TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Port matching Edelbrock Exhausts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Port matching Edelbrock Exhausts
    Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 10:32am
I'll try to post some pics from my phone after starting this thread,
 but how much has everyone been opening up the exhaust ports on their Edelbrock heads to match their headers?
The factory literature says the exhaust port is "CNC-profiled to match Fel-Pro #1434 exhaust gaskets",
 but it really is pretty small compared to the header gaskets I have here,
 especially the roof of the port, and also the dog leg.

I understand the value of leaving a bit of a lip from the exhaust port to the header (helps with anti-reversion),
 but going from the Eddy heads to Doug's d103's (1.75") is much more than a small step up in size.

Just knocking down the edges would probably not change much,
 and I don't know how far I can, or should change the roof line just to port match.

Any input on this would be appreciated
Thanks!

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 10:38am

^this is the Edelbrock 60119 head with the gasket that came with Doug's D103's attached.

Difference is greatest at the top of the port, and ends of dogleg.

Outside two ports are very similar to this
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 10:48am

Here is the same gasket on the flange of the D103's.

There is one small spot that I would clean up on the headers,
but for the most part these match the gasket almost perfectly.

Unless someone says otherwise,
I would want to leave somewhat of a lip on the heads (head slightly smaller than the gasket opening),
but would open up the top and dog leg of the heads so maybe 3/4's of the difference in size was gone.

^Are the ports thick enough on the roof for that?

Is it worth doing?

This will be about a 9:1cr 401 with a straight pattern 225-230 net cam, around 520 lift on 108* lobe centers, R4B & the D103 1.75" headers.

Tigher lobe center cams appreciate a free flowing exhaust,
so I don't want to leave food on the table so to speak by not opening up the port match a bit.

Edited by jpnjim - Mar/29/2018 at 10:53am
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 12:37pm
You should be able to match to that gasket without any problems. 

The heads I got were much higher at the bottom compared to the header gaskets I have and if I were to match it there would have been about .080" on the bottom for gasket sealing. 

I left the bottom and matched from sidways and up. 

With a valve job and porting the ports went low 190's without a pipe. Out of the box the exhausts flowed in the 160 range I think. 

Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 12:40pm
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 12:53pm
a few years ago when they just came out, I had KP port them for me. I do not recall all that was done bit the exhaust ports look similar to the pics. I think the upper runners were increased a little bit. I have found them easier to seal because the header does not need to be modified as much.  
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

You should be able to match to that gasket without any problems. 

The heads I got were much higher at the bottom compared to the header gaskets I have and if I were to match it there would have been about .080" on the bottom for gasket sealing. 

I left the bottom and matched from sidways and up. 

With a valve job and porting the ports went low 190's without a pipe. Out of the box the exhausts flowed in the 160 range I think.

Thanks John!

I was hoping you'd chime in Smile

I'm a little surprised how much more centered/higher your ports were to start,
though I guess it could just be the bolt locations that shifted a bit at some point.

I don't need to get too crazy with this build,
 but why bother using long tube headers and aluminum heads, if I'm going to leave power on the table leaving the small exhaust ports as is.

I just wanted to be sure there was enough material up top to opening it up.
Clap

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by amx2bfast amx2bfast wrote:

a few years ago when they just came out, I had KP port them for me. I do not recall all that was done bit the exhaust ports look similar to the pics. I think the upper runners were increased a little bit. I have found them easier to seal because the header does not need to be modified as much.  

Header seal is a good point (my current set up leaks now!)

but since the non-dog leg side and bottom of these heads are already the same size, or bigger than the gasket I might as well open the ceiling up, where a couple more horses may be hiding. Smile
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 6:42am
I say go for it
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 8:16am
The Edelbrock exhaust has a quite small csa around the bend. In any case there is a massive expansion into the header so matching the flange without doing much more extensive porting is not necessary, and actually probably not a good idea. I'd not bother port matching.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic