TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Possible Custom Upper Control Arms 71-74 Javelin
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Possible Custom Upper Control Arms 71-74 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 7:55pm
Some examples of his fab work.

Edited by bulletpruf - Jul/11/2014 at 7:59pm
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 8:32pm
Beautiful.
 Did he mean 300-350 for both? Or each side? Even if he meant each side, the price is killer.

Steve
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 8:54pm
I'm thinking 300-350 per pair, but I'll clarify.

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
SportaboutX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportaboutX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 11:26pm
Great news. Honestly just to be able to buy all new arms that are near stock but with the bushings already pushed in I would be a very happy guy. The factory pieces are thin and installing new bushings through removing old seized in ones can cause damage. I think there would even be demand if he could make a new set of factory stamped arms with new bushings installed at the $300 price point.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 3:08am
Can anyone lend out a pair of stock control arms?  Mine are all in storage back in the states.  I could buy some off eBay if I needed to but thought someone might have some they could mail to Tennessee.
Also need some measurements and specs:
- Vertical spindle length from ball joint to ball joint

- Stock caster and camber angles at ride height

- Stock lower control arm length

Can anyone help here?

Scott
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

Beautiful.
 Did he mean 300-350 for both? Or each side? Even if he meant each side, the price is killer.

Steve

If that price included all bushings and ball joint installed it probably is not a bad price for both, but by them selves I guess I would have to agree.  While the source of supply's for replacement parts is pretty much what vendors have in stock at the present and salvage yards which by now are getting thin on junk yard stuff.  Despite the upper control arms, in fact all of the individual pieces were identical for all of the AMC cars built from 1970 on to end of production of the 2 wheel drive versions with the exception of Eagle and Pacer and even some of those are probably the same for some pieces not to forget the Brickland. The supply of those in wrecking yards have thinned out quite a bit in the last 10 years.
The really big question would have to be what is the potential market?
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 10:10pm
Getting some stock upper control arms sent to the guy in the next few days (thanks Asif!).  Anyone have a spare set of fairly clean LCAs that they can loan out? 

Thanks

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by bulletpruf bulletpruf wrote:

Also need some measurements and specs:
- Vertical spindle length from ball joint to ball joint

- Stock caster and camber angles at ride height

- Stock lower control arm length

Can anyone help here?

Scott

Can anyone help out here?  My car is on the other side of the planet and there aren't any AMCs in Korea...
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2014 at 11:06pm
Stock upper control arms, lower control arms, and strut rods are on the way.  Will keep y'all advised on progress.
This isn't just a one-time custom job for my car; he wants to come up with some parts that will sell.  I need to remember to tell him that AMC folks are notoriously cheap, so the prices need to be low...

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2014 at 12:05am
He has the parts.  Design is done.  He's gearing up to make a prototype. 

Cost is $350/pair.  That's without ball joints and heim joints.

Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic