TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - pre-64 American control arm bushings -- UNAVAILABL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

pre-64 American control arm bushings -- UNAVAILABL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Funny that Autozone had come to my rescue a couple of times when the other parts houses couldn't for "weird" AMC stuff. 

me too. they stock Centric stuff, which i think is Canadian. there's a part i have a note for, 602.61043, to look at. rock auto claims to have it. it's for a 1952 Plymouth COncord, which seems to use the same part. it's a very old bushing, from the Nash days.

the thing to remember is that the 64-up Americans are AMERICAN MOTORS, and the pre-64 Americans are NASH RAMBLERS with some AMC stuff tacked on. all sorts of weird little things are Nash. windshield gasket, for instance. absolutely impossible to find the Rambler part. but the Nash stuff you can buy by the foot, cheap, and new.

not sure what i'm gonna do if i can't get usable bushings.

autozone seems to be going through a change, and it's not good. the local store stocks almost no generic parts, it's all accessories and parts by VIN or make/model. hardly have nuts and bolts. and the manager, who i've known for a long time, is angry that the ywon't send him Mobil1 15W-50, just the new-car stuff. he said it sold well, moved a lot of it, all for older cars. publically traded corporations are awful.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 12:22am

Dimension A O.D. : 1.25"

the Nash Rambler part is 1.18" OD... 

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 12:34am

AC DELCO            45G8012

wait! this is different number than the one i got. (AC DELCO never made a nash/rambler suspension part, as far as i know, but might have made parts for the 52 plymouth...)

the only way to tell is to order some and find out. 

i've learned to not trust the photos, though that one is temptingly correct for the either the upper or the lowers, i forget which has the press-depth-limiting ribs. upper and lower are actually different parts, but you can at least use the non-rib ones as long as you measure the press-in depth precisely. i forget, it's written down somewhere. i wonder if the rib ones work in the opposite position. what a mess this all is.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 1:01am
it's like picking a scab... can't stop. lol.

so once again i see AutoZone lists the part as available, but when you go to actually PAY for it:

Part Number: FB639
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Sorry, the requested quantity for this special order item is not available. Please adjust the quantity.
Do you need related items?

quantity: 1

from THE SIMPSONS:

...corporate toady tour guide: "...and it's made with a certain percentage of recycled materials!"

lisa simpson: "what percentage?"

corporate toady: "zero. zero is a percent!"

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 7:19am
American Parts Depot has them....not cheap, but our AMC vendors come through!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 7:40am
Here's a photo of the bushings I received from Kanter back in July of 2015 that I sent back. They also sent me strut rod bushings that were in about the same condition. I ended up having to go with poly strut rod bushings even though I didn't want to. I think I ordered their front rebuild "kit" which also included the trunions. For some reason they sent a mis-matched pair, bushing style for one side and bearing side for the other. I just sent it all back. I'm pretty sure I ordered from Rockauto replacement bushings and they came in a ACDelco box. 

64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 9:20am
I don't know if this will help or not but I ran across this chart that lists bushings by dimension.  Since you know yours maybe....

uploads/25/Moog_rubber_bushing_cross_reference.pdf
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
ClassicCustom400 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicCustom400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 9:19pm
In stock all day long at Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts.

Sold 2 complete Upper & Lower Bushing sets this week.

Never been an issue in re-stocking these bushings.  We also have NOS Lower Control Arms with Bushings in them.
JeepComancher
www.ClassicCustom400.com
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by ClassicCustom400 ClassicCustom400 wrote:

In stock all day long at Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts.

Sold 2 complete Upper & Lower Bushing sets this week.

Never been an issue in re-stocking these bushings.  We also have NOS Lower Control Arms with Bushings in them.

NOS rubber is absolutely unusable. it simply doesn't last. as it is, the "new" parts we can get from rockauto etc are generally 5, 10 years old, and that's bad for rubber. not once have i bought 20+ year old rubber and had it last even a year. i drive my cars hard, they're not sunday show cars. 

are the replacement bushings (not the NOS arms) new-old-stock, or "new" replacements?

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I don't know if this will help or not but I ran across this chart that lists bushings by dimension.  Since you know yours maybe....

uploads/25/Moog_rubber_bushing_cross_reference.pdf

thanks! that's great -- i will go through it tonight. thanks for that!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic