Print Page | Close Window

2020 Hot Rod Power Tour

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Upcoming Shows and Events
Forum Description: AMC related shows, auctions or events go here. Announce club events here.
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103749
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 3:08am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2020 Hot Rod Power Tour
Posted By: nbarr
Subject: 2020 Hot Rod Power Tour
Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 7:03am
Just made hotel reservations for Power Tour. Planning to do the full route in the Rebel. Anyone else going this year?

Replies:
Posted By: FritzF3
Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 8:38am
We're taking at least two cars. My 70 BBO AMX and my friend has a Chevelle. Not doing the long haul, though.

Posted By: Ohio AMX
Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 8:40am
Every year I read the coverage in HRM and it looks like a rolling traffic jam of mostly newer Vettes, Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros.

-------------
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983

Posted By: tufcj
Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 8:55am
It's something on my bucket list.  Not going  to happen this year.  I wish they'd head further west.

Bob
tufcj

-------------
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Ohio AMX Ohio AMX wrote:

Every year I read the coverage in HRM and it looks like a rolling traffic jam of mostly newer Vettes, Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros.

From people that I've talked to that have been on it, that's pretty true. They'll say how great it is but when you ask questions about how the traffic is, they'll admit that's it's bad. If they've been on it several times over a span of years, they'll also tell you that it's gotten to big and should have a limit on the amount of cars allowed on it but that won't happen because it's now about the money. It use to be on my to do list but I've heard enough that I'll pass.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Posted By: wcamp70
Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 11:28am
Our group is going again this year. Weve done the long haul the past two years and had a blast. While there are number of newer cars on the tour, the "real" cars certainly outnumber them. The satisfaction of completing the tour in a 50 year old car that you built yourself is enough for us. The traffic issue has not been much of an problem that we have seen. Overall it is a well run event for its size. We love seeing the country from the backroads instead of the interstates. We will be in our 70 AMX again this year.

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
68 American 401 200r4 auto
AMO #5013

Posted By: nbarr
Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 1:05pm
We went in 2012 and had a great time. The traffic is an issue and that was a major downside that year since we were driving an SRT10 Viper truck with a racing clutch. I was actually limping at the end of one of the days because my leg was so cramped up. Otherwise I'm good with an endless parade through small town USA. The Rebel is an automatic with A/C so bring it on!

Posted By: 232jav3sp
Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 3:48pm
It's something that I would like to do, but have an Alaska cruise to pay for. Maybe next year?!

Posted By: motorhead_1
Date Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 5:25am
it's on my list when i get my rebel done

-------------
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra

Posted By: 70,71,72 AMXS
Date Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 9:08am
 Last years route on the last day was 10 miles from my house. Took my '67 American and started out late, stopped for lunch one town before the end location. We got there after the rush and drove right in. Actually worked out great!

Date Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 11:43am
We have found that planning and timing your departure and arrival times each day greatly reduces your problems. We have only had a few problems with traffic and one of those was a major accident two years ago that brought all traffic to a stand still. We found an alternate route after a short delay.
Only a few venues had delays to enter. Like I said, planning ahead of time helps eliminate a lot of headaches.
We look at the week as an adventure and enjoy it as it happens.

As with anything else in life, it is what you make of it. 

We usually see a dozen or two of AMC's each year. Have met some great people.

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Posted By: 70,71,72 AMXS
Date Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by wcamp70 wcamp70 wrote:

We have found that planning and timing your departure and arrival times each day greatly reduces your problems. We have only had a few problems with traffic and one of those was a major accident two years ago that brought all traffic to a stand still. We found an alternate route after a short delay.
Only a few venues had delays to enter. Like I said, planning ahead of time helps eliminate a lot of headaches.
We look at the week as an adventure and enjoy it as it happens.

As with anything else in life, it is what you make of it. 

We usually see a dozen or two of AMC's each year. Have met some great people.
Enjoyed talking to you at Summit. Love the two seater, it's very nice.

Date Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 1:52pm
Yeah, nice meeting you too. We'll be back at Norwalk to start the tour this June.

-------------
70 AMX 360 5speed
AMO #5013

Posted By: Bruce Clarkson
Date Posted: Jan/28/2020 at 3:57pm
Those of you considering the Power Tour:
For whatever it's worth my wife and I did the Long Haul two years ago.  We had a great time.  Some of the venues were better at getting traffic into the evening shows/parking.  Some were pretty efficient.  As we're really more cruisers than anything else, we got a little tired of the show venues by the time we were done but, still, we enjoyed the overall event. 

During the legs themselves, we did not mind the traffic too much.  We were in it with a lot of interesting cars.  Things were a little bunched up at some gas stations but we had good range and so just skipped the worst of them.  The only exception was when the highway dudes closed a piece of interstate in SC that the tour was routed over.  Oh well.  Who could know? 

Of course, we weren't driving anything other than a stock vehicle so when it was hot (and it was hot waiting to get into the venue in Alabama), we just relaxed and ran the A/C.  We were content to cruise with the flow at the speed limit or a touch more.  Keep in mind that the cops know the route too.

Anyhow, we enjoyed the routing.  We enjoyed the people.  We enjoyed the ride.  It was a good time.

My only advise (other than to just go and have a good time) is to make sure your vehicle is setup and maintained suitable for this length of summer trip.  We saw a number of mechanical difficulties with overheat being the largest batch.  Some vehicles just were not up to the challenge.  Take a vehicle that has the bugs already shaken out and is comfortable for long hauls at more or less legal speed. 

Enjoy.

Bruce Clarkson

-------------
Bruce Clarkson

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net