Forum Description: Your latest numbers, events you attended and more
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20972
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 12:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lets Go Nostalgia Pro Stock Racing
Posted By: Aljav
Subject: Lets Go Nostalgia Pro Stock Racing
Date Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 12:12pm
I have looking and waiting for this to start for a while and It looks finally there is a program starting.

http://www.jeffjohnsonmotorsports.com/drag_racing.php

My friend Mark that I have been racing with for about 20 years and now we are planning to make the changes necessary to compete with his car. His car is a 79 Concord hatchback. And Yes Wally Booth did have a 79 Concord hatchback he raced!!

While we aren't an original the class doesn't say we have to be but we hope we are accepted equally as the whole purpose is to show what that class was like. We have had contact with the orgaintion and as of right now all looks good!!! We are excited to do this.

We have talked to several people and Have gotten some very positive feed back on the Idea. We will NEVER have people believe its any of the Hornets ( besides its a Concord!!  lol) that ran In Prostock, but more of a tribute. We know who has Wally's Car ( we talk to them a lot) and we would never try to make people think we do!!

Marks Concord was Built in 1980 was pretty much just like the prostocks of its time (full Tube chasiss) but has been updated several times thru the years. So its legal all the way around and its safe and god forbid some thing would happen its not an orginal prostocker!!!

Any thought s on this idea?  Any one else wanna join the ranks? 

One thing we don't have right now is a Tunnel ram. We will probably have one built over the winter but could use one now.. Any cheap ones for sale or anyone wanna borrow us one???

Of the hundreds of Pics I have I don't have any pics of his car right now but I need to take some and get them posted soon and keep everyone updated of the progress!!!

Allan

-------------
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106

Replies:
Posted By: mramc
Date Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 4:40pm
Well, it's about time! I've been wondering when some one was going to get serious about doing this with the old Pro Stock cars. It is long over due. The old Super Stock cars have gotten so big at this kind of thing. That Nostalgia Pro Stock seems like a no brainer. My bet is this goes over big.

Main problem is modern NHRA drag racing has gotten boring! The big Pro races are lucky to fill out a 16 car field in Top Full and Funny Car and Pro Stock these days looks like a bunch of cookie cutter Jelly beans and are mostly door slammer funny cars. The only thing I found mildly interesting was IHRA Pro Mods with some of the older body style,but here again they mostly door slammer funny cars , but at least they were interesting to look at and watch. And I'm sorry I can't quite rap my mind around Toyota sponsoring Top Fuel and Funny cars, or any other drag racing cars for that matter.

Mark, better be figuring on winning the lotto , because under the proposed rules  Mark will needs to either get an exception or convert his 80 style Concord to a 78 Hornet. yes, not that difficult but still money , not to mention traveling to the various events. The events they are planning for the first year are all East coast / Mid-West type venues. None planned out here on the left coast. Which is too bad , I'd love to go and I've been thinking about going to a Good Guys event out here just for the heck of it.

LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Posted By: ROGUE66
Date Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 4:52pm
Very cool, cant wait to see some pics and to see how the racing goes.  I am good freinds with the son and dad that own the two wally cars, good people.

Posted By: Rebel Machine
Date Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by ROGUE66 ROGUE66 wrote:

Very cool, cant wait to see some pics and to see how the racing goes.  I am
good freinds with the son and dad that own the two wally cars, good people.

I'll second that. In 2009 at the Musclecar Reunion event at Gateway they let me sit in those historic racecars and e-mailed pics of it to me!

-Steve-

Date Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:05am
Mark, better be figuring on winning the lotto , because under the proposed rules  Mark will needs to either get an exception or convert his 80 style Concord to a 78 Hornet. yes, not that difficult but still money , not to mention traveling to the various events. The events they are planning for the first year are all East coast / Mid-West type venues. None planned out here on the left coast. Which is too bad , I'd love to go and I've been thinking about going to a Good Guys event out here just for the heck of it.

LRDaum
[/QUOTE]

Larry that is the great part.. we don't have to convert, so far the response we have gotten is the car is OK!! 79 Concord  lol !!!

We won't be doing them all But we are going to see how it all goes and may be 1 or 2 this year!!!

A race got rained out tonight, so I ended up by the Concord. I got some pics of the car tonight, we removed all the decals. Slowly moving toward the 'Look"

Oh yea, good news on an Intake. other than a few eyes open for a used one, we have someone who will fab us intake for us, but need dimension!  any help on that???

Allan

-------------

Posted By: tsanchez
Date Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:27am
I might be willing to help out with the intake. I will never sell it but might consider letting you copy it.

-------------
http://s192.photobucket.com/user/antonsan/media/jav1_zps87a70dce.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by ROGUE66 ROGUE66 wrote:

Very cool, cant wait to see some pics and to see how the racing goes.  I am good freinds with the son and dad that own the two wally cars, good people.

We agree with you.. and Mark had a talk with them and they think the idea is great and has offered help, so we are l0oking forward to working with them.

I love what they did with the cars and so happy to see them take the cars out and show them as much as  they do. Every time I see the cars I have to stop and look them more and more!!

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

I might be willing to help out with the intake. I will never sell it but might consider letting you copy it.

If we have some good dimension of a intake we can get one done right away. I would suspect it be a little difficult to "copy" a cast one but any suggestion would be cool.Thumbs Up

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 9:25pm
Time to post those pics
As the evening began

All decals removed

Fuel Pump waiting for gas tank

Inside Tin

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 10:48pm
Car is looking great.

Posted By: 67RogueX-Code
Date Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 10:56pm
The AMC-emblem beaded into the panel between the trunk and passenger-compartment...

NICE TOUCH! Clap

-------------
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code

Posted By: nightmistwalker
Date Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 11:39pm
very nice!!

-------------
trying to build a pro touring 1971 Hornet

Date Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 9:49am
Thanks... He takes a lot of pride in the car and we hate when people go..Its just a race car!!  LOL

We are working on getting a old school snorkel Hood scoop and put it on the fiberglass hood. That will start the transformation of it into a Nostalgia Pro-stock. Right now we have to get the roof fixed too as the roof drip rails were cut off and it needs to be be filled and smoothed.

We wish we could get it painted R/W/B right away but the time and cost we be to much.
If we wait on the paint we probably can get some help and keep the cost down. We would rather have the money spent on getting it running than stuff like paint right now.

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 9:50am
Cool!!

-------------
http://s192.photobucket.com/user/antonsan/media/jav1_zps87a70dce.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: amcrules00
Date Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 9:08pm
Looks like a fun project Allan, I can't wait to see this one terrorizing it competition. Love the beaded AMC detail in the tin work...that's definitely HOT. Clap

Posted By: nightmistwalker
Date Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 10:08pm
shirley muldohny raced a pair of 71 hornets for a very short time and i have only see one black and white photo of them ,,does anyone know any history on them or where they went? has any one seen any color photos of them?

-------------
trying to build a pro touring 1971 Hornet

Date Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 7:47pm
A quick Pic of the front end. The scoop is going to go and be replaced with that old school scoop but you get the idea Wink

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by nightmistwalker nightmistwalker wrote:

shirley muldohny raced a pair of 71 hornets for a very short time and i have only see one black and white photo of them ,,does anyone know any history on them or where they went? has any one seen any color photos of them?

I know Shirley Shanon had one. It is still around but unsure who has it.

Allan

-------------

Posted By: Ramblin on
Date Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Aljav Aljav wrote:

Thanks... He takes a lot of pride in the car and we hate when people go..Its just a race car!!  LOL

We are working on getting a old school snorkel Hood scoop and put it on the fiberglass hood. That will start the transformation of it into a Nostalgia Pro-stock. Right now we have to get the roof fixed too as the roof drip rails were cut off and it needs to be be filled and smoothed.

We wish we could get it painted R/W/B right away but the time and cost we be to much.
If we wait on the paint we probably can get some help and keep the cost down. We would rather have the money spent on getting it running than stuff like paint right now.

Allan

Glad to see your doing this!    Along with the scoop and paint will you eventually get some Cragar super tricks?     Good luck and keep up the good work!

Date Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 10:38am

[/QUOTE]

Glad to see your doing this!    Along with the scoop and paint will you eventually get some Cragar super tricks?     Good luck and keep up the good work!
[/QUOTE]

As of right now we will stay with what we got. but we have looked into what they used. Maskin and Kanners used a  very unique rim for some time and even some polished rims (probably Cragar). But we will see. Not everything will be period correct but we diffentely are leaving option open!!
Rim Picture is food for thought!!

We will have the paint like Wally's Concord not his Hornet.

Allan

-------------

Posted By: Ramblin on
Date Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 12:37pm
Ah YES!    Motor Wheel Flys!   Those would look cool !   There out there but not cheap.

Date Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 2:31am
Shirley Shahan had both a Gremlin and and a notch back Hornet , that I believe were both 1970 models. They were raced with limited success and then the Pro Stock program went to Wally Booth and Kanner's . I think there an article out of car craft I believe with an article on Shirley's original AMC Pro Stock cars. I don't know who has the Gremlin but at one time circa 2002 or So Lou Dowling had the Hornet. Not sure if he has still or not as he retired and moved to some where in Arizona. Both Lou Dowling and Shirley were at the Cactus Cruiser spring AMO meet in Phoenix, AZ this spring and I did talk to them , but this subject did not come up. We are hoping to get Shirley and possibly Lou to the SNAMC club regional meet in November and i may be able to ask them about this then. LRDaum

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 10:08pm
Time for some updates. I have been very busy working on The Pro Stock and My AMX. Work the the Concord one day, Raced mine the next, worked on my trailer the next day and then back to the Concord.. and now back home to get caught up on things at home, and back to work tomorrow.

Well we have been very busy for the last week and more. Some good news and some .. well... in need of work. We are trying to make it to our first race in Norwalk Ohio. Summit Motorsports Park

http://www.summitmotorsportspark.com/ - 9th Blue Suede Cruise

Friday August 20, 8am-5pm
Saturday August 21, 8am-5pm
Sunday August 22, 8am-3pm
Its really hard to say as of today If we are going to make it, but we sure are trying. Right now its like  cramming for Exam. every minute we have free we are working on or thinking of whats next.

Good new is the new motor fired up on the first try. Bad news is a small oil leak ( possible crank scrapper), but we are working on that, and hopefully we can get it taken care of real soon. 

Working on getting that old school , snorkel hood scoop. First one we ordered they said there is a problem with the mold, not good for us, We also just got one free one..used kinda short , not sure if its going to work. And getting another one shipped to us this week, hopefully its the the best one!!

The fuel cell developed a leak, which was fixed but the New Team fabricator built us a new aluminum Fuel cell. An awesome piece of work.. In time you will hear more about him!!

Working on getting in a new dash, little project in itself. Also we got a new seat as it requires that it has two seats, so that part is almost done.

No tunnel ram yet, but Its best that the testing is done first with this and as soon as we get it all running and the Tunnel ram is done we will bolt that on and be ready to go!!

New headers are awesome looking

Allan

-------------

Posted By: Hurst390
Date Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 10:36am
Cool Al looks like this NPS thing may motivate me to get my gremlin going finally.I hope this continues to grow..

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 11:43pm
We are very Curious where this NPS is going to go too.. We are hoping it grows like the all the other nostalgia groups have. We have a lot to grow to.

As for the Gremlin..Get going on it!!!.. Think how cool it would be to have TWO AMCs running NPS. If your going to the AMC NAts we will have to Chat about it!!

As for Updates . Well its been very hectic this last couple of weeks. This weekend I finally got a new dash and worked late on Saturday to get it in. Its looking pretty good, it will need a few refinements, but I figure that will have to wait till Winter to make it perfect. Its  a lot of work to get it to fit around a roll cage and look nice after you do a lot of cutting to make it fit and then you lose a lot of strength of the original dash cause so much is removed in parts and the cutting to make it fit.

The Car had to go to the body Shop for a few touch ups. The snorkle hood scoop is being worked on right now, elsewhere. We doubt it will be painted but flat black is good for us... for now.
Alignment of the front end on Wednesday and then we all head off to the AMO show In Michigan. Then hopefully we get to make one night next week for a quick trip to the track to test. If not, all testing will have to wait till Norwalk!!

Its been crazy and hetic. I live a hour and a half away from Mark and we are constantly calling or emailing back and forth, but we are making every atempt to make it to Norwalk.

Hope to we make it to Norwalk and maybe meet a few AMCers!!

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 12:57am
Fitting new dash.Wow lots of work with roll cage in the way and trying to make it as nice as can be

painting dash pieces

Installed

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 1:07am
New Decals on the car.
There is no way we are going to Norwalk this week at a Good Guys show without the decal on the car, Hopefully the car runs as good as the decal looks like!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 9:57am
Very cool it will be nice to Mark out with the car again. The dash is coming along great.

Date Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 10:02am
Here was the Big Purchase of the weekend!

While we are still looking at having a Sheet metal tunnel ram built, we need something to get the car going closer to what the Organization wants. 

Took a while for the negotiations on price, as we look at value of use not value of collectors. But in the end the price was fair and the Tunnel ram is a un-abused  unit. The problem with the manilifold is that it is very dusty.. and I think we can deal with that.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 10:07am
Here was the best part of the Weekend at Michigans AMO Natioanl Meet.. Meeting WALLY BOOTH!!
What a great Guy and filled with loads of Information. I could sit with him for hours and not only am I a AMC engine nut , but I love history and Wally is filled with both!!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/20/2010 at 6:03pm
Racing update!!!  We are at the Norwalk raceway Good guys show this weekend!!!! After some last minute mad thrashing, picking up crew member ( my two nephews and another of our friends) and late night driving and next to nothing for sleep we arrived in Norwalk at 5 this morning with everyone looking for space to get a little sleep from the car trailer to the dually!!

We had numerous issues but nothing insurmountably, While we missed the found round of testing we made the second round and proceeded to run a 9.7 against another "first day of running on a new motor and a list of other improvements" Big Ol Dodge Apsen With a Hemi. Well we bet him to the finish line with the Hemi only running a 9.90!!

With an awesome across the line burnout  the 9.7 was a great way to start the weekend!!

I'll try to post picks tomorrow!!

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/20/2010 at 6:20pm
That is awsome, all the late nights and no sleep its all worth it.  

Date Posted: Aug/21/2010 at 12:16am
Glad to hear it! It's great to outrun a hemi!..Smile

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Aug/21/2010 at 8:29pm
RAIN DAY!!!  Never got a chance to run due to the rain rain!!!. We had a fuel pump issue and got that solved before our call to run. The Nitro cars began to run, but the rain came and boy did it!!!
Staged In Line Next to The Lee Shepard Tribute Car

Water running under my feet in the Pits!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/21/2010 at 8:44pm
Friday's Run

In The Pits

Bad Pic.. BUT LOOK AT THE SMOKE OF THE ACROSS THE STARTING LINE BURN OUT!!!!
This will keep the people talking about the AMC Pro Stock!!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/21/2010 at 8:50pm
Hands down the baddest Concord I've ever seen. Nice shots buddy, somebody's got a good eye.Thumbs Up

Posted By: Zioamc
Date Posted: Aug/21/2010 at 9:14pm
way to go Guys car looks great

Date Posted: Aug/21/2010 at 11:20pm
Thanks a lot.. we do appreciate it. We had a whole lot of people coming over and talking to us, which was a lot of fun. Being it was a Good Guys show and although there were a few AMC cars there we didn't know how a AMC would be received. From the fans to other racers we had a awesome reception! The rest of the ProStockers were awesome and loved the fact we had something very unique. The organization is so new everyone wants to have fun and we are real happy to be racing with them.

I always like to get pictures of any AMC ProStocker I can. I was giving a lot of pics from a Michigan AMCer  AMO Nationals of Wally Booth cars. The concord pics look so cool!! I just had to share!!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/22/2010 at 5:25am
Though I love your car Aljav, I now stand corrected...the Booth car is the baddest Concord I've ever seen. LOL Thanks for sharing buddy.

Date Posted: Aug/23/2010 at 11:51pm
WIN WIN WIN!!!
In the Winners Circle at the Blue Suede Cruise Good Guys Meet Norwalk OHIO Sunday 23rd
Greg, Allan, Mark, Good Guys Official. John, Andrew

Well, after lots of hard work, spending money, countless little problems, late lights working, little to no sleep, long drives it all paid off!!!

While this new organization is still mainly exhibition passes, the fastest two cars faced off in the finals! And we were at a huge disadvantage, the other car is a tribute car to the late Lee Shepard of Reher-Morrison, a 1980 Camaro, A beautiful and fast car!. We managed a 9.69 on only our 3rd pass with the new motor but still managed to just barely be faster than all the other cars but one.

While were at a distinct disadvantage we had two things going for us. First, as we are all used to being the underdog and we certainly was this weekend, no one expected a AMC to come in with such commitment from our group, and trust me our team did everything needed to make this to work, and Mark the owner and driver is one tough cookie to beat at the lights. Mark always laughs at people who blame the car, it the driver and he proves he can drive every time he gets behind the wheel. Mark proceeded to drill the other driver at the lights big time and kept the Concord out in front the whole way!!  It was the talk of the track the rest of the day. The announcers kept talking about even after we were back in our pits!!! One of our crew went to the bathroom and  heard guys talking about the AMC winning!! It was great time we couldn't be happier!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/25/2010 at 9:16am
That is awsome.

Date Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 12:32pm
Are you guys going to be running union grove nps again this labor day?

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Are you guys going to be running union grove nps again this labor day?

Good Question , I just talked to Mark and we will be at Great Lakes Dragaway Saturday and Sunday Labor Day Weekend. Hope to see AMCers there!!!

More Dates will follow as we get them planned out!!!

Allan

-------------

Posted By: whitelumpy401
Date Posted: Aug/28/2010 at 4:16pm
I thought that car was going to be fast

-------------
whitelumpy401

Date Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by whitelumpy401 whitelumpy401 wrote:

I thought that car was going to be fast
What do you mean? What is fast for you?

Date Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 7:05pm
hurst390 dragracingspirit adkins allen erbs are fast

-------------
whitelumpy401

Date Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 7:12pm

Interesting...which one are you? Shocked

Date Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 1:45am
Speed cost money..How fast you wanna go? !!!

First I don't recall ever saying we were fast. Fast is relative to what you want to think is fast. I know we are not as fast as we wanna be, that's a work in progress. But I am happy that on a fresh motor we ran 9.78 out of the box and manage a 9.69 without doing anything.

A few thing to talk about first ..With only 4 passes on the motor we have a few more to go probably before the rings are fully seated. . Our new vacuum pump is working very hard and the pump is a learning curve for us.

Gezz I don't even have the timing set real well, I need to get readable timing marks on the balancer. I can tell you the timing is "SORTA THERE"...LOLApprove

Next.. Its going to be some time before we get the chassis sorted out. The front struts are all new, the rear Konis are off the car and for sale, as they are hard to adjust on this car and were replaced with QA1 double adjustable, nice and easy to adjust!! Now I just need to find and read the instruction...LOL Confused. Plus some issues that we were having with the rear suspension were addressed at the Chassis shop and were corrected...  So while the car went nice and straight and with some tire spin. I have a lot of work ahead of me. Mark was working on getting some stuff I want for the front suspension, so I have it for the weekend.

We are racing this coming weekend at Great lakes Dragaway, and I always say " if you can make a Car Hook at Great Lakes you can Hook anywhere!!" So its time to work on that.

Also, In the last few years we did some stuff to remove weight but, with the chassis having to be updated we found out the other day that the new updates ADDED weight. Mark was looking to lose weight on the car, I would have been happy breaking even, but the worse thing happened is we gained weight!  That suck and we need to work on that this winter. Its going to be tuff to get it to where we want it.

Last is.. WOW without getting into what Mark spent on getting this going in the last six months, all I can tell you is you would have been able to buy a really nice used car or even better a really nice street AMC!!!. While we got entrance paid for us by "Good Guys" for showing up it was still wallet breaking to go for the weekend !!!

But are we complaining?.. Heck No!!!  We are so excited right now to be going out this weekend again!

The Organization is new, every body is having fun, we all know changes are coming and I am sure we will be adressing things" like how fast is fast". But I can tell you is this looks like a great new Organization and a type of racing that should be very exciting to see. Will it be the fastest.. No. Why? Cost kills racing!!! Just ask the guys who racing organizations are dissapearing due to money!!!

Besides According to DragList the pro-stocks up untill 1982 ( when 500 became the rule) The Fastest was Powered by a 343 cubic inch Ford by Bob Glidden with 4 speed manual transmission 1/4 Mile ET: 8.235 at Green Valley Race City WWCS 4/81 (NR) | 1/4 Mile MPH: 161.87 at Indy Nationals 81

If you want faster they are out there, even with AMC powered, like that Brians Ambrosini's Orange Gremlin.
I hope everyone gets the chance to see the National Nostalgia Prostockers run. And we don't use Nitrous!!!Tisk

Speed cost money.... how fast you wanna go..Thumbs Up

Allan 

-------------

Posted By: Glenn Quinn
Date Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 5:15am

Allan,

Congratulations on getting the car done and the win. Yes, speed takes money and no matter how fast you go it’s not enoughWink

-------------
The "X", 8.74 @ 162 - N/A

Date Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 4:24pm

I appreciate the honerable mention but last time I checked any 9 sec. AMC is fast!?
I can't believe you would be that rude lumpy?

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 4:31pm
Fast enough and can do it for a long time, going faster usually just means more maintenance and parts checking/replacing. NO thanks go out and have fun

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 9:29pm

did not mean to be rude just thought it would be in the 8 second range  with the set up they have

-------------
whitelumpy401

Posted By: stickshifter
Date Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 10:26pm
Nice car and looks like fun.  But I do have one question, after seeing the pics, what makes that Concord "Prostock"?  Looks like a nice tried and true bracket car and combo.  An automatic in Prostock?  Just asking.

Date Posted: Sep/01/2010 at 12:16am
Originally posted by stickshifter stickshifter wrote:

Nice car and looks like fun.  But I do have one question, after seeing the pics, what makes that Concord "Prostock"?  Looks like a nice tried and true bracket car and combo.  An automatic in Prostock?  Just asking.

Ahh good question. First the cars need to fit within the period of early Pro stocks. The whole Idea is to have cars that fit Pro Stock before the 500 CId in 1982. So that's a start. Second while we are not quite there yet, we are going to start with installing a tunnel Ram, and we will be going to a Lenco Trans within time!!! Oh yea.. newer decals have to be removed period correct ones only. Oh yea RWB paint this winter. Like if there any other color an AMC Pro Stock should be...LOL

The organization is very new and right now the rules are very easy going. Its more important that we get participants out than to worry about details. Besides give us time on the Lenco, those things are pricey...LOL  LOL. Have you priced one lately??? Smack And we aren't the only ones without one, but we talked to one other participant and they are as excited about doing the change over as we are! As a matter of fact, Mark called me tonight about the weekend and during the conversation the talk of a Lenco came up, so we are definitely going that way, its just a matter of time.

We were very concerned how they would react to our car, but all the teams thought it was a great an AMC was joining in. Trust me, that felt good.

As I said the rules right now are very open, but as the numbers grow.. and trust me they are.  Bill Jenkins ( Hint Hint.. Great lakes Dragaway) and Warren Johnson cars are coming up very soon! Not sure if originals or tribute cars, either way I can't wait to see them. And once the numbers grow I am sure the rules will get tighter, but again all in time. If you get a chance to see any of them run, stop and talk to the guys and see how much excitement is in that area of the pits. Trust me!
Oh yea.. did I mention we don't use nitrous...LOLTisk

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/01/2010 at 12:32am

did not mean to be rude just thought it would be in the 8 second range  with the set up they have

No Offense taken.. Trust me we wanna be faster too...LOL  But again I think we are off to a good start with  9.69. I hope to get enough runs this weekend to make some improvements. But one at a time, I don't need to get lost in too many changes at once. 

Oh yea speaking of going fast, I gave Mark a hard time about shifting and said lets see when the power ends. All I will say is the RPM were crazy high when the power ended and it looks like a whole lot left in it to find quicker ETs. She is one sweet sounding motor hopefully I get it all squared away quickly.

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/01/2010 at 12:47am
A few other Pro Stokers

OoH How cool is this!!! A original Pro Stock Hauler!!

Awesome car just finished, Hemi Powered Original Built Pro Stocker. Wish we had gotten a pic on the track.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/05/2010 at 12:05am
Some quick match racing. against the Camaro we beat at Norwalk, this weekend at Great lakes Dragaway big labor day meet

Good news is we are getting the suspension worked out. With a few adjustments we nocked of .6 a second off the 60 foot times. And we have more to go but that was a great start. Unfortunetly with good news comes bad. While we ran a 9.68 pass we felt something strange on the tranny. We checked fluid level added a little and made the last pass of the night. Again the 60 foot dropped, the car got much better traction and went real well but we seem to have developed a tranny problem.  

So tomorrow out comes the tranny and off to the tranny shop. Not looking good to get into car before AMC Nats, but we will see. I will post when we know more.

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 1:39am
Transmission was removed Sunday Night and Brought to the Tranny shop yesterday. It was rebuilt and returned in just over 24 hours!!!! Awesome service!!!!  So it was a late night but the trans is in we will be at the AMC Nationals!!!!!!!!!

Awesome work by Automatic Trans Design In Germantown WI. I started to go there when they first opened their doors over 20 years ago and its been a few years since I needed work , but same awesome service and a big thanks to Charlie for getting it done like he said he would!!!! Its rare when you can not only recommend them but with the highest regard for thier business!

See you at the AMC NATS!

Allan

-------------

Posted By: alfonsothefons
Date Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 11:00am
i now own a 74 hornet that  i will be willing to convert over to amc power program it currently runs 9.20's with bbc
here a video turn up volume
 http://youtu.be/Ji9IyK_9BNM

-------------
If I had ever been here before I would probably know just what to do
Don't you?
If I had ever been here before on another time around the wheel
I would probably know just how to deal
With all of you.

Date Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 12:23pm
good luck friday guys!

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by alfonsothefons alfonsothefons wrote:

i now own a 74 hornet that  i will be willing to convert over to amc power program it currently runs 9.20's with bbc
here a video turn up volume
 http://youtu.be/Ji9IyK_9BNM

Nice looking Hornet!!!  AWESOME.. We would love to see more AMC in the program.. The best thing to start with it by looking at the Nostalgia Pro Stock web page and contact Jeff Johnson.

http://www.jeffjohnsonmotorsports.com/drag_racing.php

If you are unfamiliar with AMC, their will plenty of help here and names of the best AMC engine builders that can help you get going.

A Hornet joining the ranks would be great!!!

Also, It's looking like we are also going to get a another AMC to join in !! This one is very special !!! More news as it's confirmed to say!!!

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

good luck friday guys!

Thanks!!!  We are looking forward to Friday at Route 66 In Joilet IL. We will on display with other Pro_Stocks all day and race later in the day.

AMC Nationals:

We had lots of fun like always. We are struggling with traction and unfortunately the 60 ft timers were not working due to a major timing mishap at the track which made shock adjustments difficult. The MPH are showing a low 9 second car , but we have only been able to get near mid 9 so we have our work cut out for us. And I was just informed by mark the rear tires are in need of some help...LOL. Nothing money won't cure.

Allan 

-------------

Date Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:32am
We had a great time on Friday, lots of spectators and lots of people stopping by to talk and say how awesome it is too see an AMC running .Our performance is still not what we want so we have some plans in the next couple of week. I will post more about that as time goes by. 

The Good Guys shows are incredible. We had the opportunity, as our cars were on Display outside the main gate, we walked the show Friday at Noon and WOW!! The cars were awesome and a few nice AMC also on display. I would suggest that to do something different for a car show I would go to an Good Guys show as it is 73 and earlier for the show. This show has the greatest varity of cars you will ever see. Check em out if you can!!

Allan

-------------

Posted By: idrambler
Date Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 2:56pm
Hey Allan....

Was great to see the car up close and visit with you and Mark at Cordova..............

You guys  are carrying the torch  for AMC......hopefully a few more will follow behind you.....looking forward to seeing the Concord out next year in its new RWB colors.

-------------
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727

Date Posted: Oct/14/2010 at 10:55pm
We are Bowling Green KY at Beech Bend Raceway this weekend for GoodGuys Show And Race. Hopefully some AMCers stop and say HI and we hope to see a few AMC on display and racing. We are here to have some fun and do well to show the rest of the world that AMC can be as competitive as the rest of the race cars.

Again if you are attending , stop by and say hi!!!!

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 8:33pm
Good luck. Get some pics.

Date Posted: Oct/15/2010 at 10:43pm
We had a good day but had some issues, but the high light of the day was we finally have gotten a better handle on the suspensions. And its going to require some work this winter but we did manage to run a 9.39 at 142 mph!!!

I hope to have pics to post tomorrow and thanks!  We needs lots of luck!!!

Allan 

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 9:43am
Well it happened again.. We won The Good guys Nostalgia nationals In Bowling Green KY!!!!   While it wasn't the Most spectacular Win , we will take it none the less. Our friend with a Beautiful Reher Morrison Lee Shepard tribute car lost to us again with transmissions breakage. He deserved to win as his car is faster and he, like us, has made every effort to help promote the New organization of Nostalgia Pro stocks.

Again this meet was so much fun and the fan were incredible.We even meet two older racers who used to run Pro Stocks back in the day and absolutely loved what we were doing. They talked for a long time and kept saying what we were doing was awesome!! And the fans kept us busy all day as they stopped to talk to us thought it was great and loved the fact that AMCs were racing too. This is so cool as we hoped people would like the idea as much as we do. We even have some Mopar guys love what we were doing and offered to help us out with some stuff that we could never do on our own.

This is the last race for the year for us as we have tons and tons of stuff to do to get the car ready for next year. We hope have a car that looks better, performs better, and goes even faster. We have Goals for the car and are going to work real hard to get there!

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 10:24am
That is just awesome! Congrats, and remember being faster sometimes comes with a down side like breaking.

-------------

Posted By: alfonsothefons
Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 10:40am
 i am glad to see AMC  winning, goood goin guys!
 let's me see my  hornet in new light

-------------
If I had ever been here before I would probably know just what to do
Don't you?
If I had ever been here before on another time around the wheel
I would probably know just how to deal
With all of you.

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 10:59am
saw this on Sunday.........Congrats guys.....its going to be a long winter......

-------------
Jim....AMCRC
69 AMX 401/727

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 5:55pm
Very cool, great to see you guys going so stong.

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 9:08pm
way to go guys chalk up one more

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 9:34pm
Thanks!!!

Again it was crazy fun , but we worked our butts off to do the best we can. And Marks awesome reaction times helped out so much!!! I think the Average reaction time was .030!!

But as much time as Mark and I put into the car we gotta thank our crew guy this time. Which was John. He helped us out the with the First Win. He is so much help to me. He handles so much stuff its crazy. John started off as not a drag racer but he has come on board with a love of mechanical things and has been awesome.

We even let the poor guy eat once in awhile, oh yea, he cooked the food too!!!...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 9:55pm
Oh yea.. check out our special guest!  Cruz and Tony Pedregon!. They were the Guest Of Good Guys for the race and they stopped over to see our cars and talk. And talk they did!!  What great guys. They even remembered Wally Booth coming to their home track and watching the Pro Stocks run back in the day. How cool is that!!

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 10:00pm
hey Mark can I have your autograph

Date Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 10:15pm
Walk over and knock on his door...LOL..Opps he is probably in the garage working on the car...LOL

But Be Careful, he will probably put you to work...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 9:27am
Ya I even know where he lives

Posted By: mloboda
Date Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 12:06pm
Congrats on another Nostalgia Pro Stock win Al  !
You and Mark and your crew have really done your share in promoting this exciting new nostalgia class. Hope to see you at a meet next year !

-------------
1970 AMX
415 Herman Lewis
Jerico 4 speed
9.40 @ 140

Date Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 9:53pm
Thanks Mike. We are looking so forward to next year. It going to be kick ass, I know it. If we get even a fraction of those who wanna join its going to be great. We had one more new guy locally join us and with a few changes he will fit in perfectly.

Next should be great for everyone involved and the the fans who want to see more!!

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/23/2010 at 4:58pm
Is mark going to put a lenco in this winter a good slipper clutch will help get a handle on traction
and would a 70 hornet be legal to run with you group

-------------
whitelumpy401

Date Posted: Oct/23/2010 at 9:51pm
First. Unfortunately its looking like the Lenco will be the lowest on our list of things. Why? First its expensive ( and we have pleanty of other cost to attended to first)and second its going to be quite of bit of logistics to get it to where we want it to be. Bell housing, clutch, linkage, etc, Mark and I have talked about it and while we really-really want it right now, we don't think it will happen. But I never want to say never. As Marks says, If Santa Is really god to us you never know.

Our traction problem does not lie with the transmission, its suspension issues. That is high on our list of priorities. We need to get the ET to match the MPH, they are way out of wack and we need to correct that problem before we make any more changes.

Yes a early Hornet will work. Shirley Shannon race a 70 Hornet for a year or two so it fits right into the program. We would love to see another AMC effort join in. People seem to love the variety of cars. Every one from the fans to the teams racing hope someone shows up with a Hot Small block powered Ford like a Mustang ll or a pinto. That be awesome to add to the collection of cars so far.

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/24/2010 at 7:57am
You guys have me motivated for sure! I won't bring this out without a manual trans(all I need to finish this)..working on getting a liberty 5 speed for this..And Barry is finishing the new engine 420 with a set of Booths trapezoid pro stock heads and 2-4 intake..I could have it out very easy with an automatic but I won't do that..no fun..lol

-------------
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal

Date Posted: Oct/24/2010 at 12:40pm
Hey I remember  that Gremlin from Kenosha in 2002.....would be really great to see it out racing in the N/pro stock
class..... 

-------------
Jim....AMCRC
69 AMX 401/727

Date Posted: Oct/25/2010 at 6:57pm
could it look like this

Date Posted: Oct/25/2010 at 6:59pm
Sorry for the long delay.. Long trip back from Florida... 

YES JIM!!!!!!  Do it.. we need as many AMC's as we can. Yours looks and sounds just like what is needed!! Yes, set it up for a shifter and it will go over Big Time. I am so glad we are motivating you to get the Gremlin going. That will be a blast!!!!  

N/PS is going to grow big time next year, so the predictions goes, and be great to have a nice group of AMC racing on a regular basis. 

This could get exciting!!!

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/25/2010 at 7:29pm
Ahh the Ideas Keep Flowing..... I like it, and gives us some ideas of where we are going for next year.. Any Sponsors available?.....

Allan

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 5:59pm
Great looking Gremlin Jim !!!
Yeah, STICK SHIFT !!

-------------
1970 AMX
415 Herman Lewis
Jerico 4 speed
9.40 @ 140

Posted By: stickshifter
Date Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 8:29pm
So can I come play in that class?
I feel my car is pretty close to the original PS cars.  And I don't even have a wing!  I'll even just run it on motor, sounds like fun.  If Jim's will work in the class, I don't see why mine wouldn't.

Date Posted: Oct/26/2010 at 9:01pm
No reason at this point you couldn't. All you need to do is go to http://www.jeffjohnsonmotorsports.com/drag_racing.php.
The rules are pretty relaxed at this point, but more is to come as the class grows. WOW  how about an all Nostalgia AMC Pro stock show..LOL

Allan

-------------

Posted By: goodtimes79
Date Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 11:34pm
To everyone that has given us support and best wishes, I thank you. My crew and myself have worked very hard this year to be abled to compete at that level. We won twice and was always in the finals. Not an easy feat, considering we were not the fastest car out there.
We my not have gone as fast as some think we should have, but we had alot of bugs to work out and I think we came along way with our improvements. We started the year running 9:70's, and by the end of the summer we were running 9:30"s. To me that is a good improvement.
This has good for all of the AMCers out there because we were abled to draw alot of attention out there. To me this is good for everyone. I'm hoping that more of you guys and gals will decide to build something that can also run with us next year. We plan on making more changes to the car to make the car more compatable to the class and make us more competitive. I normally don't get on these sites and I let my crew chief do most of the talking, but I thought I would go on this and thank everyone for thier support. We met alot of new faces, and seen some that we have seen in awhile.
I love the designs that Dave did, it gives us an idea on it should look like next year. I'm sorry if we don't make everyone happy with what we are going and what we are doing it with. We can only do what we can, and make the best of what we have and try to make the AMC world proud. Again thank you.

-------------
nostalgia Prostock 79 AMC Concord

Date Posted: Oct/30/2010 at 5:18pm
Mark, you and Alan are doing something really cool. Don't worry about making other racers happy.

-------------
1970 AMX
415 Herman Lewis
Jerico 4 speed
9.40 @ 140

Date Posted: Oct/30/2010 at 7:56pm
Thanks, the both of us love AMC's. And we enjoy what we do, just like alot of other AMCer's

-------------

Date Posted: Oct/30/2010 at 8:06pm
Keep it up mark (and crew) your driving and tunningClapClapClap

Date Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 10:31pm
Thanks, you do a darn good job of driving also. And you also have one bad Rambler.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 11:15pm
Just to let everyone know, there is a muscle car show in Rosemont this weekend at the Donald Stevens Convention Center. It is on saturday and sunday. There is going to be alot of nice cars there.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov/19/2010 at 5:39pm
I stopped and talked to the Good Guys booth at Sema a couple weeks ago now and the guy I talked to told me Good Guys is no longer going to do any drag racing at there events in the future, that it was not cost effective for them to do drag racing, ie they were loosing money on that end of it. I hope some else picks up the Nostalgia Pro stocks and makes it a series. I'd like to see it out west here. LRDaum 

-------------
LRDaum

Date Posted: Nov/19/2010 at 6:40pm
Well...  This is something we have know about for a while, but did want to comment about until more information is known. Is Nostalgia Pro Stock going away...HECK NO!!

Who will be running the shows? Well as of right now I don't have enough information to confirm things yet. But I can tell you, First, The cancellation of Nostalgia racing programs that were run at the Good Guys show has effected all racers From Nitro Dragsters down to the Gassers, not just the Pro-Stock ranks. But the Good news is we have race  promoters worker very hard right now getting New Programs set up for next year. I don't have enough info yet, but I can almost guarantee its going to be way better than last year. Its looking like more races and some new places. Anyone who attened a Nostalgia racing program will tell you they are awesome, so there are many track wanting a show at their facility.

Once I hear more I will post that information, but we just race, we are not the ones who set it all up, so... just like we are ...everyone has to be patient on the info. Trust me when I say, there is a lot of excitement in the Nostalgia Pro Stock ranks for next year! Thumbs Up

Allan

-------------

Posted By: rastiss
Date Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 10:08pm

here's a pic for ya. doesnt show a whole lot of it but it is booth's car in the background. the mustang is my dad's car. pic was taken at ontario world finals in '76. this was our first pro stock race. our car was driven by former NHRA world champ mike schmitt. i am hoping this class takes off as i'd love to run our car in it! we still have ours. it was last raced in '80. it's exactly as it was last raced. still fires right up after all these years. not trying to jack your thread, just sharing some stuff  that hopefully you guys like as well. your amc looks great! and congrats on your wins!!

one with glidden at '78 winternat's in pomona

this weekend

Date Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 10:30pm
OH that is absolutely awesome!!!  Oh yes.. we would love to see you join in. I love the Mustang II as a race car ( If I could only say that about it as a street car...LOL) and we need one to join in. And the best part is it an Original one..FANTASTIC. I have been collecting pics on the internet of original ProStockers from the 70 and I think I saw that a few times ( need to start over as my hard drive crashed and lost them all)..OH so very cool.

What was the fastest pass made on the car. tell us a little about the motor. I love Pro stock as they were and still are the best of performance in a V8.

Thanks on the Wins..It was more fun that anything.

Allan

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net