Print Page | Close Window

'60 Rambler American

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38450
Printed Date: Apr/18/2024 at 6:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: '60 Rambler American
Posted By: nukeday
Subject: '60 Rambler American
Date Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 9:29pm
Hi folks, new to the forum but not Ramblers. Just bought this car, and it's going to need pretty much everything gone through. I posted an intro in the new member section, too.

I've only got a '63 & '64 TSM for the American, I'm thinking there are a couple of different bits underneath on this '60. So, a few quick questions:

1. I'm about 95% sure, but can someone confirm for me that the wheel lugs are all Right Hand Thread? Had an old Dodge flathead and a Stude that I broke lugs off of becuase I didn't check first.

2. Are the jacking points under the car the same as for the '61-'63?

3. Can someone refresh me on proper flat towing of this thing? I want to say backside first onto a 2 wheel car dolly, but it's a stick so I think I could put it on either way. I've only got to move it about 45 miles (and it's pretty much all downhill).

I need to play with the forum settings a bit more and then I'll try to get some pics up.

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: pacerman
Date Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 7:00am
I've never owned a pre-1961 Rambler but here's my thoughts.

Either way on the towing.   Just don't go too fast.  It will be more stable with the heavy part of the car up on the dolly though.   It's usually recommended to disconnect the driveshaft and tie it up or remove it for really long tows.   That's a problem if you have the big nut rear universal joint though.  I would only put the rear end first on a dolly if I had some problem like a locked brake that forced me to position it that way.

I think the jacking points are the same as the 61-63 because the 61-63 models were just re-skinned pre-61 Americans.  Original lugs should be all right hand thread.  If you look closely at the tips, beyond the lug nuts, you should be able to confirm that.  Joe

-------------
Happiness is making something out of nothing.

Date Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 1:02pm
Hey Pacerman, thanks! We're hoping to go get it today. I scored a set of '68 stock American steelies w/14" tires. Once we get it up on all fours, I'll have a better idea what's what. I'm considering a flatbed trailer, it's the tow rig that's causing me fits. My '88 4 banger Caravan just doesn't have the cajones to stop this whole mess, so I'm calling in favors to guys with trucks. If I can't find a good setup, I may just rent both truck and dolly from U-Haul. They gouge the heck out of you these days, but at least I know I'll get it home that way.

Pictures soon, my daughter is chomping at the bit to get this thing home. She is fully armed with camera and lots of youthful enthusiasm. :)

Date Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 1:31pm
Here is the first photo we took. She forgot her camera, so this is from my phone. This is the worst side, the lower bodywork is full of bondo...

Not sure about this forum, but I'm reluctant to post pics of my kids. Please be kind, she's only 14. :)

Posted By: SEdmonds
Date Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 6:25pm
Don't worry - This is a nice family forum and there are some under 18 members on here.

It's a darling car, and your daughter is to be commended for her choice in vehicles.  Smart women drive Ramblers. Thumbs Up

What are the plans for it?  I can imagine the dreams she has for it - this is GREAT!

We ended up buying a flatbed of our own because renting the U-haul trailer for every little trip with my car was getting crazy.  Best thing we ever did.

Posted By: Zioamc
Date Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 8:18pm
neat little rambler your daughter has great taste you said you picked up some steelies it could look like this

-------------
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....

Date Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 11:18pm
It's home. Nothing noteworthy really. Got a U-Haul dolly for the Caravan after I discovered the hitch was rated @ 3500#.

We did get about 4 minutes of sunshine, then pea-gravel sized hail followed by continuous rain. I'm still soaked as I write this.

The seller and I did up a bill of sale and a deposit agreement, and he gave me the title. So 'technically' I own the car but I haven't actually paid him the full balance yet. He wasn't home the entire the 3 hours I was there loading the car. I stuck note in his mailbox as his phone number appears disconnected. I have the balance of the money for him and he has the only key to the car. I have the title and BOS, but it was NOT fun trying to get this thing out of the muck and mud without access to the steering wheel.

I used a come-along strapped to the tow dolly and winched it out about 10 feet. Took 3 successive attempts, my come-along only has about 10 feet of cable. Swapped my 14" steelies on the rear, you already know...the front's wouldn't fit, hit the tie rod ends. Fortunately the front tires were in way better shape than the rears and they were on the dolly anyway. I just checked the air in them as we made our way down the mountain.  Had to re-cinch the straps once and retorque one of the rears, but otherwise. It's sitting in the front yard waiting on daylight to offload. :)

Date Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 12:00am
As it sat. 3/4 of the car was less than 18" from a Cherokee in the driveway. A bit tight.

Almost out...

All loaded up. Hard to see, but the snow was maybe 100ft above where we were.

Man! That guy is following way too close! haha..

Date Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 1:40am
Messed around today after I got it off the dolly. Don't have a spare battery laying around, so I had to sort of rig it up. Used my remote starter trigger, since the key doesn't seem to fit the ignition.

Teaspoon of Marvel in each cylinder, oil checked, added some water (the radiator leaks), turned it by hand several times and then gave it a couple of bumps. The points, rotor and cap all look great, but I didn't closely examine the points. Hooked up the coil on a couple of attempts, but no spark at plug 1 or 2 (those are the only 2 I pulled). It's pretty mickey-moused during the vid, but I wanted to baseline it and see if will be able to get a compression check before we put 'fire' to it. I have a 2aH trickle charger on the battery. Maybe tomorrow we'll make a little more progress...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186ukeday/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/?=view&current=Sunny047.mp4 - http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/nukeday/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/?action=view&current=Sunny047.mp4

Can't quite figure out how to embed it here, jostling around a 50 year old car two days in a row has me tuckered out...

Date Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 2:08am
A few more pics. This is where it will be until I can get it in the garage.

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 9:45pm
Nice little project she has there. What color(s) does she want to paint it?
Keep us posted
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Posted By: amxdreamer
Date Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 11:16pm
Neat car! I still can't believe you towed it home with a Caravan!

-------------
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333

Date Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 1:17am
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Nice little project she has there. What color(s) does she want to paint it?
Keep us posted
Dave ----

The plan for now is to keep it yellow. We're looking at a couple of more modern Mazda and VW yellows.

Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Neat car! I still can't believe you towed it home with a Caravan!

2.5L straight 4 no less. The rig has some history...haha. It made the trip, the brakes are fresh and the 3spd AT got me 18pmg with the Rambler behind it (down hill). The weight differential was in my favor, not by much, but the Rambler really is not very heavy.

Date Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 6:40pm
Picked up a full set of '53 Statesman 15" wheels today. Finally. Grabbed a set of near new used 165 VW Bug tires and now I should have what we need to get this thing standing up correctly. It's got the 14" '68 American rims on the back now, with 15" chrome stamped steel 'holey' rims up front. The 14"s that were on the rear had 50 profile tires on them, and I think the front has 55z. It's stupid low and a pain to get under without a jack.

Try to get some pics up after the little Ms. runs some steel wool and compound around the 70 year old rims...

Date Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 1:34am
Have a fairly high degree of confidence that this car will run, and quite likely shift. I have NO confidence it will stop. Scarebird looks like the way to go, but I'm just not coming up with an acceptable master cylinder solution.

Suggestions? or links here that I haven't found?

Thank you!

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 8:44pm
brakes: i (and likely others) strongly suggest you re-plumb the brake lines, and then it's easy to convert to a modern dual master cylinder. On my '63 American I installed a NEW master cyl that cost $27 -- not a rebuilt. Info here: http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/index.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/index.html

(I bought a Scarebird kit for this car, haven't installed it yet, will do so in May.)

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Date Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

On my '63 American I installed a NEW master cyl that cost $27 -- not a rebuilt. Info here: http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/index. - http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/index.html

I read this page once, I must have missed the MC swap. BTW, tomj, I'm a huge fan of your work and your web pages on your car. Thanks for documenting all the stuff you've done. The air holes in the drums are brilliant (and skillfully executed).

Date Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 1:43am
When I picked up the 15" wheels from the '53 Statesman, I discovered it had a complete L-head and AT. Yard wants $350 for both. Anything in there I can use? $250 for just the engine. Still researching the different flatheads. Is the AT even worth looking at? With the L-head, it seems like it would be a dog.

Any thoughts on picking this up for a spare?

Date Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 12:43am
I did a couple of searches, but couldn't find what I was after. I've got a Pertronix ignition here, and I'm nearly positive it's a 'spare' I bought for my old 196.

Can someone confirm the early 6 Pertonix PN please?

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Posted By: fast401
Date Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 7:41am
My Dad had a 60 with a rare continental kit.  That thing looked fantastic!!!!!!!!!  The car was Brown bottom and a Cream top.  I have always liked the American.

-------------
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com

Date Posted: May/01/2012 at 1:55am
Dug out the Pertronix it's a 1641, I think (it's in the garage now), got two sets of points and two condensers from RockAuto, got a '58 American TSM, a 1960 Operator's Manual, and the new ignition switch arrived today. Should have what we need to try to start it up now.

Quart of Corroseal arrived last week, but my poor daughter has had a serious cold w/temps @ 103. She's not been in much of a mood to scrape rust and pull seats.

Family has a huge garage sale planned for the weekend after Mother's Day, and I am going to be swamped trying to organize the 'sale pile'. A benefit of being currently unemployed. We might try to squeeze in some 'Sunny' time for comic relief.

More to come as we move (slowly) forward :)

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 8:25pm
Well, slow, as usual...

I'm going to need two front drums. When I was first suspicious I found them on RockAuto.com, but there are no more fronts listed. Anyone know where I can get some?

Looks like I may need to get this rig up and running until I can refi the house. Going to probably have to sell my beater van.

On another note, I'm back to work, but the pay is well below where I was this time last year. Love the job though. If anyone is interested, I'm building some really cool stuff at http://www.rosenaviation.com" rel="nofollow - Rosen Aviation . If you need an entertainment system for your private/corporate jet, just PM me... :)

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Posted By: DocCreer
Date Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 12:21am
Awesome Car,Im in Oregon too and rebuilding a 61 american for my sister,if you need any info on where to get parts,or help,shoot me a message.

-------------
61 American
82 eagle limited

Date Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 5:32pm
Well, life certainly is entertaining. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to use this Rambler for my daily.

I can barely keep the lights on and the fridge full, so Scarebird is out for now. This is a severe budget build, and certainly not my first choice for a daily driver. But, I own the car, and I'm able to do most anything to it that it NEEDS. The trick is deciding what's a want and what's a need. LOL

With that in mind, I intend to swap out the front brakes for something more modern, but I'd like to do a 'bolt on' using discs from a 70's Grem/Hornet. A couple of Pacers nearby too, but I don't know if they used the small car brakes. Anyone?

I've got a line on a '78 Concord for parts, but I'm not sure how late I can go. I've not actually done this swap, Frank had already completed it on the '63 American when I purchased it, years ago.

What do I need to take off the Concord? I thought there were simply 4 bolts on the spindle that I could pull and just remove the whole front rotor/caliper/spindle. Am I mistaken? (Obviously the wheel/rotor/caliper has to come off first.)

The car needs a master anyway, so I'll use a '61-'63 dual res. If the plumbing for the discs is bigger than the '60 MC outlets, I should only need a fitting adapter for the rears.

As per the earlier posts, it needs quite a bit of stuff:
-Brakes
-Clutch linkage looked at
-Front & rear window gaskets
-Fuel filler solution (of some sort)
-Fuel pump/wiper vac rebuild/replacement
-Ignition upgrade

I'm in a position where I have no choice but to step this project up to the front burner, so your advice and replies are most appreciated. Once I get it running, stopping and shifting, I should be able to sell off our second car and point a little of that money towards the build.

If you've got parts, especially if you're relatively nearby, I'd like to hear from you. I'm in the Eugene, OR area.

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 2:08pm
About time for an update on this thing.

Messed around a bit and got it running, still needs attention to the brakes, and the clutch linkage.

Bodywork has started. I'll try to get some photos up, we just had a baby, so things are a bit crazy around here. :)

My comp crashed about 3 months ago and I'd been looking for the forum address, sorry it took so long to update. I will get photos up soon, car is about 1/3 prepped on the driver's side. Still a long way to go...

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 6:48pm
Does anyone know if 61-63 window regulators will work in this '60? All four have stripped gears. :(

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: Jul/27/2013 at 10:00pm
Ok, decided to take a good look at why the clutch pedal was all whack. Instead of an isolator plate, there are two sets of 3 chain links securing it to the block side mount. I tried to get a pic, and I will before I take it apart. Very ingenious, but um...sort of rinky-dink.

So, here is my question: Is one end of the clutch beam 'free'? The side that mounts to the insulator makes sense, but the other end just sort of rests against the inner fenderwell lip? Doesn't make sense to me.

This pic shows the linkage in an exploded form, the end opposite the isolator is what I'm concerned about. Does it just float or does it attach to something (near the #6)? Additionally, there are some metal sort of two hole washer things in this photo (3 are shown, near the end of the arrow #3), I'm guessing to add rigidity to the whole assy. Is this something I could just fashion out of sheet plate?

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/img285_zps4e7443f8.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

This is an underphoto showing the linkage in place. Where it shows the 1/2" gap, I don't see any way to attach this to the car.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/img286_zps10b58425.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Finally, an update on the (slow) bodywork. :)

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/CAM00013_zpsa6b1b1ff.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Making some progress, as soon as I can figure out how to get the 'running' video off of FB, I'll get it over to photobucket and loaded up here. :)

Any help on this clutch thing is most appreciated. I ordered the repair kit from Galvin's and have it, but I don't want to put it on until I know if I need to fashion those two-hole keepers...

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Posted By: RebelRay
Date Posted: Jul/28/2013 at 8:13pm
Nice project.  Sorry to hear about the money problems.  I can certainly relate.  My dad did more than a few miracles to keep our worn out old station wagon on the road when I was a kid.  Were you able to find the brake parts you need?  I have a pair of 9" drums that I got from another forum member.  I think they were from a 65 or 66 american if I remember correctly.  They're yours if you want them and you think they'll fit.  Just pay the shipping.  They look almost new.  PM if you still need them.  

If you get that video and upload it to YouTube, you can embed it in the forum post and it will play in the post instead of loading a new page!

Ray

-------------
http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62739" rel="nofollow - Click here to check out my 65 Classic Wagon build thread!

Date Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 4:43pm
Bump.
Anyone have any tips on this clutch linkage? '58-'60 should all be the same. I'd appreciate a photo of this setup in a car if someone has one.

RebelRay - Thanks for the note. Solved most of my money problems with a recent job upgrade, but it's only an 18 month contract...so now's the time to get caught up and get this car on the road. I've owned 2 big body Rebels, one was a '68 'Vert, 287 AT (never should have let it go), and a '68 SST 343 AT 2DHT. Had a lot of fun with both of them. Sort of eyeing a '66 Rebel here in the area, but it's pretty rough...

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Posted By: farna
Date Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 1:24pm
Did you ever get the clutch linkage figured out? It's way different from the 61-63 models...

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 11:59am
Not yet Frank, my new job is incredibly demanding. Gone from no money to work on the car, to no time to work on the car. It's always something, but I like this 'problem' better.

Kids are still doing some body work, and we've got the radiator out to complete some paint and prep on the front, so it can wait until we've got it back together...

Thanks for checking in on us :)

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 9:21pm
Wow. This has been a sort of useless thread, eh? 
Alrighty then, enough of that.

Broke out the goodies today and pulled the rear drums to inspect the brakes. The drums actually just fell right off, and the shoes are fat. The car has a missing cap for the MC, so there is/was something going on with the brakes at some point. Rather than guess, I have a new MC here that will go in after I inspect the fronts. 

I've got the MC, one set of shoes (rears, I think), and wheel cylinder rebuild kits for all four wheels. I would expect that once the cylinders get some juice, they will leak. I could do them all now, but I'm not going to. First the MC, some new fluid and then just see what happens.

Have a new fuel pump here, and I'll need to inspect the vacuum wiper motor. The fuel filler pipe from the fender to the gas tank is MIA, so I will probably have to drop the tank and clean it out. I was considering coating it and all that stuff, but I may just throw a chain in it and wash it out. A buddy has a remote camera thing we can just stick in there to see how it looks.

Have a brand new radiator waiting for it, points/condenser, cap & rotor. It ran when I messed with it last summer, so I won't drop in the Pertronix until it starts getting wet out here again. 

Bodywork is where we left it when the boyfriend got the boot, so it looks a mess. He did put in a floor patch behind the driver seat, and while it looks really amateur, I think it will be just fine. 

Discovered today that it's got some kind of crazy huge shocks in back, they are probably air shocks, but I haven't found a 'pump-up nipple' for them. They may be the old school, on the shock casing type. I'll look at them closer once I get the brakes done.

Actually have all the parts we should need to get the car mechanically functional, and every time I check something out, I continue to be surprised at just how good of shape it's in. I've drug a lot of  cars out of the Oregon mud and this one was by far the best taken care of before it got parked. 

Jobless once again, but the wife and I are starting up a little http://https://www.etsy.com/shop/WeeWilkinsWoolies" rel="nofollow - wool diaper cover home business , if you're in the Eugene, OR area on a Saturday, stop by the Eugene Saturday Market and check us out. If you want to you can look on our Etsy site too. Not sure what the policy is on cross posting or 'advertising', but currently the money from this venture goes for 'nice-ities'...like Rambler parts :)

Finally got a phone manufactured after 1994 and should be able to post some iOS photos soon. 

OH! Someone told me that the '60 American had a TRIANGULAR gas tank, and that was part of the problem with finding a replacement for the fuel filler neck. This car does NOT have a triangular tank, but a rectangular one (it looks an awful lot like the one in my '63). So, if anyone has a filler neck for the rectangular tank (58/59? 61-63?), please message me. 

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Posted By: pit crew
Date Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 9:32pm
Any progress is better than none at all. Just keep chipping away at it and keep us updated from time to time.

Date Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 9:48pm
Guessing the car might actually be a '59. The title reads '1960 JEEP'...huh? Guessing it might have been a '59 that didn't get registered (or sold) until '60. Not the first time it's happened to me with an old Oregon title.

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 10:24pm
I didn't read your whole thread again tonight, but if you really care whether your Rambler is a 59 or 60 model, check the data plate which I think is on your driver's door post in an early American.  The first two digits of the model number denote the model year.  Good luck with your project.  I really like Eugene.  In fact I might relocate to that vicinity when I retire.  Joe

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/30/2014 at 12:40am
Thanks pit crew and pacerman. I'd forgotten about the obvious: door plate...lol...
Tomorrow supposed to be 87 here, which is uncommon for this time of year, but I'll take it. Hoping to get the front brakes looked over and the MC in. 

The driver front was dragging pretty badly when we put the car on the trailer a couple of years ago. I'm not looking forward to opening that one up. Probably a broken spring, but who knows. If the drums are toast, I'll have to hold off on the MC. 

Looking forward to playing with it some more in the next week Big smile

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: Apr/30/2014 at 4:48pm
That filler neck tube is going to be a PITA. The factory used a big rubber tube (2.5"?) that was flared on the filler end. So you inserted from the top then screwed the metal piece that holds the cap on over the flare. The tubes aren't available any more, so you have to get creative. Luckily it's a standard size, so you can get straight fuel resistant hose. What I did on "our" old car was pull the metal gas gap ring and weld a piece of exhaust tubing to it. I think I used a belled 90 at the top so the gas cap would fit in the belled area, but I don't recall exactly how I did it -- other than a piece of exhaust tubing was welded to that piece and a straight piece of hose was used in between. There was another 90 on the bottom -- don't recall if that was already on the tank or I used a pre-made exhaust 90 and a short piece of rubber to connect to the tank. I've done a couple of those, I might be thinking about how my 63 Classic tank is done, but the 63 American was similar.

At least you're making progress! One more thing -- I'd push in on the wheel cylinders a little to make sure they will move, and pull the rubber dust cover and see if they are rusty inside. If they are you may as well pull them apart, clean the inside with a fine sand paper, then use the rebuild kits.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: May/01/2014 at 12:52am
Frank, as usual, this is a great recommendation on the wheel cylinders. I didn't get to it today, spent the afternoon working on our bus and fixing a leaking outdoor faucet. 

As for the fuel neck, think I'm going to check in with my muffler guy, he raced locally for a long time. He's got experience on a lot more than pipes, and I'd guess he could solve this problem for pretty cheap.

I'll peek at the guts on the wheel cylinders, sometimes lazy isn't the best approach...Wink

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: May/14/2014 at 11:13pm
All four wheel cylinders are crusty/leaked. Got both rear wheel cylinders kitted today, but I'd suspect it's the last time around for the bores.

Fronts are giving me fits. Having a really difficult time breaking the line from the cyl. There is just no room back there. Pulled one front wheel cylinder through the front to see if I could get a big wrench on the body and the 5/8" flare on the line. All I did was chafe the line bad enough against the backing plate to now require a replacement. Put a little chunk of 2x4 between the wheel cylinder the spindle, just in case, when I was cranking on it. Regardless, no joy in front.  At this point, I will probably just order new front cylinders and soft line. As inexpensive as the parts are, I remembered why rebuilding them was sort of an exercise in diminishing returns. Plus, mine will probably leak.

So, I need a couple of anchor plates for the front, I'm not sure why they are missing. Here's a photo of the rear, the part is the same. It's the sort of 'bull head', top center, between the upper springs and the shoes.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/Rearbrakes60American_zps9062e7bf.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: May/15/2014 at 4:56pm
The good news is that just about ANY Bendix drum brake setup will have that anchor plate. As long as it fits over the stud you can use it. You could almost use a large washer, but the elongated ends are there to keep the shoes in place as the lining wears. There is no pressure on the plates, so you could make something from 3/4" wide 1/8" thick bar stock if you need to.

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: fast401
Date Posted: May/15/2014 at 5:34pm
We used clear 2.5 tubing (tygon?) for the gas tank from Speedway Motors.

-------------
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com

Date Posted: May/16/2014 at 2:59pm
Went ahead and just ordered the left and right front wheel cylinders, I still have to replace the MC as well, and order the soft hose and keepers. 

I have been playing with the angle of the fuel neck, I think I've found a couple of stock pipes that might just drop in. The length will need to be adjusted, but it could save a lot of time fabbing something up.

Frank, since the front and rear brakes appear pretty much the same, I just realized I can use the anchor plates off of any Bendix rear setup I come across. Thanks for the push to think about it just a smidge more. Doh.

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 1:24pm
Hey folks, quick question on the front wheel bearing seals. I've only had the front driver drum off, but the bearing seal appears to be lined with cork, and is degraded. It's possible I damaged it when pulling the drum, but it's really difficult to tell. 

I don't have any reason to think I need to replace the bearings, they look fine. Anyone have experience on the synthetic/neoprene seals that are available? I know there are a couple of items out there that are listed as 'such & such', but are simply the wrong part, Rambler shocks come to mind. 

Still need to order the soft lines, so I'll be putting an order in with either Galvin's or Rockauto. Like to avoid ordering parts that won't fit.

Comments appreciated. :)

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: May/19/2014 at 2:30pm
Wheel seals are common enough that you should be able to get them at a local store, take them home and compare them to you yours, and return them if they don't fit.  If you can read the seal number on yours, you can shop by phone for a crossover number.  Joe

-------------

Date Posted: May/20/2014 at 10:35am
And if that fails, just order seals from Galvin, as he should know what fits. 

-------------
Frank Swygert

Date Posted: May/29/2014 at 7:13pm
Grabbed the stuff I needed, and rockauto brought the rest. Putting the MC in now, just took a break for a bite to eat. More photos tonight, maybe. Pretty exciting stuff...haha..but it's progress.

Not sure the filler neck is going to work, but I thought as long as I was out, I'd try to find something. That's next on the list, when the brakes are done. It's out of a '73 Opel Manta.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/miscbrake_fuelparts_zpsabfb70e3.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/Driverfront_zps219e5061.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Not sure if I ever got this up, but we had it running last summer. Might have it actually on the road in the next few weeks. We'll see.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/nukeday/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/Sunny047.mp4" rel="nofollow">

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: May/29/2014 at 9:43pm
Got the master cylinder in, but didn't get to the front passenger brake. It's the tightest of all of them, I'm going to see if I can back off the adjuster before I pull the drum. If the rest of the car is any indication, the adjuster *should* be free.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/mastercylinder_zpsdf8951bb.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

My two-year old helper decided to play 'A Christmas Story' with the lug nuts, and I spent a half hour trying to find them all. It's entertaining, because he doesn't actually talk. He understood just fine though, and showed me that he'd carefully placed three of the lugnuts on the various axles of the bicycles in the driveway. Pretty smart fella', if I do say so. 

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/toddnChris5_29_14_zps6a106429.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Anyway, two are MIA, and the whole thing sort of busted the wrenching vibe, so I put it up for today.

Discovered that the 15" rims off the '50 something Statesman actually rub the tie rod ends. I'm wondering now if all the 'brake noise' I thought I heard was just the rims rubbing....

Hope to wrap up the brakes tomorrow, and maybe throw the new radiator in and play with some wiring. I'm tired of looking at this thing just sit.

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: May/29/2014 at 10:44pm
Alright, one more. 1994, San Jose, CA. You know what it is. A bit hard to tell in the photo but it is a Cross Country. Bought it for $650, rebuilt the carb and drove that puppy. I believe it was for sale not long ago in the Bay Area for $12.5K....very confident it's the same car. If someone here owns it, gimme' a shout.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/1994_Todd56CrossCountry_zpsfb661ff8.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: May/30/2014 at 5:55pm
So yeah, front passenger brake lines are not coming apart. Soaked them overnight in PB, but no joy. Banged up the 3/8" hard line fitting pretty good. The clearance for the 5/8" at the back of the wheel cylinder is so tight I can't get my wrench on it enough to break it loose. Pulled the cylinder through the backing plate and tired it that way, but nope. Nothing doing. So both ends of the soft line might as well be welded on. Considered just cutting it off, but the hard line is already so taught there's no latitude to cut if off and reflare it. 

Got me a little pissy at the moment, actually.

Checked out the fuel tank today, and went ahead and dropped it. It was all disconnected already, and this is probably why:

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/trunkfloor_zpsc6f5a227.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

This is looking into the trunk, the hole is where the forward side of the gas tank strap mounts to the trunk floor. So, ah yeah, need to take care of that.

That's it for now. I may go out and work on the schoolbus, it needs new lights and a ground issue sorted out. No stupid 50 year old 3/8" fittings and crusty metal brake lines to deal with...

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/nukeday/media/Pipes%20-%20The%20bus/86GMCshortbus_1_zpse9b25099.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super

Date Posted: Jun/01/2014 at 1:43pm
You can get longer soft lines, but that probably won't help. Hard lines come in up to 5' lengths and aren't expensive. I used a couple 5' lengths to replace the rear line in my car, just use a union connector in the center. Might be time to just replace the lines. 

-------------
Frank Swygert

Posted By: amcglass
Date Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 1:20pm
cool

-------------
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin