TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Plating equipment and supplies to arrive soon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plating equipment and supplies to arrive soon
    Posted: Jul/07/2014 at 1:59pm
Hopefully tomorrow. It will take some time to set up - more-so, find space and place for the equipment and supplies and for the actual plating to be done. (looks like I need to push ahead on the shop addition which will be the result of enclosing all or part of the lean-to on the east side)
This will allow in-house plating of those parts I've been relying on others to plate and on the delivery services to get them there and back. (always taking a bunch of time - and MONEY spent on shipping back and forth not to mention the ever-rising costs involved)

To start with it will include the "gold cad" plating as well as the silver or shiny zinc plating of hardware (can be done dull, too).
Finally I should be able to do plating of the parts and supplies needed for what I currently do with the alternators/wipers/starters.
According to the manufacturer of the supplies and hardware I can do touch-up if a complete "replating" of a part isn't desired or needed. For example on a scratched part or where the finish is thin or gone or maybe because complete dis-assembly isn't on the menu, partial plating or touch-up can be done.

For the farther out future, assuming I ever catch up on the current work, I'm told if I get some of the other supplies/chemicals and combine with the stuff I've ordered this time it could also do refinishing of emblems, like the Javelin script, Eagle and Spirit emblems and so on (including electro-forming - plating on plastic, pot metal and so on).

I'll feel a ton better knowing I won't need to ship other people's parts off somewhere and hope that they get done and not lost or damaged, and make it back safely. All parts will stay with me and not be shipped out. It will also save time as when I calculate the time involved to package, label, track, explain to others which items I need done how - I may as well do them. I also won't have to pay for parts to be plated that don't turn out for some reason and won't have to wait until I have a batch - I can do single parts or multiple parts, my choice finally.

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2014 at 4:48pm
Bill D,  

Please PM me, I have sent you several PM's.......I have been involved in many cadmium, tin, nickel, chrome and hard finish plating operations.....if you need some help let me know....maybe I can turn you on to some tech you may not have access to.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2014 at 9:12pm
Bill - what are you doing for a rectifier? I have been contemplating one of those plating systems also - but the killer is finding a decent rectifier at a price I'm willing to go for.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 1:24pm
Ross you may regret offering technical advice or assistance.   ;-)  No, not really.

I have to start slow and small - I already have too many things going, to finish or get done to venture off into other directions.
This, for now anyway, will be to cover the jobs I already have lined up that need parts plated.

I tend to do well reading and asking questions (good support from this company) and then fill in any holes by asking other folks who actually have DONE such things.

I do eventually plan to do other SMALL things - plating emblems that may be blemished or have slight pits, or that "belt-line" trim on the early Javelins and AMXs that gets blemished or pitted with age.

I already do the "blackening" and basic small fasteners plating.
This gets me into more advanced plating than I've already been doing - which so far has been restricted to bolts and nuts (*examples below - camera sort of distorted the coloration a bit) and odds and ends like the Motorola brush covers used on 1970 and later, the large pulley nuts and lock washers, the frame bolts - those long special bolts they used.

The new equipment and supplies will allow me to handle the "gold cad" or "yellow zinc" like the wiper motor parts among other things.
It will be a lot more flexible, too.

My goal - get built-up and eventually be able to do this full-time and get out of the job I've been doing for these last years and back into what I really like a whole lot more. If I were to be able to "quit my day job", I could get a lot more shop work done a lot more quickly as right now I'm pretty much restricted to weekends and if lucky an occasional evening. (Not been very lucky lately. Shocked  )
Like I told my wife - this is what I really love and if I had days to spend doing it, I'd get a whole lot more done in less time and be a lot happier. I also do better with chunks of time instead of tiny slivers. So - assuming this all works out, the goal is this sort of work - the alternators, wipers, starters and plating of all the things that go along with those items, and add more to eventually put my career path back to the direction I really want it.
I figure as a science nut - having done very well in all the science and physics I have taken over the years, I'll also be using what I already know, and expanding on that.
So yeah, Ross - might pick your brain in the future.

The price of the equipment and first supplies? Take the stuff you see most often talked about on the Internet and double that...... gotta run, time got away from me and there's a meeting in 2 minutes...... more later.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 1:47pm
Been so crazy just took a quick break to take a moment to post a picture or two of the dichromate finish. The camera wanted to make things appear "dark" when I took these - which is odd as usually under my shop lights it washes things out, but the second of those big honkin' industrial lights up there took early retirement so I'm down to 50% light in my shop anyway.
The actual motor frame is a tad darker than I wanted but I can easily lighten that up as the finish is "fragile" for a while after it's plated and treated. In fact almost any solvent can either remove or lighten the color in the first few hours or days. But between it being a tad dark for my liking, and my camera deciding it didn't like the lighting, it looks a lot darker than it should.

As with any finish, auto paint, your roof, plating, painting your siding, whatever, the final result is determined mostly by the prep work and this is no exception. The part must be perfect, flawless as any even minor scratches will be multiplied by the reflective plated surface. It's refracted light vs. reflected light. If it's a smooth surface, the light is reflected back unchanged and the surface his a nice shine to it and appears smooth. If there are scratches or imperfections it changes it much like how sunlight is reflected on the surface of a lake after someone jumps in causing the water to ripple and wave. It can take a lot of time to prep one part if it's slightly rough or imperfect. Rusted parts obviously are not candidates for plating as any pits or imperfections caused by the rust will make the end result look like messed up cat litter. I've got a couple of examples of parts that had minor rust issues but were subsequently plated. Scrap is all they are good for.

Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 8:29pm
That  looks very nice.
 Just remember how they were handled during assembly. you need to put at least one scar on each one
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 8:55pm
Is that mine?
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2014 at 3:29pm
Yup - the end plate is plated and pretty much all other parts are done except for the mounting plate and that's today if all goes well, the final assembly. 
I should get a picture of the end plate and post it.
 - as I do these things I realize that almost everything I do for someone else is better than what I've done for my cars. Good thing that wiper motor won't fit a Javelin. 
Just kidding!

I need to post a photo of a wiper motor frame I did that I got in a trade because it had some really DEEP gouges and scratches in it - where it showed of course. Not any more......   Wink

greenamx is right  I've got two NOS wiper motors - one for the 1970-ish time and a later one on the shelf - the blemishes are amazing, and the scratches in the metal of the motor frame itself, far from perfect.

I had issues with the solutions, and the rectifier - but am nursing it along for now hoping to be caught up and able to send it back for warranty repairs. They said it would be fixed and shipped back out in 2 days, but the shipping of that thing is what takes time - they are heavy and must be carefully packed. I've got the solution issues resolved but need to find a local source of NaOH now.
I've not been able to find it around here unless I'm not looking under enough of the right rocks. 
Need plain pure NaOH, not "contains NaOH" but "IS NaOH". 
And now I have to keep Yawnie out of the shop and get a few of those chemical hazard things to post in the building. 
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2014 at 9:00am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

...need to find a local source of NaOH now.
I've not been able to find it around here unless I'm not looking under enough of the right rocks. 
Need plain pure NaOH, not "contains NaOH" but "IS NaOH".
Not local, but it can be delivered to your door (for a small fee)

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-2/2-lbs-Food-Grade/Detail
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 5:27pm
not to derail here but alot of the Vintage motorcycle guys are looing for green and cad colored bit replating and most of the stuff is small.
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic