Print Page | Close Window

1972 AMC Javelin SST "Jazzy The Javelin"

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41672
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 3:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1972 AMC Javelin SST "Jazzy The Javelin"
Posted By: 1972JavSST
Subject: 1972 AMC Javelin SST "Jazzy The Javelin"
Date Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 10:35pm
i found this babe should i buy? new here btw....

-------------
1971 AMC Javelin SST
1972 AMC Javelin SST 360\4Spd
1972 AMC Javelin AMX 401\4Spd
1973 AMC Javelin R.I.P
1973 AMC Javelin 304\904
1974 AMC Javelin AMX 360\727

Replies:
Posted By: 74JavelinHCC
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 2:43am
That actually looks pretty straight, and doesn't look rusted out at all.
If the price is right it looks like a good solid buy for a project.
How much they askin?

-------------
I'm not building to sell. I'm in it for keeps.

2010 Dodge Avenger
1951 Chevy 3100 (on 82 3/4ton chassis with 6.2l Detroit Diesel)

Posted By: abndanger
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 5:18am
Body look in really great shape as stated. I noticed the trunk lock cylinder is missing and the front trim on the hood with an eyebrow trim missing as well. The bumper in bent but all in all exterior wise it looks solid. Would need more pictures. The rear tail lights look intact as well. If the price is right I would try and save her. Keep us posted and good luck!!!

-------------
" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
1973 AMX Javelin Pierre Cardin
1973 AMX Javelin Barnfind "Wifes"

Posted By: iagmc
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 6:36am
be ready to dump about 10 gs to make it a show winner, unless you can do it all your self. I would not be interested if the little stuff is not there. Esp the interior, the little things could cost more than a body panel, and depending on the item it might not be found. Example, amc fuel gauge for a cj is $35, the little lights are 35, for the set, etc it adds up quickly. The dash panel for the ambo NOS was 400 on ebay, used about 200. these little things can add up quickly. I have passed on cars because too much of the little stuff was gone. I would rather it missing the front clip than missing all the little things.

Make sure all the little stuff is there.

Posted By: Dave Z
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 7:16am
Originally posted by iagmc iagmc wrote:

be ready to dump about 10 gs to make it a show winner, unless you can do it all your self. I would not be interested if the little stuff is not there. Esp the interior, the little things could cost more than a body panel, and depending on the item it might not be found. Example, amc fuel gauge for a cj is $35, the little lights are 35, for the set, etc it adds up quickly. The dash panel for the ambo NOS was 400 on ebay, used about 200. these little things can add up quickly. I have passed on cars because too much of the little stuff was gone. I would rather it missing the front clip than missing all the little things.

Make sure all the little stuff is there.
 Good point, but it depends on what the end goal is. For instance, some have been upgrading the dash with more modern instrumentation, so all the original items there wouldn't matter. Myself, I'm not hung up on originality, I'm more for a nice car that's been personalized by me. But then I build my cars to pass on to my kids, not to sell.

Dave Z

Posted By: 390spirit
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 7:37am
And I must say Dave Z you build very nice cars!

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 9:49am
Buy it cheap, wash it, sweep the funny weed seeds out of it, change the  oil and drive it.  Show those good ole boys what a Javelin can do.   Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 10:01am
the engine and trans was rebuilt 12 years ago and parked for restore that faded away!rust through on floor pans body solid asking 2k and im 15 looking for my first car to build.i'm anti honda tune junk i'm a muscle car freak i also build dirtbikes.

Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 10:06am
See if it runs, then if it does, offer them 1500 and see what they say. Then follow pacermans suggestion.

Good luck!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 10:17am
the carb is flooding out hes asking 2000 and it has flats 

Posted By: amx39068
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:29am
Seems pretty high to me for a car with cancer.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:37am
jusat saw it floor pan were terrible frame had rust through car body sweet most the trim craiger wheels,pretty cool looking

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:57am
needs wiring harnesstires floor pans and reinforced,also seats put in and gas siphoned out and replaced.Also carb rebuild what price range should i offer i really like?!

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 12:04pm
With the floor rust, and if you are sure the quarters and trunk are OK, here in CA I think it would be a $1000 car.  You have not stated the engine size and that makes a difference too.  Joe

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 12:54pm
quarters are nice just the pans and the trunk is sold but has rust i will remove...filed for lost title...engine and trans  304 Engine, rebuilt dog-leg heads ported and polished, high rise aluminum 4 barrel intake, cast iron headers, rebuilt 727 3 speed transmission with shift kit, stall torque converter....but carb is flooding i would like your idea as of what to do its a green go if i want it he says

Posted By: Slate
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 12:59pm

There's always more wrong than you see. Offer $750, if you really want this sign off if more than $1000.

T S

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 1:00pm
ehh he wants 2k is 1500 fair?

Posted By: kellysguy
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 1:02pm
$1500 still sounds too high.

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 1:08pm
ill do what i gotta do hopefully ill have pictures of it coming home on a trailer for you guys wish me luck :)

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by 1972JavSST 1972JavSST wrote:

ehh he wants 2k is 1500 fair?
Fair to whom? Unless it runs and the parts add up to $1500 he's asking way too much at 2k. I'll wish you the wisdom not to buy on emotion and to work out the cost in time and money to bring it up to a presentable level vs. waiting until you find a better car. If you can't get this one at your price it would be smart to pass.
If he wants to sell, and you show you are serious, he'll come down. If not, see the first paragraph here.
T S

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by 390spirit 390spirit wrote:

And I must say Dave Z you build very nice cars!
Thanks Norm, your Spirit is no slouch either.
As far as this car is concerned, if you don't buy it who will? It may in fact end up going for scrap value. Don't be too eager to buy this car. At 15 years old, there's lots of opportunities comming up for you. Take your time and be picky. Offer that guy $500 and wait. I'll bet he doesn't get a better offer.

Dave Z

Posted By: Sonic Silver
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 3:12pm

needs wiring harnesstires floor pans and reinforced,also seats put in and gas siphoned out and replaced.Also carb rebuild what price range should i offer i really like?!
The only advice that I can offer is that is a lot of wisdom and experience on this forum. Listen carefully to what they say. Most of us have learned from our mistakes.

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 4:31pm
GOOD! News they got it running and are putting seats in it for test drive and telling me to get over there to see it run!

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 4:32pm
P.S i would be patient but muscle cars don't come around in arkansas Trust me ive been looking forever

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Dave Z Dave Z wrote:

[ At 15 years old, ....

Oh crap, he's 15 ?!?!?! That car is as good as on the trailer @ $5,000. LOL

Kid listen, they're gonna see you commng. Act like you don't care. Get all excited and you're screwwed. Just ask Scott about my Chevy II, ....TRUST ME !!!!

Go, look at it, drive it and whatever price they say above $1,000 decline, thank them for their time and walk away. If you don't you will get hosed !

So, 2K and you still have to do all that work on thier house? ...I don't think so.Ermm You need to get paid for the work ~AND~ get the car.Wink

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 5:24pm
Don't show up with a trailer, keep it around the corner. $1500 sounds very generous for this car, don't offer a penny more, $1000 seems more in line with it's condition. Sometimes turning around and walking away is the best bargaining tool. Use it if you have to, but don't turn back unless he agrees to your terms. If he doesn't, that's his loss, not yours. There are other fish in the sea.

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 6:53pm
.... idk what to say we are on think about it the guy needs 2k period. will not go less 

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 7:38pm

.... idk what to say we are on think about it the guy needs 2k period. will not go less 

Then no soup for him! It's that simple.Wink

2K got my a running driving rust free Califirnia 4 speeds car. Grannted, one in a lifetime deal but still..2K bought it.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 9:16pm
Seriously it's not worth $2k. $1200 tops.

I know where a guy has 2 running javelin projects he'd give up TOGETHER for $1200. both in better condition than the one you're looking for. Running $2k Javelins are easy enough to find without that much rust.

I'd tell him $1k (or maybe even $750 or $500 even) and then just let it sit. WHEN he doesn't find a better offer, he'll get back to you. Some money is better than nothing, and $500 is way more than he'd get from a scrapper.

all in all. PLEASE DON'T PAY $2K FOR THAT! wayyyy too much.

-------------

2010 Dodge Avenger

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 10:47pm
Found it here:  http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/3119265303.html" rel="nofollow - http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/3119265303.html

Sounds like the same BS the guy that sold me the Chevy II said.

Don't walk kid, run!

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:15pm
the only rust on the car besides the surface rust is floor pans and rocker panels trunk is solid and the outside. i and my father looked it over very very well....its all up to my dad now if i buy it ill floor pans and rockers in it drop the seat in and haul a**.... fair?And the story is he had his post up and when we came to see it he worked on it alot getting ready to sale he has all the parts listed in the car ive seen it myself and im not an idiot.Not the average dumb 15 year old (been building dirtbikes since i was 7 i am now restoring) well we fiddled around checking every viral piece of metal in the car....well he washed it and looks better LoL we got the motor running and it sounded mean (has sweet pipes!) and he got into the wiring harness and he said its just that old.And it was parked for 12 years!!!But i loved it and my dad is sleeping on it all we get down here in arkansas is mustangs!And its a sst and the AMC guys say no???he needs the money for a crisis lol doubted but i like the car...In 2000 he parked it when he bought a new car and took the seats out for restore saw the rust and the plans faded and there it rested. p.s really sorry for the crudy paragraph i like motorcycle manuals more then school books dad says and you expect to restore a muscle car working at walmart...hes funny!

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:22pm
Sounds all peaches and cream, but still. Don't pay $2k for that car!

-------------

2010 Dodge Avenger

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:32pm
not to be rude but i'm gonna do what i wanna do i'm liking your advise and all but i'm 15 i got many years to restore it i can buy it now get it driving then i can restore it when i got more money.

Posted By: 67RogueX-Code
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:44pm
Confused... so, why'd you ask?  Wacko

-------------
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code

Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:46pm
cause i wanted your opinions sorta expected OMG SST GO BUY THAT THING! lol also i left out im 15 and mistakes are coming

Posted By: 67RogueX-Code
Date Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 11:49pm
They're only coming because you haven't learned to listen yet.

-------------
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code

Posted By: nda racer
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 12:02am

And its a sst and the AMC guys say no???

SST means squat. It's not like SS to a Chevelle.

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 12:33am
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

And its a sst and the AMC guys say no???

SST means squat. It's not like SS to a Chevelle.

Not true, in this case it means Sits Still Terminally. LOL

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 1:00am
Well, the bright side is the seller is going to have a great day and all his friends will be jealous. The beers will be on him.

Posted By: jav343
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 1:31am
Here in CO, that car is 7-800 tops. Nothin' for nothin', just the opinion of an old guy that's owned upwards of 30 cars over the years. Listen to the consensus, kid. I'm 49 years old and still listen and learn from these guys every time I visit this forum.
Chris

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 2:21am
Originally posted by kellysguy kellysguy wrote:

Originally posted by 67RogueX-Code 67RogueX-Code wrote:

They're only coming because you haven't learned to listen yet.

X2, it'll be on the trailer in no time.LOL

I wasn't the average 14 y.o when I bought the II. Problem was I let emotion take hold and didn't listen to reason. How much work and $$$ you think it's gonna take just to fix all that rust? What about wiring...interior...that superfantabulous full race ported 304....paint and body work ?!?!?!?

It aint gonna happen in 30 minutes like you see on TV. Dad is right, a Wally word check and gonna cover it. Glad you got lots of time cause you'll be in your late 20's by the time life and finances permit.

Yeah, me too, I was doing a $10,000 build at 14 with no money and no job...Ermm

I had that POS for, how long was it Scott?; 6 or 7 years and never drove it an inch. I had a killer Grant GT steering wheel and aluminum interior but nothing else. I got really good at spray bombing stuff though.... Wink LOL
You don't have enough time or money to learn from your own mistakes but you have enough time to learn from other's.

Pay 2K and that thing will suck evey penny you have out of you from here on out until you come to your senses years later.

There is a running driving Jav in  New Orleans asking  $3500. You could probably get it for ~$2500. It's been for sale for a while. How about a running Concord In Hattiesburg asking $1000. Buy that for $700 and put a 360 in it.

Kid listen, better to have something to drive durring these years than a Musclecar on blocks in the back yard at graduation.....cause it will still be there...ask me how I knowWink

....and I was a third gen tech too.Pinch

Now if pops is popping for all the funds fine....but wally world isn't gonna cut it in a reasonable amount of time.

Don't worry, I know you won't listen.LOL

Lol i know the time im expecting a 4 year wait to drive it or more till then i have a harley yes i have a freggin harley at 15 waiting for me to be 16 lol

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 2:30am
ah man i just found a sweet 74 :\ i hate those taillights on 74 i like the 72

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 7:09am
  This post is for us old guys helping ourselves as much as helping the young guy. We're all trying to go back in time and tell our younger selves not to do something. Trouble is we probably wouldn't listen either, if if we came back from the future and got a slap up side the head from... us. This is like the Christmass Carol and we're all Bob Marley trying to warn Ebanezer Scrooge.
  I'm rather excited to see a young gun interested in an AMC. Personally I'm not saying don't buy it, I'm saying don't get hosed. Everything has a value. Patience is a vurtue, use it to your advantage.

Dave Z

Posted By: iagmc
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 7:26am
Time to tell my side, I guess

THis is what it did. neighbor had a 74 CJ5 Renegade. He had if for sell next to the baby clothes, and under the used lawn chairs. Bought it for 200 with a plow. Man now I was up town. Got it running again, found the leaking frost plug.... Fixed it. Body was shot after i had a chance to see why it was so soft. 8 hours of building a sub frame, i finally got a chance to take it down the road. Took up to local water hole, 5 minutes of "ruff" time, died. (overheated) Finally able to limp home. 3 hours trying to time and get running again (extremely sloppy timing chain, comon on older amcs and gms) Decided to pull the pan and take a look. Under side was shot, looked at top side. the frost plug let plenty of dirt in the jackets, to the point of 8 did not have any water touching it. Cracked block.

Fast forward 10 years finally have the money, wife, time to work on it. about $10k later you see the CJ in my avatar was kind of a time limit, that is my son that came about 3 months after it was "done" But we all know they are never done.  And if you ask how could you get 10K in a jeep. New FG Body, Frame off with Every bolt checked and put back together, engine, raditator, etc. Basically I bought a frame and axles.

It looks from here like you are buying a shell, and the shell is the cheapest part. wait tell you get into the little stuff that you need to run, and then need to run the heat, etc.

Walmart pays just enough to keep you from looking and  not enough to live. If you want to make money it would be better to build your name and work for your self then go down the road you are headed. the "man" will never pay you what you are worth, just enough to keep you from looking and not enough to live. You need to learn Right NOW, with everything you do, How Will This Make Me Money. the car and most others will Never make you any money and will cost you time (which is money) and lots of pesos. If you are fixing bikes that can make money, just remember HWTMMM. if you live by that you will be able to do what ever you want when you are established.

Brett

Posted By: amcrules00
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 8:07am
Originally posted by iagmc iagmc wrote:

Walmart pays just enough to keep you from looking and  not enough to live. If you want to make money it would be better to build your name and work for your self then go down the road you are headed. the "man" will never pay you what you are worth, just enough to keep you from looking and not enough to live. You need to learn Right NOW, with everything you do, How Will This Make Me Money. the car and most others will Never make you any money and will cost you time (which is money) and lots of pesos. If you are fixing bikes that can make money, just remember HWTMMM. if you live by that you will be able to do what ever you want when you are established.

Brett

Words of wisdom right there, now is the time to work on you...not that car. 

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:06am
I own and operate an AMC ONLY restoration shop and wouldn't consider touching that car no matter how much someone offered to pay for it as I would not be comfortable charging them how much it will take to make that car useable. Rust is like a creeping vine and what you can see is usually only about half of the total. I will bet you lunch next time I am in Arkansas that it will need both inner wheel housings, both rear quarters, inner and outer rockers, front and rear floor pans and troughs under the front fenders and possibly even the front radiator core panel. Just parts alone will make the price you are considering overpaying for it seem cheap.

You would be far better off to buy a better car with much less rust somewhere else in the country (that any one of us that is near the car would be happy to check out for you) and pay to have it shipped home. Heck, you and your dad could even have a blast on a road trip and fly out and drive a great running and driving car home. Good running and driving humpster Javs are very reasonably priced and there are always readily available around the country. The only real expensive ones are the AMX optioned ones with a 401 and even AMXs optioned humpsters with 360s can be bought for far less than it will cost you to just make this car road worthy.

You may not be an idiot but you are overloaded with youthful zeal and lack of experience. Fixing a bike is kids play compared to what you are contemplating getting into. There are not replacement body panels for humpster Javs so everything you need for that car will have to come from another one. And trust me and others on this forum, a 304 SST is just a plain old Jav and unless done to show condition will never be worth much more than two to three times what the guy wants for it wherease it will take you 10-15 times the purchase cost to make it into a nice car.

And BTW, you can put "nice pipes" on a ricer so unless the engine has some serious performance mods, it will still be a slug and most Mustangs, Camaros and ricers will repeatedly show you their tail lights.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:15am

...This is like the Christmass Carol and we're all Bob Marley trying to warn Ebanezer Scrooge....
LOL Is that the Rasta version of the Dickens story?

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:20am
Here is a 401 Jav AMX I paid $1500 for. It had so little rust that hand made repair panels installed cost under $1K and it did not need any panels, fenders or doors replaced on the entire car.

Even so, the car is now well over $20k of actual cost and that does not include the time value of money and the overhead of owning the shop plus it is still not yet completed even though I have people who work for me at the shop and I work on them myself. And I do not have any of the financial constraints of a young fella like yourself who works part time for Wallmart.

This car sat in a guy's back yard out here in the desert for 10-12 years and the underside and suspension were still pretty nasty even if nothing was rotted out.

and here is what it looks like today. I hope to have the recently built (built the original 401 well over a year ago but the buyer wanted closer to 500 HP so we did a second one with more go fast goodies) heavily upgraded 401 engine finally installed by next weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:27am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

...This is like the Christmass Carol and we're all Bob Marley trying to warn Ebanezer Scrooge....
LOL Is that the Rasta version of the Dickens story?
Ya got me. Wrong Marley.

Dave Z

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:36am
When I was a kid I was in love with my neighbors Trans Am. It was a 76, Silver, chicken delete, black interior, 400, cam intake headers, TH400 shift kit, convertor, 3.73s. I watched this car boil the hides from a 25 mph roll for 150'.

I checked the car out closely and found the rear frame rails were shot. I brought another nieghbor over who was a welder to check it out for me. He told me it would cost too much to fix and a better car would be cheaper. I turned my back on this car and it was only $500. I only had intentions of fixing it. Parting it I could have doubled my money easy, but my Dad wasn't having that at the time.

At $2000 I don't see you recouping your money parting it down, let alone doubling it.

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:43am
I am an original owner of a 70 AMX, and of course am partial to AMC cars. While I am thrilled to see a young person interested in an old AMC, they are probably more expensive to restore properly than most any other, and worth less when finished. If the young man is intent on restoring an old American musclecar, he would be better served with another make. They repro almost every part, including sheetmetal , of the Big 3 cars. If he must have an AMC, he should avoid the lowest hanging fruit. They will wind up being the most expensive when done.
    Following this thread is like watching an approaching train wreck. I guess we should just all get out of the way, and let it happen. Boy, there has been a lot of very helpful advice given by everybody. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I am an original owner of a 70 AMX, and of course am partial to AMC cars. While I am thrilled to see a young person interested in an old AMC, they are probably more expensive to restore properly than most any other, and worth less when finished. If the young man is intent on restoring an old American musclecar, he would be better served with another make. They repro almost every part, including sheetmetal , of the Big 3 cars. If he must have an AMC, he should avoid the lowest hanging fruit. They will wind up being the most expensive when done.

Following this thread is like watching an approaching train wreck. I guess we should just all get out of the way, and let it happen. Boy, there has been a lot of very helpful advice given by everybody. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Funny you should say that because I've been thinking the same thing. I really do like my car but I can't even find decent brakes (please let's not go into that). I've been contemplating the same thing...but I really like my car.

Kid, here's the plan, save your cake and wally it up for the next three years. be looking all the time so you know what a good one looks like. When the time is right and you have funds to match, pull the trigger on a good one......then roll up to prom in it like a hero.

If not, you won't even be able to get a date with a car with no wheels on it (ask me how I knowLOL )

Posted By: MrBeast
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 10:44am
It's not surprising that this young man asks for advice, and then when its not what he wants to hear, disregards it. I think it is a trait of all young people, but boys in particular.

That being said, I think he needs to realize that most of us on the forum have made the mistake that he is about to make. Speaking for myself, it has happened more than once and I wish I would have listened to people who tried to talk some sense into me.

-------------
"Me and the Devil, gonna take you on a long and evil ride"- Jim Morrison

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 11:00am
Originally posted by MrBeast MrBeast wrote:

It's not surprising that this young man asks for advice, and then when its not what he wants to hear, disregards it. I think it is a trait of all young people, but boys in particular.

That being said, I think he needs to realize that most of us on the forum have made the mistake that he is about to make. Speaking for myself, it has happened more than once and I wish I would have listened to people who tried to talk some sense into me.

You mean you stopped doing that?

I'm still guilty of buying cars that I either don't need or should have passed on!

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 11:35am
Dan, no I havn't stopped doing it, I just do it with alot less frequency than I used to.Smile  I have gotten much better about walking away from cars that I should pass on. Two in the last month as a matter of fact. The regret of not buying is much easier to deal with than the consequences of buying a pile of car that I'd be stuck with.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 12:16pm

Dan, no I havn't stopped doing it, I just do it with alot less frequency than I used to.Smile  I have gotten much better about walking away from cars that I should pass on. Two in the last month as a matter of fact. The regret of not buying is much easier to deal with than the consequences of buying a pile of car that I'd be stuck with.
I am almost cured. I take it one day at a time. I added it up one time, and came up a little over 100 cars, about 75-80 musclecars. The last old car that I bought was a 1970 GS 455 Buick about 20 years ago. One day at a time. I am now 62, and find myself frequently on the Corvette Forum looking for my 16th Corvette. Somebody.....STOP ME!

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 12:43pm
Sonic, take a deep breath, and step away from the corvette forum. Keep telling yourself, 15 is enough I don't need a 16th. Hope that helps!LOL

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 12:44pm
OK 1972. You said AMCs are hard to find and here you've found a sweet '74. So now you need to weight the differences. How much work does the '74 need versus the '72? Is the '74 priced better than the '72? Does the difference make up for the ugly tail lights?

Everybody here on this board was 15 once (some still act like they are 15 Wink) and we all made mistakes that we would like to see others not make. Spending too much for your first car is one of those. Pass on the '72 and watch e-bay, craigslist and other local car sites. Heck, even putting "1972 AMC for sale" in the google search engine will turn up cars. Refine it if you like but do not pays 2 grand for this car.

Good luck!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 12:50pm

Sonic, take a deep breath, and step away from the corvette forum. Keep telling yourself, 15 is enough I don't need a 16th. Hope that helps!LOL
But, but....I've never had a C4 or C5.

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

But, but....I've never had a C4 or C5.

Be strong, hang in there. You can get through this.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 1:05pm
The kid isn't around. My bet is he's loadin' the trailer. Cry LOL

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by kellysguy kellysguy wrote:

The kid isn't around. My bet is he's loadin' the trailer. Cry LOL
My money's on it being in his garage.
Nuke
T S

Posted By: SEdmonds
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 2:13pm

I know you guys are just trying to save him some of the same headaches you had when starting on your first car, but I have to support youthful enthusiasm.  Life beats us down soon enough - and sometimes, you just have to go with what moves you.  He might do well with this - he might crash and burn - but nastier cars have been brought back to life - and maybe, down the line, this one will become a parts car.

Good luck, kiddo.

I hope you get this beast running.

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 3:01pm
I am really all in supportive of him buying it.
I wish he would listen and try and bring the price down.
Luckily he's a teenager and still has plenty of years left if he does make a mistake or two right now. (Heck, I'm one to talk. I'm only 26.) I have learned a lot from the 20 or so vehicles I've bought and sold since before I got a license, usually at a loss after the project has been all torn to pieces.

It took me about 10 years and an terminally empty wallet to finally figure out that I needed to be wiser about the projects I pick up.

-------------

2010 Dodge Avenger

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 4:37pm
Hey, do what you want, and pay what you want. I'm just warning you not to be surprised if you decide to give up on this project, you won't even get back half of what you have invested in it. A certain Jav project on this forum some time ago comes to mind, getting bumped and bumped in the for sale section. There's more than that one even.

Posted By: shelbycoleman
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 6:07pm
One of you guys that's hoarding up on all the good starter cars should hook this boy up at a fair price! You know what they say now a days "a 15 year old that hates hondas and loves amc's is a terrible thing to waist". Help keep kids off hondas.

This is your brain on hondaCry.
This is your brain on AMCSmile.
 All I have to say about that.

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by shelbycoleman shelbycoleman wrote:

One of you guys that's hoarding up on all the good starter cars should hook this boy up at a fair price! You know what they say now a days "a 15 year old that hates hondas and loves amc's is a terrible thing to waist". Help keep kids off hondas.

This is your brain on hondaCry.
This is your brain on AMCSmile.
 All I have to say about that.

Props to Shelby willing to hook this kid up with ~HIS~ personal stash!LOL

Posted By: shelbycoleman
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:07pm
That's a great idea I have a 68sst javelin I could hook him up with for under $1000 if he wants to ship it across the county. Thumbs Up

Posted By: bulletpruf
Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:23pm

jusat saw it floor pan were terrible frame had rust through car body sweet most the trim craiger wheels,pretty cool looking

Frame has rust through?  It's a parts car, and $2k is about $1,500 too much to pay for it.

-------------
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by shelbycoleman shelbycoleman wrote:

That's a great idea I have a 68sst javelin I could hook him up with for under $1000 if he wants to ship it across the county. Thumbs Up

Hmmmmm, I might just have to ge that from you..LOL

Hey kid, here ya go:  http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bar/3140481698.html" rel="nofollow - http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bar/3140481698.html

Date Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by bulletpruf bulletpruf wrote:

Frame has rust through?  It's a parts car, and $2k is about $1,500 too much to pay for it.

Braaaaaah, BRAAAAAAAH, you're not understandin' !!!!

It's got pop up piskons  ~AND~ a rolla kam !!!!!

Alll fo jus' tweeny hundred !!!! LOL

Shiiiiiiii !!!!!!!!

Posted By: PlumJavelin
Date Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 2:18pm
Offer him $1700.  All he can say is "No".  The car looks worth it.  You're not going to turn it and make a profit leaving it as it sits.  Put it back together and enjoy.  The carb flooding and flat tires should not be a deal breaker.

-------------
Why won't this thing turn over...?

'72 SST Javelin "Young Turq"

'72 SST PC Javelin "PlumCrush"

2010 Winner of the prestigious AMO "Golden Hook" Award

Date Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 10:05pm
Well kid, where are you?

I'm juast wondering, if he doesn't buy this car does he have to get as new screen name?LOL

I bet he's long gone by now. if he'd have bought it we would have heard something. If he was still interested in one , same thing.

Maybe he found a cheap Honda.LOL

Date Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by bulletpruf bulletpruf wrote:

Read that earlier in the thread thus my prior comment that I wouldn't touch this car no matter how much somebody offered to have it fixed. Can it be fixed? Sure, but why bother?

Time to let this thread go as he will either buy it and regret his decision down the road or he will hopefully heed the good advice he has been given and look for something else.

As stated earlier, transoporting a rust free body from the soutwest is a heck of lot cheaper than fixing up a rust bucket.

BTW, earlier tonight I picked up a 100% southwest rust free SST roller for less than this future headache that is the subject of this thread and it even has a set of perfect Machine wheels on it! It's missing the original drive train but I have at least a dozen spare engines of all displacements and nearly as many trannies so it will either get a nice stout 360 with Wisco forged pistons or a 401 but both with a 727...should be a fun car to put back together.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 12:08pm
I'm back and the cars still there Lol hes at 1500 and now hes gonna fix it and sell it for more with pans. i could buy it for 1500 now runs needs pans and inner rockers or i can leave it and say farewell.  What everybody think that's still here? And i'd never go from amc to a honda! I got a ford 302 pickup to get me around till its finished and the ford dependable. 

Posted By: Ant
Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 12:28pm
Take it from someone who has done all the repairs plus some that that car needs and walk away.
I replaced all the pans, inner and outer rocker, sill, seat supports, quarters, inner wheel well, trunk floor, weather strip seal areas, roof, around windows, tail panel, battery area, and troughs. Keep in mind I'm still not done with all that and I've had my car for almost 10 years with the best of the best of equipment.
I will never touch a car that needs rust repair again that takes more than 60 hours to do.

-------------
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 12:37pm
this car is completely solid except the rockers and pans. I've inspected everywhere else, and i'm not looking to restore the car i'm looking for a nice weekend hotrod i got a truck and motorcycles for transportation. Basicly i got all the time to fix it up, i got buddys with welders and all the equipment i need plus they're experience offered for free. I believe the car would be a good thing for me. Right now i've gone through the motorcycles and am stepping up to cars so why not start here?

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 12:39pm
Also clear title matching numbers and all :)

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 12:46pm
http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/YamahaG5S/media/3Gb3La3J25L75Gc5F3d48d1dd4a4b6f58115f_zps0cbcdd35.jpg. - http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/YamahaG5S/media/3E13Mf3Hb5L75I45H6d4872965ae2e34e1028_zps9ffd61f0.jpg. - http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/YamahaG5S/media/3Gc3Kb3Fc5N55Ee5M8d48e1d2f1576e1018c21_zpsa2608b52.jpg. - http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/YamahaG5S/media/3I53Lb3J45L45Fa5H2d489cd8ba6c71de10c3_zps772f5b07.jpg. -

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 12:49pm
http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/YamahaG5S/media/3Ka3G33F35Le5G95Fbd48f6d19ef855101211_zps3902ecf1.jpg. - http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/YamahaG5S/media/3Ie3M43H75I95Ea5Fcd48d6bdf21bc11518b8_zps4f6d5716.jpg. - the floor pan pictures do no justice since we cleaned it out. it looks better in person but not great

Posted By: Ant
Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 12:55pm
Clearly you aren't looking for advice. Do as you'd like. Good luck!

-------------
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

Clearly you aren't looking for advice. Do as you'd like. Good luck!

Yea sorry pretty much 15 and mindset. is 1500 fair? How should i do these pans?

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 1:13pm
Get a welder. Practice practice. Weld in aftermarket pans. There are literally hundreds of articles online and lots of restoration books with good pictures to show the way. Yes, if it's not stolen and you can get a clear title to it, $1500 is fair even if the engine is a boat anchor lump. Good luck with it. Joe

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Get a welder. Practice practice. Weld in aftermarket pans. There are literally hundreds of articles online and lots of restoration books with good pictures to show the way. Yes, if it's not stolen and you can get a clear title to it, $1500 is fair even if the engine is a boat anchor lump. Good luck with it. Joe

engine runs fine but needs to clean out and new fluids. And since the post and the year went by he found the title and its clear

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 1:16pm

If you have to ask this question then you should not be buying this car.  You can buy a rust free car for less than it will cost you to have someone else fix this one.   Take your worst case cost estimate and double of triple it.  Rust is pervasive and what you think it is going to need and cost is only a fraction of what it will actually need and cost. 

Those of us who are giving you advice have been through this ourselves and do this work ourselves.  If ou chose not to listen to what we are all trying to tell you then we wish you well with your pursuit with this car but there is nothing more we can offer you for advice than what has already been provided by many who are giving you the same message.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

If you have to ask this question then you should not be buying this car.  You can buy a rust free car for less than it will cost you to have someone else fix this one.   Take your worst case cost estimate and double of triple it.  Rust is pervasive and what you think it is going to need and cost is only a fraction of what it will actually need and cost. 

Those of us who are giving you advice have been through this ourselves and do this work ourselves.  If ou chose not to listen to what we are all trying to tell you then we wish you well with your pursuit with this car but there is nothing more we can offer you for advice than what has already been provided by many who are giving you the same message.

Here's what i'll do... I'll bring the car to my buddy's house which he has been through this before he will teach me how to weld and clamp it all together. after i become good enough, i'll weld some pans in flush the brakes and drive it. After that i'll drive it for a few years and take it done for paint and further replacement. For now as bad as this sounds i want it driving, not saying piece it together dungty and fast but take my time and finish my good start. I'll worry about restore later when i get there i also got painters that will teach me and much more for free to nothing in cost. I believe i could get the car to my idea in about 5 years at max hopefully less. That would be just to driving order, i've grown up restoring things from old bike to vintage dirtbikes to bigger vintage street bikes to repairing my ford pickup. I'm very far from know how level but i will get there in time with my motivation. Right now i got a restored 73 Yamaha 175 in my garage along with a 1974 Suzuki GT750 water buffalo, all restored by me. Maybe the javelin will fit in restored too eventually till then i'll work my best for the car. 

Posted By: stonedblue
Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 1:34pm
I'll try and be a bit more supportive than some. I bought a '71 401 SST with floor and inner rocker rot and did the repairs myself with limited tools. Turned out ok. Not Dan Curtis resto , but a good driver. I have 72 hours from pulling seats to reinstalling seats. 1 right front pan right side inner rocker from dash to front seat, patch work in the lest of the floor, new carpet kit, and recovered the headliner. Also cleaned the dash, and repainted all the plastic. Money invested for the work,$650.00. Don't cheap out on floor pans and rocker panels get them from an AMC vendor like American Parts Depot, or Kennedy American. I tried the cheaper ebay pan and didn't use it, went to APD and bought the metal. As far as what you should pay, as little as possible. He's asking $1,500. down from $2k, I'd try $1,000. as an offer, tell him $100 bills in his hand and he doesn't need to cut and weld for a couple weeks! 
You are young, full of energy and can learn from the project, both good and bad lessons. Don't expect the 304 to run in the 12s on the strip, it'll run good and sound nice, but you won't shread tires without effort. 
Good luck and welcome to AMC muscle!

-------------
I can build an engine, but, I can't drain oil without a mess.'04Ram,'99Plym.Van,"96Exploder,'79Dodge pickup, '71Jav. '68Jav, and '90 Gold Rush trailer

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by stonedblue stonedblue wrote:

I'll try and be a bit more supportive than some. I bought a '71 401 SST with floor and inner rocker rot and did the repairs myself with limited tools. Turned out ok. Not Dan Curtis resto , but a good driver. I have 72 hours from pulling seats to reinstalling seats. 1 right front pan right side inner rocker from dash to front seat, patch work in the lest of the floor, new carpet kit, and recovered the headliner. Also cleaned the dash, and repainted all the plastic. Money invested for the work,$650.00. Don't cheap out on floor pans and rocker panels get them from an AMC vendor like American Parts Depot, or Kennedy American. I tried the cheaper ebay pan and didn't use it, went to APD and bought the metal. As far as what you should pay, as little as possible. He's asking $1,500. down from $2k, I'd try $1,000. as an offer, tell him $100 bills in his hand and he doesn't need to cut and weld for a couple weeks! 
You are young, full of energy and can learn from the project, both good and bad lessons. Don't expect the 304 to run in the 12s on the strip, it'll run good and sound nice, but you won't shread tires without effort. 
Good luck and welcome to AMC muscle!

Sadly i tried $1000 and $1250

Posted By: RebelRay
Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 1:54pm
First, I'm really surprised you were able to wait an entire year!  I'm 28 now and remember how well I could wait for things when I was 15.  lol.  I would have bought it the same day and then looked for advice!  I've learned a bit since then, but still a bit trigger happy.

Second, we can assume he didn't actually need the money for a crisis, since he's still sticking to the price a year later.  So you can call BS on that one.

I'm of the mindset that if I know I'm going to enjoy something, I'll pay the price that keeps me happy.  That said, here's a word of caution:  My brother bought a 74 humpster in similar condition.  Ran, drove, but had rusty floorboards and frame.  We live in Missouri, which is in the "Rust Belt" and it had sat under a tree for more than a decade.  When he got it home, we went through the process of looking it over more closely.  We removed the front passenger fender because of cancer on the lower quarter only to find the troughs that hold up the fender looked like swiss cheese.  

We also found out it had pretty bad rust issues under the vinyl top.  That's what they're talking about when they say the rust you see is only half the rust you have.  So just be careful.

That said, if you think you'll enjoy the car at $1,500 I say go for it.  Please stick around the forums.  I know some have been treating you like a kid, but they really can give you solid advice once you have the car.  They're just trying to keep you from making a mistake they made in the past.  They're a good bunch of people and will help you immensely once you have a car.

One last thing you might try:  The day you decide to pull the trigger, bring an envelope with $1,000 in cash.  Tell him that's what you're willing to pay.  Period.  Tell him you've got the money, got the trailer and you're ready to take it to a good home where it will be finally back on the road.  If he seems like he's thinking about it, keep pushing.  Keep telling him you have cash money and then it's out of his way for good.  Worst case scenario he says no and you give him the other $500 and take it home.

Good Luck!
Ray

-------------
http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62739" rel="nofollow - Click here to check out my 65 Classic Wagon build thread!

Posted By: 70 Donohue 390
Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 2:05pm
I just went to the sellers Craigslist ad and he's asking $2500. Have you seen the receipts for the "port & polish" work on the heads or ANY other receipts? The Cragars (if not rusted) and tires (if they're not MayPops, traction bars, tach and motor & tranny (IF they don't need rebuilt) (have you done a compression test on the engine?)  are worth $1500.  Have you jacked the car up to see the frame rails where they are welded to the pan? I see no brake booster so I assume manual drums? I see the wiring harness opened up so I assume some electrical issues?

I can see a potential of $1500-$2500 in just mechanical and misc issues.  NOT including the floor pans.
Why not save up and get A $3500-5,000 Javelin and personalize it to YOUR tastes. They are out there.

-------------
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction

Posted By: 70 Donohue 390
Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 2:31pm
Here ya go      http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/3738587635.html   $4200  and all the hard work is done!  Not mine... I already have one Smile

304 v8, auto, ps, man. disk brakes, amfm cd. glass is all good, aluminum radiator, aluminum intake, hei dist, headman headers, dual exhaust, with h pipe, good trunk floor, rear floors are good, front floors need a little work on right side, heater works, has had bottoms of rear quartes instaled, has a cowl hood, CALLS ONLY can not get text or messaging 859-771-2324 CALLS ONLY was tan in color, has deen painted black, runs and drives real good , and has a new set of trim rings on the wheels .can put car on rack so you can look under tires are real good, drive car a lot

-------------
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

I just went to the sellers Craigslist ad and he's asking $2500. Have you seen the receipts for the "port & polish" work on the heads or ANY other receipts? The Cragars (if not rusted) and tires (if they're not MayPops, traction bars, tach and motor & tranny (IF they don't need rebuilt) (have you done a compression test on the engine?)  are worth $1500.  Have you jacked the car up to see the frame rails where they are welded to the pan? I see no brake booster so I assume manual drums? I see the wiring harness opened up so I assume some electrical issues?

I can see a potential of $1500-$2500 in just mechanical and misc issues.  NOT including the floor pans.
Why not save up and get A $3500-5,000 Javelin and personalize it to YOUR tastes. They are out there.

No receipts the car was sitting 12 years he couldn't even find the title till 2 months ago...the cragars are nice tires suck. And drum brakes wiring harness no problems other then being old.

Date Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

Here ya go      http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/3738587635.html   $4200  and all the hard work is done!  Not mine... I already have one Smile

304 v8, auto, ps, man. disk brakes, amfm cd. glass is all good, aluminum radiator, aluminum intake, hei dist, headman headers, dual exhaust, with h pipe, good trunk floor, rear floors are good, front floors need a little work on right side, heater works, has had bottoms of rear quartes instaled, has a cowl hood, CALLS ONLY can not get text or messaging 859-771-2324 CALLS ONLY was tan in color, has deen painted black, runs and drives real good , and has a new set of trim rings on the wheels .can put car on rack so you can look under tires are real good, drive car a lot
I'd have to do payments to afford anything over 1750. And i saw this car awhile back..

Date Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 5:45pm
bought the car $1500 cash

Posted By: stonedblue
Date Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 9:12pm
Now don't leave us without updates. I know I'll be watching your and your cars progress with much intrest. Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions.

-------------
I can build an engine, but, I can't drain oil without a mess.'04Ram,'99Plym.Van,"96Exploder,'79Dodge pickup, '71Jav. '68Jav, and '90 Gold Rush trailer

Date Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 2:18pm
Congratulations!  Welcome to the AMC family.  Sorry if it was a rocky start.  Hope to see some pictures when you get it home!

Ray

-------------
http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62739" rel="nofollow - Click here to check out my 65 Classic Wagon build thread!

Date Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 2:46pm
I'll have pictures of every piece of the car when it gets here including on the trailer. We have two weeks to pick it up we got the title in hand. Also included is a 74 grill and some old mustang seat but i'm thinking mach 1 seats think they will fit? This car isn't for all original restore yet. Gonna build me a lil hotrod.

Date Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 3:21pm
I say go for it.  Not every car is a good candidate for restoration.  With the rust and missing interior pieces, it'd be a lot of work to get it back to its original condition.  So just have fun with it.  Get it running and do it up the way you like it.  The important thing is that YOU enjoy it.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 8:37pm
the only things that should be missing from the interior is the right seats carpet and a center consule if it had one, Other then that its pretty complete and it has most the trim!

-------------
1971 AMC Javelin SST
1972 AMC Javelin SST 360\4Spd
1972 AMC Javelin AMX 401\4Spd
1973 AMC Javelin R.I.P
1973 AMC Javelin 304\904
1974 AMC Javelin AMX 360\727

Date Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 9:20am
get a good Mig Welder with gas.  The cheap welders produce predictably cheap looking results and are prone to blow outs in the bead.  And by all means make sure you get a good helmet that is self dimming so you can see what you are doing without hurting your eyes. 

The guy that used to own my shop had lots and lots of bare spots on his head from weld burns because he just used googles and weld spatter would burn his scalp from when he was welding in tight spots like what you are going to have to do thus the recommendation for using a helmet.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net