TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pre-70 Performance suspension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2016 at 2:48pm
I am sure one can beef up lower control arms like the ones used for police use on 70 on up lower arms. UnclJohn or MrEd had posted a section on police control arms, which had some illistrations.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2016 at 5:33pm
Here are my lower control arms.  They are boxed underneath.  Have bigger Chrysler ball joint and spherical bearing.

iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2016 at 5:36pm
The lower control arm should be a fairly straight forward fix with adding a heim joint in place of the Bushing, probably be best to make a whole new arm with the heim joint.

Do the aerospace brakes have vented rotors?

Chris

Ha just enterd my post then saw the reply about the  bigger Chrysler ball joint and spherical bearing. What parts did you need to perform this mod.  Javelin_gt?

Edited by iapexl8r - Dec/27/2016 at 5:40pm
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2016 at 8:38pm
Yeah, the Aerospace kit has vented rotors. You can add drilled and slotted for some extra cost as well. I think they have a drag racing only kit without vented rotors too.

Javelin-GT, love your lower control arms. If I were to go that far I'd connect both ends with a DOM tube ;)
I think I'll use the control arm that's on the bench now and build up a fixture right away. :)
Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2016 at 7:52am
You Didn't Mention anything about Sub-frame Connectors. I Hear those help keep it "flat" Do you have some?
1966 Rampar American
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2016 at 10:15am
I did fabricate subframe connectors, notched and welded them into the chassis when I had the car on the rotisserie.
I hadn't driven the car without them so I dont have a good comparison on before and after. I've done a few things out back as well ;)
Mostly focusing on front Trunion in this thread, although I do enjoy discussions of all changes I've made, and there are a bunch, as there are a few AMCr's out there trying to make the front suspension designed in the 1940's a bit better.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2017 at 1:50pm
My car finally came home yesterday.  Here is the front end done.  Not sure why the pic is sideways.

snakeeyes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2017 at 8:19pm
Javelin_GT,

Is that a custom torsion sway bar? Been thinking of doing something like that for my car.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2017 at 8:38pm
I bought a good used Schreader sway bar off eBay and new arms for from Summit I think. You also need a couple pillow blocks for it to slide through. At least one other forum member has done this. He has a javelin build here in the road race section.
snakeeyes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2017 at 8:44pm
Okay, cool I have a similar setup that I put on my truck. The simplicity of it had made me think of doing something similar on the car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic