Print Page | Close Window

68 AMX AM radio question

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Electrical - non engine
Forum Description: Charging systems, lights, non-ignition system, it goes here.
URL: http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104584
Printed Date: Jun/06/2020 at 4:39am

Topic: 68 AMX AM radio question
Posted By: JOE S
Subject: 68 AMX AM radio question
Date Posted: Mar/21/2020 at 7:32pm
The AM radio that I obtained for my 68 AMX is in nice shape but I want to test it before installing it.The radio has 4 wires coming out of it , an orange, a black a green and a brown. Unfortunately there are no terminals on on the wires so I can't really determine what part of OE harness they connect to. Can anyone tell me what each wire does and what type of connector should be on each one

Thanks
Joe

Replies:
Posted By: BBO390
Date Posted: Mar/21/2020 at 8:02pm
Just checked my 68 TSM and no luck finding answers.  But two years ago I installed one for my brother.  If my memory is correct, the orange wire is for lighting, the black is ground, the brown is power and the green is for the speaker.  Hope this helps. Dave

-------------
69 BBO AMX 390 auto 1968 Rogue V8 68 AMX 343 AT 52A Project

Date Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 7:45am
Thanks.. I have the TSM and could not find anything either.

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 9:39am
black and green will be the speaker wires.
Radio is grounded through the mounting backet!

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed
70 Javelin SST 390

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 11:06am
You can make the ground connection to any screw on the radio case. You'll need an antenna and a speaker of course to be able to test it. Orange is not necessary to test the radio as it simply goes to the dial light bulb.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 4:54pm
Just to summarize so it is clear:
Brown is 12V power
Green and black are the speaker connections
Orange is the dial back light
The metal case of the radio is ground return

-------------
My garage:
2018 300 5.7 - daily driver
2006 Sierra 4.8 - backup vehicle and sometimes hauler
1969 BBO Javelin 390 T10 - my neverending project

Date Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 5:17pm
Correct!

-------------
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed
70 Javelin SST 390

Date Posted: Mar/22/2020 at 5:17pm
Thanks again guys.. I will test it this week while self distancing

Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 9:35am
I tested the radio and it works fine. Now I have to install it.I can see how it fits into the radio pod and I can locate the wire connections. There is a T shaped bracket that I believe attaches to the angled mount on the bottom of the radio but where does the other end attach. Second question there is a 1/4" stud that sticks up from the center of the transmission hump is this stud used as part of the radio installation..Sorry for all the questions but I removed all of this before I put the car into storage in the eighties before digital cameras. Thirty years later I am trying to remember how things went together. Glad this site is here

Joe

Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 10:37am
The T shaped bracket ( painted black ) attaches to the bottom of the radio pod below the ash tray. The end of the the T fits over the stud on the transmission hump. A serrated nut secures the bracket/brace to the stud.
There should be a little metal bracket on the bottom of the radio that braces the bottom of the radio to the metal shielding around the ash tray. A sheet metal screw goes up through that shielding and secures the radio to the ash tray assembly. That T brace keeps everything tight and secures the radio pod from vibrating.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 10:38am
Yes, that bracket on a 68-9, bolts to the transmission tunnel!
Glad it's working! Good luck!
And, don't forget to adjust the antenna trim when you have it all hooked up!

-------------
70 AMX 360 4-speed
70 Javelin SST 390

Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 10:42am
The antenna trimmer adjustment is the little screw like post adjacent to the antenna jack on the radio. Raise the antenna to a normal height and select a radio station near the upper end of the dial. Turn this "trimmer screw" back and forth to maximize the radio station volume. This trimmer adjustment matches the electrical characteristics of the radio's tuning circuit to the electrical characteristics of the antenna. The trimmer only affects AM reception and has no effect on the FM reception of the am/fm radios.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 11:47am
Thanks George.. I think I got it.Hopefully just one more question.There are thin nuts and washers that are used to mount the radio to the front of the pod and the faceplate.I have 4 each of them.Do you use all 4 and this sandwiches the pod and faceplate? Or do you use just 2 one for each side tightening them from the face plate

Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 1:07pm
Joe,

I don't really remember. I "think" that there is only a single thin washer and shaft nut on each side. The washer and nut secure the plastic faceplate that says American Motors and holds the radio secure to the pod. Don't over-tighten these, just snug will do. Don;t want to crack that faceplate !

You didn't remove the washers and nuts that secure the threaded shafts to the radio case did you ?

-------------

Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:20pm
No....I kind of thought it would only be a nut and washer on each side.When I tried to put 2 of each on the radio there did not look as if there would be enough thread left to sandwich the pod and the faceplate but I just wanted to be sure.

Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: Mar/25/2020 at 4:39pm
Unsure, but I think 2 nuts are for the instance where the depth of the mounting needs to be adjusted,
1 nut would end up behind the plastic and act as a stop to set installed depth...

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 5:58pm
Installed the Radio in the pod today.Only 1 nut and 1 washer per side was needed..Thanks to everyone for the help.

Joe

Date Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 7:52pm
Excellent!

-------------
70 AMX 360 4-speed
70 Javelin SST 390

Print Page | Close Window