Print Page | Close Window

70' Javelin Tach Repair

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Electrical - non engine
Forum Description: Charging systems, lights, non-ignition system, it goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30483
Printed Date: Apr/17/2024 at 7:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 70' Javelin Tach Repair
Posted By: fasttony
Subject: 70' Javelin Tach Repair
Date Posted: Jun/26/2011 at 9:08am
My 70' Javelin Tach electronics needs to be repaired or replaced anyone know who does a good job on these?

Thanks

Tony

Replies:
Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Jun/26/2011 at 10:00am
Are you sure it's broken? It's easy to miswire them. How did you wire yours?

-Steve-

Posted By: 70amxvegas
Date Posted: Jun/26/2011 at 12:23pm
mailto:rodhhrod@comcast.net - rodhhrod@comcast.net    these guys can do a minor repair to 100 % complete including speedo tear down and adjustments , I had mine done 100% including new decals over the tack and speedo , temp and fuel adjustments very well priced about 800 but they will charge you for only what u want done and a fast turnaround.

Date Posted: Jun/26/2011 at 4:51pm
 The wiring is correct to the 1970 Technical Service Manual diagram. Back in 76' my senior year of high school it only had about 29K, I remember when I used it keeping 2-3 spare ignition coils in a box behind the drivers seat in case the engine started backfiring and stall out while driving a regular happening, incidently this would kill mufflers after a while. One of my Uncles worked on it for my mother when needed, unfortunately he didn't know then it used a resistor coil so this went on for a while. Since then the Tach has not worked. I recently picked up an original 266 B-R Delco-Remy coil, I will try it and see if it makes a difference, then post results.

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Jun/26/2011 at 5:43pm
There have been several people, including me, who have wired their '70 AMX tach incorrectly. The car ran but the tach didn't do anything.

Just as a sanity check compare your wiring to this.

-Steve-

Date Posted: Jun/27/2011 at 7:11pm
Steve
 That matches what is in my manual, I tried the Tach wired direct last night still no go.

Thanks 

Tony

Date Posted: Jun/27/2011 at 9:15pm
e mail the lead i gave you . it is shot

Posted By: pnypwr
Date Posted: Jun/27/2011 at 9:51pm
what sort of ignition are you running? some of the aftermarkets wont have the correct wavelength to run a fact tach...thus needing a tach adapter.  you said you carried ign modules my 70 amx has points.

-------------
70 amx 360 survivor

74 gremlin 390
69 amx 390 project

68 sport satellite vert 440

03 mach 1 4.6 4v with a snail

65 mustang notch 347

Posted By: bikerfox
Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 12:28am
Originally posted by fasttony fasttony wrote:

The wiring is correct to the 1970 Technical Service Manual diagram. Back in 76' my senior year of high school it only had about 29K, I remember when I used it keeping 2-3 spare ignition coils in a box behind the drivers seat in case the engine started backfiring and stall out while driving a regular happening, incidently this would kill mufflers after a while. One of my Uncles worked on it for my mother when needed, unfortunately he didn't know then it used a resistor coil so this went on for a while. Since then the Tach has not worked. I recently picked up an original 266 B-R Delco-Remy coil, I will try it and see if it makes a difference, then post results.

Who/where did you buy the 266 coil??

-------------
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"

Posted By: bcsideshow
Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 10:34am

All gauge restoration places I have worked with have not been able to repair these tachs.  They all put new tach mechanism's into your gauge cluster.  Cheapest I have found this was around $225 up to $325.  They then have more traditional tach hook ups but look like the original   I have two with broken needles that I might try to piece together if you want to sell yours assuming the electronics are broke but the needle is good.

-------------
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted

Posted By: javsst70
Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 3:42pm
Just remember that the 70 Javelin tach is a series tach, and it runs off the positive side of the coil.  I had one fixed by H & H ( http://www.tachman.com - www.tachman.com ) but I see he no longer does AMC tachs.  When I had one converted from stock to MSD tach drive (also works with GM HEI setups), I sent it to http://www.gaugeguys.com/ - http://www.gaugeguys.com/ .  They did a nice job with it.  The only thing is that they had to use a different needle than the stock one, since mine was broken off and was converting.  They look like they can convert or restore, depending on your needs.

Posted By: jeremy0711
Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 4:24pm
I would have said that the Tachman would be your best bet as he repairs these things only the correct way. You can cause some permanent issues to the needle and spring part if you swap out with the new electronics. The parts on these tachs are getting obsolete.

Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 7:03pm

I have the cluster restored with new decals from AMARK all looks new! 70amxvegas thanks for the lead I will check their pricing for just the Tach repair. One of my good car friends a 70' Mustang Mach-1 owner gave me a lead today that repaired his Tach I am checking that lead also.

My ignition is stock except for the replacement parts store coil that seems to work and stay cool.

I bought a used 266 coil off of ebay recently $32 shipped it works but got somewhat hot 120f?after 10 minutes of running, input voltage was 12.5 running so I might have to think it is low on oil? The hot coil thing is what we had issues with back in the 70's.

I am leaning towards just having the Tach electronics replaced/upgraded, it runs on a fine axle wire and from what I recently learned the needles tend to fall off, very delicate stuff.

More not so good news the original 40+ year old fuel/vacuum pump is blown more gas leaking out of a casting hole in it than going in the carb, I do have a new and used? pump.
More fun repairs!

Tony

Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 7:50pm

Do yourself a favor i have been down this path went to a ford tach guy , picked it up weeks later 450 bucks had some odd ball tack movemnet in it and new needles off a pinto our something looked like crap and lasted three months , use the guy who did mine ,here are a photos of after it was done and before  u decide.he  goes thru it all uses amark decals, he has new movement and old amc movement.

Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 8:02pm

Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 8:03pm

Posted By: Extract2th
Date Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by pnypwr pnypwr wrote:

what sort of ignition are you running? some of the aftermarkets wont have the correct wavelength to run a fact tach...thus needing a tach adapter.  you said you carried ign modules my 70 amx has points.

I have the same cluster with the same issue.  It has been added to my 70 Javelin SST and doesn't work with the tach wiring harness wired as indicated earlier in this thread. I recently upgraded to the pertronix ignitor I and flamethrower coil.  I have to believe that someone with the 70 amx or Jav with the factory tach has used this upgrade.  Has it worked right out of the box with the factory tach, or was an adapter necessary?  Just want to know if I get the tach repaired to factory specs if it should work without a problem.

-------------
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Parts Cars/Future Projects:
1970 Javelin SST, 1972 Gremlin

Date Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 12:08am
those tacks also just stop working.

Posted By: whizkidder
Date Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Extract2th Extract2th wrote:

Originally posted by pnypwr pnypwr wrote:

what sort of ignition are you running? some of the
aftermarkets wont have the correct wavelength to run a fact tach...thus
needing a tach adapter.  you said you carried ign modules my 70 amx has
points.

I have the same cluster with the same issue.  It has been added to my 70 Javelin SST and doesn't work with the tach wiring harness wired as indicated earlier in this thread. I recently upgraded to the pertronix ignitor I and flamethrower coil.  I have to believe that someone with the 70 amx or Jav with the factory tach has used this upgrade.  Has it worked right out of the box with the factory tach, or was an adapter necessary?  Just want to know if I get the tach repaired to factory specs if it should work without a problem.

I have a Pertronix lll with the stock wiring to my tach, and it works fine, but indicates about 400-500 RPM low. I repainted the needle on my tach, and for about six months, the needle would stick to the peg at zero. Had to bump the dash pad with my hand to break it loose. It eventually stopped sticking, and works fine except for the calibration issue.

Posted By: bbgjc
Date Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 5:05am
http://dandmrestoration.com/
Here's another great source for gauge repairs.
I've posted his info before. 
Did all my original gauges- silk screen faces all gauges, New electronic/digital Tach movement, clock to quartz movement, ralley pack gauges and others calibrated. All lenses polished. I think the total with return shipping and $1000.00 insurance was just under $800.  Super great guy to deal with, fast turn around and for 300 bucks more than most charge for only tach repairs.

Date Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 9:30am
that is a fair deal, my cluster was a mess , head to toe $700 with new movement,  he tore it aopart painted it , and lens polished , clock $89 with a new quartz, i have no ralley pack,

Posted By: jeremy0711
Date Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 70amxvegas 70amxvegas wrote:

Do yourself a favor i have been down this path went to a ford tach guy , picked it up weeks later 450 bucks had some odd ball tack movemnet in it and new needles off a pinto our something looked like crap and lasted three months , use the guy who did mine ,here are a photos of after it was done and before  u decide.he  goes thru it all uses amark decals, he has new movement and old amc movement.

Who was this vendor so we know to stay away? I take it that your needle was broken off when it was sent to him?

Date Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 8:37pm
bikerfox
 If you are looking for a Delco-Remy 266 B-R coil try ebay, although the one I bought seemed to get warm I was not able to run the engine very long a blown fuel pump cut that short. If these are oil type coils I have been told if input voltage is correct low oil is the No1 reason they heat up? I might try carefully machining a pair of 1/8" holes in the coil bottom and see if there is oil, if there is I might try refilling the oil and reseal?  I just bought another off of ebay complete with replated mounting bracket and plug wire loom for $25 shipped, see picture.

Tony

Date Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 12:02am
this was in LA a few years ago , on Santa Monica Blvd. I am sure he is long gone

Posted By: AMXNUT70
Date Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 12:34am
this is good info, book marking this page for when its time to restore the tach on my 70

Date Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by 70amxvegas 70amxvegas wrote:

mailto:rodhhrod@comcast.net - rodhhrod@comcast.net    these guys can do a minor repair to 100 % complete including speedo tear down and adjustments , I had mine done 100% including new decals over the tack and speedo , temp and fuel adjustments very well priced about 800 but they will charge you for only what u want done and a fast turnaround.

I finally had my cluster completely redone by Rod Hatcher at the contact address listed by 70 amxvegas above and can also vouch for his professionalism and skill with my 70 speedo/tach cluster.  Mine came in at $700 with new gauge decals, speedo completely redone and reset, fuel and temp gauges calibrated to factory specs, and a replacement of the original tach mechanism with a new replacement unit that kept the stock appearance.  He also was readily available for assistance and troubleshooting and provided good detailed instructions and recommendations to ensure a good install.

-------------
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon

Posted By: AMX North
Date Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by fasttony fasttony wrote:

bikerfox
 If you are looking for a Delco-Remy 266 B-R coil try ebay, although the one I bought seemed to get warm I was not able to run the engine very long a blown fuel pump cut that short. If these are oil type coils I have been told if input voltage is correct low oil is the No1 reason they heat up? I might try carefully machining a pair of 1/8" holes in the coil bottom and see if there is oil, if there is I might try refilling the oil and reseal?  I just bought another off of ebay complete with replated mounting bracket and plug wire loom for $25 shipped, see picture.

Tony

What is the voltage going into the coil? It sounds like it is getting full 12 volts.

-------------
70 AMX/390/Auto Hialeah yellow/Shadow Mask,           Kevin Jones

Date Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 11:00pm
Extract2th,
I am glad it worked out for you. Mine has been running perfect for over a year know. They helped me on another one since,Its nice to know you can call back on help and not get the bums rush once someone has your cash. Smile

Date Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 7:51am
When I reached him for troubleshooting he was even on vacation and still took my calls!  Together we figured out my installation problem and it works great.  If that isn't customer support I don't know what is...

-------------
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon

Date Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 8:21pm
Update
 I have had my Tach reworked by APT Instruments Intl. in MN. after all the great info I received from this thread I decided I didn't want a series wiring/taut wire type Tach there is the potential for a no-run engine failure from that type of wiring and at 40 years + old they are delicate Tachs to say the least. I do know some people swear by that type of Tach my best friend has a 70' Mustang Mach 1 thats what it has, I have about 5 of them in parts and they are all not working. The cost was $280 including return shipping for a 3 wire conversion to a VDO 3 wire type Tach and it came out great they turned it in less than a week, I did already have the Amark gage overlay decal on it. AMX North I didn't see the question until today about the 12 volts to the coil I don't remember seeing email notification? If it is a 12V resistor type (BR-266) coil should there be 12 volts going to it? Note: I will not be running the original 360 or point ignition system instead I will be running another 360 with a 87' - 93' GM speed density Multi-Port Injection setup I custom built and HEI distributor (see below) however I am keeping my complete original 360 freshened up in the event some day the car needs to be put back to original so I do need that to be right. My restoration goal is to build the car the way I want it without any permanent mods not a single extra screw hole if possible.

Thanks again guys for all the info.

Tony

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net