Print Page | Close Window

Paint guys - Roller job question

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Body/Interior
Forum Description: Paint, glass, interior, rust, sheetmetal goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29043
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 2:01pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Paint guys - Roller job question
Posted By: 68JavelinSST
Subject: Paint guys - Roller job question
Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 5:58am
Purely hypothetical at this point, please don't try to dissuade me as I'm not even ready to do anything yet. Simply curious:

Most roller paint job guides advocate thinning the paint and wetsanding after each coat. The paint thinning I understand, the wetsanding I'm not sure I get. Reason being, if you're wetsanding out the orange peel anyway, couldn't you just wetsand the final coat down to a mirror finish AFTER laying down enough paint to give you enough thickness? Or is there an added benefit of wetsanding the orange peel out of EACH coat that I'm not seeing?

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: algaines
Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 6:05am
Sounds logical to me, but the use of a roller on a nice car makes me shutter, lol.

-------------
Al Gaines

Valley Cruzers

Springfield, OR

Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 7:54am
Seen some mighty fine looking roller jobs. Plus, paying $100 for your paint job and having the ability to do any future bodywork or touch ups seamlessly is a big pro.

Posted By: tyrodtom
Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:07am
  When you roll on paint you're puttinh it on much thicker than it would be if it was sprayed.
  You're sanding each coat as it's dried, and the sanding helps it dry through even better.   If you put on several coats one after another the first coats won't dry through if you load on another coat, it may never dry completely.

You can get solvent popping when you put paint on too thick or too fast even with spray painting, you're just begging for the same results when rolling on several coats.

-------------
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.

Posted By: SEdmonds
Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:07am
You could, but I think it would be more work, as you would be sanding out other imperfections that ocured (fish eyes and drops), and those will increase in size with each layer that is put over them.

Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:08am
That makes sense. I suppose it would be more work. 

Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:14am
  I've seen a lot of pictures of rolled paint jobs,  but as i've said don't ever judge a paint job by pictures.  With the right light and camera angle, any paint job ( even primer ) can look good. 

I've seen 3 rolled on paint jobs with my own eyes, all 3 looked like crap up close, or distant.

-------------

Posted By: mstrcrftr
Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:23am
if you are using a roller to paint  your car, its never going to look good.  but to each his own i guess

Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 8:58am
  Before they started using sprayguns in the 20s, all cars were painted this way, except with a brush.  It's not exactly cutting edge technology.  With the right paint, and techniques, a good job can be achieved this way.   But so far i've never seen any roller paint jobs that were even remotely acceptable.
  There's  maybe almost as many ways to screw up a roller job as a spray job, and most people think they can shortcut the learning process.

-------------

Posted By: Midnight Rambler
Date Posted: May/02/2011 at 9:25am
Check out some boat sites, there are a lot of guys who swear by the "roll and tip" method using marine paints like Awlgrip, Petit, and Interlux. 

-------------

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp

Posted By: 71redman
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 12:55am

You dont have to get rid of the fisheyes, drops and runs. Wet sand,paint over them, and you will never know they were there. A bug lands on the paint, no problem, paint over them. The only reason I can see to sand after a few coats is to keep the sanding to a minimum at the end. Start with 600, 800, 1000 and finally 1500. Your paint job with a roller will be as good as the time you put into it. The good thing, you can work on for a while, and come back to it later. Rock chips, scratches, etc., pull out the rustoleum and touch it up. A perfect match! I did paint a car with a roller a few years ago, and people were amazed at the results. If you want to save time, however, go to Harbor Frieght and get a HVLP gun. Only like $15.

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 1:34am
I have no idea why people treat AMC's this way. These are great cars, why would you treat it like junk unless it's a daily pile you drive daily. Would someone with a Camaro, Mustang, Goat, Malibu, Chevelle, Cuda, RT, or even a VW. ever talk about painting their car with a paint roller. Do it right the first time with a paint gun with good paint and you won't be driving a pile of junk. My car is a '71 Javelin SST with Diamont Extreme Rainbow paint job with 3 sets of flames and Lavender Candy 2 tone top. I went to the Mopar Nationals with several hundred Mopars there and I took paint job of the show. Why treat your ride thiis way unless you don't like AMC's. I am not trying to offend anyone, but it just pops my cork when I can win a beautiful trophy by beating the Big 3 cars a t a large event and then go to the AMC Regional Meet and they give out award like a piece of aluminum bent over with a little hot wheel car glued to it. Do you get it, if you don't care about the AMC ride you have, sell it to someone who will treat it with respect and pride, let's have some pride in our rides. Thank you for letting me rant about the AMC cars I love. Wish I could show you my care, but I can't post my pic, you can see my ride on Powerblock under Mustlecars and AMC's. 61 trophies so far and going for more in a couple weeks, it's been a long winter, whew. Thank you/

-------------
Al Gaines

Valley Cruzers

Springfield, OR

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 2:41am
Originally posted by algaines algaines wrote:

I have no idea why people treat AMC's this way. These are great cars, why would you treat it like junk unless it's a daily pile you drive daily. Would someone with a Camaro, Mustang, Goat, Malibu, Chevelle, Cuda, RT, or even a VW. ever talk about painting their car with a paint roller. Do it right the first time with a paint gun with good paint and you won't be driving a pile of junk. My car is a '71 Javelin SST with Diamont Extreme Rainbow paint job with 3 sets of flames and Lavender Candy 2 tone top. I went to the Mopar Nationals with several hundred Mopars there and I took paint job of the show. Why treat your ride thiis way unless you don't like AMC's. I am not trying to offend anyone, but it just pops my cork when I can win a beautiful trophy by beating the Big 3 cars a t a large event and then go to the AMC Regional Meet and they give out award like a piece of aluminum bent over with a little hot wheel car glued to it. Do you get it, if you don't care about the AMC ride you have, sell it to someone who will treat it with respect and pride, let's have some pride in our rides. Thank you for letting me rant about the AMC cars I love. Wish I could show you my care, but I can't post my pic, you can see my ride on Powerblock under Mustlecars and AMC's. 61 trophies so far and going for more in a couple weeks, it's been a long winter, whew. Thank you/

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Check out 69chargeryeehaa's post about him painting his '69 Charger and his 1971 and 1974 Beetles using a roller. That Charger is worth more in an unpainted state than any of our cars in a show quality state. Apparently you missed the part where I said "don't try to dissuade me", which I said in order to point out that I'm not even in the process of doing this, so it's pointless to talk me out of it. It's not happening.

Although, if you love AMCs so much, feel free to throw about 5 grand my way so I can paint my car like yours. Until that happens, let me do whatever I want with the car that I paid my own money for, even if you don't like it. Not all of us can afford your show winning paint job, and would rather have color on the car so we can at least drive it.

Posted By: billd
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:28am
Doesn't take 5 grand.
My Eagle will be painted by me, and I bet I have all of 1K into it when done, if that.
It'll be old-skool, acrylic enamel.

I saw mentioned about "before spray guns...."
Yes, TRUE - and I've seen some very nice ORIGINAL tractors and engines (like those I collect) that were hand painted and even hand pin-striped, however, we're also talking different paints, different brushes. The finish is mirror smooth on a lot of the high-end engines, and the finish looked like cow crap on the "economy" engines. Some of the tractors looked really nice.
But keep in mind, there wasn't a lot of nice smooth sheet metal, either. A lot of castings.
Some engines the cast iron was smoothed over with clay. These were craftsmen with materials that no longer exist as far as the paints.
But we're going back 100 years.......... in the 30s things had progressed well beyond brushes. (except for the pin striping, which was still brushed on, such as the hood and radiator of my F20)

On the brush jobs - I'm sure glad you mentioned about judging by photos. I can make MY cars look great in the photos I post..............

-------------

http://theamcpages.com" rel="nofollow - http://theamcpages.com

http://antique-engines.com" rel="nofollow - http://antique-engines.com

Posted By: amx39068
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:58am
Save the roller for the walls on your house. Roller overlap and amount of peel would require more sanding than its worth. Rollers are moree designed for flat sheen paints rather than deep shine paints.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Posted By: purple72Gremlin
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:21am

Buy a cheap paint gun.    rollers are for houses.   Ive seen roller paint jobs on cars,and they looked it too. and if you are going to do it yourself, it wont cost 5K either.

Posted By: Midnight Rambler
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:53am
Like I said before, I've seen some outstanding roll and tip paint jobs on boats, some much larger than autos.  I don't know much about the specifics of auto paints versus marine paints, but the guys who know how to roll and tip use gloss paints that finish with a nice mirror to them.  A lot of boat guys are as particular about their paint, waxes, and shines as the car crowd is.

http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/howto/sterling_roll_tip.php - http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/howto/sterling_roll_tip.php

Again, your mileage may vary.  It's always a choose your poison proposition.

-------------

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp

Posted By: BenM
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:58am
First time I tried one, I didn't get the paint thin enough and the orange peel was pretty bad, lots of sanding and I still didn't get rid of all of it. Of course it still looked better then the rest of the car which had some kind of faded paint that oxidized after a week no matter how I waxed it, and that was done by a "professional" body shop.

Get some sponge brushes to touch up, and don't be worried if you can still see through the first coat. Take your time and don't be worried if the first time isn't perfect, like everything you need a little practice. The finished product will still look better then rust and chalky paint.

-------------
76 Pacer

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:48am
We toyed (seriously) with the idea of painting my car ourselves.  Seriously.  I still think we could have done a decent job, BUT in hindsight, I am glad we went with a body shop. The forcing factor for us was the time of year.  Delays on the project pushed the painting into the winter months and it's just too cold here for us to keep the garage we were converting into a paint shed warm. We did work out a deal with the paint shop where we did the stripping ourselves, and most of the other prep work.  It kept the costs down considerably. It's not a hot rod paint job, but it is close, and is better than we could have done.  Another factor is I was dealing with a fussy metallic- I've heard the light metallics are among the hardest to keep even - so that played a part in our deciding to go with a pro.

When I was researching painting, I came across several articles about roller painted cars.  It can come out nice - BUT most of the write ups said the cars faded badly withina few years - I assume this was due to the paint used, as I don't see how the delivery method would do this - just an FYI.

Posted By: jeremy0711
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:54am
Hey, if someone wants a car and are on a budget then more power to them. If you save the body with a brushed, rolled, or sprayed job then you saved the body period for the next person in line. As with any of the paint styles that the prepping of the metal is the biggest concern. Getting all the supplies is not cheap to be able to sand that much paint and body. The car on Powerblock does not have a $5000 job on it and I am sure that it is worth more than that. If you placed well at Mopar Nationals then you have well into a $10,000+ job. However you lay the paint down doesn't fully determine what the finish will be like. I am a bit curious as to how much work my $500 gun saved me. I still had to sand on the car and buff it out. All the while the 1300 compressor, 200 wiring job, the 100 in lines for the garage, and the dual industrial water traps and regulators on each end, dual hose reels, additional loose air line as you don't want to drag and stir up dirt, enclosing up the space to minimize the overspray as my garage is a wreck now compared to what it was when I moved in, all the sandpaper and blocks. Let's see a tape, brush, roller, tray, closed garage with wet floor, a lot of time, sandpaper, blocks, and water. Not to mention buffing compound and the buffer.      

Posted By: underdog
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 11:48am
Now I know what I about to say from eyes on and old school poor boys painting in the 60's.
My grade school pal had a old body shop Dad. He had a award winning Jeepster of those days. It was solid red. He primered and painted that Jeepster with one of those hand pump bug sprayers. If no one has seen one, They are a long tube that contains the push pump and a can reservor under the front. The car 25 years later still looked good. You can not spray flake colors this way and for sure not roll it on. The reason to do a car besides the correct way is funds. If this is the issue, Then spray it with any method and rolling would be a very last choice. Remember you will get roller fiber mixed in with the paint and air pocket bubbles. Consider useing a Sears electric paint gun then. This method will do more harm to the value of the car. If I looked at a car rollered or brush painted, I would not be interested or offer much less to back stroke to get to scratch. Can't you find a Ugo to paint with a roller? I bet folks would line up to help you then.
AMC Fan........

-------------
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

1970 Ford Torino King Cobra(protot

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 12:31pm
Thank you people, roller sounds like it's cheap, dirty , and quick; BUT you could save money and time and effort by going down to a friends house and borrowing an air compressor and paint gun. Even painting it outside in the sun with a few bugs in the paint would be better than a roller. Paint for cars has just doubled in cost, you need to sand down the car and at least prime the areas that have exposed metal, spray it and it will be a whole lot less sanding with less work and sandpaper than roller. We aren't hillbillies, I would help you if you lived here just to help, yes my paint job would cost over $12K but I did it and it took over a year to get it done from stripping it down to pulling all the metal after removing the bondo, primering it about 12 times and re-sanding, putting on a guide coat and resanding to make sure it was flat and then painted a black basecoat. Diamont Extreme Rainbow paint is $570 a pint, ouchy, but I spent less than $5K but still I got what I wanted. Paint jobs in garages, in the driveway, I've done them all, but rollers are insane unless you want to be the laughing stock in the neighborhood. You can get the right tool and do it right or waste all of the expensive painting materials with the wrong tool. Please do it with the best that you have and not the worse. Lord Bless your decision and your efforts.

-------------
Al Gaines

Valley Cruzers

Springfield, OR

Posted By: 69 ambassador 390
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 12:54pm
I have done many roll and tip jobs on boats with excellent results.  The trouble is that the proper brushes and rollers to do it correctly are more expensive than a good mid-grade paint gun.  The correct marine grade paints cost as much or more than auto paints and lastly it takes two people and much more time than a spray job.  The plus side is absolutely no overspray or waste.  The prep is just as important and the conditions and mixes have to be just as correct.  The paint will also take much longer to dry.  A good roll and tip job is really not a quick thing.  Good results tke time no matter how you do it.  Don't be lazy and have patience.

-------------
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Posted By: 70 Donohue 390
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 1:18pm
I may try a roller job some day. Check out this blog (not mine) from 5 years ago:

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture10.jpg - http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/IM000475.jpg - http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/IM000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg - http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg - http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture1.jpg - http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02764.jpg - http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg - http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.

-------------
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 1:27pm
How about this one http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1297476215 - http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1297476215
I know there is more just cant find it at this time.
Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Posted By: jeremy0711
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 2:02pm
If someone were to use a quality paint and rolled it and buffed it out and not told you then you most likely would not know the difference if it was done right.   

Posted By: mstrcrftr
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 2:12pm
being done and being done RIGHT are two totally separate things.  usually the first thing i notice about a car is the poor paint work.. the second look i take at it i will see all of the poor body work.

a lot of times what my friends do is totally prep the car, buy the paint and materials then get someone to spray it.  most independent body shops will do this for you very cheap as a way to make quick cash..  but just remember that they are only spraying it.. not warrantying it.

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by jeremy0711 jeremy0711 wrote:

If someone were to use a quality paint and rolled it and buffed it out and not told you then you most likely would not know the difference if it was done right.   
Wrong, I have been painting everything for over 40 years, It is expensive to buy a gallon of paint today. At least $100.00 and not counting thinner hardner or anything else that is required to bring the car up to the paint part. If you go the roller route, Your wasting good money. If you plan on sneaking by without automotive paint, Shame on you. I believe I gave you direction in the correct hood pin placement for a 1971 TA Javelin, Why go to this trouble and then barn paint this car? AMC are hard enough to find let alone a 1971 Javelin or Javelin/AMX. Please consider letting someone else purchase the car to restore correctly. I wish I could retract my earlier posts but this Forum does not allow me that luxury. I can't help someone about to use a roller on one of these cars.
Last resort MACCO $299.00
AMC Fan..... 

-------------
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 2:43pm

There are several write ups on the web about people who roller painted their cars and had great results.  My question, if I was going to do this, would be what percentage of all roller painted cars turned out that well?  I have no idea, really - maybe it's just as high - or higher - than successful spray paint jobs.  I just know that MOST people aren't going to put out a blog talking about how rotten their project turned out.

Posted By: ramairthree
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:00pm
I will speak from experience.

If you are years away for getting the body work and paint done right,
but want to test out a look and prevent further surface rust on a car that sat for twenty years and was heading to be parted out or scrapped or sit and rot-
go for the roller method.

I did.

I started off just hitting the car in rust preventive primer.  I was going to keep it that way and go to original color.  But I changed my mind.

It looks horrible up close.  I did minimal prep to boot.

Some have said they got awesome results this way and I have seen one car that looks as good as modern factory paint done this way.

The pros were you could do a part at a time, very cheap, virtually no mess, you can go back and spot catch up on body work, etc.
The cons are it takes forever
And in my case, the quality of the results.
I would not do it again, but am happy with it for now.

But at the end of the day, I have a car I can drive around like crazy and has a look I want, and the deterioration has been halted. 

my goal was a budget quickie job on a car that lives outside and I will drive in any weather.

I have an AMC on the road that draws a lot of attention and interest in AMC and it's history.

It also has duct tape on seat tears, a piece of black vinyl spay adhesived to the roof to replace the missing headliner, black spray dye on the faded carpet, incorrect screws replacing rusted out ones, testor model paint restored emblems, flaking and pitted chrome, various dings, etc. ...

you get the point.

it was an SST 2bbl BW automatic with single exhaust and a peg leg.
quality body work and paint would cost more than the car will sell for in my life time.
I would rather keep pecking away at mechanical reliablity and function.

-------------
1971 Javelin SST 360
"If you are crazy enough to drive a 71 you might as well keep the BW tranny."

Posted By: ramairthree
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by SEdmonds SEdmonds wrote:

There are several write ups on the web about people who roller painted their cars and had great results.  My question, if I was going to do this, would be what percentage of all roller painted cars turned out that well?  I have no idea, really - maybe it's just as high - or higher - than successful spray paint jobs.  I just know that MOST people aren't going to put out a blog talking about how rotten their project turned out.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/crazy-paint-scheme_topic25957_page1.html?KW=roller - http://theamcforum.com/forum/crazy-paint-scheme_topic25957_page1.html?KW=roller

there should be some honest pics and close ups in the thread.

-------------
1971 Javelin SST 360
"If you are crazy enough to drive a 71 you might as well keep the BW tranny."

Posted By: poormansMACHINE
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:29pm
Judging a paint job by a pic might as well have this guy paint it too.

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by ramairthree ramairthree wrote:

Originally posted by SEdmonds SEdmonds wrote:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/crazy-paint-scheme_topic25957_page1.html?KW=roller - http://theamcforum.com/forum/crazy-paint-scheme_topic25957_page1.html?KW=roller

there should be some honest pics and close ups in the thread.

Love the Ray Charles photo. RA3, I don't think this the Home Depot crowd here. I think (think) being the key word, This Forum is out to save these cars best we or they can. Really if you can't do the correctly and you can protect the required areas needing attention till later, Drive it like it is and Please do not think about roller painting any car. Do so trading and help someone out to get a favor to the one that can at least spray the car. I have painted many a car in a driveway and barn and garage exposed to the weather. Never ever rolled one and glad I did not. I would rather deal with a run in the paint than a roller job. My personal opinion and nothing more.
Steve

-------------
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

Posted By: PlazinJavelin
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 7:26pm
I'm gonna be in the minority here I think.....

I've not done a car, but I've done roller on a couple of small boats and even wooden furniture. *IF you use the right paint/mix, use high quality/lint free rollers, do the work to make every coat awesome, use serveral coats, and really buff shine the last coat, it can look great. BUT.... all that extra work is a lot harder and far more time consuming. Seriously weigh your cost in time,  energy and patients in comparison to they relative ease of a decent spary. Good luck either way.

-------------
PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:26pm
I'm going to do a roller paintjob just to make a couple posters in this thread lose an hour of sleep. 

Posted By: 70 Donohue 390
Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:40pm
Its YOUR car, do it the way YOU want. And please post pics when completed. 

-------------
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

Its YOUR car, do it the way YOU want. And please post pics when completed. 

Absolutely.

Date Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:30pm
Well now that is out of the way... What's for lunch?

-------------
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 9:52am
Three or four years ago, one of the magazines did a Falcon using the roller method. They use Rust-O-Leum which was a great selection since thier canvas white enamel is an exact match for the Ford Wimbeldon/Coronbthian white. (My '63 Falcon was that color and I touched it up with the Rust-O-Leum and you couldn't tell where I had touched it up). The final cost was just over $100.00 and it came out OK. If I recall correctly, they did six or seven coats. I wouldn't recommend it for a show car but a knock around beater, why not?

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Posted By: Peter Marano
Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by underdog underdog wrote:

Infusino's? I like the gnocchi, but they have a nice ham sandwich on a pretzel roll (I order Swiss cheese).

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by 68JavelinSST 68JavelinSST wrote:

I'm going to do a roller paintjob just to make a couple posters in this thread lose an hour of sleep. 
I believe your name is Dan, Your a High School student if I read your profile right. On the internet and any Forum, We do not have the luxury of seeing who we are talking to. Your original question was asking "paint guys" about paint for cars "roller" being the subject. As stated myself has over 40 years in painting and Bloomington gold corvettes to many fine automobiles and boats.  In my observation of this and replying and now knowing you were a very young person (guessing 16?) You always had it you were going to roller that car. You have had good advice from many and much older and experenced in this field. No question about that. Why would you run everyone through the steps when you at this age knew you were going to roll your car. I would not allow my son to do this. This is the disadvantage of the internet.

-------------
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

Infusino's? I like the gnocchi, but they have a nice ham sandwich on a pretzel roll (I order Swiss cheese).
Gnocchi sounds good but I know that I could toss down a trough of sauseeege and peppers.
Were you talking lunch or dinner?

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

Gnocchi sounds good but I know that I could toss down a trough of sauseeege and peppers.
Were you talking lunch or dinner?
Funny you say sauseeege and peppers as that is what I am making tonight for dinner.
When he said Lunch I think it was for dinner if you look at the posted time.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 4:39pm
Yes, I am Dan and I graduated HS in 2010. I haven't had it in my mind that I'm going to do a roller job. In fact, I probably won't paint at all for quite some time. Which is, of course, the reason I posted THIS before I even asked my question:

"Purely hypothetical at this point, please don't try to dissuade me as I'm not even ready to do anything yet. Simply curious"

So, all of the older and more experienced members you speak of must not have any reading comprehension if you or anyone else thought my question was "should I roll my car", when it was really more like "hey, I'm curious about the nature of paint for this reason".

Addressing "paint guys" should have been the queue for people who know about PAINT to chime in and answer the question for me, NOT the queue for people who spent 2-5 thousand paying someone ELSE who knows about paint to paint their car.

I appreciate the serious answers that I did get, even though 4 pages of this thread is full of argumentative nonsense that I specifically stated I wanted to avoid.

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 4:58pm

Quote I appreciate the serious answers that I did get, even though 4 pages of this thread is full of argumentative nonsense that I specifically stated I wanted to avoid.

You should know better by now. LOL

-------------
PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Quote I appreciate the serious answers that I did get, even though 4 pages of this thread is full of argumentative nonsense that I specifically stated I wanted to avoid.

You should know better by now. LOL

I know, I know. Been awhile since I posted. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Dave ----

Maybe he was already there for lunch and decided to hang for dinner.LOL

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by 68JavelinSST 68JavelinSST wrote:

Addressing "paint guys" should have been the queue for people who know about PAINT to chime in and answer the question for me, NOT the queue for people who spent 2-5 thousand paying someone ELSE who knows about paint to paint their car.

Wasn't me. My son painted my Ambassador when he was 16 and I know for a fact that I didn't give him a couple grand.LOL

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:32pm
Here's what red flagged me. The comment after all was posting that you were going to roll it anyway and hoped some lost sleep. Checking your profile as to why, I learned your very young. My parents taught me to respect folks older. Your life is just starting and for someone to share what they have lived a know is a gift not a requirement. The Phrasing of verbiage and the terminology is a curve ball on your part. I would rather have read, I am 17 years old and looking for some guildence about my car if someone can help. Now this is my take on this only. This is not Facebook or some chatting twitter. I believe fans come to share and learn from others. And even today, I will respect and feel honored if a older person takes thier time to help me with a question. Not.. Well I am doing it my way anyway so you loose sleep.
Steve

-------------
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

[QUOTE=FuzzFace2]
Dave ----

Maybe he was already there for lunch and decided to hang for dinner.LOL
[/QUOTE]I have to address this one. Being from Flordia, We call it Breakfast, Lunch and dinner. It was late when posting and I had not had lunch yet, And I drank dinner.
Steve 

-------------
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 6:01pm

Ya know guys I have to back up a step and say I did in fact roller a vehicle. Well part of one any way.  

Mom's 1994 dark green Voyager van had such a bad case of sun-burned peeling paint on the roof that I decided to do something about it last year on my visit to Floridq. I only had a few hours and no serious tools, so I sanded the roof pretty much down to metal (some primer left), bought a gallon of white rustolem and a couple of lint free rollers, taped it off at the drip rails, windshields (front and back) and layed down two coats.  Turned out nice. At least 50 times better than what was left of the peeling old paint anyway. I didn't bother with any pictures at the time, but the neighbors were impressed. I'm visiting again next week. Maybe I'll post a pic from FLA if I get a chance.

Hey Underdog, not sure but I think mom's neighbor in FLA might have your old dune buggy. 'Cause it looks almost exactly like this one. That model very common? Don't see many on the net any way.

http://www.lightner.net/manxclub/bugmon49.html - http://www.lightner.net/manxclub/bugmon49.html

-------------
PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

Date Posted: May/04/2011 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Ya know guys I have to back up a step and say I did in fact roller a vehicle. Well part of one any way.  

Mom's 1994 dark green Voyager van had such a bad case of sun-burned peeling paint on the roof that I decided to do something about it last year on my visit to Floridq. I only had a few hours and no serious tools, so I sanded the roof pretty much down to metal (some primer left), bought a gallon of white rustolem and a couple of lint free rollers, taped it off at the drip rails, windshields (front and back) and layed down two coats.  Turned out nice. At least 50 times better than what was left of the peeling old paint anyway. I didn't bother with any pictures at the time, but the neighbors were impressed. I'm visiting again next week. Maybe I'll post a pic from FLA if I get a chance.

Hey Underdog, not sure but I think mom's neighbor in FLA might have your old dune buggy. 'Cause it looks almost exactly like this one. That model very common? Don't see many on the net any way.

http://www.lightner.net/manxclub/bugmon49.html - http://www.lightner.net/manxclub/bugmon49.html

Yes we want pictures of the roller job Wink
That is a common dune buggy body I had a yellow one back late 70's early 80's. Took it to Cape Cod, MA one summer on the dunes and off road thru the woods jumping it here in CT. Did not handle too good in the rain, too light up front LOL but was a lot of fun. I also had a top but first road test it blew off so it never went back on.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net