Print Page | Close Window

68-70 AMX & Javelin Heater Control Cables

Printed From: TheAMCForum.com
Category: The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping
Forum Name: For Sale
Forum Description: *Member ads only please! *NO ILLEGAL ITEMS * NON-eBay items only. If it's not AMC, please mark it as such up front. Minimum 30 posts required for permission to post here.
URL: http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101032
Printed Date: Feb/22/2020 at 6:43am

Topic: 68-70 AMX & Javelin Heater Control Cables
Posted By: Greyhounds_AMX
Subject: 68-70 AMX & Javelin Heater Control Cables
Date Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 12:54pm
I just made up three more heater control cables for the 68-70 AMX and Javelin V8 with intake manifold mounted heater valve. $25 each plus shipping.

These have a slightly smaller housing OD than original, so aren't for concourse restorations, but are super smooth acting and durable. The center cable is stainless steel, and slightly thicker than original so it has less tendency to buckle. The outer plastic housing is steel reinforced and Teflon lined. I was shocked at how smooth the heater control feels with this cable (and a new heater control valve didn't hurt either).

I be making up sets of Temp, Def, and Air cables for non-AC cars pretty soon, need to order more materials.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Replies:
Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 12:59pm
With the smaller housing od how are they kept from sliding with the original clips that hold them stationery?

-------------
they call me Capt Fun.......!

Date Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 2:02pm
That's a good question.

My original heater cable had a plastic covering over a spiral wound wire core, and at each end the plastic material was removed for a few inches exposing the reduced OD of the wire core. That exposed are was the section that was mounted at the control panel and at the heater valve.

The plastic cable housing I'm using is approximately the same OD as the original spiral wire core, so it's a very nice fit at both the control panel end and the heater valve end.

Here's pic showing mine next to the original - 

Also the outer plastic is soft enough that the two little teeth on the retainer clip bite right into it and hold it rock solid at the control panel. All my old originals plastic ones were so hard and brittle I could never get them to stay put at the control panel, but these sure do.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: 6t8amxetc
Date Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:33pm
I will take one! Or reserve a "set" when you get them done if it's not going to be tooooooo long? SmileEither way works for me. Thanks...Ty

Posted By: turbo
Date Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:56pm
Looks good!

-------------
they call me Capt Fun.......!

Date Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:56pm
I was planning on starting to make up sets next month and list them here and on ebay when I get them done, so it won't be too long.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: MrGreen
Date Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 9:11pm
PM sent 

Posted By: mbwicz
Date Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 10:32am
So many ways to spend money....

Looks like quality stuff. Nicely done!

-------------
1970 AMX. Holy Crap its easy to spend money on this car!

Date Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 12:56pm
When I swapped in the new cable and new heater valve the feel was so different and took so little effort compared to what I had before that it was shocking. I had to look to make sure the heater valve was even moving.

Previously I had to grab the lever with both hands to try to mash it open, and invariably the cable would pop loose from the control panel or it would bend out at the valve. Eventually I ended up having to stop the car, open the hood, and manually turn the valve if I needed the heat turned on or off. Not any more!

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Ralph G.
Date Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 1:33pm
I also would be interested in a heater valve cable.

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 4:23pm
No immediate need but would you consider making up a custom cable of a different length (thinking of my Machine)?

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Posted By: green70AMX
Date Posted: Jul/19/2019 at 10:37am
I am also interested in a set of these when you get them done Thanks Robert

-------------
green70AMX

Posted By: maximus7001
Date Posted: Jul/20/2019 at 7:47am
Any chance of making any for a firewall mounted heater valve?

-------------
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2002 Chevy Malibu

1997 Honda Accord

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.

Date Posted: Jul/20/2019 at 11:34am
I'd be happy to make up cables for the Machine and for the firewall mounted version AMX & Javelin cars as well. The only trick is that I don't have those on hand to take measurements from, so I'd need you to do some measuring of your existing cables.

For each cable I'd need to know:
1) the plastic housing length, 
2) the cable length from center of one loop to the center of the other, 
3) if both loops are in the same "plane" of rotation or are 90 degrees off from each other. 

It works really nice to lay the cable out along a 2x4 and staple it down straight, then measure it. We'd want the measurements down to the 1/16" if possible.

So far the three cables used on the early AMX and Jav non-AC cars all have the loops in the same plane so I expect that's what we're going to see.

It looks like the same cable is used for Javelin six cylinder as is used for the firewall mounted valve on the V8 cars, part number 360 1561. That would probably be something alot of people would want.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: 6PakBee
Date Posted: Jul/20/2019 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

I'd be happy to make up cables for the Machine and for the firewall mounted version AMX & Javelin cars as well.

:boogie:

-------------
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Date Posted: Jul/20/2019 at 12:38pm
I'm not sure what the Machine cables look like, but hopefully they don't have any of the flat steel tabs on the ends like the 68-70 AMX/Jav AC car cables do. I hope to start making those eventually if there's enough interest, but I'm going to have to work up a cad drawing of the slotted tabs and get those waterjet cut.  

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Date Posted: Oct/06/2019 at 10:33am
I worked up a first shot at a tool to make nice z-bends, as I've been told those are needed for the 71-up Javelins, SC/Rambler, and Machines.

One I get some samples of real cables for those cars I can dial in the proper dimensions of the z-bend. But the good news is that this looks like a workable method.

Next I need to work up the sliding slot end used on the one cable for 68-70 Jav/AMX a/c cars. I'm thinking now that I should be able to 3d print a suitable end that could clip on to a cable, and that way avoid the cost of cutting a metal version.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Wingnut377
Date Posted: Oct/13/2019 at 6:49pm
Add me to the list for a set of 70 amx a/c cables, it's the only thing holding me up from installing my dash! Thanks, Thornton.

Posted By: DHACKING
Date Posted: Oct/26/2019 at 4:39am
i'll take a set of cables for 70 amx ac car...any and all you get made...thanx!

-------------
RAYMON H

Date Posted: Oct/31/2019 at 11:28am
I just finished a set of 70 Machine non-AC cables last night for a local club member who was nice enough to provide originals that I could take measurements from. They have little flags to tell you where to hook each one up to the control panel:

That same set would fit all 67-71 Ambo, Rebel, and Marlin without AC.

I'm also finishing up some early AMX non-AC sets tonight an will contact the folks that asked about those as I get them done. I'm looking for $50 a set plus shipping for the AMX non-AC set, and USPS large flat rate seems to be the best shipping option at $17.60. So total they'd be $67.60 shipped.

Also have made progress on the AC cables, as a nice fellow at work had a set for big cars so I've got all the dimensions to make those. They have bigger ends on some of the cables, and a slotted end on one. It'll be a little while longer before I'm tooled up to do those. Same with the early AMX with AC - I need to pull out the cables from my car to get dimensions yet.

I'm really happy to be making some progress on these - it seems that lots of people need them.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Texas275
Date Posted: Nov/05/2019 at 11:44am
PM Sent

Date Posted: Nov/16/2019 at 8:26am
Although I move kinda slow, I am still making progress on these. 

I've worked out the slotted end needed for AC cars and how to attach it to the wire. After about 9 iterations I've settled on a thickness and overall shape that's more than tough enough for the job, 3D printed in ABS plastic. I'm attaching the wire to the slot end by heating it and melting it in to the 3D printed part - it works really well. The wire gets and L shaped bend in the end beforehand, so it can't slip out regardless of how hard you pull on it. For a little more insurance I've added some acetone softened ABS to fill in the gap left by the embedded wire. It's not as pretty as I'd like, but it's incredibly strong and works great in my car.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Texas275
Date Posted: Nov/16/2019 at 8:53am
Got my cables yesterday. They are awesome. Thanks or making them for us. 

Posted By: DHACKING
Date Posted: Nov/16/2019 at 9:20am
thanx for the update...let me know when i can get a set of all cables for 1970 amx w/ac
btw...what is the purpose of the slot on the end...i've never figured out how the vent/a/c system works on these
thanx

-------------
RAYMON H

Date Posted: Nov/17/2019 at 7:57pm
The slotted cable end allows the link between the AC evaporator door and the defrost damper to move independently some of the time. I think it directs AC output to the defroster if you engage defrost while the AC is on. 

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Richard Markley
Date Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 12:44pm
Do you still have any heater control cables available for my '68 Javelin?  Thx, Richard

Date Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 1:55pm
Certainly! I keep materials on hand now to make up sets as people order them. Two questions for you though:
1) AC or non-AC car?
2) Intake mounted or firewall mounted heater valve?

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Richard Markley
Date Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 2:15pm
Yes its an AC car.  Valve is mounted on the engine.  

Date Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 9:33pm
I can do that set for you, in fact I believe I have one made up already. For forum members I charge $75 for the 4 cable AC set + $18 shipping, so $93 total. You can pay me via Paypal, my address there is cmgreyhounds@gmail.com.

Thanks!

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Rizmo
Date Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 8:51am
put me in for a set. 70, a/c, intake mounted. Were you doing the rebel also?

-------------
Charlie

Date Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 1:59pm
Rizmo, I'm also doing the sets for 1967-70 Rebel (all the 67-72 big cars). They are $50 for non-AC and $85 for the AC version. I can fit 2 sets i one box easy so you only have the $18 shipping one time.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: Rizmo
Date Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 2:05pm
ok,I'm in for both sets . The rebel is an a/c car also. I'll get payment out to you

-------------
Charlie

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 3:15pm
I'm also in for two sets: AMX and Big car, both with a/c. Do you want to continue with PayPal or would prefer other method ?

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Date Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 6:58pm
Paypal is fine, it seems easiest for everyone I think.

I'll get busy making cable sets tonight and see if I can get some shipping tomorrow. 

Also if you're going to be buying some cables from me and have an early AMX or Javelin keep in mind that I sell retainers for the aluminum interior door handle trim as well for $16 for a set of four. They're an improved design I came up with and work really well. I know alot of people have problems with that trim falling off every time they shut the car door.

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Date Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 8:23am
George, I have those two 4-cable AC sets done and ready to go, one for 68-70 AMX and one for 67-72 Big Cars. The total with shipping included would be $178.

Thanks,

Chris

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: DoughertyAMX
Date Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 9:09am
Chris,

I'll take a set for a 70 AMX w/ac

Thanks.

Doug

Date Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 12:41pm
Sounds good Doug, I'll start making them up and let you know when they're ready.

Chris

-------------
1968 AMX 390 w/T5

Posted By: george w
Date Posted: Jan/18/2020 at 11:49am
I'm PM you the shipping info.

-------------
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.

Print Page | Close Window