TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

positraction or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: positraction or not?
    Posted: May/08/2015 at 7:18pm
Now that I have sorted out the T5 issues I was having . Next step is the rear end .
Any thoughts on a posi gear set up and any suggestions on what to use.?
I am plan on driving the most of the summer.
Paul
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 8:07pm
Not sure of you combo, but I say with a t5 you would want 3.35 gears with a trutrac
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by needafasterAMX needafasterAMX wrote:

Not sure of you combo, but I say with a t5 you would want 3.35 gears with a trutrac

with the OD of the T5 I think 3.35 would not be a good match.
after running numbers I like the 3.54 the V8 4 sp cars came with.

Now changing gears or center section you have gear setup to do.
a Lock Right Locker you don't have gear setup. Got one in my Gremlin works great.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 9:39pm
I don't like a posi for street driving. It can get you into trouble on slippery surfaces. Both wheels spinning on ice can cause the rear end to come around. I know you get better traction if one wheel is on a slippery surface and the other isn't, but...
Frank Swygert
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 10:31pm
OD don't mean much , It depend on his first gear ratio, the two common one is 2.95 and 3.35 for a t5 car trans.
The ideal final drive first gear in my opinion would be between or from 9.00 to 10.00, For a  street car driven a lot.
So yes , I stand by what I said with the lack of info we have.
If 2.95 first 3.31 , if it is 3.35 then 3.15 rear gears
Rear tire size will make a difference also.

Edited by needafasterAMX - May/10/2015 at 4:40pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
emspaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2015 at 5:28pm
We have a WC T5 ,
First gear is a 3.35 .
I have another unit siting under the bench we are going to tear down and gear like the 1992 S.H.O. 5 speed.
I had a 92 and I truly miss the second gear in that car.First gear was a 3.21 . final drive of 3.74 .
And it got great milage .
Paul

Edited by emspaul - May/09/2015 at 5:44pm
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2015 at 7:21am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I don't like a posi for street driving. It can get you into trouble on slippery surfaces. Both wheels spinning on ice can cause the rear end to come around. I know you get better traction if one wheel is on a slippery surface and the other isn't, but...

Is that a southern thing? Frank, you and others have been repeating that comment for decades. Here in the frozen north it's just second nature for us, when the back end starts to come around, lift up with your right foot. And if you're driving on slippery roads, why are you flooring the accelerator going around a corner? In short, if posi makes driving dangerous, you need to work on your driving skills.
While I'm on a rant, same goes for power steering. Too many times I've read posts about lack of "road feel" makes driving dangerous. Power steering doesn't create any problem for me and I don't think I have any special driving ability that others don't. Then again, I dive on public roads, not a road race track. But then again, how many do?
Thanks for listening, I feel better now.

Dave Z
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2015 at 7:45am
I like a final drive that gives me about 32 mph/ 1000 rpm and a 3.15:1 is what I have in my Mark Donohue and if anything I would go taller, but it is nice ratio.
I see no particular advantage to a posi-traction rear axle. S'pecially on a car that has become a hobby to drive which means as a daily driver it is rarely used. 'Specially in inclement weather.
The Mark Donohue has it, but it is the only car I have owned other than a high performance Camero that came with it in the last 30 years.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2015 at 9:59am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

I like a final drive that gives me about 32 mph/ 1000 rpm and a 3.15:1 is what I have in my Mark Donohue and if anything I would go taller, but it is nice ratio.
I see no particular advantage to a posi-traction rear axle. S'pecially on a car that has become a hobby to drive which means as a daily driver it is rarely used. 'Specially in inclement weather.
The Mark Donohue has it, but it is the only car I have owned other than a high performance Camero that came with it in the last 30 years.
Don't you mean 23 mph per 1,000 rpm? A little over 23 is about what a 3.15 does with std tire size.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2015 at 10:46am

[/QUOTE]

While I'm on a rant, same goes for power steering. Too many times I've read posts about lack of "road feel" makes driving dangerous. Power steering doesn't create any problem for me and I don't think I have any special driving ability that others don't. Then again, I dive on public roads, not a road race track. But then again, how many do?
Thanks for listening, I feel better now.

Dave Z[/QUOTE]

I do race a car that I removed the power steering from, and it did improve road feel. You can feel much easier what the front wheels are doing, you can detect the lose of grip in your front tires much sooner.
But I usually only drive 25 lap races. I've raced 100 lap races in the car before, and I'm pretty worn out by the end, that stiff steering has to be part of the reason.

On extremely slick roads, I prefer manual steering, because again, if you've developed the feel for it, you can detect the lose of front end grip early enough to do something about it.

But now about everything I drive on the highway is power steering, and modern power steering isn't nearly as bad as it was in the 60-80s.

I don't drive my 66 American much, it's manual. I'm trying to figure out a rack and pinion set up for it, it might be manual.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic