Print Page | Close Window

'63 Rambler Classic oil filter type

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made I-6 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38626
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 5:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: '63 Rambler Classic oil filter type
Posted By: Chrispycub
Subject: '63 Rambler Classic oil filter type
Date Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 10:09pm
I'm almost ashamed to ask this simple question: I just got this Rambler and I need to change the oil and filter tomorrow- when I go to Auto Zone, what do I call this type of oil filter? The one that's on it now is from the 1980's.

Replies:
Posted By: 59ramblersuper6
Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 12:28am
Get the Brand name and part number off of the old one. If it's a 196 It think its a PH50. I think. If you use the search function on this forum you should find it easy. It may not be available over the counter anymore it maybe a special order item. 

Posted By: 59ramblersuper6
Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 12:29am
Oh and they should be able to cross reference the number from the old filter. 

Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 5:24am
Thanks! I'm gonna send my spouse up there this afternoon while I'm at work and put it on tonight. It says "P-3" on the old one so I hope they give us the right one or I'll just have them special order if it isn't in stock. I'm dying to get this car on the road already!!! Hahaha

Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 7:32am
If it's a cast iron 195.6, it should have a Fram PB50.   Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Posted By: 68_Javy
Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 8:30am
DO NOT use a Fram filter, they literally destroy engines, their filter material falls apart and does a terrible job filtering the oil, you might as well put a cup there instead of a Fram. any other brand is fine, I've been using purolators and Mobil1s lately, I am happy with how they work. K&N makes a nice one too.

-------------
Dan B.
1968 AMC Javelin 232 3 speed

Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 8:30am
I believe it's an aluminum 195.6- been considering switching out to cast iron one though.

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 9:32am
Autozone won't have it.
NAPA can get it.
Sometimes a Fleet & Farm store will stock it because the PB50 was used on some industrial, agricultural equipment.

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Chrispycub Chrispycub wrote:

I believe it's an aluminum 195.6- been considering switching out to cast iron one though.

If it's the aluminium engine, forget our talk about the PB50. It should be a PH 11 or equivalent, and those are easy to find.

-------------
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384

Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 9:36am
Originally posted by 68_Javy 68_Javy wrote:

DO NOT use a Fram filter, they literally destroy engines, their filter material falls apart and does a terrible job filtering the oil, you might as well put a cup there instead of a Fram. any other brand is fine, I've been using purolators and Mobil1s lately, I am happy with how they work. K&N makes a nice one too.

While I don't trust Frams the way I used to, I really don't think they'd still be in the oil filter business if they were as bad as you say!Wink  I'll use them when I have to, but prefer to use WIX which makes NAPA Gold (and every September and March my local NAPA store sells filters at 75% off list! So, I just stocked up!)

-------------

Posted By: 68_Javy
Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Originally posted by 68_Javy 68_Javy wrote:

While I don't trust Frams the way I used to, I really don't think they'd still be in the oil filter business if they were as bad as you say!Wink  I'll use them when I have to, but prefer to use WIX which makes NAPA Gold (and every September and March my local NAPA store sells filters at 75% off list! So, I just stocked up!)

haha that's true, I won't use them based on information that I've seen. They work, but don't expect to get past 150000 miles with a Fram filter. while they do block some particles, the cardboard end caps always seem to buckle the inside "fins" usually putting a hole in them causing some particles to get by. 

-------------
Dan B.
1968 AMC Javelin 232 3 speed

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 8:22pm
If it's a 195.6, and the filter is up near the radiator, then it's the Wix 1050 filter. You don't need to change it every oil change, because it's a bypass system, eg. only partial filtration. Better than nothing I suppose!

If it's down low on the passenger side (U.S.) then it's the "modern" filter, NAPA 1258, WIX 51258, Mobile One M1-203, ACDELCO PF24. Both the modern six (199/232/258) and the aluminum 195.6 have it down low (on the block, or the pump, respectively).

Fram USED TO BE a quality item, but seems to have become crap. There have been instances of the elements shredding, but the internal filter ends are glued on and seem likely to separate, unlike the NAPA Gold/Wix filters which have metal ends (or did...!) and a spring, so it won't lift/flow around unless severely plugged.

The best is cheap insurance here!

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 9:32am
FRAM wasn't the only one to have problems with a foreign filter supplier in the late 80s (or was it early 90s?). Fram apparently used that particular supplier for more filters than anyone else, as they took the hardest hit. Might be a QC problem -- the others may have recalled filters whereas my understanding is that FRAM just let the questionable filters sell out. Not sure on the details, but do recall reading several other low cost brands used the same supplier and had the same problems for about a one year period, but FRAM is the only one that lingers. I've used some over the last 10 years with no problems, but could just be that newer car filters are better quality, whereas the older model filters are farmed out to lower cost/quality suppliers. 

-------------
Frank Swygert

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net