Print Page | Close Window

"New Pertronix Ignitor III Done"

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Garage
Forum Name: AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
Forum Description: AMC-made V8 engine mechanical, ignition and fuel from basic repair to high-perf modifications
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10306
Printed Date: Apr/18/2024 at 1:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "New Pertronix Ignitor III Done"
Posted By: TorqueyAMX
Subject: "New Pertronix Ignitor III Done"
Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 12:08am

“NEW” Pertronix Ignitor III Electronic Ignition Conversion is now available for AMC'sClap.

Pertronix now has their new Ignitor III module available for AMC/Delco Distributors. The new module has 5 times the available energy as compared to a points system and has a built in Rev Limiter on the module. Pertronix has 3 levels of electronic ignition conversions so it is important to chose the right unit based on your needs and application. Recently, I took my distributor over to Pertronix so they could design a proper module mount for the new Ignitor III unit to work with the unique AMC/Delco distributor breaker plate. It took a little R & D to sort it out but it is set to go and will cover the installation here. I will also cover the Ignitor and Ignitor II units as an aid to help you chose which one will work best for you. 

INSTALLATION:

The new Ignitor III module works off the points cam so there is no need for a magnetic ring under the rotor like the Ignitor and Ignitor II system. With regard to the resistance wire built into the AMC wiring harness, it is important to know, Pertronix says BOTH the Ignitor II and Ignitor III systems want a full 12 volts to operate at their maximum potential. At the same time, I will tell you I have run the Ignitor II system in my car for several years now with 10 volts at the coil with the factory resistance wire in place and have had no problems with a 400 plus HP 360 that revs freely beyond 6000 RPM. However, the Ignitor III unit is another matter. IMPORTANT: The New Ignitor III ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES A FULL 12 VOLTS TO THE COIL, PERIOD!  In other words, if you want more juice, you gotta cut it loose! You should make sure and check the voltage to the coil on your car before you make a choice on a system. As resistance wires age, their resistance can increase over time. Resistance wires or ballast resistors were installed to reduce the voltage to the points to keep them from burning up.  

Below explains the three levels of Pertronix Electronic Ignition conversions (Ignitor, Ignitor II and Ignitor III) and show what might be best for your car. I will also provide installation instructions especially for the NEW Ignitor III system and offer suggestions as to how to deal with wiring for a full 12 volts for the Ignitor II and III systems if that’s what you feel you need. I also recommend you get a matching coil for the system you choose especially for the Ignitor and Ignitor II. They are available in black or chrome.

Ignitor:  Part No. 1181 This is the basic points replacement unit and has 2 times the energy of points and the resistance wire is not an issue whatsoever. They can be run with a stock points type coil or a Flamethrower 40,000 volt Coils available in 1.5 or 3.0 resistance values and available in chrome or stock looking black. This unit works fine with a stock engine. Ignitor units operate off of a magnetic wheel that mounts underneath the rotor. You will have to make sure to take any end play out of your distributor to maintain the proper gap.

Ignitor II: Part No. 91181 The next level has 4 times the energy of points between 3000 and 5000 RPM operating at it’s full potential working with 12 Volts and features Adaptive Dwell. My experience is that the Ignitor II will work fine without bypassing resistance wire for stock and mildly tweaked pump gas engines up to 400 HP, just not at full potential. I would recommend however you check the available voltage at the coil with the ignition on to check the health of your resistance wire before making a choice. If you have about 10 volts, you should be good to go. I had originally tested my Ignitor II at both 10 and 12 volts and didn't notice any difference. An Ignitor II low resistance coil is recommended. Ignitor II 45,000 Volt coils are .6 ohms resistance and available in chrome or stock looking black. The Ignitor II units also operate off of a magnetic wheel that mounts underneath the rotor. You will have to make sure to take any end play out of your distributor to maintain the proper gap.

Ignitor III: Part No. 71181  (Summit Racing Part No. PNX-71181) 5 times the energy of points between 3000 and 5000 RPM operating at it’s full potential and has a built in Rev Limiter. It also features Adaptive Dwell and Multispark. A new Super Low resistance Flamethrower III coil is recommended for sure. The Flamethrower III 45,000 volt coils are low .32 ohm resistance, quick charge, and available in chrome or stock black. The Ignitor III units operate off the points cam. With it’s additional features including Multi-Spark, the Ignitor III must have a full 12 volts to the coil to operate properly, period. The unit also senses startup increasing voltage and adjusts the timing which can come in handy on an engine with a lot of initial timing in it. (The matching Flamethrower III Coil is under Summit Racing Part No. PNX-44011 for Black, and PNX-44010 for Chrome).

Now: What is Adaptive Dwell?

Ignitor II and Ignitor III ignitions utilize adaptive dwell. These micro controlled ignition systems maximize spark energy a different way than the HEI's. The newer Ignitors samples coil current levels just prior to spark, and uses that information to make adjustments to the dwell time in order to reach peak current levels.  At low rpm when the actual time between sparks is greater, the dwell is started much later in the cycle to reduce system heat. At higher RPM's when the time between spark is short, the dwell is started earlier.  The Ignitor II and III systems adapt to most any coil and attempt to reach maximum current by adjusting the dwell angle. HEI ignition systems use a current clamping method to make sure that maximum energy is reached for high RPM's. The module charges the coil and clamps the current at the level designated in the module design. The module holds that charge until the time of spark. At low rpm when the time between sparks is longer, this can result in significant heat buildup in both the module and the coil. Duraspark systems are similar to HEI in that they have a maximum current that is clamped.

What is Multi-Spark?

Ignitor III multi-spark  - The Ignitor III system uses 60-70 % of the spark energy created to produce the primary spark and immediately follows that with the remainder of what is in the coil. It's not the same thing as a CD multi-spark system which stores the energy in capacitors.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR IGNITOR III:

Below shows the installation of the new Ignitor III unit in place of the Ignitor II system I currently have on my car.

This photo shows the NEW Ignitor III unit with a mounting plate that will work with both GM/Delco and AMC/Delco distributors. NOTE: If your kit does not look exactly like this one with the extra plate, you have the wrong kit. You may want to remove the distributor to make the job easier but it can be done on the car. I suggest you use a magnetic screwdriver to lessen the chance of loosing a screw.

Below is the Ignitor II system currently in the car. The base Ignitor unit is the same style using a magnetic wheel under the rotor. As I mentioned earlier, if you use one of these two systems, make sure you take any end play out of the distributor. You can check it by twisting the rotor and pulling up slightly. To solve the problem you can pick up a Delco distributor shim kit at most any parts store and place the shims between the bottom of the distributor housing and the distributor gear.

Below is the Ignitor II module and the magnetic wheel with the rotor removed. If you decide on the this style Ignitor or Ignitor II and installing the unit, slide the magnetic wheel through the holes as show first, then install the module.

Now with old points/condenser or other equipment removed, attach the Ignitor III mounting plate on the side opposite the vacuum advance with the two supplied Phillips screws. It will line up with the original holes and the dimple on the plate. This should be where the points used to be.

Attach the Ignitor III module to the plate with the two supplied small screws. While you're at it, double check your ground wire seen here attached to the vac advance bracket to make sure it's a good connection.

Route the wires under the breaker plate and through the hole in the base of the distributor.

Slip the wires through the rubber grommet and install the grommet in the hole in the base of the distributor. This is easier with the distributor out. If you install it with the distributor in the car, you may want to take a side cutters and make a slice in the grommet to aid in installation.

Route the red and black wires to your coil and cut them to the length you like. Crimp the supplied terminals to the wires and attach the red wire to the + terminal and the black wire to the – terminal of the coil along with your wire from power to the + terminal on the coil and tach wire if you have it.

REV LIMITER ADJUSTMENT

The Rev Limiter is factory set at 5500 RPM. It can be adjusted anywhere from 4000 RPM to 9000 RPM. To adjust it to your liking:

1. Turn the ignition key to the “ON” position without trying to start the engine.

2. Turn the Rev Limiter screw “Clockwise” until it stops. THEN, turn the screw “Counter Clockwise” until it stops. A slow blinking LED light will tell you it is ready to set.

3. Start turning the screw “Clockwise” then stop and observe the LED light. The LED will blink slow flashes for each 1000 RPM and quick flashes for each 100 RPM. (EXAMPLE: 5 slow flashes and 8 quick flashes = 5800 RPM). If you haven’t reached your limit, turn the screw “Clockwise” just a bit more and count again. If you go too far, turn the screw back just a hair and count. Once your reach your Rev Limit, allow the LED to cycle through the flashes at least 3 times to verify the correct setting. Once complete, TURN THE IGNITION OFF! This tells the unit the adjustment is complete. The engine will NOT start if you don’t turn the key off to set the unit. To disable the Rev Limiter, simply turn the screw to the fully “Counter Clockwise” position.

Install your cap and rotor, start the car and set your timing as per proper instructions. Since this unit reads off the points cam, no magnetic trigger wheel is needed under the rotor.

RUNNING A FULL 12 VOLTS:

Ballast Resistors and Resistance Wires were installed in old points systems to reduce the voltage to the points and keep them from burning up. Electronic or high energy ignitions do want a full 12 volts. It’s up to you with regard to how you install either the Ignitor II or Ignitor III systems. Again. The Ignitor III system requires a full 12 volts to operate. My experience with the Ignitor II is that it will run fine on 10 volts to the coil with a healthy resistance wire. If you have a stock engine or a mildly modified pump gas engine (less than 10:1 compression) and are a street cruiser, you can leave it alone. You would probably not notice any difference in bypassing the resistance wire. If you are a serious racer maximizing your horsepower, you most likely will want the Ignitor III unit and change to a full 12 volts along with the new coil. Pertronix also has high energy “Stock Looking” 7 mm wires for AMC’s They look just like the original factory wire sets. The plug boots are even the same.

There are two ways to do it.

One would be to trace your coil wire back to the fuse block and tie into that IGN terminal a new separate 12 gauge copper stranded wire bypassing the resistance wire. You don’t want to remove the old wire from the connector at the fuse panel since I believe that wire also ties into the voltage regulator and alternator. You have to tie into IGN ON Only, not ACC.

The other way is to intall a Power Relay System as shown below. This would give you a full 12 volts to the coil without messing with the fuse panel or resistance wire. It uses a relay from Radio Shack Part # 275-226. I would suggest you make the break at the coil wire running from your harness to the coil. If you still have your insulator tube that the coil wire runs through, you can hide the cut within the tube, then save the other half of your original coil wire if you ever want to put it back. You could mount the power relay under starter relay. Making the cut at the coil wire after the harness should also insure you will have no effect on the voltage regulator and alternator.

For additional information, you can go to http://www.pertronix.com - www.pertronix.com

Replies:
Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 5:19am
Great Info - Thanks.

May I ask, how does one make an "informed decision" selecting between
the (3) or (4) Pertronix Coils, not counting black or chrome, oil or epoxy filled,
meaning selecting between 0.3 Ohm, 0.6 Ohm, 1.5 Ohm, or 3.0 Ohm ?

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Posted By: poormansMACHINE
Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 7:40am
There's a coil application guide at the bottom of the coil section in their catalog.

Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 8:17am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Great Info - Thanks.

May I ask, how does one make an "informed decision" selecting between
the (3) or (4) Pertronix Coils, not counting black or chrome, oil or epoxy filled,
meaning selecting between 0.3 Ohm, 0.6 Ohm, 1.5 Ohm, or 3.0 Ohm ?

It's best to pick the coil designed for the particular unit especially concerning the new Ignitor III module. The new Flamethrower III coil was designed specifically for the new module. As an example: let's say you decide on an Ignitor II system and run it without changing to a full 12 volts and you install the 0.3 Ohm Flamethrower III coil, the new 0.3 Ohm Coil doesn't like it! It also wants a full 12 volts. The Flamethrower II coil works perfectly with the Ignitor II at any voltage. The Flamethrower III coil is compatible with the Ignitor II module run at a full 12 volts.

So:

Ignitor plus   Flamethrower or Flamethrower II coil.
Ignitor II  plus Flamethrower II coil. (OR Flamethrower III coil if you run the Ignitor II at a full 12 Volts.)
Ignitor III  Plus Flamethrower II BUT Flamethrower III recommended.

These will make the most of your system.

-------------

Posted By: billd
Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 9:00am
Anything special needed like a good heat sink grease, etc.?
Does it ground through the distributor plate?

-------------

http://theamcpages.com" rel="nofollow - http://theamcpages.com

http://antique-engines.com" rel="nofollow - http://antique-engines.com

Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 9:15am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Anything special needed like a good heat sink grease, etc.?
Does it ground through the distributor plate?

Yes Bill it grounds through the distributor plate. I added that it's a good idea to check the ground wire attached to the vac advance for a good ground. No grease should be needed.

I guess I was the "Test Dummy"LOL for this unit. Every time Pertronix comes out with something for AMC's, a box shows up at my doorTongue.

More stuff coming this summer in a month or two.

-------------

Posted By: bigbad69
Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 10:07am
Torquey,

Could you explain what you mean by "2/4/5 times the energy of points"?

Since points (or modules) are essentially switches, there is no energy in them. You can't get an energy increase by changing a switch. I'm assuming the energy gains you quote are in the coil. So it's not the conversion kit used, but the coil selected that dictates the energy gain. Could you, for example, use a Flamethrower III coil on an 1181 ignitor kit?

-------------
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10

Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 10:46am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

Torquey,

Could you explain what you mean by "2/4/5 times the energy of points"?

Since points (or modules) are essentially switches, there is no energy in them. You can't get an energy increase by changing a switch. I'm assuming the energy gains you quote are in the coil. So it's not the conversion kit used, but the coil selected that dictates the energy gain. Could you, for example, use a Flamethrower III coil on an 1181 ignitor kit?

You are right to a certain extent. It is a combination of both and how much energy (Voltage) is delivered to the system and how well the unit be it points or electronic controls the coil operation at various RPMs. Of course points were limited by voltage, floating at high rpm along with precise dwell control. And yes, say an Ignitor or Ignitor II will operate with an OEM coil but it will work better with a lower resistance performance coil. As for the super low resistance (0.32 Ohm)45,000 Volt Flamethrower III coil, it was designed to work with the Ignitor III module and I did do some testing with it combined with the Ignitor II module operating at 10 Volts with the resistance wire in place and it DID NOT work. If you operate the Ignitor II and the Ignitor III at 12 Volts, the Flamethrower III coil will work fine. The 45,000 Volt Flamethrower II (0.6 Ohm) coil seems to work either way at 10 or 12 volts and with either the Ignitor II or III. When I tried the III coil on the Ignitor II coil at 10 volts, the car ran very rich and as soon as I put it in gear, it would die every time. Changed it back to the II coil and everything was Hunky Dory again. I'm not sure why that is but am certainly going to find out. When you have a fixed level of energy to work with, you can only take it so far. After that, you need more to take it to the next level. I think it has more to do with a system that operates at peak efficiency and maximizes the energy available and is able to deliver it precisely. Just as an out of tune engine does not put out the peak power it is capable of.

Below are a couple of graphs that may help especially regarding "Adaptive Dwell" and how it affects coil performance. It even shows how different the module works with an OEM coil and a Flamethrower coil. The graph deals with the Ignitor II system. The III unit is a brand new system

-------------

Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 11:08am
I will be updating this thread early next week with additional information on how the new Ignitor III system works. From what I understand from a brief conversation with the Pertronix engineering guru, it has some unique elements to it especially in comparison to an HEI system and how it energizes the coil. He is going to email some new information on Monday.

When the Ignitor III was ready, I received one of the very first Delco units since the head Pertronix guy knew I also had an AMC. He wanted to know if it would work. The breaker plate is unique to AMC with the exception of an older Buick V6 distributor. So that's why I sent him my distributor so they could redesign the system to work with everything. He has been making efforts to make stuff for AMC's.

-------------

Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 12:04pm
I will toss this out..... The coil needs to be fully saturated to be effective. That means the magnetic lines of force ALL the way through the entire coil - all windings, and a stronger magnetic field depends on the electrical power as well. Points can limit that power due to their limitation on current handling (ever seen blue points?)
Even the best coil isn't the best if the coil isn't fully saturated with magnetic energy. That takes TIME.
 The switch as far as points can only handle so much current AND there's time limit because they have to be open so long to come far enough apart - because of mechanical limitations. A good coil is going to be able to product peak spark only at lower speeds due to the dwell situation. At higher speeds, there's not enough time for the coil to be fully saturated. The magnetic lines of force haven't made their way through the full coil windings, and will start to collapse too soon.
At lower speeds, no real problem - you also don't really NEED the higher energy because it's easier to fully and properly ignite the charge at lower speeds.
Conditions are nearly perfect - there's time, full saturation, and low load so the charge takes less energy to fire.
Of course there's some marketing involved here, too. If the engine is properly tuned, mixture right, etc - you'll never need all that coil energy. Just because it can put out 75KV doesn't mean it ever will.
Once the plug gap is overcome, the voltage STOPs building. But if the coil is fully saturated with a big field, it will take time for that field to collapse, and it contains more energy so the spark duration can be longer.
It takes time to build the field, and it takes time for it to fully collapse. You may never use the voltage, but a fully saturated coil means more energy for a longer spark duration.

-------------

Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 12:59pm
See Bill, Aren't you glad you took Mr. Wizard's Class!LOL Think he knows how to lay out historically correct '69 Trans Am Stripes?Hammer Head

-------------

Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 3:49pm
They always leave some important word out of advertising and that word is  potential.
It has the potential to hit the advertised voltage but probably never will. Several issues dictate this. Few of them being plug gap, rotor to cap gap, cylinder pressure of the engine at the time of ignition.
Would there be a difference in performance between a 50k volt and 75k volt on a stock engine? Not likely.
Same idea that if you upgraded your 35 amp Motorola alternator to a 200 amp unit and the only option you have in your car is the Motorola transistor radio. It's not going to release any more amperage than the original since power demand never changed..

Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 5:12pm
It's all kind of based on your equipment and your needs. It's like an 850 carb without a cam. Like a big cam without headwork. Like Headers with a single exhaust. Like 800 watt amps powering a cassette player with Wal Mart "Loss Leader" speakers! Choose wisely specifically for your needs. Sometimes overkill can be a dissappointment.

Based on testing, I would say I could see improvement with the Ignitor III with the full 12 volts, higher compression, plug gap change, plug wire change, and other parameters to maximize what is installed. It's why Drag Racers do the things that they do!

-------------

Posted By: amx39068
Date Posted: May/03/2009 at 10:52pm
But the bottom line is having too much charge from the coil is not a bad thing whereas having too little charge is not a good thing.  So if you have too much who cares.  It sure beats not having enough.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Date Posted: May/04/2009 at 6:59am
But the folks with street or street/strip engines worry about not producing 150,000,000,000 volts and how their car won't start well enough and all that CRAP.
I'm trying to get some FACTS out there, the hi-perf folks have everyone running scared with marketing hype for high-performance ignition junk, I'm trying to prove and explain why most folks don't need a $300 ignition system, it simply is NOT needed.
And as far as too much - fine, but why? If their engine does require so much spark, then they have other SERIOUS problems. I'd rather not mix hype and mis-information with plain fact.
That's the reason for telling folks like it is.
Yeah, Torquey - the drag racers are pulling much higher RPM - very hard to saturate a coil at those speeds.
Now you wanna talk stereo equipment - we can do that, too! I used to compete in the Alpine car audio contests.............. never did better than 2nd, mostly 3rd place, but not bad on my farmer income level of, well, annual losses! LOL. I was competing with some high-dollar stuff.
It's amazing what you end up hearing from your favorite bands when your system has the power to properly and faithfully reproduce it. Too much speaker and you under-drive them. Too little speaker, too much amp, you over-drive them, distortion up the wazoo. There's a system that needs to be balanced.

Anyway, I'd love to see one of those new ignition systems first-hand - that's probably the direction I'll eventually go, when I get the Eagle parts paid for....................

-------------

Date Posted: May/04/2009 at 8:38am
I am sure you realize that I was not talking about 150,000,000,000 just suggesting that if it exceeds what is needed for a given application it won't hurt anything but if it is below what is needed it can cause problems.  Likewise with the alternator example, having a 100 amp alternator won't hurt anything.  Agreed that the excess may not be used but it also is not an issue if you have that extra capacity and never use it.

-------------
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development

Date Posted: May/04/2009 at 9:26am

It's amazing what you end up hearing from your favorite bands when your system has the power to properly and faithfully reproduce it.

Yeah Bill but a good system still won't make Brittany Spears sound any better!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May/04/2009 at 8:25pm
After a long talk with the head electronics guy at Pertronix, I thought I'd update this thread both on this end and at the front end as I learn more about this brand new Ignitor III system and how it compares to other types. I'll keep it simple where novices can grasp the concept along with technoids. This is what I've learned so far. I've also updated the beginning of this post with this new information so if you've already read this, never mind!

If you check out their website, you will see various features listed for each system. For the Ignitor II and Ignitor III units, you will see, "Adaptive Dwell"

Ignitor II and Ignitor III utilize adaptive dwell. These micro controlled ignition systems maximize spark energy a different way than the HEI's. The newer Ignitors samples coil current levels just prior to spark, and uses that information to make adjustments to the dwell time in order to reach peak current levels.  At low rpm when the actual time between sparks is greater, the dwell is started much later in the cycle to reduce system heat. At higher RPM's when the time between spark is short, the dwell is started earlier.  The Ignitor II and III systems adapt to most any coil and attempt to reach maximum current by adjusting the dwell angle. High Performance low resistance coils are a must for Ignitor II and III.

Compared to HEI systems

HEI ignition systems use a current clamping method to make sure that maximum energy is reached for high RPM's. The module charges the coil and clamps the current at the level designated in the module design. The module holds that charge until the time of spark. At low rpm when the time between sparks is longer, this can result in significant heat buildup in both the module and the coil. Duraspark systems are similar to HEI in that they have a maximum current that is clamped.

What is Multi-Spark

Ignitor III multi-spark  - The Ignitor III system uses 60-70 % of the spark energy created to produce the primary spark and follows that with the remainder of what is in the coil. It's not the same thing as a CD multi-spark system which stores the energy in capacitors.

-------------

Date Posted: May/04/2009 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by TorqueyAMX TorqueyAMX wrote:

It's amazing what you end up hearing from your favorite bands when your system has the power to properly and faithfully reproduce it.

Yeah Bill but a good system still won't make Brittany Spears sound any better!LOL

uugghh - you HAD to use that example? LOL..........

-------------

Date Posted: May/04/2009 at 8:46pm

uugghh - you HAD to use that example? LOL..........

Could have been worse! Could have used "Mrs. Miller" from the Ed Sullivan days if you remember her!

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 12:38am
Thanks for all the effort TorqueyAMX.  Sure you've heard the old saying

" 95% of Carburetor problems are Ignition problems " Cool

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 12:49am
Amen to that.  My worst "carb bog" ever was actually caused by a worn set of points!

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 6:46am
And my hesitation was solved with 2-3 more degrees of initial advance............ not that the carb doens't need work, it does. But it is no longer embarrassing from a stop light.
TOO FEW folks know how to use and read a scope. Anyone with these cars should get familiar with that pattern and WHAT it means.
You can even diagnose fuel problems if you get really good with a scope.
Scope and vacuum gauge will tell you most anything you need to know about an engine and its condition.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 8:13am

TOO FEW folks know how to use and read a scope. Anyone with these cars should get familiar with that pattern and WHAT it means.
You can even diagnose fuel problems if you get really good with a scope.

Like this?
http://www.thebakken.org/artifacts/database/artifact.asp?type=category&category=N&id=1667 - http://www.thebakken.org/artifacts/database/artifact.asp?type=category&category=N&id=1667

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 8:40am
Dude - TOO much time on your hands! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 8:49am
It's been a learning process with the new unit. Pertronix has alway been good to me over the years with new products showing up at the door. When the new module showed up, must have gone through a half a tank of gas testing with different components and different voltage levels. It was also nice for them to redesign the unit itself so it would work with AMC distributors. I wanted to know exactly how it would work at different levels so folks could make the right choice based on their application and what they want their car to do. If they make the right choice, chances are they will never be dissappointed in the product and they'll still have hair on their head from not pulling it out.

Yesterday Pertronix went over to Speedomotive to do a little testing on a 500 plus HP Chevy small block. They ran baseline pulls on the engine with an MSD Pro Billet Distributor with an HVC Coil and a 7 Series ignition box. They then switched to their Ignitor III Billet Distributor and Flamethrower III coil and NO box and picked up nearly 10 HP. Not something you'd notice but it's there. He also toyed around with the voltage adding some resistors to see the effect and the numbers started dropping way off. Gots to have the juice to cut it loose!

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:15am
Do we have a pricepoint yet?
It's something I'd seriously consider.......
I'd even post scope patterns LOL - so ron can pick on me again.......

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:23am
So are these little gems now available for purchase?

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:31am

Do we have a pricepoint yet?
It's something I'd seriously consider.......
I'd even post scope patterns LOL - so ron can pick on me again.......

Bill,

I'll get a price today and post it. I just don't know. My cost has been the gas to take my distributor out to Pertronix and the gas to test it! "Ouch"!

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:36am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

So are these little gems now available for purchase?

Yes Dan they are available now. I would suggest trying to order it straight from Pertronix at this point. The unit part no. 71181 was JUST redesigned to work with both AMC and GM Delco distributors. Only about 30 units went out into the market with the previous design. The key in the correct unit is the adaptor plate that is shown.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:41am

Bill,

I'll get a price today and post it. I just don't know. My cost has been the gas to take my distributor out to Pertronix and the gas to test it! "Ouch"!

But look at all the fun you are having!  All we get to do is read about it!!!

So please explain a bit further about what would create the additional 10hp over the MSD setup.  You guys are into this stuff quite a bit deeper than my aging electrical engineering experience and I am not sure I have yet grasped how the MSD distributor would produce 10 HP less with all other things equal.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:54am
I like that they reduce low-speed dwell to keep the coil windings cooler and thus reduce resistance to a minor extent. Every little bit helps on a hot Iowa day on I235 or on Hwy 163 during the busy time.
There must be a lot packed into that tiny module.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 9:57am

So please explain a bit further about what would create the additional 10hp over the MSD setup.  You guys are into this stuff quite a bit deeper than my aging electrical engineering experience and I am not sure I have yet grasped how the MSD distributor would produce 10 HP less with all other things equal.

Don't know Dan. I got this information talking to him on the phone yesterday and in an email the same day they did the dyno runs so I'm sure he'll spend today analyzing. This unit is completely new so I'm learning as I go along. It's possible it has something to do with the adaptive dwell feature and how it helps the fast charging Ignitor III coil do it's job efficiently at high RPM. It could be the different way the Ignitor provides it's MultiSpark versus a CD multispark system which stores energy in capacitors. The peak HP numbers on this particular engine were at 5700 RPM (530 HP versus 538 HP between the two units) Torque also improved. I just figure the less electronics you can have in the mix, the less things there are to go south on you. MSD sent me a Billet Distributor and an 6AL box years ago but never installed it. Wanted to keep a stock but modified look for my era.

You may want to ask "Scotty"Wink

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 12:31pm

I like that they reduce low-speed dwell to keep the coil windings cooler and thus reduce resistance to a minor extent. Every little bit helps on a hot Iowa day on I235 or on Hwy 163 during the busy time.
There must be a lot packed into that tiny module.

I also think it's cool that the unit senses startup and adjusts the timing which may be beneficial to someone running a lot of intial timing especially when it's hot.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 12:34pm
So the Cap'n says I'll give you 15, and it really takes him 10.
That's how he's known as the miracle worker.....
He always pads by a factor of 3.

>>may be beneficial to someone running a lot of intial timing especially when it's hot. <<

So why would the car being stolen matter on startup timing?

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 1:03pm

So why would the car being stolen matter on startup timing?

"Uh, One Adam 12! See the man in Des Moines about a "Hot" Javelin. Be Careful, Vewy Vewy CarefulLOL

Bill.

The Ignitor III unit is now listed at Summit Racing and Jegs. Summit price is about $122.00
Summit Part No. PNX-71181

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 2:04pm

My cost has been the gas to take my distributor out to Pertronix and the gas to test it! "Ouch"!

But look at all the fun you are having!  All we get to do is read about it!!!

Actually, it wasn't that much fun. A lot of "In and Out", In and Out", In and Out", trying new things to satisfy it's needs and make it peak at the right time!

I prefer doing the major other thing those particular parameters apply to!Wink

Can't really ask a car, "Was it good for You"?

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 2:27pm
Now you see why I've been a software and hardware beta tester for so many years.
It's fun to try to make things break and not follow rules, etc.
The manual says uninstall version 1.xx first. So when the new beta comes, I don't uninstall version 1.xx first and let's see what happens when a real consumer does what they do best - ignore the book.

Unfortunately for me, that's a whole bunch more than the crane system was - by over $40.
Hmmmmm.  Not saying it's not worth it, but I may have to re-think that.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 2:42pm

Unfortunately for me, that's a whole bunch more than the crane system was - by over $40.
Hmmmmm.  Not saying it's not worth it, but I may have to re-think that.

Bill,

That's why I put information about ALL 3 levels of ignition systems. The one main thing about the Ignitor II and Ignitor III that they share in common is the "Adaptive Dwell" and how they adjust themselves. How they read is different and the Ignitor II doesn't have the multispark feature and the rev limiter. It is however, less money and seems to work fine if you don't want to convert to a full 12 volts. Just depends on what you want your car to do and how fast you want to get to West Des Moines!LOL

My Ignitor II has been trouble free for a few years now and they are still here and expanding. I think they also sell through NAPA.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 2:53pm

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.  One of the SC/Ramblers I am putting together to  is going to be a cross ram setup so the best ignition setup for the money is a good thing.  On the other hand, for an everyday driver the additional snazzy features seem like overkill.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 3:11pm

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.  One of the SC/Ramblers I am putting together to  is going to be a cross ram setup so the best ignition setup for the money is a good thing.  On the other hand, for an everyday driver the additional snazzy features seem like overkill.

Dan,

If you're doing a 10 plus compression 390 Cross Ram setup daily driver or not, you certainly would want to make the ignition as efficient as possible. It will simply run better and cleaner.

Will it be stock looking or slightly modified? By June or July, Pertronix will have a billet distributor with the Ignitor III setup for AMC's with no box. I know it will be better looking than the MSD unit. Pretty bright shiny objects.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 3:18pm
Is warp 9.3 fast enough?

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 3:28pm

Is warp 9.3 fast enough?

Bill,

So what you're saying is, You CAN change the Laws of Physics?

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 3:31pm

Dan,

If you're doing a 10 plus compression 390 Cross Ram setup daily driver or not, you certainly would want to make the ignition as efficient as possible. It will simply run better and cleaner.

Will it be stock looking or slightly modified? By June or July, Pertronix will have a billet distributor with the Ignitor III setup for AMC's with no box. I know it will be better looking than the MSD unit. Pretty bright shiny objects.

Most all of my stuff is in the 9.9 to 10.3 compression range with the lower being on stock style pistons and the higher being on flat tops style pistons but that is not what I was really referring to.  The key for the SC/Ramblers is to have a setup that looks as stock as possible and perferrably something within the stock distributor housing.  For a normally built engine that get blasted once in a while, I suspect that the Pertronix II is probably more than adequate.

For the SC/Rambler that I am keeping as my own, I am planning to put my fire breathing street drivable engine in that one with the engine being right at 10.2 but with a pretty big cam that will hopefully bleed off some of the static compression and would be interested in the Pertronix three unit for that car.  On the other hand, my AMX keeper is mostly stock but with some nice aftermarket upgrades with a decent cam, those gorgeous polished Eddy valve covers, one of the custom polished oil filler tubes and cap with a 390 on the cap, Air Gap intake and a great looking finned Eddy air cleaner that matches the valve covers.  It has later model 993 heads with a resulting compression ratio of around 9.7 - 9.8 due to a decked block and planed heads.  For that one I have a brand new self contained Unilite dizzy that is all nice and purdy like what you are describing for the Pertronix unit although if I didn't already have the new Unilite, I would be all over the Pertronix dizzy when it comes out.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 3:59pm
As a side note, in the new Summit catalog just recieved,
the UniLite conversion kits are now priced as $59.95,
now less than the Crane XRi at $64.88.
The UniLite kits used to be like $89 or $100 iirc.
Sounds like the Pertronix III has some things over the others now.
But looks like the Crane XRi price advantage influenced changes to the UniLite Kit price.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 4:09pm

Most all of my stuff is in the 9.9 to 10.3 compression range with the lower being on stock style pistons and the higher being on flat tops style pistons but that is not what I was really referring to.  The key for the SC/Ramblers is to have a setup that looks as stock as possible and perferrably something within the stock distributor housing.  For a normally built engine that get blasted once in a while, I suspect that the Pertronix II is probably more than adequate.

For the SC/Rambler that I am keeping as my own, I am planning to put my fire breathing street drivable engine in that one with the engine being right at 10.2 but with a pretty big cam that will hopefully bleed off some of the static compression and would be interested in the Pertronix three unit for that car.  On the other hand, my AMX keeper is mostly stock but with some nice aftermarket upgrades with a decent cam, those gorgeous polished Eddy valve covers, one of the custom polished oil filler tubes and cap with a 390 on the cap, Air Gap intake and a great looking finned Eddy air cleaner that matches the valve covers.  It has later model 993 heads with a resulting compression ratio of around 9.7 - 9.8 due to a decked block and planed heads.  For that one I have a brand new self contained Unilite dizzy that is all nice and purdy like what you are describing for the Pertronix unit although if I didn't already have the new Unilite, I would be all over the Pertronix dizzy when it comes out.

Dan,

I did this one for a friend recently. The engine was already body color. Basic but clean.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 5:00pm

Dan,

I did this one for a friend recently. The engine was already body color. Basic but clean.

Very nice!

Those are same great looking valve covers that I have which look even better with the matching Eddie ribbed air cleaner and the billet oil cap with "390' machined into the top the cap.  I will hopefully get things all installed and get some pictures out within the next week.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 5:17pm

Very nice!

Those are same great looking valve covers that I have which look even better with the matching Eddie ribbed air cleaner and the billet oil cap with "390' machined into the top the cap.  I will hopefully get things all installed and get some pictures out within the next week.

Dan,

Are you talking about the "Cast" finned air cleaner?  That's a pretty new item and looks nice. The Eddy Valve Covers look good but look small. A year or two ago they sent me out a set of finned valve covers and Shotry Headers. The valve covers were way out of wack. They sent me 3 sets before I sent them an original valve cover and a bunch of photos to show them a major core shift problem. I think they redid the mold and fixed the problem. I ended up putting MY Eddy valve covers on my friend's car and kept my Offy's Both sets stay dry as a bone with no oil leaks. If you want to add a showy but racy look to your Cross Ram SC/Rambler, try some Black Oxide Intake Bolts. It adds a kind of neat texture depending on how you finish it out.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 11:05pm
I have the old Edlebrock cast finned air cleaner with the the tops of the fins painted black and with the big round matching blackand polished nut for the top.  I haven't seen an air cleaner like the old one I have in many years and when combined with a drop down air cleaner base, it looks terrific on top of the polished valve covers that are identical to the ones you showed in your picture.  I am putting that setup on my AMX.  The cross ram SC/R is going to go on the A Scheme car that I am building for the collector who is buying the tag team twins that I posted pictures of on the restoration forum about.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 11:35pm

I have the old Edlebrock cast finned air cleaner with the the tops of the fins painted black and with the big round matching blackand polished nut for the top.  I haven't seen an air cleaner like the old one I have in many years and when combined with a drop down air cleaner base, it looks terrific on top of the polished valve covers that are identical to the ones you showed in your picture.  I am putting that setup on my AMX.  The cross ram SC/R is going to go on the A Scheme car that I am building for the collector who is buying the tag team twins that I posted pictures of on the restoration forum about.

Here's what Edelbrock currently brought out to match their Classic Valve Covers.
Mooneyes also has a no name finned polished air cleaner as does I believe O'Brien Truckers.

-------------

Date Posted: May/05/2009 at 11:48pm
The one I have is ribbed accross the entire top of the Air Cleaner lid with allen head screws all the way around the outside.  I really like the way it looks a lot and will hopefully get a picture up within the next couple of days. 

BTW, it matches up very nicely with a polished and finned rear differential cover I also have not yet installed but I suppose the only person who would probably have a chance to enjoy both at relatively the same time would be some poor slob I run over while running around without the hood on!

-------------

Date Posted: May/06/2009 at 12:10am

The one I have is ribbed accross the entire top of the Air Cleaner lid with allen head screws all the way around the outside.  I really like the way it looks a lot and will hopefully get a picture up within the next couple of days. 

BTW, it matches up very nicely with a polished and finned rear differential cover I also have not yet installed but I suppose the only person who would probably have a chance to enjoy both at relatively the same time would be some poor slob I run over while running around without the hood on!

I use the O'Brien Truckers no name finned air cleaners on dual quads setups. 354 Early Hemi and 425 Buick Nailhead.

-------------

Date Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 1:07am
Helping someone choose an ignition upgrade, always come back to this thread
and all the detailed information TourqueyAMX so graciously provided.
Thought while here I'd ad this picture showing AMC & Chevy Point Plate shape differences,
between AMC and Chevy the Points and Condensor are on opposite sides of the Point Plate.

-------------

Posted By: RB401
Date Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 1:24pm
Just curious, but how does the Ignitor III compare to an MSD 6 or other CD style ignition.  I would assume that the CD box has the cabability of providing much more spark energy which, if needed, would provide for a smoother idle, better accelleration, etc. 

My car has a uniform compression of about 175-180 psi per cylinder, but nevertheless a few cylinders have oily plugs.  I picked up an MSD 6 and MSD distributor a few years ago on EBAY assuming I would likely need the spark energy. Never had any problems with these MSD parts and the car runs fine. But, if I can get rid of the MSD box and wiring and run a Pertronix distributor with the Ignitor III with no loss of performance, I would be inclined to do it. Any thoughts?

-------------
'73 Javelin AMX, 401, T5

T5 Swap Page: http://mysite.verizon.net/amxjavelin/t5swap/t5swap.html

Date Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 7:18pm
Back there somewhere in this thread Tourquey typed about during PerTronix III development
that they had a 350 Chev on a Dyno with a full MSD set-up, did a baseline pull,
then removed all MSD stuff, PerTronix III installed, picked up 10 HP it says......

-------------

Posted By: 348AMX
Date Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 12:13am
Bumping this up since it seems like there are a few installs of pertronix right now that people could use help with and reference this info.

Posted By: hoosieramc
Date Posted: Nov/20/2016 at 10:01am
So will the Igniter three work with the factory tachometer in a 69 AMX?

-------------

Posted By: waltl
Date Posted: Nov/22/2016 at 5:01pm
My factory tach quit working after Ignighter III install. 1970 Javelin.
Walt

-------------
Walt L.

Posted By: scguy390
Date Posted: Nov/23/2016 at 9:04am
When I installed the Igniter III in my 1969 SC/Rambler and my 1971 SC360, the tach in both cars needed to be replaced.
Haven't had any problems with either car after installing the Igniter III. The IgniterIII has been in the SC/R for 12 years with no problems.

-------------

69 SC/Rambler
71 SC360     
72 Gremlin

<

Posted By: 8ton
Date Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 7:19am
Are all of the Igniter III Delco units compatible with the AMC now? Or do we still need to pay the premium of ordering directly from Pertronix?

Posted By: 53w
Date Posted: Feb/26/2017 at 2:30pm
I ordered mine thru summit or jeggs. Amc was not listed but they do sell them...i asked why they dont list much amc stuff. Operator said if vendor makes amc version of any of there products we can get it, we just dont stock it.

Date Posted: May/12/2018 at 3:41pm
Thought it "ok" to bump this May 2009 post back up top with current recent posts May 2018.
My how times "change"... now $159+ for Mallory UniLite Conversion and $124+ for PerTronix III ! 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net