TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Prestolite date coding (wipers, etc.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prestolite date coding (wipers, etc.)
    Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 6:06pm
For Prestolite products, such as the windshield wiper motors AMC used up into the early 1970s, the attached date coding applies.
For our wipers, the date code is typically under the wiper motor model number, such as
ESY 4006A
   A 12
where the ESY 4006A is the model number of the motor and the A 12 is the date code.
In the Prestolite date code as used on wiper motors, the letter is the year, the number is the month.
The above example is December 1968: A = 1968, 12 = December

The link below is a PDF version of a bulletin from my Prestolite service manuals that chart this out and explain further.
Please note the letters that were NOT used by Prestolite!

Prestolite_date-codes.pdf

Edited by billd - Aug/20/2017 at 6:09pm
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 6:38pm
Thanks BillD....I had a X 9 which I swapped to Dave Bass for some other rebuilds a while back, the case was a 4006, for Javelin/AMX, never seen a date code that late for 68-71 Motor.  Do you have a break down of the ESY number to application?  I have a NOS ESY 4005, but don't know application, looks identical to 4006, so I suspect just the park switch are just adjusted differently.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 6:38pm
Bill...this is cool information. There has been several discussions about wiper motor date coding and this certainly wraps it up!!   Thanks for posting!!

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:42pm
You nailed it Ross - the difference is the park angle.
Prestolite outlines this in their documentation for the various wiper motor models they made for AMC, MOPAR and others.

Ross - I have an X 9 on the shelf off an American. It's an ESY 4004 with a white mounting plate. 
(X 9 is September 1965)
No, I don't have a 4005 nor do I have it in my spreadsheet so can't say what it was used on.
I have 4003, 4004, 4006A, 4006B and 4006C and so on but no 4005
I am attempting to chart which motors were used on which AMCs and have a decent start but have to fill in a whole lot of blanks!
(If anyone wants to look at the ORIGINAL wiper motor on their non-Javelin AMC, please note the year and model of the car and the wiper motor number and I'll try to finish my list. HINT HINT)

I have about two dozen wiper motors on the shelves - but since those are mine and I bought them over the years, I wasn't able to determine what they came off of. For example, I bought 4 in a lot a few months back but the seller only knew what one of them came off of, and of course so did I as it was a 4006 with a proper date code for a 69 Javelin LOL.

It's sort of funny-  of the 4006s I have, 3 are A 11 and 1 is an A 12.
My oldest is the late 1964 motor. The latest is the NOS I put on my 70 Javelin - a 4006 with a K date code (it came off a dealer's shelf - and I put it on my car until I get the proper one for my car refinished. 

Chuck I've had this stuff for quite a while but kept forgetting to scan and post, or got into other stuff....... you know the drill. 
I did my first wiper motor repair when I was 14 (rewired a non-working Prestolite) and have some of the documents and literature from the period - and hope to have more as I can gather it. 

Where I can I'll share here as this sort of thing really put to rest any "guessing" and goodness knows we have enough guessing with our AMC stuff!
When I was talking about wiper motor dates and models at Kenosha with someone, I really DID know what I was talking about Wacko

dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 12:01am
Bill, this may not be relevant to this topic, but the original Wiper Motor on the wife's '74,
has the date of manufactured painted on the motor:   Jun 11, 74....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 12:37am
Yes, not Prestolite - but Motorcraft - those have it inked on the end of the motor shell - and did up until the end of AMC -
Hard to tell in this photo and I wasn't able to quickly find the photos of the NOS motor on my SX4, but maybe you can see a hint of it - 

Maybe that's for another list of date codes, and part numbers.......

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 8:37pm
I bought a restored prestolite motor for my 72 Gremlin. I bought this motor from Dave Bass.
It says ESP 4006B 12V
E 4. This is an april 1972 correct?

Now the one on my car also says,
ESP 4006B 12V
D 10. Which means October 1971...correct?...and my car was built in nov 1971. Which I would think the motor on the car is original to this car
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 8:54pm
Sounds right, Purple72!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!)
70 AMX 360 4-speed
70 Javelin SST 390
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Sounds right, Purple72!

well I think Im going to have the older motor restored.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic