TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Possible Custom Upper Control Arms 71-74 Javelin
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Possible Custom Upper Control Arms 71-74 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2014 at 7:48am
Just out of curiosity, is there a definite reason why this is limited (at least by thread title) to 71 - 74?
Over the years I have rebuilt some 2 dozen late (1970+) front ends and am under the opinion that pretty much everything is interchangeable between years and models.  A have a number of suspension parts books obtained from NAPA parts stores that were in essence thrown out when they went computerized. At the moment parts I have looked up in them to try to salvage from Pick A  Partout lets have been interchangeable although I have for my self worked a fair amount on Hornet, Gremlin and Spiri/tConcord vehicles.  I have obtained rebuildable parts from pretty much every 1970+ AMC ball joint front suspensions.
The exception would be an Eagle an/or a Pacer.
I have found out recently that an early Hornet strut rod length is longer than a later one, probably dated some where around the time safety bumpers created a design change in the front of the body.  But do not know for sure.
I also, many years ago used a later strut rod (at this time unknown year) to replace a 70 strut rod on my  Javelin which had been damaged by Rust and did so by grinding the steering stop off and carefully shaping it to the same measurable dimension of the 1970.  1970 did not have the steering stop as part of the strut rod design.
One part that did come to mind were front coil springs. NAPA according to their parts books at the time used 5 coil springs as a direct replacement for ALL AMC cars depending on the size of the car and accessories it had.  You might find the same spring according to NAPA used on a base model Ambassador wagon with the I-6 and no power accessories, called out as the heavy duty spring for Gremlin applications.  They fudged the 5 different springs as close enough as far as weight carrying capability but they all would actually FIT different models.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is there a definite reason why this is limited (at least by thread title) to 71 - 74?
Over the years I have rebuilt some 2 dozen late (1970+) front ends and am under the opinion that pretty much everything is interchangeable between years and models.  A have a number of suspension parts books obtained from NAPA parts stores that were in essence thrown out when they went computerized. At the moment parts I have looked up in them to try to salvage from Pick A  Partout lets have been interchangeable although I have for my self worked a fair amount on Hornet, Gremlin and Spiri/tConcord vehicles.  I have obtained rebuildable parts from pretty much every 1970+ AMC ball joint front suspensions.
The exception would be an Eagle an/or a Pacer.
I have found out recently that an early Hornet strut rod length is longer than a later one, probably dated some where around the time safety bumpers created a design change in the front of the body.  But do not know for sure.
I also, many years ago used a later strut rod (at this time unknown year) to replace a 70 strut rod on my  Javelin which had been damaged by Rust and did so by grinding the steering stop off and carefully shaping it to the same measurable dimension of the 1970.  1970 did not have the steering stop as part of the strut rod design.
One part that did come to mind were front coil springs. NAPA according to their parts books at the time used 5 coil springs as a direct replacement for ALL AMC cars depending on the size of the car and accessories it had.  You might find the same spring according to NAPA used on a base model Ambassador wagon with the I-6 and no power accessories, called out as the heavy duty spring for Gremlin applications.  They fudged the 5 different springs as close enough as far as weight carrying capability but they all would actually FIT different models.

I think you're right, but I've only worked on Javelins and AMXs.  I'm not familiar with AMC's other offerings.

Thanks

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 9:00pm
Some progress.  Parts cut with a water jet.

Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2014 at 8:20pm
Fellas -

Making some progress, but no updated pics.  Looking for someone who can do a test fit of the control arms.  My car is 8,000 miles from me and in storage, so I can't do it until I return from Korea next summer.

Can anyone help out?  If you liked the design and price, you could purchase the control arms after the test fit.

Thanks

Scott
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2014 at 6:25pm
I could help you out if intested pm me for contact info.
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 4:52am
Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

I could help you out if intested pm me for contact info.

PM sent!

Scott
jetnoise View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetnoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 3:42pm
Any update on these?
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 6:51pm
He hasn't been on since September 16th. I emailed him some time ago and no response. Hope he is ok.
Full-time machinist
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 6:39pm
Got an email last night, he's good and no update from the shop lately. We shall see
Full-time machinist
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 11:53pm
It's been so long that I don't recall. Would they also fit small body like Hornet or Eagle?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic