TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

plugs from my 73's 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plugs from my 73's 360
    Posted: May/27/2018 at 12:22pm
Pulled today after being at GAD (not racing, running enough to get off the trailer to the show area, loaded again, unloaded and parked at home)
The car ran better before I put the intake baffle on it and replaced the gasket and end seals due to a bad oil leak up front. 
it's ok at speed - horrible idle like it misses badly.
I've not really had time to diagnose, I've done NOTHING but pulled the plugs and looked. 
I am wondering if since the carbs are old Edelbrocks, been in service over ten years, are filthy, if the fact I removed them from the intake and moved them around (tried to keep them upright) and did all that if I haven't gotten some crud shook loose in a carb or carbs.

It's more cold blooded than it was before I pulled the intake, and runs like crap at idle until warmed but then still seems to have an actual miss when at idle and before it warms up completely. After it's good and warm, really warm, or it has been run a bit and shut off, then started again, as if the heat spread a bit in the engine, it's actually better.

Interesting enough - and oddly enough, plugs 1 and 3 are black, the others are more tan looking. Number 5 has a bit of fluff on it while none of the others do.  (keep in mind it's dual quad and although they share a common plenum area, the front carb feeds the front while the back carb feeds the back - the passages are very direct from carb hole to cylinder)

Anyway - like I say, I've not even thought much about it, I have too many other things going, but know how folks like to look and wonder and figure.......... here's the pictures for your viewing pleasure HAHAHA.

Maybe later next month after the dust settles from our trip to Alaska, and after AMO I'll have time to think about this car again..........
Maybe I'll get a compression test worked in and put a vacuum gauge on it although it barely has enough vacuum to power the brakes until it's warmed up and run a while..........

Right now it's too bloody HOT and muggy to even walk outside. Thank goodness for the minisplit I had put in last summer. 

Edited by billd - May/27/2018 at 12:25pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 2:03pm
I'd do a compression check.   But it wasnt missing before? Wonder if the intake has a crack or machined wrong. I'd be looking for a vacuum leak or you probably did upset the dirt in the carburetors........or check for a vacuum leak where they sit on the intake?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 3:12pm
I was trying to catch up on my sleep after GAD, all that driving, the great party, etc..... but just couldn't sleep so, did the compression test. What the heck, the plugs are out so the job only took about five minutes.
I propped the throttles open (dual carbs with open throttles means it had plenty of air to breathe in - you are supposed to open the throttle when doing a compression check anyway)

Keep in mind this is a 280h cam, not a stock cam, so the numbers may be different than expected.
It's not a radical cam with big lope or that sort of thing, but you can tell it's different because the engine comes really alive at higher than typical RPM and the idle isn't perfect, but not bad.

I have NO CLUE as to what was done with the heads - were the heads machined at all? I have NO idea. Possible since the intake fits down solidly against the end seals and the intake bolts aren't easy to start -the rub against the bottom of the intake bolt holes telling me the heads sit a shade, just a tiny bit lower, otherwise they should start in easily if the intake is perfect and all else is equal.

So, open throttles so it can breathe, keep in mind the 280h cam, etc. and totally unknown pistons or head work - and I did three cycles per cylinder so there will be three readings - the initial hit, the second compression stroke, and what it settled down at in the third and final compression stroke - here's the results:

1  110/130/145

3  130/150/155

5  110/130/145

7  125/130/145

2  130/145/145

4  130/145/155

6  130/145/145

7  110/135/140

First compression stroke ranged from 110 to 130
Second compression stroke ranged from 130 to 150
Final compression stroke ranged from 140 to 155
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 3:18pm
First guess would be ignition by the plugs with such little drive time. Assuming you took the ignition wires off.
If it were a novice I'd say #4 and #5 ignition wires were mixed up but if it's an older set of wires then miss-fire from wires running too close in parallel.
#4 and #5 talk ignition to me as fuel should look same side to side and differ front to back.
Vacuum leak is possible but usually takes a while to show. If just the carburetors were removed it should be the same side to side on the plugs. Vacuum leak on a runner/head would show on the corresponding plug. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 3:19pm
Not too bad... I would suspect a vacuum leak or a carburetor problem
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 3:24pm
If you dont trust the compression readings, a leak down will tell you for sure.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 3:29pm
I had the wires off the right bank but double-checked the routing and the order - I left the left bank on.
I only removed the right wires to toss them aside and get them out of my way to remove the intake to reseal it (leaked at the front seal)
I took both carbs off to make the intake lighter and make it a TON easier to get the bolts out - plus I wanted to remove the powder coating which was badly stained (why they powder coated it I have no clue)
So carbs came off, intake came off, right wires came off.
i try to never run plug wires parallel and cross whenever I can........... I know the rules of electronics and electricity now and then   Wink

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 3:34pm
Actually 4 and 5 are two of the better looking plugs. 

1 and 3 are black, the rest are mostly tan/brown.

8 and 7 look more black than the others - 1 and 3 are the most black.

Plugs have been in the car for a couple of years at least BUT I cleaned them all off a week ago when I had them out so all that was left was a tan look to all of them. The black is newer.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

If you dont trust the compression readings, a leak down will tell you for sure.

No reason, I'm not concerned about that. Leak down won't point to the plugs how they look, it would only do any good if I was concerned about a cylinder with low compression - lower than the rest by quite a bit and I just don't have that, so there's no reason to get involved with a leak-down test.
If most ran 145-155 and I had one down at 110 or 120 I might do that, but I don't. There's only 15 psi variation. (other than the initial compression stroke)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 3:41pm
1&3 are black? Sounds like the front carburetor on the drivers side has a problem.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic