Print Page | Close Window

Replacing parking light bulbs...

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: Electrical - non engine
Forum Description: Charging systems, lights, non-ignition system, it goes here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104007
Printed Date: Apr/18/2024 at 5:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Replacing parking light bulbs...
Posted By: AMX2020
Subject: Replacing parking light bulbs...
Date Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 11:54am
Hi - I purchased a 68 AMX a short time ago. The front parking lights work when the headlights are on but are not on with the headlight switch at the first position (the taillights are).

I'd like to check the bulbs. Does the socket pull straight out the back or does it need to be rotated counter-clockwise first? Or is it best to get at the bulb by removing the lense?

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: AMX09652
Date Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 12:00pm
You have to remove the lens.

-------------

1969 BBO AMX 390 4 speed

"Deep in the heart of Texas"

Date Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 12:17pm
OK, I'll do that, thanks.

Posted By: scott
Date Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 4:35pm
I believe the 68 AMX has parking lights that come on with the first notch of the switch, then they go out when the headlights are on. Can anyone confirm this?

Posted By: BU1
Date Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I believe the 68 AMX has parking lights that come on with the first notch of the switch, then they go out when the headlights are on. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, that is how mine work.

-------------
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959

Date Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 5:20pm
Oh, I thought the parking lights were supposed to be on in both headlight positions. Mine are only on when the headlights are on. The turn signals and 4 way flashers work OK. Puzzling.

Posted By: ramblinrev
Date Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Yes, that is how mine work.

That's correct!

-------------
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)

Date Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 9:15pm
I removed the existing bulbs, they look to be LED. I decided to replace them with the traditional 1157 bulbs but for the life of me I cannot get them to seat properly in the socket. I'm not sure what the issue is, I made sure the pins are lining up correctly with the grooves in the socket. I believe that you need to line the pins up, press the bulb in and turn clockwise but I cannot turn the bulb and can only press it in a bit.  Maybe I need new sockets? Perhaps the spring in the socket has had it? 

I did notice that the connections on the base of the LED bulb do not protrude from the base to the same extent that the 1157 ones do, thought that might be the issue (the bulb can't be pressed in as far) but I can't get the LED bulb back in there either - frustrating!

Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 12:27am
1157's have two bayonet pins at different heights, so that it goes in only one way. 

Incandescent lamps (1157, etc) generally have solder blobs for contacts. The LED might have harder metal, that deformed the mating bump/contact in the socket. 

I think AMC did a heat seal pinch on the wires coming out of the plastic tube on back. If not, you can pull on the wires (nicely, slowly) to cause the phenolic disc in the socket to compress the springs inside, insert the bulb, let go the wires. That works when the wires aren't captive. YMMV, etc.

I think the park vs headlight behavior is partially or completely mandated by law, which varied with year, as did marker color. I'm pretty sure all of my AMCs have front markers mutually exclusive with headlamps; one is on, not both, or both are off.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by AMX2020 AMX2020 wrote:

Oh, I thought the parking lights were supposed to be on in both headlight positions. Mine are only on when the headlights are on. The turn signals and 4 way flashers work OK. Puzzling.
LED bulbs is a red herring IMO. That the parking lights come on indicates the bulbs are OK. It sounds like a switch problem to me. I can think of no other reason why the operation of the park lights is reverse of what it should be.

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 10:21am
Yes, it could be a problem with the switch. That said, I did come across a short Youtube video last night where the poster demonstrates how some LED bulbs do not work with older cars. See link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tci97uxfptA

Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 10:36am
Thanks for the info.

I will try giving the wires a gentle tug while inserting the bulb.

I was also thinking of filing the contacts down slightly on the incandescent bulb so they are roughly the same height as the contacts on the LED bulbs. 

I picked up a multimeter yesterday and will check to see if any power is getting to the socket(s) when the switch is in the first position.

Didn't think I would run into such problems changing bulbs...

Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 11:53am
I think we're steering you in the right direction, but let us know. The first switch detent should surely turn on the parking lights, tail lights, side markers. The full 'pull' on the switch should add the headlights (and in '68, shut off the parking lights. In '69 and up, the parking lights stay on with the headlights on.)

Good luck!

-------------
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by AMX2020 AMX2020 wrote:

Yes, it could be a problem with the switch. That said, I did come across a short Youtube video last night where the poster demonstrates how some LED bulbs do not work with older cars. See link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tci97uxfptA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tci97uxfptA
Interesting. The OE flashers are open/closed only. They do not ever ground the bulb terminals. The need for that in LED bulbs is unknown to me. It must depend upon the design approach taken in the LED bulbs to mimic bright and dim filaments.

A quick check to determine if this is your problem would be to disconnect the flasher unit, then try the park lights. If they are now working normally, that video explains your problem.

OK. you have already removed the LED bulbs. Try putting them back in and doing the test before switching to incandescent bulbs. If the whole car has been switched to LED, you might introduce new problems by running a hybrid LED/incandescent system.

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 9:35pm
That youtube guy is just wrong. The flasher doesn't ground the lamp, that's nothing to do with anything.

"old fashioned" flashers, non-electronic types, like AMC used, are very much like the old Rambler dash regulators. They are electro-mechanical devices, a heater and a bimetallic switch, essentially a thermostat, wired like this:

BATTERY -------> turn switch -------> flasher -------> lamp -------> GROUND

When the switch is off, the lamp is off, and the flasher mechanism is cold inside. When switch turns ON, current flows. A coil of wire, a tiny heater, wrapped around the bimetallic switch, heats up. For about 1/3rd of a second current flows, lamp lights, the heater in the flasher warms up, causing  the bi-metal to move, opens the circuit, the lamp goes off. It's metal, has mass, about 300 mS later, it cools enough to bend back, contact! light, repeat. That's the sound you hear, a physical switch going click click.

An 1157 lamp draws about 2 amps -- that's a lot of current! So there's plenty of power for the above to happen.

LEDs draw maybe 0.1 or 0.3 amps. NOT ENOUGH CURRENT. FLasher doesn't flash! Or it "microflashes", rapidly etc.

ELECTRONIC flashers, later model cars moved to three-wire flashers, 12V in, flasher out, and ground. These use an electronic circuit, with explicit timing elements, to get the 2 to 3 times per second flashing, instead of side effects of current draw. The circuit requires ground for reasons of electronic design.

That's why if you parallel LED lamps with a resistor (that gets hot, etc) the old flashers work. The resistor wastes the power the old lamp did, while the LED makes the light.

You can buy two-wire flashers that work with LEDs. Thats what I did, to run red LED 2357 tail lamps on my 68 AMerican, which I did because the lenses are getting clear, somehow, and the sockets old and corroded, and bad connections due to the high currents and heat of lamps. The red LEDs make more light for less current, but needs the modern flasher to flash.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 9:38pm
In front, at least, it's surprising that the marker lamps, sockets, etc last at all. Out in front of sand, rain, rocks, blasted at the lens and housing the whole time you're driving! 

-------------

Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 10:07pm
I had a '69 and the front marker / parking / turn signal lights in the bumper
were on when only parking lights were on, AND were on when headlights were on.
I did not know it was different on 1968 Models...

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 3:55pm
Well I gave up on getting the Sylvania 1157 bulbs into the front parking lights, they just won't go in there. I have no problem putting them in the rear taillights. I put the LED lights back in at the front. I barely got those in.

So, I am back to where I started, turns signals are OK, 4 way flashers are OK, and the side markers and parking lights come on when I activate the headlights. I think this is fine, I don't plan on using the parking lights anyway but I need the car to pass a provincial inspection before I can register the car and buy insurance. I'm a little concerned that the car might fail the inspection. Running lights are not required on a car older than 15 years here in Canada so the car should not really fail over front parking lights not working, but you never know, I hear the inspectors can be quite fussy. They might insist that all lights function as they would have from the factory. I doubt they would think the front parking lights should be on or off when the headlights are activated but they will likely notice that the rear taillights come on when the headlight switch is at the first (parking) position but there is nothing happening at the front. 

Thanks for all the feedback on this issue.

~ Mark

Date Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 4:50pm
Good luck. I think it should pass! Hard to understand what might have happened to those front sockets, if you can't get the correct bulbs in. But unless you run into a fussy inspector, don't lose any sleep over it!

-------------

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 10:26am
I suspect the problem with the seating of your 1157 bulbs in the parking sockets has to do with dirt or corrosion build up within the socket below the phenolic contact plate. This is preventing the contact plate from moving downward as the bulb is inserted. This build up is likely preventing the springs on the contact wires below the plate from compressing as the bulb is pressed in. I would try removing the housing from the bumper and soaking the inside of the socket with a penetrating oil like PB Blaster or WD-40. You should be able to easily push the contact plate down into the socket and feel it being pushed back by the springs below. You can help this process along by pulling back on the wires exiting the rear of the lamp socket while simultaneously pushing in on the contact plate.

As for the parking lights staying on with the headlights, AMC changed the parking light wiring to keep the parking lights on with the headlights which became the norm for just about all American cars from 1969 and up. This may have been a federal requirement for safety reasons. This was a simple change as all they had to do was combine the parking light circuit with the tail light circuit. A simple modification to the headlight switch can be done to keep the parking lights on with the tail lights on 68 and earlier cars. All that needs to be done is to solder a short 1" wire jumper to the bases of the "P" lug and the "R" lug of the headlight switch. This ties the parking and tail light terminals together. A simple paper clip or a short piece of bare copper wire ( like the bare copper ground conductor in simple household Romex wire )works fine for this purpose. The jumper is thin enough so that it will not interfere with the seating of the harness plug into the switch.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 11:19am
Thanks George!

I did spray a little WD-40 into one of the sockets thinking that things might need a little lubrication underneath the phenolic plate to work properly. I was leery of putting too much in there as I wasn't sure if it would affect the electrical connection. The plates do depress on each socket but likely not far enough to allow the 1157 pins to rotate at the correct location (for some reason I can get the LED in there).

How are the housings removed from the bumper? Do I simply pull back on the housing from behind the bumper or do the housings need to be rotated in some fashion? Once the housings are removed can you access the area below the phenolic plate?

Regarding the headlight switch modification, that's a great idea. Looking at the TSM it doesn't appear too difficult to remove the switch however with these old cars you never know - didn't think I'd have issues changing a bulb :) According to the TSM you depress the shaft release button to release the switch shaft and knob assembly. Do you know if this release button is easily accessible?

I noticed on your signature that you've owned all your AMCs (except the Javelin) from new - very cool!

Date Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 11:54am
The parking light housings have two studs that secure it to the bumper with 2 nuts accessed from the back side of the bumper. I think that if you take the housings out (it's easy) and work on them "on the bench" that you'll be able to get the contact plates moving freely. You shouldn't need to get behind the contact plate. You just want to clean things up in there, get it moving freely and then clean and dry it out. The contact plate should have about a 1/4" of in/out travel. Don't worry about the WD-40 or the PB Blaster affecting the connectivity. Once you get this moving as it should you'll be able to get any remaining residue out of there with some solvent, compressed air or even a couple of rags.

As for the headlight switch, it's easiest to remove the instrument cluster and possibly the tach first to gain easy access to the headlight switch body. Pop the battery cable off and then simply pull the headlight knob out after pressing in the release button on side of the switch body. There's a bit of a detent there but it will slide out with a wiggle or two. Once the knob and shaft is out you can unscrew the retaining nut from the front and the switch will be free to unplug.

If you've never removed the instrument cluster before that's easy. Reach up behind the dash to the left of the steering column and feel for the speedo cable going into the back of the speedo head. Unscrew by hand the locking collar on the end of speedometer cable and pull the cable out an inch or so from the back of the speedo. Then remove the plastic instrument cluster hood and remove the 4 screws holding the instrument cluster to the dash. Drape a thick towel or something soft over the steering column so that you don't scratch the top of the column when you pull out the instrument cluster. You can only pull the cluster out a couple of inches until you can reach behind and unplug the round wiring harness connector from the back. You may have to unplug the parking brake warning light socket if it didn't pop out already. Once the cluster is out you should should be able to get to the headlight switch release button. If the tach is in the way you may need to simply unscrew it and pull it away from the dash to get some clearance.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 12:40pm
Right, actually I've had one of the housings out (via removal of the 2 3/8 nuts), I thought by 'housing' you meant the blown plastic piece with the wires that go into the assembly from the back.

OK I will look into removing the gauge cluster, I was thinking of doing that anyway since the tach is not working. There is no light in that pod either. Not sure if just the bulb is out or if there is no power to the tach. The fuses look OK. Any idea if the tach requires power to work? I remember hooking up aftermarket tachs years ago, 3 wires, one to ground, one to the battery and one to the coil. Perhaps the lead to the battery was only necessary for the tach light, not sure. It's an HEI distributor on this car, I checked the 'Tach' connection on the distributor, there are wires are plugged in there.

Speaking of the speedo cable, while I was poking around underneath the car I noticed the cable actually sitting on the exhaust, the insulation was melted through (hopefully it still works). I wrapped electrical  tape around it and pulled it away from the exhaust with a zip tie. It's still pretty close to the exhaust though, a couple of inches away.

I've come across quite a few loose connections on this car, I didn't have any backup lights but found that the connection to the switch at the trans was loose. One of the headlights was super dim, again a loose connection. The horns didn't work either, a connector was off at each horn. All pretty easy fixes so far, except the parking lights of course.

Date Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 2:25pm
The factory tach has a separate socket with a single bulb. The socket may have popped out of the back of the tach or the bulb may be burned out But.. in order for the tach to light the tach housing has to be grounded. When you take off the dash hood to expose the instrument cluster you should see a little flat copper jumper between the upper left instrument cluster mounting ear and the right mounting tab for the tach.
As for the tach operation, it has it's own two wire (yellow & blue) harness that connects the tach in series with the regular ignition coil. I have no idea if the factory tach can be used with an HEI setup. I suspect not. I'm sure there are those here on the Forum that can advise you.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 11:59am
Looking at the wiring diagram in the 68 TSM I see that there should be 2 wires to the parking light, a brown one and the black ground. But according to the TSM there is also a white wire that connects the two parking lights. When I poke my head under the front bumper and take a look at the wiring setup for my parking lights, I don't see a white one. There is a brown one and two black ones (one for ground to the stud on the housing). Did someone substitute a black one used instead of a white one? Now I'm wondering if the whole car has been rewired using wires with different colors then what is shown in the TSM. ACK. I also noticed that the TSM says that the side marker lights should come on with the parking lights. They don't, but do come on with headlights.

I do think all the wiring is new and I see a Ron Francis fuse block under the dash but I would have thought that the colors on the wires would agree with the TSM.

At this point I am thinking I will likely have to pull the headlight switch and solder a wire between the two terminals as George suggested so that when the taillights are on the parking lights will be on. I'm wondering if I am going to find that there isn't even a wire going to the headlight switch for the front parking lights. Time will tell.

I emailed Ron Francis to find out if I could get any information on their fuse block. I don't see a reference to an AMC fuse block on their site, only GM, Ford, and Mopar.

Date Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 1:30pm
Don't make any wiring modifications to the headlight switch just yet ! If you have an aftermarket fuse block and the related wiring then everything that I spoke about may be incorrect. I suspect the Ron Francis wiring does not completely conform to the way AMC wired the car. You may not even have the original AMC headlight switch. The fact that the side markers are tied into the headlight circuit tells me that the way the car is wired it's not correct to the way AMC configured the wiring. The side markers should be tied into the taillight circuit and license plate circuit. The headlight switch has a separate parking light terminal which shut off when the headlight switch was pulled all the way out for headlight operation. The separate parking light feed was abandoned in 1969 when the parking lights were tied to the tail light circuit. The tail light circuit goes hot whenever any of the light positions are selected.

The parking lights in your 68 have two circuits. Parking light and turn signal. On the parking light socket pigtail the black wire is for the parking light filament and the brown wire is for the turn signal filament. On the wiring harness side of the connector the yellow wire (left side)and the brown wire (right side) are the turn signal feeds. The white wire is the parking light feed, common to both sides. According to the 1969 TSM wiring diagram the side marker feed wires (blue w/ tracer) are tied into the white wires going to the parking light circuit. The "P" terminal on the headlight switch is unused and the parking light feed (white) wire is tied into the "R" terminal of the headlight switch. The parking light housing is the ground return path through the bumper.

If anyone here has a 68 TSM please check the wiring diagram. I suspect that the parking light circuit (white wire) is connected to the "P" terminal of the headlight switch and the side marker feed (blue w/tracer) is tied to the "R" terminal along with the blue wire leading to the tail lights.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO TIE ANY OF THE OTHER LIGHTING CIRCUITS INTO THE HEADLIGHT CIRCUIT. ("H" terminal of the headlight switch)

The headlight switch has two power feeds. One (not fused) direct from the battery terminal side of the starter relay. This goes to the headlight switch "B1" terminal and is just for headlight power. The headlight switch has a built in circuit breaker for the headlights. The other power feed comes from the fuse block (Park-Tail fuse) and and provides the power for the other exterior lighting circuits including the dash lights. This feed goes to the "B2" terminal of the headlight switch.   

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 3:28pm
Yes, looking at the TSM I can see that the white wire goes to the P terminal on the headlight switch, the side marker wire (blue with tracer) goes to the R terminal.

I don't actually see a white wire anywhere in the real world.

Might be a new switch, worn knobs look original though.

Date Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 6:24pm
I'd have to assume the new fuse panel came with a bunch of new wiring. I doubt that the Ron Francis package follows AMC's color coding.I have no experience with any of the aftermarket wiring systems and how the either replace or integrate with the various AMC factory installed harnesses.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 9:42pm
The aftermarket wiring job explains why several things are not working as we would expect! Like George, I have no experience with non-factory wiring, so just will wish you good luck with exploring what you have, and sorting out what needs sorting!

-------------

Date Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 12:05am
Thanks, I have contacted Ron Francis, they will send me the documentation associated with their fuse box and wiring. I'll get those parking lights working eventually!

Date Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 7:40pm
I'd like to check out the side marker bulb but I'm not sure how to get at it. Would I pull out the wires from the back or do I need to remove the 2 screws that attach the light to the fender?

I received the Ron Francis wiring diagram today so have a better idea as to what is connected to what but at this point still no parking or side marker lights (except when the headlights are on). I can see the appropriate wires are running to the parking lights and the side marker lights. Not sure at this point if they are  attached to the correct terminal on the light switch. I've been hoping that I will not have to remove the switch but I probably will have to. The switch itself is actually supplied by Ron Francis.

I'm assuming the led lights being used as parking bulbs are not causing any issues.

Thanks.

Posted By: Heavy 488
Date Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 7:53pm
68, 69 AMX doesn't have replaceable bulbs in the front markers.
If it blows out, just go to the dealer and pick up another lampLOL

Date Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 8:15pm
OK, thanks for the info!

Date Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 8:29pm
I you want to test the bulb in the side marker I'd suggest simply unplug the connector from the back and use a ohm meter to check for continuity or a pair of clip leads and a 9 volt battery to verify the bulb is good. These are one piece and they simply snap in the chrome frames from the front side. If you try to pop them out from the rear you're likely to snap off the ends of the amber lens when doing so as they become brittle with age.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 5:48pm
Got the parking lights working finally. Removed the dash overlay and the tach which gave me access to the taillight and parking light wires. I spliced the parking lights into the taillight circuit so now the parking lights are on with the headlight switch in either position which works for me.

Only the side indicator light not working properly. There is a light but very dim. The other one is fine.

Date Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 6:27pm
By side indicator do you mean the amber marker light on the front fender ?
If so, make sure the plug in connector contacts on the back side are clean. You should have battery voltage (12 volts) going to it when the lights are on. I suppose you could simply have a marker with a blackened bulb.

-------------

Date Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 9:19pm
Hi, yes, the amber marker light on the side of the fender.I noticed it flickering in the past, now it just faintly glows. 

I will check on the things you mentioned.

Date Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 10:21pm
I pulled the connector out from the back. There is a tiny led bulb in there. I pushed and turned on the bulb and suddenly it was super bright. Then I reinstalled. Looks good now but might just loosen off on the first bump. Thanks for your help.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net