Forum Description: Your latest numbers, events you attended and more
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103019
Printed Date: Apr/19/2024 at 3:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: southside machine traction bars
Posted By: amxstv
Subject: southside machine traction bars
Date Posted: Nov/30/2019 at 8:39pm
went to a flea market and scored a set of ssm traction bars tagged 2-seater AMX for $10 dollars.....guy said I was doing him a favor, hes tired of lugging them around....came home and googled ssm and cant find any info on bars for AMX...anyone know if they were ever offered for amc...and are they anything special....or did I just loose 10 bucks...thanks in advance ...amxstv

Replies:
Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Nov/30/2019 at 8:50pm
Yes they did. Woosterkevin has a set on his car. He worked for them back in the day. I think he has pictures of them in his build thread in the members section.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Posted By: WesternRed
Date Posted: Dec/01/2019 at 3:40am
They are probably worth their weight in scrap, but still a cool and valuable piece to you if you have a need for them.

-------------
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.

Posted By: nda racer
Date Posted: Dec/01/2019 at 8:28am
My buddy had then on his 76 Gremlin back in the 1990s.

IIRC I think they were for 71-73 Fords. I know he either needed new rear springs, or these weren't angled right. The length was fine. The car sat a good bit higher in the back on the bars, that wasn't right or good. He ended up snapping the rear eye off the spring.

Posted By: amxstv
Date Posted: Dec/01/2019 at 4:12pm
so on a street car...69 amx 390 4-spd...can I expect a rough ride with these installed..amxstv

Posted By: Steve Obertanec
Date Posted: Dec/02/2019 at 7:38pm
Yes they made many for AMC's, They were an Ohio company & are actually back in business but are not making any AMC stuff. I tried to buy the blueprints & patent but their response has been slow.....

When adjusted properly they work exceptionally well. I run them on my Gremlin & my nephew on his Sprit.Matts cars 60' is in the 1.3's with a 10.5 tire.

-------------
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com

Posted By: 70BBOAMX
Date Posted: Dec/02/2019 at 10:20pm
Nice Launch!

Posted By: 1968Javelin343
Date Posted: Dec/03/2019 at 9:05am
Steve,
Could you post photos and dimensions of the bars so we have the option of fabricating them?

Thanks!

-------------
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343

Date Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 7:30am
The only bars we have are on cars. It would be hard to get accurate dimensions right now. There are other brands still in production. Some for amc. We have also bought ones that were not for amc & made them fit & they work fine as well. They're usually cheap at swap meets. 

-------------
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com

Date Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 7:37am
https://southsidemachine.com/%20" rel="nofollow - https://southsidemachine.com/

Call them up! Maybe if enough of us bug them they will make a few sets. 

If you dont find them cheap, it's worth looking at Caltracs.  At least their adjustable shocks. The make a world of difference. 

-------------
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com

Posted By: xspiriment
Date Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 9:55am
I have a new set sitting in the back of my Spirit never used and the instructions. I photo a couple of pics and post. Steve is right the cal tracs look so much better and aren't that much. I bought my SSM bars 20 years ago when I started building my bracket car and many things have interfered from then till now. I will work on getting some of the dimensions to you guys. Mine of course were made for the spirit body and not sure if the AMX were different. I do know the spring pads are made for a 3" axle tube not the amc 20 size tube. I keep working at my spirit hope to have it going next year. Wish I had your drive line specs steve, the spirit looks great. You bought an old R4B manifold long ago from me hope it worked for you, Anyways I will keep you guys posted. Thanks Paul

Date Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 10:12am
Great reply Paul.... I still have the R4b as well. 

The Spirit is my nephews. It's a simple combo that's been refined & improved over the years. It aims a 360, stock strokes, internal balance, k1 rods, wiseco flat tops, comp .575 solid cam, eddy heads with 2.125 intake valves, torker intake, alky carb. 

It has a 9" ford with I think a 4:56 or 4.86 gear, powerglide trans with about 5800 stall BTE converter. Viking double adjustable coil overs up front & Calvert adjustable shocks on back. He just went 6.52 @ 102 in the 1/8 last weekend in Piedmont NC. 

My gremlin is similar but stock heads with stock size stainless valves no port work. .566 Comp hyd cam, 5200 stall, single adjustable coil overs up front. I have been 6.62 @ 102 in the 1/8. 

-------------
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com

Date Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 11:46am
Thanks for your car info, slightly more than what I am putting together. mine is a 360, crane .555 solid wiseco flat top and molnar rods 291 heads, torker 3500 stall and 4.30  mopar rear end. Hope to be in the mid 11's 1/4 mile. I may not have enough stall at 3500 we'll see what happens.

Date Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 11:53am
Here the SSM pics and a quick drawing of some specs. Of course drawing not to any scale. Spring mounting plate is 3/8 thick and there are 1/4 support plates from bar to spring plate on each side and is fully closed at the rear of bar.

Posted By: 1968Javelin343
Date Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 3:20pm
Paul,
Thanks for the dimensions and photo!
Bryan

-------------
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343

Posted By: Woosterkevin
Date Posted: Dec/05/2019 at 11:00am
Yes they made them for AMC, I worked for them 20+ yrs ago.The original SSM closed its doors somewhere near 2000, but GForce bought the rights to reproduce a lot of their stuff unfortunately not anything for AMC again not enough demand to warrant the cost to buy the tooling and prints.

Posted By: javelinken
Date Posted: Dec/06/2019 at 3:52pm
I have a set I would be willing to sell they were on on my javelin as mock up when I had a 8 3/4 mopar rear under it . I went coil overs with ladder bars when I put the Dana 60 under it . So they were never used . Pm me if interested my phone won’t let me post pics or I would. 

-------------
1968 javelin sst 1966 rambler classic convertible. Now up to 3 quarter midgets

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net