Forum Description: If it's between the engine and wheels, it goes here
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10579
Printed Date: Apr/16/2024 at 4:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: T5 Swap
Posted By: 16Gremlin
Subject: T5 Swap
Date Posted: May/17/2009 at 10:14pm
Here is a quick run through of a T5 into a S/B AMC. It may differ for B/B cars. But heres what I got. I used a Mustang T5 from an 84' car non world class. It is a weak tranny but I haven't broken it yet. You can use a world class tranny thats good for 330ft-lbs. If you wanted to use a Jeep T5 that will work as well just get one thats not a hydrolic clutch.  For the record the car is a 74 Gremlin that had a T-14 3 speed with a six. It now has a 360. You can use all your same clutch linkage as you old stick. If you are going from auto to stick Pm me. Anyways The bellhousing is from a 79 Spirit and you have to cut out the hole the bearing retainer slides into. I just used a carbite bit and made the hole bigger and took the bearing retainer off the tranny and stopped now and then to see if it was big enough. Another mod i did which you have to do other wise you'll have a world of trouble is to cut the bearing retainer down to 3 7/8" from the bottom of the mounting surface to the throwout bearing shaft. Basicly take the retainer off the tranny place it on a desk measure 3 7/8" from the bottom up and then cut! Next for a clutch i just looked it up for a 77 Cj7 with a three speed T-150 the splines and input shaft are almost identical. The measurements are 10X 1 1/16" splines. This gives you a three finger clutch with 10.5" disc. Now as for installing the tranny into the car you need to make a mod to the tailshaft and the tranny crossmember. For the tranny tailshaft there are three holes on it that Ford uses as mounting holes and dampners. You need to cut these off in order to fit the tranny between the body and the crossmember. As for the crossmember I used a A904 cross. A problem is the tranny mount is 4 inches too short to hit the crossmember. Fix: Take a piece of sheet metal and cut it to the length you need. About 1/4" thick will do it have someone WELD IT if you bolt it up it will flex, bend and break. TRUST ME lol. Also if you wanted to make it really strong weld up to metal straps on each side welded ro the hump on the cross. Use a tranny mount from a 67 cougar with an automatic since the auto trans has the same bolt hole alignment as the T5. In order to cut the right hole in the tunnel attach the trans to the engine and run it all the way up so the shifter housing hits the tunnel take a punch and make a mark at all four corners of the housing. this way when you look from up top you can see where to make your cut. Make 1/4" all the way around the four points so the tranny won't hit the body. I like the Mustang T5 because of the ease to find parts and shifter options. My driveshaft is from a 80 spirit with a T5. I don't know what other drive shafts will work but you can have some one mate a yoke to whatever drive shaft you use.

Please feel free to call me at 941-468-1710 or PM me I can sell, make or help you whatever parts you'll need to make a T5 into your AMC Names Jake AMCyA

Replies:
Posted By: kwkslvr73
Date Posted: May/18/2009 at 7:39am
How much was the original shifter hole  "off" from what you had to cut?  I'll be doing this in the fall with my 73 Gremlin so I may have to call!!

-------------
360 5-speed orig owner... http://s274.photobucket.com/user/gremlum/media/newwheels2012001.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: 16Gremlin
Date Posted: May/19/2009 at 9:54pm
Sorry I took so long i've been working. Umm.... the hole diffrence is pretty large my T5 shifter sits in the middle of my bucket seats. I still have to patch the old hole up if you want a pic i'll send it to ya

Date Posted: May/20/2009 at 8:42am
sits in the middle of the bucket seats.....you mean front to back or between the seats?

-------------
360 5-speed orig owner... http://s274.photobucket.com/user/gremlum/media/newwheels2012001.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: kirkwood
Date Posted: May/20/2009 at 9:21am
when I did this in my spirit years ago I had to cut the tunnel back to the 'hump' brace. I am not sure if that brace is in the same spot on a gremlin, but I would imagine it is close. 

-------------
AMO Newsletter Editor

Posted By: AMCBoz
Date Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:32pm
I know this really isn't possible to do accurately, but you could you give an approximate price range to do this swap. Mine would be higher as I have an automatic, but some baseline would be great. Thanks!

-------------
1992 Jeep YJ    

1975 Gremlin    258 auto

1980 Pacer      258 4 speed

1981 SX/4       Iron Duke 4 speed

Posted By: Wrambler
Date Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 9:29am
Costs run all over the board, it really is a case of "how much do you want to spend?"
The longer you are will ing to take and harder you want to search can save you a pile of money.
You can also throw a couple of grand at it and be done real quick.

I would seriously avoid modifying the  hole in the bellhousing!  That is what centers the trans!
You do not want to mess with that unless it is done on a lathe at a machine shop!
IIRC, 4wdhardware or another jeep online shop sells STEEL bearing retainers in the correct dimensions for less than $40. That is the part to use.

As for shifter placement, if you want to maintain a console you will have troubles with the ford T5 as the shifter ends up centered and to far back in the hump. For use without a console it is fine.
Use of a bench seat will also get you real close and may not work for shorter people!

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300

Posted By: scott
Date Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 4:28pm
Here's a quick rundown of what my T5 swap ran me. I was replacing an existing T10 4 speed.

$1300.00 New T5-Z
$150.00 Clutch kit
$40.00 New yoke
$30.00 Used bellhousing & clutch fork
$30.00 Machine retainer
$20.00 Synthetic ATF for the trans
$16.00 U joint to convert new yoke to 4 speed trans.
$15.00 Tranny mount
$20.00 Speedo gears to correct speedo reading, fit on 4 speed cable.

That's most everything. It could be done cheaper with a used transmission. I love this swap!! Its the best thing I've ever done to a car.  Scott

Posted By: Fluffy73
Date Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 5:23pm
Since there's a topic started, I'll ask my questions here.

I converted my Hornet to a 5-speed, but I used an AMC T5. It was almost a direct plug-and-play job to swap from the SR4 to the T5. All I really had to do was notch my crossmember a bit.

Now I have a T5 from a Mustang 'cuz I want the better 1-2 gear ratios.

Since my car is an AMC T5, will the shifter sit any further back? If so, how much? ( I have a Spirit GT console)

I have a front retainer from an old SR4 that I used for parts. Could I just bolt that onto the Ford T5 instead of cutting the Ford one?

-------------
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.

Date Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 5:43pm
You'll move the shifter back about 3-4 inches near as I can recall.
I can get you an exact measurement if you need.

I would be most willing to buy your AMC T5 from you if you intend or want to sell it.
Hit me a PM and we can work out details.
I think the SR4 retainer is different, you can move the retainer from the AMC T5 if it is good.
Or buy the new steel retainer from 4wd hardware or whereever it is sold. I believe the new retainer to be the way to go. The stock retainers are aluminum and wear and gall over time. Then the release bearing hangs up and causes issues with clutch action. I plan on buying a new one even though mine is in mint condition right now. I want to have one here before they decide to stop making them. You never know...

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300

Posted By: FuzzFace2
Date Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

You'll move the shifter back about 3-4 inches near as I can recall.
I can get you an exact measurement if you need.

I would be most willing to buy your AMC T5 from you if you intend or want to sell it.
Hit me a PM and we can work out details.
I think the SR4 retainer is different, you can move the retainer from the AMC T5 if it is good.
Or buy the new steel retainer from 4wd hardware or whereever it is sold. I believe the new retainer to be the way to go. The stock retainers are aluminum and wear and gall over time. Then the release bearing hangs up and causes issues with clutch action. I plan on buying a new one even though mine is in mint condition right now. I want to have one here before they decide to stop making them. You never know...

Some one said you can use the AMC T5 tail housing & shifter rod on the Ford T5 so the shifter will end up in the stock AMC position. I do not know if this is true or not as I have not done this change.

I am in the parts gathering stage for the Ford T5 in my 70 Javelin that has a T10 in it now. This will be going behind a 360 that has some work done to it.

I have the trany a WCT5 that needs rebuilding. I know it needs some gears and input shaft so thinking of getting the 2.95 gear set as this is the stronger of them all and works best in our cars. Besides the gear set & rebuild kit there are some other bits to make it stronger but adds up to about $900+ in parts. BTW trany was free

I also have a bell but need the arm, ball & spring that fit inside it.

The front bearing retainer from 4wd hardware came today. It is shorter than the ford unit and does fit the bell, best $32.39 I have spent on the car yet. The mount & cross member does not look like it will be a big deal or the clutch ( I want to go with a Center Force clutch assy.)  & pilot bearing. The shifter might be an issue from what I hear and I don’t have any thing to go by.

When I really get into this project I will post pictures

Dave ----

-------------
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car

Posted By: 71gremmy
Date Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 8:25am
It is very easy to swap the amc top cover and tail housing to the mustang tranny, I would have done that if I could have found a amc t-5.  Here is a short discripton on how to remove the tail and top cover.
Just drive out the roll pin in the shifter block in the tranny (just drive it down you can get it out after you remove the tail housing) then unbolt the tail housing. After that unbolt the top cover slide it to the pass side and pull up. Install in reverse order. Also a note make sure put the tranny in neutral before dissasembly, and double check the speedo locations on the tail shaft. 

I also have a 84 mustang t-5 in my 71 gremlin with a 360 and still have no problems. I have been running it over two years now.

-------------
71 Gremlin X,360,t-5,8 3/4 rear axle
66 Rambler Classic, 232,auto

Date Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 9:12am
I can get a hold of a Pacer tailshaft that was bolted to a mustang 4-speed, anybody know if it would bolt up to a t-5? I think the mustang trans was a 77 or 78 so it would be a mustang II.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by 71gremmy 71gremmy wrote:

It is very easy to swap the amc top cover and tail housing to the mustang tranny, I would have done that if I could have found a amc t-5.  Here is a short discripton on how to remove the tail and top cover.
Just drive out the roll pin in the shifter block in the tranny (just drive it down you can get it out after you remove the tail housing) then unbolt the tail housing. After that unbolt the top cover slide it to the pass side and pull up. Install in reverse order. Also a note make sure put the tranny in neutral before dissasembly, and double check the speedo locations on the tail shaft. 

Not quite that easy...there are some differences when going Ford to AMC tailhousing.
The speedo does NOT line up with any machined surface on the output shaft of a World Class T5. Not at all. I know it can be done, But it is not a simple 5 minute fix...

I have the AMC T5 in mine now too, I have a rebuildable World Class Cobra Trans all I need is the synchrous and some "soft" parts. But I need to retrofit it to my AMC tail to keep my shifter placement and use a factory console.  Not wanting to tear my current perfectly functioning AMC T5 apart I have been holding off till I have gotten some other things done.

Nosigma has done a speedo retrofit I believe he fitted an S10 tailhusing to his so he could keep his bench seat.

The 4 speed tailhoisings from any year will not work. I have an AMC T4 too. It is so close, but has no lump for the 5th gear setup to ride in Cry

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300

Date Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 1:56pm
thanks, figured that would be too easy....

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 8:15pm
I guess it's not possible to swap in the AMC output shaft when swapping tail housings, is it??

I may have to re-think this then. I can't move the shifter location in my car. I wonder if maybe I can put the guts from a World-Class T5 into an AMC T5 case?

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

I guess it's not possible to swap in the AMC output shaft when swapping tail housings, is it??

I may have to re-think this then. I can't move the shifter location in my car. I wonder if maybe I can put the guts from a World-Class T5 into an AMC T5 case?
You can swap the guts from an 83-84 non world class Mustang T5 into the AMC case and output and do the deed easily.  I started to do this, then found my Cobra trans cheap and changed my mind.

You can't swap world class gears onto the non world class output. There is also a change in the tailhousing on some of the world class trans that adds even more possible problems to the swap.

Adding to the reason I want to find another AMC T5 before I tear into the swap. I know I can pull off the needed changes, I just don't want to tear apart my good current trans.

If anyone has a broken AMC T5 I'd be interested in documenting that actual process and even offer to sell back my GOOD AMC T5 once done. Otherwise I will hope to get to it this winter, or next, or the year after....

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300

Posted By: Schwalls
Date Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 9:49pm
On my 64 American i also had to cut the hole in the hump back to the support brace.  It is centered in the tunnel tight to the support brace.  4wd hardware does sell a steel bearing retainer for about $40.  Don't waste your time with the one that is on it.  just order this one and be done with it.  Overall the swap for me was very easy.  I had to patch the floor where i had cut for the T10 shifter so changing the location wasn't a problem.  Like other said might be a problem for those with a bench seat.  I also put a Hurst super short throw shifter.  THat took some getting used to but now that i ahve used it for awhile i am happy with it.The trans crossmember is really the only think I had to fabricate.   Info on my swap can be found at http://www.schwallers.com/T5Swap.htm  I also have a parts list of what i used with the prices. 
Scott

-------------
Scott
64 American Convertible 360 5sp
http://www.schwallers.com/AMCpage.htm

Date Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 8:01am
For shifters i went with a PRO 5.0 Camaro base as it fits the AMC tailhousing.
I welded up the holes in a stock 2000 or so Mustang shift lever and redrilled to bolt it to the shifter as the Camaro shifter is all wrong, angled etc,
  Love the PRO 5.0, shifts like glass, has a poly pivot ball. very smooth shifting.
It naturally finds third gear just pushing with the ball of your hand.
  Nothing wrong with the Hurst either! just wanted to mention how happy I am with the PRO 5.0.

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300

Date Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:01am
There seem to be a lot of good shifters out there.  Just make sure you get the right one for the transmission you have.  If you do some internet research you will find many opinions on what shifter is the best/worst.  I went with the Hurst because it has more of a muscle car appearance.  When researching, there were a lot of good reviews of the pro 5.0.  There are other ones too, but i just didn't like to look or the price of them.

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Schwalls Schwalls wrote:

There seem to be a lot of good shifters out there.  Just make sure you get the right one for the transmission you have.  If you do some internet research you will find many opinions on what shifter is the best/worst.  I went with the Hurst because it has more of a muscle car appearance.  When researching, there were a lot of good reviews of the pro 5.0.  There are other ones too, but i just didn't like to look or the price of them.

I went that route simply because I knew I was not going to end up with a shifter lever I wanted anyway! So I searched on evilbay until I found a guy buying up unpackaged units from PRO 5.0 and selling them at a discount.  I am still trying ti figure out what shift lever to use.

I want it to look period to go with the console once it is mounted. I used the Mustang lever cause I had a knob for it and it was free!  I might just make my own lever if I can't find one!

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300

Date Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:13am
Since you have a S10 will you be able to use a console or will you be making your own console?  I am planning to make one for my car, but haven't got to that yet. If you are making one or have made one i would like to see pics of what you have.

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:25am
Mine is an AMC T5 tailhousing.
It uses the same shifter base pattern as a 82-92 S10 and Camaro. I think 92 is the cut off?
The s10 base is the better choice as the T5 trans sits level in the S10. In that generation of Camaros the trans is tilted, leading to the shift lever being tilted and angled back.

The AMC T5 tailhousing is  perfect match for the shifter hole in a 60s AMC Ambassador/Classic/Marlin/American console!  The other T5 locations are to far rearward and the S10 is to far forward!

To place the shifter in the proper spot you need an AMC or Chevetter T5.  Finding one is difficult and the trans will end up being non world class and the speedo drive will need to be redone to use the AMC tailhousing on a world class trans.

It is probably easier to build a custom console than to try and work out using an original console!

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300

Date Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 6:32pm
I will defiantly be sticking with my plan to build a custom console.  I don't have a a console now and want to build it down from the dash.  It won't be too hard to do if i could get some of my other projects done.  My plan is to build the framework out of steel bar like 3/16 or something then skin it with light gauge sheet metal. 

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:04pm
Well, I was at a buddies last night and we compared a Ford T5 to an old SR4 he had on the floor. The Ford T5's shifter center is about 2.5" further back than the SR4 and I know the AMC T5 was about an inch or so further rearward than the SR4.

So if it all comes down to being an inch and a half difference, my console WILL more than likely cover everything! (My car uses a Spirit console with the big leather shifter boot.

I think everything'll be OK. Cool

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:08pm
sorry, I looked at the stuff on my bench last night but did not get the measurement!

I was so P'O'd at MTD for consolidating the part number for the engine pulley on my 12 year lawn tractor into something that no longer works right I could not see straight!!!  Can't get the transmission drive belt to fit the new pulley, arg...Have to figure out a way to make it work tonight as the correct pulley is no longer made. Smack

-------------
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300

Posted By: JavMD
Date Posted: Jul/07/2009 at 9:37pm
I did the T5 swap on a 79 AMX with a SR4, (SR4 is broke somewhere somehow).

Not an easy swap.   I did NOT cut off the 3 holes part of the rear casting.  As a matter of fact I use the last of the 3 hole and a threaded rod to assist keeping it 'steady'.  The holes in the AMX frame exist, and a long threaded rod from the hardware store and stainless nuts and lock washers work well.  Probably could have installed rubber bushings from shock asborbers to minimize and vibrations but so far so good.

Highly recommend anyone going to do this to study the heck out of it! ,  SR 4 Bearing retainer NOT the same for a T5 'world class' (i bought on ebay used),  had to cut down the retainer shaft cover, had to enlarge the existing flywheel housing for the retainer.  the cross member doesn't match to the T5 and had to use more threaded rods,  in the future will try and use the transmission mount of a mustang.  Had to cut back the floor hump to the brace for the tranny to sit up right.  Worried about the proper angle of the drive shaft to the rear differential,  doesn't seem like enough 'angle'.

Not sure what tranny I'll use when I go to a 401 !

-------------
BDR

Date Posted: Jul/10/2009 at 8:04am
f anyone is planning this swap 4wd.com has 10% off now by using TF0711 until 7/13.  Here is the link to the T5 front bearing retainer.  If you are doing this swap, don't waste your time taking the ford retainer to a shop to be modified and cut down.  Just order this one.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=0&plID=311&partID=11159 - http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=0&plID=311&partID=11159

-------------
Scott

Posted By: forest
Date Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 1:39pm
what exact bellhousing are you guys using? the one from my 3speed amc trans is nowhere close to the mustang bolt pattern.....

-------------
setting guys out by car lengths....

Date Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 2:07pm
mine is from an 82 spirit if I remember right. You need one from an amc after they started using the sr4 4-speed

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 2:17pm
Bellhousing for AMC with a SR4, T5, T4, and possibly others. It is a shallow depth bellhousing which is know as the 6.5" bellhousing. There are some on ebay now if you just do a search for jeep bell housing, or jeep bellhousing.

Otherwise check some junk yards and others.  I don't know what all years and models will work but they are a pretty standard bellhousing.

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: Jul/30/2009 at 8:48pm

I just did the T5 swap into a 79 AMX (SR4).  What a lot of modifications ! and I still have to jury rig up a rear transmission mount, because of the angle' Ford put on it !  long story on another post here at AMC forum

My 79 AMC bellhousing was 6.5, but what a nightmare with the T5 front bearing retainer interfering with the throwout bearing LEVER (causing my clutch to slip).  Had to do it all OVER !,  just finished it and
BOOM, this 304 with a 4bbl intake ...screams...

-------------
BDR

Date Posted: Jul/30/2009 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by JavMD JavMD wrote:

I just did the T5 swap into a 79 AMX (SR4).  What a lot of modifications ! and I still have to jury rig up a rear transmission mount, because of the angle' Ford put on it !  long story on another post here at AMC forum

My 79 AMC bellhousing was 6.5, but what a nightmare with the T5 front bearing retainer interfering with the throwout bearing LEVER (causing my clutch to slip).  Had to do it all OVER !,  just finished it and
BOOM, this 304 with a 4bbl intake ...screams...

So you did not buy a front bearing retainer from 4wheel hardware (I think it is)? Remove the weak ford alum 1 and bolt on the new steel Jeep one and you are done.
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Posted By: rogue_66
Date Posted: Jul/31/2009 at 12:26am
I'm going to try the new pic posting feature out. I've been idle for awhile but here goes...
I used the stock rear tranny brace originally in the car & if I recall a C-6 mount fits to a T-5.
At any rate the angle of the Ford T5Z threw me for a loop also & after countless hours trying
to find a bolt in answer I decided it much easier to just fabricate one to fit.
It's been my observation over the years that each & every T5 swap creates it's own challenges. Here's a few pics of my rear tranny mount mocked up from the stock brace. All the gaps have now been welded up & a new exhaust system has been installed since these pics were taken over two years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 2:40pm
Schwalls..is the bearing retainer you used from 4wd hardware for the Mustang t-5 also?
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=0&plID=311&partID=11159# -
Part Number: OAI18885.02
  • 1982-86 CJ

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by kwkslvr73 kwkslvr73 wrote:

Schwalls..is the bearing retainer you used from 4wd hardware for the Mustang t-5 also?
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=0&plID=311&partID=11159# -
  • 1982-86 CJ
The 1 from 4wd hardware is for a Jeep. I will try and find the paper work & get pictures of the 2 retainers, ford T5 & Jeep T5
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 7:24pm
OK...I have the mustang steel bearing retainer that came with the trans. I had it shortened and cut smaller around and thought I would be all set until I read some of the problems popping up with using it! Pictures would be great. I'll see if I can post a picture of the one I have.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 7:52pm

If you mean the steel sleeve was shortened, thats great.  #2 if you also mean the 'LIP" around the steel sleeve (being aluminum LIP),  for MY application of a 79 AMX SR4, the lever kept the full 'disengagement' and therefore no 'slop' or play to allow full clutch' engagement.    You're situation could be different.

My recommendation is how Pete's Performance Shop corrected my initial swap.

With the new clutch and pressure plate and bellhousing installed along with the throwout bearing and lever,  place the new front bearing retainer up against and in the bellhouse to see if it 'fits'.

Good luck kwkslvr73

-------------
BDR

Date Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 9:11pm

The 1 on the right is the new AMC Jeep T5 retainer, the left 1 is the one off the Ford T5

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2135&g2_serialNumber=1 - http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2135&g2_serialNumber=1

Right Jeep T5 left is a Ford T5. The difference is  11/16” This Ford 1 does not have a lip that some have that will not let the clutch engage all the way so no free play and clutch will slip or is that lip on the SR4 retainer?

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2138&g2_serialNumber=2 - http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2138&g2_serialNumber=2

Yes the parts in the back ground are the old parts from my WCT5. Some will be reused when I start the rebuild.

Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 6:25pm
                  so this one won't work? Will the Jeep retainer fit the Ford t-5?

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 7:16pm
I do not KNOW if for your bellhousing and lever rod if yours will bump into the lever and alum lip.  When you have the old tranny out,  put the retainer up against the bellhousing! and you'll see real quick if it fits !

Are you replacing the clutch and pressure plate?

-------------
BDR

Date Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 7:43pm
Yes. I'm going from a 3 speed to the ford t-5. New clutch,pressure plate etc. Have everything but the mount which I figure I'll fab up.The motor I'm installing is on the stand so I can mock everything up outside the car. Only thing I won't be able to duplicate would be the clutch linkage. What should I look for? Will it be obvious if it won't move enough or hit?

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 8:08pm
I think at Pete's Performance Shop we did not need the linkage actual hooked up, but with the retainer just held up in place and the lever in place just using our hands we could see easily the interferences.
If you have the lever (that holds the throwout bearing) see how it comes back to the retainer.

ALSO throwout bearings can vary almost a quarter inch !  we used the smallest width one also to help give the most slop, 'play' to adjust clutch linkage etc.

One was from Autozone,  cheapo, one was Autozone Timken bearing, and one was from LUK clutch kit 01-015 and one from ?   I bought numerous parts trying to get stuff NOW... to get the car running!...   I hate to wait.    McDonalds has spoiled the world.. and Summit Racing etc etc

Good luck...

Michigan??   close to detroit.. I thinking of coming over to Greenemead meet

-------------
BDR

Date Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 8:18pm
JavMD, did your bearing look like this one I have? Throw out bearing came with the clutch kit. I have the lever so I'll put it together soon and see if can figure out what hits! Just trying to have everything ready. I'm  by grand rapids about a few hrs west of detroit. Greenemead sounds great but I don't think I'll be able to go. I WILL be going to the AMO convention near detroit next year! ( if I get this trans/motor in this winter!)

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 8:44pm
I'm age 57, i can't wait that long of a time period....lol... let's get r done... winter... hell... this week !lol
Sorry i don't see a picture of your throwout bearing.   I may have a picture on my iphone, but I'm not computer literate enough to figure out how to attach it to this message.

I click on the 'insert image' but i already have two pictures there and don't know how to get rid of them to place another..  give me your email address and i'll send
mailto:bromano215@roadrunner.com - bromano215@roadrunner.com

-------------
BDR

Date Posted: Aug/07/2009 at 7:36am

so this one won't work? Will the Jeep retainer fit the Ford t-5?

This is the same bearing retainer i had and it did NOT work.  I would not recommend even getting this cut down.  By the time you take it to a machine shop and have it cut down to try it you could just have a new one shipped to your door.  I used the steel retainer from 4 wheel drive hardware. 

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: Aug/07/2009 at 3:15pm
Those doing the swap 20% off at 4wd hardward

http://www.4wd.com/promo/2009-08/2009-08-07.htm?utm_source=email&utm_medium=msc&utm_campaign=08-07-09&r=5550_67445

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: Aug/07/2009 at 3:50pm
Scott....
  • 1982-86 CJ
...will the one from 4wd hardware fit the ford t-5?

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/07/2009 at 5:25pm

Scott....
  • 1982-86 CJ
...will the one from 4wd hardware fit the ford t-5?
That is the one I bought 6/15/09 for $32.39 shipped.
It does fit in the AMC bell housing as that was the first thing I tried. Looking at the bearing side and fitting it on the old input shaft it works also. I just dont have the trany (rebuilding) to the point where I can use it at this time, hope in the next week or 2.

If maybe you had the Ford 1 like I pictured and mod it then it might work. After reading about the stock alum. Ford peice cracking I wanted some thing stronger so when I heard of the 4WD one I bought it.
Could the Ford retainers be different, yours w/lip & mine w/out because mine came from a WC T5?
Dave ----

-------------

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale

Date Posted: Aug/07/2009 at 5:38pm
My t-5 is a world class tranny also...guess I'll buy it , if it don't work I'll be out shipping

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 5:47am
I used this bearing retainer on a world class T5 from a 92 Mustang.  Hope this helps.
Scott

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 7:27am
thanks Scott, did it fit without shims? Did you use the race from the ford bearing in the jeep retainer? Sorry for all the questions, thought I was all set till I read about the lip deal on the mustang retainer!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 4:49pm
I used the race and i believe there was 1 shim.  I took it out of the old retainer and put it in the new one and bolted it up.

-------------
Scott

Date Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 7:25pm
Got my retainer today and it fits like you said Scott. Race and one shim fit and also fit the bellhousing. Do you have the part no. of the seal that goes in the retainer? Not sure if I'm looking at the right one. I came up with Timken 7412S and BCA 7412S Does this sound right? 

-------------

Date Posted: Aug/15/2009 at 8:26am
I don't remember the seal #.  I went and asked for front & rear seals for my specific trans.

-------------
Scott

Posted By: theyoungone
Date Posted: Aug/21/2009 at 5:02pm
how much would you be asking for that sr4 if you sell?

-------------
'70 Javelin 304/M11 (gonna be a 360)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net