Forum Description: What makes it stop, turn, and smooths the ride
URL: https://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100242
Printed Date: Apr/23/2024 at 6:05pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: lowering front of a spirit
Posted By: amcfool1
Subject: lowering front of a spirit
Date Posted: May/28/2019 at 5:34am
hi, just got my 79 Spirit back from paint shop car looks great. However, as with a lot of Amcs it sits a little nose high, not much, but enough, maybe an inch. I don't want to lift the rear, or "slam" the car in any way, just level it out (its a 50k original mile car)
What are my options?
cut  1/2 of a coil out of front springs?
or...???

wheels will be the factory Turbocast IIs (14x7)   215/60/14  front, 235/60/14 rear   
thanks, gz

-------------
george z

Replies:
Posted By: tomj
Date Posted: May/28/2019 at 10:57pm
is the front really high? or is the low rear from sagging springs? they are 30 years old.

-------------
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Date Posted: May/29/2019 at 12:25pm
hi, I think the front is where its supposed to be, the rears LOOK ok, yes they are 40 years old, but car has only 52k original miles.  lot of AMCs seemed a little nose high when new. I guess I could get new rear springs and rearch them 1/2" or so over stock, but they ain't broken, so I don't want to fix them:). plus I like the rear ride height.
thanks for responding! gz

-------------
george z

Posted By: AMXRWB
Date Posted: May/29/2019 at 1:22pm
The rear springs sag on Spirit models.Then later on when you drag race the passenger side snaps.Makes a bang inside the car you will never forget

Posted By: THE MENACE
Date Posted: May/29/2019 at 1:40pm
You could drop the nose 1 5/8" with lowering plates. Probably give your Sprit it a nice stance!!

-------------
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.

Posted By: 73hornut
Date Posted: May/29/2019 at 10:50pm
Mine was nose high, i cut 1 loop out of the springs, lowered about 1-1/2ins.

-------------
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796

Posted By: Phitown Hustler
Date Posted: May/30/2019 at 3:28am
Cut the coils. I went with 1 coil on newer springs but you could start with 1/2 coil.

Posted By: 304-dude
Date Posted: May/30/2019 at 4:31am
In the wise words of the late UnclJohn, cut off 1/2 coil. I think he is the 1st person that have heard this from, from way back in starting here.

Though, be sure your rear leafs are good, or at least the right height your happy with.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker

Posted By: 83GT
Date Posted: May/30/2019 at 6:07am
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

...later on when you drag race the passenger side snaps.Makes a bang inside the car you will never forget

Heard that!

-------------
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around

Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: May/30/2019 at 10:33am
I too noticed my '79 Gt was sitting high and like you said, this was standard stance on most AMCs. Since I had the driver's fender off, the spring was visible. So I took my Dremel and cut off one bottom loop. Let me caution you that I did this with the wheel off and the lower arm hanging in mid air. This lessened the tension on the spring. Watch where you put your hands and especially your fingers. I had to use several cut off wheel but it did a fine job. When the loop cam off, I had to cut it in half to get it out. One loop was perfect! And it sat exactly where the original end sat in the perch. Did the other side the same way but with the fender on.

I had put 15" Turbocast wheels on the back so I needed a little lift so I added air shocks (here comes the naysayers) and took the rear up 3/4" just enough to get fender well clearance.

Hope this helps.

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Date Posted: May/30/2019 at 1:49pm
thank you for all your responses gentlemen! I have an extra set of coils, (from an 84 Eagle sedan) so I can experiment a bit, and always put it back to stock if need be.
On the UnclJohn thing, did he mean 1/2 a coil, or as written, just a 1/2 INCH off the end?
thanks, gz

-------------
george z

Date Posted: May/30/2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

thank you for all your responses gentlemen! I have an extra set of coils, (from an 84 Eagle sedan) so I can experiment a bit, and always put it back to stock if need be.
On the UnclJohn thing, did he mean 1/2 a coil, or as written, just a 1/2 INCH off the end?
thanks, gz

1/2 of a coil removed.

Sorry, i will check my reply and correct. I noticed my fractions will have the inch added, from past entrys being part of spell check.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Posted By: billd
Date Posted: May/30/2019 at 8:03pm
The fronts of many looked high not because they were but because leaf springs were soft and dropped even after only a few years. 
I solved the issue with my 70 Javelin with NEW rear springs - and original heavy-duty front springs. Now she sits great. 

-------------

http://theamcpages.com" rel="nofollow - http://theamcpages.com

http://antique-engines.com" rel="nofollow - http://antique-engines.com

Posted By: PHAT69AMX
Date Posted: May/30/2019 at 11:46pm
Bill and others have posted that cutting coils is less than ideal.
Makes the springs stiffer which makes them harsher and they extend less.
Also has a detrimental effect on front suspension geometry at neutral load.
Lowering plates avoid those compromises and maintain original at-rest geometry.
Full length weaker springs, more coils, smaller wire, less harsh, more stored energy, improved launch weight transfer.
That's how I understood it, but could be wrong, put used 6-Cyl Javelin Front Coils in my street strip AMX
and brand new Rear Leaf Springs, twice actually, over about 30 years...

-------------

Link to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySiKQsmWxU" rel="nofollow - Short YouTube Burnout Video

Date Posted: May/31/2019 at 6:37am
hi, ok, lowering plates are option #2. Does anyone make/sell these, for a 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" drop, or does one need to fabricate a set?
So far, in my research, cutting springs may be ok, lowering plates may be better? 
Thing is, I have extra springs, I don't have lowering plates :)
thanks, gz

-------------
george z

Posted By: PROSTOCKTOM
Date Posted: May/31/2019 at 9:30am

hi, ok, lowering plates are option #2. Does anyone make/sell these, for a 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" drop, or does one need to fabricate a set?
So far, in my research, cutting springs may be ok, lowering plates may be better? 
Thing is, I have extra springs, I don't have lowering plates :)
thanks, gz
No one commercially makes the lowering plates, however there are several members that have made them, myself included. I used 1/2" 4140 steel when I made mine. The nature of how they have to made to bolt on dictates that the least amount of drop you can make them for is 1-5/8". You can get more drop if you increase the distance between the 4 center holes on the lowering plate, however I have never known of anyone that did this. Now the part you might not be interested in.  When using lowering plates (Effectively moving the spindle up in relationship to the ground)  they will cause your track width to increase a 1/2" per side. So your overall front track width will increase 1.00". If you look around on the forum you'll find the thread that has the blueprint you need to make them, as well as, many more threads where guys have installed them. 

Tom

Posted By: Mr. Ed
Date Posted: May/31/2019 at 11:24am
You tell me. How does this look?

Later!
Mr. Ed

-------------
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Posted By: Buzzman72
Date Posted: May/31/2019 at 2:11pm
So...If I have this right...

Lowering the front of your spirit would raise your spirits?

[Be sure to tip your bartenders and waitresses...I'm here all week...]

-------------
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Posted By: Ken_Parkman
Date Posted: May/31/2019 at 2:25pm
One nice thing about AMC front suspension is all the springs physically interchage. Gives you lots of options with stock parts. Lighter car springs will sit lower, and vice versa. You can also play with spring rates a lot if you choose, use a heavier car and cut a coil. Drag race stuff allows you to lower the front while lowering the rate.
With the Hornet when it was on the street I went to Javlin springs to stop beating up the headers, then when it became race only kept going to lighter springs as the weight came off. In the end I was using 4 cyl springs.

Date Posted: May/31/2019 at 9:12pm
hi, if I'm following the logic here, V8 guys put in 6 cyl springs to drop the front. So it follows that 6 cyl guys can use 4 cyl springs to get a drop, ceteris paribus. (All other things being equal) :)
This may be option #3.
thanks, gz

anyway, I'm currently Evaporusting/refinishing my spare set of coils, since they're here and paid for, so may try that first. Good to know there are other options.  Thanks, gz

-------------
george z

Date Posted: May/31/2019 at 9:28pm
handling in turns is substantially affected by the rest position of the upper and lower control arms. on the few, earlier cars that i've put tpe measure to, at least, correct geometry is when the centerline of the lower outer balljoint/trunnion is at the exact same height as the inner arm pivot.

with unequal-length A-arm suspensions, camber varies in turns, a lot. chopped springs make the car squat, like it's in a turn, and will make it feel heavy and bad.

there's this idea that lowering the center of gravity improves handling, for fairly intuitively obvious reasons. but the net improvement isn't all that much, and building in bad geometry will do fgar more harm than the lowering will.

if it's just for looks, or for straight-line drag racing, it probably doesn't matter much.

-------------

Date Posted: May/31/2019 at 10:18pm
Tom hit on my question in all of this. Normally these are engineered so the upper and lower arms are in a line straight out from the pivot point.
Since it's SLA, ideally you want them to swing so that they are in the point of their arc where inward and outward movement of the "ball joint" is minimized.
The further up the arms are when at rest, the more drastic the movement inward and outward as they swing up and down. Straight out the in/out movement is minimal.
The more they deviate from straight out at rest, the more drastic the camber change is. 
Further, and this is from current experience with my Eagle - the springs I ordered a few years back are TOO STIFF and make the car sit a bit high - it cannot be properly aligned. Eccentrics are maxed out. Can't get camber in specs and the car isn't THAT far off of stock, no more than an inch. 
Another issue when using standard parts, bushings, etc. - is that when you lower a car, the upper arm is up from level and so the spring support, to which the shocks bolt, is swung up and in - making the top of the shock angled inward.
If the car is made to sit higher, like mine does, the upper arm is swung down, forcing the top of the shock outward - and it's impossible to get the shock tower on without holding hard against the shock to force it inward. 
So using spring length or "stiffness" to change ride height causes camber to be hard if not impossible to get into specs and causes the tops of the wheels to move in far more drastically as the car's height changes due to bumps, turns, etc.
And - it causes the shocks to tip hard in or hard out at the top if using stock bushings in the spring support because the upper arm is no longer out straight from the car but is angled up or down - thus the shock is angled in or out.

So - how do people deal with the impossibility of alignment, drastic swings in camber on bumps and turns, and the shock position issue?

for examples - put a jack under the cross member, raise the car with the top off the shock tower and watch the shock top end move outward. If you could lower the car from curb height, you'd note the shock tip in hard.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/01/2019 at 7:02am
hi, billd, when I was rebuilding my 84 sedan a year or so ago, I did the same thing. Put in new front coils. I wasn't trying for a lift, but apparently, these were the only springs that ESPO had, so I bought them, listed for an Eagle, though I believe they are the Javelin springs.
Anyway, put them in, car sat nose high, a LOT! So, I got a set of new Extra HD Eagle rear leafs from Stengel Bros. in PA,, which they arched a 1/2" over stock, and installed them. car sits level, and looks good, about 1" higher than stock. The ride is a bit harsher, though not enough to bother me.
The front end was completely apart, so off to the alignment shop. They did not tell me there were any problems, and the car tracks straight. New shocks all around, NAPA brand.
One problem I noticed just a week or so ago, is that the poly bushings in the spring seat are getting squeezed out. (rebuilt spring seat from Arizona AMC). Don't know if this is a result of the (unintended) lift.
Also, the car does not like steering at full lock, don't know the issue there, related?
Otherwise , is a great car to drive, has Freakride subframe connectors, and feels as solid as a rock on the road.

So, back to the Spirit, new rear leafs?
Option #4. though the most expensive!
We'll take it one day/dollar at a time.
thanks for your input,  gz

-------------
george z

Date Posted: Jun/01/2019 at 7:33am
amcfool1, as for poly bushings in the spring seat being squeezed out... donno if the later year cars used a different diameter or what, but the only poly bushing that fits proper is from a Mazda 323 rear end link replacement, which is no longer being made, and are impossible to find online.

Mine are dry fit into the seat tube and when everything is in place the bushings sets pretty well secure. Though, from the original thread on another forum, stated that the concerns were from bushings not staying in place. The poster of the bushing thread, replied back saying that the bushing has no place to go, as the bushing cannot go any further than the gap between spring seat and UCA.

Haven't been on the road, but had many test installs with high rate spring compression with 70 HD Hornet springs, and had to work at breaking free the solid fit after settling in. The disassembly was required for a late customization that required welding the bushing tube and seat. Else i would not know any better on how much the poly would stick in place after settling in.

From my experience, do not lube to fit in the tube, and allow for a few days to have the bushings to settle with the springs compressed if leaving the car raised.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 1:39am
billd did a better job than i ever could of describing the on-going complexity of mostly camber, but also toe, bump steer, shock, ride, etc relative to stock or "correct" springs.

i've also personally done a lot of stupid things to my cars, and was actually happy with setups that were... subpar is a nice way to put it. there's a lot of redundancy in there! many of the dumb things were done to my '63 classic wagon. i replaced all four coil springs with custom wound new ones from a then-local shop. 1" taller ride height and stiffer (forgot how much). i was quite happy with it. tall 15" pickup truck tires. that car did everything i wanted but handling, umm no. rode OK though. 9" grtound clearance!

but if you want to actually *improve* handling, like turning the steering wheel under power, it's actual effort. i learned the hard way that the place to start is with stock stuff in the exactly correct configuration, determine precisely wtf it is that is lacking, and change one thing at a time to measure the result.

(i used to scoff at factory tuning (spark fuel gears axle tires) and now know, damn, AMC did a good job! the compromises are about as good as you can get at what's there. of course real power increase allows for changes, etc. same with handling and drivability and especially longevity: stock suspension is good at what it's designed for).

i did some actual research and reading on suspensions for my current car (hardly bragging, for the first time in 40+ years of messing up cars). turns out very little change made a large improvement -- Shelby drop, so-called, for the same reason the Mustang needed it. while i've made a number of radical-seeming changes to the parts themselves (basically fabricating unavailable stuff) the geometry up front is 100% factory stock settings, *except* Shelby drop 1". and the new metal allowed me to get 1/2 degree caster and -2 degrees camber. same geometry.

https://sr-ix.com/Roadster/front-suspension/index.html#GEOM" rel="nofollow - https://sr-ix.com/Roadster/front-suspension/index.html#GEOM

at the above  page are links to a 2-D suspension simulator, with stock setup and my 1" shelby drop setup. you can drag the roll angle thingie and induce roll, and see how much the roll center changes, and in the WRONG DIRECTION! stock. AMC wanted grannie to go slow in turns by making the car feel like it would roll over! with the *sole change* of the 1" shelby drop, the roll center moves in the opposite direction, vastly improving where the mass grips the road. i can tell you that my car stays flat in turns and i have no roll bars and dont need them. (springs are stiff and air springs are inherently progressive).

i also learned, the hard way, and i admit by accident, how much of this car's understeer is built into the *rear leaf spring setup*. two things determine it: the height off the ground of front vs. rear spring eyes, and the canting of the springs inward at the front of the car, which had not once in my life noticed; eg. looking down at the car with x-ray vision, bird's eye view, the springs are not parallel, they point inward at front (in this chassis, far more than say a 72 hornet). it took me some time to visualize how this created understeer but it does -- and a lot of it.

the short of it is, when the car rolls on it's springs in a turn, the  inside wheel moves back a bit and the outside wheel moves forward a bit. small fraction of an inch translates into noticable counter steering. i discovered this by accident when i moved to a rigid wishbone system with a 7.5" mustang axle.

funny, the torque tube cars don't have this oversteer since no leaf springs. that's the geometry i copied because i knew how it worked in the bigger ramblers, because i went to all air springs for many reasons.

there's so much more design subtlety here i simply never imagined -- or bothered to look at.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 1:55am
oh one really nice thing about air springs...

i kept it stupid-simple. each spring has a couple feet of rigid plastic tubing that runs to a Schrader valve on each fender. i carry a nice double-action bicycle pump and tape measure in the car.

the first time through i set each spring air pressure so that for that corner, two fronts, two rears, the static loaded height was correct: the front lower arm pivots the exact same height off the ground; out back, the spring exactly 5" tall (half inch over half way through it's travel). then i made marks on the fender, the lower edge of ther styling "spear". (actualy i used a paint pen and wrote the height in inches).

now when i head off on a drive -- tomorrow AM, a bunch of us (pre-76 mostly sports cars) are out on a rally/tour (600 miles in 2 days, mountain and desert roads), today i measured each corner's mark, and tweaked ride height to the correct height, spot on. (the hoses and/or Shraders leak a tiny bit, like 1 PSI/month).

it's cheap (RAMBLER MENTALITY) but also light as possible. and compressor setups assume all air springs are the same, mine aren't. each corner is different! driver side front takes more air pressure for the same height (something like 37 left/32 right) due to uneven weight distribution.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 9:18am
A bit over a year ago my neighbor, a street rod guy, Iowa rep for Goodguys, "Barn Finds" cars and parts, runs at salt flats, etc. - anyway, he came to me asking me to keep my eyes open for "10" front brakes from an AMC". He wanted spindles, backing plates, drums, the whole thing. At that time I had considered putting disks on the front of my 73. Hmmmm, this may force me to make jump to disks.
I told him I'd put the car in my shop, have it on stands with the wheels off and if he came and took the parts off he could have them. 
A couple months later he called me and said I should come over to his shop, he had something to show me.....
My 10" AMC drum brakes were on the front of his 49 Ford.
Why am I mentioning this? Because it ties in with ride height, geometry, and more. 
He had the spindle mount area machined down a bit (like I did with the spindles I used for the Kelsey Hayes brakes I put on my 73 - I machined the backs of the spindles to move them in to center the rotors in the calipers.
He then had plates made to mount the spindles on his steering knuckles (think I have the nomenclature right for his car)
He calculated the drop he needed, how far in or out the spindles needed to be from the king pins for his wheel offset to keep SAI and other angles correct. 
So I guess what I'm saying is that dropping a car using plates is a far better way because you can compensate for the changes with the plate size or thickness, wheel offset and so on.
In short, you can make things line up again and keep those control arms out STRAIGHT from the car, making it simple to align and keeping camber where it's needed - and not cause drastic camber jumps with each bump or turn. 
Straight out, the ends of the arms move very little inward as they swing up and down. 
Cut a spring and now the arms are already started their inward swing in that arc they must travel and since the upper arm is shorter (SLA - Short-Long-Arm suspension) it's going to move in a lot farther faster - it swings a much tighter arc than the lower arm which doesn't move in as much as it swings up or down (from straight out, like factory, both arms swing IN as they move up OR down, but the upper arm swings in farther faster)
Using springs you make the camber off to start with, and lead to very drastic changes in camber with each bump or corner. Using plates, you can compensate with plate thickness, wheel offset, spacers, whatever, even wheel SIZE.

But again - what do folks do about the shock being tipped in hard when lowering a car by cutting springs? Poly bushings? If you install the stock rubber bushings correctly, meaning spring support level when control arm is at curb height or straight out, then when you cut a spring, you move the control arm UP, tipping the top of the shock hard inward - meaning the shock is always got terrific side-force on it, wearing the sides of the piston, premature shock failure and the inability to keep the shock top centered in the spring tower top. 
Wondering what people do about that?

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 9:43am
Agreed on dropping by spindle rather by springs. Things get complicated with limited adjustments with stock suspensions. Though if one must cut springs the 1/2" off a coil is a compromise that may work without making too much for complications that can be addressed... as in a photo of the recent aquisition of the racing Spirit thread, it shows the shock tower shimmed to allow the shock to have enough travel from being lowered by the spring height change.

I admit, once I started with what was considered a basic custom rack install became a bit of a full suspension upgrade and redo. Once I found one issue, it led me to another to correct. Some of the issues were limitations with factory components, that were never intended to be used in heavy race or out of spec adjustments.

-------------
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles

Posted By: Doug in New Freedom
Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 9:46am
Not suggesting you do this but, back in the '70's when I Auto Crossed my Gremlin X I took Muffler Clamps and installed them on the top of the two front coil springs to compress the front springs and lowered the front. Drove it that way for years. Also put traction Bars on the rear springs to stop Wheel Hop in hard braking.  

-------------
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER

Date Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 11:55am
LOL - everyone is walking all around my points and questions save for tomj
Clamping coils is not different than cutting them in my questions/concerns. It STILL changes drastically the camber changes when driving, and still tips the top of the shock to the inside hard. 
My 73 had broken front springs - the effect was lowing the car. Guess what - it snapped one shock off and the other was totally worn out - the piston had a quarter worn off one side and it was no longer functioning. The springs were broken in a way that was the same effect as cutting half a coil off. Camber was bad, tires were worn just the same as if the camber and toe were both off (which of course they were - DUH - car was lowered)

The issue with my 68 was wheel hop on acceleration - autocross was fine as far as braking and steering/cornering. A couple of guys broke things trying to catch me. That car was LIGHT.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 12:32am
that's funny cuz it's true! lol

i think there's mixed motives/goals in this thread. talk of lowering mixed in with talk of handling improvements.

lowering (or raising) an inch by cutting/clamping springs achieves the goal of lowering the car. it may add stress to all of the components, but maybe not enough to worry about. if you're after a lowered look then it's good enough.

but improving handling over stock is a different story. i can't imagine a single professional chassis tuner not saying: bring the car up to solid, like-new stock condition and tune from there, methodically, one thing at a time.

40 year old parts are worn parts. all springs under load sag. rubber bushings go bad even in low-miles cars. the rubber might not be popping out but i doubt it's concentric under constant load, and it's brittle and not compliant like new. 30, 40 year old "new" suspension parts the rubber is bad. 

i'd just be clear on what you want to do. i was very happy with my raised '63 Classic wagon. it rode fine, in that soft boaty-way a lot of that era did. and if the parts didn't last as long, well, i had no other 63 classic wagon to compare it to and it never failed me. i didn't autocross it, but i drove (slowly) on a lot of mild jeep trails and hundreds of thousands of highway miles. 

just be clear on what you're expecting (or be willing to enjoy your experiments. i did!)

-------------

Date Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 6:26am
thank you, gentlemen, the goal is to just slightly level out the car, not go racing. Parsing all of the above, I see 4 options, best to worst...
1) get new rear leafs with a slightly higher arch - Con-expensive
2) fab up some drop plates - Con- have 1" wider front track
3) install 4 cyl front springs -Con- hard to find, not correct.
4) cut front coils 1/2 OR 1 coil -Con- improper suspension geometry

The car will be a weekend cruiser, not a DD or autocrosser, so a stock type ride is what I'm after.
After cleaning my spare coils, and a bit of headscratching, I have a hard time seeing how cutting just 1/2 a coil could alter things THAT much, Its really not that big an alteration. But we will see.
Thanks again, gz

-------------
george z

Date Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 10:52pm
you could 'cheaply'/experimentally use clamps to lower, and see if it does what you want. if it does, THEN chop half a turn. if not, pop 'em out and no real damage done.

something like that.

-------------

Posted By: Red Devil
Date Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 11:22am
2) make lowering plates with caliper bracket mounts integrated into the plate so track width doesn't increase.  If going to the effort, maybe design for a better caliper (... not a fan of the later Bendix slide calipers).
4) measure current geometry.  Without measuring, how do we know the lower control arm is at optimal height and cutting 1/2 coil will cause issues? 

If you are lowering the car, generally you should have higher rate springs and suitable dampers to reduce suspension travel; otherwise, more chance of bottoming out and hitting e.g. speed bumps with exhaust - especially if you have headers.   Need to consider the suspension system - not just one part of it.  Adjustable coil-overs might be a consideration ... but maybe out of your budget.   IIRC, the Control Freak front coil over setup has much higher spring rate than stock for better handling, but the adjustable dampers allow tuning so the ride isn't too harsh.

Hope this helps, RD.

Date Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

2) make lowering plates with caliper bracket mounts integrated into the plate so track width doesn't increase.  
How you are going to accomplish this?

The actual spindle shaft bolts onto the spindle assembly with 4 bolts. The reason you can lower (or raise) the car is by bolting the lowering plate where the spindle shaft once bolted on and then bolting the spindle shaft on the outside of the plate in another location higher up. It is impossible to do it without increasing the track width the thickness of the plates used.

Tom

Date Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 12:24pm

1) get new rear leafs with a slightly higher arch - Con-expensive

There is also option #5 that no one has mentioned.  You could have the rear springs re-arched.
I took a 64 Fairlane to the spring shop here in town and had them re-arch them. The guy asked me how much higher I wanted the car to ride and I told him 2" when I go to pick it up the car is sitting a lot higher than 2". He tells me me to go drive it and if in a week it hasn't settled down to the 2" lift I wanted to bring it back and he'll redo them. About 4 days later that car settled down to an exact 2" lift and never changed a bit in the next 10 years with a good running 408 Windsor working them. Cheaper than buying springs and you can get them adjusted with ease.

Tom

Posted By: Red Devil
Date Posted: Jun/05/2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

2) make lowering plates with caliper bracket mounts integrated into the plate so track width doesn't increase.  
How you are going to accomplish this?The actual spindle shaft bolts onto the spindle assembly with 4 bolts. The reason you can lower (or raise) the car is by bolting the lowering plate where the spindle shaft once bolted on and then bolting the spindle shaft on the outside of the plate in another location higher up. It is impossible to do it without increasing the track width the thickness of the plates used.Tom

The caliper bracket bolts to a spacer that is sandwiched between the spindle and steering knuckle.   If the drop plate had the mounting holes added for the caliper bracket, then you don't need to sandwich an additional plate.   Someone had posted one they made, IIRC, for KH calipers?  Required c'sunk holes for a couple of the bolts to clear.

Edit: Found picture, but sorry, don't remember who made them to give credit?

Hope this helps,RD

Date Posted: Nov/23/2019 at 1:08pm
hi, well, it's a done deal. Took 1 coil out of 82 EAGLE springs, and put them in my 79 Spirit. Drop is about 1 5/8" , a little more than I wanted, but, I have to admit, the car LOOKS better, about 50mph faster just standing still:). While there, we also installed a set of Opentracker Racing's ball bearing spring perches. (The 1979 original bushings were crumbling into rubber dust.) Took it for a good ride today, no noises, no issues, and the front rode smoother and quieter. (btw, car has  KYB shocks all around). So, for now, I guess it's all good. Again, this is a sunny Sunday car, not a DD, so we will have to wait and see if there are any long term ill effects. Just have to pay attention to curb heights now! Also have to get over the feeling of constantly driving downhill!:)
Thank you again gentlemen!
gz

-------------
george z

Posted By: 70amxvegas
Date Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 11:41am
Looking thru these posts, I do not see why you would not have the same issues by putting shorter (6 cly) non cut springs it will do the same thing ? I pulled my springs out of my 70 and they were cut and 13 inchs tall. The so called stock springs from ESPO were 14.5 inchs tall and my car of course rides high. I plan someday to cut half a coil and drop it a inch or so.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net