TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Power steering fluid and ATF fluid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadipacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering fluid and ATF fluid
    Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 5:24pm
 I have a 82 steering gear box, and using a mid 70's Steering Pump..
 Gear box in 82 would require  Power steering FLUID.
 Mid 70's Pump I think  uses ATF.
 Which fluid  to use?
 Did AMC switch to PS fluid along about 78?

SOLD!/SOLD!78 Pacer wagon w/ 500 cid Cadillac V8, 2:87 spool.

1956 Nash Statesman.PS,PB AC 360 rack & pin.2:56 gears.
1982 Concord 401 4 dr. incognito
former-NAMDRA # 75 AMO 645,NCCA 7980

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 6:39pm
Leave trans fluid in the trans.  I've been running Valvoline full synthetic power steering fluid in all my vehicles since an internal hose breakdown on my Jeep ruined the pump and box.  I now also run a filter on the low pressure side of all my vehicles.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2018 at 6:55pm
A filter is not a bad idea.
I've used ATF in PS - but have since migrated to using PS fluid.
My reasoning behind ATF is that it's high detergent, it's made to be hydraulic fluid, it gets pumped under pressure, has to handle heat, etc. a lot like the internals of a power steering system.
I'm still not afraid to run ATF in AMC systems but since PS fluid is available everywhere, even WALMART, why not use it...
A filter is a good idea either way - I may end up doing the same "just because".......... 
What filters do you use, Bob?
cadipacer View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadipacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 7:16am
  Bill -d :that's my thought too,after some searching it seems to be fine to use PS fluid in the older pump.
SOLD!/SOLD!78 Pacer wagon w/ 500 cid Cadillac V8, 2:87 spool.

1956 Nash Statesman.PS,PB AC 360 rack & pin.2:56 gears.
1982 Concord 401 4 dr. incognito
former-NAMDRA # 75 AMO 645,NCCA 7980

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 7:29am
I thought this was interesting.  Only covers recent vehicles but still interesting.

https://www.cardone.com/docs/default-source/product-pgs/psfluidtypes.pdf?sfvrsn=16
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 8:51am
I've been using Magnefine filters.  Kind of pricey, but cheap insurance.

http://magnefinefilters.com/main.sc

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2018 at 12:43pm
Only ever had one car that called for atf in the steering. 1996 taurus, said use only atf on the cap. Very messy when the rack springs a leak.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I thought this was interesting.  Only covers recent vehicles but still interesting.

https://www.cardone.com/docs/default-source/product-pgs/psfluidtypes.pdf?sfvrsn=16

Yikes! I was able to spot several mistakes in that list. Some vehicles actually used a different fluid depending in what market it was originally sold in. In most cases using what the cap on the power steering reservoir says is the safest choice.

As for the issue at hand, I have successfully used ATF and PS fluid in Saginaw 800 and 700 steering boxes. I have also successfully used either fluid in the Eaton and Saginaw pumps used by AMC. In the case of the average AMC owner either is OK as long as the fluids aren't mixed. This is not the case for other makes. I have fixed several vehicles where the owner used PS fluid instead of ATF or that expensive green Pentosin fluid the vehicle called for.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 12:04pm
ATF is after all a hydraulic fluid. It has higher detergent content than other hydraulic fluids, but other than additive package is just about the same as PS fluid. I'm sure there are different additives in PS fluid, maybe less detergent. I would say more ant-foaming additive, but I doubt it, as an auto trans could foam just as easily.

I wonder about the Pentosin. Never heard of it before! I do notice that it's mostly German cars, and some other Europeans (Mini is essentially a BMW, so I count it as German). It's obviously some special formulation, with the oddity of not being backward compatible in most cases, unlike fluids like Dexron and even brake fluid -- with the exception of silicone brake fluid. Newest foreign car I ever owned was a 97 or 98 Volvo 960. I don't recall what it used... or even topping it off...
Frank Swygert
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 1:20pm
For years Mopar didn't want ATF in their power steering systems.  IIRC, there was a TSB that some of the seals used in the Chrysler chuck wouldn't tolerate ATF.  Then when all Saginaw systems were used in some vehicles (trucks), ATF was fine.  I've always thought that the OEM recommendation was the best unless there was a burning need to change (eg, the OEM fluid wasn't available any longer). 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic