Print Page | Close Window

Playmate AMX restoration begins..

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40591
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 8:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Playmate AMX restoration begins..
Posted By: UNFORD
Subject: Playmate AMX restoration begins..
Date Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 8:42pm
Here's some links to check out first..
http://www.playmateamx.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.playmateamx.com/
http://mightypilot.smugmug.com/PlaymateAMX/Restoration" rel="nofollow - http://mightypilot.smugmug.com/PlaymateAMX/Restoration
http://www.youtube.com/user/playmateamx" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/user/playmateamx

Back in July of 2010 I picked up the pink 1968 AMX given to Playmate of the Year Victoria Vetri by Playboy. Other than hauling the car to Las Vegas in November of the same year for an AMCRC show hosted by SNAMC, the car has sat quietly in a garage for two years waiting for some TLC in the form of a major restoration.

After two years of plotting the course of action, and buying up many fine NOS parts on eBay, the restoration of the Playmate AMX started last weekend on Sunday, June 10th, at the home of John Siciliano, a SoCalAMX club member.

My friend Mike Haley used his Ford 350 to haul the car about a hour's drive from my area to John's. By 10am we had about 7 members from the club there helping tear the car down. About 5 were tasked to remove the front bumper and grille, and prep the engine compartment to pull the engine and transmission out. Two other members invaded the interior, pulling the seats, console, dash, rugs (whats left of them), headliner, sun visors, and rear bumper. We stopped for a hamburger and hotdog bar-b-q, and then got back to the business at hand and pulled the beast 290 engine out. Before the day was over the fenders came off as well. At the end of the day all parts were moved to a local storage unit. That's it for the first day.

The second day of action was yesterday, Saturday June 16. I spent some 7 hours at John's again and the two of us pulled the complete wiring harness out, removed the AC unit, fan blower motor, windshield wiper motor and arms, and hacked at the sound deadening material from under the carpet for several hours. The interior is completely stripped except for the steering wheel and column, and pedals (we need to steer the car while we move it.)

The next day of action won't be the following weekend because we'll be driving north to Reno/Sparks, NV for the AMCRC National Show. But when we get back about the only things left to do are remove the fuel tank and exhaust pipes, windows, and front and rear suspension. We will then build a rotisserie for the car which will allow us to roll the car over and clean the bottom as well as the top.

There's still a lot of planning to do, but we'll address each issue as it comes up. There's rust cancer in the lower right rear quarter panel, and by peeking in an inspection panel from the inside we can see there was some damage to the lower right front quarter panel that was fixed years ago with a lot of bondo. There are two small pin holes in the right floor pan, and the hood has a hole in the front center from where a security pin/pad lock had been installed once and then removed and covered up. We'll have a better idea of the scope of body work after the paint and bondo deposits are removed soon.

http://youtu.be/XN01xkv21mM" rel="nofollow - Use this link to view a Youtube video we shot of the front end suspension linkage. Wow, the car was driven from Hollywood to Venice Beach, where I bought the car, and it didn't crash along the way! The other links at the top of the page will show many more pictures and videos of our progress.

I'd like to thank these people for their help on the project! It couldn't happen without their skill and labor!!

John and Shelly Siciliano
Allen Tyler
John Caley
Randy Kirby
Dale Crum
Richard White
Mike Haley

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Replies:
Posted By: sidewinder
Date Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 9:03pm
Very cool.....thank you for saving such an important car!!  .......

Chuck Page

-------------
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

Posted By: idrambler
Date Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 9:28pm
Mark glad to see the restore it is under way....enjoyed seeing the car in Vegas!!!!!....

-------------
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727

Posted By: THE MENACE
Date Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 6:43pm
The first time I ever saw that car in person it was (brand new) on it's way to the Playboy Club on Sunset Bl. The last time I saw that car in person it was about 5 miles from my house sitting on the little used car lot in (Marina Del Rey) that was selling it for the former owner. Big smile 

Should be a nice project! Wink

Dennis

-------------
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.

Posted By: tsanchez
Date Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 6:52pm
Great project!,

What kind of wieght is the ac unit with fan and all? Thinking of removing mine and if its only 20 lbs I may just leave it.

-------------
http://s192.photobucket.com/user/antonsan/media/jav1_zps87a70dce.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Ohio AMX
Date Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 10:31pm
Looks good, I love seeing all of that pink paint!

-------------
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983

Posted By: huddy1955
Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 3:54am
How long ago was it painted black? That pink is a beautiful pink. Beats me why someone would change that color.

-------------
1955 Hudson Hornet Custom
1963 Rambler Classic 660 wagon
1969 AMX 343 auto NO# 09 of 24
1973 Rambler Matador Wagon 360
1985 Jeep J20 pick up 360
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic
plenty of parts cars

Posted By: CloudyB
Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 5:40am
Very Cool! Again Thanks for saving the car.

-------------
70 BB Green Donohue

Posted By: bikerfox
Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 9:04am
Originally posted by huddy1955 huddy1955 wrote:

How long ago was it painted black? That pink is a beautiful pink. Beats me why someone would change that color.
Here's why:  When Angela was crowned 1968 Playmate of the Year, she drove the car around Los Angeles and guess who stalked, followed, and harassed her?  Men.....so, she repainted the car.....makes sense now?

-------------
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"

Posted By: kirkwood
Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 9:41am
There is a joke here somewhere about her needing a restoration, too, right?

Glad to see the project moving forward! Will be great to see!

-------------
AMO Newsletter Editor

Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Great project!,

What kind of wieght is the ac unit with fan and all? Thinking of removing mine and if its only 20 lbs I may just leave it.

Hmm, will have to weigh the unit the next time I am over to the storage unit. It's a lot of work to remove it, you might want to live with the extra weight..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

The first time I ever saw that car in person it was (brand new) on it's way to the Playboy Club on Sunset Bl. The last time I saw that car in person it was about 5 miles from my house sitting on the little used car lot in (Marina Del Rey) that was selling it for the former owner. Big smile 

Should be a nice project! Wink

Dennis

It was a Wednesday I bought it. I think I came in a few hours after you saw it.

I work in Century City, not too far from you. I'd like to stop by after work some day and see your latest project, an AMX I think..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:29pm

The simple answer is that the pink car attracted too much attention to each Playmate. Guys would follow them home, or cops would pull them over for an autograph.

Playboy has http://jalopnik.com/5536844/playmate-of-the-year-cars-1964-to-2010/" rel="nofollow - given a car to every PMOY since 1964. The first 12 were pink (11 cars and one boat), but Playboy stopped the pink cars because all Playmates were re-painting them anyway, why not let the PM choose her own color, right?

The story I have heard is that the Playmate AMX has been painted four times. Pink at the factory, brown soon after to hide the pink, grey or silver a few years later (probably fixed from an accident) and then black in the mid-80's. She did a topless photo for Playboy in 1984 and used the money to fix the car up one last time and http://www.playmateamx.com/pics/amx/vetri_amx4.jpg" rel="nofollow - paint it black . 

What I'm amazed about is that people actually ask if I'm going to repaint it pink like original? Duh!  :)

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

There is a joke here somewhere about her needing a restoration, too, right?

Glad to see the project moving forward! Will be great to see!

Ya, well her orange prison garb doesn't do her much justice. For those who don't know the whole story, two months after I bought the car she shot her husband at home, spent a year in county jail, then early 2012 plead no contest. So it's off to prison for 9 years, but she'll probably get out after 5 or 6 for time already spent and good behavior.

Ya, I've already heard the comment that the car should be ready to pick her from from prison the day she walks out free. That might make the news that night on local channels..

She turns 68 on September 26..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 12:49pm
Then....(the clean picture)

Now....

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 2:01pm
No problem Mark, I'm just up the hill in Westchester near LAX. Just let me know when you want to come by. I'm usually there all day Saturday and Sunday (until the AMX is done anyway) LOL. If a weekday (after we both get off work) works better that if fine too, just let me know.

Dennis

-------------
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:

Posted By: AMX390
Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 7:54pm
Looking good Mark, you have a great team helping you up there in LA. Keep the pics coming buddy.
Tom

-------------
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 8:06pm
OMG....getting old sucks!!.....that only proves that beauty is only skin deep!!!

Chuck Page

-------------

Posted By: Zioamc
Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Then....(the clean picture)

Now....
you just wrecked my day LOL

-------------
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....

Posted By: 69BBB3904spAMX
Date Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 11:05pm
I've got that Playboy issue signed by her back when......

-------------
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer

Posted By: huddy1955
Date Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 6:39am
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

she was.......

-------------
1955 Hudson Hornet Custom
1963 Rambler Classic 660 wagon
1969 AMX 343 auto NO# 09 of 24
1973 Rambler Matador Wagon 360
1985 Jeep J20 pick up 360
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic
plenty of parts cars

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 7:38am

Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

she was.......
...not in jail.

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Posted By: rockAMX
Date Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 8:45am
Just curious what the paint code is on a pink AMX? Also how many miles are on it? I am surprised she kept the car so long. Usually celebrities let these things go pretty fast so she must have either liked the car a lot or needed it for transportation desperately.

-------------
DWR
1968 AMX

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 10:18am
Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

Just curious what the paint code is on a pink AMX? Also how many miles are on it? I am surprised she kept the car so long. Usually celebrities let these things go pretty fast so she must have either liked the car a lot or needed it for transportation desperately.
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but as I remember custom factory colors carried a "X" paint code.

-------------

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20

Date Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 11:27am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but as I remember custom factory colors carried a "X" paint code.

Ken, Playmate Pink or any other non-standard color used a "00" paint code.

-------------
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983

Posted By: will333
Date Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 1:56pm
Yeah, but as I recall, and the current owner I'm sure will confirm, the car was hit years ago and the original door was swapped out and the tag was discarded with the door. So I'm guessing we'll never know with this specific car.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 Automatic
Turbo Silver outside,
red on the inside
"The Orbiter"

A Scott Campbell restoration

Date Posted: Jun/24/2012 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by will333 will333 wrote:

Yeah, but as I recall, and the current owner I'm sure will confirm, the car was hit years ago and the original door was swapped out and the tag was discarded with the door. So I'm guessing we'll never know with this specific car.

True, true! Both doors of the pink AMX are blue. I will do my research and and duplicate the tag as best as possible. The code is "00" for a custom paint scheme.

Just got back from the AMCRC Nat. Show in Reno, NV. Long hot drive home down 395 behind the Sierra Nevada mountains. We will be back at work on the car next weekend..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: Zioamc
Date Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 4:22pm

-------------
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....

Posted By: bigbadgreen
Date Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 6:55pm
Paint it big bad orange...to match the new suit.lol...amx weathered the storm a little better, just a guess.great project.keep up the good work!

Date Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 10:58pm
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=326.1&aid=465" rel="nofollow - http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=326.1&aid=465

Interesting, someone alerted me that a pink AMX is being auctioned off tomorrow morning at the  http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=326.1&aid=465" rel="nofollow - Barrett Jackson auction in Las Vegas. The car is being heavily referenced to the Playmate AMX, so much so that one might think they're the same car. 

A lot of Playmate AMX info being referenced to this car at Barret Jackson.

Since when did the Playmate AMX have stripes?

Here's the real Playmate AMX today, on the rotisserie we just built for it..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: mopar63
Date Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 11:04pm
a quote from their web site re the auction car
 "1968 was the start of the 3-year only run of the great American Motors Corporation AMX two-seater. In 1968, AMC congratulated Angela Dorian, the "Playboy Playmate of the Year," by handing her the keys to a brand-new AMX, powered by a 390 and finished in "Playmate Pink." The dash-mounted serial plate (#362335) was custom-made to reflect her measurements. This particular AMX is finished in the same color combination as the 1968 "Playboy Playmate of the Year" car."

the original car is a 290? isn't it,
is the last sentence of this part of the quote an 'out ' for the auction house?
seems like they are using the playmate thing as an enticement to bid whilst not actually saying it is a playmate car
looks like Barret Jackson need to be corrected  .

-------------

Posted By: amx39068
Date Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 11:18pm

clones are popping up everywhere!

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Posted By: mopar63
Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 2:16am
nothing wrong at all with having a clone so long as there's no ' innuendo' that it's the real thing 

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 9:22am
I saw this car at the AMO Livonia show. The previous owner (who restored the vehicle) had a "for sale" sign that began at $35K. Several lower amounts had been crossed out and the final amount I saw was $29K and he continued to have difficulty attracting customers.
I think, for the auction's sake, BJ has been stretching the truth in order to attract customers. 

Anyone who has grandiose dreams of this or any other pink amx being a high dollar car better drop back down to reality!  I don't know very many guys who will drive a pink car, but I'm sure there are one or two out there.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 10:20am
BJ stretch the truth? Tell me it isn't so! Shocked The write up tells the story of the original Playmet AMX but no where does it say the one up for sale is the original car. Just dancing around the truth like happens so much in todays advertising. Poor sap that buys that will of course think he has the Playmate car. And he'll try to sell it as such, and so on.

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Posted By: will333
Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 10:40am
Not sure if this has been added to the listing since our discussion began but, it does clearly say this is a tribute car. It's easily over looked in the description, but it is stated.

"This particular AMX is a tribute to the original car, finished in the same color combination as the 1968 "Playboy Playmate of the Year" car."

-------------
1968 AMX 390 Automatic
Turbo Silver outside,
red on the inside
"The Orbiter"

A Scott Campbell restoration

Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 11:17am
Originally posted by bikerfox bikerfox wrote:

I saw this car at the AMO Livonia show. The previous owner (who restored the vehicle) had a "for sale" sign that began at $35K. Several lower amounts had been crossed out and the final amount I saw was $29K and he continued to have difficulty attracting customers.
I think, for the auction's sake, BJ has been stretching the truth in order to attract customers. 

Anyone who has grandiose dreams of this or any other pink amx being a high dollar car better drop back down to reality!  I don't know very many guys who will drive a pink car, but I'm sure there are one or two out there.
Steve, that was my factory original pink '69 AMX in the display class at Livonia, not the B-J tribute car. I also remember speaking with you there. I did end up selling it for more than $29K but again it was a documented original. I will be interested in seeing how the tribute car does at auction.

-------------
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983

Posted By: fulsizjeep
Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 12:37pm
Interesting.  Someone's paints may be on fire.   I would drive the wee out of a Pink AMX if Santa left it at my house.  LOL

-------------
Flint

Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 3:04pm
Steve, that was my factory original pink '69 AMX in the display class at Livonia, not the B-J tribute car. I also remember speaking with you there. I did end up selling it for more than $29K but again it was a documented original. I will be interested in seeing how the tribute car does at auction.

Sorry, I thought that was the same car. Ouch

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Posted By: 68BlazerBlue
Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 5:47pm
This could be the car from FL that Brandi and her husband did, if so it is a very nice tribute.

-------------
1968 Blazer Blue AMX, 390,4-spd. 1971 Javelin SST 360 Auto

Posted By: 70amxvegas
Date Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 9:13pm
I walked the car today that sold for 32k .The owner did a GREAT JOB as for promotions , she had a 10 foot marker next to the car with photos and display,she even had a girl in a bunny suit. The car itself was a good 10 footer , but the fender exts front and back and the stainless trim around all glass were on the car in the paint booth. UGH, the rear taillight housing was pitted the head liner hung down looked like a fiber glass job ? The hood was down .But at 32k she the owner was there when i said YOU DID GOOD . Her said o yes we are very happy.
I am glad the market has moved, for I was at 22 k on her if that .But alot of money on all cars today . Times are getting better HMMM B.J in sedona ? 50 k for mine .

In this B.J Auction in Vegas people may spend alot more then the cars worth, but even with the sales fee you will come out ahead (selling )....if you got the guts to go no reserve.I my self would make sure I have a freind in the seats bidding up my car and pay the fee just in case. What a fun day today.

Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 8:27am
You don't need friends in the seats to bid it up. BJ has that covered with their shills.

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Posted By: 17tamx
Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 2:38am
Hows the progress on the car Mark?

-------------
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto

Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

BJ stretch the truth? Tell me it isn't so! Shocked The write up tells the story of the original Playmet AMX but no where does it say the one up for sale is the original car.
Later!
Mr. Ed

I don't mind anyone talking about my car because it only brings more interest to it and hopefully more value in the future. However, the picture below was being distributed next to the car at the auction clearly stating, ""Playboy Playmate" Car."

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by 17tamx 17tamx wrote:

Glad you asked Kirk. We have the car up in the air and will be doing some sheet metal work on it soon. The right rear quarter panel is rusted through. While pressure washing the car last weekend we found the VIN number stamped on the frame, matching the numbers on the dash and fender. In the next few weeks hopefully the car will be moved to the media blaster. The goal is to have it finished in Spring 2014 so it can attend the next Kenosha Homecoming..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: Wrambler
Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 2:38pm
Can't wait to see it followed on here and done. Loved the last one since it was all posted.

Somewhat off topic, what did you pick for a height on the rotisserie pivots?

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300

Posted By: 17tamx
Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 2:51pm
That flyer speaks of fraud in my opinion. Someone knew better but did it anyway. Maybe the last owners are politicians and just couldn't help themselves.

-------------
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto

Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

Can't wait to see it followed on here and done. Loved the last one since it was all posted.

I don't remember the measurements we ended up using. We measured from the center of the car to the side and had to have at least that much for the car to clear the center pipe, front to back, when we rotate it. It clears with about 6 inches to spare. Turns quite nicely and rolls well too.. Total cost was about $400..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by UNFORD UNFORD wrote:

Glad you asked Kirk. We have the car up in the air and will be doing some sheet metal work on it soon. The right rear quarter panel is rusted through. While pressure washing the car last weekend we found the VIN number stamped on the frame, matching the numbers on the dash and fender. In the next few weeks hopefully the car will be moved to the media blaster. The goal is to have it finished in Spring 2014 so it can attend the next Kenosha Homecoming..

Hey Mark
It's looking good!! Already looks better than when it was sitting on the used car lot there in Venice/MDR. Where are you taking it to get media blasted, and have you used them before?
I have an AMX I need to get blasted.

Dennis

-------------
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:

Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 3:23pm
Too bad you aren't down here in Sandi Eggo.....supposedly, there's a great place on Sports Arena Blvd that does soda blasting.

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Posted By: raysinvegas
Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 4:44pm

That flyer speaks of fraud in my opinion. Someone knew better but did it anyway. Maybe the last owners are politicians and just couldn't help themselves.

X2 Kirk. I bet the person who bought the B-J car would like to know that wasn't the real deal. I know I would, and B-J would be in some legal trouble.

-------------
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler

Date Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 7:53pm

No it was not fraud, it clearly stated the car was painted the same and it was not the real car given to her . It was in the big write up so you had to read the whole thing to catch it . As I said before the car was promoted as it may be the car. Again 32 k for a pink auto car was strong money. It was a nice flip for no extra care was given to make it a real nice car.

Posted By: Wrambler
Date Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 3:33pm

Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

I don't remember the measurements we ended up using. We measured from the center of the car to the side and had to have at least that much for the car to clear the center pipe, front to back, when we rotate it. It clears with about 6 inches to spare. Turns quite nicely and rolls well too.. Total cost was about $400..

Thanks, i've got 6 sticks on 1.5 x 3.0 between 7 and 8 ft long. Been thinking about making one, just not sure what measurement to go for.

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300

Date Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 8:09pm
I haven't posted about the Playmate AMX in some 2.5 months so thought I'd let out an update. We've been working on it almost weekly, just Saturdays, so it's slow but steady progress.

Some of the recent posts were about the pink AMX that sold recently at the BJ auction in Las Vegas and the confusion it brought over its authenticity. If you'll remember there were some promotional items with the car that clearly stated "Playmate AMX" in quotation marks.

Well I bring this up again only as a fun note at this point. Recently the engine of the Playmate AMX was at an engine machine shop being rebuilt. A few of the shop's customers came in after being at the BJ auction and mentioned the PM car to the owner. He told them it was a tribute car and the customers replied no, no, it was the real PM car because it said so on the flyers being handed out. The shop owner had to tell them the story and point to the engine in the corner that was for the actual PM car.

By the way, the engine is back home and looking sparkling clean. It is still un-assembled and I haven't taken any pictures of it yet, but will do so soon. When we first took the engine apart we found the pistons had .040 stamped on them so it was obvious it had been rebuilt already. Further more the engine rebuilder found out the crank was a 304, not a 290 as indicated on the block. It's only a guess on my part but maybe the PM ran the engine out of oil at one point and the cheapest way to rebuild at the time was to stick a 304 crank and pistons in because they were more plentiful. Probably only the PM knows. We stayed with the 304 crank, went to .060 on the cylinders, and put 304 pistons in it.

Okay, I have pictures to show of the body work being done. This PM car had a hard life previous to my ownership. It looks to have been hit on all four sides at one point or another.  I am lucky to have two great friends helping with the project, John Siciliano, the owner of the house where we are doing all the work, generous to offer his garage and tools, and Allen Tyler who is a master at body work. He comes over, dumps out his bag of tools, and starts hitting on the car with a hammer like it was a whack-a-mole game. Before you know it it's fixed!

The left rear quarter panel had a gash in the skin, and the former body shop just filled in the hole with bondo and called it a day. To fix it we hammered the metal flat, welded the cut together, and ground the surface flat. I don't have pictures of that particular area because I was on a run to the store for parts and it was fixed by the time I got back.

The right rear quarter panel had cancer so we had to cut away and replace both the inner and outer panels. I should have more updates in the ensuing months!

We found the VIN number stamped on the frame behind the power steering unit. It matches the DMV records for the PM.

This car was real dirty. Even after blowing out all the drain holes and inspection holes, the dirt keeps coming out.

Check out the YouTube video of us flipping the car over and the dirt coming out..

Starting to cut out the cancer on the right quarter panel.

Close up of the section being worked on.

The inner panel being held in place with tech screws. After welding the panel in we removed the screws.

The inner panel is in place, and now we focus on the outer panel.

Right quarter panel is done! Nice work by Allen!

Had some crumpled sheet metal on one of the wheel well lips. The holes you see were under the bondo left there by the last one to do body work on the car.

So we had to straighten the area, then weld the holes closed.

And finally grind the welds flat.

An area of the front right floor pan. See the multiple holes?

Allen made this piece out of sheet metal to go over the holes in the inside.

And welded the holes closed on the outside.

Evidence on the window pillar of the chocolate brown color the car was rumored to have been painted shortly after the PM received the car.

A fun day at the office. Welding on the wheel well in the interior section.

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 8:16pm
Thanks for posting. It is good to see that the work is progressing.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 8:27pm
Hey, great looking Javelin and its color. What's the MPFI in your 360MPFI tag? Does the FI stand for fuel injection?

Mark

Thanks for posting. It is good to see that the work is progressing.

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: SEdmonds
Date Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 8:41pm
Poor little pink baby.  She's in good hands now.  Imagine the stories this car could tell.

Date Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 9:00pm

Hey, great looking Javelin and its color. What's the MPFI in your 360MPFI tag? Does the FI stand for fuel injection?

Mark
Thank you. That is kind of you to say so. It is a one off color that PPG custom mixed just for that project. It is no where near as significant as your project though.

The Javelin is one of the custom project cars I have helped to build over the last two years. It is powered by an AMC 360 with the Edelbrock ProFlow2 Multi Port Fuel Injection system. It was the very first fuel injected engine project I got to work on. If your interested in the details here is the link to the project thread.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/74-javelin-refresh-for-javlynn-sue_topic41548.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/74-javelin-refresh-for-javlynn-sue_topic41548.html

Ken 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 10:06pm
Imagine the stories she could tell!

It's known that the Playmate met Sharon Tate while filing the movie Rosemary's Baby and became friends with her. I'd guess that Sharon used to ride around town in the PM AMX as well as Linda Evans that I hear was friends with the PM. The first year she had the car she probably drove it over to the PB mansion often and took other Playmates for rides.

Well when she gets out of prison maybe I'll get to meet her and ask her all these questions. It would  make for an interesting story on the local evening news to pick her up at the prison gate in her former PM car when she walks out a free person.

Originally posted by SEdmonds SEdmonds wrote:

Poor little pink baby.  She's in good hands now.  Imagine the stories this car could tell.

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 10:10pm
I am interested in fuel injection for my other AMX, maybe throttle body? I will read up on your multiport setup tomorrow. And read up on the BBP AMX you are helping on..

Mark

Mark
Thank you. That is kind of you to say so. It is a one off color that PPG custom mixed just for that project. It is no where near as significant as your project though.

The Javelin is one of the custom project cars I have helped to build over the last two years. It is powered by an AMC 360 with the Edelbrock ProFlow2 Multi Port Fuel Injection system. It was the very first fuel injected engine project I got to work on. If your interested in the details here is the link to the project thread.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/74-javelin-refresh-for-javlynn-sue_topic41548.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/74-javelin-refresh-for-javlynn-sue_topic41548.html

Ken 

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 6:42am

I am interested in fuel injection for my other AMX, maybe throttle body? I will read up on your multiport setup tomorrow. And read up on the BBP AMX you are helping on..

Mark
The BBP AMX is about two weeks or so away from completion. That is if we don't run into any major issues. Funny you should mention throttle body. Jim and I would love to play with one to see how it stacks up to the MPFI for use on a project car. I am thinking of using my Hornet as a prototype. We have been looking at the MSD Atomic EFI. No return line required, 8 wire hookup, and it all goes under the hood. MSD claims a one day installation.

If your interested here is a link. http://www.atomicefi.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.atomicefi.com/

-------------

Date Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 7:04am
I've been checking on all the EFI setups on the market and the MSD unit is high on my list. I think I've read that although it is a return-less system, they recommend adding a return line for high temperature area operations. After I read your MPFI threads I'll have some questions.

Mark

Mark
The BBP AMX is about two weeks or so away from completion. That is if we don't run into any major issues. Funny you should mention throttle body. Jim and I would love to play with one to see how it stacks up to the MPFI for use on a project car. I am thinking of using my Hornet as a prototype. We have been looking at the MSD Atomic EFI. No return line required, 8 wire hookup, and it all goes under the hood. MSD claims a one day installation.

If your interested here is a link. http://www.atomicefi.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.atomicefi.com/

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Jul/12/2013 at 6:42pm
Here's another short update on the Playmate AMX. The car was more or less striped down mechanically before the end of 2012 and work started on cleaning the bottom of the car. It was a very slow process since I had to travel a hour out to John S's house only once a week to work on the car. Allen T. proposed I move the car  to his house and he would work on it daily or when time allowed. 

The original plan was for Allen to clean and paint the bottom before putting the suspension gear back on and shipping it out to a body shop to finish it. But after Allen got to working on it, the paint on the upper half came off easily, and after looking at the body condition he decided to take on the task of doing the bodywork on the entire car.

So in the time span of about 4 months Allen has cleaned the bottom of the car, repaired numerous body panel sections, aligned the doors, hood, fenders, and trunk lid. Doesn't sound like much but I can tell you Allen has been working very hard on my car for me and fixing things on the car a body shop would never have took the time to do. Let's say there were things repaired that only he or myself will ever see, that will be covered up after the car is put back together. It had  to be done on this car. He even managed to squeeze in his daughter's wedding along the way, which took a lot of time too.

So two weeks ago we went to the local paint shop and bought all the supplies for painting the bottom of the car. The price for "preferred customers" was just under $1400. Ouch! I'm looking forward to seeing how much the paint will cost for the top half of the car. We are planning to paint the bottom next week. After so much tearing apart and cleaning for the past year it will be exciting to finally see some new color on the car!

My goal is to have the car finished in time to take it to the 2014 Kenosha Homecoming.

Mark

Here we are loading up the Playmate AMX shell on a flat bed truck for the trip to Allen's house.

On the left in the blue tshirt is P-O Wallin, an AMC guy from Sweden, in town for our club's AMC Car Show that weekend, checking out the Playmate AMX. Allen Tyler in the middle pointing out something to Tom Dulaney.

Ka-ching! $1400 of goodies here. Paint, reducer, catalyst, sealer, primer, etc..

Here's the color, Playmate Pink. This test piece matches the color on the car around the window frames and truck lid..

The engine has been slowly going together in between working on the body.  

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: raysinvegas
Date Posted: Jul/12/2013 at 7:18pm
Looks great Mark!!!

-------------
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler

Date Posted: Jul/12/2013 at 7:20pm
Looks like some major progress! Glad to see this car being restored the way it should be!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: 0069X
Date Posted: Jul/12/2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Zioamc Zioamc wrote:

Wasn't the PM car in this promotional photo a "stand in" for the actual factory "Pink" car that was unavailable at the time this photo was taken?
I don't remember the real Playmate car having Magnum 500's.
Poor Victoria got the shaft from Playboy. She gets a base model 68 AMX, where the 1969 Playmate got a Shelby Mustang.
Don't get me wrong, (I'm an AMC guy) but we all know what Shelby's bring
at B.J.
Wouldn't it have been nice if she had just got the windows tinted when everybody was stalking her?
Too bad it wasn't one of those super solid Southern California cars we always hear about. Good thing it didn't come from the North Eastern part of the country.

Date Posted: Jul/12/2013 at 8:25pm
Funny you posted an update. Just the other day I was wondering how things were progressing.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/14/2013 at 3:32pm
From my research and what I have heard from others is that the pink AMX in the May 68 Playboy issue announcing the Playmate as PMOY, was pulled from Dick Motors AMC Dealership in Los Angeles as a non-pink car, painted pink for the photo shoot and washed clean of the pink color by the end of the day.

The reason was that the actual car to eventually be presented to the Playmate was still at the factory being prepared. The picture below was taken when the real deal car finally made it way to Los Angeles and the keys are being handed to the PM by an AMC representative. 

Mark

Originally posted by 0069X 0069X wrote:

Originally posted by Zioamc Zioamc wrote:

Wasn't the PM car in this promotional photo a "stand in" for the actual factory "Pink" car that was unavailable at the time this photo was taken?
I don't remember the real Playmate car having Magnum 500's.
Poor Victoria got the shaft from Playboy. She gets a base model 68 AMX, where the 1967 Playmate got a Shelby Mustang.
Don't get me wrong, (I'm an AMC guy) but we all know what Shelby's bring
at B.J.
Wouldn't it have been nice if she had just got the windows tinted when everybody was stalking her?
Too bad it wasn't one of those super solid Southern California cars we always hear about. Good thing it didn't come from the North Eastern part of the country.

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Jul/14/2013 at 3:37pm
How about a new car in the line of SS-AMX's? Shall we call it the "SS-Playmate AMX"? It has a good ring to it!

While the PM car was out in the sun last weekend we threw a SS-hood up on the PM hood. I'm just saying..

Mark

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Jul/15/2013 at 9:10am
Some amazing progress since you had the car at the Vegas show Mark. You guys are doing a very nice job.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Date Posted: Jul/15/2013 at 6:31pm

From my research and what I have heard from others is that the pink AMX in the May 68 Playboy issue announcing the Playmate as PMOY, was pulled from Dick Motors AMC Dealership in Los Angeles as a non-pink car, painted pink for the photo shoot and washed clean of the pink color by the end of the day.

The reason was that the actual car to eventually be presented to the Playmate was still at the factory being prepared. The picture below was taken when the real deal car finally made it way to Los Angeles and the keys are being handed to the PM by an AMC representative. 

Mark

That is pretty much true, except (just to pick nits) the dealership name was Dick Allen Motors!! 
Wink
Dennis

-------------
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:

Date Posted: Jul/15/2013 at 6:46pm

That is pretty much true, except (just to pick nits) the dealership name was Dick Allen Motors!

Very funny, Dennis! You ought to know!

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Date Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 10:38pm

Mark

That is pretty much true, except (just to pick nits) the dealership name was Dick Allen Motors!! 
Wink
Dennis

Sorry Dennis, forgot to reread my typing before posting. You guys know what I meant!!  :)

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 10:42pm
Just another update on the car..

Finally seeing noticeable progress on the project. This past weekend the bottom of the car was painted by Allen Tyler. Next step is to get the suspension back on the car and get it on the ground so the top of the car can be body worked and painted..

Mark

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 12:07am
That thing's gotta be Photoshopped!

-------------
1968 AMX (2005-2011)

Posted By: rocklandrambler
Date Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 2:17am
YOWZA !!! Is that thing PINK, or what !! Looks great

-------------
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H

Date Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 8:39am
its early in the morning here on the west coast and now I have to wear sunglasses after looking at that pink under carriage!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 8:57am
Hope my daughter doesn't see it.....I'd be building a clone!!   Looking good!!

Chuck Page

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 9:57am
Chuck,
The other one is only an hour or two away from you up in VT near the southern tip of the lake!

-------------

Posted By: Have2SC's
Date Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 6:29pm
  i can see pink all the way to OhioLOL

-------------
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed

Posted By: 401jim
Date Posted: Aug/04/2013 at 2:32pm
Holy cow!!!!!!!! Nice job Keep the pics comming

-------------

Posted By: amx56
Date Posted: Sep/02/2013 at 9:11am
where did you find the original playmate car and if you dont mind what did you pay for it. I have a 70 amx bought it 28 years ago.

Date Posted: Sep/02/2013 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by bikerfox bikerfox wrote:

That thing's gotta be Photoshopped!

How so Steve?

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Sep/02/2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by amx56 amx56 wrote:

where did you find the original playmate car and if you dont mind what did you pay for it. I have a 70 amx bought it 28 years ago.

AMX56, I bought a 1969 AMX in 1977 the summer after I turned 18. It was my first car and I still have it today. I have driven it from Los Angeles twice to Denver, once to St. Louis, and to the last Kenosha Homecoming in 2011. 

The Playmate car is my second AMX and I bought it from a small used car lot in Venice Beach, CA. I was alerted to the sale of the car by Doug Galvin on a Tuesday night by email. The next day I went over to look at the car after getting off work, and ending up buying it.

From talking to the used car lot owner he said the car was put up for sale by the Playmate in Hollywood at a gas station on consignment. Someone saw and bought it and resold it to the used car lot owner. He briefly entertained ideas of restoring it himself but quickly backed off, and instead put it up for sale on eBay. That's when Doug emailed me about the sale and I went to look at it. 

I was told a gentleman in Vermont had agreed to buy the car for a set price, but the banks had closed on the east coast for the day so he'd wire the money in the morning. However the used car lot owner told me if I'd pay $500 more he'd sell me the car right then and there. I thought to myself, "there's no guy in Vermont, this used car lot guy just wants to get extra cash out of me."

So I accepted the extra $500 charge and paid $12,999 for the Playmate AMX. Later I found out there really was a gentleman in Vermont that had tried to purchase the car. I ended up talking to him on the phone and the first words out of his mouth were "Congratulations!" Kudos to Mike Dundon in Vermont for his sportsmanship. Mike several months later bought the other pink AMX, the 1969 AMX ordered new from the factory by an Ohio school teacher, from Scott Campbell in Ohio.. 

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Sep/02/2013 at 10:21pm

I ended up talking to him on the phone and the first words out of his mouth were "Congratulations!" Kudos to Mike Dundon in Vermont for his sportsmanship. Mike several months later bought the other pink AMX, the 1969 AMX ordered new from the factory by an Ohio school teacher, from Scott Campbell in Ohio.. 

Mike is a great guy and has done a couple of cars on the eastern half of the country for me.  He does great work.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/03/2013 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

Mike is a great guy and has done a couple of cars on the eastern half of the country for me.  He does great work.

I agree Dan, right after buying the PM car Mike sent me some parts, like a AM/8track radio, no money up front, and if I liked them I could pay him later.. 

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Sep/03/2013 at 1:36pm
I forgot to mention, while in Denver last week at the AMCRC show, I picked up a NOS front bumper for the PM car, still in its factory paper wrapping, for $600. Not a single strike mark on the backside of the bumper..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: Kapptaink
Date Posted: Sep/04/2013 at 11:34am
Wow what a deal.

-------------
PrevOwned:73HornetX 360/a727 Blk/Blk-69Javelin/R/R-69AMXBlk/W-69JavelinPrimer
Kirk

Date Posted: Sep/04/2013 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> I ended up talking to him on the phone and the first words out of his mouth were "Congratulations!" Kudos to Mike Dundon in Vermont for his sportsmanship. Mike several months later bought the other pink AMX, the 1969 AMX ordered new from the factory by an Ohio school teacher, from Scott Campbell in Ohio..</span><span style="line-height: 12px;"> </span>

A minor point but the teacher who special ordered the pink '69 AMX was actually from Missouri.

-------------
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983

Posted By: colincs
Date Posted: Sep/05/2013 at 11:00pm
Awesome restoration project! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Posted By: AMX390
Date Posted: Sep/07/2013 at 8:01pm
Yes Mark, More pictures please. I have seen this car in person, there are few AMC's ever made that carry this much power in their story, and it's all about the story.
Tom

-------------
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

Date Posted: Dec/11/2013 at 2:13pm
Any progress Mark?

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Dec/11/2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Any progress Mark?

Ya, my friend Allen is working on the body almost daily. The bottom has been repainted and the next step is to get the car back on the ground. First we have to get the suspension back on it. I think that will happen in January. Then it's finish the body and get it painted so the remainder of the car can be completed. I haven't posted pictures recently but will as more progress is achieved..

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Posted By: 68SSTjavelin
Date Posted: Jan/29/2014 at 9:58pm
This is a great "story" car. It looks like you are doing an amazing restoration!! Congratulations on being able to give it the care it deserves! Would love an update if you've made any more progress.

Best Regards,
Sean

-------------
It's not the destination, it's the journey!
'68 Javelin SST
'06 Impaler custom scooter
'11 Harley Street Glide

Date Posted: Mar/17/2014 at 11:29am
I've heard a few requests for an update on the Playmate AMX. It just happens that yesterday on Sunday, March 16, 2014 we achieved a good deal of work on the car and there's some really good new news to report.

For the past year the car has been at the home of one of the guys in our club, Allen T., who has spent a ton of time working on the car--bodywork and more. We moved the car to his home while it was on a rotisserie. 

See the pictures of the car one year ago when we moved it to Allen's home..
http://theamcforum.com/forum/playmate-amx-restoration-begins_topic40591_post467486.html#467486" rel="nofollow - Click here

There was some damage to the left rear of the car (bumper bolt up area) which we did not notice until the car was on the rotisserie, and could not be fixed until after the car came down off the rotisserie. Well yesterday we got the car down off the rotisserie, and for good measure we even put the engine in, and bolted the transmission in before the day was over. A while back my goal was to have the car finished to haul to Kenosha in July for the big homecoming show, but with only three months to go and the interior not in yet, and the body not painted yet, it looking like the realistic timing for the car's first show might be the Las Vegas AMC Show in November.

Currently the status of the car is as follows..
The bottom of the car, trunk, interior, and engine compartment have been cleaned and painted Playmate Pink. The front end suspension has been cleaned, painted, and re-installed. The rear end has been rebuilt and re-installed. The leaf springs have been rebuilt and installed, all rear end suspension parts have been cleaned, painted, and re-installed. A new gas tank with a new calibrated sending unit has been installed. All new fuel and brake lines have been installed under the car. All sheet metal and body work is finished, except for block sanding before painting the body. The lower inner and outer right quarter panels had to be completely replaced due to severe cancer. The radiator has been restored to new condition and painted. The engine has  been rebuilt and installed into the car. The transmission has  been rebuilt and installed. For the past three years I have been buying parts like crazy and have a shelve loaded with NOS parts to go back on the car--including a NOS front bumper!

Anyway, here are some pictures from yesterday when we put the car back on the ground and put the engine in..

Mark M..

Allen T. working on the left caliper.
Allen working on the left caliper.

View of bottom of car from rear.
View of bottom of car from rear.

View of front suspension.
View of front left suspension.

View of bottom of car.
View of entire bottom of car.

Getting ready to drop front end on ground.
Getting ready to drop front end on ground.

Front wheels on ground. First time in a year!
Front wheels on ground.

Getting ready to lower rear end.
Getting ready to lower rear end.

Pinky is back on the ground!
Pinky is back on the ground!

Engine loaded up at John's house. Back over to Allen's to drop her in..
Engine loaded up at John Ss house.

As pranksters we signed the torque plate.
As pranksters we signed the torque plate.

This is the point where everyone hopes the chain won't break.
This is the point where everyone hopes the chain wont break.

Engine in! Pretty!
Engine in! Pretty!

-------------
Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

Date Posted: Mar/17/2014 at 11:49am
Wow you sure have come along way since it was last here in Vegas. Nice to have a bunch of club brothers helping you out also. Car will be a show stopper . Hope you are doing well also. Great job.

Date Posted: Mar/17/2014 at 11:55am
Looking REALLY good Mark!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Posted By: AMXBOB
Date Posted: Mar/17/2014 at 11:59am
Looks great Mark!!! However the torque plate will be off-balance with all those signatures!!! Bob Martinez

Posted By: GnipGnop4
Date Posted: Mar/17/2014 at 12:42pm
Awesome!

Posted By: 68SSTjavelin
Date Posted: Mar/17/2014 at 4:28pm
It looks like you are doing a fantastic job! Way to go!

-------------
It's not the destination, it's the journey!
'68 Javelin SST
'06 Impaler custom scooter
'11 Harley Street Glide

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net