppliers tents next time around and compare them.  I did a quick check on-line for photos and came up with this one from Superior Mustang Parts:

I'm not sure if the bottom one has a different "concours profile" or not, but the upper one looks to have a more rounded head vs. the AMC.  I'll do a more thorough comparison this fall and report back.

On a different note, yesterday I picked up a 16" long DuraBlock sanding block.  I had been testing my preferences on new sanding blocks and really liked the 11" version I had.  I had thought it was doing an awesome job, and it does, but, when I laid the 16" block on the rear panel with guide dust and started re-blocking, I was surprised to see how many new minor imperfections appeared.  Glad I got the 16" version.  I don't think a longer one would help a whole lot more, maybe a little just down to the wheel lip.  The 16" version looks like a good compromise for the working space on the panel.  Note to everyone else - invest in some longer blocks, you'll see it do a better job on getting those final small imperfections sanded out.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Apr/26/2013 at 8:29pm

FuzzFace2:  Eric said he appreciates the sympathy - I think he was glad and ready to flip the hood over and do the smooth side!  Sounds like you were really working to take apart a hood and put it back together.  The American hood has spot welds around the edges even where it is crimped over.  I don't think I would have wanted to try that one...  I looked through the holes and saw that this donor hood had good coverage of the factory dipping primer as far as I could see - much better than the original Scrambler hood.  To be safe I am planning on using the Eastwood Internal Frame paint down into both back corners and the front lip - will probably do that after we flip it over as it runs everywhere.  I plan to use that in the subframes and rockers also.  It has a phosphate base in it supposedly so it should be a good rust inhibitor.
The Javelin hooh crimp edges are also spot welded but the tool I got from east wood un-crimped and popped the spot weld like nothing. Because I dont have a spot welder I just tack welded in the same spots.

I am looking into the same internal frame coating for my rockers, A posts and the rear lid. I am not taking the rear lid apart like the hood, one was enough!

I am not looking to be spot on like you are doing with yours, I am going crazy enough as it is Wink but I can admire what you and other can and have done to your cars.
Keep the posts coming.
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Date Posted: May/03/2013 at 10:33pm
About all I got done this week was to shoot one more coat of 2K primer on the left rear quarter/rocker, and then got the car rolled to the right side.  I wanted to document the quarter well before cutting into it and eliminating history.  Some interesting things to look at, and for those who bought already done cars, you might like to see what the factory did (or didn't...)

Factory paint masking at the door jam (remember the red was laid down first, then masked off to paint white)
Still considering if I should try to make mine look this bad on re-paint....

How about some more popped factory spot welds evne before I get started (at least it's two less I have to drill out)
(Hard to tell from the photo above - but the quarter panel is gap'd outward over a 1/4" from the rocker panel).  On the one below - easy to see the popped factory spot weld.

Also note above and in the next photo the caulking dabs in the seams.  This location is at the seam of the quarter and tailpanel in the trunk jam.  Almost looks like the guys on the line were encouraged to chew Juicy Fruit gum and stick it on the seam gaps...
The above is the dab of caulk (or Juicy Fruit? LOL) at the corner of the trunk jam.

How about that factory body seam / body work just above the taillights?  I don't think they would be taken too kindly at Pebble Beach Wink
This picture above is very important to me, as it shows the gap between the quarter and the tailpanel is wider at the trunk then it is at the corner shown in the photo below.  Since I am replacing all three rear pieces, it will help it fitment at the end.  I have already seen with the left quarter, it doesn't want to go flat and this side shows the factory had trouble too.
Yup - this is factory lead body work.  The quarter panel was stamped, but there was place in the corner that couldn't be formed 100%, and had to be spot welded together, and then they leaded over it.  Here the lead was wiped into the seam and looked very poor.  On my new left quarter - the spot welds (you guessed it) cold welded and had popped - I ended up mig welding that seam solid - much better in the end.
The rest of the seam looks decent.  If I was leaving it on the car, I would want to completely remove the original caulk and re-seal.  With the new quarter/tailpanel we'll start fresh on this one.

Swiss cheese anyone?
Rather large affected circle spot on this side verses the left - you can see the continuation of pin hole rust all along the bottom.  I expect we will see it looking pretty bad on the backside after it is removed in this area.

Wheel lip rust looks about the same as the left side, however this side had body damage fixed on the front edge of the wheel lip, so it looks like the paint bubbled after the work was done. You will see the damage to the inner wheel well that must be fixed once removed.

Now the process of carefully removing the spot welds will begin.  I am using a convertible quarter on this side, so I must leave the door post and across the top of the original quarter in place and have to join the metal together in the best locations.  Still deciding exactly where the cuts/joint will be located.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: May/11/2013 at 7:11pm
Just got started on the drilling out of spot welds.  The wheelwell is about all loose now.  Thought all might like to see the body damage that caused this fender to be body filled and repainted at one time.  There is a nasty gash in the wheelwell opening.  Wondering what would have caused that?  Any guesses?  Maybe winter tirechains broke?  There is filler all around the outside in the this area, and the wheel lip spot weld was torn loose here too, so something ripped around this edge pretty hard to do all that.

Below is a photo, continuing the earlier discussion on bumper bolts.  After stopping by my friend's house today, he gave me some NOS bolts he found in his stash.  These are the factory bolts - two different lengths - with a very shallow head.  He had 3 of the 1" and 1 of the 1.25"  If anybody has more NOS out there - I can use them.

And lastly, it was a good week for the Scrambler even though it didn't get much physical attention.  First, my dad found a small stash of 70-30 lead sticks, and I scored a great local Craigslist find for a dent stud welder kit! (Magna Spot 1500)  I had wanted one of these to help pull out the crushed areas of the subframe rails, but didn't want to pay the prices for new.  This will be a great help, and then coupled with the body lead, will help me do the subframes right for this car.  This will be a fun part of the project later this summer (I hope on both accounts...).  We will also solve the problem of the new tail panel with the 67 - 68 wire harness tabs vs. the 69 weld studs / plastic ties.  This unit has the rivet head attachment, and an un-opened bag of rivet heads!  Two problems solved for one price!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: May/21/2013 at 11:24pm
Finally back on the car tonight after finishing other obligations over the past week, and also putting a new ignition switch in the Concord tonight (not a bad job except hard on the knees and back..).  Threw the doors open tonight on this unseasonably warm (and humid) night.  Probably a mistake as the garage was a comfortable 68F and dry before opening it up....

Car flipped over to do right quarter spot welds.  Eric was stripping the top of the hood.  It was a noisey and dirty night in the shop! (= fun):

I was drilling spot welds across the bottom lip.  With every beating of the putty knife through the weld area to break loose, the 40+ year old dirt made it's way onto my lap / floor (no wonder these things rust out!):

I will be continuing panel removal efforts through the long holiday weekend, and probably getting the Ambassador out of mothballs for the summer.  Weather is supposed to be nice!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: May/26/2013 at 6:02pm
The project just turned ugly again!  Saturday was D-day (dismantle day) for the right rear quarter.  About 1/2 way through the cutting the upper section loose, I started wondering - is this really a good idea?  But the original goal of no rust ever again kept telling me, yes, but it just won't be easy...

A last look at the original panel (barely hangin on!):

And then with one last application of the hammer and putty knife to separate the last spot weld, it was gone!

For many, the goal of the restoration is to retain as many of the original components as possible, and that is a very noble goal.  I have 2 of those such cars.  But for me, for this car, that wasn't going to be realistic, so my goal from the start, was to make sure this car is rust free, 25, 50 years into the future.  No worrying about when the next pinhole spot was going to pop out of the screen door thin outer sheetmetal.  I wanted to guarantee myself and any future (longterm future...) owners that there were none of those worries.  The photos below are a reminder of what lurks behind those fresh outer paint jobs; unless you can remove pieces, it still remains for a future owner to deal with to some degree...
The inside of the wheel lip wasn't as bad as the left - but was pinholing - left was open holes.

The infamous American circle spot - is actually just the start of major problems for the future.  It rusts all along the lower brace area.  The bigger problem is the amount of dust, loose caulking/seamsealer, and rust flakes that came pouring out of the lower quarters as I opened it up.  Everyone needs to know what they need to deal with rust wise, and that is why I posted the above - you can't really see this, but it's happening at some level to all our 40 something year old cars.  When restoring an American - the first step is getting all the debri out of these areas, "wash" down the surface somehow, and then get rust preventer materials down into the bottom.  You will see future posts of me painting the inside of the new quarter to the same level as the outside to put protection between the panels.  I will also redesign the below brace like I did on the left side to eliminate this problem forever on my Scrambler.
I'd like to post a Mr. Yuck sticker here with this photo - the cause of the toxic circle spot on the Americans.  This will get "re-engineered" soon.

A friend stopped by last night, and said the damage to the inner wheelhousing was done with a panel puller when the damage "repair" was done back in the 70s.  He pointed out the tell tale round circle spots where they grabbed the panel and yanked it out.  The lip on this side is screwed up and needs welding work to fix some rust, but more so the torn metal on the lip and also the place where the repair tool actually did more damage then good..  (see the round metal distortions and torn metal at the arrows below)

I took the below photo to document the factory gap between the wheel housing and lower rear panel, and also the factory seam sealer globs!  A view that most everyone never gets to see.

Ultimately I will be glad I pulled the quarter and took care of the rust lurking behind, no worries at that point.  The worries are getting the new one on and welded perfectly.  I have to piece in this quarter due to it being a convertible quarter.  Last call for a trade - fully prepped NOS right rear convertible quarter for an NOS right rear hardtop quarter?

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: May/27/2013 at 7:39am
We have to do a convertible quarter repair. If I can find a NOS http quarter I will gladly do the trade.

-------------

Date Posted: May/27/2013 at 9:14am
Dan, if you could pull that off, it would be an awesome story of "fixing" two birds with one stone! With the wheel well work and the coming undercarriage blasting and subframe work over the summer, the panel won't go on until early fall I am estimating.

I'm only 45 minutes east of Harrisburg on your big east coast swing, so let me know. I blasted, Sherwin Williams vinyl wash primered, and PPG 2k primered the new quarter, so it would be fully ready to go. I'd gladly start over with a hardtop quarter if it worked out.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: May/27/2013 at 9:54am
will ping you in a PM if I find one.  We also have rust free southwest cars and parts out here that I have successfully used on a couple of other SC/Rambler restorations.  Not as good as NOS but sometimes our rust free originals are actually in better condition than a NOS piece from the rust belt.

-------------

Date Posted: May/29/2013 at 10:04pm
This post is for all those American owners out there dealing with circle spot rust.  Felt good to "take out" the culprit.  A better solution will take its place soon enough...

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Posted By: 348AMX
Date Posted: May/30/2013 at 3:27pm
I think the work you are doing goes beyond what even a restoration shop would do! Must be a great feeling, and will surely inspire others to do their own cars.

Date Posted: Jun/01/2013 at 8:39pm
So here in the mid-Atlantic region, we had our one day of spring on Memorial Day, and the Wednesday we turned straight into a summer heat wave of 90 degrees + humidity.  Really??  Can't we have a couple weeks of spring first?

So after an early morning start to yard work and quitting by 9:30am I retired to the shop, where with it closed up, I can keep it in the low 70s.  Decided to get the rust off the rocker and finish hand making the new bottom to the quarter vertical brace.  A long time ago (1994?), I had made a new bottom for the left side, and it worked great.  The goal is to keep the rigidity of the brace, but keep it away from the outer panel.  The original came down and was spot welded somehow to the quarter panel at the very bottom.  It was held far too close to the panel as a result.

With the new design, I cut off the rusted bottom as far as needed to get into good metal, and then recreated it to weld directly to the rocker panel.  This gives about a 1/4" clearance to the outer quarter panel.

There is something so satisfying about handforming a piece of metal.  You feel like you have actually made something!  Photos below from final fit / tack to ground and ready for paint.  At least in this case - better than factory - no more circle spot problems!
I didn't weld it all the way across at the bottom, and I left a drain opening on both unwelded sections as you can see that it sits just above a drain area on the rocker and also for the outer quarter.

Guess I will start the small area of inner rocker (just opposite of this area) rust next.  It will be hard to get the old metal out as it is very tight and hard to get cutting tools into...

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jun/01/2013 at 9:30pm
good stuff going on here love the detail and the pictures thanks

-------------
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....

Date Posted: Jun/04/2013 at 10:21pm
This week I am tackling the only rust out that isn't being handled by new panels - the right rear inner rocker.  This is the area directly across from the rear leaf spring front mount sheet metal.  In fact the spring mount bracket attaches to the rocker in this area.

Back in the day when I helped my dad with a lot of 60s and 70s cars rot, we always noticed that the right side of the car was rusted worse.  Probably due to the extra road salt and debri migrating to the side of the road.

That seems to be the case here.  The left side is super clean, but here, just in front of the right rear wheel, moisture and what appears an extra dose of road salt got the best of the inner rocker metal - rotting from the inside out.  If I had not stripped the undercoating off, I would not have seen this.  The undercoating was still covering over the hole at the time I stripped it.

This area is a real pain to get into.  I needed a small head angled die grinder I think, and didn't have one of those (put it on the wish list now).  First photo of condition before starting, the second one after clearing out the bad stuff and trying to get a straight enough edge to handmake a replacement piece.

There is a fair amount of festering rust down the rocker.  The rocker is a three piece construction, the inner and outer shell, and an internal baffle with big 2" holes every 5" or so.  I scraped the inside as best I could and blew it out, then got a good coat of Rustmort all over the inside.  Will probably check for any reapplication needs and then get the Eastwood internal frame coating sprayed down the rocker as far as I can before making the new weld in piece.  Looking down inside the rocker, the first foot here appears to be the worst.

I would recommend American owners to get into the rockers through the 1.25" access hole in the wheelwell and blow out and try to get rust stabilizers as far down in as you can.  There is also a front access hole in the front wheelwell behind the removable panel.  A couple hour Saturday job could make a difference in your car's rust condition.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jun/10/2013 at 10:14pm
Interesting night in the shop. Ever have one of those nights that you plan on doing one thing, but the night turns out totally different? Well I had one of those tonight. I started out doing some hand fitting of the rust out replacement piece I have been making. About 15 minutes in I got a phone call. Turns out forum member EXZION was close by and was looking for a couple parts to help him finish of his 1964 Ambassador 990 project. After giving some quick directions from his location, I hung up the house phone, to hear my cell phone ringing in my pocket. Happens that a good friend of mine purchased a certain well known American convertible and was needing some input on polishing out the all original factory paint. I was still on the phone with him, when EXZION arrived and we got to looking for some Ambassador parts. Busy Rambler night. Felt like AMC Central tonight.

Overall a very cool all AMC night. Some nights turn out better than expected, and spending time with others and their projects is even more satisfying than just working on your own project. Congrats Bruce on your new drop top, and we're all looking forward to Drew getting the Ambo out on the streets soon with some nice new bling!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 9:15pm
Eric's first night working with an airboard. I think he liked it! Hood has some real shallow imperfections found during and after stripping. Time to get it right before layering up the primer.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 10:36pm
old broken down seam sealer between the hood surface and hood frame often causes low spots.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 6:14am
I think a couple in the center may well have been that. About 60% of the seam sealer blobs were loose, and I had to remove and redo when I did the scoop. There were some spots on the side edges that I think were just factory imperfections where it kind of dropped in just before the edge, and then I had a couple low spots from a small amount of heat distortion when I had to plug weld and redo a couple hood scoop holes. Thankfully not bad at all. There was one true shallow dent right over an interior frame area that I couldn't get to from the underside. Hoping to be under primer early next week.

If everything works out, and the weather isn't too bad, I hope to media blast the undercarriage the first week of July while I'm off. Fingers crossed on that.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jun/23/2013 at 4:34pm
It was a busy week with various things going on and not much progress to report on the car, but I did set aside most of Saturday to make a trip up to Edrie Marquez's house to go parts digging.  I grabbed a bunch of my small items I wanted to replace and arrived mid-morning in Bethlehem, PA.  Turning onto his street I was carefully watching the house numbers, but soon realized I wouldn't have had to.  Edrie was already outside, and the driveway was full of rare Americans - a '66 Yellow/Black Rogue V8/4spd, and a PRE-first month announcement built 66 Rogue V8/4spd awaiting restoration, and then a parts car 68 Rogue 6cyl beside it that we used as our workbench all morning!  What a great day of talk, discovery, and rummaging through boxes to match up hardware, etc.  I picked up some items I never thought I would get - one of which was an NOS gas tank strap to body bolt!  If I can find a really nice NOS strap, I'll complete the whole NOS gas tank subassembly now (including NOS gas tank sending unit).  Picked up some bearings, grommets, exhaust pipe donuts, bumpers, carb spring, bolts, coat hooks, and even a used non-smoker ash tray with nice plating inside - 20 pieces in all.  the SCRambler made out quite well this weekend.  Thanks Edrie for all your help and fun for the day!

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jun/29/2013 at 9:53pm
Nice day here in mid-Atlantic for the all AMC Day at Mason-Dixon Raceway. Spent most of the day there. While not huge numbers, there were some really FAST cars.

Below I wanted to close out photos on the subproject I opened above a few weeks back. Off and on I have been working at the inner rocker rust patch panel, and I am happy to say that it is welded in for the most part. Still need some spot welding and grinding to finish off.

First - a short review of one of Eastwood's latest products that I plan on using heavily on the SCRambler soon: Internal Frame Coating. Now comes in quart cans, I am still using the spray bomb with the long hose nozzle to reach further into the pockets. I wanted to get some of this as deep into the rocker as I could while I had this area opened up. I wasn't trying to coat in the weld area much, so you'll see some spots of no coverage. I plan on going in from the end with all welding finished to do that area later. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much surface retention there is with this stuff. I am hopefully optimistic that it can do what it says. Not many other options anyway. I did pretreat with Rustmort.

Moving onto patch creation; after a lot of cutting, grinding, and test fitting, I finally had a piece that was going to fit pretty well. It will be a combination of lap weld at the top, butt weld down the one side, and factory simulating spot welds along the bottom:

Over the past couple days, I got it welded it place. Fairly satisfied with results. It will need some post weld smoothing later.

It is time to move on to the next project. I wanted this project done this past week, because we are gearing up to media blast the undercarriage early this coming week as long as the weather holds. Hopefully we'll have some good photos to share by mid-week.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 10:04pm
ARGH.... Who needs a hot tub, when you got this weather pattern we have going. While not super hot, the dew point nearly matches the temperature, and it is raining every 10 minutes! The car and supplies are readied at the door, but I can't even chance it to start media blasting the undercarriage until at least July 4th from what the weatherman says! Burning vacation days...

Well, we have moved on to some other projects instead. Bead blasted the fan shroud and shot it with primers along with the top side of the hood on Monday. Tonight, I got the chance to give Eric the experience of block sanding the hood at 150 grit / guide dust. The experience and outcome was pretty good overall. Any low spots should finish coming out with a second hard block sanding, and should look better than factory. With the transformation of the donor hood now complete, I don't think there is anywhere that one could pick up that this is not a factory Scrambler hood. Eric did well on his sanding skills.

A side project I decided to pick up this week, was cleaning up both Scrambler front cross-members we have and decide which one to use for the restoration. Lots of scraping, scrubbing, and parts washing. We are also taking care to do our own research to confirm up published information on part finishes. Based on what Steve_P has published, the cross-member should be bare metal from factory. With both cross-members I have, I can confirm that information. For me, the definitive information came on the one unit, where the metal under the control arm bolt washer was clean bare metal, no paint or rust. Also, weld areas were clean, and could still see the heat affected zone. Note to all current Scramber restorers out there, looks like the crossmember would be closer represented in a silver base than chassis black.

My plans are to do as nice of a paint simulation of bare steel as I can. I do not wish to redo work every couple years after it is done, just to say it is 100% correct. I want to represent it well, but also have it look nice 10 - 15 years out (it is possible; my friend's 63 American was done in 1993 and looks as good today as it did when done) using paints.

I chose to dig into this non-body item now, because either unit I choose has dent damage on the bottom plate. I wanted to see if I could do some repairs similar to the way I plan to straighten the frame rails as practice for the body. What I am now a little concerned about is the thickness of the bottom plate on the crossmember. Has anyone out there ever successfully tried to pull a dent on that thick bottom plate? I was hoping that some torch heat and weld stud and/or conventional slide hammer might do it, but I don't know. I want to try something this weekend. Suggestions?

I do plan to use some actual body lead to finish smoothing it off, but don't want to go too thick.

-------------
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660

Date Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 10:17pm
Kevin,
One of the totally original SC/Ramblers we tore down definitely had a black cross member. It's kind of like the orange pumpkin that a friend who has one of the original 6 SC/Rambler had on his car. Later ones did not seem to have orange pumpkins so the best advice I can give is redo the car you have the way you found it. We are repeatedly finding that same model year cars differ depending on what part of the model year the car was manufactured.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net