TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pre-70 Performance suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2017 at 10:52pm
Interesting thread, building a 64 Classic that will be used for.. um shall we say spirited driving. I have a dedicated autocross car but want run my Rambler occasionally also. Have been giving a lot of thought to the front suspension and how to make it work correctly.
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 11:43pm
Reading this thread got me thinking on how to increase caster on 68-70 Javelin/AMX.

Would it be possible to bore the horizontal pivot point at an angle, say 3 degrees.
The bore would then be over size by about 3mm, faces would need to be squared up to the bore.
Then machine new bushings to fit the over size bore and with thicker shoulders to maintain original width.

This method would increase caster be a set amount and would also mean you have LH and RH trunions.
The spring would also sit on top of the trunion at an angle of 3 degrees, not sure if this would be an issue. 

Concept photo.

iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 7:16pm
you could just bore the trunion to fit a sphereical bearing like what was stated earlier in thread. this would allow for more caster adjustment. you would have to also mod the lower control arm attach point to piviot like the one pictured earlier in the thread but that guy wont give up any info on it.Wink

Edited by iapexl8r - Jul/07/2017 at 9:56am
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 1:32pm

I've abandon the trunnion!
Been working on something for a LONG time, check it out in the Product Announcements...

http://theamcforum.com/forum/new-1968-69-javelin-amx-rambler-suspension-upgrade_topic88551.html

Edited by 343sharpstick - Aug/14/2017 at 8:12am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 7:50pm
My new front suspension has exceeded my expectations. Finally got to the AutoX track. This is my third autocross, ever, and my FIRST with this suspension. On the street it's better, on the track it's WAY better.
Last year at the Optima event in Kentucky I was struggling to get the front to stick.
All I've changed on the car was the front suspension, and went with 245-50/17 front tires.
I pasted the CAM class to get an idea of where I landed at the end of the day within the class. What was faster, and what wasn't.

It took a few runs to get use to the now more planted front with the back perhaps more loose than I'd like. I put together a great run on the last time out.
What a BLAST!

Edited by 343sharpstick - Aug/13/2017 at 7:55pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 7:59pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 9:46am
Here is a pic of the front tires sticking nicely, and the back tires NOT sticking. Whoaaaa.

shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 12:43pm
Very cool! What track is that?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 3:47pm
It's the motorplex track, inside the Road America facility.
I use to race on it back when I did Supermoto, so it was cool to be on it now in the car.
It's basically a carting track, but it's a bit more than that. Lots of elevation and some good, short, full throttle straights even in a car.

Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2017 at 12:49pm
What Size Rear tires do you have and rim size?

Edited by Aljav - Oct/08/2017 at 12:53pm
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic