Print Page | Close Window

'74 AMX "Steve," the re-build begins

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Lounge Area
Forum Name: Member Projects
Forum Description: Are you doing a restoration or in the middle of a major AMC project? Show and tell us about it (*AMC projects* only Please. Others may be moved)
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101388
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 2:00pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: '74 AMX "Steve," the re-build begins
Posted By: 3250man
Subject: '74 AMX "Steve," the re-build begins
Date Posted: Aug/12/2019 at 11:46am
OK, this post should put me at 30 points (MODS, true statement?) so, I should be able to begin posting picks of my build. It's the '74 AMX that I wrote about in the General AMC Chat Forum under the heading, "The AMX That Came to Be."
I'm only using my side of the garage (and the driveway) and built shelves and installed numerous hooks to hang parts on. No big shop or whole garage to use. Got to be real inventive to use all the space as efficiently as possible. Whatever works. I'm giving myself 3 years for the restoration, as that's when I retire for good. No rush. Plan to drive in in the annual parade that May as there was only one '69 AMX  to represent AMC. Gotta' fix that. 

Jim

P.S. Car's named Steve because that's the name I use when I go to a place that takes your order, then asks for your name to call when the order's ready. I don't want them calling out my name, so I just started using "Steve" as my name. Drives my wife and daughter nuts. Always named my cars too: My first '74 red P-code AMX was named MAX. 

Replies:
Posted By: 69BBB3904spAMX
Date Posted: Aug/12/2019 at 1:09pm
I had a friend in college that did not use his real name for places that take your order then call out your name... he always told them his name was "The Great Santini!"

-------------
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer

Posted By: 67 Marlin
Date Posted: Aug/12/2019 at 8:21pm
Yup, 30 posts for a Steve photo. Let's see Steve!

Date Posted: Aug/12/2019 at 11:30pm
Dang! I'd post the pics, but the smallest size single pic I can get is 4 MB! That's straight from the laptop (transferred from the cellphone). How in tarnation do I get the pic size down to KB's? I read the "pic posting" thread and I don't use an online photo storage site. Photobucket ain't free anymore, least as I can find. 
I'll keep trying.

Posted By: Mopar_guy
Date Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 7:13am
Originally posted by 3250man 3250man wrote:

Dang! I'd post the pics, but the smallest size single pic I can get is 4 MB! That's straight from the laptop (transferred from the cellphone). How in tarnation do I get the pic size down to KB's? I read the "pic posting" thread and I don't use an online photo storage site. Photobucket ain't free anymore, least as I can find. 
I'll keep trying.

You need to resize them. I use http://www.irfanview.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.irfanview.com/ It's free and simple to use. I generally resize mine to 30% of the original and they show up nice on here.

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 9:23am
Will do, thanks (again) Mopar_guy!

Date Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 2:14pm
I think I got a work-around for now:
I was able to use the "Snip It" tool and capture subject of the pic. Only used about 40KB per pic. Nice! Once I get home, I'll post some pics to test if this option will work on the site.

Date Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 9:48pm

This is Steve - finally home in the driveway.

Date Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 9:51pm

Here's what I found for an interior. Man, this is gonna' take some time. The white stuff is baking soda - for the smell! Seller put it there, not me.
Still have to figure out how to post more than one pic in a post. I'm old  .  .  .

Posted By: mixed up
Date Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 12:09am
that looks clean you want inspiration read the post on Wooster Kevin's car good luck on your project saving another amc

-------------
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont

Date Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 12:08pm
Yeah, I read his entire thread a while back. Awesome work. I'm probably somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and I don't think mine is that far gone. Haven't welded since high school (over 40 years ago) and I've got a buddy that's certified welder that going to QA my work. If it's major, he's stepping in. I'm a former military aircraft electrician, so I think I've got that taken care of. Build sheet is no where to be found. Good thing is the stainless trim is darn near all accounted for and in good shape. 

Date Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 12:03am
Found this when I was taking the interior apart. Inside the glovebox door. Made me sit back and think about the crazy stuff that happened in my prior AMX.  Gonna' keep it for nostalgia.

Posted By: Ollie
Date Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 7:23am
Looks like you and "Steve" are in for an adventure.......Wink

I have started with worse looking projects. Looking forward to your project and progress. You will be a picture taking and posting expert in a couple of weeks. Do all you can yourself, you will enjoy the ride better when you're done. 

Remember, the whole deal is to have "AMC FUN" !!!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

-------------
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd

Date Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 11:44am
Thanks Ollie.

By the way: I also found a small mini-wallet pic of (possibly) the young lady, who's name is written on the glovebox door. It was under the console. 

Also gathered a total of 87 cents - start of the body work fund  .  .  .

Date Posted: Aug/17/2019 at 5:21pm
I don't' think some gas n new plugs will bring this back to life.

Got a little cancer and rust to deal with. Found a panel on Ebay, not sure the price where it should be.

Front end is off. Couldn't get the bumper unbolted, so I had take off the supports.

Date Posted: Aug/20/2019 at 8:05pm
Driver's floor pan (white stuff is the baking soda), looks solid, but   .  .  .?

Passenger floor pan, will replace.

Rear passenger - yup, new floor pan!

Driver's rear passenger, well; maybe a new floor pan.

401 to the machine shop this weekend, current 360 and tranny coming out next weekend.

Date Posted: Sep/09/2019 at 10:11am
A little bit of progress on Steve. I've been sidelined with the summer cold/flu that's going around here. Nasty stuff. I was able to order parts and have them headed my way.
Pulled the engine/tranny this weekend. By the way, for those that haven't pulled a '74 Javelin engine with the transmission attached: When the TSM says to plug the transmission speedometer cable hole before removing the transmission - please do so! I drained the transmission fluid, but forgot about plugging the hole. Luckily, I put drip pans under the car and caught most of it. Would have made a heck of a mess otherwise. 

I was debating Prothane or Moog rubber front suspension parts - decided on Moog. Yeah, I know it's not as tight as poly and supposedly doesn't last as long, but I ain't no spring chicken and hope to last as long as the Moog parts Smile 
Onward  .  .  .

EDIT: Transmission guy said I am to refer to it as "a transmission or an A727" - not a tranny. Whatever!

Posted By: PABLO
Date Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 2:27pm
Hi,
You have a nice car, just need love.Smile
I´ve a 1973 AMX in Spain. The forum is a real good help for me. I´ll be happy to help back if I can. 
Pleasse keep on post photos of your progress
bye

-------------
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)

Posted By: 67 Marlin
Date Posted: Sep/10/2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by 3250man 3250man wrote:

By the way: I also found a small mini-wallet pic of (possibly) the young lady, who's name is written on the glovebox door. It was under the console. 

Also gathered a total of 87 cents - start of the body work fund  .  .  .

Carchaeology rules.

Date Posted: Nov/26/2019 at 11:20pm
Steve update:

Got the interior panels including inner/outer rockers.

This is what the driver's brake assembly looks like. Tried to get the caliper off, but it's stuck solid. Got some work to do.

Same side spring and shock. I'll try and clean up the spring - or replace it. New shocks for sure.

So I took the driver's front aft fenderwell plastic shield off and it looks like a mouse/rat nest inside. Surprisingly, the shield is intact. Didn't take off the one farther aft of it. 

A727 transmission is back from the tech. He did an awesome job. Couldn't get the valve body to work right, so he had to change it, total rebuild of the (stuff) inside and it also needed a new torque converter. Nothing fancy.
Before:

After:

Working with Steve of Kennedy American for all the brake parts and I've touched base with javjav about part(s) for the power brake conversion. I got a power brake booster support bracket from Eddie Stakes, but I need many more brake parts - starting with the correct(?) power brake pedal. All new brake lines will be on order next month. 

Plan is to work my way from the front of the car to the back. Working my space and priorities. I've also got all the front suspension parts, Moog - yup rubber not poly.

Oh, also going to learn to weld (again). Last time was in high school (70's). Co-worker is a nuclear qualified welding Instructor and is charging me by the 6-pack :-} 

Onward  .  .  .

Jim

-------------
1974 Mellow Yellow N-code AMX (restoring)- "Steve"
2016 Chevy Colorado (RIPP supercharged V6)
1973 Corvette
1974 Trans AM Red P-code AMX

Date Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 9:16am
As a word of advise when you open up the rockers, there's a center support in there as well and it's a structural piece, so if it's bad, it needs to be replaced. Nobody makes it but it's easy to reproduce. You can what it looks like in this thread. http://theamcforum.com/forum/untouchable-the-lakeville-javelin_topic91622_page3.html" rel="nofollow - http://theamcforum.com/forum/untouchable-the-lakeville-javelin_topic91622_page3.html
Those holes in there are not just holes. They're sort of flared out so they're strong. When you get to that point and you need to make some, ask on here for some advise. Several guys have replaced them.
Also, be sure to support the car well before you cut all that material out!

-------------

" http://theamcforum.com/forum/hemilina_topic95889.html" rel="nofollow - Hemilina " My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin

Date Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 10:42am
Thanks Mopar_guy. A while back someone recommended I review Woosterkevin's project, which I did. I refer to those body work pics so I have a reference when I need one. I'm a "visual" learner, so I gotta' see it. 
I have one of those micro-endoscope tools that I can bluetooth view on my phone. Pretty handy gadget. It has an integrated lighted tube that I can place in small tight places on the car. I was able to get it down into the rocker panel "holes," but I can't get pics of the area. Doesn't look like the center support is toast, but we'll see once I open them up. Will definitely post pics.

-------------
1973 Corvette

Date Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 11:42am
OK, glad you know about his thread. Thumbs Up  PM him if you need more pictures. I'm sure he'll be glad to help you.

-------------

Posted By: Woosterkevin
Date Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 6:57pm
Yes, I will be happy to help in any way.

Date Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 9:59pm
Update:  After surviving 2 rounds of the flu during the holidays, I was able to work on Steve again. Finally got the front fenders off. I was very curious about how bad the troughs might be. Well, as you can see below:  Dang, I think I got lucky!  Not sure how so much dirt and debris got in there, but after several garden trowel scoops, vacuum and wire brush - I think they're in good condition. Tap test: Sounds solid on both sides, not rusted through.
  Also, got the brake calipers off (they have the big "A" on them). They're on their way to Jeff at Kennedy American. In addition, I got a brake booster and master cylinder (from a forum member - THANKS).
  Now, I gotta' figure out how to get the power brake pedal off its original bracket (donor assembly) and swap it to the current assembly. The donor housing is way different than the one I currently have (manual front disc brakes.). EDIT: Duuhh! I got the brake pedals swapped. Just had to let the pin-to-bushing soak overnight. Took a break and a couple of beers to coax them apart. 

Driver's side (before)

Driver's side after

Passenger (didn't get an after) same condition as driver's

-------------
1973 Corvette

Posted By: RSX 401
Date Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 5:35pm
Sorry to hear about the double dose of flu. A single round is bad enough.

You're very fortunate on those troughs. Usually, that kind of debris will attract and hold moisture resulting in serious rot. Congratulations.

Keep us posted........

-------------
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....

Posted By: LakesideRamblin
Date Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 9:03pm
Good work-progress.  That "tranny" Tongue looks like you can eat of it.  Nice.

-------------
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt

Posted By: Scene One
Date Posted: Jan/29/2020 at 8:56pm
I like it!!! great project looking forward to following along.

B.P.

Posted By: 70,71,72 AMXS
Date Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 1:22pm
A lot of work, but looks great.

Date Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 5:12pm
I'm back at work on Steve ('74 AMX) and I'm RETIRED for good! Stepped away from my last job in June this year. Now I can work on the car full time. 
Been a while since my last post here. Survived COVID and am doing a little bit of progress on the car every day. Next post I'll include some pics of the passenger radiator support and frame area and I have to ask for some expert advice. I have an idea of what's needed, but I am not a sheetmetal expert. If it's above my head, please let me know. 

-------------
1973 Corvette

Date Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 5:28pm

These photos are of the front passenger frame and part of the radiator support area. I've got more pics of the support rear area-it'll need some replacement areas. Battery acid pretty much ate the metal away in the battery compartment area (as posted previously) and it looks like I need to do some frame area patch work. My plan was to get some flat stock, cut out the bad frame rail area and weld in the patch. The 2 holes in the frame are under the attachment form the radiator support piece I'm replacing. The top area of the fame, front to rear, is really pitted. The oblong dark area on the frame isn't a hole, I just couldn't remove the finish with my sander. The front end support brace is welded to the radiator support. I know it's not a structural support piece, but I can lift the front end up by myself, it ain't heavy. I've got some parts in the truck to keep the front end lighter. 
Let me know what y'all think. 

-------------
1973 Corvette

Date Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 5:40pm

Sorry for the weird arrangement. I tried several times to get them lined up correctly but no joy.
This is the lower radiator support, right side, looking forward. I saw a post about someone rebuilt this with square stock but I don't have access to a bender. Can I just remove this front sheet metal part and replace it? It's really thin metal; doesn't seem to be 18 gauge. By the way, 18 gauge sheet metal, around these parts, ain't so easy to come by. I can find loads of 16, 22, 24, etc. Just no 18 gauge. I've got floor pans for all 4 floorboards so I might just use some of that. I don't need all of it for my floorboard repairs. 
Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.  Jim

-------------
1973 Corvette

Date Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 6:34pm
No matter how I rotate/save these pics, the site keeps displaying them in this format when I download them to post.

While waiting for the sheet metal to show up, I decided to clean up the trunk area. Above pic is the driver's side. Outboard area will definitely need some repair along with the rear area. With no rain seal, the water pooled along the back edge.

Passenger side looks almost as bad. Hope I'll have enough sheet metal for these repairs. Don't think I'll need to the entire trunk floor, maybe just the extensions. Seems to me, the car was resting on the ground, mainly on the passenger side, as evident by the front end and trunk damage. Passenger floor pans are toast also and will be replaced. Working now to get the rear bumper off to get a better look at the area around the filler cap-pretty bad there, too. 

-------------
1973 Corvette

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net