TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Power brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power brakes
    Posted: Mar/16/2015 at 10:57am
Right now my 80 spirit dl has manual brakes and since im swapping in a v8 id like to be able to stop a little better. What cars can i take the master cylinder and booster off of? Thanks
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2015 at 12:04pm
I converted our Gremlin to front disks using parts from a '79 Spirit. The brakes are manual and they stop tremendously. It is my opinion that such a swap is not necessary. Also, I do not mind the absence of a vacuum booster in the engine bay.

Again, this is just my opinion and based on the Grem running a built 401.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Nick_m View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2015 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Snotty Snotty wrote:

I converted our Gremlin to front disks using parts from a '79 Spirit. The brakes are manual and they stop tremendously. It is my opinion that such a swap is not necessary. Also, I do not mind the absence of a vacuum booster in the engine bay.

Again, this is just my opinion and based on the Grem running a built 401.

I've got front discs and all just rather have power brakes I'm a smaller guy (haven't broke 100lbs yet) it isnt too bad just want to be a little more safe
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 11:08am
Very well....
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2015 at 8:40am
Any 76-83 Hornet, Concord, Spirit or Gremlin with power brakes will work. All those years had disc brakes in front. Earlier should work as well, but some had drum brakes. Drum power boosters aren't as strong as disc, but will still be better than manual. An 80+ Eagle booster will also work. You may need to get the pedal as well as the booster, bracket, and master cylinder. The pedal is sometimes different in more ways than just the width of the foot piece. The bolt hole is usually in a different location and the angle of the pedal may be different. 
Frank Swygert
Nick_m View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2015 at 11:37am
Thanks a ton Farna now i just have to find the parts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic